(Topic ID: 290919)

JJP Toy Story (any rumor confirmations?)

By Trojanlaw

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,049 posts
  • 661 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by Chris25810
  • Topic is favorited by 93 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

49E1AA8F-FA29-4F4D-B1BC-1F5A44288A70.jpeg
9A992D2B-FA2B-40FC-AC43-58772CB9538B (resized).jpeg
AC614DA1-F00B-4054-9170-C4D1150B344E (resized).jpeg
IMG_2068 (resized).JPG
IMG_2067 (resized).JPG
72EC51DA-CB1D-4978-8995-03B6B558B128.gif
IMG_3625 (resized).jpeg
224F7BE6-01B8-447C-A998-C3554FBB37C8 (resized).jpeg
GabbyFacemask.jpg
ken_doll_meet_bensons_dummies_by_noureldeinm2003_df7k99y-350t (resized).jpg
86234446-23FA-456B-AC4A-4CF71F767F09 (resized).jpeg
090C9D93-1C0E-4270-A892-121040E8D562 (resized).jpeg
435E7D06-9C0D-4553-AEA9-BE1CE86855F7 (resized).jpeg
6B64B962-6BD0-422D-9BE2-249F80844320 (resized).jpeg
7CBACD5F-A487-4F5E-A9F2-593649FDCD98 (resized).jpeg
AB374773-1B6A-44D9-9D32-700496F69930 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zaphx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1309 1 year ago
Quoted from APfan1:

I have seen it. Very early incarnation of the machine, but I know what the theme is as well as a couple of the mechs.
That's all I'm saying for now!

1qjz3c.jpg1qjz3c.jpg
#1317 1 year ago
Quoted from PinDeadHead:

IMO, if it is based on a movie no one has seen yet (“Lightyear”) there will by a major negative reaction from the Pinhead community. It has to be based on either TS1 or TS1-4

I actually hate the theme. I can look past a bad theme for a great game though.

#1334 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The playfield bit that was visible looked like Jessie's chaps, which eliminates the Buzz Lightyear movie and reinforces that's it's Toy Story (and most likely TS4 based on the development timeline).

Wait what? Visible where?

#1362 1 year ago
Quoted from ray3127:

Overall I'm not worried about call-outs or limited assets/IP. At the TPF seminar, Jack cited "full assets" as being one of the most important components of deciding what titles to create. They're not going to make games that they can't do "the right way." To me, that bodes very well for Toy Story.

I just want it to be a fun game to play with good code and goal progression.

I can forgive asset issues if the game is great. After all it is a pinball machine not a $13K DVD player for one movie.

#1385 1 year ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:

I just want army men

People are going to glue so much crap all over this thing.

#1398 1 year ago

For anyone who listened to Kaneda's show today, please do not hit me up to buy my CE slot!

- Yes, I hate the Toy Story theme.
- That doesn't mean I'm not buying it because I am.
- It's not for sale until I've played through it, because all pins can be fun despite the theme. I can look past it to the gameplay.
- "Played through it" means months (or years) and thousands of plays.

#1401 1 year ago
Quoted from Noma2017:

And “enjoyed it” means 10,000 plus plays like your Wonka!!!

We are about to hit "payoff" on Wonka! Over 12K plays. 12,500 is the break-even.

#1405 1 year ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Do you have a job!lol

Truth is, I barely touch it now because my wife has claimed every score on the machine by a large margin.

She tends to load up all 4 players and hammer the machines for hours.

#1436 1 year ago

Wow, everyone's starting to get a little nasty in here.

Aren't we excited by a new JJP drop?

#1448 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I’m with you Derek, 12k plays on Wonka, that’s crazy!

Susan and I have each gotten 4 golden tickets...once. It has such a brilliant layout of goals and rewards.

I bought a playfield and plastics set so I can rebuild it to new when sales time comes because nobody's gonna touch it with that kinda use otherwise! (The playfield actually looks great for the wear though)

#1551 1 year ago

Those of you hating on high gas prices may enjoy the EV thread...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-i-hate-evs-thread/page/30#post-6971695

#1624 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

We need more of this and less market speculation bc spoiler, CE sells out on less than an hour.

