Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 434 posts
  • 119 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by dgarrett
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

jjp#3 (resized).jpg
    cff_(resized).jpg
    IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
    IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
    Laughable-Man_(resized).jpg
    images_(resized).jpg
    quote-if-you-ve-got-them-by-the-balls-their-hearts-and-minds-will-follow-john-wayne-194395_(resized).jpg
    images_(1)_(resized).jpg
    DSC_1342_(resized).JPG
    images_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    stranger_(resized).jpg
    tin-can-telephone_(resized).jpg
    http__mashable.com_wp-content_uploads_2014_03_motorola-dynatac-8000x1_(resized).jpg
    princess_bride_(resized).jpg
    Backglass_(resized).jpg
    There are 434 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 9.
    #101 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

If it was required that you have a cell phone to take calls on, then I wouldn't be able to play it.

I want the machine to call me when im in the other room watching football.....i want it to have the exact same voice as the computer in "War Games"

Would.you.like. to.play.a.game?

#102 7 years ago

"Jill, this is sergeant Sacker. Listen to me. We've traced the calls... their coming from inside that game!"

stranger_(resized).jpgstranger_(resized).jpg

#103 7 years ago

Perhaps a tie in with Twilight Zone Season 2 Episode 22 Long Distance Call with Billy Mumy.

#104 7 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

I was initially fired up about Pat's new pin, but this has all taken so long I've totally lost interest...

Yep. It would have been a much better idea to announce the actual game 4 years prior to the first one being delivered. That way nobody would have lost interest.

#105 7 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

I was initially fired up about Pat's new pin, but this has all taken so long I've totally lost interest...

How is it possible the lose interest in something that isn't announced?

That's like me saying I've lost interest in the next games Lyman is working on. It's been 2 years waiting for something after TWD and I've totally lost interest in whatever he is working on! Not sure what it is, but I'm bored of it already!

#106 7 years ago

Easy. Initial excitement at the "Big" announcement. However, company has a history of dragging their feet getting games out. Nothing happens for months on end after the news. Used to but now don't have room for another game. Lost interest.

#107 7 years ago

Its the 30 years anniversary of the greatest movie of all time.

PLEASE JJP MAKE A PINBALL OF BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA!

The best oneliners ever in a movie and would work so so good and think of the great artwork.

See trailer here:

30 anniversary video:

YES SIR! The check is in the mail.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#108 7 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

I talked to Jack about this about 2 weeks ago and he said they will reveal the game when the time is right. He's happy he didn't take any pre-orders for it and that he didn't announce a date when it would be ready.

I'm very glad Jack didn't take preorder money this time. He can focus on anything else rather than the money coming and going based on an individual's circumstances. I can imagine that being very consuming in its own right!

#109 7 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

I'm very glad Jack didn't take preorder money this time.

I honestly cannot believe that jjp will not take in dialled in money before it is shipping.

#110 7 years ago
    Quoted from TVP:

I honestly cannot believe that jjp will not take in dialled in money before it is shipping.

Well I'm sure he will once it's revealed...it may not be ship-ready upon reveal, kind of like GB. Not really a pre-order, but I'm sure there will be some wait. It's pinball, yo!

#111 7 years ago
    Quoted from TVP:

Relax, it's still early.

#112 7 years ago

Did we have confirmation that it would be a disaster theme?

#113 7 years ago

He did say that there would be a short preorder window for the untitled-yet-dialed-in Pat Lawlor project once it was ready. Also said they've started work on their next (licensed) game. And gave everyone pizza. At Pintastic.

#114 7 years ago
    Quoted from trunchbull:

Did we have confirmation that it would be a disaster theme?

IMO most of the recent pinball themes are a disaster.

#115 7 years ago

I sorta like the idea of a pin contacting your phone but I'm not sure what exactly it would do during gameplay. The last thing I want to do is pull my phone out in the middle of a game to look at it. Maybe it'd be like Pokemon Go, where you point your camera at the playfield and an augmented reality overlay shows you what you have to hit. Or maybe there'd be a little phone holder like for your car, and it turns your phone into a secondary screen.

Quoted from o-din:

Haha.

#116 7 years ago

The reveal was scheduled for 2 years from now, but in light of this thread they have fast-tracked it for next week.

Thanks!!!

#117 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

in light of this thread they have fast-tracked it for next week.
    Thanks!!!

Quoted from o-din:

I get it - very subtle guys. The theme must be a train wreck!

#118 7 years ago

I hope it's not true about interaction with phones. If true it will instantly date the game, possibly even before release due to the fast pace of change in phone technology and popular features. Going forward you'd end up with a machine nobody has a phone old enough to use with anymore. It needs to be really basic stuff that nobody would miss in 2 years time. Of course some people don't even own one.

