(Topic ID: 299073)

JJP WIFI Dongle...the correct one...

By Hogey

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC00647 (resized).JPG
    20211017_134957 (resized).jpg
    2021-10-05_10-07-44 (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

I purchased a number of the WIFI dongles recommended by JJP for the WIFI capability on their pins. It's advised on their website that they are the only ones they know work and recommend them. None of them worked. I reached out to LTG and asked for some guidance. He advised that he used the dongles from this link:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/604932/tp-link-archer-t2u-nano-ac600-nano-wireless-usb-adapter

I bought one and it fired right up. The other ones wouldn't recognize the WIFI (showed no networks). This new one fired up immediately and I was hooked up in about 30 seconds. Thanks for the help Lloyd. If you're having issues I'd recommend these.

#2 2 years ago

Thank you for the kind words.

For people adding both WiFi and Bluetooth, you need a hub for both dongles to plug them into the cable by the cash box. Here are the links for the Bluetooth dongle and hub that I used.

Bluetooth :
    https://www.microcenter.com/product/426849/asus-usb-bt400-usb-20-bluetooth-40-adapter <https://www.microcenter.com/product/426849/asus-usb-bt400-usb-20-bluetooth-40-adapter>

USB Hub :
    https://www.microcenter.com/product/485912/inland-4-port-usb-31-(gen-1-type-a)-hub---black <https://www.microcenter.com/product/485912/inland-4-port-usb-31-(gen-1-type-a)-hub---black>

LTG : )

1 week later
    #3 2 years ago

Hello everyone..bought these for my Wonka and WOZ…and can’t get them to connect at all…shows available WiFi..select..enter and save the CORRECT password lol and connect to network and nothing just connection failed..at a loss on the problem..using google nest router..shows signal strength of 97 or 100 130mps…any suggestions on what the problem might be? Thanks

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from michman48162:

Hello everyone..bought these for my Wonka and WOZ…and can’t get them to connect at all…shows available WiFi..select..enter and save the CORRECT password lol and connect to network and nothing just connection failed..at a loss on the problem..using google nest router..shows signal strength of 97 or 100 130mps…any suggestions on what the problem might be? Thanks

If you're seeing the game tell you available wifi and you see your network name(s), the dongle is working. I'd triple check your password

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

If you're seeing the game tell you available wifi and you see your network name(s), the dongle is working. I'd triple check your password

And if the router allows it.

#6 2 years ago

Yes confirmed it with my phone…deleted the network and reconnected by entering the correct password…everything connected..even went to the terms agreement page and accepted even that…at a loss..tell the pinball to reconnect and kicks it back after a minute…hit start button to test connection..just flashes super fast when hitting the start button testing but that’s it

#7 2 years ago

Ok got everything connected and working..issue was with the router..long story short reconfigured and setup a new network for just the pinballs and now works…ohh how I love technology…thanks everyone

3 weeks later
    #8 2 years ago

Have the same issue. Wlan Stick found. Can see my wlan and set password, but it doesn’t connect. With gnr everything works fine, but didn’t get Wonka with 2.01 work. Any idea ?

Greetings

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from sirlonzelot:

Have the same issue. Wlan Stick found. Can see my wlan and set password, but it doesn’t connect. With gnr everything works fine, but didn’t get Wonka with 2.01 work. Any idea ?
    Greetings

What are the security settings on the WLAN you are trying to connect to, if the router supports WPA3 I'd disable that and stick with WPA2, ensure you don't have MAC filtering or any other advanced features enabled. If possible try disabling other protocals for like .11v and .11k, etc.

#10 2 years ago

i gave up, tried everything cant connect. gnr in the same room, without any trouble. i wll try another stick

#11 2 years ago

Some networks will allow you to have a guest Network in addition to your main network, you could set up one just for your pin and make it simple WPA2 tkip no complicated password. Also most routers will let you configure it so that guest clients can't see the main network But they will have access to the internet.
    That would be if you need connectivity for your pin all the time.
    If you just want it temporarily to update firmware you could leave it a guest network open with no password and just long enough to update the firmware and then shut it down. If you don't have a guest network capability in your router You could temporarily set an open network and put it back when you're done updating.
    Just ideas

#12 2 years ago

Is there any scope to fit the plus version for greater signal strength?

https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/usb-adapter/archer-t2u-plus/

#13 2 years ago

ANother Pinsider DrJoe had a lot of issues updating his firmware and it turned out to be mis-configured BIOS settings on the pin's motherboard from the factory.

