(Topic ID: 290919)

JJP Toy Story (any rumor confirmations?)

By Trojanlaw

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,049 posts
  • 661 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by Chris25810
  • Topic is favorited by 93 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

49E1AA8F-FA29-4F4D-B1BC-1F5A44288A70.jpeg
9A992D2B-FA2B-40FC-AC43-58772CB9538B (resized).jpeg
AC614DA1-F00B-4054-9170-C4D1150B344E (resized).jpeg
IMG_2068 (resized).JPG
IMG_2067 (resized).JPG
72EC51DA-CB1D-4978-8995-03B6B558B128.gif
IMG_3625 (resized).jpeg
224F7BE6-01B8-447C-A998-C3554FBB37C8 (resized).jpeg
GabbyFacemask.jpg
ken_doll_meet_bensons_dummies_by_noureldeinm2003_df7k99y-350t (resized).jpg
86234446-23FA-456B-AC4A-4CF71F767F09 (resized).jpeg
090C9D93-1C0E-4270-A892-121040E8D562 (resized).jpeg
435E7D06-9C0D-4553-AEA9-BE1CE86855F7 (resized).jpeg
6B64B962-6BD0-422D-9BE2-249F80844320 (resized).jpeg
7CBACD5F-A487-4F5E-A9F2-593649FDCD98 (resized).jpeg
AB374773-1B6A-44D9-9D32-700496F69930 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robbyirl5.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4207 1 year ago

Play this game before you come to your conclusion. It comes together so well between the music, the use of voices which make you forget Forky is even in the game (buzz and woody), the buttery flowing Lawlor shots, the really kick-ass jump shot, the GnR-like light snow, and just the overall fun.

If there is an issue, maybe it’s too easy (a few wide shots)?

I was ready to cancel my order (thought we had a pre-school theme empty playfield game), but after playing it, did the exact opposite and bought an LE while I have a CE still coming (had extra comfort due to the thriving stock market

My 2 cents on the topic that people seem to be getting bent about!

#4213 1 year ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Wow thanks for sharing your opinion
It’s good to hear some positive!
Where are you able to play at CP Pinball?

I played at St Louis escape last night and in my home office tonight (he had one out of 5 LE’s left, delivered today)! About to go play some more!

#4216 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

There seems to be a ton of disappointed people with the game and pricing here on Pinside.
I get it but where are the 1,000 people that bought CEs and several hundred LEs that went delivered the first day?
There must be a whole other world of the pinball hobby outside of this place?
I suppose it’s true that Pinside is just a small part of the hobby.
It’s surprising to me that the CEs all sold through, some at higher than MSRP, and so many LEs have already been delivered.
Tough to argue with what the market is saying right now. Like it or not

Better question is how many people have actually played it and really don’t like it?

#4436 1 year ago

Another 3-4 hours playing, this game is so good.

#4505 1 year ago

I guess only here can you suggest that people play a game before judging it and get called a “JJP account” lol. So here’s the deal, I buy nearly game that comes out, from JJP and Stern, as noted in my collection. I like the products of both companies and for those that know me, my favorites have been for some time now, Wonka and either GZ/JP, one of each brand.

So now we have a bunch of grown adult males (I’m assuming) arguing over a game because of “toys”, I’d say that the majority the people doing the hating have either not played it (because it plays amazing and if you’re into pinball to play and not stare at it, I think it would be hard to argue this), or have some pre-existing reason to hate it. It’s part 4, initially this bugged me too (pre-school theme), but then guess what, Toy Story 1-3 are kids movies too (neither of which had been part of my life since my kids watched them 10 years ago!). Tim Allen’s significant involvement (after he got booted from the new “woke” Lightyear) is enough for me, and he’s the main voice of the game.

The iPad doesn’t get in the way, it covers the top of a busy U-Turn ramp (unlike the static Grogu on Mando), and the Tiki game/multiball is a great mode. The code in this game is the gem, and the Lawlor layout is, a Lawlor layout. Even the little flipper (which in my opinion sucks on TAF, IM, and anywhere else they exist) is actually a good/easy shot (with the layout).

You folks who’ve made you’re mind without playing, if you enjoy playing pinball and like the feel of a TAF, TZ, DI, Wonka, etc, you’re missing out and the more people that play this, will be more evident. If you like Hobbit and WOZ (wow lots of toys) over the games I’ve mentioned above, maybe this isn’t for you (other than it’s pretty easy).