Yep. Guaranteed.

#1731 1 year ago
Quoted from Medic:

Sorry if it has been answered before. Will CE be built before LEs?

I doubt it. That has never happened to my knowledge, they do them after a few months on the LE line. Sometimes many months.

#1739 1 year ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

And with a cut off date.
Crazy in hindsight now, wish they would have made more.

That CE was really small levels of bling difference though, so demand was not as high.
The CE's have been upping their game a little each time and demand seems to follow.

Pirates CE: Different art/playfield package, radcals, motorized topper
Wonka CE: Different art/playfield (sparkle) package, radcals, topper, under-cabinet lighting, signature plate, custom callouts
Guns CE: Different art/playfield (sparkle) package, radcals, topper with speaker system, under-cabinet lighting, rear-cabinet lighting, signature card, signed drumsticks, Coma lock mech

#1749 1 year ago

Unless I misunderstood, JJP is selling CEs direct too, right?

So why is everyone worked up over this? They aren’t gone…yet.

Sure it will be a launch day scramble but it’s premature to whine don’t you think?

#1784 1 year ago
Quoted from romulusx:

We all are pretty sure that the next JJP pin is TS but there’s no hint of what their next title is?

Kaneda's already posted his guess for the next JJP.

I hope they can keep a lid on things going forward, personally. Surprises are fun.

#1793 1 year ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Where do you guys see Kaneda’s posts? Instagram?

He has a podcast you can sign up for Patreon.

#1841 1 year ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Would love it if JJP beefed up the scoring, as not a fan of low scoring games.

Not gonna happen. Sane scoring is a hallmark of all JJPs.

I personally think games that award 1M points for plunging the ball are absurd.

#1847 1 year ago
Quoted from konghusker:

What good does it do to text Joe early? According to him he doesn’t take names for a CE list and it’s supposed to be fair game for everybody. You saying you get out on the list before everybody else?

He has a long history of harassing his distro when new games come out and seeking approval for doing so here.

#1858 1 year ago

No, I really don't care for it. Or most other DMD-era games. I got into the hobby in the LCD era and I'm hooked there.

#1932 1 year ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

My guess is thats the CE as I don't think JJP has ever built a game with a custom shooter rod

Wonka CE had the gobstopper.

#1933 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yeah, that has to be the CE. There's a pretty strong reflection of the shooter rod on the cabinet, so possibly foiled or very high gloss cabinet art.

Or those sweet glossy radcals! I'm a sucker for radcals.

#1938 1 year ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Your right...I forgot about that

IMG_0280.jpgIMG_0280.jpg

#1943 1 year ago
Quoted from adol75:

I remember reading something about JJP going standard after JJPOTC and not doing widebody anymore.

And I remember Eric refuting that on a podcast, saying there is no mandate against widebodies.

#1987 1 year ago
Quoted from abelelectronics:

I am taking preorders for the next JJP game. You can PM me if you would like to get on my list or text 586-530-8206. We are a JJP distributor based out of Michigan for those who are not familiar with us.

^^ Can vouch for Gary, he's my JJP pimp.

#2108 1 year ago
Quoted from Coindork:

I feel like I should buy a bunch of dolls right now.
Could make a killing in the mod market.

Naw man. Buy a giant bag of sporks and pipe cleaners and get rich making Forky mods.

#2109 1 year ago

I look forward to the diorama crowd putting so much crap all over the place that the game is no longer playable at all.

#2533 1 year ago

As predictable as the tides, once revealed Pinside shifts from excitement and anticipation to complaints and disappointment.

Remember all the bitching when Wonka came out, that there weren’t enough mechs and toys? And how it turned out to be one of their best games from a player’s standpoint?

For me (and Susan) the shots/code are king. Over 12K plays on our Wonka CE and we still love it.

