JJP WOZ Update Jan 27th 2012

Started 3 years ago by chocky909 in forum Game manufacturers > Jersey Jack Pinball.



JJP WOZ Update Jan 27th 2012

0
Nobody calls this topic a favorite. Click the star to add it to your favorites.

By chocky909

3 years ago

Stats

  • Started 3 years ago
  • 47 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by thedarkknight77

Posting activity (per hour)

8
20:00
Jan 27th
8 posts
9
21:00
Jan 27th
9 posts
10
22:00
Jan 27th
10 posts
5
23:00
Jan 27th
5 posts
2
00:00
Jan 28th
2 posts
01:00
Jan 28th
No posts
1
02:00
Jan 28th
1 post
2
03:00
Jan 28th
2 posts
2
04:00
Jan 28th
2 posts
3
05:00
Jan 28th
3 posts
06:00
Jan 28th
No posts
07:00
Jan 28th
No posts
08:00
Jan 28th
No posts
2
09:00
Jan 28th
2 posts
1
10:00
Jan 28th
1 post
11:00
Jan 28th
No posts
12:00
Jan 28th
No posts
13:00
Jan 28th
No posts
1
14:00
Jan 28th
1 post
15:00
Jan 28th
No posts
16:00
Jan 28th
No posts
17:00
Jan 28th
No posts
18:00
Jan 28th
No posts
19:00
Jan 28th
No posts
20:00
Jan 28th
No posts
21:00
Jan 28th
No posts
22:00
Jan 28th
No posts
23:00
Jan 28th
No posts
00:00
Jan 29th
No posts
01:00
Jan 29th
No posts
02:00
Jan 29th
No posts
03:00
Jan 29th
No posts
04:00
Jan 29th
No posts
1
05:00
Jan 29th
1 post



Games linked to topic

Link this topic to the game(s) discussed in it.

Find in this topic

Show only posts in this topic that match certain words or are written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!




3 years ago

January 27, 2012

Greetings Pinball Fans;

Everyone has been asking for a sound update so today, we are releasing two fantastic music clips composed by Sound Master, Chris Granner. Who better to tell you about the pieces than Chris himself?...

"The Merry Old Land of Oz" arrangement started life in my mind as the main "Emerald City Multiball" background track (more on all the rules at some much later point), and the "show" that starts multiball calls for a big fanfare opening (which you hear in this arrangement). The thing I thought it needed to make it "go fast enough" for multiball was, 1) about 24 beats per minute FASTER than they take it in the movie, and 2) a collection of "inner voices", accompanying textures if you will, that had a little more energy than the "oom-pah" style of the original. Fun, right?! So, I get this together and send it off to Keith, who responds (paraphrase here) "I like it a lot...but it's too happy for multiball." Doh! I went back & read the rule set again. Double Doh! CLEARLY this play state requires something darker. JEEZ! where o WHERE will I find DARK in this soundtrack!?

Although that question has at least two dozen answers, there wasn't much competition in my mind: enter "Night on Bald Mountain" obviously! In the movie, the "fanfare" opening of this arrangement is a REALLY scary gesture in the brass -- which is used throughout that scene for something VERY specific which has its very own place ELSEWHERE in the rules -- so I couldn't use it here. Bottom line: the fanfare for the opening to multiball is still to be revealed, but this tune has this super-intense texture to open, that leads right into that incredible brass anthem refrain, and just NEVER lets up -- PERFECT for multiball! The crazy thing about this is: "Night on Bald Mountain" was written by the Russian composer Modest Mussorgsky and is a wonderful example of the late-romantic harmonic and orchestral style advanced by him and his contemporaries. But I'll tell you one thing for sure: they NEVER played it like the Hollywood orchestra did for the Wizard of Oz! The version from the movie is half-again as fast, tempo-wise; in fact, MY version is at exactly the same tempo as the movie soundtrack's version, and no kidding, in order to "perform" the parts (on my keyboard), I literally had to slow the tempo down by a factor of three in some cases. JUST insane -- really gave me new respect for just how virtuosic those Hollywood orchestra cats were! (If you want to hear the piece performed more as Mussorgsky imagined it, just YouTube "Fantasia Bald Mountain." Remember? And does that mountain top look like a Balrog or WHAT!?)
Anyway, I hope you enjoy these two numbers, at least a third as much as I enjoyed putting them together! To be continued....."

