(Topic ID: 290919)

JJP Toy Story (any rumor confirmations?)

By Trojanlaw

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,049 posts
  • 661 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by Chris25810
  • Topic is favorited by 93 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

49E1AA8F-FA29-4F4D-B1BC-1F5A44288A70.jpeg
9A992D2B-FA2B-40FC-AC43-58772CB9538B (resized).jpeg
AC614DA1-F00B-4054-9170-C4D1150B344E (resized).jpeg
IMG_2068 (resized).JPG
IMG_2067 (resized).JPG
72EC51DA-CB1D-4978-8995-03B6B558B128.gif
IMG_3625 (resized).jpeg
224F7BE6-01B8-447C-A998-C3554FBB37C8 (resized).jpeg
GabbyFacemask.jpg
ken_doll_meet_bensons_dummies_by_noureldeinm2003_df7k99y-350t (resized).jpg
86234446-23FA-456B-AC4A-4CF71F767F09 (resized).jpeg
090C9D93-1C0E-4270-A892-121040E8D562 (resized).jpeg
435E7D06-9C0D-4553-AEA9-BE1CE86855F7 (resized).jpeg
6B64B962-6BD0-422D-9BE2-249F80844320 (resized).jpeg
7CBACD5F-A487-4F5E-A9F2-593649FDCD98 (resized).jpeg
AB374773-1B6A-44D9-9D32-700496F69930 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider freakyguy666.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#840 1 year ago

What are the odds on custom Callouts from the actual actors? It certainly won’t “feel” right having impersonators performing the callouts…

#850 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Tom Hanks brother does pretty much all his Woody voicework for games, media, etc and no one is really the wiser. I'm ok with that.

Maybe but what about Buzz?

#882 1 year ago

Are there really going to be 2 CE Versions?

3 weeks later
#2889 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

[quoted image]

I own that Printer…where do you get your toner? It’s expensive….

#3014 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I don't remember - I've only had to replenish it twice.
Does yours go offline frequently and require a powercycle?

It did initially but I switched to a static ip via wired connection and it’s been solid for years…

#3995 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

This was also a criticism of Wonka. People didn't understand why all these callouts from all these different characters were going on.
Once you understand the rules, those specific callouts are communicating status to you for kid progress and such.
All this stuff is done with purpose, it's not randomly thrown into a blender. THe purpose may not be immediately apparent until you spend some time with the game.

Very true…and I think TS4 is designed purposely to been much more accessible to the casual player…so much so that the designers spent a big chunk of the SDTM featurette on the MEET ME AT THE CAROUSEL Wizard mode….clearly this Wizard is intended to be seen and played by even casual players and is something very unique…Pure Imagination by contrast was nearly impossible to access and moreover once accessed it was a relatively short mode…I guarantee the Wizard Mode in TS4 is going to be something much much more elaborate and impressive (not to mention ACCESSIBLE!)….

#3998 1 year ago
Quoted from JayH:

Just watched Dead Flip play Toy Story 4
OMG! I want to play Tiki Party!!

Anyone who was complaining that they couldn’t hear the difference between modes needs to have their hearing checked….the difference in modes is more than obvious in this video….and this video was shot with a phone…

#4422 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Looks like Ayce Gogi has theirs. West Hills location, so 150 miles from you.
[quoted image]

Looks like a Wonka in that pic…

#4458 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

A wonka with a Toy Story 4 title screen?

Pretty much…the wavy background is similar to wonka as is the blue cabinet with thr factory diverter on the left rail…

