(Topic ID: 290919)

JJP Toy Story (any rumor confirmations?)

By Trojanlaw

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,049 posts
  • 661 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by Chris25810
  • Topic is favorited by 93 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

49E1AA8F-FA29-4F4D-B1BC-1F5A44288A70.jpeg
9A992D2B-FA2B-40FC-AC43-58772CB9538B (resized).jpeg
AC614DA1-F00B-4054-9170-C4D1150B344E (resized).jpeg
IMG_2068 (resized).JPG
IMG_2067 (resized).JPG
72EC51DA-CB1D-4978-8995-03B6B558B128.gif
IMG_3625 (resized).jpeg
224F7BE6-01B8-447C-A998-C3554FBB37C8 (resized).jpeg
GabbyFacemask.jpg
ken_doll_meet_bensons_dummies_by_noureldeinm2003_df7k99y-350t (resized).jpg
86234446-23FA-456B-AC4A-4CF71F767F09 (resized).jpeg
090C9D93-1C0E-4270-A892-121040E8D562 (resized).jpeg
435E7D06-9C0D-4553-AEA9-BE1CE86855F7 (resized).jpeg
6B64B962-6BD0-422D-9BE2-249F80844320 (resized).jpeg
7CBACD5F-A487-4F5E-A9F2-593649FDCD98 (resized).jpeg
AB374773-1B6A-44D9-9D32-700496F69930 (resized).jpeg

There are 6,049 posts in this topic. You are on page 118 of 121.
#5851 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Thank you !
LTG : )

Everybody needs to mention that getting rid of LTG and Butch was a bad move!

#5852 1 year ago
Quoted from konghusker:

My guess is they just couldn’t get the lag fixed. How could jjp remove lag when major video game companies can’t even barely get virtual pinball to not have any lag? They just couldn’t fix it, and I’m guessing it is what it is.

Virtual pinball is generally 3D. Tiki pinball is 2D. The amount of resources Tiki needs are VASTLY LESS.

Also, there are libraries already made with physics you can just plug in and tweak, so the fact that the physics suck so bad is a head scratcher, too.

#5853 1 year ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I would just tell them the truth about everything. I gave them my prospective based on a customer that has purchased all their titles (CE's and LE's). They may listen or they might just throw all the data in the trash and continue doing business as usual.

#5854 1 year ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I would just tell them the truth about everything. I gave them my prospective based on a customer that has purchased all their titles (CE's and LE's). They may listen or they might just throw all the data in the trash and continue doing business as usual.

That's what I did, told them honestly how I felt when I filled out that survey. I highly doubt they'll listen or care, all evidence to the contrary so far, but I figured they gave me an opportunity so I might as well take it.

Jeff

#5855 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

That's what I did, told them honestly how I felt when I filled out that survey. I highly doubt they'll listen or care, all evidence to the contrary so far, but I figured they gave me an opportunity so I might as well take it.
Jeff

You very well might be correct although I found it surprising they actually sent a survey in the first place

#5856 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Virtual pinball is generally 3D. Tiki pinball is 2D. The amount of resources Tiki needs are VASTLY LESS.
Also, there are libraries already made with physics you can just plug in and tweak, so the fact that the physics suck so bad is a head scratcher, too.

Compute bound libraries commonly have platform specific performance challenges. If the library was developed on a more capable hardware platform, it's possible the performance hasn't been optimized for JJP's platform.

#5857 1 year ago

This being the first survey I've ever received from JJP is telling. Obviously sales on TS4 were not what they hoped.

For me, the reduction in mech count (ie the magic) is my main reason for passing on TS4. But for others, it could be the huge price increase, elimination of warranty or playfield quality worries. Oh - and Butch/LTG.

#5858 1 year ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Compute bound libraries commonly have platform specific performance challenges. If the library was developed on a more capable hardware platform, it's possible the performance hasn't been optimized for JJP's platform.

Again, with the long pandemic delay and GnR switcharoo giving much more time for Toy Story 4, this should have been addressed already.

#5859 1 year ago
Quoted from Damonator:

This being the first survey I've ever received from JJP is telling. Obviously sales on TS4 were not what they hoped.
For me, the reduction in mech count (ie the magic) is my main reason for passing on TS4. But for others, it could be the huge price increase, elimination of warranty or playfield quality worries. Oh - and Butch/LTG.

First one I've ever been asked to participate in....they had to of known that jumping from $9.5K for an LE (GNR release $) to $12K was risky? Especially with a game they knew had very little in it. That being said $ was the last thing on my list of JJP issues. I've purchased all of the prior JJP games (LE's and CE's), and was fine with paying a premium for JJP as they always packed games with shots, mechs, great animations, great code, and prior to GNR I always felt like they would take care of me if I had an issue. My issue now is they have raised prices, dropped quality, and have reflected this in their lack of warranty and customer support. Thus I will never purchase another NIB JJP game, and will just look to the secondary market for a nice HUO game.