There is a lot more happening every day. Next week Jack is at the Midwest Campus so we can expect more pictures and game progress details.
Have a great weekend!

NEW Music Clip 1 - "MultiBald Mountain"

http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=97azmveab&et=1109157841281&s=4979&e=001hsuTan02tN94JhU4NQbN7OKlANwaQq8p5_v-JvDx6aZfbruHoiSvm7etsQcYBIJ13LrFo90J10QQuZ-7qctL7clA9aEXKjp4y7kw8dJUfkk=

NEW Music Clip 2 - "Merry Old Land of Oz"

http://bit.ly/w8vBOT


3 years ago

Very orchestral for a pin, but interesting. And a nice job getting an edgy effect in #1. I don't know if I'm sold (it's hard to imagine playing to those pieces) but I'm very impressed that they're hiring quality people to really think about these things rather than just pinching clips from the movie. I think this will be a very different pin experience in the end...

Curious to hear what others think of it!


3 years ago

Very interesting indeed. Maybe this originality is a little too much. Maybe its the orchestra sound that seems wrong...they should have got that Siberian group to redo the music.


3 years ago

It's strange to play background music by itself because it's designed to be the one layer of a cacophony of pinball effects and random chaotic audio from the film. I really am excited about this though. A lot more than the new AC/DC no matter how well it plays. The art package on a pinball is really important to me.


3 years ago

I love it. I can not wait to play this machine. I predict a new #1 on the top 100 list!


3 years ago
jwwhite15 said:

Very interesting indeed. Maybe this originality is a little too much. Maybe its the orchestra sound that seems wrong...they should have got that Siberian group to redo the music.

Yikes! ; (


3 years ago

This sounds great.

Clip 1 (Multibald Mountain) is awesome.


3 years ago

I think I can live with that.

Parts of it remind me somewhat of the "TABA" theme on LOTR.


3 years ago

Can't wait to drop a quarter in this one at my local biker bar..


3 years ago
pinball_customs said:

local biker bar

They ride bikes in Canada???? Brrrrrrrr!!!! (though I do see you're just across the pond from Detroit and Buffalo..not THAT far north.....)


3 years ago

I think this sounds great! One thing I love about LOTR is all the well composed music, and this pin is shaping up to out do that. NICE work Chris.


3 years ago
pinball_customs said:

Can't wait to drop a quarter in this one at my local biker bar..

Wizard of Oz in a Biker bar... when gay sterotypes collide!


3 years ago
The_Gorilla said:

They ride bikes in Canada???? Brrrrrrrr!!!!

Not anymore! I sold mine to finance WOZ


3 years ago

Not really no.. in fact I think you get more snow in Iowa than we do In fact it was 46ºF here a couple of days ago! (weird winter)

The_Gorilla said:

pinball_customs said:local biker bar

They ride bikes in Canada???? Brrrrrrrr!!!! (though I do see you're just across the pond from Detroit and Buffalo..not THAT far north.....)


3 years ago
chocky909 said:

Wizard of Oz in a Biker bar... when gay sterotypes collide!

pinball_customs said:

In fact it was 46ºF here a couple of days ago! (weird winter)

VERY weird. We had golfers playing here until 2 weeks ago (normally closed around Thanksgiving)

I am SO behind on winter projects that I have eliminated half of them..


3 years ago

The music is doing nothing for me on its own.


3 years ago

kewl!


