(Topic ID: 290919)

JJP Toy Story (any rumor confirmations?)

By Trojanlaw

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,049 posts
  • 661 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by Chris25810
  • Topic is favorited by 93 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

49E1AA8F-FA29-4F4D-B1BC-1F5A44288A70.jpeg
9A992D2B-FA2B-40FC-AC43-58772CB9538B (resized).jpeg
AC614DA1-F00B-4054-9170-C4D1150B344E (resized).jpeg
IMG_2068 (resized).JPG
IMG_2067 (resized).JPG
72EC51DA-CB1D-4978-8995-03B6B558B128.gif
IMG_3625 (resized).jpeg
224F7BE6-01B8-447C-A998-C3554FBB37C8 (resized).jpeg
GabbyFacemask.jpg
ken_doll_meet_bensons_dummies_by_noureldeinm2003_df7k99y-350t (resized).jpg
86234446-23FA-456B-AC4A-4CF71F767F09 (resized).jpeg
090C9D93-1C0E-4270-A892-121040E8D562 (resized).jpeg
435E7D06-9C0D-4553-AEA9-BE1CE86855F7 (resized).jpeg
6B64B962-6BD0-422D-9BE2-249F80844320 (resized).jpeg
7CBACD5F-A487-4F5E-A9F2-593649FDCD98 (resized).jpeg
AB374773-1B6A-44D9-9D32-700496F69930 (resized).jpeg
There are 6,049 posts in this topic. You are on page 68 of 121.
#3351 1 year ago
Quoted from wesman:

This back and forth digital slapfest is more compelling than the digital slapfest JJP showed today..!

Quoted from PinMonk:

I hope this means they have redesigned the driver board and are using a circuit that can do sub-millisecond duty cycles so flipper holds are finally competitive with Spike's magical system. Did you get a look at the electronics?
And censor...CENSOR.

Damn you speaking all this sophisticated technical information!!! I did not not get a look at the boards or anything ha ha!

#3352 1 year ago
Quoted from astro_judge:

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant when I said casual players drop money into whatever happens to line up with their interests. I was trying to say that I don't think the presence of a specific theme like Toy Story vs. Godzilla would affect the type of crowd the venue draws like sataneatscheese mentioned with the Birthday Parties vs. Beer argument.

They are related - but it's not the right sequence of things.

Obviously we pick what themes we put at a venue based on what the venue is, the clientel, and what we are trying to attract.

If I'm at a bounce house place.. yes, the owner may want a Toy Story over a Walking Dead. But putting a Toy Story at a dive bar is not going to make it into a kid's party spot.

Theme is very important to attracting players. Putting the right equipment in the right venue is also dependent on the venue's aspects as well.

#3353 1 year ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Toy Story 4 Pinball Featurette (Jersey Jack Pinball, 2022)
An in-depth look into Jersey Jack Pinball's newest pinball machine release: Disney-Pixar's Toy Story 4
Hear about the game's creation from Toy Story 4 pinball designer Pat Lawlor, programmer Joe Katz, and marketer Ken Cromwell. They discuss working with Disney-Pixar, new technologies, and key features of this instant-classic pinball machine.
Join Woody, Buzz Lightyear, and Bo Peep into the world of Toy Story, under glass.

The video clearly makes for more excitement.
You gotta respect the team and pat's dedication, him allmost breaking up with emotion at the end.
Hat's of.

#3354 1 year ago

Here to remind the NON-haters that it still has mirco garbage playfields. So it's still garbage.

#3355 1 year ago

Bit of a broken record here, but I will add my thoughts/opinions - why not lol.

License is a bummer- would have been much better if it was based on TS 1 (with maybe some of the sequels as well). However, it looks to me like the TS4 license is integrated very well (still more to see, but looks impressive from what I've seen).

Game feels really overpriced. I know inflation and supply chain issues and whatnot, but just so sad to compare all the mechs and such in Dialed In LE or JJP POTC LE for 9k and 9.5k versus 12k for TS4LE. It feels like JJP keeps adding less to their games and charging more.

Gameplay - it looks fun to shoot, and being a Lawlor design will probably shoot beautifully.

