Topic Stats

• 750 posts
  • 132 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Asael
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 74 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Cat_Tat.png
3svgjg-210.jpg
image-226.jpg
index.jpg
tumblr_muyr9eQSJX1sklu1no5_250.gif
spck thumb up.jpg
big lebowski waiting.gif
arnold shut up.gif
WOZ_toy.jpg
WOZ_playfield.jpg
WitchComapre.jpg
The Hobbit - Beorn.jpg
HBFA_Mini_1sht_Comic_Con_RGBres.jpg
girion-lord-of-dale-bards-ancestor-174-years-before-events-of-the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-smaug.jpg
Valuable2-813.jpg
trio.jpg

There are 750 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 15.
#401 5 years ago

I am rather new to the HUO pinball hobby, but in just 2 years in I am amazed at how quick Stern churns out games - and they aren't bad at all IMO.

#402 5 years ago
Quoted from Jetzxi:

talk about hardons holy sh*t, what is your issue?

Thats why he is on my ignore list....

#403 5 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

I'm heartbroken.

#404 5 years ago
Quoted from krupa:

You were completely slamming Stern. It's no different than when people on the other side bring up "facts" about JJP to make them look bad.
Hobbit looks to be shaping up greatly and there is no reason whatsoever to even bring up Stern in this thread.

Crash would be the first to get bent out of shape if someone "stated the facts of JJP past"

#405 5 years ago

Every time I see multiple new posts its almost never actual updates. Mostly bickering about about Stern vs JJP or other crap. I wish we could stick to updates.

#406 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Every time I see multiple new posts its almost never actual updates. Mostly bickering about about Stern vs JJP or other crap. I wish we could stick to updates.

Unfortunately, that will never happen.

#407 5 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

It will be more interactive than the toy picture was posted could be.
And who's to say it's not just a big head?

I was told by Jack that Smaug would interact with the ball with both his head and tail - but that was a long time ago and you never know how these things evolve.

#408 5 years ago
Quoted from Rferullo:

I was told by Jack that Smaug would interact with the ball with both his head and tail - but that was a long time ago and you never know how these things evolve.

Sounds logical as the tail would be the ramp diverter. Could be that it is under Smaug's control at certain points in the game and under player's control at other moments.

#410 5 years ago
Quoted from Rferullo:

I posted this a couple weeks ago, but my theory (based on the playfield drawings) is that the tail acts as a diverter and the head pushes the ball to the subway.

#411 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Eats the ball likely

Does Smaug eat anybody or swallow anything in the third movie? I don't know because I have not read the book.

#412 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

Sounds logical as the tail would be the ramp diverter. Could be that it is under Smaug's control at certain points in the game and under player's control at other moments.

That sounds possible. Jack also mentioned that there will be 2 sets of flipper buttons to "give the player more control". That was an idea that Jim Heck from Mass was pushing for. Pretty cool IMO. Again - thing evolve and changes are made along the way...

Honestly - I can't wait - although I'm pretty far at the end of the line so I'm sure I will be one of the last to get TH.

I have a feeling most of the bugs in the supply chain have been worked out and TH will be cranked out in greater numbers... but I'm just an outsider looking in

#413 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Eats the ball likely

To throw my guess in - I think he may block or swipe at the ball to prevent either hitting him or the orbit/ramp shots...

#414 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Does Smaug eat anybody or swallow anything in the third movie? I don't know because I have not read the book.

nope, not in the book anyway

#415 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Eats the ball likely

As others have noted I think that's very unlikely. His head would have to be relatively large in proportion to the rest of his body and I think most of us are expecting a full body Smaug.

I think the "2 interactive parts" would be the tail (likely as a diverter) and possibly a target on Smaug's body for the "missing scale" that will need to be hit. Quite possibly the head of Smaug is not interactive with the ball (but may still move / be mechanical)

#416 5 years ago

It would be nice if they had new audio of Smaug for this game - taunts, growls, etc. What do you think the chances of that would be?

#417 5 years ago

JJP insiders - Can you drop a date for us that we should be excited about? What do you say?

#418 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

It would be nice if they had new audio of Smaug for this game - taunts, growls, etc. What do you think the chances of that would be?

