(Topic ID: 290919)

JJP Toy Story (any rumor confirmations?)

By Trojanlaw

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,049 posts
  • 661 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by Chris25810
  • Topic is favorited by 93 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

49E1AA8F-FA29-4F4D-B1BC-1F5A44288A70.jpeg
9A992D2B-FA2B-40FC-AC43-58772CB9538B (resized).jpeg
AC614DA1-F00B-4054-9170-C4D1150B344E (resized).jpeg
IMG_2068 (resized).JPG
IMG_2067 (resized).JPG
72EC51DA-CB1D-4978-8995-03B6B558B128.gif
IMG_3625 (resized).jpeg
224F7BE6-01B8-447C-A998-C3554FBB37C8 (resized).jpeg
GabbyFacemask.jpg
ken_doll_meet_bensons_dummies_by_noureldeinm2003_df7k99y-350t (resized).jpg
86234446-23FA-456B-AC4A-4CF71F767F09 (resized).jpeg
090C9D93-1C0E-4270-A892-121040E8D562 (resized).jpeg
435E7D06-9C0D-4553-AEA9-BE1CE86855F7 (resized).jpeg
6B64B962-6BD0-422D-9BE2-249F80844320 (resized).jpeg
7CBACD5F-A487-4F5E-A9F2-593649FDCD98 (resized).jpeg
AB374773-1B6A-44D9-9D32-700496F69930 (resized).jpeg
There are 6,049 posts in this topic. You are on page 102 of 121.
#5051 1 year ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I don't buy it (and yes its a guess)...many other companies are building games with more mechs and higher BOM's (i.e CGC). CGC's CCRLE is $9200 versus JJP's $12K so its not about JJP maintaining margins its all about increasing margins. This was a historic money grab by the "new" JJP

Doesn't seem like a fair comparison. I don't know what the breakdown is, but I'd imagine the development budget of TS4 would clearly require a lot more R&D effort, artist and licensing costs, as opposed to a remake (all be it, with quite a bit of added work, still nothing next to starting scratch.).

#5052 1 year ago
Quoted from koji:

Doesn't seem like a fair comparison. I don't know what the breakdown is, but I'd imagine the development budget of TS4 would clearly require a lot more R&D effort, artist and licensing costs, as opposed to a remake (all be it, with quite a bit of added work, still nothing next to starting scratch.).

I'd find it hard to believe that TS4 didn't cost more to develop than most pins. Those JP de Win video assets are best-in-class. But development costs are fixed. The variable costs on TS4 shouldn't be significantly higher than many if not most other pins. And that includes royalties, which any licensed theme likely has to pay, including Stern's royalties to Disney for Mando.

If their variable costs are higher on TS4, then JJP is doing something wrong with procurement or manufacturing.

#5053 1 year ago
Quoted from Xelz:

I'd find it hard to believe that TS4 didn't cost more to develop than most pins. Those JP de Win video assets are best-in-class. But development costs are fixed. The variable costs on TS4 shouldn't be significantly higher than many if not most other pins. And that includes royalties, which any licensed theme likely has to pay, including Stern's royalties to Disney for Mando.
If their variable costs are higher on TS4, then JJP is doing something wrong with procurement or manufacturing.

Well… it would be nice if a certain representative from JJP can talk upon it. Transparency is all what customers ask for.

However, JJP does not have an obligation to address this. I as well wonder what drove the cost of this pin for about $3,000 increase for CE.

FYI, I have a CE on order spite the severe cost increase. I know, I’m part of the problem.

#5054 1 year ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I don't buy it (and yes its a guess)...many other companies are building games with more mechs and higher BOM's (i.e CGC). CGC's CCRLE is $9200 versus JJP's $12K so its not about JJP maintaining margins its all about increasing margins. This was a historic money grab by the "new" JJP

It might be but would you call the pins being sold in the “Pinside Marketplace” as historic money grabs?

Looks like both JJP and Stern see what’s going on. It’s easy to see with our own eyes.

Is the unwritten rule that companies can’t take away the “flipper profit”?

Maybe it backfires on all of them eventually.

I’m gonna go with it’s a title by title phenomenon in the future.

What’s an Elwin Jaws LE gonna be priced at?

Should MSRP be $11k so flippers can turn them for $20k right off the top? Ever since the Metallica LE debacle Stern has been playing catch up

Maybe like JJP, 5,000 “LEs”. It all get ridiculous at some point and maybe we are there.

