(Topic ID: 290919)

JJP Toy Story (any rumor confirmations?)

By Trojanlaw

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,049 posts
  • 661 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by Chris25810
  • Topic is favorited by 93 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

49E1AA8F-FA29-4F4D-B1BC-1F5A44288A70.jpeg
9A992D2B-FA2B-40FC-AC43-58772CB9538B (resized).jpeg
AC614DA1-F00B-4054-9170-C4D1150B344E (resized).jpeg
IMG_2068 (resized).JPG
IMG_2067 (resized).JPG
72EC51DA-CB1D-4978-8995-03B6B558B128.gif
IMG_3625 (resized).jpeg
224F7BE6-01B8-447C-A998-C3554FBB37C8 (resized).jpeg
GabbyFacemask.jpg
ken_doll_meet_bensons_dummies_by_noureldeinm2003_df7k99y-350t (resized).jpg
86234446-23FA-456B-AC4A-4CF71F767F09 (resized).jpeg
090C9D93-1C0E-4270-A892-121040E8D562 (resized).jpeg
435E7D06-9C0D-4553-AEA9-BE1CE86855F7 (resized).jpeg
6B64B962-6BD0-422D-9BE2-249F80844320 (resized).jpeg
7CBACD5F-A487-4F5E-A9F2-593649FDCD98 (resized).jpeg
AB374773-1B6A-44D9-9D32-700496F69930 (resized).jpeg

There are 6,049 posts in this topic. You are on page 64 of 121.
#3151 1 year ago

is it possible the video and pats "excitement" makes me want it less?

#3152 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Official JJP Employee insults potential customers who have valid critiques of a $15k product.

Not a good look, but to be fair, you've made it clear you are NOT a potential customer.

#3153 1 year ago

Ugh. Does anyone carer about Forky? Duke Kaboom? Gabby? Nope and Nope. I don't even think Disney themselves have them represented at Hollywood Studios.

#3154 1 year ago
Quoted from cait001:

I am also not a fan of scoops in general, but ESPECIALLY not in the center of the PF.

This! Center of JJPGNR is just a short dead end. That's where the cool stuff should be.

#3155 1 year ago

Video showed the ramp well though...but....unlike NGG, where you might not get the hole-in-one shot, as long as you hit the duke ramp, its impossible to not get the ball in the back hole. Its a ginormous "collection" area

#3156 1 year ago

Pat has left the building..... and no one cares.

Making a 15K toy for little kids, who will play it once or twice and not care ever again. BRILLIANT!!!!

Someone in the decision making process recently became a grandparent or a great grandparent and could only imagine their grands playing this with them.

Understandable but dumb decision.... but hey, they sold out...... so good for them. Maybe there'll be less money floating around for the next Stern release. Good for the rest of us.

#3157 1 year ago

I've never been so bored watching a pinball release video. I hate saying that. But 20+ minutes and all I can think is JJP needs new blood, someone like Elwin! Not convinced Ritchie is going to save them. Hope I'm wrong.

#3158 1 year ago

They really should have done a proper reveal and stream the gameplay before opening orders up. The fact that they didn't do that tells me that our assumptions are right and even THEY know the value for the money is laughable with this one considering lack of mechs and assets. It's a beautiful machine to look at, but the value is not there from the little I can see and I was not about to buy a 15k lottery ticket to find out for sure. They didn't want anyone to get a chance to second guess that insane price point. It kept the FOMO working for them to get their cash up front and leave everyone else holding the bag if it really ends up being a dud.

I remember back when Wonka was revealed at the first ever 12.5k CE price point and at double the production numbers at 500. People (including me) were massively disappointed that the theme elements were dumped out of a dice cup onto the playfield with no flow at all relating to the movie and fewer mechs than POTC. It took a couple of months or more for the CE's to sell out after that I think. There certainly wasn't any FOMO at all. I was so disappointed I cancelled my CE pre-reservation and bought a POTC instead (best decision of the century). It took a couple of years for me to let go of what I had built up in my mind for what it could have been and now I actually enjoy it for what it is and will buy one eventually.