What’s a little annoying is that like most first run JJP’s, it’s required some tuning (which I think I’ve got solved!). Another detractor for good players is that the ball times I think are very long and it’s pretty easy (but so far the code has kept it from getting boring for me). But for most people that makes it fun, especially kids we’re trying to get into the next generation of the hobby so it doesn’t die with the boomers!

My humble opinion

#4513 1 year ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

That really made me lol
So I have to put about 40 hours of gameplay on a machine before I have a right to review it....
Strongly disagree. I can tell if I like a game after just a few plays, because I know what I like

I think 500 games is a little extreme, but there is something to playing it awhile before reviewing. I bought Twilight Zone based on it being rated so high, never enjoyed (or understood) it in location, glad I did as it’s a favorite. Same with Deadpool LE, bought it because everybody said it was good. Pretty vanilla and was ready to sell before I played it for 2weeks straight and actually learned the rules beyond the surface (that multiplier rebound shot is awesome), and now it’s one of my favs. On the other end is the honeymoon period. When I got Hobbit I thought it was awesome, then it got boring as hell after 30 games.

#4544 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

Let's be honest here, it's not the "lack of toys" on this one, it's the Lack of toys FOR THE PRICE" and "Lack of toys FOR A JJP PIN".

Do we value our pins on how much we could part them out for and sell them? That would make WOZ and Hobbit really valuable. I personally consider anything with a time element (having fun myself and with others) to be of much greater “value” than the actual cost of the parts.

Would a magnet in that empty space that does nothing other than bend you over without even buying you a drink first (found on Wonka and TAF) make this a better value game? To me, no!

Again, my 2 cents.

#4547 1 year ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

For those of you that have played TS4, are there any satisfying difficult shots? Is there good flow on the ramps? At this time in pinball, designers need to give us something to write home about!

Yes! The kaboom jump shot through two benson posts through a hoop of amazing LED’s and shaker craziness is really great. Ripping the woody spinner is really satisfying even though it is immediately stopped and dropped. The save Forky combo is incredibly satisfying.

It’s full of easy shots (left ramp, Buzz pop area) but there are some really hard shots as well (road trip lock and believe it or not, the very narrow scoop).

#4603 1 year ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Was curious what JJPs TS4 Play field looked like after removing from the BOM:
$26 cake toppers (these were surely even less through bulk buying)
$29 - 10” LCD (JJP purchased even more so the individual price was even cheaper)
+__________
$55 of the BOM’s probably most expensive parts removed.
Take away the art…surprising how barren it is, even more than thought, as not much is left. JJPs BOM has to be so low even the bean counters have been breaking out in hysterical laughter. Because that MSRP price tag of $12k to $15K has been actually accepted by some buyers as being just fine, as long as the empty PF is fun to play!
JJP board room decision makers think: “boy did we ever pull one over on the FOMO crowd this time. See we told you people would buy anything that mainly has artwork/photos, with lots of software/video code and tons of LEDs plastered all over the PF. A new virtual video game era for pinball has begun! Stern made an empty PF with Beatles for nearly half the price. We just proved we could 1 up Stern and get people to buy it for nearly twice. Wait till they see what we come up with next!” LOL!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

So…. Are you going to buy one?

#4635 1 year ago
Quoted from manadams:

You would see me posting negatively the TS 4 club thread if I was trying to stop anyone from buying the game but let's be real here, negative comments on Pinside isn't going to block anyone from buying it. It's cool that you are critical of them on certain things, only way they get the message to go back to the WOZ glory days is for people to vote with their wallet.

Watching somebody discuss WOZ “glory days” over any shooter pinball by Lawlor tells me that people’s taste in pinball varies incredibly. I’ve got a WOZ and I’d almost rather just look at it than play it!

#4740 1 year ago
Quoted from rob3:

Yeah, based on looks it's Wonka lite. Based on playing it I'd call it a next gen Wonka.

I went back and played Wonka after about 60 plays of TS4, and I still love it.

For me, TS4 isn’t as easy once you know the rules and have to make the hard shots (vs hitting the wide shots over and over). That scoop is a bitch to hit, so is the road trip lock (with flippers in factory position). And when you miss, that left outlane is hungry!