#5055 1 year ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

I as well wonder what drove the cost of this pin for about $3,000 increase for CE.

Because people still bought it at this price.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#5056 1 year ago
Quoted from koji:

I'm sure starting from scratch is more expensive, but theres a ton or engineering and R & D that goes into the remakes along with the additional code. My point is JJP is $3K more for quite a bit less .... u can't tell me thats all R&D costs, and if it is than something is very wrong at JJP

#5057 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It might be but would you call the pins being sold in the “Pinside Marketplace” as historic money grabs?
Looks like both JJP and Stern see what’s going on. It’s easy to see with our own eyes.
Is the unwritten rule that companies can’t take away the “flipper profit”?
Maybe it backfires on all of them eventually.
I’m gonna go with it’s a title by title phenomenon in the future.
What’s an Elwin Jaws LE gonna be priced at?
Should MSRP be $11k so flippers can turn them for $20k right off the top? Ever since the Metallica LE debacle Stern has been playing catch up
Maybe like JJP, 5,000 “LEs”. It all get ridiculous at some point and maybe we are there.

I guess your point is who makes the profit, which is a very fair point. JJP's strategy is to claim most if not all of the flipper profit short term! Time will tell if thats good business or not....my guess is we've reached the breaking point, and sales #'s for JJP will be way down.

#5058 1 year ago
homer1 (resized).jpghomer1 (resized).jpgmarge1 (resized).jpgmarge1 (resized).jpghomer.gifhomer.gif
#5059 1 year ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I guess your point is who makes the profit, which is a very fair point. JJP's strategy is to claim most if not all of the flipper profit short term! Time will tell if thats good business or not....my guess is we've reached the breaking point, and sales #'s for JJP will be way down.

I agree with that Ptown. The Toy Story 4 theme was a major letdown for most.

Raising the price to $15k and 1,000 units from $12,500 and 500 units was a bit crazy but I get why they did it. Plus they aren’t like Stern pumping out games. It’s been 18 months since GNR which has been their biggest seller, beating out WOZ.

It looks like a really fun game but their shouldn’t be any FOMO rush to go grab one unless you it’s a dream theme, you have kids, etc etc

Stern has been much “incremental” in their price increases but they have come a long ways also

#5060 1 year ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

-----------------
And as far as the SE Model goes, how could they have a TS4 SE????
I mean, what could they actually drop from the LE to make it an SE?

Lose the hot rails, powdercoating, shaker, and invisiglass. And boom, you've got an SE TS4.

#5061 1 year ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Lose the hot rails, powdercoating, shaker, and invisiglass. And boom, you've got an SE TS4.

SE would still be 11K without all that stuff. There is a reason why they didn't include an SE. Not enough to take out to make a large enough difference. Pretty sure everyone would be up in arms if they released an 11K SE. And no one would buy it because the disparity between it and an LE would be too small.

#5062 1 year ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

That's like $200-250 off the BOM cost. Ain't gonna move the needle.

#5063 1 year ago
Quoted from Palmer:

SE would still be 11K without all that stuff. There is a reason why they didn't include an SE. Not enough to take out to make a large enough difference. Pretty sure everyone would be up in arms if they released an 11K SE. And no one would buy it because the disparity between it and an LE would be too small.

The GnR SE pretty much proved this. It's the rarest version because almost no one bought it.

#5064 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The GnR SE pretty much proved this. It's the rarest version because almost no one bought it.

Heck I think DI proved this and there were only a couple light bulbs extra on the LE (PF wise).

#5065 1 year ago

Powdercoating is only perceived value. It's actually cheaper than stainless hardware. Might save a couple bucks going from a two-stage color to simple black wrinkle, but that's about it. Data East didn't switch from stainless to black hardware in 1989 because it was an upgrade.

#5066 1 year ago
Quoted from Xelz:

Why would you think things like royalties... that are completely negotiated fees.. and vary depending on what you actually use... as fixed or similar between games?

Or even that development costs are fixed?

That's why companies have a BUDGET - so they can try to control where they do spend their money and ultimately they must decide what they want to invest in and what margins they will accept.

Just look at the audio assets in Sterns... notice the pattern of having ONE voice actor? These are budgetary choices... not consistencies for pinball between companies.