There is a slim chance this one could follow the same path, however, I really think this one has gone too far with the lowest value for the money ever. This thing did not cost anywhere near what GnR cost to build and the prices are bordering on insane. This one will be the one that burns the scalpers in my opinion and it really needs to happen anyway to get them out of here.

Looking forward to Eric's next game if finance doesn't make him strip it down.

#3159 1 year ago

Custom callouts on the CEs? I can see toys or functions but not callouts. They could of used the first 2 movies and it would of had a bigger reception than the 4th. Forky was an awful character. This is Toy Story. Where is Rex, Hamm, Potato Head, Slinky Dog, The Army men and all of important the Aliens. Why did they leave all of these main characters out. Just to put in random characters from the 4th movie no once cares about. This just shows JJP is so out of touch. They are giving us what they think we want, instead of actually giving us what we want. T

#3160 1 year ago
Quoted from pluto:

Honestly this video did wonders for me and my excitement. The longer gameplay shots here I really enjoyed and make me excited.
Although the pinball on the screen does seem silly it's just one thing, the rest looks fun IMO.

Does "looks like fun" translate into a NIB sale for you to make this #4 in your collection though. That is really the only thing that is going to help JJP at this point. I too will be wanting to play it but just like GNR, I will never own one.

#3161 1 year ago

My guess is the licensing costs was crushing to the BOM.. so they stick with the 'no SE edition' launch plan to push their ASP up.

.. but even while they said they made the game to be kid friendly and approachable... where a SE would have made a lot more sense.

I still think they have a SE in their back pocket... just deciding if they actually launch it based on market reaction to their 'new' prices.

#3162 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:My guess is the licensing costs was crushing to the BOM.. so they stick with the 'no SE edition' launch plan to push their ASP up.
.. but even while they said they made the game to be kid friendly and approachable... where a SE would have made a lot more sense.
I still think they have a SE in their back pocket... just deciding if they actually launch it based on market reaction to their 'new' prices.

Not much to cut out of the machine to make a SE

#3163 1 year ago

The fact they didnt Release video, before sales went live, is absolute Horse shit for me.

There is no excuse for that except Shady Greedy business Practice.

#3164 1 year ago
Quoted from dnaman:

Does "looks like fun" translate into a NIB sale for you to make this #4 in your collection though. That is really the only thing that is going to help JJP at this point. I too will be wanting to play it but just like GNR, I will never own one.

It does, but there are some other factors at play too. My wife loves Toy Story and I've been really wanting to get her more into pinball so hearing that this pin is more accessible (which is insulting to some) makes it a good mix of a theme she will love and potentially a pin she will enjoy playing.

#3165 1 year ago
Quoted from bgwilly31:

The fact they didnt Release video, before sales went live, is absolute Horse shit for me.
There is no excuse for that except Shady Greedy business Practice.

1000000% this!

There is no FOMO for this title (TS2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TS4) they were trying to sell out without showing anything that probably didn't work.

#3166 1 year ago

Toy Story 4 LE (TS4LE) & CE (TS4CE) are already in machines database.

8BDE3606-B0EF-4BFB-9248-288448697862.png8BDE3606-B0EF-4BFB-9248-288448697862.png

588C4A37-BAE0-4165-9FEF-79435DE45174.jpeg588C4A37-BAE0-4165-9FEF-79435DE45174.jpeg

5DB22ECA-F1D0-47E7-A0FD-B4689A981366.jpeg5DB22ECA-F1D0-47E7-A0FD-B4689A981366.jpeg
#3167 1 year ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

is it possible the video and pats "excitement" makes me want it less?

LOL, yes...They are hard selling the shit out of this pin in this video...Looks like a turd.

Such a shame, as I was so excited for this...

#3168 1 year ago
Quoted from pluto:

Honestly this video did wonders for me and my excitement. The longer gameplay shots here I really enjoyed and make me excited.
Although the pinball on the screen does seem silly it's just one thing, the rest looks fun IMO.

Ditto. Looks like a fun, well-crafted game.

#3169 1 year ago

I actually think it looks fun. Like a solid product. My issue is 12k? Ouch. As an opp. your talking $2 per game. Im going to pass for now. Hope to pick one up used.

