(Topic ID: 290919)

JJP Toy Story (any rumor confirmations?)

By Trojanlaw

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,986 posts
  • 659 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 days ago by zermeno68
  • Topic is favorited by 127 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

AC614DA1-F00B-4054-9170-C4D1150B344E (resized).jpeg
IMG_2068 (resized).JPG
IMG_2067 (resized).JPG
72EC51DA-CB1D-4978-8995-03B6B558B128.gif
IMG_3625 (resized).jpeg
224F7BE6-01B8-447C-A998-C3554FBB37C8 (resized).jpeg
GabbyFacemask.jpg
ken_doll_meet_bensons_dummies_by_noureldeinm2003_df7k99y-350t (resized).jpg
86234446-23FA-456B-AC4A-4CF71F767F09 (resized).jpeg
090C9D93-1C0E-4270-A892-121040E8D562 (resized).jpeg
435E7D06-9C0D-4553-AEA9-BE1CE86855F7 (resized).jpeg
6B64B962-6BD0-422D-9BE2-249F80844320 (resized).jpeg
7CBACD5F-A487-4F5E-A9F2-593649FDCD98 (resized).jpeg
AB374773-1B6A-44D9-9D32-700496F69930 (resized).jpeg
Schermafbeelding 2022-07-19 193844 (resized).jpg
giphy (5).gif

There are 5,986 posts in this topic. You are on page 69 of 120.
#3401 59 days ago
Quoted from yancy:

Rubs me the wrong way when a software feature that could be included in all models is purposely held out of the cheaper model, especially when "cheap" in this case is 12 freaking grand. It's actually more work for them NOT to include it; now they have to maintain separate callout code for each model.

This is a complete 180 from where honest Jack once started out with his amazing vision. Unfortunately involving investors end up changing all of those once glorious larger than life plans. I believe that he meant it all but that ship has sailed I'm afraid. If there is not a serious downturn in sales, this trend will continue. Good for them but not for me.

#3402 59 days ago
Quoted from dnaman:

This is a complete 180 from where honest Jack once started out with his amazing vision. Unfortunately involving investors end up changing all of those once glorious bigger than life plans. I believe that he meant it all but that ship has sailed I'm afraid. If there is not a serious downturn in sales, this trend will continue. Good for them but not for me.

Speaking of....not even a golf swing for this or GnR from Jack of Jersey Jack Pinball.

I really wish I was around for the first half of JJP, more so than this latter half. They certainly had fledgling steps, but the effort and earnestness felt there.

#3403 59 days ago
Quoted from Amused_to_Death:

"Hey, kids, wanna go to Disney World or stay home and play some more pinball?" Good luck with that one!
I live only 10 minutes away, my family has Annual Passes, and I'd still lose this bet.

Oh I get it. I live in Omaha, Nebraska and have annual passes. Doubt it will work, but worth a shot. Speaking of that, went to Dezerland(can’t remember how to spell it) when I was in Orlando last month. Pretty decent collection of pins there. Was able to play a bunch of things that aren’t on location anywhere close to Nebraska.

#3404 59 days ago

Oh, and I'm in for a CE if some of the Annie Potts callouts are from Designing Women.

#3405 59 days ago
Quoted from Hollywoodbone:

Yeah I’m super interested to hear from other people that’s flipped it! Always great to hear other points of view!

Hi Greg
Have you had a chance to play TS4?If you did what were your first impressions?You may be repeating yourself but I didn’t want to drag myself thru the crap

#3406 59 days ago

Cost to value ratio is out of wack (even for a Disney license) I’d cough up an extra $2K to pay the Disney admission, but this is not a $10,000 machine to begin with. $8k + $2k... yes. $10k + $2k... no.

#3407 59 days ago
Quoted from OleSilverBalls:

Oh I get it. I live in Omaha, Nebraska and have annual passes. Doubt it will work, but worth a shot. Speaking of that, went to Dezerland(can’t remember how to spell it) when I was in Orlando last month. Pretty decent collection of pins there. Was able to play a bunch of things that aren’t on location anywhere close to Nebraska.

