(Topic ID: 290919)

JJP Toy Story (any rumor confirmations?)

By Trojanlaw

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,049 posts
  • 661 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by Chris25810
  • Topic is favorited by 93 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

49E1AA8F-FA29-4F4D-B1BC-1F5A44288A70.jpeg
9A992D2B-FA2B-40FC-AC43-58772CB9538B (resized).jpeg
AC614DA1-F00B-4054-9170-C4D1150B344E (resized).jpeg
IMG_2068 (resized).JPG
IMG_2067 (resized).JPG
72EC51DA-CB1D-4978-8995-03B6B558B128.gif
IMG_3625 (resized).jpeg
224F7BE6-01B8-447C-A998-C3554FBB37C8 (resized).jpeg
GabbyFacemask.jpg
ken_doll_meet_bensons_dummies_by_noureldeinm2003_df7k99y-350t (resized).jpg
86234446-23FA-456B-AC4A-4CF71F767F09 (resized).jpeg
090C9D93-1C0E-4270-A892-121040E8D562 (resized).jpeg
435E7D06-9C0D-4553-AEA9-BE1CE86855F7 (resized).jpeg
6B64B962-6BD0-422D-9BE2-249F80844320 (resized).jpeg
7CBACD5F-A487-4F5E-A9F2-593649FDCD98 (resized).jpeg
AB374773-1B6A-44D9-9D32-700496F69930 (resized).jpeg
There are 6,049 posts in this topic. You are on page 112 of 121.
#5551 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I unboxed a corporate owned Toy Story 4 for the company office Tuesday and this game is a hard fail from Jersey Jack completely separate from gameplay.
First of all, there is an inexcusable number of stuck balls on this game. I have confirmed with my phone as well as my dedicated inclinometer that the game is at a 6.5 degree slope and that it is perfectly level left to right. I have had to physically bend the ball return where the wires go underneath the “Ducky and Bunny” toys as the ball kept getting hung up there. I have had to adjust the return gate by where the prize wheel is. The third ball ALWAYS gets stuck there when releasing balls for multiball. I have had to “shake the crap” out of the machine multiple times to get the ball unstuck from behind the LCD gamepad multiple times.
As to other issues with this $12,000 machine. I have had the laser kickback work 1 time in actually returning the ball to the game. It has drained every single other time. This NIB machine has multiple loose switches in it. After less than 20 plays, every single flipper hit and nudge triggers the far right pop. The little pop ups next to the kaboom ramp are not flush, and effect the travel path of the ball. Same thing with the spinning wheel. The slings on this game are anemic.
As to gameplay and layout? I really don’t have that much to say as most games I play are incomplete due to the ball hangups, and most other folks don’t either as casuals are not removing the glass to fix stuck balls. I will say that the Duke Kaboom ramp is satisfying, and that Gabby Gabby is not very well integrated. The modes do not feel different from one another at all. My ST:TNG, LOTR, JP, and Deadpool Pro all have very different feeling and playing modes. These all felt the same.
As to the pros… the Duke Kaboom rampe is satisfying, the screen looks great, the game looks beautiful, and I really like the cake toppers. I feel like this game should be more approachable to noobs and casuals and the mini tablet does a good job of explaining what is going on, but they have all this fancy stuff in here and it is still not obvious what you are supposed to do in general. Addams family had a “shoot the ramps then shoot the scoop” to start the modes. This does not have something simple like that.
Maybe the game will be better once it is dialed in, but I am beyond disappointed with the build quality issues I’m having. There are so many freaking oversights on this with them trying to make this nice that it’s not funny. For example, the game came with a cheap wrench labled leg bolt wrench… the wrench doesn’t actually fit the bolts (it is barely too small). You have to remove a plate with a huge warning cover labeled “qualified service personnel” to even plug this in. This game looks like they were trying to make a game to appeal to the masses that was less complicated. I don’t think they satisfied anyone here. I would rather have any other JJP game than this based on gameplay. I am grateful the company put a machine in the office, but a Cyclone would have been infinitely more entertaining. I do think this will appeal to little kids that will want to shoot the Duke Kaboom ramp repeatedly though. It is an easy target that appeals to noobs and casuals like scoring goals in World Cup Soccer 94. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

After 2 weeks in the company office the game is still down more often than it is up due to stuck balls. There are some serious design flaws in this game, and I am bringing styrofoam with me next time I'm there to press into shape to keep the ball from getting stuck in certain spots. I'm still dialing in switches as well but this is a hard fail from JJP as far as I'm concerned.

