(Topic ID: 290919)

JJP Toy Story (any rumor confirmations?)

By Trojanlaw

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,049 posts
  • 661 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by Chris25810
  • Topic is favorited by 93 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

49E1AA8F-FA29-4F4D-B1BC-1F5A44288A70.jpeg
9A992D2B-FA2B-40FC-AC43-58772CB9538B (resized).jpeg
AC614DA1-F00B-4054-9170-C4D1150B344E (resized).jpeg
IMG_2068 (resized).JPG
IMG_2067 (resized).JPG
72EC51DA-CB1D-4978-8995-03B6B558B128.gif
IMG_3625 (resized).jpeg
224F7BE6-01B8-447C-A998-C3554FBB37C8 (resized).jpeg
GabbyFacemask.jpg
ken_doll_meet_bensons_dummies_by_noureldeinm2003_df7k99y-350t (resized).jpg
86234446-23FA-456B-AC4A-4CF71F767F09 (resized).jpeg
090C9D93-1C0E-4270-A892-121040E8D562 (resized).jpeg
435E7D06-9C0D-4553-AEA9-BE1CE86855F7 (resized).jpeg
6B64B962-6BD0-422D-9BE2-249F80844320 (resized).jpeg
7CBACD5F-A487-4F5E-A9F2-593649FDCD98 (resized).jpeg
AB374773-1B6A-44D9-9D32-700496F69930 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinball-wiz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2393 1 year ago

I might get flamed for saying this, but it seems like Pinball manufacturers are going backwards with utilizing technology and creativity and just phoning designs in and utilizing old designs and mechs. Jump ramp and pop-up bash toy? YAWN. Been there, done that... 20-30 years ago. I'm more excited about the bridges on GZ Prem- and while it's simple, it's cool and fun. So Nothing really has to be crazy when making a new game like this... a little effort for something different goes a long way IMO. I was thinking maybe there was some surprises that we're not seeing... until I saw the features list. Nope.

Now I'm all up for a classic style game like this, but given the absurd amount of time it took to get this launched and the fact they've been seemingly working on this one game for almost 2 years.. I was expecting so much more.

When I look at this, I think my 10 year old niece would love it. Not quit sure if this hits a large group for appeal, at least initial appeal. When I was thinking Toy Story theme, I had all the classic movies in mind like most here. The 4th movie is just that like most series... it will never compare to the first 2.

I don't know why, but the last time I was at Hollywood Studios in Orlando I was thinking a Slinky Dog ramp would have been awesome... just like the roller coaster.

Can't wait for someone else to buy this so I can play it.

#3157 1 year ago

I've never been so bored watching a pinball release video. I hate saying that. But 20+ minutes and all I can think is JJP needs new blood, someone like Elwin! Not convinced Ritchie is going to save them. Hope I'm wrong.

#3173 1 year ago
Quoted from badgerx23:

Not much to cut out of the machine to make a SE

My thoughts exactly. Anything removed and then you have a Stern Homepin (almost).

Watching more of the gameplay, it doesn't excite me. The loop shot to the third flipper is just uninsipring and boring. I guess how GZ did the third flipper shot, while simple, is just fun and new. Sure it will be fun because it's pinball. But I expected a mind-blowing, look what it took 2 years to design machine.

The design team just seems out of touch in the video about what's going to be exciting and what really is exciting to me.

#3680 1 year ago

Let's face it, with JJP we were promised a world of loaded out games and toys.. things that were missing in Stern pins. That was the premise of JJP. And you paid a premium for it. Now they are just trying to make more profit, like stern. Kind of like saying you're starting a premium car company to offer a premium car (let's say Ferrari), and now you're trying to be more profitable so your cars are now built like high end Fords. Nothing wrong with the high end Ford... unless you wanted a Ferrari. LOL.

Now you are getting a dressed up game without the toys and things that were the basis of buying a JJP. The flash is still there. And the price point is still high. Where's the rest?

First, you have to accept the theme- If this is a star wars pin, this is the equivalent to Episode 1. Then there's the higher price point. Then the fact that toys and mechs are just not there like we expect from JJP games.

Look at the stand-up targets for forky- One thing I LOVE about the hobbit is the mechanical stand-up targets that cycle and make you hit a specific target... just so damn cool!! Then the shot that takes you to a subway behind the stand-up target. It's things like this that make a game stand out and you KNOW it's a premium unique game.. even if the theme is off, it has a mega cool factor that no other game has.

The choice to throw in cheap, fixed stand up targets just goes to show they didn't care about making it special mech wise... for starters, of course.

I priced one out- $12,000, plus tax, plus shipping, is more like $13,000. Everyone is different money wise... but you can get some of the best of the best pinballs in existence for that price point... vs. something that's just new and different.... but not mind blowing or even a theme I want.

On a final point, this just seems like a game geared towards appealing to children. Toy Story is/was a children based theme with massive appeal to adults, yet they have peeled most of that away for some odd reason. There's just too many head-scratchers for me on this one.

Sure it's new pinball, sure I want one because IT IS NEW and FUN and I WANT TO BE THE COOL GUY on the block with the newest JJP machine... owning it would be a "F/U I got money to burn and I'm a cool cat in this hobby" kind of move, don't ya think? I can be the guy that people are saying, "man, Pinball-wiz has one and he doesn't care". You know this machine has wallet-flex written all over it because of all the factors (you're paying top dollar and don't care its TS4 and all the other crap).

#3800 1 year ago

I don't know what to think of Pinside. I see people now criticizing those that haven't played it, like.. "how dare you until you flip it!!". Like we don't know pinball!