The Pinball Palace at Dezerland Park. Another good spot to check out here is the Pinball Lounge in Oviedo.

#3408 59 days ago

Glad to see the SDTM video turned some people around on the game. It made me considerably more excited.

#3409 59 days ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

How do you guys feel about the fact that the CE has a lot more Annie Potts callouts than the LE (was being told in the featurette video)? Because that is bothering me actually.

It should bother you as its fucking horse shit. They really couldn't differentiate the differences in the 2 games so they felt compelled to withhold some fucking audio clips that were already bought and pay for?

Not sure why I am surprised coming from a company who changed their warranty mid production.

#3410 59 days ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Oh, and I'm in for a CE if some of the Annie Potts callouts are from Designing Women.

Unfortunately Stern scooped the rights for Designing Women. Rumored to be the next Kapow release.

#3411 59 days ago
Quoted from yancy:

Rubs me the wrong way when a software feature that could be included in all models is purposely held out of the cheaper model, especially when "cheap" in this case is 12 freaking grand. It's actually more work for them NOT to include it; now they have to maintain separate callout code for each model.

No you don't - it's a simple flag/toggle idea. Simple conditional logic.

Features based on software or entitlement is nothing nefarious. We pay for what things are worth - not what they cost.

#3412 59 days ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

But no people. JJPs factory pics rarely show anybody working on anything - if they’re even in the picture. Always thought that was odd. Respecting the privacy of their line employees? Or really don’t have many people assembling?

It's hard to film when the environment is loud and disruptive.

Same reason auto youtuber's film when their shop is idle or isolated for filming.

#3413 59 days ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

No you don't - it's a simple flag/toggle idea. Simple conditional logic.

Yeah, you toggle the different callout code. It's work to write both flavors, and the toggle.

#3414 59 days ago
Quoted from romulusx:Hi Greg
Have you had a chance to play TS4?If you did what were your first impressions?You may be repeating yourself but I didn’t want to drag myself thru the crap

Got a little bit of the me on it but not enough. I thought it shot really good and the code seemed to be good. I wasn’t disappointed. We should be releasing a first impressions soon. Where we go into a little more detail about our thoughts. I won’t lie I don’t think that any of us expected Toy story 4! But the pin to me felt really good. I guess I got lost somewhere where that something jampacked with toys was what equated to a great pinball machine. I loved Star Wars. People got mad at it because I didn’t have anything. I owned the pro it really didn’t have anything. But it’s one of my favorite pins. I don’t focus on what’s in a pin. I care if the shots are good the code is good and it’s fun.

#3415 59 days ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Cake toppers
[quoted image][quoted image]

The crazy part is those are about $2/set (plus shipping) in the kind of quantities JJP would order.

#3416 59 days ago
Quoted from yancy:

Yeah, you toggle the different callout code. It's work to write both flavors, and the toggle.

You're talking one additional check and then simply applying to which media file you load (if at all). Non-issue. It's a construct used everywhere and not seen as additional burden. The work is in the testing. Which you are doing anyways and the decision to have different game editions in the first place drove the increase.

Nothing to see here...

#3417 59 days ago

I'm saying it's more work. Seems like you agree. But in typical Flynn fashion, you found a way to disagreeably agree.

#3418 59 days ago

My thoughts on the matter...I think it's a missed opportunity.

That being said, I do admit that it does look fun. But is it worth the price tag and only having the fourth film? Only time will tell.

#3419 59 days ago
Quoted from mrSATURN2012:

My thoughts on the matter...

It's a text-based forum, type your opinions. I ain't watchin' that.

#3420 59 days ago
Quoted from yancy:

I'm saying it's more work. Seems like you agree. But in typical Flynn fashion, you found a way to disagreeably agree.

It's no additional burden to implement. "It's a construct used everywhere and not seen as additional burden"

By your logic "using the toy story 4 name is more work because they had to use two more characters than if they just say 'toy story'" -- Technically correct, but practically meaningless.

#3421 59 days ago

If you bought a CE today, you’ve already made money.

0CDB3CD9-1A9E-4054-80BF-D1779252B24D.jpeg
#3422 59 days ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Not unless you sold it. To someone silly enough to pay a premium for it.