#4741 1 year ago
Quoted from coop:

I bet it was great. Unfortunately, on location after a lot of play, NO ONE was able to make the shot all night due to weak flippers. People said it was working earlier in the day but I didn't see a single person make it through the ring of lights—I took about a dozen shots and it just didn't have the gas to make it all the way. Soon, I just gave up and avoided the shot but that really cripples the enjoyment of the game—and your points I'm guessing.
Not that this is success metric for JJP but for tournaments it's probably to long playing. However, if early players have an advantage because they can make the ramp but players in later rounds can't that will definitely keep this from competition play altogether.
Toy Story has some things going for it but they may need to include flipper fans or redesign the flippers overall. I can see how this might not have come up in testing as you have to play it hard for a few hours first. They probably need to change their QA process as well so they can catch these issues before the product is released.

My flipper wasn’t gapped properly and binding (piston going into the sleeve at a slight angle). Which made the fade even worse.

#4776 1 year ago
Quoted from rotordave:This is why I dislike most modern games.
Look at the great 90s titles like Addams. There’s a lot of skill and work to get towards the big Multiball. MB is a reward , and you get a big fanfare for doing it.

and then it kicks your ass with no ballsave

#4777 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Besides having more mechanical features in Wonka and Dialed In both of those games also feature multiple magnets under the playfield in similar locations (mostly middle) that interact with the ball. In Toy Story 4 it's just empty space and a 10" screen instead of a larger mech all for more money.

After playing Wonka last night, I'm not sure I miss the magnets in the center playfield that just decide your ball is over!

Not sure that additional mech makes the game any better.

#4846 1 year ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Hmmm, “No additional mechs”, you seem easy to please….
Great, I’ll make a perceived decent easy playing game with 3 flippers, no mechs, a simple jump ramp, plain spinning wheel and make it colorful, with fireworks in the code. Charge you $15k…oh wait, JJP already beat me to it.
…awe shucks…lol.

I said/meant "that" specific mech (the magnets that give cheap drains for no reason) will not be missed.

It's so strange to me that people put the value of $20-100 (or $200 or $500) of cheap mechanical or plastic toys over the experience (fun, smiling, with friends or children), as if it's even close to comparable - the first time. Once it is every third post in the thread, if feels little pre-programmed, you shorting the stock or something?

#4848 1 year ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

My kids have requested The Mandalorian....thats one title that doesnt seem to retain value....not sure why?

I didn't think it was that much fun to play, sold my LE (even though it's a dream theme). In your face playfield, GOT style, any sort of fast flow for me usually ended up jammed back down the middle eventually. For me, it was a catch and shoot, which felt like work to progress. I didn't have a problem with the code, although heard it got better.

#4849 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I’m not cheerleading anybody today Tbird.
My GB pf was never replaced through GEX. It has some minor ghosting but I didn’t push it because it didn’t get worse. And it didn’t stop me from buying every future game I wanted.
The hypocrisy on “pricing” is hysterical though. It’s coming mostly from disappointed “flippers” I think
I don’t really care what happens to Toy Story pricing after the fact, although after seeing the positive reviews thus far maybe it holds value or drops a little bit

I don't think it will lose value unless the entire marketplace drops. This is not a shitty game (quite the contrary) and people stuck on the "lack of mechs" are going to be the minority as more people play it. It's a great pinball.

#4855 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:That’s the point I’ve been trying to make 100 different ways. They still don’t grasp it. The market is what it is right now, like it or not.
And I agree the pin looks really good. You have one right ?

Have had a CE ordered, but played one game on an LE the evening it was released (St. Louis distributor drove up to Chicago to get them the first day), and sort of had to have one, so went back and got one of the LE's in the box the next day, have about 120 games on it now (and just getting better as I've learned the rules). At this point, still doing a CE, and I don't think I'll lose anything on either transaction.

It's not as easy as I originally thought, seeing some Lawlor design normalcies coming through (like rockets coming out of the pops down the middle), and punishing slings if you miss a shot. That's about the only annoying thing about it are the slow slings that you just have to watch yourself about to be hosed by a sling to outlane, almost in slow motion compared to a Stern. When you have to make the hard shots as dictated by the rules to progress, that's when I started seeing some of the more challenging aspects of the game. The ramp shots are easy, but the scoop and roadtrip lock are tight.