I predict this one will be similar for us. I can’t wait to understand the code and rules!

#2571 1 year ago
Quoted from Looprunner:

The issue for me is price. I'm fairly certain Wonka was much cheaper when it was revealed. This is just one game I will have to play first. Then I'll make my decision.

Oh you're absolutely right about that. Wonka was a 12.5K CE.

The price is a bitter pill for me also, these games are getting dangerously close to the point I just pass.

#2725 1 year ago
Screen Shot 2022-06-14 at 9.22.56 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-06-14 at 9.22.56 AM.png
#2746 1 year ago
Quoted from badgerx23:

I relooked at the picture and zoomed in, your right. I swear I saw something about a drop target though.

IMG_0280 (resized).jpgIMG_0280 (resized).jpg
#2788 1 year ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

You must have been on vacation when godzilla was released. Worst thing we said about that was godzilla looked like a watermelon.

Cheers for the folks who like it but Zilla did not resonate for me at all.

#2816 1 year ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Yep. It shows when the licensor respects pinball. Rick and Morty is a great example of a modern license where the creators were "all in". The callout work is stunning and gives the game a personality that is missing from most games today. Kudos to Spooky for making it happen.

And yet the code was so thin and repetitive that within an hour of gameplay you've seen everything the game has in it, whether you're good or not. That game lasted two weeks for us.

#2836 1 year ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Wow, I love the fast flow, combos and humor (and I tend to like pretty tough games). If you were bored in an hour, the game wasn't dialed in or setup correctly. Dialing the game in took me 2 months, btw. In any event, different strokes.

I gave it two weeks and over 1000 plays.

#2847 1 year ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Well, that doesn't mean your game was playing to all it's potential (the Spooky builds are really inconsistent). If the game was dialed in and playing like mine, you just have bad taste...what can I say?

I know how to set up games and make sure they are working.

My problem was the code. I had zero incentive to keep trying to get better, because all of the modes were randomized at low levels of accomplishment.

Contrast with Wonka where the payoff for the 4th golden ticket is awesome and keeps us trying and trying to repeat.

#2896 1 year ago
Quoted from Freakyguy666:

I own that Printer…where do you get your toner? It’s expensive….

I don't remember - I've only had to replenish it twice.

Does yours go offline frequently and require a powercycle?

#3066 1 year ago
767C3F78-2F0A-4546-B6F5-13D9522ABDDF.jpeg767C3F78-2F0A-4546-B6F5-13D9522ABDDF.jpeg
#3089 1 year ago
Quoted from J85M:

Don’t think anyone is saying anything about gameplay other than waiting to see how it shoots, peoples complaints are with regards to the aesthetics, mechs or lack of, underwhelming theme integration.

And that’s my point.

Judgement cast without even seeing gameplay much less trying it.

I guess the diorama crowd is disappointed.

#3095 1 year ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Dude, give it a rest...Enjoy your CE, I'm sure you will play it 15k times, so that's $1 a play.

I hope so! Definitely got our moneys worth on Wonka.

#3117 1 year ago
Quoted from wesman:

It seems to be based primarily on screen engaged gameplay though, versus gameplay based on actual mechanical devices.
This is not why we pinball.

It worked really well in Wonka though. Everyone was similarly crabby when it launched but people grew to appreciate it in time.

I predict the same here.

#3236 1 year ago
Quoted from johnnyutah:

Game looks like it will shoot well but man. They put cake toppers on the machine. Cake toppers.

I mean...if they didn't do it modders would have

#3408 1 year ago

Glad to see the SDTM video turned some people around on the game. It made me considerably more excited.

#3456 1 year ago
Quoted from jandrea95:

It should bother you as its fucking horse shit. They really couldn't differentiate the differences in the 2 games so they felt compelled to withhold some fucking audio clips that were already bought and pay for?
Not sure why I am surprised coming from a company who changed their warranty mid production.

This isn't new. Wonka CE also had special callouts. Cope.

