(Topic ID: 290919)

JJP Toy Story (any rumor confirmations?)

By Trojanlaw

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,049 posts
  • 661 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by Chris25810
  • Topic is favorited by 93 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

49E1AA8F-FA29-4F4D-B1BC-1F5A44288A70.jpeg
9A992D2B-FA2B-40FC-AC43-58772CB9538B (resized).jpeg
AC614DA1-F00B-4054-9170-C4D1150B344E (resized).jpeg
IMG_2068 (resized).JPG
IMG_2067 (resized).JPG
72EC51DA-CB1D-4978-8995-03B6B558B128.gif
IMG_3625 (resized).jpeg
224F7BE6-01B8-447C-A998-C3554FBB37C8 (resized).jpeg
GabbyFacemask.jpg
ken_doll_meet_bensons_dummies_by_noureldeinm2003_df7k99y-350t (resized).jpg
86234446-23FA-456B-AC4A-4CF71F767F09 (resized).jpeg
090C9D93-1C0E-4270-A892-121040E8D562 (resized).jpeg
435E7D06-9C0D-4553-AEA9-BE1CE86855F7 (resized).jpeg
6B64B962-6BD0-422D-9BE2-249F80844320 (resized).jpeg
7CBACD5F-A487-4F5E-A9F2-593649FDCD98 (resized).jpeg
AB374773-1B6A-44D9-9D32-700496F69930 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kool1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2461 1 year ago
Quoted from cybevenom:

Toy story 4 CE gameplay.
Enjoy.

Looks amazing

#2522 1 year ago

Boy oh boy, I can't remember this much negativity on a new pin in a while.

I'm going to wait and see before making final judgement. I see the disappointment for sure, expectations were so high on this.

#2540 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Can you buy the CE online? Will they ship it outside the US if purchased directly? Thanks for the help!

Can always ship to Shippsy and they will bring to Mississauga.

#2580 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

In a nutshell:
CE is the Woody edition and it is red, has a mirrored back glass and a custom integrated topper.
LE is Buzz edition and it is blue, has a translite and no topper.

Lack of an SE is a big mistake IMO - Arcades are going to pass on this also

#2599 1 year ago
Quoted from EagleEd7:

Of all the toy story movies, 4 was my least favorite!

Same - I thought they would do original Toy Story actually

#3093 1 year ago
Quoted from Apollo18:

So Toy Story looking like this …
Seems to have a jump shot jackpot [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

This is a very cool shot!

#3175 1 year ago
Quoted from Three60in:

I actually think it looks fun. Like a solid product. My issue is 12k? Ouch. As an opp. your talking $2 per game. Im going to pass for now. Hope to pick one up used.

This is 100% the reason I won't buy and why it probably won't sell that well.

$12,000 is not a reasonable entry point for a machine.

#3184 1 year ago
Quoted from onemilemore:

Game looks to be a fun shooter, but at this point I am kinda wondering who it is for.
Pinball folks, I suspect, are gonna be hard-pressed to go in on it at a $12K starting price, other than the hardcore collectors. I'm a home-use guy and this is just way too much for me when I could get 2 Stern Pros at the same price, more or less.
And are the deep-pocketed Disney heads really gonna be into the Toy Story 4 theming? Toy Story across the board would've been a slam dunk, but I don't think this one hits the right buttons. Plus, so many of the beloved characters just don't even seem to be well-represented, and the iPad doesn't exactly scream Toy Story.
Maybe I will be wrong, but it feels like they missed the sweet spot here. The price point is high because of the license, but it's not the exact license that demands that price point. Will be curious how sales progress.

This>>> They have priced themselves out of the market.

Operators will never make any money on a $12000 machine. Too expensive for me (Stern Premiums are already pushing it). Families with kids - forget it.

I want JJ to do well but the business case for this machine is totally flawed. They will never sell 5000 LEs.

#3192 1 year ago
Quoted from dnaman:

In Canadian and Australian currency, these are through the roof as well. Quite simply put, besides maybe a POTC LE (which I already have) and maybe a Big Bang Bar, you can likely get just about any pin that you could ever want. If your wish list includes lesser desirable titles then you might be able to get two or more for similar coin.

With tax this will be over $17,000 CAD.

