(Topic ID: 333101)

JJP Wizard Of Oz - Definitive GI Light Mod (Orders opened)

By DefinitivePinball

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 201 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by 27dnast
  • Topic is favorited by 31 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5534 (resized).jpg
IMG_5533 (resized).jpg
IMG_5532 (resized).JPG
IMG_5531 (resized).JPG
IMG_5519 (resized).JPG
IMG_5518 (resized).JPG
woz-magnet-bracket (resized).jpg
Standard-vs-advanced-2 (resized).jpg
Image importée 4420 (resized).jpg
Image importée 4421 (resized).jpg
Image importée 4418 (resized).jpg
Image importée 1 (resized).jpg
Apron LED bracket - Back (resized).png
Apron LED bracket - Front (resized).png
Apron LED bracket - Back (resized).png
Apron LED bracket - Front (resized).png
There are 201 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
#101 1 year ago

Please count me in and add me to the list.

#102 1 year ago

Just FYI… you don’t have me marked as “confirmed” on your master list.

I’m in!

#103 1 year ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Just FYI… you don’t have me marked as “confirmed” on your master list.
I’m in!

Very weird as i am sure i already updated you on the list, but it's done now

#104 1 year ago

Confirmed!

#105 1 year ago

Last call to get confirmed for :

bossk4hire
Bondto
Jhislop3
ccbiggsoo7
Oneangrymo
Mr_SoFlow
TheDude75
Frig-N-Ace
Buffaloman
bajm
pinb1
apic7917
Sixtieskid
Kneeno
TxJay
Procoat

If no confirmation received, i will move up all confirmed pinsiders.

Thanks for your understanding

#106 1 year ago
Quoted from Jhislop3:

came back to check on the status Matt and see the actual pix. I am confirmed

Glad I came back to check. Please see above confirmation.

#107 1 year ago

Hello everyone,

During past week, while waiting for members confirmation, i kept doing some tests and validations before final production and i had an improvement/modification idea to the original concept.

After yesterday last tests i am now convinced and will go this new way as i am pretty sure you will all like it. I am excited to share with you some new before/after pictures later today. Another big lighting improvement in the mid/lower playfield area

Stay tuned

#108 1 year ago

So as promised, here is a new visual comparing the actual results VS the modification i decided to work on.

After multiple testings and lux measuring i realised that the new LED light inserts are providing the small extra boost in terms of light diffusion but.... it's barely visible with naked eyes.
Why you would ask ? Because once you reach a cretain high brithness intensity, you need more than 20-30% boost to be able to clearly see the difference.
So i started to look at how improving the experience a little more and tried to add an extra LED placed around the apron center.

You can clearly see the difference in the lower and middle area, even the trees in the haunted forest benefit from this extra ligthing. I honnestly think that this is a better way to go and you will all like it
Final thought is to have 2 extra RGB LED and i am now designing the node that will be driven by the game itself so they can be synced to the GI effects.

I will also provide a basic technique to get the extra 20-30% boost out of the original light diffusers for those interested. It requires some work and tools but 100% doable by anyone.

As always, please give me your feedback guys

Before-After-White-V2 (resized).jpgBefore-After-White-V2 (resized).jpg

#109 1 year ago

I think it looks great!

#110 1 year ago

I hope I’m in time to confirm.
I should check Pinside more often to not miss out on this

#111 1 year ago
Quoted from TheDude75:

I hope I’m in time to confirm.
I should check Pinside more often to not miss out on this

No problem, you're confirmed

#112 1 year ago

It looks better lit, but the playfield looks very cold to me now, maybe too cold?

Hopefully you have chance to take more photos in the weeks ahead. Thanks for all the time you've spent to develop this mod!

#113 1 year ago
Quoted from thewool:

It looks better lit, but the playfield looks very cold to me now, maybe too cold?
Hopefully you have chance to take more photos in the weeks ahead. Thanks for all the time you've spent to develop this mod!