I think David Thiel and 2 steps from hell will make the music and sound fx epic for a pin

#419 5 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Quite possibly the head of Smaug is not interactive.

I really hope for just the opposite -> Like Smaug will actually interact with the player by speech (and synchronized mouth movement) Imagine he's challenging you constantly with the deep voice, probably even a shaker motor to increase the drama...

That would make it like a living creature inside the machine instead of 'just' a toy.

#420 5 years ago
Quoted from HENSBROOKER:

That would make it like a living creature inside the machine instead of 'just' a toy.

Sounds interesting, not sure about the moving mouth. But it would be interesting to feel if you are confronting the dragon and he is 'aware' of you. Not sure if you would be Bilbo or Bard, or just a pinball 'wizard'

#421 5 years ago
Quoted from HENSBROOKER:

I really hope for just the opposite -> Like Smaug will actually interact with the player by speech (and synchronized mouth movement) Imagine he's challenging you constantly with the deep voice, probably even a shaker motor to increase the drama...

Agreed but likely the head will not interact with the balls. Haha, nice sentence.

#422 5 years ago
Quoted from HENSBROOKER:

lol. Yes, that would be nice. However, from past experience ... we dreamt up all kinds of possibilities for the final witch in WOZ (what she might look like, what she might do, etc). Needless to say we may have raised our expectations a little too high. Better to think very simple and then be pleasantly surprised if they deliver beyond that.

#423 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

No, but I imagine he'll be frying a crap-ton of people to death in the movie with fire.

#424 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

nope, not in the book anyway

I doubt he swallows pinballs then.

#425 5 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

lol. Yes, that would be nice. However, from past experience ... we dreamt up all kinds of possibilities for the final witch in WOZ (what she might look like, what she might do, etc). Needless to say we may have raised our expectations a little too high. Better to think very simple and then be pleasantly surprised if they deliver beyond that.

I actually agree with you CraZ!

#426 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I actually agree with you CraZ!

#427 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

No, but I imagine he'll be frying a crap-ton of people to death in the movie with fire.

I agree with that for sure.

#428 5 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Smaug will contain fiberglass light that changes colors along with his mood

#429 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Better to think very simple and then be pleasantly surprised if they deliver beyond that.

Perhaps we should expect static Smaug toy with a simple tail diverter and that's about it. Anything more could be gravy!

#430 5 years ago

I think David Thiel and 2 steps from hell will make the music and sound fx epic for a pin

Agree. That sounds like an amazing combo for a pin. Having the game feature custom music from 2 Steps From Hell is just awesome.

#431 5 years ago

Smaug will contain fiberglass light that changes colors along with his mood

I thought of this the other day & it makes sense. In the movie, his chest begins to glow burning red right before he breathes fire, so I would totally expect to see this effect implemented with the Smaug toy. Especially if all the GI lighting is turned off & he's glowing red in the back corner, ready to light you up with fire

#432 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

JJP insiders - Can you drop a date for us that we should be excited about? What do you say?

The date one goes out on test would be an important date, I would guess.

LTG : )™

#433 5 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I thought of this the other day & it makes sense. In the movie, his chest begins to glow burning red right before he breathes fire, so I would totally expect to see this effect implemented with the Smaug toy. Especially if all the GI lighting is turned off & he's glowing red in the back corner, ready to light you up with fire

It was suggested to JJP very early on (several times) by myself and others that fiberoptic lighting would an awesome touch. Although I suggested Smaug be sitting on a pile of gold and the fiberoptic lighting could be used to make the pile of gold glimmer.

#434 5 years ago
Quoted from Rferullo:

That sounds possible. Jack also mentioned that there will be 2 sets of flipper buttons to "give the player more control". That was an idea that Jim Heck from Mass was pushing for. Pretty cool IMO. Again - thing evolve and changes are made along the way...

Yes this is one of several features I've been beating the drum for.

