Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 146 posts
  • 82 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by DS_Nadine
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“JJP versus STERN....Ritchie versus Lawlor”

• Black Knight 94 votes
      38%
    • Wonka 154 votes
      62%

(248 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5FCB8EA7-3C78-45A1-97CE-EC8F31587E30 (resized).png
    F7E75010-9FDB-4516-8A71-158F618CC6C7 (resized).jpeg
    hero_Taxi-Driver-image-2 (resized).jpg
    bucket (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Fytr.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#101 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

My personal take, nobody needs to get mad and tell me to suck their dick if they don't agree this time, chill.
    Black Knight: Great media presentation, strong music, best LCD Stern has done yet, good art, just a complete feeling package. Not an original theme, but a new chapter in a beloved trilogy, just an overall well presented idea. Props to Stern for the no license approach, even if it's a familiar them. I dig the metal vibe, realize it won't be for everyone, not family friendly if that's a concern. Haven't flipped it, but purely from the stream the playfield looks kinda boring. Not bad, just not that interesting, not a ton to do. Might still be fun in a brutal way. Overall the gameplay part that matters seems a little empty and dull though. Pinball isn't LCDs and themes, it's the ball, and this feels like a B effort from The King. That makes me feel eh at the end of the day.
    Wonka: Weak package to me, the art is the slot machine/DVD looking phoned in (the standard cab just gets a logo, seriously?), the music is not appealing to me, LCD looks okay but kinda blah by JJP standards, which are high (JP has done killer work on all the previous games). The movie feels dated to me, and the LCD doesn't seem to leverage it that much, which is half good half bad. Family friendly if you care. Playfield looks fun, 4 flippers, magnets, Lawlor touches, definitely more to do. I'd love to flip it, why the heck not, but no interest in it just based on theme.
    I'd take the Wonka playfield with the Black Knight package over it, that might move my needle. As it is I say neither wins, because there are better options out there already. Why spend your money on this if you haven't already owned all the better existing games? And if you own them all who cares, you've got more money than me, do whatever you want, I don't care. Buy them both you rich bastard lol.
    It's not like any of us have to buy a new game just because it comes out. Force companies to earn your money, pass on the weaker efforts, don't be a cheerleader for companies.

You pretty much nailed it on this one, at least as far as first impressions can go without playing them.

I do think JJP did a fantastic job of integrating the Wonka theme into the playfield and the whole "world under glass" aspect. The game looks fantastic and has that "pop" for sure. People complaining about the theme, what did you expect a Willy Wonka theme'd game to be like?? Anyway, I'm sure this will do well for JJP over time and fits right in next to Woz in their product line. I can't wait to play it, but have come to terms that all my NIB purchases have been high intensity games with awesome soundtracks (MET, TNA, IMDN). I also seem to like shorter playing, simpler, high intensity games in my lineup. Having said that, there's always room for something different. The sound design on this game probably isn't going to do much for me though.

Mega kudos for the lower price point Standard Edition game! This is a HUGE move for JJP and one I appreciate.

BKSoR hits all my trigger buttons on paper at least, in-your-face METAL soundtrack, sound effects, and art/animations. The game seems to be a somewhat brutal short-ball time shooter which also appeals to me. I'm a big BK fan so the nostalgia aspect is a win here too. Buuuuut, I hate the right flipper heavy nature of the PF and low number of shots/things to do. Looking forward to playing one to get a better idea of the actual "fun" factor. The Knight toy is cool but not sure it's really doing much. So conflicted at this point. I WANT to love this game...

All in though how amazing is it that in 2019 we have two solid new games from Steve Ritchie and Pat Lawlor going head-to-head?!

#102 5 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

I made the same observation. Both games playable by public for the first time last night. Wonka had lines all night long. BK you could walk up and play any time. For what that’s worth.

Well aren't there a lot more BKSoR games on the floor to play than Wonkas?
    Also BK has brutally short ball times vs Wonka I imagine.
    Plus there's simply more to look at/explore on Wonka vs BK in terms of shots and PF gismos.

#124 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Yeah I don’t see any clear winner
    Both pins will sell to their fans

Well you couldn't ask for two more different games. These are complete opposites of each other in theme, music, artwork, audience, difficult, etc.
    It's great to have choices!

#127 5 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

By the way I liked BK pro more than premium. I thought BK was pretty cool. It’s a mean game though, missing shots get punished.

So you were able to play both the Pro and Prem there? What didn't you link about the Prem?

#137 5 years ago

Re-watched the SDTM Gameplay video for Wonka last night. Nicely done really shows off the game in a way that is much better than a typical overhead view.

One thing that I’m wondering (hoping someone who’s played it can confirm ) is that there doesn’t seem to be any build-up or tension in the callouts, etc. It’s like la-la-la oh here’s a multiball, la la. Boring?

I like my games to pump me up, but I’ve found most JJPs sadly lacking in this dept.

Thoughts?

#144 5 years ago
    Quoted from Zavadoza:

I liked both at mgc.
    Funny story: Steve Ritchie came up to me near the Wonka machines and asked if I had played it. I told him to play a game with me and he said he wanted to, but people would take pics. Him and Pat go way back. Too bad they can’t just play each other’s games at a show.

The answer is for Steve and Pat to play each other on both games and let them take all the pics they want. Some things should transcend product competition.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Fytr.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-versus-sternritchie-versus-lawlor?tu=Fytr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.