#119 7 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Yep. It would have been a much better idea to announce the actual game 4 years prior to the first one being delivered. That way nobody would have lost interest.

Exactly.

Frankly, I LOVE the fact that they've said nothing about this game. I know many here LOVED having previous JJP info dribbled out one obscure screen shot at a time (then pieced together in photoshop to try to guess layout), but I found it excruciating. I was so over the Smaug reveal once it happened (which was totally anti-climactic) that I had zero interest.... only now, that I can go drop quarters in the game on location, am I starting to build any interest in the title again.

Re JJp #3, if REAL production is still over a year out, I hope they continue to say nothing about it.

A reveal, followed by a call for DEPOSITS, followed by production starting SHORTLY after (a -la Stern) would be fantastic.

#120 7 years ago
    Quoted from system11:

I hope it's not true about interaction with phones. If true it will instantly date the game, possibly even before release due to the fast pace of change in phone technology and popular features. Going forward you'd end up with a machine nobody has a phone old enough to use with anymore. It needs to be really basic stuff that nobody would miss in 2 years time. Of course some people don't even own one.

Well, the language in the leak never stated that the cell phone located on the machine called your cell phone, just that it "calls you". It could be entirely integrated and offer some sort of additional heads-up display along with touchscreen and audio capabilities. Tells you what shots to make, or perhaps also you tell it what shots you'll make.

#121 7 years ago

Jack told me personally that it could be [announced] at expo or shortly thereafter. And then he said, when it's ready really.
    Pretty sure he learned his lesson with putting dates on things. We have filled almost all our Hobbit preorders and will soon be receiving stock.

#122 7 years ago

I can't imagine a phone game being worthwhile. Most people like to play pinball to get away from their every day lives. Heck everyone is tied to their phones at the hip. So the game texts you insults or high scores or something, just sounds like more junk that someone would have to clear or look at on their phone that is not needed. So how would you play, you would be having some great exciting fast paced game and then have to stop in the middle of it, pull your phone out and do something then go back to the game. Just seems like a flop to me. The only disaster theme that could maybe get away with using your phone somehow, is rescue 911 or something similar. You play as a 911 operator. Your phone rings and you listen to the emergency, then have to shoot certain objectives in the game to help the caller out. Even that doesn't sound like it would be that much fun and I love rescue 911. The best implementation of a phone for the game would be if you could somehow play the pinball game from your phone kinda like virtual pin but you would literally be playing your machine on your phone from hundreds of miles away. That would be pretty cool but I am sure that would command a heft price tag. Not to mention I am sure most peoples productivity at work would go down real quick.

#123 7 years ago

Just a guess, but perhaps game 3 could be about technology/robots/computers taking over the world.

#124 7 years ago
    Quoted from fatality83:

The only disaster theme that could maybe get away with using your phone somehow, is rescue 911 or something similar. You play as a 911 operator. Your phone rings and you listen to the emergency, then have to shoot certain objectives in the game to help the caller out.

Or.....

Thank you for calling Dominoes, may I take your order?

Large deep dish pepperoni and sausage please.

Then hit the deep dish saucer 3 times, the pepperoni ramp, and the sausage loop.

#125 7 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

Just a guess, but perhaps game 3 could be about technology/robots/computers taking over the world.

Perhaps it has an phone app that can be downloaded - optionally - that will enhance the game in some way? Unlocks, progression, checkpoints, scores, etc?

#126 7 years ago
    Quoted from fatality83:

Heck everyone is tied to their phones at the hip

Not every one.

#127 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Not every one.

No wonder you never pick up when I call.

#128 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

No wonder you never pick up when I call.

Don't bother to text either. I've never owned a cell phone.

#129 7 years ago

As other have said above, it isn't uncommon for companies to trade mark feature names and Vid's link above shows JJP has done just that in the past. So I wouldn't be surprised if "Dialed in" is a feature which gets its name from the commonly used term here and by pinheads to mean the game is adjusted correctly. So what would that mean as a feature?

Perhaps the game has a number of physical adjustments which can be controlled by the game's software to "dial in" the game for the player. Playfield auto-level / pitch setting? Automatic shot geometry adjustments that move a post a few centimeters one way or another to make shots easier or harder? Adjustable ramp slopes? Lots of possibilities...

#130 7 years ago
    Quoted from oohlou:

So I wouldn't be surprised if "Dialed in" is a feature which gets its name from the commonly used term here and by pinheads to mean the game is adjusted correctly. So what would that mean as a feature?

A little research can yield a lot more info than guessing sometimes..

http://www.trademarkia.com/dialed-in-86507109.html

#131 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Ah, but why then are people still taking about the theme of the game being phones when the trademark clearly says it is a feature? I guess that is a rhetoric question; either they aren't paying attention either or I missed the joke.

