(Topic ID: 290919)

JJP Toy Story (any rumor confirmations?)

By Trojanlaw

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,049 posts
  • 661 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by Chris25810
  • Topic is favorited by 93 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

49E1AA8F-FA29-4F4D-B1BC-1F5A44288A70.jpeg
9A992D2B-FA2B-40FC-AC43-58772CB9538B (resized).jpeg
AC614DA1-F00B-4054-9170-C4D1150B344E (resized).jpeg
IMG_2068 (resized).JPG
IMG_2067 (resized).JPG
72EC51DA-CB1D-4978-8995-03B6B558B128.gif
IMG_3625 (resized).jpeg
224F7BE6-01B8-447C-A998-C3554FBB37C8 (resized).jpeg
GabbyFacemask.jpg
ken_doll_meet_bensons_dummies_by_noureldeinm2003_df7k99y-350t (resized).jpg
86234446-23FA-456B-AC4A-4CF71F767F09 (resized).jpeg
090C9D93-1C0E-4270-A892-121040E8D562 (resized).jpeg
435E7D06-9C0D-4553-AEA9-BE1CE86855F7 (resized).jpeg
6B64B962-6BD0-422D-9BE2-249F80844320 (resized).jpeg
7CBACD5F-A487-4F5E-A9F2-593649FDCD98 (resized).jpeg
AB374773-1B6A-44D9-9D32-700496F69930 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider noma2017.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#98 2 years ago
Quoted from blacklightprod:

Toy Story is obviously next and its going to be HUGE! It might be their biggest seller ever. I’m predicting 1000 CE this time around with a price of about $13,500.00 That will be my guess. I think Matrix will be after Toy Story… JJP will be on fire in 2022.

I would be an immediate buy for both of those titles.

1 week later
#119 2 years ago
Quoted from DruTheFu:

GnR has been out for a minute now. And no Toy Story/Matrix/Avatar in site. Welp, deposit down on TBL.
I wonder if JJP will make me second guess this.

TBL is great and is about a year wait. One of my favorite pins. If JJP game comes out soon, couldn’t you always find someone to take your spot on the TbL list?

2 weeks later
#132 2 years ago

Can’t wait for Toy Story if that is the next pin. Going between Wonka and The Big Lebowski in my collection!

#160 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Both my GNR and Wonka CEs are fantastic and the PFs are perfect.
Bring on Toy Story.
Sorry Jimmy. Lol

I’ve owned them all. Wonka CE had some pooling and I was able to iron out with yellowbird’s method. Love Wonka and it’s a keeper.

Dialed In shot probably the best of all the titles but the family couldn’t get into the theme. No playfield issues.

Woz YBR was beautiful but hard. No playfield issues

GNR LE had no playfield issues

Bought Pirates LE second hand and it had a small chip on the left post.

Finally just got Hobbit and the family loves it. I know it is a polarizing title. No playfield issues.

We would be an immediate buy for Toy Story so bring it on!!!!

#179 2 years ago

And just like that he’s gone.

3 months later
#229 2 years ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

I assume so. Same company in high point NC.

I can’t wait. That GNR promo video was great!

#231 2 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

That was hands down the best pinball promo ever.And then Zach followed that up with the greatest first look video!

Same woman playing Toy Story?

#304 2 years ago

Wouldn’t it be fun to just talk about Toy Story rumors in this thread?

#348 1 year ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

The new playfields are pristine, my born on date is Jan 22'

Again, how about all the playfield comments good and bad go to a separate forum? This forum should be about Toy Story rumors.

#379 1 year ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Not really. It was, all things considered, a pretty boring panel.

Said JJP 7 definitely out by July and August with hope of JJP 8 before end of year

2 weeks later
#453 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Whatever the new JJP game is I won’t be buying for at least 6 months due to JJP’s history with just about every title having early build playfield issues. Wasn’t worth the risk to buy early IMO at $7k and most definitely not at $11k+ lol.

I have purchased NiB Wonka, Dialed In and Wizard of Oz. No regrets and ready for Toy Story!

#475 1 year ago
Quoted from mtp78:

Talked to my Dist. He is saying reveal in June , Lookng forward to this title.

And the new movie “Lighyear” drops June 17th

#487 1 year ago
Quoted from Vitty:

The lightyear movie trailer actually looks pretty good

I agree but no way this is a “Lightyear” pin.

1 week later
#526 1 year ago

I think even a $15k 500 run CE sells out immediately. Don’t want that price to be the case but no way that there are any machines available after shortly after announcement

#530 1 year ago
Quoted from gorditas:

First I've heard of that one. It would be fitting for the current state of things: profiteering flippers could brag about getting both a Buzz and a Woody.

