You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3493.jpg
REPRO-RAMP.jpg
IMAG3332.jpg
jjproadtrip_018.jpg

There are 243 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 11 years ago

I would work anywhere at any rate to feed my family and put clothes on there back. To many people in this hobby are spoiled brats with more money than morals. Go back to your half million dollar house. I know so many people in this hobby locals as well that live in 2 million dollar houses and complain about lame shit like how a snickers isnt 50 cents anymore then they have the balls to ask me for deals on games. HA. 9 bucks for a honest living is the price I pay to keep my mortal soul in the box.

#52 11 years ago
Quoted from mrgone:

there is also the possibility of advancement. wayne neyans started out testing playfields and ended up as vice president. steve ritchie started out building wiring harnesses at atari.
if i was just entering the job market this would be a dream job.
everyone starts at the bottom but you can work your way to the top.

Well said! Everyone starts off somewhere no matter which industry it is.

#53 11 years ago

I would much rather work on a Pinball assembly line than at some fast food restaurant or digging ditches!

#54 11 years ago

I know it would be a massive pain in the neck for JJP, but I wish we could work there for a day as a volunteer. It would be great to be part of the assembly process once, especially if we could assist in building our own pin.

#55 11 years ago

Know what, ya gotta start somewhere. These days, almost any job is a good job. If I were in Jersey and needed work, I'd apply. I'd hope to move up the ladder with hard work, but if not and I was unhappy after a year--I'd move on (well, after I bought my machine at the employee discount). An example of assembly line wages--Taylor Guitars starts their assembly (or worse) positions at 10 bucks, and $10 might get you the lunch special at a very casual (not the kind with waiters) restaurant in San Diego...

#56 11 years ago

It's too bad JJP can't hire some of you guys, at least temporarily as trainers/foremen - that would be an amazing talent pool for sure. I'd be lost once it left the woodworking stage (and I know he outsources that anyway!).

The $9/hr is interesting. I've done a good bit of work with light manufacturers in the poorest parts of the country (the Mississippi Delta for one) and they can't get enough qualified people at $10-$11/hr, even with the low cost of living. No idea how $9 works in a place as expensive as New Jersey. But, it sounds like game manufacturing is even more in Jack's experience zone than pinball design, so I guess he knows how to get it done...

Excited for all those awaiting games - this really is an important milestone!

#57 11 years ago

I started out as a ditch digger and now I'm a successful lawyer. I was able to move up quickly, mostly by blaming all of my problems on Mexicans (some of which may have illegally entered this great melting pot we call America.) So, if it were'nt for illegal Mexicans, then I wouldn't be filthy rich and able to abbreviate the names of my favorire pinball games on the internet everyday or complain about pretty much anything I want to. So I say "kudos" to you Jersey Jack. And at the same time, why is my invisiglass so dusty!??

#58 11 years ago

Hah! I'm sure there are plenty of people like me who make 6 figures or more that would work at JJP part time if they were closer....

#59 11 years ago

$9 will go a long in NJ/NY!! Good luck with that!! Can't wait to see the build quality for $9/hr. Ted ya guys will show up for the discount and quit.

#60 11 years ago

What does Stern pay?

#61 11 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

What does Stern pay?

Probably minimum wage for entry level.

#62 11 years ago

So JJP is on the right track...

#63 11 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

What does Stern pay?

That's the point Ted, look at what Stern kicks out and they are in Chicago where the workers are located NOT NJ!

#64 11 years ago

No matter where, the workers have to be trained, no?

#65 11 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

We see a $9 an hour job and we complain about the wage. This is far from skilled labor and as such it does not demand a high wage.

Indeed... If it does not pay what you expect to make then do not except the job. However, if your skills do not allow you more pay, then learn some skills. Even better, take a low paying job and learn skills while getting paid.

#66 11 years ago

I kind of agree with vid, almost anything day in and day out on an assembly line would become just another $9/hour job. As much as I like to think it would be great fun, the monotony of an assembly line would eventually settle in. That being said, for some people, $9/hr. is better than $7.25 and there's a heck of a lot worse things I could imagine having to build on a line

Out of any profession in the coin op industry outside of game design or owner of successful arcade/barcade/etc., I think being a gameroom tech would be about the pinnacle. That would be a good feeling every day making sure the games played at 100% and troubleshooting problems.