As to the game itself, I still don't like it and would rather have most Stern Pros than this from a fun factor.

HOWEVER,

The reception among the "non-pinball" people on this machine at the company office has been overwhelmingly positive, and this is getting played more than Deadpool, Star Wars, or Led Zepplin was when they were here. Non-pinball people understand this game, and the Gabby Gabby, easy ramp, easy scoop, spin wheel, captive ball, and kaboom ramp all make easy targets. As a half decent player, I find it boring and too easy, but the crowd as a whole love it. One of the other guys in the company with a pin (a G&R) told me he preferred the Toy Story because it, "shot better".

As a pinball fan, I'm still lukewarm at best on this, but the masses at the company overwhelmingly improve.

JJP did not build this for pinside... they built it for the non pinball nerd... and its appeal is strong with that crowd.

#5552 1 year ago

JJP did not build this for pinside... they built it for the non pinball nerd... and its appeal is strong with that crowd.

For $12,000! Should’ve been made and priced as a home pin instead. Only cash flush collectors and route operators can justify spending this much coin. It’s unjustifiable for the entire middle of the bell curve.

#5553 1 year ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

For $12,000! Should’ve been made and priced as a home pin instead. Only cash flush collectors and route operators can justify spending this much coin. It’s unjustifiable for the entire middle of the bell curve.

#5554 1 year ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

Well... it's the perfect pin for a corporate office!

#5555 1 year ago

Well... it's the perfect pin for a corporate office!

And expensed off the profit/loss report as a depreciating asset

#5556 1 year ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

And expensed off the profit/loss report as a depreciating asset

I won't tout the company I work for. But I will say the Star Wars LE they bought was donated to the Walter Reed Army Hospital after a year in the company office and is still there to this day on freeplay for recovering troops.

#5557 1 year ago

After 2 weeks in the company office the game is still down more often than it is up due to stuck balls. There are some serious design flaws in this game, and I am bringing styrofoam with me next time I'm there to press into shape to keep the ball from getting stuck in certain spots. I'm still dialing in switches as well but this is a hard fail from JJP as far as I'm concerned.

This doesn’t seem normal. I haven’t had a single stuck ball in about 50 plays on this game. If you are getting them all over the place something must be well out of intended position. Other than my lockdown bar rail being a little bent, which they immediately sent a replacement for, I haven’t had any issues at all. That’s not to discredit your situation but it is to say that the way yours is playing is likely not the intended design.

Also, I was way out on this game but had a strange series of events that led to a great deal for one and so I ended up getting it. $12k is overpriced but the game is very fun and my family loves it. I have only owned GNR, DI and Hobbit from JJP but this is my favorite by a good margin.

#5558 1 year ago
Quoted from TheBeefSupreme:

This doesn’t seem normal. I haven’t had a single stuck ball in about 50 plays on this game. If you are getting them all over the place something must be well out of intended position. Other than my lockdown bar rail being a little bent, which they immediately sent a replacement for, I haven’t had any issues at all. That’s not to discredit your situation but it is to say that the way yours is playing is likely not the intended design.
Also, I was way out on this game but had a strange series of events that led to a great deal for one and so I ended up getting it. $12k is overpriced but the game is very fun and my family loves it. I have only owned GNR, DI and Hobbit from JJP but this is my favorite by a good margin.

This. no stuck balls on ours either. I would start a thread with some pics and point out the areas it gets stuck and perhaps other owners can compare to theirs to see if we can sort out whats going on with yours.

#5559 1 year ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

So how do you determine what a game "feels like when playing it" without playing it?

easy ! just by seeing the shoots, and the rules/code, but again, only when pin is played by a very good player (else its hard to know, i admit)

Quoted from JohnTTwo:

Some times a girl can be way different then her looks "Whole Lot of Rosie" AC/DC you could be missing out.

and than i agree, and it happends sometime (only idiots didnt change their mind )

#5560 1 year ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

easy ! just by seeing the shoots, and the rules/code, but again, only when pin is played by a very good player (else its hard to know, i admit)

That is a terrible way to determine whether something is easy.