#3170 1 year ago

I like the LE art better than the CE. I think it's because the LE focuses more on original characters and not making the stars of the franchise share the spotlight with movie 4 characters like the CE.

#3171 1 year ago
Quoted from pluto:

It does, but there are some other factors at play too. My wife loves Toy Story and I've been really wanting to get her more into pinball so hearing that this pin is more accessible (which is insulting to some) makes it a good mix of a theme she will love and potentially a pin she will enjoy playing.

Those reasons are as good as any. If the theme fits, it fits. Do enjoy as I am sure that it will be fun. I just don't know that this will be in the projected counts that JJP is hoping for.

#3172 1 year ago

I’m already developing a simple new mod for this game for the Forky targets.

A 2 decal set, same font “U” and “C” letter replacement for the current “O” and “R”. Slap them right on the playfield.

#3173 1 year ago
Quoted from badgerx23:

Not much to cut out of the machine to make a SE

My thoughts exactly. Anything removed and then you have a Stern Homepin (almost).

Watching more of the gameplay, it doesn't excite me. The loop shot to the third flipper is just uninsipring and boring. I guess how GZ did the third flipper shot, while simple, is just fun and new. Sure it will be fun because it's pinball. But I expected a mind-blowing, look what it took 2 years to design machine.

The design team just seems out of touch in the video about what's going to be exciting and what really is exciting to me.

#3174 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

My thoughts exactly. Anything removed and then you have a Stern Homepin (almost).
Watching more of the gameplay, it doesn't excite me. The loop shot to the third flipper is just uninsipring and boring. I guess how GZ did the third flipper shot, while simple, is just fun and new.
The design team just seems out of touch in the video about what's going to be exciting and what really is exciting to me.

I was so pumped to finally get a CE for something, but now don’t know if I ever will. We will see if another dream pin ever comes out. Back to my met pro … lol

#3175 1 year ago
Quoted from Three60in:

I actually think it looks fun. Like a solid product. My issue is 12k? Ouch. As an opp. your talking $2 per game. Im going to pass for now. Hope to pick one up used.

This is 100% the reason I won't buy and why it probably won't sell that well.

$12,000 is not a reasonable entry point for a machine.

#3176 1 year ago

I was 20 minutes in and felt more like snoozing than wanting to play this. Whereas the GnR release video did exactly the opposite!

That "No. I'm not going to do that." remark by Lawlor at the end when asked about what character he identifies with really lends to those rumors about how he was to work with there. Definitely feels sterile and calculated, kinda joyless.

Sadly, I wish Toy Story was themed over Oktoberfest by American. That game is loaded in comparision, but it's visual design is so troubled.

#3177 1 year ago
Quoted from dnaman:

Those reasons are as good as any. If the theme fits, it fits. Do enjoy as I am sure that it will be fun. I just don't know that this will be in the projected counts that JJP is hoping for.

Another big reason for me (this is my first JJP) but I do appreciate how good of a job they display progress and mode rules. I love having friends over to play my GZ, JP and DP but trying to get them into it those are deep games. When I try to get them into, say, JP and talk about a Paddock mode - hit rescues, then the trap targets then the roaming dinosaur I know I lose some people somewhere. And don't get me started on GZ.

So having what appears to be an approachable pin in my collection I'm actually stoked for.

#3178 1 year ago

Game looks to be a fun shooter, but at this point I am kinda wondering who it is for.

Pinball folks, I suspect, are gonna be hard-pressed to go in on it at a $12K starting price, other than the hardcore collectors. I'm a home-use guy and this is just way too much for me when I could get 2 Stern Pros at the same price, more or less.

And are the deep-pocketed Disney heads really gonna be into the Toy Story 4 theming? Toy Story across the board would've been a slam dunk, but I don't think this one hits the right buttons. Plus, so many of the beloved characters just don't even seem to be well-represented, and the iPad doesn't exactly scream Toy Story.

Maybe I will be wrong, but it feels like they missed the sweet spot here. The price point is high because of the license, but it's not the exact license that demands that price point. Will be curious how sales progress.