#4913 1 year ago

Believe it or not Mr. (yes Mister) Potatohead made the cut, he’s a collectible character. And with Tim Allen as Buzz, we’re sort of safe from Woke.

#4916 1 year ago
Quoted from roffels:

Can anyone demonstrate to me that the skill shot is physically possible? I'm feeling like a big dumb dummy - the geometry to that saucer, even with a soft plunge, doesn't seem possible but maybe I lack the skill.

It’s tough. Out of 100 games I’ve maybe hit it 12 times. Doesn’t look like it should fall sideways, but somehow it does.

#5017 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballZach:

I just watched Toy Story 4 for the first time after getting the bad taste that was Toys Story 3 out of my mouth. No spoilers, It's better than 3 but not by much. Disney really destroyed what was probably one of their biggest properties. Which makes me wonder, why would JJP make a game out of one of the weaker movies, it makes zero since to me. I've been dreaming about a Toy Story pinball ever since these rumors started and JJP crushed them. I always wondered what a pinball company could do with Toy Story, oh the ideas! First the game should have been based on the first and second films and could have featured: The Claw Has Chosen" Multiball where you would lock the balls (green aliens) in Andy's toy chest (Aerosmith) and when multiball started the claw would take the locked balls out and drop them on the playfield one at a time. A Mr. Potato head bash toy (he's always exploding or falling apart) where his parts pop out momentarily when you hit him. R/C video mode, Help Rex and Buzz defeat Zurg, PIZZA PLANET, Toy Soldier's "No Soldier Left Behind", Al's Toy Barn, Woody's Round-Up Multiball, Buzz Lightyear Multiball. The ideas just keep popping up in my head. I'd count this one as a complete failure, the designers should be ashamed of themselves. Did they even watch the movies. Stern needs to make their own Toy Story and sell it for less than JJP's prices, they would kill it!

I think there is a pretty good chance that it was their only option (from Disney) on the TS license. Only because nobody would intentionally choose the 4th movie.

#5041 1 year ago
Quoted from clarkmu22:

I'm all for people voicing their opinions and sharing their thoughts. With that said, spending every single day bashing the game and JJP seems a bit overkill. To each his own, but I don't have enough time do spend half my day on Pinside spewing negativity. Point taken (and taken, and taken, and taken again).
I value everyone's opinion. You've done shared it.

This

#5084 1 year ago
Quoted from koji:

Doesn't seem like a fair comparison. I don't know what the breakdown is, but I'd imagine the development budget of TS4 would clearly require a lot more R&D effort, artist and licensing costs, as opposed to a remake (all be it, with quite a bit of added work, still nothing next to starting scratch.).

I don’t think CGC has any license fees. Re: TS4, paying Tim Allen for one, they can’t pay him enough for what he’s worth, so I think we’re lucky he’s in it at all. Who knows what Disney charges for the license, but I’ve heard Toy Story's one of the top 5 licenses out there (behind Star Wars, marvel, etc). I’m starting to think the people that are complaining about not having enough cheap plastic and metal toys are the same ones that spill their beer and tackle a child for a free tee-shirt at the hockey game. It’s sad watching people mad at an object. And as a buyer, I don’t like it because of a fomo investment, it’s a damn good game, and I’m excited to share my thoughts with other people that have played it! I’m a little mad at myself for continuing to look at this thread.

#5151 1 year ago

Which has more “value”? This seems like a good thread to ask that question

348880B5-89D6-4509-A46B-39F11FB16BA0 (resized).jpeg348880B5-89D6-4509-A46B-39F11FB16BA0 (resized).jpeg
#5157 1 year ago
Quoted from Wariodolby:

Is this picture altered?
We all know WOZ is a beast.
Toy story makes it look small.
Great picture btw.
Love seeing these by each other.
I have the Ruby red and can’t wait to put red CE toy story beside it.

Quoted from jamieflowers:

The bigger question is which one is more fun? WOZ did cost $6500 when it was new so it is likely a better value. Probably one of the most beautiful games out there, it did not stay in my lineup for more than a few years though.