#4673 1 year ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

I guess only here can you suggest that people play a game before judging it and get called a “JJP account” lol. So here’s the deal, I buy nearly game that comes out, from JJP and Stern, as noted in my collection. I like the products of both companies and for those that know me, my favorites have been for some time now, Wonka and either GZ/JP, one of each brand.
So now we have a bunch of grown adult males (I’m assuming) arguing over a game because of “toys”, I’d say that the majority the people doing the hating have either not played it (because it plays amazing and if you’re into pinball to play and not stare at it, I think it would be hard to argue this), or have some pre-existing reason to hate it. It’s part 4, initially this bugged me too (pre-school theme), but then guess what, Toy Story 1-3 are kids movies too (neither of which had been part of my life since my kids watched them 10 years ago!). Tim Allen’s significant involvement (after he got booted from the new “woke” Lightyear) is enough for me, and he’s the main voice of the game.
The iPad doesn’t get in the way, it covers the top of a busy U-Turn ramp (unlike the static Grogu on Mando), and the Tiki game/multiball is a great mode. The code in this game is the gem, and the Lawlor layout is, a Lawlor layout. Even the little flipper (which in my opinion sucks on TAF, IM, and anywhere else they exist) is actually a good/easy shot (with the layout).
You folks who’ve made you’re mind without playing, if you enjoy playing pinball and like the feel of a TAF, TZ, DI, Wonka, etc, you’re missing out and the more people that play this, will be more evident. If you like Hobbit and WOZ (wow lots of toys) over the games I’ve mentioned above, maybe this isn’t for you (other than it’s pretty easy).
What’s a little annoying is that like most first run JJP’s, it’s required some tuning (which I think I’ve got solved!). Another detractor for good players is that the ball times I think are very long and it’s pretty easy (but so far the code has kept it from getting boring for me). But for most people that makes it fun, especially kids we’re trying to get into the next generation of the hobby so it doesn’t die with the boomers!
My humble opinion

Well, here’s someone who’s played and gone thru the Wizard mode…and it’s not too fun or enjoyable…

#4711 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

There's nothing to "catch." Electrical resistance in the coil increases as heat advances, so the same amount of power does less work over time. Increasing the power once it starts fading just makes the problem worse because more power is more heat which creates more resistance. The only way to address it (and this is the same for every manufacturer) is to:
Stop playing and let the coils cool down, or...
Cool the coils actively externally, or...
Provide less power to the coils.
Less power isn't sexy or desirable for play, but by just changing the duty cycle, you can give it less power in hold and cut a ton off the heat over time, especially with trap players. BUT only Stern has the hardware to support a sub-1ms duty cycle at the moment. All of them will eventually end up going this way in the future.
I have a JJP specific version of the Tibetan Breeze flipper cooling kit that's testing right now that should fit ALL JJP machines, not just GnR. I've been working on it since last summer, going through a bunch of iterations that didn't work out for one reason or another. The problem with JJP for external fan brackets is they have super-tight clearances on flipper plates in all their machines, so for some it's just impossible to mount the brackets I designed years ago where they need to go for best cooling. Hopefully I'll have the word that this recent (final?) design works in all the JJP machines in the next couple weeks. If that's the case, I'll be able to ship a kit that works for all JJP machines by Aug. And, if the existing GnR-type brackets work for Toy Story 4, even sooner for Toy Story 4.

Don’t be too sure that there hasn’t been any improvement to the flipper coils….check out the video I posted and watch how many times the pro player hits that ramp jump shot with no apparent fade…I don’t think you would expect that with the recent JJPs…Im convinced there IS some improvement regardless of the anecdotes floating around…

#4717 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Supposedly the game boosts the flipper power momentarily just for that shot, which is great until fade happens, then it won't help at all.
Temp testing will answer some of the questions. Testing the duty cycles will answer even more. I'll start as soon as I get the machine, supposedly late this week.

Sounds like a plan! I’m in for a set of TB fans if need-be…that said, encouraging that the shot was so repeatable based on the video…anyone saying this is a frustrating shot simply needs to watch the video…the game is about as SMOOTH as I’ve ever seen from modern pinball…this is a KEY element in making a FUN PIN…all wrapped in one of the most beautiful cabinets I’ve ever seen…when you combine beautiful art with smooth gameplay I can’t see how that’s a bad thing….but you know what opinions are like…

#4830 1 year ago
Quoted from romulusx:

The crazy thing is most everyone who has had a chance to play this game is raving about how much fun it is

Again, not a surprise….buttery smooth flow, plus seemingly infinitely repeatable trick shots (see jump ramp in the beginning of this attached video), combined with beautiful art = FUN. Pat knows this. That is why he’s rightfully proud of this game.

#5170 1 year ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

there have been 2 updates since it was released a week ago, and one of them had a pretty big change (benson post mode).

