(Topic ID: 290919)

JJP Toy Story (any rumor confirmations?)

By Trojanlaw

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,049 posts
  • 661 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by Chris25810
  • Topic is favorited by 93 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

49E1AA8F-FA29-4F4D-B1BC-1F5A44288A70.jpeg
9A992D2B-FA2B-40FC-AC43-58772CB9538B (resized).jpeg
AC614DA1-F00B-4054-9170-C4D1150B344E (resized).jpeg
IMG_2068 (resized).JPG
IMG_2067 (resized).JPG
72EC51DA-CB1D-4978-8995-03B6B558B128.gif
IMG_3625 (resized).jpeg
224F7BE6-01B8-447C-A998-C3554FBB37C8 (resized).jpeg
GabbyFacemask.jpg
ken_doll_meet_bensons_dummies_by_noureldeinm2003_df7k99y-350t (resized).jpg
86234446-23FA-456B-AC4A-4CF71F767F09 (resized).jpeg
090C9D93-1C0E-4270-A892-121040E8D562 (resized).jpeg
435E7D06-9C0D-4553-AEA9-BE1CE86855F7 (resized).jpeg
6B64B962-6BD0-422D-9BE2-249F80844320 (resized).jpeg
7CBACD5F-A487-4F5E-A9F2-593649FDCD98 (resized).jpeg
AB374773-1B6A-44D9-9D32-700496F69930 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dakotamike.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4600 1 year ago

-Cross-posted in the other Toy Story thread too-

So played a bunch of games on TS tonight, and watched a bunch of games being played too. Here are some first impressions:

-The game reminds me heavily of the Toy Story "Midway Mania" ride from Disney World. If you've ever ridden that.

-Game is a smooth and easy shooter for the most part. Lots of makeable shots and it's very possible to do a left ramp to right ramp back-and-forth combo.

-It's a pretty forgiving game, with generally long ball times. That being said, the right outlane was fairly brutal on the TS that I played. Lots of bounce outs from the top of the right inlane.

-Duke Caboom jump-shot is fun, and I found making 2 shots in-a-row fairly easy, but 3 in-a-row hard.

-Music and sounds are mixed for me, some Toy Story stuff, but a lot of just general jingles and jangles, and generic lot-tee-da carnival-esque music. Callouts are good. But the overall soundscape doesn't fully work for me.

-Lot's of clips from TS4, but not a lot of synced audio when the clips played. Remined me of Wonka in that way, but maybe I missed some stuff while watching the ball.

-Code is decent, but missing any kind of real story progression or impactful moments. I didn't feel sucked into the game's world, or pulled into the game on a deeper level. At least not with as far as I progressed in the game tonight. There could be more gold farther into the game.

-Most of the modes are various carnival games, and not movie moments. So they don't feel particularly tied to the Toy Story franchise. Often the game feels like a carnival theme, and not a Toy Story theme.

-Game is very fun, and I didn't feel like anything was missing from a gameplay perspective, but something about the code doesn't fully satisfy.

-Also, I'm not sure about getting to the Wizard Mode being easy. We had some good players playing tonight, and no one made it there. But maybe there's a better path to the Wizard-Mode that we weren't following.

Closing Thought:

Toy Story 4 is very fun to play, and it's nice to have a proper Disney/Pixar theme, but I think TS is at least a couple thousand overpriced. Based on what I saw and played.

#4620 1 year ago

Forgot to add, that the flippers felt like your standard slightly mushy, slightly weak JJP flippers.

They felt the same as other JJPs, and they definitely faded over the course of the night.

#4638 1 year ago
Quoted from JSC:

Outside the absurd price, the biggest issue to me is that iPad screen, it just looks horrible and contrary to why most people play pinball IMO - the mechanical feel in a digital age. I’m also not buying the licensing thing as being insurmountable. Disney licenses their stuff all over the place including on very cheap and low quality products. I’m looking at 50 cent Walmart party favors right now with mickeys face on them. Searching for items sold by Walmart (to filter out knockoffs) gives over 1000 hits, with all kinds of low quality junk from furniture to generic shoes. If Huggies can label their diapers as Toy Story and not TS4 why couldn’t JJP.

Have you played a TS yet? I found the screen was used very well, and it's sitting over the pf, so the ball can still move under and around it. The screen conveys a lot of information and is easier to look at while playing than the backbox. And it didn't dominate my vision at all while I was playing.