It's the same white temperature as original, just more lit. Maybe it's less cold in reality than it looks on the pictures but it was not something that catched my attention or disturbed me (and i am someone who hate the cold blue LED's you can see on many restored pinballs).

#114 1 year ago

So, are you saying you weren’t seeing a noticeable improvement with mod as is?

#115 1 year ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

So, are you saying you weren’t seeing a noticeable improvement with mod as is?

Not what i say... i just mentioned that the cold/blue effect thewool was speaking about was not seen in person.

As for light improvement, the pictures speak for themselves.

#116 1 year ago
Quoted from DefinitivePinball:

Not what i say... i just mentioned that the cold/blue effect thewool was speaking about was not seen in person.

Thank you for that, I trust your opinion

#117 1 year ago

“After multiple testings and lux measuring i realised that the new LED light inserts are providing the small extra boost in terms of light diffusion but.... it's barely visible with naked eyes.”

I was confused by this… it sounded like you were saying that the mod gives an extra bump, but it’s not really visible to the naked eye.

That’s what threw me off

#118 1 year ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

“After multiple testings and lux measuring i realised that the new LED light inserts are providing the small extra boost in terms of light diffusion but.... it's barely visible with naked eyes.”
I was confused by this… it sounded like you were saying that the mod gives an extra bump, but it’s not really visible to the naked eye.
That’s what threw me off

I was refering to the LED light insert or light diffuser i should said.

Kit was initially made of new LED PCB and a light diffuser. This diffuser is bringing the extra 20% boost but hard to see/feel in reality. Having this optical grade acrylic diffuser manufactured is very expensive because of mold/tools costs.

That's why i decided to allocate time/money on this new improvement refered as "After V2"cause i think the improvement/cost ratio is way better, i just i will be able to find all the components needed.

So stay tuned...

#119 1 year ago

bossk4hire
Bondto
Jhislop3
ccbiggsoo7
Oneangrymo
Mr_SoFlow
TheDude75
Frig-N-Ace
Buffaloman
bajm
pinb1
apic7917
Sixtieskid
Kneeno
TxJay
Procoat

take me off, i don't have the 2.0 light boards it requires.

#120 1 year ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

take me off, i don't have the 2.0 light boards it requires.

They are in stock at the moment if you need them.

#121 1 year ago

Bit late to the party with this one, but what an awesome idea to brighten up a dark (but awesome) game. Love that injection moulded diffuser post too, that's showing some serious skills and commitment to quality. Top work Matt!

#122 1 year ago
Quoted from stumblor:

Bit late to the party with this one, but what an awesome idea to brighten up a dark (but awesome) game. Love that injection moulded diffuser post too, that's showing some serious skills and commitment to quality. Top work Matt!

Thanks Davey

There was some changes during project life and the injection molded diffuser will not be produced due to cost/improvemznt ratio being too high. Instead i re allocated budget developping a node board to drive 2 more RGB LED that will be installed on the Apron. The Node will be driven by the original JJP main board.

Wish you the best for your future mods.

#123 1 year ago

Thanks Davey
There was some changes during project life and the injection molded diffuser will not be produced due to cost/improvemznt ratio being too high. Instead i re allocated budget developping a node board to drive 2 more RGB LED that will be installed on the Apron. The Node will be driven by the original JJP main board.
Wish you the best for your future mods.

The pictures from your original attempt appeared to make things better… so, you’re scrapping that entirely?

#124 1 year ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

The pictures from your original attempt appeared to make things better… so, you’re scrapping that entirely?

I never said i am scrapping that all, i am just modifying the initial project.

My post #108! explains it all, i can't be more clear.

#125 12 months ago

Matt - stopping by to see the progress. Thanks for keeping us all up to date on your efforts to make this mod the best for WOZ. Send me the bill for the first set.

#126 11 months ago

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the silence the past few days but i was very busy and trying to polishing the LED controller board iwas speaking about in my lats post.