As a counter example, Tony Hawk can do Indy 540s all day, without fail. If you only watched him, you'd assume they're easy, because they're easy for him, but 99% of other skaters can't land those at all. If someone is very good at something, everything they do looks easy...

A better test for whether something is easy is how easy average players find it and if you're trying to figure out how easy it would be for you, then the best test would be watching players of a similar skill level to you play it.

#5561 1 year ago

As to the game itself, I still don't like it and would rather have most Stern Pros than this from a fun factor.
HOWEVER,
The reception among the "non-pinball" people on this machine at the company office has been overwhelmingly positive, and this is getting played more than Deadpool, Star Wars, or Led Zepplin was when they were here. Non-pinball people understand this game, and the Gabby Gabby, easy ramp, easy scoop, spin wheel, captive ball, and kaboom ramp all make easy targets. As a half decent player, I find it boring and too easy, but the crowd as a whole love it. One of the other guys in the company with a pin (a G&R) told me he preferred the Toy Story because it, "shot better".
As a pinball fan, I'm still lukewarm at best on this, but the masses at the company overwhelmingly improve.

Great tell. Seems like a great and approachable pin for getting family and friends involved.
If this were a 7.5k machine i think a lot of home collectors would consider it for that reason.

#5562 1 year ago

After 2 weeks in the company office the game is still down more often than it is up due to stuck balls. There are some serious design flaws in this game, and I am bringing styrofoam with me next time I'm there to press into shape to keep the ball from getting stuck in certain spots. \

Like where?

We operate the game without techs onsite and don't have similar issues. In fact, I can't think of any stuck ball issues once the pop-ups were adjusted on day one.

#5563 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Like where?
We operate the game without techs onsite and don't have similar issues. In fact, I can't think of any stuck ball issues once the pop-ups were adjusted on day one.

Most recently (yesterday) when I came over it was stuck under that dang cake topper on the right return habitrail. Level left to right and about a 6.8% incline.

duck (resized).jpgduck (resized).jpg
#5564 1 year ago

Most recently (yesterday) when I came over it was stuck under that dang cake topper on the right return habitrail. Level left to right and about a 6.8% incline.
[quoted image]

1 - they give you very specific instructions on the incline (which is not 6.8 btw)
2 - Can't say I've seen that ball movement and not sure how it would have bounced into that spot from below. Any others you see frequently?

I'd start with setting the game at the very specific 6.5 level they instruct you to (IIRC), ensure the three playfield features are all adjusted for proper height, and go from there.

Besides adjusting Gabby to drop better.. game pretty much hasn't had to be opened at all for us post-setup.

#5565 1 year ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

Reb out of fairness since you may be new here, no one on this site I am aware of plays more games then Derrick. (zaphX)

My comment was a joke and not against Derek. I was joking on the guy telling Derek he's never played it and didn't need to because he's a "hardcore" player and can tell by a stream that it isn't good. I am aware of Derek's high play count!

Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 12.23.20 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-07-13 at 12.23.20 PM (resized).png
#5566 1 year ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Great tell. Seems like a great and approachable pin for getting family and friends involved.
If this were a 7.5k machine i think a lot of home collectors would consider it for that reason.

Honestly this alone would make me buy one. However that is why I kept Willy Wonk, newbies loved it, I was offered 16k for and my wife freaked out no way that is my piece of art LMAO. Happy to still have it and I just finished my worst game in a month, 800k ouch!!! And by far my favorite game. So maybe TS4 can do that for some people and I will most likely buy one at some point, after I save enough off MSRP to make up for my loss on Halloween, LOL.

#5567 1 year ago
Quoted from RebelGuitars:

My comment was a joke and not against Derek. I was joking on the guy telling Derek he's never played it and didn't need to because he's a "hardcore" player and can tell by a stream that it isn't good. I am aware of Derek's high play count!
[quoted image]

Thanks my apologies upvote at least

#5568 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

How many times have you played it?

I've played it a bunch of times and completely agree with his statements.

#5569 1 year ago

HOWEVER,

If this is on the second floor or higher I recommend you open the window and toss it out!!You piece of shit!!!!!
Good riddance!

