(Topic ID: 290919)

JJP Toy Story (any rumor confirmations?)

By Trojanlaw

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,049 posts
  • 661 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by Chris25810
  • Topic is favorited by 93 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

49E1AA8F-FA29-4F4D-B1BC-1F5A44288A70.jpeg
9A992D2B-FA2B-40FC-AC43-58772CB9538B (resized).jpeg
AC614DA1-F00B-4054-9170-C4D1150B344E (resized).jpeg
IMG_2068 (resized).JPG
IMG_2067 (resized).JPG
72EC51DA-CB1D-4978-8995-03B6B558B128.gif
IMG_3625 (resized).jpeg
224F7BE6-01B8-447C-A998-C3554FBB37C8 (resized).jpeg
GabbyFacemask.jpg
ken_doll_meet_bensons_dummies_by_noureldeinm2003_df7k99y-350t (resized).jpg
86234446-23FA-456B-AC4A-4CF71F767F09 (resized).jpeg
090C9D93-1C0E-4270-A892-121040E8D562 (resized).jpeg
435E7D06-9C0D-4553-AEA9-BE1CE86855F7 (resized).jpeg
6B64B962-6BD0-422D-9BE2-249F80844320 (resized).jpeg
7CBACD5F-A487-4F5E-A9F2-593649FDCD98 (resized).jpeg
AB374773-1B6A-44D9-9D32-700496F69930 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider iamabearsfan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#284 2 years ago

I have washers in my new GnR and I am fine with it. I think we need to move on from playfield gate....especially for new machines. It may not be optimal, but it is a work around that seems to be holding up. I haven't seen any pix of this still being an issue with new playfields. It stinks for the people that got em early though and I get that.

I think this title could be a lot of fun.

#312 2 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Because the issue eventually migrates outside the diameter of the washers.
Your vehicle and appliance analogy doesn't work. Washers there serve a mechanical purpose. On a pinball machine in this fashion, they serve no other purpose than to hide a larger problem. And as I stated above, it doesn't hide it permanently.
Also, there are thousands of pinball machines in the world that don't have them, and they don't have playfields cracking apart.
This is a defect.

Can you point to pictures of this? Just curious how you know this is the case. In my mind the jury is still out on this. I was at the factory and had an extensive conversation about this. Personally I am happy with how they have addressed the situation. I know it isn't ideal, but I really think that the latest builds have not had the same issue. Again, need examples to be swayed.

#354 2 years ago

I currently own a WoZ that is in pristine condition and am thinking about selling it for a TS. I get that it won't be an even trade, but I could see the TS theme being a lot of fun. For me those movies were at a perfect time when my kids were growing up. Very funny and well written. Hopefully translates into a pin well. In the back of my head, I am still hoping that JJP can get the HP title.....and I know, unlikely, but I still can hope right?

1 month later
#745 1 year ago

With all of these predictions, there is some significant headwind......the looming recession. This will change people's pocketbooks. The vast majority of CE buyers are boomers. They are all licking their wounds from a beat up 401K. One would want to hope that the worst of the correction is behind us. I for one don't think the blood bath is over. China's lockdown and the war in Ukraine look like they will both go on for some time. This is going to take its toll on the global supply chain. Gas will continue to be high and inflation will follow suit.

Now think about plopping down 15K/12K for a pinball in the middle of this. If I was Jack I would announce this sooner than later. Just my humble opinion though

3 weeks later
#1099 1 year ago

If anyone knows a distributor that has any TS CE's, please PM me. Would really like one for TS. Wife is very much a TS lover, simple as that. Or any other way to get it. I guess I can try to get online direct, but I never seem to have luck with that method for anything I try to get. Usually get some spinning icon and the website never comes back (whatever it is).

Dave

#1103 1 year ago
Quoted from APfan1:

At this point it's who you know. If you're towards the top of a distributor's list, you are good to go. Personally, if I were a distributor and I was selling a CE to a customer, I would make a stipulation that I would be emailing them monthly to make sure they still have the machine. Time stamped proof or even a FaceTime session to certify that they haven't flipped it for a profit would be needed. If they have sold it, they move down the list. No answer to my email? Down the list you go. Simple as that.
Too many people ruining it for others just trying to make a few grand. Really sad.

If that is what people are doing, sad. No other words. I guess I shouldn't be surprised though. Greed is what gets everyone in trouble. It is one of the worst character flaws of humans. No other way to put it.

#1315 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Have we established that this pin is based on Toy Story 4 and not the Buzz Lightyear movie? When theme comes up, some people have been dancing around just coming out and calling it Toy Story. So I wonder if it is really based on BL and it won’t be called Toy Story per se.

IMO JJP probably is taking one shot at the Toy Story theme. With this in mind, I see it being assets from all of the movies. The fact that they are launching right at the same time as the new movie tells me some of those assets will be in this release as well. I don't have any specific knowledge of this, but would seem the most logical given the timing and circumstances. I also believe they have been working on this for some time now and that would lend itself to historical content of Toy Story as well? We will find out in the coming days/weeks

#1379 1 year ago

I just want army men

#1864 1 year ago

If I was Jack, I would launch this thing this second. Based on the stock market, people may not have cash tomorrow

#2566 1 year ago

I have to admit, first impressions are not good. I find it very simple looking and not a fan of the large LCD screen (bigger is not always better). At the end of the day, when you are paying this kind of money, innovation should be front and center. At this point I am simply not seeing it. No order for me until I get to play the game. I was also looking for Toy Story 1-3 assets as well. I am out (for now).

As for comments about JJP 2.0 and lack of innovation, I really do think GnR was able to pull it off. There was something else in play here. Budget constraints? Really trying to shift the target market? I know timeless/home sales have always been Jack's thing. Maybe his voice is really gone?