#132 7 years ago
    Quoted from oohlou:

Ah, but why then are people still taking about the theme of the game being phones when the trademark clearly says it is a feature?

Sometimes a feature has a lot to do with the theme.

#133 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Don't bother to text either. I've never owned a cell phone.

Man for being so proud of not owning a cell phone you sure are on your computer a lot.

#134 7 years ago

I think that when you start you enter your cell phone number. Then if you get a tilt warning the phone in your pocket vibrates. If you tilt it you get a mild shock. If you slam tilt it you get a big shock.

I'll enter my friends cell phone number and have some fun.

LTG : )

#135 7 years ago
    Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Man for being so proud of not owning a cell phone you sure are on your computer a lot.

I'm at work. It's what I'm paid to do.

#136 7 years ago

His computer is his only acknowledgement of this century.

#137 7 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

His computer is his only acknowledgement of this century.

And it's quite amazing I ever figured out how to use one...

#138 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I'm at work. It's what I'm paid to do.

Cell phones are just tiny versions of that same computer you know. You can even make phone calls with that computer you are on. Some would argue you are using a phone RIGHT NOW.

#139 7 years ago

Some would argue you are using a phone RIGHT NOW.

No sir! The phone is at the other end of the shop.

images_(resized).jpgimages_(resized).jpg

#140 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

What better way to keep track of scores, achievements etc.. than to have an application on your phone that automatically communicates with the pinball machine (if that's what it does). And, it would only impact people who are interested enough to download the app.

#141 7 years ago

I wonder if I can get that app for my phone.

DSC_1342_(resized).JPGDSC_1342_(resized).JPG

#142 7 years ago

I'm really excited to see what this ends up being. We all know bits and pieces of it, but Lawlor has been VERY secretive with the project, including towards other JJP employees. No matter how much we know about it, there's still going to be plenty about it that's going to surprise us.

TZ is my favorite game of all time. It just has a bit of everything in it. I really hope that this game feels like classic Lawlor. The shackles are off, and he's free to design with few limitations.

My only real worry is that the big innovation or the big gimmick will be just that, a gimmick. I feel like it will be well-integrated, but I'll have to see it.

#143 7 years ago

What's the least effective of Lawlor's gimmicks? I'm not totally sold on the rotating flipper in Monopoly, though I think it has a fun visual impact. He's always been good at integrating theme and gimmick in a way that feels organic.

#144 7 years ago
    Quoted from trunchbull:

What's the least effective of Lawlor's gimmicks?

Certainly not the shaker motor in Earthshaker.

images_(1)_(resized).jpgimages_(1)_(resized).jpg

#145 7 years ago
    Quoted from trunchbull:

What's the least effective of Lawlor's gimmicks? I'm not totally sold on the rotating flipper in Monopoly, though I think it has a fun visual impact. He's always been good at integrating theme and gimmick in a way that feels organic.

It might be the rotating flipper, yeah. That one is just weird.

#146 7 years ago

For sure rotating flipper for me.

#147 7 years ago

Lawlor is inventive / creative. He's not going to have 3 years, unlimited time, money, and talent at his disposal and swing and miss... whatever 'Dialed In' is I'm sure it's cool and NEW.

To my knowledge he's created Powerball, Shaker Motor (ES), Vertical Playfield (BR), Pinball 2000 (RFM), talking heads interacting with the player (FH and RS), fan blowing in your face topper (WW), use of magnets (many), magnetized slings (TZ mini PF), board game on bg (SC), ball jump ramp shot (NGG), small sized game (SC), spinning flipper (Monopoly), Thing flips (TAF), mini pinball machine within a pinball machine (FG / Shrek).... When his ingenuity was probably stagnated by bean counters at Stern, he quit. Name one other designer that's done a fraction of the above things... cue crickets chirping...

I can tell you as a distributor, everything has been tight lipped... I knew a lot about WOZ, less about Hobbit and jack squat about Pat's game... I only know what was 'supposedly' leaked... The one positive thing I can tell you is Pat was surely excited at Expo 2015 and that's not something you always got from him despite his obvious love of pinball. That excitement translates to meaning he's got some really cool shit up his sleeve...

#148 7 years ago
    Quoted from PinballSTAR:

Name one other designer that's done a fraction of the above things... cue crickets chirping..

Ted Zale.

#149 7 years ago

Some of Lawlor's interviews at the end of his career at Stern were interesting, he seemed to be bristling against the top-down management/creative control there.

#150 7 years ago
    Quoted from oohlou:

Ah, but why then are people still taking about the theme of the game being phones when the trademark clearly says it is a feature? I guess that is a rhetoric question; either they aren't paying attention either or I missed the joke.

I think the word you're looking for is "Pinside".

There are 434 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-when-the-reveal-game-3/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.