Based on the origins of this thread, was just throwing some chum out there. I like and own both, these are the overflow from my game room where I've got a bunch of JJP's, Sterns, and B/W's. But huge contrast, perfect for the debate in this thread of some thinking TS4 is empty with no mechs, vs the original most crowded and mech filled machine out there! At my house (where I've got kids and have multiple pinball friends through in the last week), one gets played, the other looks really pretty.

I have a love/hate with WOZ, owned it for awhile, gave it to a friend because I just didn't like the way it shot, brought it home played only it for a few weeks, liked it, but then got Toy Story and have only turned on the power switch to WOZ while standing next to it playing 175 games of TS4 in the last week or so. It's not even a comparison in terms of experience, fun, good shots, flow, etc. But WOZ is beautiful, I like both!

#5158 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

My takeaway is you need a decent quality surge protector for those machines. That power strip is not up to the job.

Oh come on man, lol... But you're right.

#5165 1 year ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

I think JJP said the code was complete

there have been 2 updates since it was released a week ago, and one of them had a pretty big change (benson post mode).

#5185 1 year ago
Quoted from metallik:

Do the benson posts score, like the posts in Bally Rolling Stones, or are they just there to funnel the ramp shot?

There is a mode where they randomly pop up, having nothing to do with the ramp.

#5231 1 year ago
Quoted from JSC:

Potato head is in the game on the screen

So is Slinky Dog!

#5232 1 year ago

I think one more is coming soon, my Scorbit is wonky.

#5276 1 year ago
Quoted from MachineGunGuy:I find all the negativity here amusing. TS4 is a game, an expensive game, frankly out of the reach for many people to purchase. Those that can afford it will ultimately make the decision as to whether or not it's worth buying. I have not owned pins for that long, yet I now own 5 and waiting on 3, including Elvira, CCr and yes a Toy Store 4 CE. I buy them based on what looks fun to play and a theme I like. I bought the Munsters because I liked the theme, people panned it, yet the new code updates make it, in my opinion, almost an entirely different game than the one I bought. Its actually a favorite among my guests and casual players. Sometimes a Glitzy looking game or one with a great theme that isn't overly deep is actually a positive, especially for those who aren't that into pinball but just want to flip a few games and see what score they can get. My wife falls into that category. I've never owned a JJP Game before so I am curious how it compares to my Stern games. I will reserve judgement as to whether my purchase of TS4 is a mistake although if I based my decision on what I'm reading here its an epic disaster.

Yeah, I wouldn’t use this thread to judge. The same people that hated it before they played it, still hate it. I like it. It’s a fun game. I have a CE ordered, and after playing it on location, took home an LE (so I guess I have two). It’s easy to play and have fun (for all) but hard to master (for the normal people). lighting is awesome, music and call-outs are great (if you like the theme). And no I don’t work for JJP or have any horse in the race (i own more sterns than JJP).

#5277 1 year ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

The issue, for those of use that have owned pins and been in the hobby for a long time, is that we remember packed machines for under $5k with things that interacted with the ball in interesting ways.
The prices keep rising and what you physically get for your money keeps dropping.
That's why there is negativity

True and understandable, but I was just talking to my 13-year old son today about when a mid-eighties Porsche 930 turbo went zero to 60 in under 6 seconds and cost $50k, now a model 3 tesla (cheap one) does it in 2.5 seconds. That same model Porsche today does it in 2 seconds and costs $200k (with a 6-12 month wait!), and doesn’t even have the b/a fender flares! Not sure looking to the good ole’ days disqualifies a machine (or car) from being good or great. My humble opinion!

#5278 1 year ago
Quoted from yancy:

Interesting. Even if it fit perfectly, I can't imagine removing AND reinstalling eight bolts with a can opener. For the price they could include a socket wrench.

Throw that thing away!

#5279 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

WOZ was the first game I bought. Still sitting there. Had a lot of fun with it years ago. Don’t play it much anymore.
Play that Toy Story and see what you like best.
If you did get a WOZ find one with the Monkey mod and witch mod by Gouvia

I don’t play my WOZ either, but I can’t find that damn monkey mod for the life of me!

#5288 1 year ago
Quoted from bane:

Tesla still sucks. Prius sucks. All electric cars suck.
Long live the internal combustion engine and all of its sonic glory.
Death to electric cars!