#5860 1 year ago

...JJP sending out a customer survey is doubtful to be the sign of impending insolvency, lol. (I still gotta fill mine out)

Yes tiki party virtual pinball has a slight lag on the flippers, but it is a mode you play for 15 seconds. My 7 and 9 year old's are able to play it fine without issue (It's actually their favorite mode if they can beat it and get to tiki party multi ball, usually 50/50 for them).

Me personally, if they are going to allocate programming time, I'd rather it go to new features, mini games and modes. That being said, I am pretty happy with the game and code as-is.

#5861 1 year ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

fine with paying a premium for JJP as they always packed games with shots, mechs, great animations, great code, and prior to GNR I always felt like they would take care of me if I had an issue. My issue now is they have raised prices, dropped quality, and have reflected this in their lack of warranty and customer support. Thus I will never purchase another NIB JJP game, and will just look to the secondary market for a nice HUO game.

Got to agree 100%. Sadly, JJP has a lot of work to do to win back my trust and enthusiasm for owning one of their games.

I’ve only had one JJP (Hobbit) but sold it quickly because it just didn’t resonate. Wanted Dialed In but my wife just thought it was a stupid name/theme (though would have been fine with Quantum City) and I should have bought a WOZ Emerald or RR when I had the chance. And as much as we love Pat Lawlor games there were just too many missteps and questionable decisions on DI, Wonka and TS4. And Pat wanted Butch gone so guess what?

The playfield and warranty debacle really soured me on JJP and the horrible decision to drop an evergreen TS 1-3 game in favor of a dated and lackluster TS4 at a ridiculous price doesn’t inspire confidence moving forward. They seem to shoot themselves in the foot every game about something.

Their first game may end up being their best and yet that was the opposite of Jack’s original plan. I’m still rooting for JJP but no longer see myself buying a game without seeing a significant change in direction.

#5862 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

Got to agree 100%. Sadly, JJP has a lot of work to do to win back my trust and enthusiasm for owning one of their games.
I’ve only had one JJP (Hobbit) but sold it quickly because it just didn’t resonate. Wanted Dialed In but my wife just thought it was a stupid name/theme (though would have been fine with Quantum City) and I should have bought a WOZ Emerald or RR when I had the chance. And as much as we love Pat Lawlor games there were just too many missteps and questionable decisions on DI, Wonka and TS4. And Pat wanted Butch gone so guess what?
The playfield and warranty debacle really soured me on JJP and the horrible decision to drop an evergreen TS 1-3 game in favor of a dated and lackluster TS4 at a ridiculous price doesn’t inspire confidence moving forward. They seem to shoot themselves in the foot every game about something.
Their first game may end up being their best and yet that was the opposite of Jack’s original plan. I’m still rooting for JJP but no longer see myself buying a game without seeing a significant change in direction.

Much of what you said, I feel the same way. I started out as a huge JJP fan. I have a POTC, love it and have had no real problems with it. But all the crap that went down with GNR, especially the company’s response to customer complaints and raising the price twice mid-run, turned me off big time. I still hope they succeed. I think they bring a lot to the hobby, but I won’t buy from them again if they don’t make some radical changes in regards to warranty, customer service and pricing. For them to expect us to pay their exorbitant prices they damn well better stand behind their product and give us something that’s worth the price. Otherwise, our business will go to other manufacturers. I hope someone of influence at JJP is reading this stuff!!

#5863 1 year ago

So I got to play ts4 last night. It was a fun game. Way more going on than the impression I’ve gotten from pinside threads. If it wasn’t for the price I think they would have a decent hit on their hands. As it is, it will likely sell ok and they’ll move on. Not a home run, but a single. Keeping the JJP lights on.
6B64B962-6BD0-422D-9BE2-249F80844320 (resized).jpeg6B64B962-6BD0-422D-9BE2-249F80844320 (resized).jpeg

#5864 1 year ago

Stopped by 1UP in LoDo and got to play TS4 with the family. The 10 year old thought it was fun and had decent ball times. I had similar ball times and was impressed with all the places for the ball to go. Everyone was just meh with the Duke Caboom ramp and no one really cared for the lcd screen on the playfield. We also had too many ball hang ups and balls falling off wire habitrails. Hopefully they were just due to poor leveling and setup. Sadly Gabby Gabby and the pin looked really dirty already. It was a fun pin, just not in my tax bracket or a theme that I love.