In the SDTM video, Pat made comments about this being the most technologically advanced game ever, but I don't really see much difference from where JJP started (although their display animations have become top notch and gotten much better since WoZ). Let's see some more cool and innovative mechs!

Looking forward to playing this one, but definitely not a buyer.

#3356 1 year ago
Quoted from yancy:

That's actually a really clever workaround for janky flippers. Progress.

I did this on Oktoberfest, raised power on right flipper when the ramp is down. Although was not so much about making the ramp, as not having the flippers be so hot that the scoop shot becomes deadly (although we subsequently re-designed the scoop). Obviously over powering flippers will lead to heat and flipper fade.

#3357 1 year ago

This is what manufacturing is supposed to look like. Games and parts and tools everywhere. JJP is getting it done.

A7AA05F3-3D65-467F-BA88-D82E72DD7E16.jpegA7AA05F3-3D65-467F-BA88-D82E72DD7E16.jpeg
#3358 1 year ago
Quoted from kool1:

Kind of my point - even the same coins going into a $6900 Godzilla Pro. Much better return.
I don't think TS4 will draw in more money. I would argue less.

If your point was TS isn't going to earn - that's your opinion and speculation you are free to.

But your post was that the game cost was the issue itself - and that alone isn't what moves the needle. COIN DROP drives behavior - not equipment up-front costs. Something hobbyists struggle to grasp.

Initial Costs are largely offset by residual value. A category that JJP games in particular have done very well in.

Know what kills a game more than initial costs? Parts and downtime - because THEY LIMIT COIN DROP and drive up costs that will never be recovered in resale.

#3359 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

Are they purposely including annoying effects in Pat's games? That spinner bell is really cringe worthy. It's prob the worst part of Wonka's very poor sound and they now are using it for a spinner shot?

That did jump out at me, too. Really annoying sound effects and kinda meh music. Also, the hotrails light integration/lightshow is pretty generic. Maybe I've just been spoiled by GnR, but I expected more when it was clear late last night that hotrails were in there.

#3360 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

This is what manufacturing is supposed to look like. Games and parts, boxes of cake toppers and tools everywhere. JJP is getting it done.
[quoted image]

Fixed.

#3361 1 year ago
Quoted from Hollywoodbone:

Damn you speaking all this sophisticated technical information!!! I did not not get a look at the boards or anything ha ha!

Greg taking a look at the boards...

confused-no.gifconfused-no.gif
#3362 1 year ago

Gosh the huge playfield lcd looks so weird and out of place the way its in there.... it was not necessary to make it that dang big....

#3363 1 year ago

I’m going to have to stop by my bakery and pickup some alternate cake toys.

#3364 1 year ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

you will get about the same amount of gameplay fun for nearly half the money in a game like Godzilla or Stranger things, and it’s not like half of a dollar here when I say nearly half, we’re talking $5,000 between the two games.

THIS ^^^

It is the big problem here, game value. When you are up against games like Godzilla or Deadpool, you really need to do something special. I don't see it here yet. And even if I did... 12k would stop me from seeing it.

I was watching some gameplay of TS4, and it doesn't seem too bad. I don't care for the florescent lighting colors, but I'm a grumpy old man, so that is what it is.

#3365 1 year ago
Quoted from rosh:

I did this on Oktoberfest, raised power on right flipper when the ramp is down. Although was not so much about making the ramp, as not having the flippers be so hot that the scoop shot becomes deadly (although we subsequently re-designed the scoop). Obviously over powering flippers will lead to heat and flipper fade.

Are more Oktoberfests on the line? Waiting for a deluxe. TY!

#3366 1 year ago
Quoted from rosh:

Obviously over powering flippers will lead to heat and flipper fade.

Just powering the flippers will eventually lead to fade if you play long enough. Overpowering just gets there faster. Stern is the only one managing flippers right currently by doing microsecond duty cycles no one else can due to hardware limitations of P-ROC and custom boards that can only do millisecond duty cycles.