Gotta go Woody

1 week later
#560 1 year ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I see 2 different faces hiding back in there.

Could be Jessie too. When does Spring officially end?

#564 1 year ago

By the way, the new Lightyear movie has the slogan “Every hero has a beginning”

I still don’t think this will be a Lightyear pin but I bet it gets released around the time of the movie. We’ll know soon!

#627 1 year ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Late May release rumor

That means we are only a couple of weeks away. Can’t wait. In the past, when do they release the teaser videos? On a Monday?

#630 1 year ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

That is good to hear... If TS is released as JJP next game this will be my first purchase from them. So, hope your experience would be similar as some little things like yours are manageable.

I have owned all six JJP. Wonka CE had some pooling and I was able to iron it down and apply washers. Dialed In and Hobbit had no issues. Pirates, I bought used and it came with a chip on one of the posts but no other issues. Then I bought WOZ YBR NIB and it had no issues. Finally, got GNR and no issues. I also own Lebowski and Godzilla. Those don’t have any issues so far.

#633 1 year ago
Quoted from kapaun:

I can see demand being pretty significant for this from non pinhead, well off Disneyphiles. This should be primed to get quite a bit of media/social media attention outside the pinball community as well.

That’s my guess as well but we will know soon which is cool

#683 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

I've been contemplating if and when the next jjp is announced. Which of my jjp pins I can do some trading with to get the next one ?
Maybe Pirates ?
LTG : )

I said goodbye to Pirates because the kids didn’t play it enough and I needed room for Toy Story. I also got Godzilla LE at the same time and we all love it. So we can be patient for Toy Story!

#700 1 year ago
Quoted from romulusx:

In all honesty Dialed In blew me away when I first played it at LAX so I brought an LE!But Wonka is truly a unique game with some great moments.I hope Toy Story can be DI with great toys and obviously a great theme

I totally agree. Dialed In shoots incredibly and if Toy Story could shoot like Dialed In with an amazing theme, I would be very happy.

#722 1 year ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I predict the following:
1. CE differentiates itself with a major mech (like GNR LE to CE), but in a much bigger way. JJP's goal is to drive CE sales
2. JJP will increase CE's to 1250+ units.
3. Prices will increase to $12K+ for the LE and $15K+ for the CE
4. It will shoot great, and have the typical JJP great theme integration, graphics, software, etc...
5. The CE will have a very cool topper, and the LE topper will be crap
6. JJP will stay silent on play fields, and the warranty (or lack there of) will not change
7. CE's will sell out sight unseen

I think the boldest prediction is the CE number of units. I could see it though.

#751 1 year ago

I would argue that the majority of CE buyers are GenX (born 1965-1980) but it would be interesting to see the breakdown.

As a Gen X CE hopeful buyer, I agree. I also think this particular title will bring new buyers to the hobby and the average age of CE buyers may skew younger as the license may attract parents with younger kids.

#752 1 year ago

I meant to say that I think this title will skew younger with CE buyers

#761 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

From everything I've read, which is just speculation like most things with the economy, if there's a recession it will be mild and nothing like what we saw in 08 - 09. Job numbers are still up, and unemployment is low. The sky isn't falling, no point in jumping to conclusions yet. After 10+ years of growth a mild recession may even be seen as normal.
[quoted image]

Office Space would be a fantastic theme!

#779 1 year ago
Quoted from explosiveegg:

I agree.
The game is bound to cost more.
The cost of lumber, labor, shipping, computer components, and other parts has all gone up by a significant margin. Plus, there main competitor raised their prices by a significant margin.
Not only that, but I don't think it's wild to say that the CE will jump by an even larger margin after JJP saw the half assed EHoH 40th edition sell out in minutes at $25k.
It annoys me that people are jumping into a speculation thread and complaining about people speculating on the price. It's all in good fun. If they don't find it amusing to speculate, they don't have to. They need to leave the people who find it fun peace.

I agree and to assume that JJP is reading these threads and making business decisions based upon what people speculate is ridiculous.

#808 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Well, a forky is a no-brainer. Maybe commenting on gameplay like Smaug?
Possibly a ferris wheel ball transport like cyclone/raza? (I hope not, I hate these)
They could have scaled down discarded items from the antique store, including the talking dummy which would be a callback to Lawlor's Funhouse:
A duke kaboom jump ramp that comes out you can use to jump the playfield with a pinball bonus if you stick the landing:
It would be hilarious if JJP had some spot LED lighting and some specific weird figures from the cabinet party in the pinball machine cabinet.
Software-wise, maybe a perk system like Star Wars where what character you choose affects gameplay?