Quoted from Pinballer73:

Is there any scope to fit the plus version for greater signal strength?
    https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/usb-adapter/archer-t2u-plus/

The pin would need drivers for any other one. I doubt you will be able to use anything else.

So, what router do you have?
    Is your Pin that far away from the router?
    Do other devices have trouble connecting to the router/internet in that same location?

#14 2 years ago

Ive never used my Wifi on DI.

Is there a current list of all I can accomplish at this time by setting it up?

(I dont play tournament, or track scores, so either a link, or someone sharing what it might do
    for a single player at home)

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Is there a current list of all I can accomplish at this time by setting it up?

Main thing is you can update the game easier. Go into Utilities - Network Settings - Update.

Game does the rest.

#16 2 years ago

Thanks Lloyd!

Where would we all be without You?!?!

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from Vespula:

ANother Pinsider DrJoe had a lot of issues updating his firmware and it turned out to be mis-configured BIOS settings on the pin's motherboard from the factory.

The pin would need drivers for any other one. I doubt you will be able to use anything else.
    So, what router do you have?
    Is your Pin that far away from the router?
    Do other devices have trouble connecting to the router/internet in that same location?

Thanks Vespula you make a good point about any other Wifi dongle potentially needing drivers. I went ahead and purchased the one recommended.

#18 2 years ago

I’m having issues with wonka as well. Bought the exact stuff mentioned above. Currently running 2.0 and it shows no networks available when scanning for the WiFi. All my other devices find the network with no issue. iPhone 11, iPad, wonderboom speaker, pc laptop. Is there a setting I have to change on the router to get it to see the pinball machine? Using an asus usb-bt400 plugged directly into the usb by the coinbox and my modem is an Att BGW320-505. I also saw an option on their Facebook page that claims I can just use an Ethernet cable. Where would that plug in on the machine? Thanks again for any advice.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from TonLoc777:

Using an asus usb-bt400 plugged directly into the usb by the coinbox and my modem is an Att BGW320-505.

USB-BT400 is a Bluetooth module, not a WiFi adapter. That’s not going to work. You sure you are using the correct module? I think you want the TP-Link part from the link in the first post.

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinNerd:

USB-BT400 is a Bluetooth module, not a WiFi adapter.

TonLoc777 That would definitely be a reason your pin would be unable to find your WiFi network!

https://marketing.jerseyjackpinball.com/ww/Wonka%20BT%20and%20WiFi%20Support.pdf

2021-10-05_10-07-44 (resized).jpg2021-10-05_10-07-44 (resized).jpg
    #21 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hogey:

I purchased a number of the WIFI dongles recommended by JJP for the WIFI capability on their pins. It's advised on their website that they are the only ones they know work and recommend them. None of them worked. I reached out to LTG and asked for some guidance. He advised that he used the dongles from this link:
    https://www.microcenter.com/product/604932/tp-link-archer-t2u-nano-ac600-nano-wireless-usb-adapter
    I bought one and it fired right up. The other ones wouldn't recognize the WIFI (showed no networks). This new one fired up immediately and I was hooked up in about 30 seconds. Thanks for the help Lloyd. If you're having issues I'd recommend these.

I have this dongle in my willy wonka and it works perfect

1 week later
    #22 2 years ago

Well, this stinks. Got the TP link archer nano as recommended. My home wifi is a new wifi 6 mesh network with tp link deco with 6 nodes, so I would think that the tp link products would work together.

My network shows up 10 different times on Dialed In, and it won't connect to any of them (yes, absolutely sure its the correct password, case sensitive, etc). Uses wpa2. I shared my cel phone mobile hotspot (gogmob), and it was able to connect to that one no problem.

I wonder if my gnr that is coming in will connect to the network no problem or not...

20211017_134957 (resized).jpg20211017_134957 (resized).jpg

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gogdog:

My network shows up 10 different times on Dialed In, and it won't connect to any of them

Dongle is working, it sees networks.

Probably a modem setting ?

#24 2 years ago

I posted about the same thing --- at least the part about Dialed In! showing each individual access point in as a unique entry (in the Dialed In thread)

This is a total guess, but I suspect you need to disable "Fast Roaming" on your Mesh setup. The fact that JJP's WiFi implementation shows each access point individually makes me believe it's not going to be compatible with this feature. But just a guess.

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Dongle is working, it sees networks.
    Probably a modem setting ?