#5570 1 year ago
Quoted from explosiveegg:

That is a terrible way to determine whether something is easy.
As a counter example, Tony Hawk can do Indy 540s all day, without fail. If you only watched him, you'd assume they're easy, because they're easy for him, but 99% of other skaters can't land those at all. If someone is very good at something, everything they do looks easy...
A better test for whether something is easy is how easy average players find it and if you're trying to figure out how easy it would be for you, then the best test would be watching players of a similar skill level to you play it.

the word easy, in my sentence, was to qualify my answer to the ask (sorry for not being english/us native), not to say that TS4 was easy (but than i can say that i think it is ! lol)

and about myself, i'm not at Karl level, but for sure good player enough to understand what i see & to know what i have to know about a pin (but here you're still free to think that this can't be as it)

Quoted from RebelGuitars:

[quoted image]

same reply for you
is it so hard to believe, or simply understand ?

#5571 1 year ago

HOWEVER,

“Too easy”?? Are you saying you made it to fireworks? And that is only the halfway point…not easy unless you’re at least bordering on being a Pro…

#5572 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I think the confusion is that the giant Ipad sits flat rather than vertical. It really should have been an Etcha Sketch.

While im ok with the screen, I agree they should have made it an etch a sketch. Maybe somebody can do a mod.

#5573 1 year ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

This brings another point… do we all think it took Pat L and team almost 4 years to develop this game?
I’m assuming folks were expecting TS for the past 4 years, but I want to think JJP did not take that long to produce this game.

I heard it’s been ready for several years (can’t validate the accuracy). Logic would dictate that it should have coincided with the release of TS4.

#5574 1 year ago

Edit - cut crap from another half post.

HOWEVER,

In following your saga, you may have a lemon or damaged machine, I’ve got 300 plus on mine and while I did have a few things QC should/could have caught (that I fixed), I’ve never had a ball get stuck to the point of the machine being down. I think I’d get JJP’s help if it’s that bad, I’d be down on the game too.

By the way I’m a huge pinball nerd, and I enjoy the game. A little bit on the “casual” side (vs a Wonka or JP), but it’s earned a spot in my lineup and I play a lot and I’m not beating it every time, so can’t call it easy.

There is an owners forum where you’d probably have better luck getting help. This forum is only for sparring.

#5575 1 year ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

While im ok with the screen, I agree they should have made it an etch a sketch. Maybe somebody can do a mod.

To me the obvious mod would be the Tiki Party pinball machine.

#5576 1 year ago

The reception among the "non-pinball" people on this machine at the company office has been overwhelmingly positive

that makes sense - JJP has again gone into new territory - it keeps reinventing pinball…

Quoted from TheBeefSupreme:

This doesn’t seem normal. I haven’t had a single stuck ball in about 50 plays on this game.

non pinball people play differently - I‘ve seen balls getting stuck in places pinheads would never experience.

#5577 1 year ago

After 2 weeks in the company office the game is still down more often than it is up due to stuck balls.

Something's wrong. We haven't had a single stuck ball.

#5578 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Something's wrong. We haven't had a single stuck ball.

Could be that more newbies are playing it and their wilder shots are causing it.

#5579 1 year ago
Quoted from manadams:

Could be that more newbies are playing it and their wilder shots are causing it.

Unless it's airballs that are getting physically launched, no. There's something that needs to be adjusted that's physically wrong or pitch/level is wrong.

#5580 1 year ago
Quoted from branlon8:

non pinball people play differently - I‘ve seen balls getting stuck in places pinheads would never experience.

Strange but true. When casuals play our games, I see stuck balls in places I've managed to avoid in thousands of plays.

#5581 1 year ago
Quoted from yancy:

Strange but true. When casuals play our games, I see stuck balls in places I've managed to avoid in thousands of plays.

Yeah, I've seen that too!

#5582 1 year ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Considering it took 4 years to make, was the good bye game from a designer with lots of accolade.
Had a theme most were really into and due to theme anticipated lots of fun mechs and imagination, were price was also indikating something very, very special.
You, might not call it a flop, but i think many are hugely disappointed.

Good bad or ugly any worker is only as good as his last product. Business 101. However…

We aren’t running a business nor are we employed by JJP. Possibly Zaphx. Not convinced about him;

But this is an American Culture. Price really did this title in. That and theme. Ok, and that fucking MacBook in the upper corner. Not a fantastic sendoff for Pat. But hey, thanks for the memories buddy!