#3367 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

Are they purposely including annoying effects in Pat's games? That spinner bell is really cringe worthy. It's prob the worst part of Wonka's very poor sound and they now are using it for a spinner shot? A few others - very slot machine heavy. Damn.

Beat me to it...that ringing sound FX from the spinner will drive people to MURDER. Horrible. JJP has had annoying sound FX since WOZ. The "ding ding dings" of the targets pretty much led me to cancel my order lol. Their best sound package was Hobbit - David Thiel, of course. Since he left, the guy they're using is an app/slot machine guy, and you can tell. Oooppph.

#3368 1 year ago

Cake toppers

Screenshot_20220614-165331_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220614-165331_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220614-165454_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220614-165454_Facebook (resized).jpg

#3369 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

Are they purposely including annoying effects in Pat's games? That spinner bell is really cringe worthy. It's prob the worst part of Wonka's very poor sound and they now are using it for a spinner shot? A few others - very slot machine heavy. Damn.
Game seems very straight forward to shoot. Tom's brother really does sound like his brother, def not Tom although it's better than nothing. Tim sounds like I would expect - bored but it's tim's voice so still a plus. Jump ramp doesn't or look feel nearly as epic as NGG considering it just goes right in regardless.
EDIT - is there only one magnet (in the back right) or are there more?

I kinda felt the same way. Their recent soundscapes feel overwhelming and collide/cut off into each other like an insta headache for a dollar. (I greatly miss David Thiel's more balanced approach sound design wise.)

I liked the older approach too, where things were more grid based for the GUI, and clips were slightly less blasting in your face.

This approach definitely is for kid's frenetic attention spans, but how many will play in a home or on site?

#3370 1 year ago
Quoted from Code_Blue:

You have 3 young kids and haven't figured out they they get more enjoyment out of angry birds on mom's iphone than a $15k pin they may play twice?

Hey, if that machine saves me even 1 trip to DisneyWorld, it will pay for itself.

#3372 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Just powering the flippers will eventually lead to fade if you play long enough. Overpowering just gets there faster. Stern is the only one managing flippers right currently by doing microsecond duty cycles no one else can due to hardware limitations of P-ROC and custom boards that can only do millisecond duty cycles.

Are the add-on cooling fans helping? I've been wanting to try that approach.

My GBLE has flipper fatigue as well as my HWCE. It is very noticeable with my GB and yet it is a Spike system. Thoughts?

#3373 1 year ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Chinese made cake toppers
[quoted image][quoted image]

Wow, maybe the first time that I agree with Kaneda. To be fair I only heard his ramblings about POTC and I clearly did not agree but this... we're onside.

#3374 1 year ago

I'm just happiest today that you're confirming that the nasty Youtube rumor is false Greg!

AIDS free is always the best way to be..! (Also, significantly cheaper than this new pin!)

#3375 1 year ago
Quoted from dnaman:

Are the add-on cooling fans helping? I've been wanting to try that approach.
My GBLE has flipper fatigue as well as my HWCE. It is very noticeable with my GB and yet it is a Spike system. Thoughts?

They absolutely work. I've been offering them for over 2 years (starting with Stranger Things). I had to move to a higher CFM fan sometime after the first year for really tough jobs like Rick and Morty and JJP GnR, but since then it's been stable except for design changes I've made to cut noise. On the Tibetan Breeze product page here and on pinmonk.com there's a longer explanation with a link to a demonstration experiment to understand electrical resistance which is the core of the problem.

#3376 1 year ago
Quoted from dnaman:

Wow, maybe the first time that I agree with Kaneda. To be fair I only heard his ramblings about POTC and I clearly did not agree but this... we're onside.

Right down to the stands they come with attaching to frosting or fondent

#3377 1 year ago

The potential board change JJP is supposed to be doing (has done?) is the most exciting thing to me. IF they redesigned the flipper circuit to allow duty cycles below 1ms, it will help JJPs heat problems A LOT and make them more competitive with Stern's Spike system, which is currently the industry leader for flipper coil heat management.

#3378 1 year ago
Quoted from OleSilverBalls:

Hey, if that machine saves me even 1 trip to DisneyWorld, it will pay for itself.