435E7D06-9C0D-4553-AEA9-BE1CE86855F7 (resized).jpeg435E7D06-9C0D-4553-AEA9-BE1CE86855F7 (resized).jpeg090C9D93-1C0E-4270-A892-121040E8D562 (resized).jpeg090C9D93-1C0E-4270-A892-121040E8D562 (resized).jpeg86234446-23FA-456B-AC4A-4CF71F767F09 (resized).jpeg86234446-23FA-456B-AC4A-4CF71F767F09 (resized).jpeg
#5865 1 year ago
Quoted from arcadenerd925:

...JJP sending out a customer survey is doubtful to be the sign of impending insolvency, lol. (I still gotta fill mine out)
Yes tiki party virtual pinball has a slight lag on the flippers, but it is a mode you play for 15 seconds. My 7 and 9 year old's are able to play it fine without issue (It's actually their favorite mode if they can beat it and get to tiki party multi ball, usually 50/50 for them).
Me personally, if they are going to allocate programming time, I'd rather it go to new features, mini games and modes. That being said, I am pretty happy with the game and code as-is.

I would agree, the tiki pinball is fine for what it is. I’d rather programming to towards new stuff overall as well. Not sure what but I’m open to it!

#5866 1 year ago
Quoted from SirMachismo:

Gabby Gabby and the pin looked really dirty already.

Bad enough that JJP thought of and Disney approved bashing a little girl’s face. Bashing a little girl in blackface is worse.

#5867 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

Bad enough that JJP thought of and Disney approved bashing a little girl’s face. Bashing a little girl in blackface is worse.

Haha

#5868 1 year ago
Quoted from Damonator:

This being the first survey I've ever received from JJP is telling.

What’s this survey? I unsubscribed from their email list, so I guess I’m not getting it lol

#5869 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

What’s this survey? I unsubscribed from their email list, so I guess I’m not getting it lol

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/jersey_jack_pinball

#5871 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Be sure and let them know you miss me.

You found out the same thing the rest of us did, the new owners have no loyalty to those of us that supported on our dime, for the love of the game. But it’s encouraging that they are taking surveys, i think it means they are willing to change for the better.

#5872 1 year ago
Quoted from Colehvac1:

You found out the same thing the rest of us did, the new owners have no loyalty to those of us that supported on our dime,

Oh I found out some years before that. And still I remained loyal.

#5873 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

She’s an evil TOY DOLL…think Chucky except instead of slashing a human open she wants to rip out the insides of Woody…

#5874 1 year ago
Quoted from Freakyguy666:

She’s an evil TOY DOLL…think Chucky except instead of slashing a human open she wants to rip out the insides of Woody…

Yes I know she is evil. It’s still not a good look.

#5875 1 year ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Appropriate move considering this company decided a customer slash and burn approach was new company policy.

Things happen for a reason.

#5876 1 year ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

I would agree, the tiki pinball is fine for what it is. I’d rather programming to towards new stuff overall as well. Not sure what but I’m open to it!

Needs modes based around the hijinks in the Antique shop. The benson posts are already there so at least half the battle is won.

#5877 1 year ago
Quoted from SirMachismo:

Sadly Gabby Gabby and the pin looked really dirty already. It was a fun pin, just not in my tax bracket or a theme that I love. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Gabby looks like she's been under the PF mechanic-ing stuff to keep it running.

#5878 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

Yes I know she is evil. It’s still not a good look.

I agree that its a very odd choice whether she's evil or not.....

#5879 1 year ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I agree that its a very odd choice whether she's evil or not.....

Gabby's face will get dirty unless it is wiped off on occasion. Not hard to clean at all, just another item while cleaning the playfield.

#5880 1 year ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

Gabby's face will get dirty unless it is wiped off on occasion.

I wonder if waxing her would make it wipe off easier ? Eventually it will get ground in and not wipe off.

#5881 1 year ago

What happened to the gopher in No Good Gophers? Did he have the same dirt issue?

#5882 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

What happened to the gopher in No Good Gophers? Did he have the same dirt issue?

No. Darker harder plastic.

Thing hand in TAF can get embedded just going up and down in the box. No amount of cleaning helps.

#5883 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Eventually it will get ground in and not wipe off.

Now might be a good time to get a few spare heads for later.

#5884 1 year ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:Gabby's face will get dirty unless it is wiped off on occasion. Not hard to clean at all, just another item while cleaning the playfield.

Not “occasion” - its a few dozen games. Plus its a printed part… so you can’t use your normal solvent cleaners. Plus its showing signs of wearing… so it becomes rough and dirt sticks more.