Those are some great ideas.

#819 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Toy Story 4 beat you by a few years. And...those ones walked and talked.

I would guess it will be more original Toy Story and less Toy Story 4

#859 1 year ago

Too bad this thread can’t just be rumors of the release of a new pin.

#861 1 year ago

I don’t mind both sides when they are In the correct thread. Just seems like they jump over to threads where we are just tracking details of a release.

#887 1 year ago

Could today be the day? Do they always announce on a Monday?

#890 1 year ago
Quoted from goofy1994:

In theaters June 17

That's why my guess for the release of the pin is that week. Piggyback on the hype of the movie.

#909 1 year ago
Quoted from Sunsfan23:

Over under 14 days from today to announcement

Teaser or full announcement?

#912 1 year ago
Quoted from Sunsfan23:

When we see the game

My guess is we see the game on Monday June 13th. Just a hunch.

#929 1 year ago
Quoted from greeneye:

I have set up 2 Hobbits by myself. I wouldn’t recommend it. Pretty brutal

I had a Hobbit and Pirates moved same day in my house and the movers gave the slight nod to Hobbit.

#963 1 year ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

You got the list perfectly in reverse.

I think my list is exactly that. TS 1, TS 3, TS 4, TS2. I could potentially swap last two though.

#976 1 year ago
Quoted from Colehvac1:

But it will still involve Mirco, so when you buy whatever it is you can assume you’re getting screwed

Can’t help it!

#980 1 year ago
Quoted from Colehvac1:

Hopefully when you buy yours you have the same great experience you’ve always had!

I do hope so but one never knows. In the meantime just eager for more Toy Story news.

1 week later
#1141 1 year ago

Very excited! I’m in!

#1163 1 year ago

Shouldn’t we give credit to JJP for taking steps to ensure everyone is aware of how to order CEs? They listened to the issues with GNR orders and have tried to address it.

#1314 1 year ago

I don’t believe him either. Nope!

#1400 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

For anyone who listened to Kaneda's show today, please do not hit me up to buy my CE slot!
- Yes, I hate the Toy Story theme.
- That doesn't mean I'm not buying it because I am.
- It's not for sale until I've played through it, because all pins can be fun despite the theme. I can look past it to the gameplay.
- "Played through it" means months (or years) and thousands of plays.

And “enjoyed it” means 10,000 plus plays like your Wonka!!!

#1447 1 year ago
Quoted from gorditas:

No, just guys like those below who don't think we understood the 87 previous times where they shared their disdain for JJP, Mirco, Toy Story, animation, and Tom Hanks' brother. It is almost like they are unaware that there are plenty of threads where they might provide constructive information about things they actually DO like.
[quoted image]

We should be sympathetic here. There is a grown man in this forum who has been waiting 4 years for the Toy Story release and if the voiceover work isn’t done by Tom Hanks and Tim Allen (preferably 10-12 hours worth each) he’s going to lose his mind and hate the machine.

#1476 1 year ago
Quoted from NOrbit:

GNR Oct 5, 2020
WW Apr 15, 2019
Did not check anything else.
Couldn't tell you about JJP other social media announcements.

Now that’s some good research. I could see teaser coming on Monday. Same week as Lightyear release in theaters. Piggyback off the movie publicity.

#1489 1 year ago
Quoted from screaminr:

To me , it sounded like Zach was hinting that SDTM
would be filming their promo video this weekend .

That’s great. Where did you see this?

#1493 1 year ago
Quoted from insight75:

I just received a response from a distributor that they have 1 more CE available. Only $24,999. lol

Nice. I like how many people complained about JJP selling GNR CE direct from its website, leaving many distros in the cold. This is much better…

#1501 1 year ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Pretty sure it was the last pinball show podcast .
https://www.podbean.com/ea/pb-cbw3g-124499c
Also on YouTube

Listened quickly but didn’t hear that hint.

#1519 1 year ago
Quoted from screaminr:What's the coil count

I was going to say. Someone please dissect this for me

#1792 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Kaneda's already posted his guess for the next JJP.
I hope they can keep a lid on things going forward, personally. Surprises are fun.

What was his guess?

#1794 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

He has a podcast you can sign up for Patreon.

I would like to know his guess for free!

#1799 1 year ago

I guess he predicted Godfather. That could be great!

#2251 1 year ago
Quoted from romulusx:

If it’s TS 4 with characters from previous Toy Stories with plenty of animations and sound I’m good with it!I think it will shoot great and Pretty sure they’ll have Tim Allen and Tom Hanks brother for pinball shout outs and exclusive dialogue

Toy story 4 would be fantastic even if the movie is not the best of the franchise. All the original characters with Duke Kaboom, the creepy dolls from the toy store and Forky. You would get more characters.