I thought the same until I felt ludicrous mode! I go between a Model S and a TRX as a daily, so I’m living out there on either fringe. Lol

#5289 1 year ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

My BMW Z4 does 0-60 in 2.9 seconds and "only" cost me $70k (and the engine sounds amazing). It feels like a f**king rollercoaster taking off...
...and I've recently realized I can't really use that feature very often and/or legally, so who the f**k cares?
Teslas are dangerous because they kill blind people who can't hear them coming.
And now I'm off to think about what all of this has to do with TS4...I'm not really sure why all these threads wind up circling back to cars.

The relativity is because people don’t like TS4 because you used to be able to buy a more mech/toy heavy game for $5k. cars being a comparison that most people can appreciate, prices have inflated as much or more than pins.

#5370 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I unboxed a corporate owned Toy Story 4 for the company office Tuesday and this game is a hard fail from Jersey Jack completely separate from gameplay.
First of all, there is an inexcusable number of stuck balls on this game. I have confirmed with my phone as well as my dedicated inclinometer that the game is at a 6.5 degree slope and that it is perfectly level left to right. I have had to physically bend the ball return where the wires go underneath the “Ducky and Bunny” toys as the ball kept getting hung up there. I have had to adjust the return gate by where the prize wheel is. The third ball ALWAYS gets stuck there when releasing balls for multiball. I have had to “shake the crap” out of the machine multiple times to get the ball unstuck from behind the LCD gamepad multiple times.
As to other issues with this $12,000 machine. I have had the laser kickback work 1 time in actually returning the ball to the game. It has drained every single other time. This NIB machine has multiple loose switches in it. After less than 20 plays, every single flipper hit and nudge triggers the far right pop. The little pop ups next to the kaboom ramp are not flush, and effect the travel path of the ball. Same thing with the spinning wheel. The slings on this game are anemic.
As to gameplay and layout? I really don’t have that much to say as most games I play are incomplete due to the ball hangups, and most other folks don’t either as casuals are not removing the glass to fix stuck balls. I will say that the Duke Kaboom ramp is satisfying, and that Gabby Gabby is not very well integrated. The modes do not feel different from one another at all. My ST:TNG, LOTR, JP, and Deadpool Pro all have very different feeling and playing modes. These all felt the same.
As to the pros… the Duke Kaboom rampe is satisfying, the screen looks great, the game looks beautiful, and I really like the cake toppers. I feel like this game should be more approachable to noobs and casuals and the mini tablet does a good job of explaining what is going on, but they have all this fancy stuff in here and it is still not obvious what you are supposed to do in general. Addams family had a “shoot the ramps then shoot the scoop” to start the modes. This does not have something simple like that.
Maybe the game will be better once it is dialed in, but I am beyond disappointed with the build quality issues I’m having. There are so many freaking oversights on this with them trying to make this nice that it’s not funny. For example, the game came with a cheap wrench labled leg bolt wrench… the wrench doesn’t actually fit the bolts (it is barely too small). You have to remove a plate with a huge warning cover labeled “qualified service personnel” to even plug this in. This game looks like they were trying to make a game to appeal to the masses that was less complicated. I don’t think they satisfied anyone here. I would rather have any other JJP game than this based on gameplay. I am grateful the company put a machine in the office, but a Cyclone would have been infinitely more entertaining. I do think this will appeal to little kids that will want to shoot the Duke Kaboom ramp repeatedly though. It is an easy target that appeals to noobs and casuals like scoring goals in World Cup Soccer 94. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I’ve had a few issues to get it tuned in, but nothing like this.

Ball got stuck on the left outlane (making the turn in), both wireform return switches had issues (one fell off the other was stuck closed), and the plug in the back for the EOS switches had come loose. Once, the ball got stuck coming out of Road trip multiball.

I wouldn’t consider that cheap wrench that came with it a flaw, I wouldn’t touch a $12k game with that thing!

#5371 1 year ago
Quoted from snaroff:

There are infinite ways to reimagine the game. The only designer that could be motivated to re-theme DI is Pat, and he is apparently retired.

Make that SIM card shot less important (maybe extra ball or something). The “by chance” aspect of it being a key shot in the game stinks. That’s why I sold mine (but now I completely miss it and want it back!)

#5372 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Rick and Morty lost me as a Spooky customer. I won't say for life because, never say never, but they have a very steep hill to climb to get me back.
I hated the code (which shows you everything regardless of how well you play) and I hated the build which rattled like a 30 year old hatchback filled with woofers.
It was a dream theme too.