#5067 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Quoted from Palmer:

Listen guys, you make me chuckle if you think that the actual BOM cost of TS4 has anything to do with the MSRP that JJP is charging. JJP is charging 15k for the CE and 12k for LE, not because it costs them anywhere near that to make them, but because they think they can. JJP looked at the market and decided they could get away with those prices.

I don't think cutting the features I listed would actually reduce JJP's cost by much, but it would be a way for them to differentiate an SE model. The differences between the SE and LE on Dialed In, and on also on Wonka, was even more minimal than what I've suggested for a theoretical TS4 SE.

I'm also not suggesting that JJP actually make an SE model, but someone asked how it could be done, and so I put forth an idea.

#5068 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yet those kinds of differences have generally been the norm for JJP tiers.. until we got GNR and Wonka.

Drop the Powder, drop the shaker, drop invisiglass.. this is how they've always done it.

#5069 1 year ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Listen guys, you make me chuckle if you think that the actual BOM cost of TS4 has anything to do with the MSRP that JJP is charging. JJP is charging 15k for the CE and 12k for LE, not because it costs them anywhere near that to make them, but because they think they can. JJP looked at the market and decided they could get away with those prices.
I don't think cutting the features I listed would actually reduce JJP's cost by much, but it would be a way for them to differentiate an SE model. The differences between the SE and LE on Dialed In, and on also on Wonka, was even more minimal than what I've suggested for a theoretical TS4 SE.
I'm also not suggesting that JJP actually make an SE model, but someone asked how it could be done, and so I put forth an idea.

The problem is your example is going the reverse direction JJP wants to go. You think they are going to cut some small BOM items and then discount the game enough for it to be considered an SE? That doesn't make any business sense.

#5070 1 year ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

SE stripped from the already light LE is a lose-lose proposition. The problem is the $12k price coupled with a perceived lack of mechanical features. That ship has sailed already, so really nothing for them to do but suck it up and grind some TS4 out and hope code can turn things around until the next JJP release.

#5071 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Yet those kinds of differences have generally been the norm for JJP tiers.. until we got GNR and Wonka.
Drop the Powder, drop the shaker, drop invisiglass.. this is how they've always done it.

Right, but that was only the first time JJP did this by taking $1K off the retail off DI LE to make the SE, which you could do with leaving off powder, shaker, invisiglass. As the LE prices increased, more stuff had to be cut, which is why starting with jjPotC, and continuing with Wonka and GnR playfield stuff was removed (more in line with how Stern does it from Prem/LE down to Pro) to make SE versions, and those stripped games were a lot less desirable, so almost no one bought them. Taking $1k off Toy Story 4 isn't going to do anything positive for sales. The SE would have to be like $2.5k less to get it under $10k and then enough would have been cut that no one would want it. Lose-lose.

#5072 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Right, but that was only the first time JJP did this by taking $1K off the retail off DI LE to make the SE, which you could do with leaving off powder, shaker, invisiglass. As the LE prices increased, more stuff had to be cut, which is why the next two pins, Wonka and GnR had playfield stuff removed (more in line with how Stern does it from Prem/LE down to Pro) to make SE versions, and those stripped games were a lot less desirable, so almost no one bought them. Taking $1k off Toy Story 4 isn't going to do anything positive for sales. The SE would have to be like $2.5k less to get it under $10k and then enough would have been cut that no one would want it. Lose-lose.

DISE actually had a shaker.

B131B551-5B20-48BA-B61E-6AD7D35B2982 (resized).pngB131B551-5B20-48BA-B61E-6AD7D35B2982 (resized).png

#5073 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Shaker was on all models till Wonka which dipped in SE price 500 from DI.

#5074 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Right, but that was only the first time JJP did this by taking $1K off the retail off DI LE to make the SE, which you could do with leaving off powder, shaker, invisiglass. As the LE prices increased, more stuff had to be cut, which is why the next two pins, Wonka and GnR had playfield stuff removed (more in line with how Stern does it from Prem/LE down to Pro) to make SE versions, and those stripped games were a lot less desirable, so almost no one bought them. Taking $1k off Toy Story 4 isn't going to do anything positive for sales. The SE would have to be like $2.5k less to get it under $10k and then enough would have been cut that no one would want it. Lose-lose.

Pretty sure POTC SE was also 1K cheaper than LE (8500 vs 9500). Ah, but they also changed the GI to all white in the SE model so probably not comparable.