#67 11 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

What does Stern pay?

The woman doing the wiring harnesses said she hired in @ $12.

#68 11 years ago
Quoted from Exejet:

That's the point Ted, look at what Stern kicks out and they are in Chicago where the workers are located NOT NJ!

So what is your point? Are you still trying to convince us that the machine will have drywall screws sticking out with $9 labor?

A $20K job in Jersey is equal to $18,200 in Chicago. Not much cheaper in Chicago.

#69 11 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

$ 9.00 an hour is not the minimum wage.

Everyone thinks it is because Obama proposed it as the new minimum.

$7.25 until further notice.

Some states like Washington have their own minimum wage $9.19

(Just for reference, the McDonald's right across the street from my hotel has a sign "NOW HIRING - $10 AND UP")

#70 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

(Just for reference, the McDonald's right across the street from my hotel has a sign "NOW HIRING - $10 AND UP")

That is what happens when parents coddle their teenagers and don't prod them to get a part-time job. I am really glad I got a part-time job when I was 17 in the warehouse I worked at for 3-1/2 years. It helped promote the teachings of work ethic that my parents had preached while I also learned how to deal with adults in a somewhat-professional environment.

#71 11 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

I know it would be a massive pain in the neck for JJP, but I wish we could work there for a day as a volunteer. It would be great to be part of the assembly process once, especially if we could assist in building our own pin.

That would slow things back five years or so.

LTG : )

#72 11 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

An example of assembly line wages--Taylor Guitars starts their assembly (or worse) positions at 10 bucks, and $10 might get you the lunch special at a very casual (not the kind with waiters) restaurant in San Diego...

Or $10 an hour buys a loaf of bread and some peanut butter and that's lunch for a whole week ....

Are people too lazy to make themselves a sandwich these days?

rd.

#73 11 years ago

I'm confused. I figured they would have already hired and trained their factory workers by now.
Games are supposed to ship this month.

Pappy

#74 11 years ago

Its not a question of how much you make ,but how much it costs you to live.

#75 11 years ago
Quoted from BigOrange:

It's too bad JJP can't hire some of you guys, at least temporarily as trainers/foremen - that would be an amazing talent pool for sure.

That would be dangerous.

Have you noticed any of the posts here that have things like I was changing a bulb and now my game is doing this ?

I do believe he would be better off with people with mechanical skills and no knowledge of pinball and JJP trains them to do what they need done.

#76 11 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

I'm confused. I figured they would have already hired and trained their factory workers by now.
Games are supposed to ship this month.

Like it has been said 1000 times the last 2 years; the big hire and training has to come before production can begin.

#77 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

That would be dangerous.
Have you noticed any of the posts here that have things like I was changing a bulb and now my game is doing this ?

Quote of the year also LTG I was replacing my lightbulb on NBA the other day and now it won't turn on any suggestion?

#78 11 years ago

can't wait to see how good the first woz will look like, who's first here (first 25)?

i guess by the time the hobbit comes out the workers will be much better at it and a better QC.

#79 11 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

can't wait to see how good the first woz will look like, who's first here (first 25)?
i guess by the time the hobbit comes the workers will be much better and a better QC.

All speculation but they are likely to use the stern model - hire temp's but set up the work stations so that you can be trained in an hour, you keep a manager for the QC, thats only if the build does not take them 1.9 years. You get peeks and in production you have to make it scalable

#80 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Like it has been said 1000 times the last 2 years; the big hire and training has to come before production can begin.

Yes I know. I figured this would have happened months ago.

Pappy

#81 11 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

I was replacing my lightbulb on NBA the other day and now it won't turn on any suggestion?

Start pulling and checking fuses with a meter.

We'll hope you just shorted something and took one out.

#82 11 years ago

Do you really think they will have a machine like that and not have top notch Quality Control?

#83 11 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

Yes I know. I figured this would have happened months ago.
Pappy

The moment it happens, there will be pictures galore of a full parking lot, OSHA inspections, Certified HiLo drivers being hired (they make more than $9), exciting times ahead!

#84 11 years ago

WTF happened to this thread?