I want to order a test batch next week to validate/test it before opening the sales

Here is a quick view of the finished controller schematic :

WOZ LED Com BoardWOZ LED Com Board

Thanks for your patience, good things take time

#127 11 months ago

DefinitivePinball I am still interested! I wasn’t watching this thread. Please add me back on the list (if I dropped off). Thanks!

#128 11 months ago

bossk4hire
Bondto
Jhislop3
ccbiggsoo7
Oneangrymo
Mr_SoFlow
TheDude75
Frig-N-Ace
Buffaloman
bajm
pinb1
apic7917
Sixtieskid
Kneeno
TxJay
Procoat

I hope I’m confirmed ? Didn’t see this

1 week later
#129 11 months ago

Hi everyone,

Very sorry for this silence but the controller is nearly finished, it just needs a few polishings and some markings here and there, but everything's good.
This mod is finally close to be ready in its improved version.

Here is a view of the controller that will drive the LED located on the apron. This controller will be driven by the original WOZ 2.0 system and fully synced with game effects.

Thanks for your patience and support

----------------------------------------

Updated pictures (05/11/23) :

controller-bottom-final (resized).jpgcontroller-bottom-final (resized).jpg
controller-top-final (resized).jpgcontroller-top-final (resized).jpg

#130 11 months ago

A few arrangements here and there, some components checking, some extra labellings and here is the final version that will be sent for production and testings

(see updated pictures on post above)

#131 11 months ago

Very cool, thanks!

1 week later
#132 11 months ago

Alright guys, so here is the update on the controller.

I polished the design and decided to update it (again) to dual LED driver to have real synch'd left/right led light effects, with 2 auxiliary ports to further improve the game later.

All files were sent for production and guess what.... i am facing a problem. The LED driver used in the design and used by JJP is an end of life component they stop delivering since August 2022.
The factory i am working with was lucky enough to find some left stocks but they forgot to secure the needed quantities in time

I am doing all i can to find some extra here and there but for now i am left with 20 pcs only making it a real small batch because now the design is using 2 units in each controller.
I am waiting for some replies tomorrow and i cross my fingers to find some extra and build a few more units.

So this controller will be a really small run anyway, only 10 units possible for now and maybe some more depending on tomorrow answers.
As soon as i will have confirmation of the total units we were able to secure, i will open pre orders to anyone willing to reserve his slot !

I also recommend all WOZ owners to buy a 2.0 kit while they last at JJP cause they will have no way to reproduce them in the future and there is no direct replacement from NXP for this LED driver.
This is the reason why JJP switched to a complete new electronic design starting with Godfather.

In the meantime, here are the 2 new final shots of the controller

Stay tuned, more news to come tomorrow !

controller-bottom-final-V2 (resized).jpgcontroller-bottom-final-V2 (resized).jpg

controller-top-final-V2 (resized).jpgcontroller-top-final-V2 (resized).jpg

#133 11 months ago

There are plenty of asian brokers that sell components years after production has ceased.
That might be possible to find NXP PCU9656
http://www.digchip.hk/stock-PCU9656B%252C118.html
https://shengyuic.com/pdut/PCU9656B/6788385.htm
https://www.viassion.com/products-detail/power-management-pmic/pcu9656b-118/4686578.html

It will probably increase price however

I would like to understand consequence for 2.0 Kit in case JJP is no more able to produce it. Does it mean they will have to design a 3.0 kit ? And if we just need to replace one 2.0 failing board, we'll then have to replace all the boards to 3.0 ? Or could 2.0 and 3.0 boards can be mixed ?

#134 11 months ago
Quoted from julien_06480:

There are plenty of asian brokers that sell components years after production has ceased.
That might be possible to find NXP PCU9656
http://www.digchip.hk/stock-PCU9656B%252C118.html
https://shengyuic.com/pdut/PCU9656B/6788385.htm
https://www.viassion.com/products-detail/power-management-pmic/pcu9656b-118/4686578.html
It will probably increase price however
I would like to understand consequence for 2.0 Kit in case JJP is no more able to produce it. Does it mean they will have to design a 3.0 kit ? And if we just need to replace one 2.0 failing board, we'll then have to replace all the boards to 3.0 ? Or could 2.0 and 3.0 boards can be mixed ?