They will sell very few in Canada. It's a shame - I love the theme but it's not affordable at all.

#3197 1 year ago
Quoted from Palmer:

The Pro doesn't. Star Wars is a pretty sweet game though and it's pretty bare. But in all fairness, if Stern released that Pro today it would be 7K, not 12K.

"Bare" doesn't mean it's a bad game at all but $12,000 is crazy no matter what it is.

#3208 1 year ago
Quoted from dnaman:

I would buy a TBL at similar coin long before this and I haven't bought Lebowski because of the crazy cost.

Would love a Lebowski but it's not happening either and that's ok.

Honestly I'm thrilled to own just Stern Pros. Hobby doesn't need to be crazy $$ to have fun.

#3232 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Operators make money by recurring coin drop exceeding (depreciation costs+operating costs) - not by breaking even on the sale price of a game.
Buying a $12k piece of equipment and selling it for $8k two years later only costs them $4k - not $12k.

Yes but the upfront cost is almost 2 Stern Pros. There is a reason most operators don't buy premium/LEs.

Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Eh... mostly.
Here is an example.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive/135292
This is the G&R SE that was on location at Ocelot. It got 3500 plays and the operator sold it for about what he paid for it after a year and a half. In that time it got about 3500 plays, so maybe $3000 in revenue if you count the free games.
But how many people drove to the building and bought beer just to play it? How many people came to league night and bough beer because of it? How many people stayed longer and bought beer because this was there?
I am under the impression coin drop on games doesn't really make much if any money. What it does do is bring people into the building who spend money on more expensive things.

Exactly. And I'm sure a Godzilla Pro would draw more people for almost 1/2 the cost.

#3261 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Godzilla Pro would absolutely bring more people in to buy Beer. However, Toy Story would bring more people in to buy pizza and attract more Birthday parties. One group has and spends alot more money though... and has transportation of their own.

Would it? Little kids don't generally play pinball.

I think the self driving beer drinker is a safer bet.

#3348 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

If a game costs 2x more, and doesn't create any draw or additional revenue.. then that's a problem. The point of this entire discussion is initial investment is not the deciding factor - it's what the game makes vs what it costs to own.

Kind of my point - even the same coins going into a $6900 Godzilla Pro. Much better return.

I don't think TS4 will draw in more money. I would argue less.

#3461 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

If your point was TS isn't going to earn - that's your opinion and speculation you are free to.
But your post was that the game cost was the issue itself - and that alone isn't what moves the needle. COIN DROP drives behavior - not equipment up-front costs. Something hobbyists struggle to grasp.
Initial Costs are largely offset by residual value. A category that JJP games in particular have done very well in.
Know what kills a game more than initial costs? Parts and downtime - because THEY LIMIT COIN DROP and drive up costs that will never be recovered in resale.

All I'm saying is 2 equally attractive games will pull in similar money but if you can say buy 2 Godzillas for 1 Toy Story your return on investment could be double.

It's about effective use of capital and I would argue that $12000 pins aren't the most effective use of capital unless they are getting played substantially more.

Down time I totally get!!

#3525 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

There are other effects besides the game’s individual earning too. If you run a pinball spot and are the only one to have the game in your area… it is a location draw. It will bring players to your spot just looking for that game because they want to experience it.
So it will boost other games… a halo game. Obviously this effect is not something you do on every game - but highlights reasoning beyond simple ‘it can get a Godzilla for 1/3 less’ or whatever.
Kind of why we have a big lebowski on route even though it costs 2x what another game costs.
Obviously all this logic relies on the game being a draw to players.
We will be putting a toy story on location

I would definitely travel to play a TS4 so I catch your drift.

Sadly not many "pinball" places around me so most local pins are just part of an arcade or in a movie theater.

#3721 1 year ago
Quoted from Enron64:

I was impressed with what I saw. The more I watched the videos and the gameplay the more impressed I became. It looks like it’s should be a good shooter like wonka. I love how my Wonka shoots and the rules. If toy story shoots well has good code and is fun like wonka then I am in. LE only for me as price is bananas in Canada haha.

The game play has definitely sold me - this game looks really fun. I love the ramp. Price unfortunately will keep me away, too much $.

Quoted from iceman44:

At some point, maybe in the coming recession, it’s going to hit a wall.