#5583 1 year ago

[quoted image]

Check the switch on the ramp just to the left. It may need a little bend to make the actuator less stiff. That could be deflecting the ball off of the wireform. This happened once on my game although the ball didn’t stick there.

#5584 1 year ago
Quoted from underlord:

Ok, and that fucking MacBook in the upper corner.

Hey hey hey hey, you’re gonna piss off Derek! It’s a Microsoft Surface in the upper corner!

#5585 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Check the switch on the ramp just to the left. It may need a little bend to make the actuator less stiff. That could be deflecting the ball off of the wireform. This happened once on my game although the ball didn’t stick there.

Thats actually a really good suggestion. Will check the next time I'm over there.

#5586 1 year ago

I don’t know why i see alot of bashing of this game, but I played again in a home setting and its really fun to shoot. If you like jjp games and you’re a fan of the Toystory movies you will enjoy this game. I cant give an opinion on price since i bought a rushLE and im part of the problem not the solu

#5587 1 year ago
Quoted from underlord:

that fucking MacBook in the upper corner.

lol

zaphX ?? Come on - you get upset about it being called an Ipad. But a "f*cking MacBook" !! Doesn't even have a Thunderbolt port.

Maybe Pat's next will have a "f*cking MacBook" in it. "Dialed In 2: Working From Home".

#5588 1 year ago
Quoted from underlord:

We aren’t running a business nor are we employed by JJP. Possibly Zaphx. Not convinced about him;

If I worked for JJP I would have built my own CE by now.

#5589 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Hey hey hey hey, you’re gonna piss off Derek! It’s a Microsoft Surface in the upper corner!

I thought JJP ran on Unix - so it clearly can‘t be MS or Apple - let‘s just call it a workstation.

#5590 1 year ago

Played some more on location today. Gabby Gabby never popped up (possibly shut off or damaged?)

The "giant iPad" does a really good job of telling me what to shoot.

Someone took my grand champ.

#5591 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Played some more on location today.
The "giant iPad" does a really good job of telling me what to shoot.

That’s what the giant screen on the backbox is for... The iPad location should’ve been a mech.

#5592 1 year ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

That’s what the giant screen on the backbox is for... The iPad location should’ve been a mech.

So everyone would be happy if there was a Vari-Target there?

#5593 1 year ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

Looking all the way up to the backbox monitor is less convenient than looking where you're already directed on the PF. SEE: Cirqus Voltaire, Dialed In, Hobbit, GnR, etc

#5594 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Looking all the way up to the backbox monitor is less convenient than looking where you're already directed on the PF. SEE: Cirqus Voltaire, Dialed In, Hobbit, GnR, etc

So do a Banzai Run or NBA Fastbreak backbox then... Why the heck do you need a huge TV there if you’re not going to use it?!

#5595 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

So everyone would be happy if there was a Vari-Target there?

Plus a vari, minus the cake toppers, and adding unique sculpts in their place would equal closer to the 12k ask.

If, then = happy.

#5596 1 year ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

So do a Banzai Run or NBA Fastbreak backbox then... Why the heck do you need a huge TV there if you’re not going to use it?!

Just because you can’t scan the backbox for instructions doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the Scenes that play when you initiate or complete a mode…

#5597 1 year ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

.. and adding unique sculpts in their place would equal closer to the 12k ask.

Yikes.

#5598 1 year ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

Wow finally a new opinion!

#5599 1 year ago
Quoted from Freakyguy666:

Just because you can’t scan the backbox for instructions doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the Scenes that play when you initiate or complete a mode…

Huh? Also if JJP did a better job of illuminating the shots to target with their RGB and insert work they wouldn’t need a second screen plus Tim and Jim telling you what to do. The playfield looks like a rainbow threw up on it. How many instructions do you need?

#5600 1 year ago

And before you guys get on me about my comment re: RGB shots etc. and tell me how they’re for a new generation of players and all the instructions are easier to understand... Tell me how many young kids know what color Cyan is?

“Shoot Cyan shots” oof... Let’s stick to the primary colors. Disney/Pixar did for this movie.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 11,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Lighting - Led
Lermods

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Royersford, PA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.50
Playfield - Decals
Lermods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 11,500.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 299.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Eville Pinball

10,099 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 16.95
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Machine - Pre-order Spot
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

There are 6,049 posts in this topic. You are on page 112 of 121.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-toy-story/page/112 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.