#3179 1 year ago

Woohoo!! I'm in!! Looks like a beautiful game to me! Really looking forward for the mini-games on the 10" screen!

#3180 1 year ago

European price CE 18750€. I can live a year in Disneyland for that price

#3181 1 year ago
Quoted from pluto:

Another big reason for me (this is my first JJP) but I do appreciate how good of a job they display progress and mode rules. I love having friends over to play my GZ, JP and DP but trying to get them into it those are deep games. When I try to get them into, say, JP and talk about a Paddock mode - hit rescues, then the trap targets then the roaming dinosaur I know I lose some people somewhere. And don't get me started on GZ.
So having what appears to be an approachable pin in my collection I'm actually stoked for.

"Approachable" should never cost 12-15k.

#3182 1 year ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

"Approachable" should never cost 12-15k.

Also a pin for kids. Broke open her piggy bank, she’s not gonna make it.

#3183 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

My guess is the licensing costs was crushing to the BOM.. so they stick with the 'no SE edition' launch plan to push their ASP up.

My thought is that the SE model wasn't nearly as profitable as the other models, yet it takes just as long to build so it makes sense to dump it since production speed is such a big concern these days. I waited over a year for my GNR LE to arrive. I'm surprised they are sticking with 5K units of the LE. Since they are planning on releasing another game within the next 6-8 months I would have limited the LE to 2000 units. 3000 games seems like a lot at these price points and that way they can create more FOMO and move on to the next title quicker. It doesn't seem sustainable for them to sell 5000+ units of every game like they did for GNR.

#3184 1 year ago
Quoted from onemilemore:

Game looks to be a fun shooter, but at this point I am kinda wondering who it is for.
Pinball folks, I suspect, are gonna be hard-pressed to go in on it at a $12K starting price, other than the hardcore collectors. I'm a home-use guy and this is just way too much for me when I could get 2 Stern Pros at the same price, more or less.
And are the deep-pocketed Disney heads really gonna be into the Toy Story 4 theming? Toy Story across the board would've been a slam dunk, but I don't think this one hits the right buttons. Plus, so many of the beloved characters just don't even seem to be well-represented, and the iPad doesn't exactly scream Toy Story.
Maybe I will be wrong, but it feels like they missed the sweet spot here. The price point is high because of the license, but it's not the exact license that demands that price point. Will be curious how sales progress.

This>>> They have priced themselves out of the market.

Operators will never make any money on a $12000 machine. Too expensive for me (Stern Premiums are already pushing it). Families with kids - forget it.

I want JJ to do well but the business case for this machine is totally flawed. They will never sell 5000 LEs.

#3185 1 year ago

Epic fail.

As a huge Toy Story fan, and someone who was on a preorder list, this reveal is hugely disappointing. Never mind the fact that it's based on TS 4 (that's bad enough, and probably reason alone to cancel), but look at the PF. WTF? Where are the toys? You'd think a pin based on a movie about toys would...I don't know....actually have freaking toys on it?

The most exciting part of the pin is the jump ramp, and that's a rehash by Lawlor from No Good Gofers. Lame.

I've never been so excited and subsequently so deflated about a pinball reveal as this one. I cancelled my order.

#3186 1 year ago

Watched the reveal with my family (including young kids) this morning. My family looking at the photos and video: "Where's Buzz?" I zoom in to the tiny Buzz figure. "That's it? Okay, where's Rex, Piggy, the racecar, etch-a-sketch, the claw, and Mr. Potato Head?" My response: "I don't think they're in there, it's just Toy Story 4." Family response: "That's not Toy Story." Pretty much sums it up.

#3187 1 year ago
Quoted from Munsters:

Really looking forward for the mini-games on the 10" screen!

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-ipad/ipad-air

#3188 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I hope so! Definitely got our moneys worth on Wonka.

My math is a bit different, buy for 10k play 10k games is not a buck a play, cuz you are selling it for 10k and selling it for 9k is still a bargain hobby!!!!

You got a great attitude!!!!! And with that attitude I bet you live a fun happy life. Thanks for all you do for us others in this hobby Derek!

#3189 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

My guess is the licensing costs was crushing to the BOM..