#3475 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Did you watch the JJP Gameplay video? That drove me from “not buying” to “never wanting to even play it”. The sound FX are horrid and extremely annoying. The bell ringing spinner sound will make people smash this game. They’ve learned nothing about sound design since WOZ’s shitty DING DING DINGs. High pitched bells are ANNOYING.

I thought the sound package was great, but I like Wonka's too. Subjective response.

#3483 1 year ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

I'm sure there are plenty of people who threw themselves into it. That animation looks amazing, but it also looks like a slot machine.

Oh god, we've gone from "sounds like a slot machine" BS to "looks like a slot machine" BS?

Do better, Pinside.

#3595 1 year ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Yeah the gameplay looks pretty fun to me. I love the franchise. My kids dig it too.
I always get wrapped up into the Pinside negativity. It’s so damn toxic.
Life is short. Pinball is fun.

Never forget that Pinside killed Pirates.

#3608 1 year ago
Quoted from tdiddy:

On it......
[quoted image]

Stop.

Just stop.

#3615 1 year ago
Quoted from Kevin_LHeureux:

I'll 5th that. Zach has been nothing but straight forward and honest with me. He's gone out of his way for me many times including offering to completely disassemble his brand new Godzilla LE for a part mine was missing. It would have been a major pain for him to do but he offered. Best distributor I've ever used. Honorable mention to the old days buying pins with Jack at Pinballsales. He's was great too

I couldn’t agree more. Zach is an asset to our community.

#3628 1 year ago
Quoted from Hoss_Coog:

It's a beautiful pin and looks to be fun to shoot, but no assets from Toy Story 1 and 2 is a deal killer for me. It's a bummer because like everyone else, I've been looking forward to Toy Story for several years. That's OK because I'm now waiting for JJP's "Police Academy 5: Assignment Miami Beach" in 2025.

Serious question. Why are the assets a deal breaker?

We are here to make pinball shots and achieve pinball goals, right? Not to watch the movie.

#3737 1 year ago
Quoted from thewool:

They are dellusional!!! Why don't their marketing/design people get their act together and give people what they want at a price which will sell bucket loads.

And yet, they had their biggest sales day in history.

https://www.pinball-magazine.com/?p=4586

Maybe the Pinside hive mind is wrong!

#3768 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballj:

I am really looking forward to playing this game. Now it is the long wait!

I believe I got what I wanted from this release which is smooth shots and deep code. Like Wonka.

#3974 1 year ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

The sounds and music came straight from a slot machine

This comment is the dumbest thing said on pinside, every time it comes up for every game.

#3984 1 year ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Only comes up for guilty games and is not dumb when it’s another person’s impression.

This same stupid comment was levied at Wonka. "The sounds were ripped from the Wonka slot machine" "The audio engineer is a slot machine engineer"

I remember pulling up Wonka slot machine videos and they sounded nothing at all like the Wonka pin.

Pinside always gonna pinside things.

#3988 1 year ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Hmmm, someone has a bad attitude about others opinions it appears. Have some class and stop calling others comments, stupid.

Exactly the same impression most everyone gets hearing TS4.

"I don't like the sound package" is a valid subjective opinion.

"It sounds like a slot machine" is parroting Pinside BS talking points.

#3992 1 year ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

It is an effective way to describe the problem.

I genuinely disagree, respectfully. Here's why.

If you want something changed, you need to be able to articulate the problem.

"It sounds like a slot machine" is vague, nonspecific, and when compared side by side with a slotmachine provably untrue leaving the developer nothing to fix.

Now, in Cary's hatefest video, he specifically pointed out a shrill spinner bell sound that irritated him. Ok that's an actionable talking point. If a lot of people come to the same conclusion, perhaps a softer sound or volume/pitch change will take the edge off. Or even an option "disable spinner bell" if it's truly a thing.

#3994 1 year ago
Quoted from m00nmuppet:

Watching the gameplay vid, I think what people are reacting to is that the sfx are such a frantic mish-mash of random cartoony sounds, there's really nothing else to compare it to except a row of different video slots all hitting different combos and payouts non-stop.