Recession could quash pin prices hard if it lingers for a long time. I would definitely be careful spending big dollars overpaying for pins right now.

#3728 1 year ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Overpaying on anything right now is a bad idea. Wait until people that just bought a house see the value next year.

Yep - Cheap money is drying up fast, expect a big Fed hike today and another next month.

Anyone who bought a house in the first half of the year will feel the pain for sure.

#3776 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

We should have our game on route this week for those who want to actually play sone pinball

I wish I was closer

Quoted from Vino:

[quoted image]

Don't worry - lots of those CEs will be up for resale quickly!

#3785 1 year ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

I just want to touch on the lack of SE thing a bit, since it seems like everyone else is doing a good job of handling the other points. I see a few people bemoaning the fact there is no SE. Besides the points that others have made, its been known for a while now JJP was going to stop making SE's. It was dumb for them to be making SE's as long as they did. SE's are always the lowest selling model for JJP. It was smart of them to take that out of the lineup. I know a few people would buy SE's but really, why? They aren't much cheaper than the LE and its just a lot more hassle for the manufacturing side.

Wasn't the GNR SE $8000?

$12,000 + shipping price of admission is a lot of money - too much for the majority of people.

#3788 1 year ago
Quoted from galore2112:

I don’t understand why you think that, given that every NIB pinball machine that isn’t from Spooky sells like toilet paper circa 2020.
This is such a small niche market and it’s apparently easy finding a couple thousand customers in a world of billions of people who have no problem blowing $15k, $20k etc. on a pinball machine.

I didn't say they wouldn't sell. I just mean a lot of people are complaining because they have been shut out price wise from Toy Story because of the high entry level price point.

I know 2 people personally that were very excited and wanted to buy for their kids but can't swallow $12K+.

#3876 1 year ago

Dang.. Already out in the real word. Well done JJ!

Screenshot_20220615-163509_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220615-163509_Facebook (resized).jpg
#3879 1 year ago
Quoted from badgerx23:

It still looks so empty.

You don't need a cluttered playfield to have a good time IMO.

#3896 1 year ago

Why it's cool to live in Chicago
https://fb.watch/dG53UaiAmg/

Screenshot_20220615-181659_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220615-181659_Facebook (resized).jpg
#3969 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I would agree with that. There is a lag in the unemployment numbers. Service sector jobs are up, summer reopening travel stuff, high paying tech jobs are getting hit especially for those with no profits.
The labor market is tight because the participation rate has dropped and people need to come back to ease wage pressures.
The Fed can’t say the quiet part out loud but they will drive a recession to get inflation under control. Watch Powell today.
A “recession” is not the boogeyman and defined as 2 straight quarters of declining GDP growth.
The 2020 Covid recession lasted for 2 months
There could be some black swan events to F it all up. Energy and food crisis gets real. War escalates etc
Hard to have a recession though with tight labor market and the Fed is gonna break that.
Soft or hard landing? That’s the question of the day

Soft landing seems unlikely.

Inflation issues are global and European rates are still zero, higher rates won't change supply chain issues or create more oil supplies . Fed is going to have to pound the economy and create unemployment to slow it down. They are miles behind the curve.

#4039 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I’m afraid that’s right.
Fed can’t affect:
1) the supply side
2) commodity prices
3) war in Ukraine
I’d rather go ahead and rip the band aid off. Get the S&P to 3,000 pre Covid and reset the disaster of spending that lit this fire.
Value over Growth, Dividends, Fortress balance sheets, free cash flow machines, pricing power. Commodities.
Is the market down 23% ytd? Not energy. It’s up over 40%, cheap valuations and big dividends. Best performer in 2021 as well
It’s a global market of supply and demand of which the world has cut off excellent energy sources in favor of “green energy”.
Now they realize the sovereign threat of that mistake.
We will be in a decade long commodity bull market because of the structural worldwide issues with supply and demand.
While Energy now makes up 5% of the S&P 500 market cap, up from 2-3%, it represents 9% of the earnings of the S&P
I do think much of this bad news is already priced in. When the ultimate fear and panic hits again, gotta buy
What does all this mean for pinball? $9 trillion in wealth has already been wiped out this year in the markets. Some here will be happy about that.
Maybe pins are the only business in the world immune to such issues?
F it. Who cares. It fun!