#4676 1 year ago
Quoted from JSC:

I have not, but I’d like to try it. Even if it’s fun, I don’t see myself ever embracing an iPad screen on a pinball machine. Also if the game is so complicated it needs an iPad screen to follow it’s probably not for me. I prefer simple rule sets like Monster Bash or MMR. I’d like to own a JJP for something different, but don’t think this will be the one.

Fair enough. Also, it doesn't convey complicated information. Just stuff like "shoot the right ramp", ect. The nearest comparison would be the dmd under the glass on Cirqus Voltaire.

#4677 1 year ago
Quoted from PtownPin:I may have heard wrong, but I thought someone mentioned they fixed that issue? Not sure it its true or not?

Felt the same as any other JJP to me. At least as it had been played pretty steady for a couple hours.

#4727 1 year ago
Quoted from coop:

I bet it was great. Unfortunately, on location after a lot of play, NO ONE was able to make the shot all night due to weak flippers. People said it was working earlier in the day but I didn't see a single person make it through the ring of lights—I took about a dozen shots and it just didn't have the gas to make it all the way. Soon, I just gave up and avoided the shot but that really cripples the enjoyment of the game—and your points I'm guessing.

Huh, interesting. The fade I noticed on TS4 didn't have any effect on the jump ramp. The determining factor on the jump ramp was whether or not you made it between the posts. Always seemed to have plenty of power for that. Also, the ramps were still makeable.

The main thing I noticed in regards to fade was that the left-ramp stopped being backhandable, and that overall sluggish feeling increased over the night. But the game was still perfectly playable otherwise.

#4796 1 year ago

Yeah, I love Mando. Particularly, the Premium. Fun to shoot, good code, and lots of show assets on the LCD.

#5060 1 year ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

-----------------
And as far as the SE Model goes, how could they have a TS4 SE????
I mean, what could they actually drop from the LE to make it an SE?

Lose the hot rails, powdercoating, shaker, and invisiglass. And boom, you've got an SE TS4.

#5067 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

That's like $200-250 off the BOM cost. Ain't gonna move the needle.

Quoted from Palmer:

SE would still be 11K without all that stuff. There is a reason why they didn't include an SE. Not enough to take out to make a large enough difference. Pretty sure everyone would be up in arms if they released an 11K SE. And no one would buy it because the disparity between it and an LE would be too small.

Listen guys, you make me chuckle if you think that the actual BOM cost of TS4 has anything to do with the MSRP that JJP is charging. JJP is charging 15k for the CE and 12k for LE, not because it costs them anywhere near that to make them, but because they think they can. JJP looked at the market and decided they could get away with those prices.

I don't think cutting the features I listed would actually reduce JJP's cost by much, but it would be a way for them to differentiate an SE model. The differences between the SE and LE on Dialed In, and on also on Wonka, was even more minimal than what I've suggested for a theoretical TS4 SE.

I'm also not suggesting that JJP actually make an SE model, but someone asked how it could be done, and so I put forth an idea.

#5180 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The Benson posts keep being touted as some crazy interactive feature when in reality they seem designed to prevent airballs from off centered pop up ramp shots. NGG has similar posts on each side of its pop up ramp.
The most disappointing thing about Toy Story 4 code is the complete lack of mini wizard modes. There’s no way I’m spending $12k+ on a pin without at least 1 mini wizard mode. Every JJP pin has contained at least one mini wizard mode until Toy Story 4.

Isn't Carnival MB, a mini-wizard mode? It takes several steps to unlock, and it has multiple stages to the mode.

Seems like a mini-wizard mode to me. Am I wrong here?

#5266 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Quick thoughts after 3 games on the Toy Story I just set up for the company office.
An unexcusable number of ball hangups. I had to remove the glass 4 times in the 3 games I got to play. Maybe it just needs dialed in. It is level left to right and at a 6.5 degree pitch.
The light show in this thing is amazing and they did a good job with the animations on the screen.
I would venture to say that the attract mode on this is the single best I have ever seen in any game ever.
There really are not that many shots on this machine.
Have not had a reason to look at the mini display in the machine yet.
I did not read a tutorial and am still not really sure what I am doing yet.
I have had more fun on first plays of other machines, but will give this one more time and report back. I will say that it is a looker.
Looking forward to playing more games on this in the next few days.[quoted image][quoted image]

I'd check pitch and level again, and barring that look it over closely. The TS4 I played never had any hangups over multiple games.