This was also a criticism of Wonka. People didn't understand why all these callouts from all these different characters were going on.
Once you understand the rules, those specific callouts are communicating status to you for kid progress and such.

All this stuff is done with purpose, it's not randomly thrown into a blender. THe purpose may not be immediately apparent until you spend some time with the game.

#4044 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It’s shorthand to describe an aesthetic.
-Drag & drop library sound FX
-Shrill annoying sound FX
-Shitty synth music
David Thiel & Jerry Thompson are making music digitally, but you wouldn’t know it as their music sounds like real orchestras & instruments. It’s professional, rich, compelling. Their sound effects are well thought out, pleasant, unique, and well mixed. Wonka & TS have an unfinished temp style synth soundtrack & rando annoying sounds - that is common on apps & slots. The guy who does their music - his resume is, guess what: apps & slots.

Well you're not going to get any pushback from me on the incredible talent of David Thiel. I hope he returns to work on JJP pins now that Derproot is over.

#4085 1 year ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I worked @ NeXT/Apple for 20 years, developing a little language that enabled people to right apps more efficiently.

Dude - awesome. I consider that work to be some of the most consequential software development ever. It still powers todays greatest innovations.

I’ve made my living developing on apple technologies and there is a reason my Twitch channel is “NSPinball!”

#4125 1 year ago
Quoted from Kevin_LHeureux:

It's highly unlikely they flew Tim out for a recording session for several reasons including unnecessary cost.

Maybe I am misremembering but isn't that what Joe Katz said happened in the SDTM video?

#4157 1 year ago
6jx7ne.jpg6jx7ne.jpg
#4161 1 year ago

I stand corrected this sounds JUST LIKE Wonka and TS4. /s

#4242 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

This comment is completely ignorant of the recent history of JJP launches that follow the EXACT same pattern:
2016 - Dialed In reveal - massive hate and snarky "a cell phone pinball? Dad jeans on the hero?" comments that turned into, it's...actually okay! Some people think it's JJP's best.
2017 - PotC reveal - grousing and complaining about lack of wheels, non-functional chest, giant area with Depp's face. This feedback and the cancellations BEFORE ANYONE EVEN PLAYED IT (including ME, but I course-corrected a few weeks later and got one) in any numbers caused JJP to cut the run short. Then when people got to play it, it became VERY desirable and is now the most expensive JJP on the secondary market because of the very short run from all the initial cancellations and complaints (plus it's a GREAT game).
2019 - Wonka reveal - "It sounds like a slot machine" - "BRAT Multiball?" - "Where's the innovation?" - "Rehashed Lawlor's greatest hits" (some of these may have been from me) - Annnd, people like-to-love it, and sales have been fine.
2020 - Guns n Roses. "There's too many multiballs" - "I hate the songs" - "Can we replace the music?" - and yet, demand was off the charts. And, if it hasn't passed WoZ in sales, it eventually will due to the massive start.
2022 - Toy Story reveal - we'll see, but so far the pattern is holding with a strong start of complaints and whining about it being Toy Story 4, DESPITE persistent rumors that it WAS NOT going to be TS1, 2, or 3 and WAS, in fact going to be TS4. I'll have one next week to form a firsthand play opinion. Karl DeAngelo's supposed to have his any day now, too. Interested to see what he thinks...

The PinMonk wisdom is sound.

#4281 1 year ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

JJP is not gonna fuck you bro, quit simpin. Thanks for the cool 80's casino sounds though. Great point.

Facts are facts. It doesn't sound like a slot machine. Saying an untrue thing over and over doesn't make it so.

If you don't think I can be critical of JJP, you're wrong. They just haven't disappointed me yet (aside from playfield issues which is technically their vendor)
I just really like the way they make and structure games, especially from the code/rules standpoint.
They are the ones that have resonated most with me so far.

fuck-me-right (resized).jpgfuck-me-right (resized).jpg
#4287 1 year ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

You apparently haven't played any slots lately.