I mean...working? Yes. Working well? No. Unlike every other wireless device that I have connected to the network (dozens of different types?) which shows it as 1 network, this is showing every node it sees, and looks like each band (2.4 or 5ghz) of each node as a separate network. Which at 6 nodes, would be 12 ssids, though it can't see the 5ghz band of far away nodes, so only 10 are listed here in the list.

Anyway, I just spent another 10 minutes just....going through the list and trying each one again a few times. Which stinks...since you have to put in the password EACH time. But randomly it did connect one miraculous time.

Now....I got the idea that I could have turned off all of my nodes except one, then tried to connect to see if that would help. I think it just needs to connect once to get the DHCP IP address and then it would be fine (hopefully).

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from altan:

I posted about the same thing --- at least the part about Dialed In! showing each individual access point in as a unique entry (in the Dialed In thread)
    This is a total guess, but I suspect you need to disable "Fast Roaming" on your Mesh setup. The fact that JJP's WiFi implementation shows each access point individually makes me believe it's not going to be compatible with this feature. But just a guess.

Oh...another interesting idea. Ok, thanks for that. Will try that if GNR doesn't connect well to the network.

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinNerd:

USB-BT400 is a Bluetooth module, not a WiFi adapter. That’s not going to work. You sure you are using the correct module? I think you want the TP-Link part from the link in the first post.

That worked. I feel silly, but didn’t even double check. Just blindly bought those 2 listed items as recommended by jjp without reading the first part of the thread. Works perfectly and had nothing to do with my modem as suggested by jjp support. Thanks again for the help

3 weeks later
    #28 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Thank you for the kind words.
    For people adding both WiFi and Bluetooth, you need a hub for both dongles to plug them into the cable by the cash box. Here are the links for the Bluetooth dongle and hub that I used.
    Bluetooth :
    https://www.microcenter.com/product/426849/asus-usb-bt400-usb-20-bluetooth-40-adapter <https://www.microcenter.com/product/426849/asus-usb-bt400-usb-20-bluetooth-40-adapter>
    USB Hub :
    https://www.microcenter.com/product/485912/inland-4-port-usb-31-(gen-1-type-a)-hub---black <https://www.microcenter.com/product/485912/inland-4-port-usb-31-(gen-1-type-a)-hub---black>

Ordered both. Thanks

#29 2 years ago

I have some dongle issues. My WiFi-dongle AC600 is working fine and I managed to update the Beta1 software on my POTC. However, I am having difficulties with my Asus USB-BT400 bluetooth dongle. According to Bluetooth setup it is connected to my headphones, but still there is no audio. I have tried to adjust the sound volume on the headphones and also at the pin's headphone jack, but still, no sound. The WiFi-dongle and BT-dongle have been attached to my pin via a USB-hub.

EDIT: I tried 3 different BT headphones with the BT400, but none of them worked. Only one set of headphones was able to connect to the BT400, but still no audio. Also removed the USB-hub and connected the BT400 to POTC's extension cable directly. Still, no luck with the audio. The BT400 dongle is probably not compatible then?

Any advice? Thanks!

2 weeks later
    #30 2 years ago

Just had an interesting experience trying to connect my Dialed In to the internet, so I’m leaving this here if it helps someone else. I kept getting the connection failed message. After many attempts I found that removing the apostrophe from my network name allowed the connection to happen first try. Now that it’s connected I’m not messing with it anymore but I’m thinking that there may be some issues with special characters in the network name.

3 months later
    #31 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Main thing is you can update the game easier. Go into Utilities - Network Settings - Update.
    Game does the rest.

I’m looking at upgrading the audio in the house. Thinking about a wireless system for home audio. Would it be possible, with Wi-Fi enabled JJP machines, to hear them through the home audio system? Anybody doing that or know how to?

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from SDpinballer:

I’m looking at upgrading the audio in the house. Thinking about a wireless system for home audio. Would it be possible, with Wi-Fi enabled JJP machines, to hear them through the home audio system? Anybody doing that or know how to?

Not specifically, but my thoughts on this question are for sound, wirelessly you have Bluetooth on the pin, but its a pain to use imo and then the pin sound wont play at the same time.
    If you want the pin sound to work and and your home audio system to both play the sound from the game at the same time, then you just need the line out to feed into an input on your home audio "brain" of the system either wired or wirelessly. If your home audio system receives signals wirelessly, for example, like Sonos, then you need a method/device to feed the wired pin L/R channels wirelessly to your home audio controller. I cant go into specifics, but thats conceptually how I imagine it.