We don't know if pins are immune yet. Seems unlikely now but if things got really bad, resale market prices could come down. New sales could definitely drop off if people decide to wait on new pin purchases.

#4096 1 year ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Alright you can go do something else now!Damn man get a life already.I didn’t get this worked up when Stern fucked up my favorite band pin so badly!Led Zeppelin

Love my LZ. Of course it could have been better but it's still a really fun game.

Quoted from Tranquilize:

I don't get all the hate on Pat. The game looks to shoot butter smooth. For fun and approachable games, he's the best in the world. The real issue is Katz and other people helping with rules. I can't think of a single jjp machine with great rules. DI could have been good had they addressed the terrible flaws...
That said, the Mirco dice role vs price is crazy. And the slot machine sounds are brutal as always. They hired a sound company instead of the slot guy, yet the slot sounds remain.... Weird. Maybe they actually desire such off-putting audio. The mismatch with gnr is far worse, but still...
Looks like most jjp machines: a fun shooter with crap rules and crap sound and potential pf issues. Zzzzzzz

That's Pinside.

Game is fine, Pat did a decent job. People need to dump on something so it's TS4 this week.

Quoted from ZoraShinoda:

I was surprised to see Jack Danger post a video of his game play on youtube. Awesome that he did that, many companies would frown upon an employee posting video/content related to a competitor.

He has stated that Stern employment does not effect his streaming of whatever he wants in any way.

#4149 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

Sounds like GnR!

Yup.

As long as TS4 isn't multi-ball madness, I'm sure it's decent (but not $12,000 decent).

#4702 1 year ago
Quoted from seenev:

Whenever they trot out Pat Lawlor in interviews, I cringe. The guy is a legend but he's so past his prime that you wonder if he can even play pinball anymore. He talks slowly and certainly doesn't seem like he'd have the reflexes to play a fast shooting game, but we're supposed to think that this guy who crawls through every sentence on camera is innovating pinball? Does anyone think he even saw Toy Story 4 before being assigned this project?

I really think this is a terrible and disrespectful comment. If you don't like the game, move on.

#4714 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

I got four games on a toy story today. I enjoyed it. Shoots pretty smoothly which is probably my #1 thing in a pin. If you have one on order congrats and enjoy. The only thing stopping me from picking one up is the price and the screen.

I think the biggest issues with this game are price and price.

#5028 1 year ago
Quoted from AJC3030:

Hopefully it's better than zeppelin, black knight , star wars ....

I would take any one those games over TS4, especially for the $

Quoted from PinballZach:

I just watched Toy Story 4 for the first time after getting the bad taste that was Toys Story 3 out of my mouth. No spoilers, It's better than 3 but not by much. Disney really destroyed what was probably one of their biggest properties. Which makes me wonder, why would JJP make a game out of one of the weaker movies, it makes zero since to me. I've been dreaming about a Toy Story pinball ever since these rumors started and JJP crushed them. I always wondered what a pinball company could do with Toy Story, oh the ideas! First the game should have been based on the first and second films and could have featured: The Claw Has Chosen" Multiball where you would lock the balls (green aliens) in Andy's toy chest (Aerosmith) and when multiball started the claw would take the locked balls out and drop them on the playfield one at a time. A Mr. Potato head bash toy (he's always exploding or falling apart) where his parts pop out momentarily when you hit him. R/C video mode, Help Rex and Buzz defeat Zurg, PIZZA PLANET, Toy Soldier's "No Soldier Left Behind", Al's Toy Barn, Woody's Round-Up Multiball, Buzz Lightyear Multiball. The ideas just keep popping up in my head. I'd count this one as a complete failure, the designers should be ashamed of themselves. Did they even watch the movies. Stern needs to make their own Toy Story and sell it for less than JJP's prices, they would kill it!

I just watched for the first time on the weekend also - Probably a good reason I didn't go see in the theater. It's not horrible but the original is so much better. Wonder if we will ever get an explanation for the choice of "4"?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.95
$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 11,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

14,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Petersburg, FL
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 35.00
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Wanted
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 11,500.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 299.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Eville Pinball

$ 18.50
Playfield - Decals
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kool1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-toy-story?tu=kool1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.