Maybe the software side of TS4 will blow me away?

Sigh...

#2790 1 year ago
Quoted from wesman:

Didn't notice that scoop initially..! SOLD!!!
I'm just jaw dropped at the rumored pricing for this, and there's no way the JJP owner would drop pricing, riiiiight?
If this were more $6500 LE/$8500 CE things would be more excusable/understandable, but even Led Zeppelin seems to have more going on in the playfield. This seems like the front 80% is barren.
Just....shocked. Still.
Dialed-In was jam packed, Wonka started to lose mechs in comparison, but managed to bluff it out. This....seems all LCD's, all displays, and all software. Which is not traditional pinball, and certainly seems cheaper production wise.
But hey, if it's anything we found out during Covid, someone has to pay.....for profit margins to be met!

That thinking works if you have sales volume. Time will tell, but my gut tells me JJP cut back too much and it will show up in the units sold, thus losing in the aggregate. I think they went too far on the cost cutting with this machine.

Again, have to play it now to be convinced otherwise. I am not 100% out, but will not be purchasing based on what I have seen so far.

#3727 1 year ago

I feel like I owe the designers and JJP an apology. Why? Well I had expectations that were maybe not practical AND JJP probably can't say anything about it. This is what happens when you work with a company like Disney. They are control freaks. So maybe we need to back off the TS4 vs. TS1-3 bashing just a bit? Because the only other option would have been to walk away from the deal entirely and they would not have been able to say why w/o Disney going after them. If they cancelled the pin, we would have flamed JJP up and down right?

Now as for the lack of toys/mechs on the machine? There I personally think they could have made some different choices? I would gladly of swapped out the LCD for a true upper playfield or maybe claw like mech that was in JunkYard or something? That to me is the biggest miss.

With that said, I have watched the video and am more curious about the game now. Will I order right now? Nope, but I will seek out the game and play it a bunch and maybe it will grow on me.

I do think a lot of us had some strong reactions and some of them were over the top. We need to remember there are people that worked years on this game and judging without playing is probably not fair.

This is just my 2 cents...

Let's have fun and play some pinball?

Dave

#3824 1 year ago

So I am getting conflicting information if CE's have sold out. Did they? Or just JJP and the distributors are still unknown?

#4078 1 year ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

So... you'd all prefer a single toy at the back of the playfield rather than a screen that offers 100 more gameplay options, with near endless opportunity for new ideas and updates long into the future?
Time to move on old-timer. The future is knocking on your door.
As most have already said, that screen should've been an Etch-a-Sketch, or a rip off version, something like Draw-a-Score. It needed to be dressed up as a TOY!!! The stunt biker is very obviously the Evel Knieval toy I had as a kid. So just make up a new version of Etch-a-Sketch, with fake twisty buttons on it.
The fact that it looks like a first generation I-Pad is a terrible design choice.

A unique mech is innovation, an LCD screen is visual pinball at best, but a hell of a lot smaller. Furthermore the idea could have been implemented taking up a ton less space. By placing it the way they did, they in fact cut out 20% of the workload. The LCD screen is the one "feature" that really sticks out as a miss to me. Does it kill the whole pin? No. Does it lower the innovation score, absolutely. The LCD was a cheap and safe route.....symptom of the times we are in when VC is in play. Mechs require $ and risk.

#4191 1 year ago

CE's have lost value already?

Guessing this is for an LE (typo)...

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/137273

#4209 1 year ago
Quoted from MaxIsDead:

Did you read it?!?!?

Unless I am missing something, I did read the ad. Shows 12K in the price right? CE's go for 15K. Again, maybe I am missing something obvious though.

#4907 1 year ago

If somehow Pinside AI was here. The best feature it could have would be to suppress bantering back and forth between individuals in what is clearly a mean spirited conversation. It would save the rest of us hours of our life so we don't have to page through this BS. What I am looking for in this thread is constructive feedback on TS4 and more curious about gameplay as it is now out in the wild. I love JJP pins and really like Pat's designs. The more I read, I think a lot of people may have been a little harsh out of the gate. With that said, this is why constructive feedback is really needed. This stuff is really expensive and real information is very helpful for those on the fence.

The direct digs at people on here are amazing. I really do wonder what people's motives are when they post so much hate? Is it that important to them to bash a given manufacturer because they own a competing brand? Really? It also astounds me how brave people can be behind a keyboard.

I will send anyone that wants a chill pill for free

Let's maybe try to be a tad kinder to one another? This is a hobby and frankly it is supposed to be recreation, right?

Peace

Dave

#4930 1 year ago
Quoted from manadams:

You say you want constructive feedback but admit you love JJP pins so what that really means is tell me only positive things to reassure my purchase. I get the love and defense of this company because they were the first to challenge Stern and bring much needed innovation to pinball but you have to call out mistakes when they make them. Choosing the fourth movie theme and charging 12k plus for less mechs/toys were mistakes. Some decisions are polarizing like the code simplification and sound, seems like some people like it and others don't. Game does shoot well and looks fun but will the enjoyment last long enough for people to buy it and keep it in their collection, time will tell.

I have decided against TS4 for now and for mainly the reasons you have talked about above. Your tone/feedback is the kind of feedback I am looking for. To be clear, I loved what JJP has done leading up to this launch. With that said, I do plan on trying it on location and maybe I will feel differently.....but not counting on it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Murrysville, PA
12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Royersford, PA
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 16.95
$ 35.00
Contact
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Kennebunkport, ME
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 299.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Eville Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 11,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.50
Playfield - Decals
Lermods

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 11,500.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider iamabearsfan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-toy-story?tu=iamabearsfan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.