#3875 1 year ago
Quoted from Munsters:

I have an Godzilla le, but im much more excited for Toy story!

Same but I am glad I will have both! Godzilla is an incredible game.

#3927 1 year ago
Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

The only comparison that really matters is which companies games have mirco playfields and which ones dont...

I have a Big Lebowski. Mirco and bulletproof after 500 plays.

#3957 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Assuming the sale is legit then after Ebay fee's, fee's from having to claim income on profits (Ebay's now sends a tax form), and having to give JJP a $1,000 transfer fee's the seller may have broke even.

I think that would be a couple grand profit.

#4004 1 year ago
Quoted from ltd73:Spent 3 hours playing it at Great American Pinball tonight. It's a blast, I came in with negative vibes about it and that went away after the first plunge. This game has great shots, the music and lights are engaging and pull you in and the call outs are Woody and Buzz. For a game that just came out the code is already solid, this isn't a "drop the game and let them update the code" situation, we had a blast and I wish I didn't have to work tomorrow or I'd still be playing it. Bravo to JJP and Pat, this game is a great time

What a novel idea. Play the game before judging it! Watched the Deadflip video. Looks like a blast.

#4013 1 year ago
Quoted from Cobray:

Looked kind of boring to me. Run of the mill fan layout, repetitious 3rd flipper shot, etc. I kept thinking that I'll like playing it in small bursts on location, but absolutely not for a $12K (plus tax and shipping) home machine. At $9K, I would at least think it's in a livable value range, but not at $12K

Different strokes I guess. I see this as Dialed In with a better theme. I totally understand the price argument. I see you own Hobbit. That’s a great game IMHO. Doesn’t get enough credit, incredible assets but gets trashed for being too open and floaty.

#4211 1 year ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:Play this game before you come to your conclusion. It comes together so well between the music, the use of voices which make you forget Forky is even in the game (buzz and woody), the buttery flowing Lawlor shots, the really kick-ass jump shot, the GnR-like light snow, and just the overall fun.
If there is an issue, maybe it’s too easy (a few wide shots)?
I was ready to cancel my order (thought we had a pre-school theme empty playfield game), but after playing it, did the exact opposite and bought an LE while I have a CE still coming (had extra comfort due to the thriving stock market
My 2 cents on the topic that people seem to be getting bent about!

That’s good to hear. Anytime you have recommend a game to me, it’s a hit for my family. Never hesitated from my CE but it’s nice to see people like you enjoy the game.

#4532 1 year ago
Quoted from blacklightprod:Yes I think everyone wish it was Toy Story 1-3. I think people wished for Johnie Depp face in Pirates. Let me go one further… how about Deadpool game gets made based on the popularity of the movie, as does Avengers and Jurassic Park and NONE of those games have a SINGLE asset. True or False?
Toy Story pinball game IS TOY STORY because it has Tim Allen voicing the entire game. The game features you got a friend in me, plus tons of clips from the movie including Buzz and Woody.
Price doesn’t seem high for you get… 1 you’re paying for the Toy Story license lets start there. You’re paying for Tim Allen to voice the call outs. You’re paying for an overall better machine than the other companies, and lastly if you don’t go play it you’re not understanding everything in the game. Just play it.
Again as for price explain how Jurassic Park is worth 20k on this site when it doesn’t have a SINGLE asset nothing. Basically even the most hated Stern games like Munsters is selling for 18k but Toy Story isn’t worth 12? You lost me there.
You want to know about features… ball ramp feature - big screen plays mini games - pop up doll target - 3rd flipper - 4 pops - drop target ball lock - light bar led strip on both sides of the game - magnetic aprons to eliminate ugly cards - Bigger monitor than ANY other manufacturer - exterior cabinet headphone jack - camera that puts you into the game and takes your picture (no other pinball company features these) - captive ball - kickback - prize wheel spinner mech - oh and lets not forget JJP has the best back end matrix system. Oh and MORE LEDS than ANY other pinball ever created other than Guns N Roses.
As for the IPAD it plays mini games clearly they want you to be able to see it. Again this is a different approach to pinball go PLAY IT you’ll love it.

It’s so true. I just recently got Deadpool and Godzilla LE and I paid Toy Story CE plus prices. I love them both but I could certainly whine about a bunch of stuff. Why couldn’t they get the Deadpool movie??? Why no Ryan Reynolds voice over? Those are cheap figurines.