3 years ago

This is shaping up to being a colossal pin. I am guessing this music will be "filler" and quiet in the background. Add all of these parts up and I think it will knock most of our socks off.


3 years ago
Whridlsoncestood said:

I love it. I can not wait to play this machine. I predict a new #1 on the top 100 list!

That is possible!
I Like the music, this project seems very thought out and professional


3 years ago

I hope that this is a work in progress and not the final version. Still sounds too "happy" for pinball.


3 years ago
Silverballer said:

Still sounds too "happy" for pinball.

Maybe they could get an assist from Queenryche or Dream Theater?


3 years ago
The_Gorilla said:

Queenryche

an operation mind crime pin would be tits!


3 years ago
chocky909 said:

Wizard of Oz in a Biker bar...

would that be the blue oyster bar?


3 years ago

I love it! It sounds deep, sophisticated almost. Great to read CG's background - it's clear that a lot of thought is going into this game!


3 years ago
robin said:

I love it! It sounds deep, sophisticated almost. Great to read CG's background - it's clear that a lot of thought is going into this game!

+1

having an artist hand draw everything, an audio expert putting the music together, the best programmer in the biz, and all the other top notch talents is impressive indeed.

on top of all that they have a boss that is as passionate about this as the customers are


n2kenai

Pinball addict
4y
1,334,600
3 years ago

The recent buzz has me considering on getting one.
It's sounding great so far.


3 years ago
robin said:

I love it! It sounds deep, sophisticated almost. Great to read CG's background - it's clear that a lot of thought is going into this game!

Agreed.

I think it is starting to become obvious that this game is going to be on another level.


3 years ago

Sounds great not a fan of the theme but I can imagine playing to both pieces or music.


StevenP

Pinball guru
5y
4,380,200
3 years ago
vex said:

robin said:I love it! It sounds deep, sophisticated almost. Great to read CG's background - it's clear that a lot of thought is going into this game!
+1
having an artist hand draw everything, an audio expert putting the music together, the best programmer in the biz, and all the other top notch talents is impressive indeed.
on top of all that they have a boss that is as passionate about this as the customers are

CG isn't an "audio expert putting the music together"; he's a talented musician who is creating and recording original arrangements for this game! That is pretty huge. Light years beyond, say, throwing some standard prerecorded audio tracks into a pin.


3 years ago
shock_me said:

The_Gorilla said:They ride bikes in Canada???? Brrrrrrrr!!!!
Not anymore! I sold mine to finance WOZ

I think that's a very smart move.
As far as I know, nobody has ever been splattered into a quivering mass of protoplasm as the result of operating a pinball machine. Maybe trying to fix one, but playing one ? Nope.


3 years ago
CrazyFliprFingrs said:

I think that's a very smart move

I had to get my priorities straight. I don't really miss the bike, but of course it's winter right now. Spring might be a different story.

I like the tunes so far. I have two Chris Granner pins, Taxi, and TZ and he did a great job with the music on those. All his work sounds awesome with pinball.

*edit* Make that three Chris Granner pins! I just realized Funhouse was his work as well. Great stuff Chris!


RobT

Pinside immortal
4y
18,645,800
3 years ago
StevenP said:

vex said:robin said:I love it! It sounds deep, sophisticated almost. Great to read CG's background - it's clear that a lot of thought is going into this game!
+1
having an artist hand draw everything, an audio expert putting the music together, the best programmer in the biz, and all the other top notch talents is impressive indeed.
on top of all that they have a boss that is as passionate about this as the customers are
CG isn't an "audio expert putting the music together"; he's a talented musician who is creating and recording original arrangements for this game! That is pretty huge. Light years beyond, say, throwing some standard prerecorded audio tracks into a pin.

Exactly.

Anyone can look up Chris Granner's resume on IPDB. Very impressive.