"Hey, kids, wanna go to Disney World or stay home and play some more pinball?" Good luck with that one!

I live only 10 minutes away, my family has Annual Passes, and I'd still lose this bet.

#3379 1 year ago
Quoted from wesman:

I'm just happiest today that you're confirming that the nasty Youtube rumor is false Greg!
AIDS free is always the best way to be..! (Also, significantly cheaper than this new pin!)

I’m at a loss for words ha ha

#3380 1 year ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Greg, i genuinely think you're a nice man. I met you once years ago and you were very pleasant. So don't take this personally:
Currently, right this very moment, I'm debating on buying a jjp gnr le. I searched YouTube and saw your review. But now, i have to weigh if this review is actually genuine or not before i spend thousands and thousands of dollars. Being a reviewer to sell machines, I get, as Zach is trying to make a living. I, however, wish to find a non biased opinion on the machine and couldnt find anything but your guy's review. Granted there are some here, but we all know we hype up the games we own here.
You see where I'm coming from, surely. If you praise absolutely everything to make sales, that doesnt give me the assurance that im making a sound decision, considering I know nowhere that i can play this for myself.
I'm just wishing for a truly geniune non biased review. And.... well... as enertaining and informative as your videos may be, I dont feel you guys have anyone's ingerest at heart when it comes to this.
Im not asking you to crap on everything. Far from it. But if a game blows, it would be refreshing for you to give it somehing less than a B for a change. So keep this in mind when reviewing this game. Please.

Wait for Cary Hardy to review it. He won't pull any punches.

#3381 1 year ago
Quoted from wesman:

Sidepoint, isn't it ironic, and sad, that Pat's first PINBALL game had possibly the best "second screen" usage via Banzai Run, and possibly his last involves a shitty iPad?

This is so funny I seriously laughed out loud and I have never even seen a Banzi Run! You are a funny dude!!

#3382 1 year ago

How do you guys feel about the fact that the CE has a lot more Annie Potts callouts than the LE (was being told in the featurette video)? Because that is bothering me actually. My thoughts are that the games should be the same especially because the CE's are limited.

Also someone here in this thread said they deliberately programmed flipper lag into the Tiki pinball game on the 10 inch screen. Now I do know how difficult it is to get no lag on a virtual pin even with good hardware so I would call that a bit of BS actually. And not nice to play when it has lag in the flippers. Thoughts?

#3383 1 year ago

Finally watched the featurette. Programmers seldom do well on camera, but I gotta say, Joe Katz was great. His enthusiasm is contagious. Sounds like a guy who truly loves his job, not just marketing spiel.

I'm not a theme zealot, so all I see is a game that looks fun to shoot. Can't wait to play it. Really hope they ironed out the flipper strength.

#3384 1 year ago
Quoted from jazc4:

Waiting for a review from someone just watching the same videos you can watch?

#3385 1 year ago
Quoted from jazc4:

Yeah I’m super interested to hear from other people that’s flipped it! Always great to hear other points of view!

#3386 1 year ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

How do you guys feel about the fact that the CE has a lot more Annie Potts callouts than the LE (was being told in the featurette video)? Because that is bothering me actually. My thoughts are that the games should be the same especially because the CE's are limited.
Also someone here in this thread said they deliberately programmed flipper lag into the Tiki pinball game on the 10 inch screen. Now I do know how difficult it is to get no lag on a virtual pin even with good hardware so I would call that a bit of BS actually. And not nice to play when it has lag in the flippers. Thoughts?

Just from the video it looked like the virtual flippers were very floaty

#3387 1 year ago

Just my 2 cents....
I miss the old JJP....

Machines that had fully loaded playfields. Machines that had lots of new technology "toys".

This playfield looks empty compared to my WOZECLE & POTCLE.

In today's pinball market, I can see JJP charging maybe $8.5k for the LE, but $12.5k?...that's a easy pass.

Toy Story 4 makes my CGC CCRLE look like a better bargain than I had expected.

#3388 1 year ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

Are more Oktoberfests on the line? Waiting for a deluxe. TY!

I no longer work there.