Why is the Godzilla toy green??? Not of the time period at all. Why did they choose those movies? Wish they had went with other movies. Why aren’t there any lengthy movie cut scenes? The Kaiju/power up/ally sign looks so cheap. Thank goodness there is a neon mod for that.

I actually love both games but the point is it’s so easy to whine about a game before playing. I also want to try Jurassic Park because of the good reviews and word of mouth. But does it have the original cast? Did they get Jeff Goldblum for original callouts??? Oh they didn’t? Why not? Why no movie scenes from the original? Why did Stern cheap out? Could they not afford it????

Is it possible that the 12 carnival games on the playfield screen are actually fun and add to the carnival theme?

I’m also a Toy Story fan and Toy Story 4 is 4th place as a movie for sure but it’s still Toy Story and appears to have incredible film assets. Also, animation has improved considerably since the original so isn’t is a positive to have those beautiful cut scenes even if they include characters from the new movie?

#4574 1 year ago
Quoted from wesman:

I'm in the minority of loving JP due to it's lack of assets. They made it their own game. Reminds me more of some fun, packed BW era unlicensed games. And I never get tired of hearing an overpaid celeb, or not liking a sound alike.
POTC was a fantastic balance for me. Just enough movie influence, tasteful clips that are atmospheric more than obnoxious, overpaid actors, and Kevin McNally as Gibbs has such perfect line delivery, and is just a nice nod to the series. Magnificent balance!
And didn't Deadpool have the incomparable Nolan North? Dude is a powerhouse in the gaming voice over arena. Fits that theme perfectly! F' pricey stars!

I completely agree on all of this but I actually didn’t care for Pirates at all. I really wanted to like it.

Also, I am dying to try Jurassic Park as many people with whom I usually agree love that game. I don’t care if it doesn’t have assets from film. Problem is, I am probably a 6/10 in terms of skill and I have heard it’s really a hard one.

#4977 1 year ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Sounds like its a great game to drop a couple bucks into on location and thats about it

Have owned the other 6 JJPs and not one qualified as a “drop a couple bucks into” for me. Sounds like maybe the settings should be set harder so I don’t get to wizard mode easily, but can’t imagine I will be bored of this one quickly.

#4991 1 year ago
Quoted from AJC3030:

Basically from what I gather, if you hated it from the release video , or loved it , it's all reflected in your " review".
If you were mad when it dropped you were never going to give it a fair review. Just the same as if you were " all in" on the release , you are gonna be heavily biased.
Buy it or don't, but play it for yourself and decide.

Unfortunately it’s true. Two echo chambers really. So far, a few people with whom I share favorite pins (Godzilla, Wonka, etc.) love it so I like my odds…

#5004 1 year ago
Quoted from McDoom:

TS4 is better than Wonka!?
[quoted image]

That’s my hope. I would prefer to keep one of the two.

#5162 1 year ago

WOZ was just brutal with that “no place like home” outlane. Beautiful machine and I do miss it since selling it. If Toy Story shoots as smoothly as Dialed In, I think it will be my favorite JJP.

#5163 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Anyone buying this game with the hope “the code will mature” is going to be extremely disappointed IMO. This thing is fully baked. WYSISWYG.

Based on what info? Wonka and GNR have had code updates.

#5210 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

I recommend listening to the latest eclectic gamers podcast for another really fair view on TS4. If you’re interested in hearing what non shills sound like, it’s these guys. No network needed of course. Dennis and Tony have a great show - I’ve been listening for a few months now.
https://eclecticgamerspodcast.wordpress.com/
Also - an interesting point brought up by those willing to just accept the ridiculous pricing…..they will just get that back when they sell - so who cares how much it is upfront right?
yeah right - good luck with that. The LE’s will drop like a brick and will be readily available at 10k or less in a year. CE market with 1k out there is already soft and will continue to weaken as folks try to flip but can’t. Jaws, BTTF, He-man - they’re all coming.
If you’re buying in now, just be prepared. No doubt, it’s a fine (simple, non complex mech) game if you can get over the fact it’s TS4, just not priced properly at all. Enjoy the podcast!

Disagree. I would recommend playing the game, watching gameplay video or trying to sift through a review of someone who actually played the game. Neither one of the hosts of this podcast had played the game. One host had only seen Toy Story 1 and the other said he was a fan of 1-3 and saw parts of 4. He also said that Toy Story 4 was the worst reviewed and performing by far of all the movies. Just check rotten tomatoes and box office to fact check that one (4 in last place review but not by much). Also, lots of complaining about the tablet which could be justified if they had played the game and determined that it doesn't add value to the experience. They basically just summarized the common gripes on pinside (whether valid or not). I would prefer to watch a potential shill review along with gameplay videos but to each his own...