It’s a tough question as it’s super early to even wonder if JJP will consider producing complete new systems for all their old machines. It’s not just a driver replacement, it implies software modification to address all LED’s so it would be a massive amount of work.
My guess is they will rely on the replacement PCB stock they have to offer repair services. Maybe they made some stock with their factory partner for that specific chip, who knows…

As for the stockiest you’re referring in never trust the stock they announce and I have a solid partner in China that will look for me. I also questioned some other contact I have on Chinese grey market, so finger crossed.

#135 11 months ago

I am wondering why JJP is not relying on a very common of led / led driver combination, like SMD 5050 with its controller we find in all led strips since decades for residential lightning... How will it be possible to repair a 1.X or 2.0 board in 20 years? Why always choosing components that have short lifetime ?

#136 11 months ago

I am wondering why JJP is not relying on a very common of led / led driver combination, like SMD 5050 with its controller we find in all led strips since decades for residential lightning... How will it be possible to repair a 1.X or 2.0 board in 20 years? Why always choosing components that have short lifetime ?

SMD5050 does not really means something. SMD means surface mount and 5050 is the package size of the LED. On my design for example i am using a 5050 3 LED package, but with no integrated driver. JJP used a smaller package size for their design, wich is completely fine based on the output power of the LED.

For multiple reasons you can't use these small LED with integrated drivers. They are cheap quality, limited functions, limited frequencies, all have the same address, etc, etc...
When you do complex designs with lot of LED's, you need an LED driver, it allows you to do so much complex things and address each LED individually, even if you have 200, 300, 500 of them !

How will we be able to repair in 20 years ? that's another question that will be addressed once problems arise. Unfortunately JJP can't read future and predict when a particular component will be discontinued by a manufacturer

#137 11 months ago

I hope you are able to secure more chips. I’m very excited for this.

#138 10 months ago

So let me get this straight... the 2.0 kit that I bought and installed to replace the obsolete 7.5 board set, is now essentially obsolete, itself?

#139 10 months ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

So let me get this straight... the 2.0 kit that I bought and installed to replace the obsolete 7.5 board set, is now essentially obsolete, itself?

That’s definitely not how I would see it or that would mean that all JJP pinballs up to TS4 are obsolete…. this is a non sense

The 2.0 kit is def something you want in your WOZ as it’s the latest and more stable lighting kit for this machine.

JJP will stand behind their products and have consequent stocks to allow repairing. It looks like they have secured all the available stocks of PCU9656 once NXP announced they would discontinue this product.
Consequence = I am having a hard time to find some for my small project.

3 weeks later
#140 10 months ago

Hi everyone,

I know, i've been silent again for some days but i was trying to source more parts in order to be able to satisfy as many as possible.

Unfortunately there is no way to find more of this LED drivers used by JJP, none of the stockists or factories contacted have them in stock. Only thing we can guess is that JJP put their hands on most of the left stocks so they can repair or produce spare boards for the coming years.
Don't forget they use this driver since their first model (WOZ) up to Toy Story 4, so they need to be able to stand behind their products.

Eventually, i was able to source only 20 LED drivers, allowing me to build only 10 Extra LED Board, making it a super limited release. Once they are gone, there will be no more made except the base led kit that comes with it, wich is already a nice improvement.

So what happen now ?