#3389 1 year ago
Quoted from rosh:

I no longer work there.

Wish you hadn't left....

#3390 1 year ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

How do you guys feel about the fact that the CE has a lot more Annie Potts callouts than the LE (was being told in the featurette video)?

Rubs me the wrong way when a software feature that could be included in all models is purposely held out of the cheaper model, especially when "cheap" in this case is 12 freaking grand. It's actually more work for them NOT to include it; now they have to maintain separate callout code for each model.

Quoted from ronaldvg:

Also someone here in this thread said they deliberately programmed flipper lag into the Tiki pinball game on the 10 inch screen.

I hope that was a joke. Virtual pinball is bad enough as-is.

#3391 1 year ago

Surprised we didn't find this sooner watch starting at 36:20. Pretty sure he was talking about JJP TS4.

#3392 1 year ago

And I believe Pat included a neat feature that senses when you are going to shoot for the ramp when it comes up and increases even more power on that left flipper so that you make the ramp with ease.

But what if I don't intend to shoot the ramp, and instead brick the shot I did aim for because suddenly the flipper power changed?

This is NOT a good idea, JJP just fix your shit so it works right to begin with.

#3393 1 year ago

I’m a buyer at 8.5 I agree easy pass with the inflated prices. It’s not superior to any of their other games to justify the cost.

Also what’s with all the talk about this game being for the casual non hard core every day person/family in Zach video. Far from the truth at this price point Pat.

Quoted from indypinhead:

Just my 2 cents....
I miss the old JJP....
Machines that had fully loaded playfields. Machines that had lots of new technology "toys".
This playfield looks empty compared to my WOZECLE & POTCLE.
In today's pinball market, I can see JJP charging maybe $8.5k for the LE, but $12.5k?...that's a easy pass.
Toy Story 4 makes my CGC CCRLE look like a better bargain than I had expected.

#3394 1 year ago

Really disappointed there is no standard model. I was hoping there would be a “pro” model so I could put one on location. $12,000 for an LE isn’t a viable option for my locations.

#3395 1 year ago
Quoted from metallik:

But what if I don't intend to shoot the ramp, and instead brick the shot I did aim for because suddenly the flipper power changed?
This is NOT a good idea, JJP just fix your shit so it works right to begin with.

Just shoot the damned ramp Larry!!

#3396 1 year ago

After watching STDM video I am much more positive in this. I do of course wish it was not a TS4 pin but saying that it looks pretty fun. I'll be open and looking to play. Wouldn't discount a potential buy in the future. Already considering a WoZ to go next to hobbit. We'll see. Price is high but that's not my call just my choice to buy or not.

#3397 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

This is what manufacturing is supposed to look like. Games and parts and tools everywhere. JJP is getting it done.
[quoted image]

But no people. JJPs factory pics rarely show anybody working on anything - if they’re even in the picture. Always thought that was odd. Respecting the privacy of their line employees? Or really don’t have many people assembling?

#3398 1 year ago

And it will…………….when we review it!!!!!!! That haven’t happened yet!

And this is why I am team Greg. I have watched all the SDTM videos multiple times. Greg calls it real. I often get a salesman feeling with Zach and his justifications of shortcomings, but still like his input. Greg is the one who always reigns Zach's comments to a reality I can handle. That is why they work so great together both as information and entertainment.

#3399 1 year ago

When Toy Story came out, what I enjoyed most is seeing some of the nostalgic toys come to life. The lack of toys in toy story pinball is strange.

#3400 1 year ago

Watching SDTM video now. Looks fun. I haven't seen Toy Story 4. Assume the majority is correct and it's worse than the others. But there are plenty of games I like with worse themes than TS4 so not a big deal to me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 16.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cherry Valley, CA
$ 299.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Eville Pinball

$ 11,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Machine - Pre-order Spot
St. Clair Shores, MI
14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Murrysville, PA
$ 11,500.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

Machine - For Sale
Bryn Athyn, PA
$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 18.50
Playfield - Decals
Lermods

$ 35.00
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

There are 6,049 posts in this topic. You are on page 68 of 121.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-toy-story/page/68?hl=mapalot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.