By solarvalue

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Please indicate which situation below best describes your intentions:”

• I was thinking of buying/have a deposit on DI and I still intend to buy DI 40 votes
    11%
  • I was thinking of buying/have a deposit on DI but I intend to buy POTC instead 19 votes
    5%
  • I was thinking of buying/have a deposit on DI and I also intend to buy POTC 20 votes
    5%
  • I have already bought DI and I intend to sell it to buy POTC 6 votes
    2%
  • I have already bought DI and I intend to buy POTC as well 70 votes
    19%
  • I have already bought DI and I do not intend to buy POTC 36 votes
    10%
  • I was not thinking of buying DI but I intend to buy POTC 82 votes
    22%
  • I was not thinking of buying DI but I intend to buy DI now that I have seen POTC 7 votes
    2%
  • I was not thinking of buying DI and I do not intend to buy POTC 98 votes
    26%

(378 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PS Logo (resized).jpg
22219835_10214556441252724_5804174952937287792_o (resized).jpg
There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 6 years ago

I thought this might be an interesting poll to run after I heard Nate of Coast to Coast Pinball and others on here saying that the new JJP POTC might take sales away from DI.

Please indicate your intentions in the poll.

#2 6 years ago

I said this in another thread, but they should consider offering a discount when people order both DILE and JJPOTC LE together. I am sure there are several people that would order DILE if they could get a $1500 discount on the combo. Otherwise many likely will only order the one they think is better of the two, and then additional money/sales may go to other manufacturers such as CGC, Stern, and American Pinball.

#4 6 years ago

Yore pole reminds me of those get paid to take surveys crap I used to do when I lost my job...

#5 6 years ago

I like yore style.

#6 6 years ago

Option Z - Pirates are cool, but selfies and emojies piss me off

#7 6 years ago

What a dumb ass thread. OP just wants attention.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

I like yore style.

That made me laugh.

#9 6 years ago

Can't afford either one so I don't think about them....except for this survey.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Can't afford either one so I don't think about them....except for this survey

I'm with you MP but i do like the look of the pirates machine

#11 6 years ago

Add 20 more pole options for more realistic and accurate results.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Nonsense. Sell your ride. I like the sound of PiratePaul better, anyway.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I'll wait for the fourth-hand market because that's the only time I could afford one. That is if they go down in value each resale.

#14 6 years ago

Neither.

More interested in GOTG and Iron Maiden IF IF IF, Stern can get their act together again and not take their customers for granted anymore.

Especially regarding great code and finishing code.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Especially regarding great code and finishing code.

Don’t buy until it’s at a level of acceptability. That’s the only way to not get on that train.

Keeping in mind that Stern changed the way they were doing things. Most games (not BM66) are shipping with more complete code, and it then gets bug fixes and minor changes in the field. They don’t get the polish at the end, but are “good enough” to avoid the #wheresthecode crowd.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Keeping in mind that Stern changed the way they were doing things. Most games (not BM66) are shipping with more complete code, and it then gets bug fixes and minor changes in the field. They don’t get the polish at the end, but are “good enough” to avoid the #wheresthecode crowd.

I'm not trying to detract the topic but i've always wondered how Stern get away with that, it's almost akin to selling cars that are missing a handbrake, etc. Doing bug fixes later is fair enough, nothing is perfect, just seems sometimes there is some really relevant bits missing at the start.

#17 6 years ago

I think it's a good poll and it's interesting to get people's reactions.

I was seriously thinking about a DI as my first and only pin (since I like how it plays so much) but decided to wait instead to see what jjp4 was all about.

I had no interest in potc's theme but after seeing the reveal and other videos, I'm almost at the point of ordering.

I also liked the interview with Jack and Eric. It's fascinating to hear the back story behind the choice of theme, how they got Eric on board and some of the decisions and challenges that went into bringing the game to fruition.

#18 6 years ago

i was thinking of buying DI but i saw POTC so i intend to buy an old TMNT project cuz i realized i already own DI, i have never played POTC, and i'm really really drunk. (1 vote)

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

i was thinking of buying DI but i saw POTC so i intend to buy an old TMNT project cuz i realized i already own DI, i have never played POTC, and i'm really really drunk.

