Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Roamin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

I am thankful this is my first post needing help after all these years. Mainly because my searches yielded the answers to my questions as you all are awesome. But this one I'm stumped.

I installed a Jersey Jack topper on my Willy Wonka and it worked glorious for roughly two minutes. Standing in awe with the family, the machine went dark as did the topper. I power cycled with the switch under the cabinet and heard a coil locking on but nothing more. I did this a couple of times but stopped when smoke came out of the CPU metal box area. I cant see anything burnt, but the fan for the CPU smells of smoke.

I hooked the topper up to the blue wires as directed in the instructions and tried the paperclip jumper. I am getting voltage to the I/O with the red led's lit, but it seems at times I don't on a power cycle. It looks like the power supply isn't supply voltage out but has 120v coming in. i confirmed i do have voltage at the service outlet.

I appreciate the help from you all over the years and am thankful for the help.

#2 2 years ago

Disconnect the topper is the first thing I would do. Then standard computer troubleshooting starting with the power supply.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Disconnect the topper is the first thing I would do. Then standard computer troubleshooting starting with the power supply.

I appreciate the response. I did right away unplug the topper with no change. I agree, with the power supply not producing any voltage, I would suspect this to be the problem. I am fearful if the power supply failed, it caused a spike in voltage (stretching here) and caused damage to the CPU is why it smoked.

I unfortunately have a test board with a power supply attached to it but unable to swap it with the one in the backbox.

#4 2 years ago

Fill out a service ticket with JJP. Burnt smell sounds like you need a board/repair.

#5 2 years ago

Oh man, FWIW I have never heard of that either. Really unexpected...

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from stoolz:

I hooked the topper up to the blue wires as directed in the instructions and tried the paperclip jumper. I am getting voltage to the I/O with the red led's lit, but it seems at times I don't on a power cycle.

I agree about opening a service ticket with JJP.

If you’re continuing on your own can you explain the part I quoted in a little more detail? I’m reading you hooked up the topper to the blue wires and used the paperclip jumper but that doesn’t make sense because your topper should be disconnected now.

In Butch’s video about jump starting he instructs you to hold the paper in place until you see text, then remove it. What he doesn’t mention is if you hold it longer than four seconds the power supply interprets this as an OFF signal and will shut down. Imagine you’re starting your computer. Press the button and let go, don’t hold it down.

You can also test the power supply alone if you disconnect the large (20 or 20+4 pin) connector from the PCB and then jumper using Butch’s method. Your power supply fan should come on but nothing else will since it’s disconnected.

This is similar to the tester I use: https://www.amazon.com/Computer-PC-Tester-Connectors-Enclosure/dp/B076CLNPPK
Note that if you use this one your 12v2 will show low since it’s not provided by that connector.

#7 2 years ago

If smoke came out of the power supply, I wouldn't bother testing it. Even if it outputs correct voltages, unless he puts the smoke back inside it can't be trusted.

And since I don't think he has the skills to put the magic smoke back in.. He's better off using another power supply if he wants to test the motherboard. If it's still under warranty I'd definitely go that way. Don't trust a 200-300$ damaged part to keep your very expensive toy in safe condition.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-topper-killed-my-willy-wonka?hl=roamin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.