True and a fair point. I consider slots to be ATMs in reverse.

#4294 1 year ago
Quoted from Breger1:

However, I will say I sent and received an email same day this week about my POTC not starting up. Problem resolved. So let's hope this is getting turned around with them.

Did you have to jump start the PC? If it starts randomly rebooting look at swapping the PC power supply.

#4339 1 year ago
Quoted from 6S3NC3:

Can we all agree that the biggest problem with TS4 is the price? If it was priced correctly I think it would not be getting all the hate. Maybe the standard will be the one to go with? Any news if they are doing a standard? unless the remove the jump ramp. That would be a total loss.

If they had a standard wouldn't they have announced it? I think we're looking at 2 trim levels for this game which honestly I think is about right.

Now, I will agree the price hurts a lot and is probably causing a lot of the vitriol.
Then, Pinside thrives on it so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#4385 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Come. On. the 10" LCD with frame does not cover 25% of the playfield. I'll measure it out for you when it shows up, but I imagine it's in the 15% range. THIS is exactly the kind of exaggerated complaints based on video alone I'm talking about.

Just like GNR. "I don't want to play constant multiball with a flashlight waving in my face."

These people hate everything.

#4387 1 year ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

Finally got some time on Toy Story for 12k I was not impressed game seemed very average. Also, after handful of plays minor stuff but still, Gabby stopped registering and upper flipper were sticking. IPAD in the corner seemed lazy, but I did like the Caboom ramp was fun to shoot at.

You got "GIaNt iPAd iN ThE CoRnER!!!!" but forgot "SoUNdz LiKE A SlOT MaCHiNE"

You only get 1 of 2 possible Pinside haterade points.

1 week later
#5228 1 year ago

I'm going to Cidercade this afternoon with a set of good headphones to try it out.

#5234 1 year ago

I liked it!

#5238 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Nice succinct review Derek!

Not much point in elaborating here, right? It'll just get labeled as simping for JJP, I'll get called a shill, etc.

#5292 1 year ago
Quoted from bane:

Tesla still sucks. Prius sucks. All electric cars suck.
Long live the internal combustion engine and all of its sonic glory.
Death to electric cars!

You should take this to the "I hate EVs" thread.

#5340 1 year ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

themes or code rules, the two areas that ruin jjp games

Subjectively, I really like JJP's code rules. It's what keeps me coming back.

#5344 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I’m thinking the FOMO sales tactic is over for Spooky Damon.
Flippers got screwed.
Spooky needs to just sell a game and see who wants it without the drama. Pump the brakes

Rick and Morty lost me as a Spooky customer. I won't say for life because, never say never, but they have a very steep hill to climb to get me back.

I hated the code (which shows you everything regardless of how well you play) and I hated the build which rattled like a 30 year old hatchback filled with woofers.

It was a dream theme too.

#5376 1 year ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Same here on dream theme. I had one for 3 weeks and sold it back to the guy I bought it from. Couldn’t stand it. Love the modes but just too damn repetitive. Scary Terry was awesome though. Very clunky game. Brick and Morty

Extremely repetitive. Also jank-ass flippers that would get knocked down from a hold (WTF?)

It lasted two weeks and 1000 plays for us. I was accused of buying it to flip which I most certainly did not.

#5392 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It was clear PotC was a hot property about 4 months after release once people actually were able to PLAY it in person and realize they made a huge mistake by cancelling their order over two wheels and a trunk lid. Supply dried up FAST once that happened.

100% true and exactly my experience. I pulled my preorder over trunk/discgate, and when I finally played one on location I was like....

arrested-development-season1.gifarrested-development-season1.gif
#5444 1 year ago

Quit calling it a "giant iPad."

It's not an iPad. iPads respond to touch.

It's a screen. And not THAT much bigger than the ones in Guns and Wonka.

#5451 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Please be sensitive to snowflakes. It resembles a giant IPad in your opinion.