That was the 10th option but, alas, Pinside only allows for 9.

#20 6 years ago

Huge pole........

1 option was as close as I could get, but my take:

I will never own DI
I'm purchasing a POTC

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from AaronJames:

What a dumb ass thread. OP just wants attention.

Come dude that's not fair. He's just trying to get a question answerd & it isn't like he cross posted this link in 10 goddamn threa....oh what a dick.

#22 6 years ago

Going wirh Houdini. Will consider JJPotc in the new year, say June when there shipping in good numbers.

#23 6 years ago

Pirates wins hands down, DI is a good game, but really to me looks like Rollercoaster Tycoon II (cool layout, bad theme)

#24 6 years ago

This thread is stupid.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

This thread is stupid.

Agreed, only because it will never be an actual representation of what actually happens. Appreciate Ops intent, but no way will #7 be allowed to overtake #5 on here, regardless of reality.....easy prediction....POTC will dramatically be better received and outsell DI....really, really appreciate JJP for bringing this title to fruition....

#26 6 years ago

where is the option. Would like to buy both, but think the price is ridiculous and can't justify it. Could also have, would buy DI if priced less. Would buy POTC if priced less.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

where is the option. Would like to buy both, but think the price is ridiculous and can't justify it. Could also have, would buy DI if priced less. Would buy POTC if priced less.

Dont need a poll for that...its a given....

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

I'll wait for the fourth-hand market because that's the only time I could afford one. That is if they go down in value each resale.

I'd probably have to wait for the 7th or 8th hand market myself.

BUT, I have been house hunting, and it's been really difficult to not secretly tack on an extra $8K to the mortgage to bring home a Dialed In--as fiscally irresponsible as that is.

JJPOTC looks fantastic, but Dialed In has that je ne sais quoi. Something tells me that'll be the game that's remembered.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Come dude that's not fair. He's just trying to get a question answerd & it isn't like he cross posted this link in 10 goddamn threa....oh what a dick.

Sorry about that, I didn't realise it was against the rules, I learnt something today.

#30 6 years ago

Yes roll the game purchase into your mortgage! That's the American way!

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from Vdrums:

Yes roll the game purchase into your mortgage! That's the American way!

'Murica! Just to be clear, I would never do such a thing, but man... What a tempting proposition! What's an extra $8K on top of $250K anyhow!? A spit in the ocean!

#32 6 years ago

If you buy a million dollar house its less then 1 percent.

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

'Murica! Just to be clear, I would never do such a thing, but man... What a tempting proposition! What's an extra $8K on top of $250K anyhow!? A spit in the ocean!

I’m thinking of doing that very thing. Although I can’t remember when houses (or units) were that cheap. Average 3-4 bedroom house here is about $550k AUD ($430 USD). If you want room for pinball machines, add an extra $100-200k AUD. When you are in debt for that much, who gives a shit about another 13k. If you live in Sydney then you won’t get much change (if any) out of 1.2 million AUD.

#34 6 years ago

Well, looks like voting has dropped off, so time to have a look at the results.

The aim of the poll was to see if the release of POTC had hurt potential DI sales. Of the 241 votes. Only 11 people chose "I was thinking of buying/have a deposit on DI but I intend to buy POTC instead". If we take the 6 people who chose "I was not thinking of buying DI but I intend to buy DI now that I have seen POTC" off this total, we can conclude that JJP had a net loss of 5 DI sales from the surveyed group.

So, it would seem that JJP made the right decision by not delaying the release of POTC to try to get more DI sales.

#35 6 years ago

I'm in the minority of people who have DI -only got mine 2 weeks ago, who'd sell it for POTC. I just right from the start have never had any feeling for the Dialed In theme itself right back to the announcement - I was swayed by friends in the trade who'd assured me it was a machine I would 'have to have' in my collection. The flow-on effect is the machine doesn't get any real 'buy-in' from me when I'm playing it so I don't really engage with it and get drawn into the game play the way I should. Each to their own I guess, probably the first machine I've really gone against the tide on in all the time I've owned machines.