#5309 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I unboxed a corporate owned Toy Story 4 for the company office Tuesday and this game is a hard fail from Jersey Jack completely separate from gameplay.
First of all, there is an inexcusable number of stuck balls on this game. I have confirmed with my phone as well as my dedicated inclinometer that the game is at a 6.5 degree slope and that it is perfectly level left to right. I have had to physically bend the ball return where the wires go underneath the “Ducky and Bunny” toys as the ball kept getting hung up there. I have had to adjust the return gate by where the prize wheel is. The third ball ALWAYS gets stuck there when releasing balls for multiball. I have had to “shake the crap” out of the machine multiple times to get the ball unstuck from behind the LCD gamepad multiple times.
As to other issues with this $12,000 machine. I have had the laser kickback work 1 time in actually returning the ball to the game. It has drained every single other time. This NIB machine has multiple loose switches in it. After less than 20 plays, every single flipper hit and nudge triggers the far right pop. The little pop ups next to the kaboom ramp are not flush, and effect the travel path of the ball. Same thing with the spinning wheel. The slings on this game are anemic.
As to gameplay and layout? I really don’t have that much to say as most games I play are incomplete due to the ball hangups, and most other folks don’t either as casuals are not removing the glass to fix stuck balls. I will say that the Duke Kaboom ramp is satisfying, and that Gabby Gabby is not very well integrated. The modes do not feel different from one another at all. My ST:TNG, LOTR, JP, and Deadpool Pro all have very different feeling and playing modes. These all felt the same.
As to the pros… the Duke Kaboom rampe is satisfying, the screen looks great, the game looks beautiful, and I really like the cake toppers. I feel like this game should be more approachable to noobs and casuals and the mini tablet does a good job of explaining what is going on, but they have all this fancy stuff in here and it is still not obvious what you are supposed to do in general. Addams family had a “shoot the ramps then shoot the scoop” to start the modes. This does not have something simple like that.
Maybe the game will be better once it is dialed in, but I am beyond disappointed with the build quality issues I’m having. There are so many freaking oversights on this with them trying to make this nice that it’s not funny. For example, the game came with a cheap wrench labled leg bolt wrench… the wrench doesn’t actually fit the bolts (it is barely too small). You have to remove a plate with a huge warning cover labeled “qualified service personnel” to even plug this in. This game looks like they were trying to make a game to appeal to the masses that was less complicated. I don’t think they satisfied anyone here. I would rather have any other JJP game than this based on gameplay. I am grateful the company put a machine in the office, but a Cyclone would have been infinitely more entertaining. I do think this will appeal to little kids that will want to shoot the Duke Kaboom ramp repeatedly though. It is an easy target that appeals to noobs and casuals like scoring goals in World Cup Soccer 94. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You've got bad luck there. I haven't heard of anyone else reporting the ball hangups that you have. I'd try increasing the slope past 6.5. Go to 7 degrees, and see if that helps.

#5351 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Disaster for Spooky going forward. They burned their base HARD. That sellout was because people TRUSTED Spooky due to accumulated goodwill, and that loss is not easy to charge up again. That trust was OBLITERATED with Halloween/Ultraman. Look at the marketplace. People selling a top of the line Ultraman for $6700. That's DUMPING. If Spooky is really are doing a double release AGAIN, they learned nothing and it will be very interesting soon.

People expected the same star team behind the scenes as Rick and Morty had. We knew the layout was Bug and Luke's, but we didn't realize that none of the programming, rules, or display team was involved. No Bowen, no nothing.

And it wasn't just flippers that got screwed, it was anyone who normally only keeps their pins for a few months. I know I'm never buying a Spooky game ahead of time. I'll buy one for market rate, when I can have it immediately. None of this pay a 2k deposit and watch prices crash for a year crap.

1 week later
#5568 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

How many times have you played it?

I've played it a bunch of times and completely agree with his statements.

#5581 1 year ago
Quoted from yancy:

Strange but true. When casuals play our games, I see stuck balls in places I've managed to avoid in thousands of plays.

Yeah, I've seen that too!

#5651 1 year ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

How about double the earning power with JP and GZ, 2 Stern pros for about the same money, if you’re really committed to arcade pinball? Wouldn’t those double earned profits make you even happier?

Except, that those two don't earn as much as you'd think. At least according to the Ops that I know. Every dedicated pinhead and their brother has played the crap out of JP and Godzilla, or likely owns or has owned them. So you're really looking to get coin from more casual players on those two pins.