#5075 1 year ago
Quoted from Palmer:

Pretty sure POTC SE was also 1K cheaper than LE (8500 vs 9500). Ah, but they also changed the GI to all white in the SE model so probably not comparable.

Ah, right. PotC. Forgot about that one. They also took out some of the PF decoration like the rock on the left, left out the topper, no starfield (no loss at all). Also an unpopular SE.

#5076 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Ah, right. PotC. Forgot about that one. They also took out some of the PF decoration like the rock on the left, left out the topper, no starfield (no loss at all). Also an unpopular SE.

I was ao close to buying one back in the day and didn't. Still kicking myself to this day, as the game is so so good.

#5077 1 year ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I was ao close to buying one back in the day and didn't. Still kicking myself to this day, as the game is so so good.

I bought one and ended up selling it for 12.5K. No ragerts!

#5078 1 year ago

I am glad to see a distro discounting this game, will be interesting to see if others follow suit. Wonder if itwill drop to SE level?

#5079 1 year ago
Quoted from rob3:

Yeah. All this repeating your negative sentiment and basically celebrating/hoping that a $15k investment will drop by 33% overnight is not what a community needs. It’s trolling.

Just as much as the transparents defending purchases. Heaven vs Hell yo.

#5080 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Why would you think things like royalties... that are completely negotiated fees.. and vary depending on what you actually use... as fixed or similar between games?
Or even that development costs are fixed?

Because that's literally the definition of a fixed cost. Econ 101: fixed costs = you pay it once regardless of how many units you produce. Variable cost = increases when you produce more units.

Cost to develop/design the pin is fixed. (Technically it's also sunk once you've spent it.) Royalties, manufacturing labor, parts, etc. are variable costs.

Edit: If JJP's royalty rates and licensing fees for TS4 are significantly higher than Stern's for Mando, then JJP needs to fire their BD department.

#5081 1 year ago
Quoted from underlord:

Just as much as the transparents defending purchases. Heaven vs Hell yo.

I don't think we need to open up a trans front on the battle.

#5082 1 year ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

I am glad to see a distro discounting this game, will be interesting to see if others follow suit. Wonder if itwill drop to SE level?

So… what are the odds a distro selling CE for a discount??? Or would this apply to LE’s right now?

#5083 1 year ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

So… what are the odds a distro selling CE for a discount??? Or would this apply to LE’s right now?

I do not think you will see CE discounted, although it is hard for me to believe spots for CE's are not even worth 1,000.

I am only aware of discounts from MSRP on LE's

#5084 1 year ago
Quoted from koji:

I don’t think CGC has any license fees. Re: TS4, paying Tim Allen for one, they can’t pay him enough for what he’s worth, so I think we’re lucky he’s in it at all. Who knows what Disney charges for the license, but I’ve heard Toy Story's one of the top 5 licenses out there (behind Star Wars, marvel, etc). I’m starting to think the people that are complaining about not having enough cheap plastic and metal toys are the same ones that spill their beer and tackle a child for a free tee-shirt at the hockey game. It’s sad watching people mad at an object. And as a buyer, I don’t like it because of a fomo investment, it’s a damn good game, and I’m excited to share my thoughts with other people that have played it! I’m a little mad at myself for continuing to look at this thread.

#5085 1 year ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

Not impossible, but probably low since distros that priced at 60% markups still sold out of CEs. The only way I could envision CE inventories build at distros is if a lot people cancel their pre-orders.

#5086 1 year ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

Where are you seeing a distributor discounting a Toy Story LE? I have searched around and I am not finding any.

#5087 1 year ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

Patience young Padawan. Flow soon the discounts will...

#5088 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I don't think we need to open up a trans front on the battle.

???

#5089 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Right, but that was only the first time JJP did this by taking $1K off the retail off DI LE to make the SE, which you could do with leaving off powder, shaker, invisiglass. As the LE prices increased, more stuff had to be cut, which is why starting with jjPotC, and continuing with Wonka and GnR playfield stuff was removed (more in line with how Stern does it from Prem/LE down to Pro) to make SE versions, and those stripped games were a lot less desirable, so almost no one bought them. Taking $1k off Toy Story 4 isn't going to do anything positive for sales. The SE would have to be like $2.5k less to get it under $10k and then enough would have been cut that no one would want it. Lose-lose.

This is a good idea to get a model to $9500, too bad it won’t work for an SE. Putting TS4 in the pro model tier, price would need to be down to $7k tops. Feature wise, TS4 is more like the home edition, $4500. Price is a feature and in this case way too high at the moment.