#36 6 years ago

I still have a WOZ woody . I can only buy one JJP . WOZ 2.0 RR I think is the way to go for me. There is time JJP will be producing DI/Hobbit/POTC for years. There is a new batch of WOZ RR to be manufactured very soon .

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from Our_Man_in_Oz:

The flow-on effect is the machine doesn't get any real 'buy-in' from me when I'm playing it so I don't really engage with it and get drawn into the game play the way I should.

I'm not even sure punctuation would help make this clear.

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Haha. As a DI owner this game has no impact on my decision. Wide body, different theme and feel I don't see why anyone would not but DI bc of this game and that's illustrated in results. Now I can see myself owning it even though I don't like the theme but that's bc it's a diff game than DI.

DI is sick btw.

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Haha. As a DI owner this game has no impact on my decision. Wide body, different theme and feel I don't see why anyone would not but DI bc of this game and that's illustrated in results. Now I can see myself owning it even though I don't like the theme but that's bc it's a diff game than DI.
DI is sick btw.

I agree. They are two completely different games. Both great and wonderful in their own regards.

#40 6 years ago

I can't afford either, but I would rather have the original theme of "dialed in", even though I'm not crazy about the name.

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

I'd probably have to wait for the 7th or 8th hand market myself.
BUT, I have been house hunting, and it's been really difficult to not secretly tack on an extra $8K to the mortgage to bring home a Dialed In--as fiscally irresponsible as that is.
JJPOTC looks fantastic, but Dialed In has that je ne sais quoi. Something tells me that'll be the game that's remembered.

Quoted from PinSinner:

I’m thinking of doing that very thing. Although I can’t remember when houses (or units) were that cheap. Average 3-4 bedroom house here is about $550k AUD ($430 USD). If you want room for pinball machines, add an extra $100-200k AUD. When you are in debt for that much, who gives a shit about another 13k. If you live in Sydney then you won’t get much change (if any) out of 1.2 million AUD.

Ahh f*ck it man! That is exactly what I DID. I bought my TAF and LOTR as house warming presents that way.
1) It was the only way I could get the money for the games at the time.
2) Interest was only 3.5%. A hell of a lot cheaper to a regular loan.
3) I'll be dead before my house is payed off so who the F cares if it was an extra 9 grand.
4) I buy my games to play not an investment. Yeah I'm losing money on them because of a little interest. But hey!! I've been playing my games for two years now. And when I'm done typing this I'm gonna grab a beer and play some more.

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Considering the many forums I've participated on over the years and many thousand posts (just not on this one), this doesn't happen too often. I always go to efforts to try to get my point across effectively.. I sometimes tag thoughts together (with a dash) as it often makes it easier to get related sentiments across. My issue with DI isn't exactly an easy one to verbalise and, hence the difficulty in getting my point across (effectively).. But lets have another go.. What I'm saying here is from day one the DI theme bugged me. When a theme doesn't sit well it can go right to your core and colour your perception of the entire game, sucking the enjoyment out it (or taking your focus away) when you play it. I can't really explain it any other way than that. POTC on the other hand is a theme I've always liked. To that point, I even owned Stern POTC for a time and didn't mind it even though it's a pretty average mid 2000's Stern.

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from Our_Man_in_Oz:

What I'm saying here is from day one the DI theme bugged me. When a theme doesn't sit well it can go right to your core and colour your perception of the entire game, sucking the enjoyment out it (or taking your focus away) when you play it. I can't really explain it any other way than that.

That explains it perfectly, well said sir.

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

No legal way to pull that off on a federally-backed purchase loan. Very doable on a cash-out refi. Spread that puppy over 30 years and write off the interest.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

I thought this might be an interesting poll to run after I heard Nate of Coast to Coast Pinball and others on here saying that the new JJP POTC might take sales away from DI.
Please indicate your intentions in the poll.