3 years ago
RobT said:

StevenP said:vex said:robin said:I love it! It sounds deep, sophisticated almost. Great to read CG's background - it's clear that a lot of thought is going into this game!
+1
having an artist hand draw everything, an audio expert putting the music together, the best programmer in the biz, and all the other top notch talents is impressive indeed.
on top of all that they have a boss that is as passionate about this as the customers are
CG isn't an "audio expert putting the music together"; he's a talented musician who is creating and recording original arrangements for this game! That is pretty huge. Light years beyond, say, throwing some standard prerecorded audio tracks into a pin.
Exactly.
Anyone can look up Chris Granner's resume on IPDB. Very impressive.

ok, ok, i thought he was a musician but i was too lazy to confirm in my post....sorry


StevenP

Pinball guru
5y
4,380,200
3 years ago
vex said:

RobT said:StevenP said:vex said:robin said:I love it! It sounds deep, sophisticated almost. Great to read CG's background - it's clear that a lot of thought is going into this game!
+1
having an artist hand draw everything, an audio expert putting the music together, the best programmer in the biz, and all the other top notch talents is impressive indeed.
on top of all that they have a boss that is as passionate about this as the customers are
CG isn't an "audio expert putting the music together"; he's a talented musician who is creating and recording original arrangements for this game! That is pretty huge. Light years beyond, say, throwing some standard prerecorded audio tracks into a pin.
Exactly.
Anyone can look up Chris Granner's resume on IPDB. Very impressive.
ok, ok, i thought he was a musician but i was too lazy to confirm in my post....sorry

No prob. You've probably listened to a lot more of his stuff than you realize! (LOTR has great sounds, and the guitar riffs on WPT are just sick!)


3 years ago
n2kenai said:

The recent buzz has me considering on getting one.

Thats what made me order back in June, last day before price increase.


3 years ago

Just got home and listened on my good computer speakers. I actually like it. I have heard some don't. I think that the music must be part of the package and the package is WOZ. I am glad they are making it all work as the movie. I am still thinking this thing is gonna knock our socks off.


3 years ago

AC/DC, WOZ. Can 2 pins be any more different thematically?


3 years ago

Kinda makes me want them side by side.


3 years ago

These clips sound great to me. This pin just layers on the excellence! Clearly top people are being given the freedom to express their creativity. This is going to be big.


3 years ago

I liked the first clip a lot and the second one was so so. Would have to hear it within the context of the game to make a final judgment. Still plenty excited for mine to arrive!


3 years ago

This is awesome. Can't wait for this game.


3 years ago

Hmmmmm,
I am perplexed...
I guess it just sounds a bit "Casio-esque" by itself. Maybe with all the bells and whistles layered in, it will be more robust. At least that is what I am hoping.


3 years ago

And the big question is who will be doing the call outs??

I think pinball music has always been an area of least strength..........

That is why I like the idea of the juke box on AC/DC.

Wow, these 2 pins are different in every way!


3 years ago
Kane said:

AC/DC, WOZ. Can 2 pins be any more different thematically?

When I get the chance to play WOZ I'm going to put my ear buds in and play some AC/DC


3 years ago

Wow, very different for a pinball. It definitely has that casino/slot machine feel. Almost like the sounds you would hear from a carousel ride? This machine will either go down in the history books as the greatest of all time or will be labeled JJP Pinball 2012. I personally can appreciate JJP team's drive for innovation. I do look at pinball similar to the way I look at slots............Slots have done a great job of evolving, but pinball has not. The idea that Jack is adopting some of the newer concepts from slot that have proven successful is just flat out smart!


3 years ago

Sounds fantastic to me. I don't understand why it is that people want or expect change and improvements... so long as everything stays exactly the same way they are now. It makes very little sense to me.

I only wish I had the $$ to fund a WOZ myself


3 years ago
Darkslide632 said:

I don't understand why it is that people want or expect change and improvements... so long as everything stays exactly the same way they are now. It makes very little sense to me.

Funny, I think that is what the people at GM said for years..............That Mantra will destroy a company or industry.



Reply

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or sign in if you already have one.