What’s the objective in Benson Post Mode? Seems odd…

#5197 1 year ago

I know, I know, comparing aftermarket prices is “irrelevant” for some people who prefer to stick their heads in the sand and pretend they aren’t “real transactions”….news flash: they ARE real sales and are actually a BETTER indication of fair market value than a set price from the manufacturer….that said, Godzilla LE (limited to only 1,000 units) is selling for the same price as TS4 CE (also limited to only 1,000 units) yet the BOM on TS4 CE is definitely higher than GZ LE….so if BOM is all that matters, TS4 CE has actually been UNDERPRICED…..unless…there is more to “value” than BOM….and is actually subjective….nah, that couldn’t be it…

#5280 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

I don’t think he read the room correctly.
Most expensive JJP ever
Most CE produced ever
No FOMO
No toys
Nothing on the CE you can’t replicate that’s not on the LE except a weak topper and some extra callouts.
I said it’s a fine pin but $16K plus shipping that’s something else. People have to say this CE is worth $4000 more than the LE. I don’t.
I know it’s a few years past but I bought AFM LE for $8k plus shipping and that had an honest to goodness topper. Can’t see spending twice that on a TS4 CE.

Good luck replicating the upgraded playfield & Radcals & art blades & 150+ additional individually controlled LEDs….

#5301 1 year ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Really nothing that special imo.. and the extra 150 cabinet leds were replicated on g@r le and can also be done on this if someone really wants them. Topper is best part of ce but it's lack luster this go around.

Not sure what your point was but the fact remains that’s about a half dozen unique elements to the CE that are not easily replicable…add in scarcity into equation and resale value is clearly better than with a Premium…

#5305 1 year ago
Quoted from underlord:

Yeah, uhm, ok. Resale? I guess.
Just soooo overpriced for no reason. Can’t wait to see how these resell in 12 months. Good, bad or ugly. And pf integrity; hoping they got that finally handled.

“Overpriced” only if you start to see games re-selling for HUGE DISCOUNTS…anyone want to bet on whether TS4 CE’s will be selling for an average price of $12k or less in the next year? I’ll be your huckleberry…..step up…I’ll cover all bets….

1 week later
#5467 1 year ago

Left sling is not functioning properly…typical haters posting garbage…shocker…

#5471 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

Sure it is. That’s the hypnovolley feature. Track the ball as you get hypnotized to think TS4 is a great value for $12k.

With insightful posts like these it’s a wonder this thread is dead…

#5473 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

I thought that on the game I played the left sling was more laid back than the right. I see that video the left was not working, but the game I played it still had 10-15+ volley not all the time but maddening when it happened.

All you have to do is adjust the sling settings so that the power is a few notches off from left to right…never had an issue on location and I’ve played/watched dozens of games…

#5494 1 year ago
Quoted from smokinhos:

Just wanted to say congrats to pinside for trying to force-feed me TS4 with at least 12 different threads now, NOT including for sale threads. Last I checked its still a flop.. can't will this one into the top 10.

Wonka isn’t in the top 10 but many would prefer it to most games in the top 10 so take the rankings with several grains of salt…

#5495 1 year ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I have the game and that’s never happened to me, or anyone else who has played it. Most likely, the game is not leveled properly and just needs to be made steeper. I have my game set at 6.8 degrees. I will say, however, the most dangerous part of the game is the right outlane from the left sling, but if you’ve played recent stern games, it’s not much different. Sterns sling shots are way too powerful on stock settings and easily throw it in the outlanes.

As mentioned numerous times in this very thread the left sling is not functioning…a pretty easy fix for anyone even remotely familiar with pinball….

#5507 1 year ago
Quoted from Freakyguy666:

Wonka isn’t in the top 10 but many would prefer it to most games in the top 10 so take the rankings with several grains of salt…

I rest my case…

#5571 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

After 2 weeks in the company office the game is still down more often than it is up due to stuck balls. There are some serious design flaws in this game, and I am bringing styrofoam with me next time I'm there to press into shape to keep the ball from getting stuck in certain spots. I'm still dialing in switches as well but this is a hard fail from JJP as far as I'm concerned.
As to the game itself, I still don't like it and would rather have most Stern Pros than this from a fun factor.
HOWEVER,
The reception among the "non-pinball" people on this machine at the company office has been overwhelmingly positive, and this is getting played more than Deadpool, Star Wars, or Led Zepplin was when they were here. Non-pinball people understand this game, and the Gabby Gabby, easy ramp, easy scoop, spin wheel, captive ball, and kaboom ramp all make easy targets. As a half decent player, I find it boring and too easy, but the crowd as a whole love it. One of the other guys in the company with a pin (a G&R) told me he preferred the Toy Story because it, "shot better".
As a pinball fan, I'm still lukewarm at best on this, but the masses at the company overwhelmingly improve.
JJP did not build this for pinside... they built it for the non pinball nerd... and its appeal is strong with that crowd.