Under normal circumstances, I'd agree.... flip it first. But I'd define normal circumstances in pinball as the following:

1. Not a machine that is $3K more than the competition and $3K more than their last release with LESS toys.
2. A title we can relate too that makes sense (IE, Toy Story 4 vs Mandalorian). Imagine if the Mandalorian came out and was then based on a movie no one knew of that happened to feature Mando, for example. Toy Story 4 MAKES NO SENSE.
3. Artwork that matches a good, neutral representation of the title. Here we have a very strong 10 year-old ish girl feel to the machine and art. Not Slinky Dog, Mr. Potato, Army men, etc. A carnival with a girls head (
gabby gabby?") WTF.
4. A machine that took 2 years to make. TWO YEARS. This machine should be absolutely ground breaking and blow our minds. NOPE.

Also, while I was able to forgive the problems with the GNR playfields because I loved the game... now imagine taking a risk on this one, paying $3K over, and again being told to pound sand if you had a legit problem.

ZaphX, I appreciate your enthusiasm and absolute willingness to be optimistic about this one, but there's more here than just... it's a good flipping game. It has to be a good flipping game for price, with a good theme, and should all around feel good. BTW, you're youtube videos on GNR is one of the reasons I bought one. But I feel the price on that one was more acceptable, loved the theme, and the pin made sense.

#3888 1 year ago

Looks like Jack took too many naps back in his office...

#4462 1 year ago

The SDTM video review just seemed fake and forced.

I like their reviews, but come on guys.

Either way it won't change how I feel about the game. Going to play it on location and doubt I'll ever buy it.

#4465 1 year ago
Quoted from blacklightprod:

This post right here SUMS UP ALL THE NEGATIVITY! But First Delt is a totally Kaneda Shill so if he hates the game Delt hates the game. Delt is just a loudmouth who likes to pretend he’s something special. I’ll never forgot his one chance for fame to go head to head with Zach and he sounded like a goof. I can’t take anything he says serious.
Anyway back to my original comment. This guy here ‘Pinball Wiz’ summed it up best. He’s bashing on Zach’s review of the game while at the same time he says it won’t change how he feels about the game, but admits he has NOT NOT NOT played it yet because he says he’s going to play it this weekend.
Yo WIZ… before you’re almost positive you won’t buy the game PLAY THE GAME first. Don’t you test drive a car before you buy it? Why wouldn’t you test drive a pinball before you buy it??? The game is amazing, you can take it to the bank.
The game is just pure magic and you will discover that once you played it.
To all the negative people, just go play it give the game a chance to win you over, I’m betting you’ll have a change of heart. Personally I liked Zach and Gregs review and found it to be dead on the money. I’m not sure I’ve ever agreed with Zach before so this might be a first. I thought he was totally honest, despite trying to sell you a game at the end. But honestly that is his business, you know that going in so it is what it is. But the review was very accurate after you’ve played the game.

I'm sorry, but having an opinion, either negative or positive, is OK. This is the internet and we're here to discuss Pinball. Besides, it shouldn't matter how I feel about the game. Make your own decision but leave mine alone? Get over yourself and your righteous attitude! WOW. It's OK to disagree with someone w/o attacking. Seriously.

There's just so much to unpack here and I wish I did have a positive outlook! I really wanted to love this game! But let's start with the unpopular Toy Story 4 theme and work from there ($12K price tag, lack of real toys in the game, nothing really exciting to look forward to besides it just being new). On top of that, even the side target bank is plain stand-ups and not drop targets.. something a JJP game should have to bring that "premium JJP feel".

What's worse than me, (an experienced pinball owner and player) bashing a pinball game "I haven't played" is YOU bashing me without knowing me. See how that works?

#4524 1 year ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5: So now we have a bunch of grown adult males (I’m assuming) arguing over a game because of “toys”, I’d say that the majority the people doing the hating have either not played it (because it plays amazing and if you’re into pinball to play and not stare at it, I think it would be hard to argue this), or have some pre-existing reason to hate it. It’s part 4, initially this bugged me too (pre-school theme), but then guess what, Toy Story 1-3 are kids movies too (neither of which had been part of my life since my kids watched them 10 years ago!). Tim Allen’s significant involvement (after he got booted from the new “woke” Lightyear) is enough for me, and he’s the main voice of the game.
The iPad doesn’t get in the way, it covers the top of a busy U-Turn ramp (unlike the static Grogu on Mando), and the Tiki game/multiball is a great mode. The code in this game is the gem, and the Lawlor layout is, a Lawlor layout. Even the little flipper (which in my opinion sucks on TAF, IM, and anywhere else they exist) is actually a good/easy shot (with the layout).
eneration of the hobby so it doesn’t die with the boomers!
My humble opinion

Let's be honest here, it's not the "lack of toys" on this one, it's the Lack of toys FOR THE PRICE" and "Lack of toys FOR A JJP PIN".

#4564 1 year ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Your argument is bizarre. How can you compare a random FS ad on Pinside, eBay, etc. for "game <whatever>" with the cost from a brand new machine MSRP?
JJP LE roughly maps into Sterns Premium and JJP CE maps into Sterns LE...the MSRP difference between Stern and JJP is ~3k. That's the only real apples-to-apples comparison for machines currently in production. Sure, flippers have been gobbling up Stern LE's and flipping them for 15k+, however it's wildly dependent on the license/game. The Elwin designed games typically commanding the highest premium for recently produced games.

Spot on.

#4602 1 year ago

So in GNR, you have 2 guitar necks, drum sticks, cymbols on the pops, etc.... on a toy story game, you have... no toys.

Yes, beating the dead horse LOL

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 299.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Eville Pinball

$ 11,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

10,099 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Royersford, PA
13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Kennebunkport, ME
$ 35.00
Machine - For Sale
Bryn Athyn, PA
$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 16.95
$ 11,500.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinball-wiz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-toy-story?tu=pinball-wiz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.