And Godzilla as a theme doesn't speak that much to casuals compared to something like TS4, and Jurassic Park does draw casuals, but it's a fairly difficult game. So casuals probably aren't gonna keep pumping quarters into it the way they might an easier shooter.

There's a lot more that goes into coin-drop numbers on location, than simply which games are rated or thought of as "the best." Our TS4 is doing good numbers, and the OP running it will keep it until the numbers drop, and then he'll sell it or trade it. As long as the coin drop exceeds the depreciation he'll be happy.

#5666 1 year ago
Quoted from Noma2017:

Listen to This Week in pinball podcast this week. Jack explains a lot about TS4 and the hosts actually brought up the GNR sales figures and he confirmed it

Right, but Jack is hardly an unbiased source of information.

#5671 1 year ago
Quoted from Noma2017:

Totally fine. I accept that you think he inflates those sales figures. Now TS4 is a smashing sales success, right? Eclipsing GNR in one day!

LOL. I never said that Jack inflated the numbers, I just said he might not be a completely reliable source of information. Given his position at JJP.

I don't have a comment of TS4's sales. That's the other guy. But from what I have seen, it seems like it's easier to get a TS4 at msrp a few weeks after release than it was to get a GNR.

#5706 1 year ago

Kind of sad how many lies Jack has told publicly. I vividly remember an interview where Jack said if you work for his company, you have a job for life. As long as you want to work at Jersey Jack, you can.

And yet not long after that interview, they fired Butch Peel (even though he was beloved, and seemingly did a great job as far as could be seen from the public view) And of course, they got rid of Lloyd (who's also great) more recently. And that's not even mentioning all the line workers in Jersey who most likely lost their jobs when the factory was moved to Chicago.

There have been a lot of mystifying decisions at Jersey Jack Pinball the last couple of years. I'd love to know who's really running the show day-to-day, and who's making all the big decisions. I think it's pretty clear that Jack is just a figurehead. I'd hope that when he said he wanted people who worked for him to have jobs for life, that he meant it, and instead he's just been overruled by the Abess's, or whomever they have running the show.

Ah, to be a fly on the wall in some of these meetings.

#5724 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Glad you got to play it. The animations are great like you said. That ringing bell sound from the spinner can definitely get annoying after a while.
What's odd and a bit sad is that one of the main features of the 10" LCD is for Tiki Pinball yet it plays terribly. It reminds of poor quality 60hz virtual pinball running on lower end hardware. Tiki Pinball is supposed to be the flagship mode for the mini LCD but it's a laggy mess IMO.

Part of my problem with Tiki Pinball is that qualifying the multiball mode simply requires switch hits. So it's often advisable to let the ball drain while the timer is still counting down, so that the ball can go back up into the pops.

So depending on luck, you can often get by without even really flipping th3 tiki pinball anyway.

#5739 1 year ago
Quoted from yancy:

There's a setting for Tiki to make it one-drain-and-done.

Yeah, but Tiki Pinball isn't controllable enough for that. And starting it is kinda random too, since it's a wheel award. So you can't just get right back in it if you drain out, like you can on say Mandolorian.

#5893 1 year ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Seriously would’ve been cool if they had two Benson heads popping with smartass commentary!

Sadly, being ventriloquist dummies, the Bensons are mute.

1 week later
#5970 1 year ago
Quoted from monkfe:

They used to have Stern machines, but removed them blaming " they broke down to often" when I asked. I'm sure they have some connection as Jack's original location was just a short drive away...

Yeah, cuz that reason doesn't really pass mustard.

2 months later
#6004 1 year ago
Quoted from underlord:

Folks have moved on looks like. Shinier toys better priced. JJP got locked into one movie and tried to out scalp the scalpers and everyone lost.

Plus, TS4 is sooo boring to me. I don't get feelings of excitement or any kind of rush playing it. Like it's not a terrible game, it's just so blah. And the music JJP chose does not help in that department.

1 week later
#6035 1 year ago

Having played both, I find Wonka to be quite a bit more satisfying to shoot.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 11,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Little Egg Harbor, NJ
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks
Other
Machine - For Sale
Waterford Township, MI
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Contact
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 299.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Eville Pinball
Armor and blades
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frederick, MD
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 35.00
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dakotamike.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-toy-story?tu=dakotamike and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.