#3423 59 days ago

K-man says it is too early to call TS4 a complete failure. Hahahaha.

#3424 59 days ago
Quoted from jfh:

Not unless you sold it. To someone silly enough to pay a premium for it.

There are plenty who will pay that. And more.

#3425 59 days ago
ECF29487-4FA7-4793-BBD2-A92B6B1A9F75 (resized).jpeg
#3426 59 days ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Waiting for a review from someone just watching the same videos you can watch?

He is good at catching a lot from reviewing videos of game play. But no, I meant his review after playing it. The guy was looking for a non-biased opinion and I think Cary would give that. Especially since he's not tied to Stern or JJP.

#3427 59 days ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

It's no additional burden to implement.

You don't think it's work to decide which callouts to implement in which version, which ones you can get away with omitting, which ones feel "extra," then updating two different sets of callouts when rules change, or changing your mind and realizing, "oh, we really need callout X in both versions," etc.?

Have you ever worked on any kind of creative project before?

#3428 59 days ago

At 12k for a non loaded game…maybe there are a bunch of 5 day park hoppers in the coin box?

#3429 59 days ago

I'm watching TS4 now, it's not great. Sure the video/graphics are outstanding but the story/characters are bad.

#3430 59 days ago

No Good Gophers meets Willy Wonka with the upper sides of the playfield reversed. Add to it the Disney license surcharge and all the hype. At this point it looks like the actual product falls short.

#3431 59 days ago

All the MOANority going at it on Pinside and FB. Watching grown adults behave worse then entitled children is extremely funny.

Meanwhile.. To all the people that are excited about the game.. Please share all your experiences, my wife and I would love to see it.

#3432 59 days ago

[quoted image]

Yeah if you find a sucker to pay more than $15k. Maybe find someone who paid $25l for Pirates.

#3433 59 days ago
Quoted from yancy:

You don't think it's work to decide which callouts to implement in which version, which ones you can get away with omitting, which ones feel "extra," then updating two different sets of callouts when rules change, or changing your mind and realizing, "oh, we really need callout X in both versions," etc.?
Have you ever worked on any kind of creative project before?

How's your back after carrying those goalposts so far?

The topic was a simple audio call omission difference between versions.

This implementation is trivial. No Product Owner would tell his marketing team "No I won't give you this feature that will drive hundreds in thousands in revenue because it requires me to add a conditional on my media playout line". This is comically obtuse.

My god.. you must think randomization takes an army of coders! I could teach your mother to add this feature to an existing codebase.

And yes, I do this work and these decisions for real driving millions a month in revenue on my product alone.

#3434 59 days ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

It's hard to film when the environment is loud and disruptive.
Same reason auto youtuber's film when their shop is idle or isolated for filming.

Pictures. Not video. Audio not an issue.

Every picture I’ve seen of the JJP line for years now is the same, maybe one guy working if any.

#3435 59 days ago

[quoted image]

I had three distributors call me today to see if I wanted a CE.

I understand the hype train but something smells funny on this release.

#3436 59 days ago
Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

There are plenty who will pay that. And more.

Then they are stupid and deserve to waste their money.

#3437 59 days ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

It's no additional burden to implement. "It's a construct used everywhere and not seen as additional burden"
By your logic "using the toy story 4 name is more work because they had to use two more characters than if they just say 'toy story'" -- Technically correct, but practically meaningless.

It really isnt that deep. They couldn't be bothered to come up with an actual differentiator, so they pulled out callouts. Lazy, and cheap.

#3438 59 days ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

I had three distributors call me today to see if I wanted a CE.
I understand the hype train but something smells funny on this release.

Disney fudged the numbers on Star Wars so why not fudge these numbers. If stern released this you JJP fan boys would be hating on this.

#3439 59 days ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The crazy part is those are about $2/set (plush shipping) in the kind of quantities JJP would order.

Bbbbbbut the supply chain!!! What if the container with cake toppers from China won’t make it over the Pacific in time!!!!! That’s a business opportunity. Buy a few thousand and then blackmail JJP if the shit hits the fan.