“Too easy”?? Are you saying you made it to fireworks? And that is only the halfway point…not easy unless you’re at least bordering on being a Pro…

#5596 1 year ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

So do a Banzai Run or NBA Fastbreak backbox then... Why the heck do you need a huge TV there if you’re not going to use it?!

Just because you can’t scan the backbox for instructions doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the Scenes that play when you initiate or complete a mode…

#5602 1 year ago

What part of my post is confusing you? The part that says the backbox is where scenes from the movie play during a lull in gameplay and are much more impressive on a larger display, or the part that says instructions are easier to read closer to the playfield?

#5613 1 year ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

The part where callouts and lights have been enough for most people to understand where to shoot the ball on tons and tons of dmd pins. I didn’t know that people now need it literally spelled out for them on a dedicated screen taking up actual playfield real estate.

Maybe on older games that may be true…welcome to the modern era where code is much deeper than shooting the castle…among other things the small screen imparts critical information as well as a countdown for specific modes so the player can track how much time is remaining without taking their focus off the pf…..but I get it…it’s cool to be critical even though the vast majority who actually play the game enjoy it very much…

#5710 1 year ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Good for u ! You made my point...

And you missed the point…he was clarifying that you could say that about pretty much any game that’s routed…

#5780 1 year ago
Quoted from pinghetto:

I played the Tiki game and thought it was fine, but would get old. BUT, the multiball sucked. How you don't play the main pin multiball and the video pin together (during the multiball) is beyond me. Similar to Stewie multiball of Family Guy.
What a waste.
Brian

Actually, your post is a waste….the Tiki video pin CAN in fact be played simultaneously in multiball…you just didn’t play well enough to reach that mode…go to this link

start at the 41:32 mark…you’ll see Take a Chance MB start and tiki video mode runs simultaneously…tiki also has a big jackpot to try for during that mode and even after the tiki jackpot the multiball continues and tiki pinball continues to run…you’re welcome!

#5789 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

They'd be singing in the streets if they were the case... try under 1k... well under.

More for the CE’s.

#5873 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

Bad enough that JJP thought of and Disney approved bashing a little girl’s face. Bashing a little girl in blackface is worse.

She’s an evil TOY DOLL…think Chucky except instead of slashing a human open she wants to rip out the insides of Woody…

#5907 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

The paperwork with your machine tells you:
- Align the top of the bubble with the second line from the bottom.

Just curious…is this actually accurate? It seems practically EVERY JJP game says “2nd line from the bottom” but the pitch is not intended to be the same for every JJP game….what are the chances this is just inaccurate boilerplate language that JJP reprints with every game?

2 months later
#6025 1 year ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

I have to say, it is WAY more fun than I thought. Getting my own hands on it to tune the flipper power and level it combined with not having to wait forever at a pinball show is all the difference in the world.
My initial reaction is that the hate for the game itself is based on the price (which, yes, does absolutely suck) and ppl be lettin’ dat bleed into dey opinyun.
I’m shocked at how much I want to play again tbh.
We’ll see how it earns! We’ve always thought it would be a killer theme for earnings as we get decent kids traffic on weekends and regulars have been clamoring for the subtle variety that JJP brings.
TLDR:
Gabby’s ugly and I want to bash her face in.

The main complaint is not that this isn’t “fun” or “attractive” to kids….it is that people are getting thru to the main Wizard mode far too quickly and there is virtually no difference between completing the game with Buzz or Woody…so not much incentive to keep playing in the long run…

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Contact
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 35.00
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frederick, MD
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 11,500.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place
Pinball Machine
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 299.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Eville Pinball
Armor and blades
$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
Machine - For Sale
Waterford Township, MI
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider freakyguy666.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-toy-story?tu=freakyguy666 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.