Same here on dream theme. I had one for 3 weeks and sold it back to the guy I bought it from. Couldn’t stand it. Love the modes but just too damn repetitive. Scary Terry was awesome though. Very clunky game. Brick and Morty

#5394 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Extremely repetitive. Also jank-ass flippers that would get knocked down from a hold (WTF?)
It lasted two weeks and 1000 plays for us. I was accused of buying it to flip which I most certainly did not.

Yeah the flipper knock down was bad too.

#5395 1 year ago
Quoted from brucipher:

I took my cliffy off the SIM card hole and can actually hit it from the upper flipper now. I will take my chances with some chipping around the hole in favor of a shot I can actually make. Oh, and for myself who is an average player, SIM card carryover is always on, lol.

I heard that the cliffy is the issue, it prior to it the hole would get eaten up. I’d take mine off if I get another one. Love the way it shoots!

1 week later
#5448 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

Nothing left to say. Game is way overpriced, choosing TS 4 was a huge disappointment and it literally has no mechanical toys but it did a great job spotlighting the shills in this hobby. Buy buy buy!
Or just wait and buy it for a big discount used bc it’s actually a fun game, just incredibly overpriced. CE sell off is going to be fun to watch when payment comes due.
I just hope JJP doesn’t Cromwell us again with their next title.
#nocornerscut
What a joke.

I’d say it’s more because most people are getting them and realizing all the hating in this thread is nonsense and that it’s a great game. Is it the all-ending greatest game ever designed/built like some of us were expecting (including me), maybe not, but it’s a really good fun shooter that may be too easy for pros but certainly not for most of us, and one that will stay in my collection.

The more people playing it the more irrelevant all these posts hating become. But it’s fun to see how charged up people get!

#5499 1 year ago
Quoted from Freakyguy666:

Wonka isn’t in the top 10 but many would prefer it to most games in the top 10 so take the rankings with several grains of salt…

Wonka is my top 1, with GZ a close 2nd. People on this thread affect the Pinside ratings which sort of tells you all you need to know about objectivity.

#5508 1 year ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

This is just really hard to wrap my head around.

Why? You can look at my collection (I’ve got plenty of good options) and it’s the one I spend the most time on. Can’t stop hitting the start button and one of the few pins I have that I’ve gotten nowhere near the end (but I have scored 33M which I think is pretty good!).

#5510 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

You have an excellent collection, everyone likes different pins, no one can predict what they will like best.

Agreed!

#5526 1 year ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Your collection is why. I would rate 90% of your other games as better than Wonka. The upper flipper shots are bad.(that weird little short side ramp shot?) The right ramp is way to wide(to accommodate poor shot design). Left outlane way to brutal (to accommodate otherwise too easy of a layout). Video assets don’t gel with game action. And of course horrible flipper system. But hey, different strokes, I suppose.

I'll have to agree to disagree with you here. The upper flipper shots work just fine, the spinner shot from the left upper flipper is one of my favorite shots in pinball. The short shot is only problematic for my kids, not tall enough. This is a game where you have to hit your shots and when you don't, it will drain (much like JP). You miss your shots in JP and it's the worst game ever, this is no different. That right front ramp is a dangerous shot, if you're not on it, it will drain (I've nearly broke the glass getting rejected to drain off those targets). The video assets don't bother me, usually too much action to look at them, so not a good judge there, but I think there is a lot of good IP. The flipper system seems fine to me, they get a little weak on multiball with the magnets, but seems they corrected that with recent code (I used to turn them up a little). To each their own!

#5527 1 year ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

I for the life of me can’t wrap my head around this.
I love that upper flipper should say upper flippers it’s like its own game in a game when I start nailing the spinner and camera ramp, on a bad shot to the spinner you may land in the saucer. That right ramp is also awesome when one wants to get a little chocolate going factory ramp to gobstopper ramp making sure the red light is off when the ball comes through. Light the gum targets and that left out lane is out off play 100%.
Ha ha ha not a better game where the videos line up. What video is the worst for you?
Are you new to pinball?
Maybe my line up sucks so I am forced to like my Willie.

your lineup looks great, I don't think that's the problem!

#5572 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I think the confusion is that the giant Ipad sits flat rather than vertical. It really should have been an Etcha Sketch.