#3440 59 days ago

The big issue is that JJP was MUCH better off having a Toy Story pin, and NOT the Toy Story 4 themed pin.

What people wanted was the original Toy Story music, character spotlights, - AND MODES. Sid bash toy anyone? The Claw (if not mechanical you know JJP could at least have a back glass video mode where you collected aliens from shots on the PF, a Pizza Planet upper playfield, escaping Sid's house, getting home from Pizza Planet, etc. etc. It would, and should, have been a slam dunk.

Honesty, this game is just Meh. It will sell OK because it's at least Toy Story themed. I bet that most people that like Toy Story didn't even watch Toy Story 4.

I can't think of anyone that would RATHER have Toy Story 4 instead of the original Toy Story! And the outrageous price tag is keeping what otherwise should be a great day for JJP into a dud.

I've always wanted to get a WOZLE or WOZRR. The more I see from todays JJP makes me think I should look there for a JJP and not here.

And don't get me started on the PF issues....if this game has that problem too God help them.

#3441 59 days ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

It's creative work. You assumed I was referring only to code when I said "work." I don't care if the code writes itself, you have to choreograph the game.

You know how in TAF the Seance mode rule is "shoot three ramps?" You know how it's way more fun than "shoot three ramps" because the music, callouts, display, and knocker all work together to make it feel cool? That's challenging, underappreciated work. Discount it all you like.

#3442 59 days ago

If you pay for a opportunity to buy a CE from a flipper seek help

#3443 59 days ago
Quoted from galore2112:

Bbbbbbut the supply chain!!! What if the container with cake toppers from China won’t make it over the Pacific in time!!!!! That’s a business opportunity. Buy a few thousand and then blackmail JJP if the shit hits the fan.

Haha, "plush shipping"- I really should READ what my fingers put out before I hit "send post." That clearly should have been "plus shipping."

#3444 59 days ago
763C4E1C-B106-43E2-A791-8E2182DEB8C3 (resized).jpeg
#3445 59 days ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

All the MOANority going at it on Pinside and FB. Watching grown adults behave worse then entitled children is extremely funny.
Meanwhile.. To all the people that are excited about the game.. Please share all your experiences, my wife and I would love to see it.

The sound design seems atrocious, but I'm excited to flip it. However, I'm MOST excited to check out the redesigned driver board. I understand if that revelation causes you to want to slowly back away from me.

#3446 59 days ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Glad to see the SDTM video turned some people around on the game. It made me considerably more excited.

Did you watch the JJP Gameplay video? That drove me from “not buying” to “never wanting to even play it”. The sound FX are horrid and extremely annoying. The bell ringing spinner sound will make people smash this game. They’ve learned nothing about sound design since WOZ’s shitty DING DING DINGs. High pitched bells are ANNOYING.

#3447 59 days ago
36A675A2-8081-4F0C-82C3-598EC4F84D2D (resized).jpeg
#3448 59 days ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The sound design seems atrocious, but I'm excited to flip it. But, I'm MOST excited to check out the redesigned driver board, but I understand if you want to slowly step away from me with that revelation.

Ha ha! I am excited to see the redesigned electronics and flip the game too. I like the game, Carnival theme and all. Looks like we are in the minority for now.

#3449 59 days ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Did you watch the JJP Gameplay video? That drove me from “not buying” to “never wanting to even play it”. The sound FX are horrid and extremely annoying. The bell ringing spinner sound will make people smash this game. They’ve learned nothing about sound design since WOZ’s shitty DING DING DINGs. High pitched bells are ANNOYING.

Wonder how many dogs will freak out in households across the country when owners start playing their games...

#3450 59 days ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The question was, is it more work?

The answer is yes.

The amount of additional work was not a topic, but you're so damned insistent on never admitting you're wrong you just can't accept that, so here comes the paragraphs of BS.

Yup, typical.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
14,000 (OBO)
Machine - Pre-order Spot
New York, NY
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
14,000 (Firm)
Machine - Pre-order Spot
Usa, US
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 23.00
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
There are 5,986 posts in this topic. You are on page 69 of 120.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!