Exactly, I think there is an angle where the larger playfield screen can let future code updates add more value. It might be an interesting smaller scale p3 type experiment in a pinball game.

#3190 1 year ago
Quoted from gawcol:

European price CE 18750€. I can live a year in Disneyland for that price

In Canadian and Australian currency, these are through the roof as well. Quite simply put, besides maybe a POTC LE (which I already have) and maybe a Big Bang Bar, you can likely get just about any pin that you could ever want. If your wish list includes lesser desirable titles then you might be able to get two or more for similar coin.

#3191 1 year ago

I'm surprised that no one is calling out the Similarity what happened with Stern Star Wars reveal. This is the same affect.

I'm thinking this was a full-on Disney request that dumped on JJP. Stern Star Wars playfield in the center is also bare. So it seems Disney requirement on certain franchise is to have focus on the theme's characters.

Unfortunate, but guess what? I love my #star-wars-stern-le as the game is an experience spite not having loads of toys/mechs. I'm not getting rid of that game.

However, I would agree this is a steep price increase and not so much difference to CE edition. Oh well, got the wife approval to buy the CE and I'm sticking to it.

Real question: Is this a keeper or a "beat it" and sell it type of game?

#3192 1 year ago
Quoted from dnaman:

In Canadian and Australian currency, these are through the roof as well. Quite simply put, besides maybe a POTC LE (which I already have) and maybe a Big Bang Bar, you can likely get just about any pin that you could ever want. If your wish list includes lesser desirable titles then you might be able to get two or more for similar coin.

With tax this will be over $17,000 CAD.

They will sell very few in Canada. It's a shame - I love the theme but it's not affordable at all.

#3193 1 year ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

I'm surprised that no one is calling out the Similarity what happened with Stern Star Wars reveal. This is the same affect.
I'm thinking this was a full-on Disney request that dumped on JJP. Stern Star Wars playfield in the center is also bare. So it seems Disney requirement on certain franchise is to have focus on the theme's characters.
Unfortunate, but guess what? I love my Star Wars (Premium/LE) as the game is an experience spite not having loads of toys/mechs. I'm not getting rid of that game.
However, I would agree this is a steep price increase and not so much difference to CE edition. Oh well, got the wife approval to buy the CE and I'm sticking to it.
Real question: Is this a keeper or a "beat it" and sell it type of game?

Yes, but Star Wars has hyperloop at least?

#3194 1 year ago

The game looks really beautiful. Love the colors and lights.(maybe a tad to similar to wonka)?.

Gripes....
Playfield looks empty.
Toy story4?
What is with lawlor and ugly generic toys? (pop up girl, electric dude and scissor girl in di)

It may shoot great, but at said suggested price, i was hoping for an overloaded woz situation. Good knows the theme merits it.

#3195 1 year ago
Quoted from kool1:

With tax this will be over $17,000 CAD.
They will sell very few in Canada.

I would buy a TBL at similar coin long before this and I haven't bought Lebowski because of the crazy cost.

#3196 1 year ago
Quoted from Breger1:

The Pro doesn't. Star Wars is a pretty sweet game though and it's pretty bare. But in all fairness, if Stern released that Pro today it would be 7K, not 12K.

#3197 1 year ago
Quoted from Palmer:

The Pro doesn't. Star Wars is a pretty sweet game though and it's pretty bare. But in all fairness, if Stern released that Pro today it would be 7K, not 12K.

"Bare" doesn't mean it's a bad game at all but $12,000 is crazy no matter what it is.

#3198 1 year ago
Quoted from Palmer:

I had pro, premium now. Pro actually shoots better. But I can't do pros anymore. cheap plastic armor, no sliding rail channels

#3199 1 year ago
Quoted from Breger1:

Quoted from Palmer:

'A box of lights' is somewhat similar to what Gary said would sell with the Star Wars IP.

#3200 1 year ago

Damn, the LCD toy is literally the size of an iPad Air, crazy.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Waterford Township, MI
$ 18.50
Playfield - Decals
Lermods
Decals
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
There are 6,049 posts in this topic. You are on page 64 of 121.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-toy-story/page/64 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.