Not a snowflake, but I make my living developing for iOS devices so the terminology matters to me

#5476 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I guess playing Dialed In is hard for you with its giant iPhone? Must feel like work.

I don't have a lot of time on DI yet, but want one in my lineup at some point.

I love what I do so it's not work.

#5505 1 year ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

I should be getting my NIB Wonka LE this Wednesday… from your comment sounds like Wonka will take a while to beat?? I’m an average player so I’m assuming it will take me a long time to beat Wonka.

We've been playing it since July 2019. Only got to 4 Golden Tickets once. More importantly, we still care enough to keep trying.

The rewards for success keep us chasing the dragon.

#5511 1 year ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

This is just really hard to wrap my head around.

Wonka is our favorite too. I find most people really like it once they wrap their head around the code.

#5515 1 year ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Video assets don’t gel with game action.

Provably false.

Welcome to the Factory mode: Shows scenes from the gate including the somersault, Charlie, etc.
Inventing Room mode: Shows scenes from the inventing room, riding the bicycle mixer, etc.
Good/Bad Egg mode: Shows scenes of the geese, eggs being polished, Veruca trashing the place etc.
Fizzy Lifting Drink mode: Shows Charlie and grandpa floating up the tube
Wonkavator MB: Shows the scene with Charlie hitting the button
Gobstopper MB: Shows the machine for locks and Wonka doling out a gobstopper on launch

#5522 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

Market has spoken JJP. We won't let you cromwell us. I'm in on Godfather CE bc I LOVE that theme but if it comes out like this, I'm out again.

Ok I gotta take issue with this.

Bitch about the price hike, or what you wanted in the game. Don't buy it if you don't want it.

Ken's job is marketing JJP products. And he's also a hell of a nice guy. Don't make this personal.

#5529 1 year ago
Quoted from srmonte:

JJP messed up this game hard. I really wanted to buy one. I was pressing jack and Ken about when it was coming out. I like toy story, also could get past the ts4. But the game mechs and design are not even worth 8k. This is a 6500 dollar game so so disappointing. I would pay 15k if it was good. But it's not

How many times have you played it?

#5541 1 year ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

do you "really" need to play a game to know if its for you or not ?

Yes?

#5545 1 year ago
Quoted from RebelGuitars:

Maybe you’re not hardcore?

I wouldn't say that. My pins get played thousands and thousands of times. We take the time to learn the rules, strategy and nuance of our pins.

Quoted from pinghetto:

I played this game a lot. I don't like it. And that's ok just not to like a game.

Absolutely agree.

Quoted from Palmer:

Can the same argument be made for all the fanboys who defend the game before playing it?

Sure.

Point is, if you've already decided the game sucks based on the Pinside haterade talking points (and without even playing it) you're doing yourself a disservice.

I guess if you don't play your games much, and just want an expensive diorama to glue stuff into, how it looks matters more than how it plays.

The inverse is true for me.

#5548 1 year ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

So how do you determine what a game "feels like when playing it" without playing it?

Exactly. Wonka streams turned me off but once we got (and learned) the game it became our favorite that we still hammer daily.

I personally try to give a game a couple solid hours of play before writing it off. For games I buy I won't sell until I've put 500-1000 on it.

#5549 1 year ago

Not to be pedantic but "Derek" please Derrick is one of these:

Wooden_Derick_-_Kern_West_Oil_Museum_(3355730344) (resized).jpgWooden_Derick_-_Kern_West_Oil_Museum_(3355730344) (resized).jpg
#5575 1 year ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

While im ok with the screen, I agree they should have made it an etch a sketch. Maybe somebody can do a mod.

To me the obvious mod would be the Tiki Party pinball machine.

#5588 1 year ago
Quoted from underlord:

We aren’t running a business nor are we employed by JJP. Possibly Zaphx. Not convinced about him;

If I worked for JJP I would have built my own CE by now.

#5590 1 year ago

Played some more on location today. Gabby Gabby never popped up (possibly shut off or damaged?)

The "giant iPad" does a really good job of telling me what to shoot.

Someone took my grand champ.