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from Vespula:

Not specifically, but my thoughts on this question are for sound, wirelessly you have Bluetooth on the pin, but its a pain to use imo and then the pin sound wont play at the same time.
    If you want the pin sound to work and and your home audio system to both play the sound from the game at the same time, then you just need the line out to feed into an input on your home audio "brain" of the system either wired or wirelessly. If your home audio system receives signals wirelessly, for example, like Sonos, then you need a method/device to feed the wired pin L/R channels wirelessly to your home audio controller. I cant go into specifics, but thats conceptually how I imagine it.

Thank you for that. I ordered my system which includes Sonos. It’ll be a month or so but when installed, I’ll experiment with the connections and come back here if I have questions. Appreciate.

#34 2 years ago

If you had a pinwoofer system, some models have line out. Another thought. Then something like the Sonos port hooked up to it. I think I just spent almost a grand for you.
    https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/port

#35 2 years ago
    Quoted from Vespula:

If you had a pinwoofer system, some models have line out. Another thought. Then something like the Sonos port hooked up to it. I think I just spent almost a grand for you.
    https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/port

That's the only way you're going to get the game audio playing over Sonos.

2 months later
    #36 1 year ago

Where do you plug in the wifi USB adapter? Anyone with a picture? Thanks

#37 1 year ago
    Quoted from 757_Road_Rage:

Where do you plug in the wifi USB adapter?

The USB cable by the cashbox. Or an unused USB port on the motherboard in the head.

Disclaimer : Call jjp and let them know you want LTG : ) back.

P.S. If your USB cable has a USB Bluetooth dongle in it, you can plug a USB hub into the cable by the cashbox and then plug the USB dongles into it. Something like this - https://www.microcenter.com/product/485912/inland-4-port-usb-31-(gen-1-type-a)-hub---black

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from 757_Road_Rage:

Anyone with a picture?

Here is a picture of a USB hub, WiFi and Bluetooth dongles plugged into the USB cable by the cashbox in Willy Wonka.

DSC00647 (resized).JPGDSC00647 (resized).JPG
    1 month later
    #39 1 year ago

Thanks to folks here, it made finding the right dongle easier, I will let folks know how it goes.

#40 1 year ago

Dumb question: I've got a WoZ RR - what will a WiFi adapter allow me to do? What about BT?

Thanks in advance,
    Jaz

#41 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jazman:

what will a WiFi adapter

Update your game. Scorbit too, I think.

Quoted from Jazman:

What about BT?

Cordless headphones.

#42 1 year ago

OK, picked up a wifi adapter from Lloyd's link... plug and play... worked first time. $15 at Amazon. Scorbit enabled. So similar to Stern connected I guess...

Thanks all.
    Jaz

2 weeks later
    #43 1 year ago

I just got toy story a few days ago and have a similar issue that many have posted about with wifi connecting. I can see networks, will try to connect, but it fails everytime. Password is right and I even use the QR code method to connect and same results. Maybe it's the dongle?

About to open a support ticket with JJP on Monday about it.

Does anyone know what encryption method JJP machines have to use?

#44 1 year ago
    Quoted from CoinGuyNinja:

Maybe it's the dongle?

Maybe it's the settings on your modem producing the WiFi ?

#45 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Maybe it's the settings on your modem producing the WiFi ?

I tried wpa and wpa-2, even set it to auto and it just refuses to connect. I have 15 other devices (Android, apple, PC, soundbar, GE lights, etc...) that all connect just fine on my 2G network. Even my Stern connect machines connect ok so I'm a bit puzzled where the problem is at.

I tried moving the dongle and connecting it right into the PC and have the same issue.

#46 1 year ago

We had a bug (think the fix is pending release) that certain characters didn't work in network name or password, might be that. (If you're technically minded, not escaped properly.) I don't have a full list offhand, but things like ' " \ etc.

#47 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinball_keefer:

We had a bug (think the fix is pending release) that certain characters didn't work in network name or password, might be that. (If you're technically minded, not escaped properly.) I don't have a full list offhand, but things like ' " \ etc.

That makes sense, I have in my networkname and a special character like /!@# etc... in my password. I'll open my guest network and see if that does the trick.

When do you think the fix will be released?

#48 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinball_keefer:

That was totally the issue! I opened my guest network and used a standard password with WPA/WPA2 without special characters in SSID and it connected.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-wifi-donglethe-correct-one and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.