1/ Everything is now in production, so as the journey is over i will update and clean the first post to make it more clear.
2/ I will describe and update prices for both kit.( LED kit / LED kit + extra led board + cables set)
3/ Pre-orders will be opened as soon as PCB production is confirmed with pictures by the factory. (Expect 2 weeks by now)

Thanks for your patience and i hope you will enjoy this WOZ LED Mod

#141 10 months ago

As a complete package requires 23 GI boards (if i remember well), how many complete packages are you able to produce for each kind (kit / kit+extra board)?
On my side, still strongly interested

#142 10 months ago

As a complete package requires 23 GI boards (if i remember well), how many complete packages are you able to produce for each kind (kit / kit+extra board)?
On my side, still strongly interested

Everything will be detailed in original post, but basicly :

25 LED PCB + extra LED board : 10 kits maximum

23 LED PCB base kit : no limits

Base kit price will be updated as it's not including the light rod difusers anymore.

#143 10 months ago

As an early NIB buyer of WOZECLE (#1000 of 1000), I still have the 5.0(?) 7.5(?) version.

My son thinks "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I hate to spend $800(ish) to upgrade to 2.0, but maybe I should.

Your lighting improvement kit looks amazing, however wouldn't be for me without 2.0 upgrade. All the more reason for me to upgrade to 2.0 for starters.

Kerry

#144 10 months ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

As an early NIB buyer of WOZECLE (#1000 of 1000), I still have the 5.0(?) 7.5(?) version.
My son thinks "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I hate to spend $800(ish) to upgrade to 2.0, but maybe I should.
Your lighting improvement kit looks amazing, however wouldn't be for me without 2.0 upgrade. All the more reason for me to upgrade to 2.0 for starters.
Kerry

If you think your WOZ is a keeper, the only advice i can give you is to grab a 2.0 kit @JJP while they still have some. They may not be able to produce them again, or not for long...
At least you have one as a spare and you're pretty much covered with both your systems working: old 5.0/7.5V and new 2.0 system.

2.0 system is actually the same architecture used in all their other titles up to Toy Story 4 if that can make you feel safe.

#145 10 months ago

So will It be a new list or the original list?
Thanks

#146 10 months ago
Quoted from Sijcolo:

Thanks

My question also. Are you honoring the original list?

#147 10 months ago
Quoted from Sijcolo:

Thanks

Quoted from paulbaptiste:

My question also. Are you honoring the original list?

Original list for base kit is maintained, but price will be updated as i will not deliver with the light rod diffuser. I will provide instructions on how to modify your original acrylic rods to get better light diffusion. It requires some time but worth the effort: tested and approved !

As for the upgraded kit with extra LED controller, i will not open a waiting list but will put them on pre-order as soon as production is confirmed. Only 1 set per user to avoid any extra frustration.

Subscribe to this thread to receive notification as 10 pcs will probably go fast !

#148 10 months ago

Original list for base kit is maintained, but price will be updated as i will not deliver with the light rod diffuser. I will provide instructions on how to modify your original acrylic rods to get better light diffusion. It requires some time but worth the effort: tested and approved !
As for the upgraded kit with extra LED controller, i will not open a waiting list but will put them on pre-order as soon as production is confirmed. Only 1 set per user to avoid any extra frustration.
Subscribe to this thread to receive notification as 10 pcs will probably go fast !

Just to clarify. Does the original list get us a spot for the 10 limited run pieces or no?

#149 10 months ago
Quoted from paulbaptiste:

Just to clarify. Does the original list get us a spot for the 10 limited run pieces or no?

Once the original post will be updated and cleaned it will be more clear.
I guess I can use the original waiting list if some of you want to switch from base kit to upgraded once price is live.
Keep in mind running a 10 units batch and custom harness/wiring in such small quantities is overly expensive so not everyone will go the extra step I guess…

1 week later
#150 9 months ago

Hey everyone,

The PCB's have landed, assembly is on its way and wiring harness are also in production. I will also receive more LED PCB in order to have enough stock and satisfy future demand.

I know, i still have to update the original post and i will do it asap.

Have a nice week-end all

Extra LED BoardExtra LED Board

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 91.00
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.50
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 201 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-wizard-of-oz-definitive-gi-light-mod/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.