#5747 1 year ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

They are a very good distro and are now selling TS4 LE’s below MSRP.
Going to get real interesting quick.

Citation needed - looks like they are quoting $12K on pinballs.com

#5752 1 year ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

I was going off their add (sic) on here pinside

You mean this?

Machine - For Sale
Toy Story 4 (LE) Archived
NIB - New in box (distributor/business) - “*****IN STOCK***** Please visit our web site - www.pinballs.com Automated Services / pinballs.com has 400 new & reconditioned pinball machines in stock and we are an Authoriz...”
2023-01-13
Milford, CT
Archived after: 111 days
Viewed: 673 times
Contributed for this NIB listing

$2 under MSRP is *technically* under MSRP I suppose...

#5782 1 year ago

Play nice kids. It’s just pinball.

#5798 1 year ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Add 3 mushy flippers

The flippers are quite good now, even under sustained load on location. I really believe something here has been improved.

#5800 1 year ago
Quoted from brucipher:

I love my Dialed In, but it is always a bit of a shock playing one of my other machines (Stern, CGC, etc.) and then firing up a game on Dialed In. I eventually adjust, but "mushy" is a great description. Wish there was a mod or factory update to change this.

Bump the default power 1 or 2 points (the least amount possible to make the ramps.)
It's a decent workaround.

#5803 1 year ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Oh cmon Derek that’s a lot of hassle man!

So is Pinside but here we are.

#5881 1 year ago

What happened to the gopher in No Good Gophers? Did he have the same dirt issue?

#5890 1 year ago

The solution here is pretty obvious.

GabbyFacemask.jpgGabbyFacemask.jpg
#5904 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

What pitch should the game be set to?

The paperwork with your machine tells you:

- Align the top of the bubble with the second line from the bottom.

#5908 1 year ago
Quoted from Freakyguy666:

Just curious…is this actually accurate? It seems practically EVERY JJP game says “2nd line from the bottom” but the pitch is not intended to be the same for every JJP game….what are the chances this is just inaccurate boilerplate language that JJP reprints with every game?

My assumption is (was?) that they design them to the same angle. I could be wrong, it happened once.

#5978 1 year ago
Quoted from romulusx:

The word on the Franchi podcast directly from Jack is they reverted back to the way they were doing them before. Meaning the way they did The Hobbit playfields.I’m guessing by the lack of flaming here on Pinside there is no issue with TS playfield.It’s possible we might find something else wrong though?

[citation needed] - I didn't hear that.

2 months later
#6011 1 year ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

This for me is a poor pinball year. The only game standing out is godzilla, which looks spectacular, but the theme gives me nothing.

Wasn't Godzilla last year? I seem to remember it winning several TWIPYs.

#6021 1 year ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

I have to say, it is WAY more fun than I thought. Getting my own hands on it to tune the flipper power and level it combined with not having to wait forever at a pinball show is all the difference in the world.
My initial reaction is that the hate for the game itself is based on the price (which, yes, does absolutely suck) and ppl be lettin’ dat bleed into dey opinyun.
I’m shocked at how much I want to play again tbh.
We’ll see how it earns! We’ve always thought it would be a killer theme for earnings as we get decent kids traffic on weekends and regulars have been clamoring for the subtle variety that JJP brings.
TLDR:
Gabby’s ugly and I want to bash her face in.

I'm really glad you're enjoying it!

The price hikes (all manufacturers) have soured me substantially on NIB pinball.
It brings me no joy to say this.

#6023 1 year ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

You can come over and play my CE anytime.

Thanks! I might just do that. I hate location pinball - something is always broken or dirty - but personal collections tend to be good experiences.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 299.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Eville Pinball
Armor and blades
$ 11,500.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place
Pinball Machine
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 35.00
$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
10,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Old Saybrook, CT
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 649.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Interactive
$ 11,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Kennebunkport, ME
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Machine - Pre-order Spot
St. Clair Shores, MI

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zaphx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-toy-story?tu=zaphx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.