#5216 1 year ago
Quoted from Palmer:

Pretty sure Delt played the game and left a rather lengthy review.

He did, but the podcast he recommended was rather uninformative. Or at least it was nothing we haven’t seen/read here.

#5243 1 year ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

Looks like those flipper margins are getting pretty thin[quoted image]

Which means potentially wise financial move for JJP. They have effectively taken the flipper profits on the high end machines. Maybe there will be fewer flippers on the collector machines and they will actually go to collectors.

#5254 1 year ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

$2,500.. yes, he is losing $1,500 on his deposit.

I would be shocked if he is losing on that deal. I'll bet he is asking for $1,000 on top of what he is in for.

Quoted from PtownPin:

Yes and no....now that theres way too much risk to the flippers my guess is JJP CE's will normalize like prior to GNR.....prior to GNR JJP never sold out CE's and they sat on the market for years.

Agreed. Flippers suck anyway.

#5313 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

I did play the game - check out my feedback/impressions here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-toy-story/page/100#post-6991119
Best part about this game is it spotlights the real shills in this hobby. Good place to reference back if you want to see who’s telling you the truth and who just wants to sell you a game or justify why they spent way too much on a pinball they know isn’t worth 12-15k. I love Todd but even he’s going over board in some of the recent videos about this. I can tell distributors are starting to sweat what is essentially a cash grab by JJP. It’s all too bad b/c if it was priced right, it would be much more respected b/c it’s def far from being a bad game.

I knew you played the game. The podcasters on the link you posted hadn’t.

Just saying that really the only way to tell if you like a game is to play it. I was surprised that I enjoyed flipping Elvira but never connected with JJP Pirates. I would have assumed the opposite based on reviews and theme for me…

#5377 1 year ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Same here on dream theme. I had one for 3 weeks and sold it back to the guy I bought it from. Couldn’t stand it. Love the modes but just too damn repetitive. Scary Terry was awesome though. Very clunky game. Brick and Morty

I played one on location and it initially felt quite barren, but I enjoyed flipping it. It was super difficult which I liked. Seems like I should play it a lot more before considering buying.

#5417 1 year ago
Quoted from snaroff:

No doubt. Still surprised at how many arcades/barcades/etc. seem to be buying it (based on many posts that are coming across my FB).

Why because there are a bunch of pinsiders who rail on the machine? Pixar has a cult following. While it is entirely valid that SOME may dislike the 4th movie, the data doesn't seem to prove it. Just look at the Rotten Tomatoes and other review scores. It's unlikely that real Pixar and Toy Story fans will be so disappointed in a Toy Story 4 pin (involving the main characters with custom callouts from a big star like Tim Allen) that they will not give this machine a chance. Also, I think the jury is still out on whether potential buyers/players will punish this game because of the implementation of a tablet in the upper left of the playfield. It all depends on the type of gamer. Someone new to the hobby probably won't even notice it, fans of Pixar and Toy Story MAY forgive it and it MAY prove to be a fun/useful tool in the game. Finally, the price issue will just play itself out and NO ONE knows how that will ultimately be received in the next year. Godzilla LE is now $16k if you are lucky. Same with Deadpool, Stranger Things, etc.

#5429 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The 'new to the hobby' crowd has been pushing prices up since 2011. "new to the hobby" pretty much is synonymous with 'price blind'

Fair point for someone who has probably been in the hobby for many years and I wish I had found this hobby sooner.

I entered during the pandemic. In those days Wonkas were $9,500 and $12,500 for LE and CE. Had those prices shocked me, I wouldn’t have entered the hobby to buy a pin with a theme my family liked. I made the choice to spend that money on this form of entertainment and I am really happy to now be a part of the community. That game spurred a passion/unhealthy obsession for pinball for me. I assume if I had entered the hobby when $6,500 got me a WOZ, these prices would all look insane. No one can tell which way TS4 will go but it’s possible that it could open up a whole new pool of buyers. It doesn’t have to be a large pool at all. Just a pool of families who enjoy Pixar, Toy Story 1-4 and who think $12-$15k is ok for a fun, approachable game that looks and sounds beautiful. That’s not to say the dumpster fire ending that some predict isn’t possible as well. It will be interesting to watch it unfold.