After two weeks… i had to stop caring. You can’t keep it clean with avg play

#5885 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Bash toys made with dark colors vs bash toy with flesh tones

#5886 1 year ago

I think I’d pull the face out and add clear coat on it to help protect the paint better, and clean it safely

#5887 1 year ago

Well it was inevitable...Gabby Gabby taking on multiple balls to the face has revealed her true nature as Dirty Gabby. The Bensons were disgusted but Ken was kinda down with it.

ken_doll_meet_bensons_dummies_by_noureldeinm2003_df7k99y-350t (resized).jpgken_doll_meet_bensons_dummies_by_noureldeinm2003_df7k99y-350t (resized).jpg
#5888 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

I wonder if waxing her would make it wipe off easier ? Eventually it will get ground in and not wipe off.

Probably wouldn't hurt. I'll try it and see.

#5889 1 year ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I think I’d pull the face out and add clear coat on it to help protect the paint better, and clean it safely

I'd consider the stuff for cars that stays a bit soft so it doesn't chip or crack from rocks.

#5890 1 year ago

The solution here is pretty obvious.

GabbyFacemask.jpgGabbyFacemask.jpg
#5891 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

The solution here is pretty obvious.[quoted image]

I was thinking more like oral retainer with headgear

224F7BE6-01B8-447C-A998-C3554FBB37C8 (resized).jpeg224F7BE6-01B8-447C-A998-C3554FBB37C8 (resized).jpeg

#5892 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

The solution here is pretty obvious.[quoted image]

Seriously would’ve been cool if they had two Benson heads popping with smartass commentary!

#5893 1 year ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Seriously would’ve been cool if they had two Benson heads popping with smartass commentary!

Sadly, being ventriloquist dummies, the Bensons are mute.

#5894 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:Bad enough that JJP thought of and Disney approved bashing a little girl’s face. Bashing a little girl in blackface is worse.

i had to look again i thought that was a Justin Trudeau bash toy for a moment

#5895 1 year ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Sure, but there are plenty of clips that can be played in the background when they are chasing Woody. That would be cool. JJP would have to overlay with Gabby voice.

Why not have a mode specifically revolved around them. Ugh, again a reminder too much was not implemented.

I'm enjoying my NIB Wonka, but still think TS could of been something real great. JJP can produce a TS1-3 in the future.

Though, I would think people would be pissed if they did that. Not I!!!

#5896 1 year ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Rudy has a pretty good vocabulary!

#5897 1 year ago

Just played TS4 on location. 2nd game, got a pretty good score, 12,201,450...not Karl D Angelo by any means but good enough for a GC.

I'll start by saying the hate for the game I've read and heard in some places is unwarranted. Once you play it it is fun and shoots very well

I think some of the problem here is people forming personal speculative expectation of what they have built up the game to be and then dismissive anger when those features or expectations aren't met. Understandable to a degree, but I stand by the play it first, then judge it mantra.

I'm not a Toy Story die hard fan by any means but my kids were little when Toy Story 1 was a thing so I always remember that film. The others were a blur

That being said, here's a quick rundown of my Pro/Con after playing about 8 games tonight

Pro's

Overall, the game is nice appearance and light show wise. I'm a sucker for blue colors and primary palettes. Draws you in

Really get the carnival fireworks effects.

Tiki was fine - I didn't mind the lag and it reminded me of some old school gray Liquid Crystal displays from Milton Bradley back in the 80's for the ball trail lag

I felt like I was making progress and didn't feel like it was too easy.

Good shots and flow

Good Callouts

Kaboom ramp was fun even though I only got the one at a time shot due to my own progress

Like the real kickback although sometimes it didn't fire and the ballsave intervened - not sure if by design

Con's

Right upper flipper was weak and repeatedly got stuck in the up position - probably a spring

A little scatter shot as far as the rules and progression - not really a story there, just shoot this, shoot that etc

Price for home

Maybe too easy over time for the home (I like challenges though TWD, SW Prem, JP) although with kids I could definitely see this being a keeper.

#5898 1 year ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Like the real kickback although sometimes it didn't fire and the ballsave intervened - not sure if by design

There's a timing adjustment for this in the settings. Mine missed quite a bit out of the box, but never misses now that I've adjusted the timing on the menu.

#5899 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

There's a timing adjustment for this in the settings. My missed quite a bit out of the box, but never misses now that I've adjusted the timing on the menu.

What did you adjust the time to? I have this issue.

#5900 1 year ago

I reduced mine by 50% from 60 ms to 30 ms and it works perfectly. I did the same % reduction for my WONKA and it cleared the problem there also. Thanks Pinmonk. I did know about this adjustment until I saw your post

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
There are 6,049 posts in this topic. You are on page 118 of 121.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-toy-story/page/118 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.