6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

woz switch (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

I'm having intermittent switch malfunctions with the Castle Ball Lock switch (72) on my WoZ. When not working, every time the monkey drops the ball up there, I have to wait for ball search mode to open the door before anything else happens.

It'll work for a bit then just not at all. If I go into switch test, I can press it 10 times and get nothing then 10 more times it registers. After 10 or so successes, I say 'must be working now' and button everything up. Later, it'll fail in a game. Rinse and repeat.

It doesn't matter if I use a ball or my finger. In either case, I hear the click and if it's in the mood, it registers.

All other matrix switches in the row and column work fine.

A multimeter on the switch tells me (or appears to indicate) that the switch itself is functional. Every time I hear the click, electrically, the switch transitions.

Thoughts?

#2 6 years ago

Since you say the switch clicks every time you press it, the two things I would do is loosen the mounting screws on the switch and see if that fixes it (takes pressure off the internal parts), if not then replace the switch.

One other thing, test with a ball rather than your finger because the ball may not be pressing it down as much as your finger. You can bend the arm on the switch to make it more sensitive to the pressure of the ball.

Also, make sure the wires are soldered on well.

#3 6 years ago

Whether I use my finger or a ball, the switch clicks and electrically closes (seen by multimeter). This leads me to believe that the switch is not goofed. Wiring perhaps. I've reseated the switch matrix column and row cables on the I/O board as well as the interconnect under the playfield.

It's working, at least for now.

What I'm seeing in-game seems a little goofy. If the monkey captures the ball and places it behind the castle door (and the switch works), I get a brief vibration from the shaker motor and a new ball is dumped into the shooter lane. This is my indication that the switch worked (this time). However, when the replacement ball eventually drains, the game doesn't recognize that the 'ball' is over. It sits until it goes into search mode and frees the ball in the castle; it then lets me play that ball until it's drained. I don't think this is normal.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from txx3ddq442:

Whether I use my finger or a ball, the switch clicks and electrically closes (seen by multimeter). This leads me to believe that the switch is not goofed. Wiring perhaps. I've reseated the switch matrix column and row cables on the I/O board as well as the interconnect under the playfield.
It's working, at least for now.
What I'm seeing in-game seems a little goofy. If the monkey captures the ball and places it behind the castle door (and the switch works), I get a brief vibration from the shaker motor and a new ball is dumped into the shooter lane. This is my indication that the switch worked (this time). However, when the replacement ball eventually drains, the game doesn't recognize that the 'ball' is over. It sits until it goes into search mode and frees the ball in the castle; it then lets me play that ball until it's drained. I don't think this is normal.

Check the trough opto switches.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Check the trough opto switches.

All trough optos working.

To confirm what I've witnessed in game, I can repeat this with the glass off. Is there a glitch in the code?:
*Hit Monkey targets to enable ball capture.
*Make right orbit to freeze ball on magnet.
*Monkey captures ball and drops it behind door.
*New ball ejected into plunger lane.
*If new ball drains without achieving RESCUE multiball then
---Game continues with no balls
---Ball search opens castle door, releasing captured ball
---Game continues until captured ball drains
---No other ball can be captured (monkey targets are solid, not flashing)
*If RESCUE multiball is achieved with new ball then
---Game continues with captured ball and RESCUE ball (2-ball multiball)
---Once both balls drain, ball over
---Monkey targets are re-enabled (flashing) for another shot at monkey ball capture.

This is with v6.06.

#6 6 years ago

As you said this part shows that the switch at the door worked unless the game is programmed to kick out a new ball into the shooter lane regardless of whether the castle door switch is triggered or not:
*Hit Monkey targets to enable ball capture.
*Make right orbit to freeze ball on magnet.
*Monkey captures ball and drops it behind door.
*New ball ejected into plunger lane.

This part appears to show that the trough opto did not recognize that the ball drained unless the game is programmed as stated in the first part above:
*If new ball drains without achieving RESCUE multiball then
---Game continues with no balls
---Ball search opens castle door, releasing captured ball
---Game continues until captured ball drains
---No other ball can be captured (monkey targets are solid, not flashing)
*If RESCUE multiball is achieved with new ball then
---Game continues with captured ball and RESCUE ball (2-ball multiball)
---Once both balls drain, ball over
---Monkey targets are re-enabled (flashing) for another shot at monkey ball capture.

I still suspect it is a flaky trough opto or the castle switch is bad, but it also could be a switch matrix issue. Bring up the switch test screen and see if the status of any of the switches is in the wrong state. I would check the trough with and without balls as well as putting a ball on the castle door switch during the trough testing.

#7 6 years ago

I just hand tested mine. I believe you have an intermittently working castle switch. I can reproduce your symptoms by removing the ball behind the door. I would first try making the switch more sensitive. If that does not fix the problem then change out the switch.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I believe you have an intermittently working castle switch.

It was the switch (or more specifically, poor wiring of it). Reluctantly I decided to remove the castle playfield to inspect the wiring on the switch and others in the matrix row/column. Low and behold, the gray/black wire had a poor solder joint and was loose to the touch. This explains the intermittent failures I was seeing.

Resoldering that fixed me up.

Thanks for your help, DCFAN.

woz switch (resized).JPGwoz switch (resized).JPG

#9 6 years ago

These kinds of threads are extremely helpful and informative. Very much appreciate gaining the information ahead of time in case it ever becomes needed. Thank you to all for posting.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 24.50
$ 16.95
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-woz-castle-ball-lock-switch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.