#5520 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

Oh the shills on this game crack me up. Their latest defense is that JJP did a good job squeezing out the flippers on this title by raising the price.
Wrong again.
What JJP showed us was what they could squeeze out from the sucker market - those that will buy anything regardless of what's actually in the game. Once those people were taken, the vast majority who aren't drinking the BUY BUY BUY kool aid said HELL no. Sorry but sold to distributors doesn't mean to customers and they can enjoy sitting on that stock.
Truth is - if this game was what the people wanted - meaning it was TS 1, 2 and/or 3 and actually packed with mechs ala old school JJP, the price would EASILY rise beyond 15k for CE. Don't believe me? Look at Godzilla LE. Selling at 16k and will likely continue to go up b/c it's awesome.
Market has spoken JJP. We won't let you cromwell us. I'm in on Godfather CE bc I LOVE that theme but if it comes out like this, I'm out again.
#nocornerscut.

I really respect your opinion on many games and even this game. I also think your arguments lose a bit of strength if you call a game a flop 20 something days after release and make statements like "the vast majority...said HELL no". We should all just calm down and see how this plays out because it will most likely take several months to play out. JJP took a swing here no question. If they equal sales to GNR, it's a massive hit. If they hit 75% of GNR, it's probably also a massive hit because GNR has sold well. Why waste our breath on something where the dust won't be settled for awhile??

#5649 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

They really thought going into TS4 that it was going to outsell the biggest seller to date in GNR, according to insider. I don’t think so either but you never know.
And pissed off a few real big distributors in the process. The ones where pin sales are minuscule to their overall sales.
Maybe they felt location guys would eat it up as a big earning “mule”?

GNR has sold around 4,000 units. 500 CE at $12,500 each, about 200 SE at $7k? Leaving 3,300 LE at avg of $10,500 (since there was a price increase)? That’s about $42M.
On day one of TS4, they sold $30M between CE and LE. I wouldn’t be surprised if they could sell another $12M worth or 1,000 more LE machines.

#5662 1 year ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

These are definitely not real numbers. Prove they sold and even made 4k GNRs. Impossible with a 40 per week output rate, admitted by JJP. GNR sales were around 2k tops with the time they had to make them, plus parts shortages, labor challenges during that time, etc. GNR was way oversold at that rate and is the reason for slumping HUO prices. JJP does not publish any sales figures ever, so you’re up in the night if you think they sold double the amount that they could actually produce. Do the math, it doesn’t add up any further than around 2k, give or take.

Listen to This Week in pinball podcast this week. Jack explains a lot about TS4 and the hosts actually brought up the GNR sales figures and he confirmed it

#5663 1 year ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

These are definitely not real numbers. Prove they sold and even made 4k GNRs. Impossible with a 40 per week output rate, admitted by JJP. GNR sales were around 2k tops with the time they had to make them, plus parts shortages, labor challenges during that time, etc. GNR was way oversold at that rate and is the reason for slumping HUO prices. JJP does not publish any sales figures ever, so you’re up in the night if you think they sold double the amount that they could actually produce. Do the math, it doesn’t add up any further than around 2k, give or take.

Also, let’s take your 2k figure. Now you just admitted TS4 is a HUGE success for JJP far outpacing GNR!

#5667 1 year ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Right, but Jack is hardly an unbiased source of information.

Totally fine. I accept that you think he inflates those sales figures. Now TS4 is a smashing sales success, right? Eclipsing GNR in one day!

#5668 1 year ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Thanks, but Jack is a typical salesman. Need to see a real ledger sheet/receipts to confirm, which no pinball company has ever offered. Sure hope for all the GNR owners they didn’t make more than 2K, otherwise kiss your ROI goodbye, unless you plan to keep it.

No real proof has ever been offered. Jack in an interview is all hype, which he does a lot of. Yes, we might know POTC, because of the mess it became. They stopped production because no one wanted it, until collectors figured out there was not going to be anymore.

You should actually listen to the podcast. He explains how they arrived at TS4. A lot of info I haven’t seen here

#5673 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Summarize for people with a very low tolerance for podcasts.
Please.

I don’t even know who the hosts are but one of them seemed to be expert level and he gave a quick 2 minute review of TS4. He seemed to like it and I think he played with a few other pros in Illinois.

Then Interview with Jack

Quick summary
Originally had TS 1-3 in 2014. Wonka license had a short time period and there was a lot of competition for it so it had to go first. Wonka was not a reskin of Toy Story.

While they were planning TS, TS4 movie came out earlier than expected. Turnover of Disney license people and they pushed TS4. He says Pixar is really happy with the machine.

Mentioned that JJP has over 10 licenses in the queue. Said maybe JJP 8 in 9 months.

Sorry there is a lot more but I can say it was pretty interesting to hear some of the backstory.

Oh, also he hinted he originally had Jaws and there were no assets. He said he couldn’t do a machine with only a “movie poster”. I took that as just throwing shade at competition. If Elwin does that machine, it could still be legendary even if what he said is true.