Hasn't anyone here ever had to work for a living? (with exceptions to the sandblasters and AkumaZeto)

Or had to hire unskilled labor force and make wage decisions?

Shame on you. $9 is a lot of money and does_ put food on the table for a lot of Americans.

And it allows us privileged collectors to buy an affordable, American made, high quality pinball machine.

Good for Jack in starting to build the assembly pool.

#85 11 years ago
Quoted from roc-noc:

WTF happened to this thread?
Hasn't anyone here ever had to work for a living? (with exceptions to the sandblasters and AkumaZeto)
Or had to hire unskilled labor force and make wage decisions?
Shame on you. $9 is a lot of money and does_ put food on the table for a lot of Americans.
And it allows us privileged collectors to buy an affordable, American made, high quality pinball machine.
Good for Jack in starting to build the assembly pool.

#86 11 years ago

The mere fact that Jack is immediately refusing to outsource labor to China means A LOT.

#87 11 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

The mere fact that Jack is immediately refusing to outsource labor to China means A LOT.

You mean we won't get playfield artwork on mylar that wrinkles and comes off ?

#88 11 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Even IKEA started a USA production in VA, because it was cheaper than importing their stuff from China.

#89 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

...and you get a free meal and a spiffy uniform!

#90 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Even IKEA started a USA production in VA, because it was cheaper than importing their stuff from China.

I have read a few articles about that recently. They had 7.9% growth last year and stuff is starting to cost more coming out. Several companies considering moving parts back.

#91 11 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I would bet it's actually cheaper to build pins in the US due to quality issues and cost of shipping.

#93 11 years ago
Quoted from Exejet:

Stern probably pays the same, they also use cheap parts and materials. JJP is producing a game with greater quality than any of the pins that I own. First everyone complained that they were not producing pins, and now that they are , people are complaining about what they pay their workers! I have never seen a post about what stern pats it's employees. People always want to bitch.

#94 11 years ago

Pays not pats.

#95 11 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

AMEN!

Quoted from vid1900:The moment it happens, there will be pictures galore of a full parking lot, OSHA inspections, Certified HiLo drivers being hired (they make more than $9), exciting times ahead!

OSHA only runs the cost up.

#96 11 years ago

Guys- It's a true insult for a bunch of well-to-do pinball collectors to suggest that $9/hr. is "good" pay and that "those people" should feel "lucky" to have such a job. It's a slave wage, pure and simple. Working on a line might not be the most cerebral work, but it is hard work on the body. This is a job of desperation. Unfortunately, many employers are taking advantage of this desperation to justify these wages.

Anyone who thinks that this is a livable wage is either some sick supporter of our race to the bottom for workers or you're directly benefitting from these depressed wages to enrich yourselves. It's pretty disheartening and selfish.

#97 11 years ago
Quoted from Banker:

JJP is producing a game with greater quality than any of the pins that I own.

Pure speculation because nobody owns one yet.
None on location either to establish a record good or bad.

#98 11 years ago
Quoted from cal50:

None on location either to establish a record good or bad.

In my opinion it was easy to tell that the build quality is high based on both the WOZ LE and Standard that I played. Don't get me wrong my LOTR is a solid pin but it's not on the same level as my TZ and STTNG. WOZ is on the same level quality wise to the great Bally / William games and likely will surpass it. Why? Just check out the underside of the playfield on WOZ. There are very little solder points and instead connectors are used for nearly everything which makes maintenance easier for operators and collectors. Also, all cabinet art pieces are printed directly to the cabinet and then clear coated compared to decals put on recent Stern pins which can be prone to scratching. After playing WOZ I felt good about paying in full for a standard as I could see that the level of quality is beyond that of nearly every pin I've played.

#99 11 years ago

Some times a nice zombie factory line job seems like it would be a nice change of pace. Clock in and just turn my brain off and go through the motions.

#100 11 years ago
Quoted from cal50:

Yeah, ok....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball
Boards
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, OH
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Charles Town, WV
Machine - For Sale
Jackson, MICHIGAN
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
Other
$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
Protection
$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
Shooter rods
Electronics
Skillshot Combo
Electronics
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 91.00
There are 243 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-woz-now-hiring/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.