I was going to buy DI or AFMr but instead bought Woz (I played DI, just didn't do it for me at $9000), not saying it's that bad but to me Woz takes the cake. (plus I got the newest Woz RR with RadCals basically $9500 used for $8300 ~ same as AFM LE or DI base).

After which it would be down to DI, JJPOTC, TNA or AFMr because Stern is dead to me.

I picked TNA because it's such a different type of pin and my collection could use something that is a little out there, plus I want to support Spooky and Scott. Not that I don't want to support JJP but I think there is a ton of weight there and they'll sell thousands of both DI and JJPOTC so I went with a pin TNA that may not sell thousands may only sell a few hundred the underdog.

I have not played JJPOTC yet but if had to choose today, probably would pick that over DI but can't say truly put my money where my mouth is, but heck I think JJP will be making them for years to come. And if there is a reason, just looks like more shots and I like the theme of PotC as that was one of my first pins and it'd be nice to have both versions. Plus the ship looks very cool (as compared to the super PF area in DI which is just a piece of plastic with a hole in it). Have not played JJPOTC but the ship upper PF looks phenomenal.

lastly I'm married so I need to limit my pin purchases to something like one every 6-9 months (unless something goes out the door).

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

I still have a WOZ woody . I can only buy one JJP . WOZ 2.0 RR I think is the way to go for me. There is time JJP will be producing DI/Hobbit/POTC for years. There is a new batch of WOZ RR to be manufactured very soon .

Obviously I don't know all, I don't know anything about JJPOTC and I only have a 20 or so games played on DI so I can not say.

But you are spot on with Woz IMO, I have owned pinball machines for 14 years owned 18 different pins and a lot of the heavy hitters TZ, IJ, both ST and STTNG etc. and lots of top Stern pins but I feel Woz is clearly the best one of any that I have owned.

I don't think it's essential to buy it before it stops production because they will be for sale for as long as I live, but to me having the RR with 2.0 and the RadCals is just the best version (some may disagree but as my opinion 2.0 RR is the top dog). Plus knowing JJP there is not a lot to say they won't toss in a newer version of DI or JJPOTC to goose sales in a year or so. But to me Woz is probably near the end of the sales curve it came out in 2013 (I think).

I am a big fan of great code and so Tspp and LotR etc.. I won't list all the great code games, but Woz is just as good (really better because of the way it uses it's lighting effects that older games could never do, and even a game like ST which could change it's color didn't really use the intensity setting as much as WoZ does). Anyway, I don't know if DI or JJPOTC will be as beautifully coded as Woz but I do know that Woz had years when it was in development and years when people were waiting for TH so it's pretty much been to the end of the earth with the time on the code probably more than any pin ever made so I think I will still be discovering new things with Woz and learning new ways to stack or score for years to come.

I am sure JJPOTC has more modes but as seen with TH and with my ST which had a lot of modes but they all felt the same or weren't memorable. I mean probably you could make 100 modes for ST if you just wanted to make more modes. Just change the DMD animation and say hit this light shot or that light shot. It's more important than the number of modes they need to be memorable and to me Woz has a lot of that, even the out lain games are intense when I have the shot for Toto finally lined up for the score but just one second too late (priceless).

#47 6 years ago

I went to a show today which had both DI and POTC. POTC looks a lot like WOZ and TH whereas, visually, DI is more like the old Bally/Williams games.

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

I went to a show today which had both DI and POTC. POTC looks a lot like WOZ and TH whereas visually, DI is more like the old Bally/Williams games.

Which one did you like better?

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Which one did you like better?

I didn't get a chance to play POTC, the line was too long. Hopefully I'll get a chance to play it soon.

#50 6 years ago

Having a little guy at home that enjoys Woz. I ordered Di after seeing the revel. Pirates looks to having a really intense rule sheet. It just didn't look like a family pin to me. I am waiting for toy story.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Erie, CO
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Sacramento, CA
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

7,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Carlisle, PA
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Lighting - Led
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-survey-dialed-in-vs-pirates-of-the-caribbean?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.