#5675 1 year ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Interesting. Good ol Jack has the gift of the “blarney” doesn’t he?

Sure take it all with grain of salt but it was interesting.

#5693 1 year ago

https://superawesomepinballshow.libsyn.com/the-super-awesome-pinball-show-ep-34-jersey-jack

Sorry it was this show. Hadn’t listened to it in the past

2 months later
#6015 1 year ago

I am very happy with the game. For me it shoots slightly better than Wonka and equal to Dialed in and TS4 is more fun to play than those two. My son is a good player and can put up a B on Godzilla. He prefers our TS4 to Godzilla, Wonka, Deadpool, Big Lebowski and Rick and Morty.

#6016 1 year ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

I´ve never said it was empty, there is just nothing new and exciting in it.
Most people was probably hoping for toys in a toy story pin.

I don't need new with a particular pin. I need fun. I need theme integration. I need smooth shots. Oh and I need fun. This pin started out slow for me and then opened up around play 30-40. I am now over 150 games and it gets the most play in the house. Supremely underrated for me as I prefer it to Wonka and Dialed In.

#6018 1 year ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Good to hear you are enjoying it.
That's the most important thing.
I was hoping for something really amazing, esp considering where the price ends up here in europe.

I hear you. I am not disputing that the price is maybe high for a new machine. On any given game, I expect to lose 10-15%. Have been pleasantly surprised recently, but this one may lose some value.

I really enjoy TS4, have had a chance to own all the other JJPs. My order is 1.) Wonka 2.) Hobbit 3.) WOZ 4.) Dialed In 5.) GNR 6.) POTC
Still in honeymoon with TS4, but it's definitely better than Dialed In, GNR and POTC for me. I like it equal to Wonka right now.

#6029 1 year ago
Quoted from Freakyguy666:

The main complaint is not that this isn’t “fun” or “attractive” to kids….it is that people are getting thru to the main Wizard mode far too quickly and there is virtually no difference between completing the game with Buzz or Woody…so not much incentive to keep playing in the long run…

That’s an overblown statement IMHO. We are a household of above average players and we haven’t reached the wizard in 200 plays. I am not an advanced player but I have reached Pure Imagination on Wonka, scored 3B on Godzilla, 104M on GNR and 90M on RIck and Morty. Then again, reaching a wizard mode doesn’t ruin a fun game for me.

#6034 1 year ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

To each to their own. Glad many are playing TS4 and enjoying the game. It’s a fun pin and if I had ample room I would have kept my order.
The main objective is that the machine gets played. I’ll be going back to a location that has TS4.
For those who had played enough TS4 and Wonka, how similar are the shots to one another?

Own them both. TS4 shoots smoother than Wonka for me and we also slightly prefer the TS4 theme. TS4 for me shoots similar to how Dialed In shot. Also, strangely, I didn’t connect with TS4 until about 30 games in.

Now that you mention it, there are a few similar TS4 and Wonka shots. Upper flipper shot to Wonkavator and Baby flipper to Bo Peep resemble one another. Also kid multiball and Road-trip lock feel similar. Captive ball shot in similar place. Scoop in similar place to Gobstopper. Gabby Gabby and Duke unique. I also find the left outlane more punishing on TS4 than Wonka but perhaps that could be just how my machine came. Finally, the whole family enjoys the carnival games despite “$30 IPad instead of incredible mech” gate. Tiki party is a favorite. It’s easy to get multiball but it’s fun to play.

Anyway, just pleasantly surprised given what I read on Pinside. I am happy to sit this one next to Godzilla and Rick and Morty. I am conflicted with reading Pinside for reviews without playing. For Godzilla, it thankfully alerted me to a GOAT machine. For Deadpool, I just don’t connect with it and wish I played before buying. For Rick and Morty, I find it to be a top machine if properly dialed in. Finally, with TS4, I am super pleased despite the reviews/comments.

#6038 1 year ago
Quoted from dts:

Finally played the game at a local arcade with a buddy in Eugene, and it seems pretty easy. I had to let the first ball drain at 10M, because a private party arrived and they had to kick us out. So I still haven't played a full game!

Sounds like you are an expert or had a very lucky game. Line up 100 people and maybe one does what you did. Congrats though!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 649.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Interactive
$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 11,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
$ 18.50
Playfield - Decals
Lermods
Decals
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Olive Township, NJ
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 299.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Eville Pinball
Armor and blades
14,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Petersburg, FL
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
Machine - Pre-order Spot
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 11,500.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place
Pinball Machine
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider noma2017.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-toy-story?tu=noma2017 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.