There is a diverter in the subway, as well as a second one to turn the main ramps into a U-Turn. I would hope that one or both are player controlled. The diverter in the subway looks to allow the deflection of the ball to the left VUK instead of the right VUK. Under player control, this would allow the player to deliver the ball to either flipper via VUK when it is sent to the subway from the entrance in the orbit. That would really boost flow, as it would allow one to plan/control what shot they will aim for next. The game could also take over at certain points to override the control (e.g. the dragon is messing with you).

I personally gave Jack lots of feedback at Allentown as to how important I think this feature is (it vastly increases the "interactiveness" of the game IMHO). I also indicated that I thought the button to control it should be within reach of the normal buttons (as is done for The Shadow) so the player did not have to necessarily move their hands to activate, but that if a center button was needed to help novice players notice it, the two could be wired in parallel so that either activated the diverter.

-Jim

#435 5 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

I'm heartbroken.

Don't worry Buddy, you're not on mine. I love watching people ratchet up nice and tight like you have the past month or two. Madder and madder until you question everyone around you that says you might be a bit over the edge. Rant on big guy,I'll keep reading them no matter how far you go.

#436 5 years ago

David is great to work with

#437 5 years ago

Hmmm... I love epic music in general.

This is a favorite of mine.

#438 5 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I would hardly call stating the facts "slamming." Unless you have an objection to the other 5 people that agree that originality and quality control needs to be enforced?

They are not Walmart toys - not a fact.
You brought it up in a Hobbit thread why?
Five other people agree with you? Well, that represents a majority of the people here.
You did indeed slam Stern. Your comment doesn't help the hobbit thread and would only potentially lead to derail it.

#439 5 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

I thought that new T-Rex head was intended to be a replacement for the pf Toy? You think it was meant to be a topper? Either way, it never came to fruition ... and more importantly I'm also pretty sure it wasn't Matt who made it (I'm not sure why it's still on the Back Alley website.) Matt seems to have confirmed he is making the Smaug sculpture himself.
I agree 100% that the barrels look very cool (although I still wish they would do something like light up or spin when the bumpers were hit.) I just don't see any great examples of actual characters that Matt has sculpted from scratch where you want to see the detail in their facial expressions and the terror in their eyes. The witch was definitely a letdown and I'm still not sure on Warg.

The T-rex is still on the plate to be made and will look like the one in the right picture. The one in the right side picture is from the stan winston studios and not the one I have sculpted but to show how it will look like. T-rex has been on hold as there have been several woz parts I have been sculpting since I posted it as well as the sculpting and casting of the predator parts. Priorities took place of the t-rex mod. So it's still on the site because it is still "in the works"

I am sculpting the smaug as stated before as well as a total of 8 other items for the hobbit.

#440 5 years ago
Quoted from BackAlleyMatt:

I am sculpting the smaug as stated before as well as a total of 8 other items for the hobbit.

1 - Barrel (with feet)
2 - Barrel (with head)
3 - Smaug
4 - Warg
5 - Spyder
6 - Goblin
7 - Orc
8 - Bag End?
9 - ???

#442 5 years ago

Two wargs?

#443 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Hmmm... I love epic music in general.
This is a favorite of mine.
» YouTube video

This kind of music could really come to use in a 'Timed mode'. Cool

#444 5 years ago

9= axes on slings

#445 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

The date one goes out on test would be an important date, I would guess.
LTG : )™

And that would be September?

#446 5 years ago
Quoted from Jargus:

1 - Barrel (with feet)
2 - Barrel (with head)
3 - Smaug
4 - Warg
5 - Spyder
6 - Goblin
7 - Orc
8 - Bag End?
9 - ???

9 - Beorn/Bard

#447 5 years ago
Quoted from Jargus:

1 - Barrel (with feet)
2 - Barrel (with head)
3 - Smaug
4 - Warg
5 - Spyder
6 - Goblin
7 - Orc
8 - Bag End?
9 - ???

Maybe a bow for the arrow?

girion-lord-of-dale-bards-ancestor-174-years-before-events-of-the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-smaug.jpg

#448 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballkim:

9= axes on slings

I think the axes are plastics...

#449 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Maybe a bow for the arrow?

Yes please

#450 5 years ago

A custom molded topper?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 38.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
6,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 12.99
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Prairie, WI
$ 2.50
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
There are 750 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 15.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside