(Topic ID: 290919)

JJP Toy Story (any rumor confirmations?)

By Trojanlaw

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,049 posts
  • 661 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by Chris25810
  • Topic is favorited by 93 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

49E1AA8F-FA29-4F4D-B1BC-1F5A44288A70.jpeg
9A992D2B-FA2B-40FC-AC43-58772CB9538B (resized).jpeg
AC614DA1-F00B-4054-9170-C4D1150B344E (resized).jpeg
IMG_2068 (resized).JPG
IMG_2067 (resized).JPG
72EC51DA-CB1D-4978-8995-03B6B558B128.gif
IMG_3625 (resized).jpeg
224F7BE6-01B8-447C-A998-C3554FBB37C8 (resized).jpeg
GabbyFacemask.jpg
ken_doll_meet_bensons_dummies_by_noureldeinm2003_df7k99y-350t (resized).jpg
86234446-23FA-456B-AC4A-4CF71F767F09 (resized).jpeg
090C9D93-1C0E-4270-A892-121040E8D562 (resized).jpeg
435E7D06-9C0D-4553-AEA9-BE1CE86855F7 (resized).jpeg
6B64B962-6BD0-422D-9BE2-249F80844320 (resized).jpeg
7CBACD5F-A487-4F5E-A9F2-593649FDCD98 (resized).jpeg
AB374773-1B6A-44D9-9D32-700496F69930 (resized).jpeg
There are 6,049 posts in this topic. You are on page 94 of 121.
#4651 1 year ago
Quoted from snaroff:

It's pathetic that a mainstream pinball company in JJP's position (making premium games) can't engineer perky flippers that don't fade. WTF?
In a home environment, it's not a showstopper, however in an arcade, it's a big deal. Nothing more frustrating than playing on location and you can't make shots because of weak flippers.

There are almost never jjps on location that I ever see in real life. So honestly, the jjp flippers don't bother me at all.

#4652 1 year ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

There are almost never jjps on location that I ever see in real life. So honestly, the jjp flippers don't bother me at all.

JJP better hope locations are buying them! (and therefore should be concerned about flipper strength and fade).

#4653 1 year ago
Quoted from Vitty:

For everyone not caring and disappointed in this game they sure do keep coming back to this thread…. I’d wager a fair number of them will have this in their collection in the future

I think it looks fun and I'm a huge PL fan. But I'm down on Disney and down on JJP right now. More power to them - they can do what they want. They just won't be doing it with my money.

Buying on the secondary market when prices come down (because they will) would allow me to try it out but not directly condone the direction JJP is taking.

#4654 1 year ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I to will wait for the dust to settle. Give it a little time and used ones like EVERY SINGLE NEW RELEASE FROM ALL COMPANIES, will be available before Christmas at a decent price. TS4 looks very fun so I can't wait to play it. Some will not like it which is 100% fine.. But why they keep coming back to this thread bashing it is a mystery to me. Anyway, I just looked at your collection and I must say, you have a wide variety of very nice games.

The haters are hilarious broke hoes. They wanted to buy it for 9.5 and sell it for 12. They come here to bash gameplay/layout but really just want to justify why they can't afford the going rate of sought after games. Toy Story 4 is a great game already. Just like Godzilla was right out of the gate. I wish the price was lower on a lot of games but to complain of empty playfield when people haven't played it. It's actually packed with shots. It's embarrassing and sad to constantly see crybabies bash a title they can't afford.

#4655 1 year ago
Quoted from Vernisious:

The haters are hilarious broke hoes. They wanted to buy it for 9.5 and sell it for 12. They come here to bash gameplay/layout but really just want to justify why they can't afford the going rate of sought after games. Toy Story 4 is a great game already. Just like Godzilla was right out of the gate. I wish the price was lower on a lot of games but to complain of empty playfield when people haven't played it. It's actually packed with shots. It's embarrassing and sad to constantly see crybabies bash a title they can't afford.

Thats funny!

#4656 1 year ago
Quoted from Vernisious:

“You guys are just jealous of us and our money”.
That is funny.

#4657 1 year ago

Anyone else not surprised that a new pin was the most played on location the first week of release?

IIRC, Mando was popular when it launched and then interest dropped off quite quickly afterward. We’ll see how TS4 holds up a few months from now.

My guess is it’ll continue to be a draw in the right locations. Also, as many have pointed out (and we’ve heard from operators on podcasts like BDYETP), top earning pins often don’t align with pins that hobbyists enjoy.

All that matters is if you like it

#4658 1 year ago
Quoted from Vespula:

I agree GnR is just as you described. Very special.
I think ts4 is special in it's own way too.
Targeting a different, kinder, gentler, wholesome, younger demographic. Who else is making brand new pinball machines with this kind of theme targeting that group?
Is the timing of this good? JJP seems to be proving they are by staying ahead of the curve from a marketing and business standpoint but either way they are running a very successful business whether you like them, or their games, or not. They clearly have Stern's attention. And they got mine with GnR.
I'd never even wanted or considered to own a pinball machine until GNR released and the promo came across my phone that late night December 30, 2020 where I had my Napoleon Dynamite "I want that!" moment and immediately went to JJP website and put down my deposit so I could then (Unknowingly) wait 11 long months for delivery.
The comparison imo is there will be enough ts4 younger "me" generation buyers out there (with 2.3 young kids now) who Like me didn't have or want a pinball machine until they resonate with ts4 and see marketing, on location, or word of mouth promo, or a search algorithm pushes the toy story pinball machine promo video to their phone Because they rented TS on Amazon ...
They will jump in for the first time like me and the cost won't be a consideration for them because it's resonates and they want it. Pretty much anybody (And I'm throwing caution to the wind saying this) pretty much anybody can come up with 10 grand. It's the new 5 grand... Then you're some pocket change away from a TS4 and loads of "fun for the whole family.".
If you ever meet them and talk to them, they'll probably say "what's pinside?". And had JJP shipped my GnR pinball machine the next week after I ordered instead of 11 months later I probably would have never heard of it either. Lucky you.

No doubt that a lot of new (non pinball) people will purchase this pin especially for the reasons you stated, younger generations with 2.5 kids and simply because of the subject material.

But honestly, to the people in this hobby, like myself, that have been buying their machines and other manufacturers machines for years. This is a tough pill to swallow for the price tag they hung on it. All of us that have been around pinball for years know what JJP is capable of and what they stood for when when Jack started this company. Toy Story 4 the pin is far from that and their most expensive pinball machine to date. I literally laughed out loud when I read the list of what this pin includes. the list is so short they had to include stuff that is not even functional parts of the game.

I played the game, as I said, and I think it’s fine. It’s fast it’s fun and the theme is well integrated. Most importantly people that have kids, those kids will love this pin. This game, code wise, may even become one of the greatest (who knows). But I think it will always be a disappointment or miss for what could have been a true world under glass.

Sadly this seems to be a more than JJP just staying ahead of the curve from a business and marketing point. It just seems greedy, or more honestly, like a quick cash grab. Especially when you consider the way the game was released. Yes JJP is a successful business but they won’t stay that way making games like this; games that contradict their very reason of existence in the pinball market. To make games that are a true world under glass.

0BE32E90-1DB9-4C73-94A1-D44350DE5504 (resized).jpeg0BE32E90-1DB9-4C73-94A1-D44350DE5504 (resized).jpeg
#4659 1 year ago
Quoted from Vernisious:

Im just a hoe with money, I only hate JJP, not ts4, im looking forward to playing it, but as a person with a thriving business I will never support a company that knowingly screws their customers the way that JJP did to me, i know its just a game and thats fine, but in my case, just like in LTGs case its not always about money , its about reciprocal respect and the owners and management currently at JJP have none of that. But if-you haven’t been on the other end of the poor treatment it's easy to support them, i was that way once too.

#4660 1 year ago
Quoted from Vernisious:

I haven’t heard one pinsider say they couldn’t afford the machine. In fact, people that can’t afford pinball machines, i don’t think they are waisting their time on any pinball threads.

you are missing the point.

If this pin was loaded, like a normal JJP pin usually is, no one would even bring up the price. We’re all pinball addicted morons and throw whatever amount of money to a pinball manufacturer that builds a loaded pin with halfway decent theme integration.

I would’ve bought a CE if this machine was anything special but instead I canceled my LE spot.

It sucks, honestly!

#4661 1 year ago

What’s saddest for me is that this is/was/might be Pat Lawlor’s last game.

Can you imagine what he could have done with the actual Toy Story license, a good BOM budget and some innovative pinball toys worthy of the license and Jack’s original vision for JJP games?

I would have almost certainly have paid whatever price JJP asked.

#4662 1 year ago
Quoted from Vernisious:

I just bought a 12k pinball but it's not a Toy Story, am I allowed to bash Toy Story ?

#4663 1 year ago
Quoted from Colehvac1:

Im just a hoe with money, I only hate JJP, not ts4, im looking forward to playing it, but as a person with a thriving business I will never support a company that knowingly screws their customers the way that JJP did to me, i know its just a game and thats fine, but in my case, just like in LTGs case its not always about money , its about reciprocal respect and the owners and management currently at JJP have none of that. But if-you haven’t been on the other end of the poor treatment it's easy to support them, i was that way once too.

This basically my point. A lot of people have differing reasons for not wanting Toy Story or not supporting JJP. Which is fine but it's tired seeing pinside threads filled with hate with baseless accusations. ie the game sucks, there's nothing in the game. This game is a banger. Maybe pinside was always like this. I come for news and help fixing my pin issues.

#4664 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinball-Obsessed:

If this pin was loaded, like a normal JJP pin usually is, no one would even bring up the price. We’re all pinball addicted morons and throw whatever amount of money to a pinball manufacturer that builds a loaded pin with halfway decent theme integration.
I would’ve bought a CE if this machine was anything special but instead I canceled my LE spot.
It sucks, honestly!

Well said. This is the bottom line for many of us.

#4665 1 year ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I'm aware. It's my assertion that he's trying to pump it up as he bought the most overpriced model.
To say it's far better than anything else they have there, and all the machines they own are bangers is exageration of the year.

It’s just his opinion.

#4666 1 year ago

Broke ass hoes

#4667 1 year ago
Quoted from Vernisious:

This basically my point. A lot of people have differing reasons for not wanting Toy Story or not supporting JJP. Which is fine but it's tired seeing pinside threads filled with hate with baseless accusations. ie the game sucks, there's nothing in the game. This game is a banger. Maybe pinside was always like this. I come for news and help fixing my pin issues.

You would feel differently if you supported them the way some of us did behind the scenes, 1000s of dollars,100s of hours and then one day when you need a small amount of any kind of reciprication they turn their backs,they are aonewayonlycompany now,and im not talking aboutjack, i knowjack is a stand up guy, im talking the current JJP

#4668 1 year ago
Quoted from Colehvac1:

You would feel differently if you supported them the way some of us did behind the scenes, 1000s of dollars,100s of hours and then one day when you need a small amount of any kind of reciprication they turn their backs,they are aonewayonlycompany now,and im not talking aboutjack, i knowjack is a stand up guy, im talking the current JJP

That's a bummer. I like most pinball companies and feel we are in a great time for innovation and creative games. I'm excited to flip TS4 and am shocked at the hate (not that shocked).

#4669 1 year ago
Quoted from Vernisious:

That's a bummer. I like most pinball companies and feel we are in a great time for innovation and creative games. I'm excited to flip TS4 and am shocked at the hate (not that shocked).

What’s with people 2022 who need a dictionary for basic words like “hate”?

I sense disappointment and ridicule but hate?

Personally I write mildly against TS4, mainly because I feel it’s a lazy “effort” from JJP where cost cutting clashes with MSRP.

But rest assured, I don’t hate TS4 or JJP. I hate that carbs give me love handles.

#4670 1 year ago
cat (resized).jpgcat (resized).jpg
#4671 1 year ago

I've owned Wonka and I have about 30 plays on TS4. IMO this is a better Wonka, by a long shot. I'd call it a Wonka+ vs. Wonka Lite.

I have a Godzilla Prem and wanted to do my own analysis on the 2 packages ON A PRICE BASIS.

GZ Prem vs. TS4 LE.

To me price is a factor, but if I love and want the game (which I do) then I just have to decide if the premium price over a GZ Prem. Why GZ Prem? I believe this is the gold standard for 2022 price/value.

Here is my subjective analysis of the value benefits of each game and what it has to offer. Do you disagree with my value analysis or did I miss something? I'm happy to be swayed.

>>> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14hCfLbbGQehNG9ougLJC7VHJQl09N5ilEInTsS11J_Q/edit?usp=sharing <<<

FWIW I have a CE on order and am considering an LE. I do love this game and will prob be picking up the LE (I like the blue package much better). Why don't I care that it's 2k more on a value basis? It's that much fun and I don't think it will take much to get some great TS1 and TS2 toys in there to address that part.

Last note: The screen in there doesn't bother me at all and I love the SFX + light show is sick!! If those things bother you then I think there is no other analysis that matters to you and appreciate that the $2k over price thing pisses you off.

#4672 1 year ago
Quoted from Colehvac1:

What they did to Lloyd is BS

What does Ken Cromwell bring to the table? Higher prices and terrible “marketing”? Since he came on board this is what we get?

Let’s go all in. Pat Lawlor should be fired and retired for making such a piece of shit lack of innovation game.

#4673 1 year ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

I guess only here can you suggest that people play a game before judging it and get called a “JJP account” lol. So here’s the deal, I buy nearly game that comes out, from JJP and Stern, as noted in my collection. I like the products of both companies and for those that know me, my favorites have been for some time now, Wonka and either GZ/JP, one of each brand.
So now we have a bunch of grown adult males (I’m assuming) arguing over a game because of “toys”, I’d say that the majority the people doing the hating have either not played it (because it plays amazing and if you’re into pinball to play and not stare at it, I think it would be hard to argue this), or have some pre-existing reason to hate it. It’s part 4, initially this bugged me too (pre-school theme), but then guess what, Toy Story 1-3 are kids movies too (neither of which had been part of my life since my kids watched them 10 years ago!). Tim Allen’s significant involvement (after he got booted from the new “woke” Lightyear) is enough for me, and he’s the main voice of the game.
The iPad doesn’t get in the way, it covers the top of a busy U-Turn ramp (unlike the static Grogu on Mando), and the Tiki game/multiball is a great mode. The code in this game is the gem, and the Lawlor layout is, a Lawlor layout. Even the little flipper (which in my opinion sucks on TAF, IM, and anywhere else they exist) is actually a good/easy shot (with the layout).
You folks who’ve made you’re mind without playing, if you enjoy playing pinball and like the feel of a TAF, TZ, DI, Wonka, etc, you’re missing out and the more people that play this, will be more evident. If you like Hobbit and WOZ (wow lots of toys) over the games I’ve mentioned above, maybe this isn’t for you (other than it’s pretty easy).
What’s a little annoying is that like most first run JJP’s, it’s required some tuning (which I think I’ve got solved!). Another detractor for good players is that the ball times I think are very long and it’s pretty easy (but so far the code has kept it from getting boring for me). But for most people that makes it fun, especially kids we’re trying to get into the next generation of the hobby so it doesn’t die with the boomers!
My humble opinion

Well, here’s someone who’s played and gone thru the Wizard mode…and it’s not too fun or enjoyable…

#4674 1 year ago

Guy gets GC and complains about slingshot to left outlane, “feels like the game is designed for player to fail”. Looks like he could shoot the right ramp all day.

#4675 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

What they did to Lloyd is BS
What does Ken Cromwell bring to the table? Higher prices and terrible “marketing”? Since he came on board this is what we get?
Let’s go all in. Pat Lawlor should be fired and retired for making such a piece of shit lack of innovation game.

Whenever they trot out Pat Lawlor in interviews, I cringe. The guy is a legend but he's so past his prime that you wonder if he can even play pinball anymore. He talks slowly and certainly doesn't seem like he'd have the reflexes to play a fast shooting game, but we're supposed to think that this guy who crawls through every sentence on camera is innovating pinball? Does anyone think he even saw Toy Story 4 before being assigned this project?

#4676 1 year ago
Quoted from JSC:

I have not, but I’d like to try it. Even if it’s fun, I don’t see myself ever embracing an iPad screen on a pinball machine. Also if the game is so complicated it needs an iPad screen to follow it’s probably not for me. I prefer simple rule sets like Monster Bash or MMR. I’d like to own a JJP for something different, but don’t think this will be the one.

Fair enough. Also, it doesn't convey complicated information. Just stuff like "shoot the right ramp", ect. The nearest comparison would be the dmd under the glass on Cirqus Voltaire.

#4677 1 year ago
Quoted from PtownPin:I may have heard wrong, but I thought someone mentioned they fixed that issue? Not sure it its true or not?

Felt the same as any other JJP to me. At least as it had been played pretty steady for a couple hours.

#4678 1 year ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

Guy gets GC and complains about slingshot to left outlane, “feels like the game is designed for player to fail”. Looks like he could shoot the right ramp all day.

It's Walt Wood, #55 ranked player in the world and a top player in CO.

#4679 1 year ago
Quoted from manadams:

It's Walt Wood, #55 ranked player in the world and a top player in CO.

Explains why he made it look so easy!

#4680 1 year ago
Quoted from seenev:

Whenever they trot out Pat Lawlor in interviews, I cringe. The guy is a legend but he's so past his prime that you wonder if he can even play pinball anymore. He talks slowly and certainly doesn't seem like he'd have the reflexes to play a fast shooting game, but we're supposed to think that this guy who crawls through every sentence on camera is innovating pinball? Does anyone think he even saw Toy Story 4 before being assigned this project?

My God, man, have some fucking respect. The guy makes the smoothest shooting games in all of pinball. He's the best of the best, still. Just because jjp limited his Bom and they decided to make a more approachable game doesn't tarnish Pat's reputation as a designer at all. Try designing ONE fucking ramp and get back to us. Ffs.

#4681 1 year ago
Quoted from seenev:

It was tongue in cheek for me re Pat.

The pricing structure? I’d like to know who was driving that bus and I don’t want to hear “bean counters”

The whole management crew is responsible.

Still doesn’t excuse the level of whining and crybaby ranting

#4682 1 year ago
Quoted from Freakyguy666:

Well, here’s someone who’s played and gone thru the Wizard mode…and it’s not too fun or enjoyable…

Nice video! Looks like he and others watching are having a blast. Jump ramp is butter and not as easy as he makes it look. Flow is solid. It's cool that a top players laughing and smiling while playing pinball then says it's not fun. As an average player it looks like a blast. Thanks for sharing.

#4683 1 year ago

So the ball times are long? That’s a 16 min video of the second half of a game.

And for a kids theme, that guy sure dropped a whole arsenal of F and A bombs. I’m going to go wash my ears now.

#4684 1 year ago
Quoted from Vernisious:

Nice video! Looks like he and others watching are having a blast. Jump ramp is butter and not as easy as he makes it look. Flow is solid. It's cool that a top players laughing and smiling while playing pinball then says it's not fun. As an average player it looks like a blast. Thanks for sharing.

I thought that this was strange too. It looked like he had an absolute blast playing the game. It does look like a lot of fun.

#4685 1 year ago
Quoted from rob3:

I've owned Wonka and I have about 30 plays on TS4. IMO this is a better Wonka, by a long shot. I'd call it a Wonka+ vs. Wonka Lite.

Genuinely interested, why? I am heavily Wonka biased and think it is one of the best pins ever. Without playing it, TS4 looks like a Wonka lite to me ... but I need to play it. To those that doubt Lawlor, well, we all are entitled to our opinions, even if you are wrong

#4686 1 year ago
Quoted from seenev:

Who cares about how he talks, how old he is or how well he play pinball ??
His job is to design pinballs and he is beyond amazing at it, the man is a legend and I wish I had half of his skills and brains by the time I reach his age.

You might not like his latest creation, I don't either, but I would surely not go attack him on his age, it's shameful.

#4687 1 year ago
Quoted from snaroff:

It's pathetic that a mainstream pinball company in JJP's position (making premium games) can't engineer perky flippers that don't fade. WTF?

Which pinball company can? They ALL have the problem, because physics. Electrical resistance is a thing.

Stern comes the closest to managing (note MANAGING) the flipper coil heat because they had the foresight to include hardware in their Spike2 design that could do microsecond duty cycles (while all other manufacturers are stuck with relatively gigantic 1ms minimums), so in hold they gain almost no heat, no matter how long you hold the button in. Flips are still a problem and will still build enough heat to fade over time, even on a Stern. But Stern is doing the MOST to manage flipper coil heat and they still have fade, so not sure what your point is here.

All that said, JJP has a new driver board debuting on Toy Story 4, and it's supposed to address the excessive clipper coil heat of prior machines. Very excited to check it out and see if they are able to do microsecond pulses now. I'll be temp testing and checking duty cycles for sure.

EDIT: Boo. Just saw the post that said one on location the poster played was fading, so looks like it's still an issue. I guess now a temperature progression chart will be the important point of comparison to see if the new board at least delays fade onset and reduces severity.

#4688 1 year ago

A great kids game for sure. Long ball times. Looks like fun to flip but not to own. Can’t wait to play it.

#4689 1 year ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Broke ass hoes

I hate it when that happens.

broke-asss-hoe (resized).jpgbroke-asss-hoe (resized).jpg

#4690 1 year ago
Quoted from Hoss_Coog:

I posted this in the Toy Story Are you in or out thread.
We waited several years for Toy Story and we were expecting the equivalent of a first generation Ford Mustang with a high output V8. What we got was a Ford Mustang II that was built on the Ford Pinto platform with a low output 4 cylinder.
Yeah, it's a Mustang, but it's not the iconic Mustang that we all wanted, expected, and are passionate about.

Yet some are stilling shouting—“ITS GOT RACK AND PINION AND IT’S BETTER ON GAS!”

It’s these fine examples of humanity that keeps me riveted!!

This pin- no, this pin company is like watching a car wreck. Guilty pleasure. No hate, no love, no emotion at all.

Except the scalpers…

#4691 1 year ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Forgot to add, that the flippers felt like your standard slightly mushy, slightly weak JJP flippers.
They felt the same as other JJPs, and they definitely faded over the course of the night.

Boo. I was really hoping JJP actually was managing flippers better with the new driver board. Bummer to hear this. Who will be the first manufacturer to join Stern Spike2 with microsecond duty cycle abilities for flippers? They're ALL going to have to move to it eventually.

#4692 1 year ago

Go to you tube for Helicon brewing stream.

Looks like a lot of fun. One guy has a big game but couldn’t complete forky combo

They like it better than Wonka and “rivals DI as Pat’s best game”

#4693 1 year ago

Seemed a little underwhelming.. neat light show I guess.

#4694 1 year ago
Quoted from Vernisious:

The haters are hilarious broke hoes.

If i just threw away money on rubbish then i wouldn't be loaded like i am now ! TS4 is pocket money but it all adds up

#4695 1 year ago
Quoted from naf_llabnip:

Genuinely interested, why? I am heavily Wonka biased and think it is one of the best pins ever. Without playing it, TS4 looks like a Wonka lite to me ... but I need to play it. To those that doubt Lawlor, well, we all are entitled to our opinions, even if you are wrong

Yeah, based on looks it's Wonka lite. Based on playing it I'd call it a next gen Wonka.

#4696 1 year ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Yes! The kaboom jump shot through two benson posts through a hoop of amazing LED’s and shaker craziness is really great. Ripping the woody spinner is really satisfying even though it is immediately stopped and dropped. The save Forky combo is incredibly satisfying.
It’s full of easy shots (left ramp, Buzz pop area) but there are some really hard shots as well (road trip lock and believe it or not, the very narrow scoop).

I bet it was great. Unfortunately, on location after a lot of play, NO ONE was able to make the shot all night due to weak flippers. People said it was working earlier in the day but I didn't see a single person make it through the ring of lights—I took about a dozen shots and it just didn't have the gas to make it all the way. Soon, I just gave up and avoided the shot but that really cripples the enjoyment of the game—and your points I'm guessing.

Not that this is success metric for JJP but for tournaments it's probably to long playing. However, if early players have an advantage because they can make the ramp but players in later rounds can't that will definitely keep this from competition play altogether.

Toy Story has some things going for it but they may need to include flipper fans or redesign the flippers overall. I can see how this might not have come up in testing as you have to play it hard for a few hours first. They probably need to change their QA process as well so they can catch these issues before the product is released.

#4697 1 year ago

So I spoke with someone at Pixar and I guess the license to get the Cake Toppers was pretty expensive lmao
I really hope some operators get this game near me, cause I definitely want to play the game. The Five dollar bill is burning a hole in my pocket. Really good value in terms of a return on my investment with 16min ball times.

The only reason people are bashing the game is that it did not live up to the hype. No-one is saying they will not play the game, I am sure it is a lot of fun. All we are saying is that we do not need to spend 12 or 15k to enjoy it =)

I looked at my GNR CE today and it is truly a masterpiece even with the game turned off. Probably one of the most beautiful machines ever and well thought out. Playfield issues or not, 15K for a true piece of art =)

The people at Jersey Jack said that they worked hand in hand with Disney/Pixar, but they did not say with "who". Definitely not someone like Slash!

#4698 1 year ago
Quoted from coop:

I bet it was great. Unfortunately, on location after a lot of play, NO ONE was able to make the shot all night due to weak flippers. People said it was working earlier in the day but I didn't see a single person make it through the ring of lights—I took about a dozen shots and it just didn't have the gas to make it all the way. Soon, I just gave up and avoided the shot but that really cripples the enjoyment of the game—and your points I'm guessing.
Toy Story has some things going for it but they may need to include flipper fans or redesign the flippers overall. I can see how this might not have come up in testing as you have to play it hard for a few hours first. They probably need to change their QA process as well so they can catch these issues before the product is released.

There's nothing to "catch." Electrical resistance in the coil increases as heat advances, so the same amount of power does less work over time. Increasing the power once it starts fading just makes the problem worse because more power is more heat which creates more resistance. The only way to address it (and this is the same for every manufacturer) is to:
Stop playing and let the coils cool down, or...
Cool the coils actively externally, or...
Provide less power to the coils.
Less power isn't sexy or desirable for play, but by just changing the duty cycle, you can give it less power in hold and cut a ton off the heat over time, especially with trap players. BUT only Stern has the hardware to support a sub-1ms duty cycle at the moment. All of them will eventually end up going this way in the future.

I have a JJP specific version of the Tibetan Breeze flipper cooling kit that's testing right now that should fit ALL JJP machines, not just GnR. I've been working on it since last summer, going through a bunch of iterations that didn't work out for one reason or another. The problem with JJP for external fan brackets is they have super-tight clearances on flipper plates in all their machines, so for some it's just impossible to mount the brackets I designed years ago where they need to go for best cooling. Hopefully I'll have the word that this recent (final?) design works in all the JJP machines in the next couple weeks. If that's the case, I'll be able to ship a kit that works for all JJP machines by Aug. And, if the existing GnR-type brackets work for Toy Story 4, even sooner for Toy Story 4.

#4699 1 year ago

(Full Disclosure) - I did not speak with someone at Pixar

#4700 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

There's nothing to "catch." Electrical resistance in the coil increases as heat advances, so the same amount of power does less work. Increasing the power once it starts fading just makes the problem worse because more power is more heat which creates more resistance. The only way to address it (and this is the same for every manufacturer) is to cool the coils externally or provide less power. Less power isn't sexy, but by just changing the duty cycle, you can give it less power in hold and cut a ton off the heat, especially with trap players. BUT only Stern has the hardware to support a sub-1ms duty cycle at the moment. All of them will eventually end up going this way in the future.
I have a JJP specific version of the Tibetan Breeze flipper cooling kit that's testing right now that should fit ALL JJP machines, not just GnR. I've been working on it since last summer. The problem with JJP for external fan brackets is they have super-tight clearances on flipper plates in all their machines, so for some it's just impossible to mount the brackets I designed years ago. Hopefully I'll have the word that it works in all the JJP machines in the next couple weeks. If that's the case, I'll be able to ship a kit that works for all JJP by Aug. And, if the GnR brackets work for Toy Story 4, even sooner for Toy Story 4.

Yep it looks like there's plenty of room under TS4 palyfield to fit these brackets

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 299.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Eville Pinball

$ 18.50
Playfield - Decals
Lermods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11,500.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Kennebunkport, ME
$ 35.00
$ 16.95
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 649.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Contact
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 6,049 posts in this topic. You are on page 94 of 121.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-toy-story/page/94?hl=manadams and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.