By txx3ddq442

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

woz switch (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dcfan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 6 years ago

Since you say the switch clicks every time you press it, the two things I would do is loosen the mounting screws on the switch and see if that fixes it (takes pressure off the internal parts), if not then replace the switch.

One other thing, test with a ball rather than your finger because the ball may not be pressing it down as much as your finger. You can bend the arm on the switch to make it more sensitive to the pressure of the ball.

Also, make sure the wires are soldered on well.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from txx3ddq442:

Whether I use my finger or a ball, the switch clicks and electrically closes (seen by multimeter). This leads me to believe that the switch is not goofed. Wiring perhaps. I've reseated the switch matrix column and row cables on the I/O board as well as the interconnect under the playfield.
It's working, at least for now.
What I'm seeing in-game seems a little goofy. If the monkey captures the ball and places it behind the castle door (and the switch works), I get a brief vibration from the shaker motor and a new ball is dumped into the shooter lane. This is my indication that the switch worked (this time). However, when the replacement ball eventually drains, the game doesn't recognize that the 'ball' is over. It sits until it goes into search mode and frees the ball in the castle; it then lets me play that ball until it's drained. I don't think this is normal.

Check the trough opto switches.

#6 6 years ago

As you said this part shows that the switch at the door worked unless the game is programmed to kick out a new ball into the shooter lane regardless of whether the castle door switch is triggered or not:
*Hit Monkey targets to enable ball capture.
*Make right orbit to freeze ball on magnet.
*Monkey captures ball and drops it behind door.
*New ball ejected into plunger lane.

This part appears to show that the trough opto did not recognize that the ball drained unless the game is programmed as stated in the first part above:
*If new ball drains without achieving RESCUE multiball then
---Game continues with no balls
---Ball search opens castle door, releasing captured ball
---Game continues until captured ball drains
---No other ball can be captured (monkey targets are solid, not flashing)
*If RESCUE multiball is achieved with new ball then
---Game continues with captured ball and RESCUE ball (2-ball multiball)
---Once both balls drain, ball over
---Monkey targets are re-enabled (flashing) for another shot at monkey ball capture.

I still suspect it is a flaky trough opto or the castle switch is bad, but it also could be a switch matrix issue. Bring up the switch test screen and see if the status of any of the switches is in the wrong state. I would check the trough with and without balls as well as putting a ball on the castle door switch during the trough testing.

#7 6 years ago

I just hand tested mine. I believe you have an intermittently working castle switch. I can reproduce your symptoms by removing the ball behind the door. I would first try making the switch more sensitive. If that does not fix the problem then change out the switch.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 5.00
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dcfan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-woz-castle-ball-lock-switch?tu=dcfan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.