While im ok with the screen, I agree they should have made it an etch a sketch. Maybe somebody can do a mod.

#5573 1 year ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

This brings another point… do we all think it took Pat L and team almost 4 years to develop this game?
I’m assuming folks were expecting TS for the past 4 years, but I want to think JJP did not take that long to produce this game.

I heard it’s been ready for several years (can’t validate the accuracy). Logic would dictate that it should have coincided with the release of TS4.

#5574 1 year ago

Edit - cut crap from another half post.

Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

After 2 weeks in the company office the game is still down more often than it is up due to stuck balls. There are some serious design flaws in this game, and I am bringing styrofoam with me next time I'm there to press into shape to keep the ball from getting stuck in certain spots. I'm still dialing in switches as well but this is a hard fail from JJP as far as I'm concerned.
As to the game itself, I still don't like it and would rather have most Stern Pros than this from a fun factor.
HOWEVER,
The reception among the "non-pinball" people on this machine at the company office has been overwhelmingly positive, and this is getting played more than Deadpool, Star Wars, or Led Zepplin was when they were here. Non-pinball people understand this game, and the Gabby Gabby, easy ramp, easy scoop, spin wheel, captive ball, and kaboom ramp all make easy targets. As a half decent player, I find it boring and too easy, but the crowd as a whole love it. One of the other guys in the company with a pin (a G&R) told me he preferred the Toy Story because it, "shot better".
As a pinball fan, I'm still lukewarm at best on this, but the masses at the company overwhelmingly improve.
JJP did not build this for pinside... they built it for the non pinball nerd... and its appeal is strong with that crowd.

In following your saga, you may have a lemon or damaged machine, I’ve got 300 plus on mine and while I did have a few things QC should/could have caught (that I fixed), I’ve never had a ball get stuck to the point of the machine being down. I think I’d get JJP’s help if it’s that bad, I’d be down on the game too.

By the way I’m a huge pinball nerd, and I enjoy the game. A little bit on the “casual” side (vs a Wonka or JP), but it’s earned a spot in my lineup and I play a lot and I’m not beating it every time, so can’t call it easy.

There is an owners forum where you’d probably have better luck getting help. This forum is only for sparring.

1 week later
#5865 1 year ago
Quoted from arcadenerd925:

...JJP sending out a customer survey is doubtful to be the sign of impending insolvency, lol. (I still gotta fill mine out)
Yes tiki party virtual pinball has a slight lag on the flippers, but it is a mode you play for 15 seconds. My 7 and 9 year old's are able to play it fine without issue (It's actually their favorite mode if they can beat it and get to tiki party multi ball, usually 50/50 for them).
Me personally, if they are going to allocate programming time, I'd rather it go to new features, mini games and modes. That being said, I am pretty happy with the game and code as-is.

I would agree, the tiki pinball is fine for what it is. I’d rather programming to towards new stuff overall as well. Not sure what but I’m open to it!

2 months later
#6033 1 year ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Wonder the same myself. I’m interested in both wonka and ts. How easy is wonka to understand for casual guests? Is one more fun than the other?

TS4 has some easy shots (left and right ramps) to start modes so easy to learn and have fun and progress a little. Key word is a little. Can’t progress too far on the wide shots. Wonka is a harder game to get into and have fun with. Ultimately, wonka is probably my favorite pin (along with GZ and JP), I like hard pins. TS4 is great and has something for everybody, but what makes it different is that it’s easy to get into and if you’re no psycho about pinball like most of us you can feel like you’re doing things. I haven’t played through it, been to the wizard mode probably 5 or 6 times in 300 plays (my best on GZ is just under 4b and on JP around 2b, getting to the visitors center regularly, so I’m not a pro but I don’t suck). All these haters posting about how easy it is since a pro walked through it in a video are absurd. From a difficulty standpoint it’s way harder than MM, AFM, TOM, MB, and all those B/W so anybody that doesn’t like this for being too easy isn’t allowed to like those games either!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
Contact
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 18.50
Playfield - Decals
Lermods
Decals
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Olive Township, NJ
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 299.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Eville Pinball
Armor and blades
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Interactive
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
$ 11,500.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place
Pinball Machine
$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robbyirl5.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-toy-story?tu=robbyirl5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.