#5090 1 year ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Patience young Padawan. Flow soon the discounts will...

My impatience got the best of me

Already put my deposit for a CE. Guess I’ll be the one to take the NIB hit.

#5092 1 year ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

My impatience got the best of me
Already put my deposit for a CE. Guess I’ll be the one to take the NIB hit.

Wait, so you broke down and got an LE to play while waiting for your CE in the fall?

#5093 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Wait, so you broke down and got an LE to play while waiting for your CE in the fall?

No sir… always targeted the CE. I was only curious about the validity of a discount already being applied to the LE.

If I had enough funds I would get WOZ and TS4 instead of 2 TS4’s.

#5094 1 year ago

A7770AB4-6EF4-4889-ABC8-BDC579B7565A (resized).jpegA7770AB4-6EF4-4889-ABC8-BDC579B7565A (resized).jpeg

#5095 1 year ago
Quoted from at_t_2d:

Where are you seeing a distributor discounting a Toy Story LE? I have searched around and I am not finding any.

Second this. Did I miss a post somewhere?

#5096 1 year ago
Quoted from explosiveegg:

As someone who hasn't played it yet, there are a ton of contradictory statements.
A lot of people say it's too easy. While another group of people say those outlanes and pops are drain machines. Can't an owner setup their game to be as difficult as they want it to be?
Some people have said the shots are too open. While other people complain that the lock shot, scoop, skill shot, jump shot, and warp target are difficult. Isn't it better to have a good mix of easy and hard shots?
People complain about the flipper feel while other people are saying they're the best feeling JJP flippers. If you don't hate other JJP games flippers, this is a good sign.
There has also been a lot of love and hate for the jump shot. Some people say it's so buttery smooth, others saying it's janky and unsatisfying.
At least both camps tend to agree that it is fun game and expensive.

This pin must be played before judged.

I was on the negative side until I played it for 2 hours and wanted more. Once I learned the rules and objectives it got much more fun. The Road trip shot is right on the end of the flipper much like Godzilla scoop. So it's the perfect amount of challenge/reward imo. The volume adjustment on the front of cabinet is nice too.

#5097 1 year ago
Quoted from Av8:

This pin must be played before judged.
I was on the negative side until I played it for 2 hours and wanted more. Once I learned the rules and objectives it got much more fun. The Road trip shot is right on the end of the flipper much like Godzilla scoop. So it's the perfect amount of challenge/reward imo. The volume adjustment on the front of cabinet is nice too.

Great...did u order one? Plenty on the market

#5098 1 year ago

Man just got through reading post from the last 2 days it took a little while but wow people were going at it. I found myself agreeing n disagreeing at times n laughing at different times n going man that’s not nice but damn I enjoyed it not a dull moment. Lol

#5099 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:I agree with that Ptown. The Toy Story 4 theme was a major letdown for most.
Raising the price to $15k and 1,000 units from $12,500 and 500 units was a bit crazy but I get why they did it. Plus they aren’t like Stern pumping out games. It’s been 18 months since GNR which has been their biggest seller, beating out WOZ.
It looks like a really fun game but their shouldn’t be any FOMO rush to go grab one unless you it’s a dream theme, you have kids, etc etc
Stern has been much “incremental” in their price increases but they have come a long ways also

My guess is a fairly high percentage of buyers purchase these games sight unseen thinking theres zero risk in the purchase. If they don't like the game they just flip for a profit (mainly LE's and CE's). JJP doubled the CE numbers and eliminated the flipper profit right out of the gate so my guess is sales will be down due to the fiscal risk to the flippers regardless if the game is good or not.

#5100 1 year ago
Quoted from big-c66:

Man just got through reading post from the last 2 days it took a little while but wow people were going at it. I found myself agreeing n disagreeing at times n laughing at different times n going man that’s not nice but damn I enjoyed it not a dull moment. Lol

And that’s what it ought to be, entertaining and “pedantic”.

Laugh a little bit and have some fun discussing a new pin. None of it is gonna change anything.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cherry Valley, CA
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

9,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Olive Township, NJ
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 35.00
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Little Egg Harbor, NJ
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 11,500.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 11,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 299.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Eville Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 16.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 6,049 posts in this topic. You are on page 102 of 121.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-toy-story/page/102?hl=manadams and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.