You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

hobbit-dragon-smaug-lego-1.jpg
WOZ_full.png
The+Hobbit+Pinball+Playfield.jpg
image.jpg

There are 106 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 10 years ago

That backramp reminds me of fishtales a lot.

I love fishtales. I love LOTR and the hobbit. Must have this game...

#52 10 years ago

I like the habitrail helix going around SMAUG and down to the left flipper return lane.

LTG : )

#53 10 years ago

Maybe it's just me and the early WOZ incarnation may have been similar, but this seems so simplistic compared to the tons of toys and features included in the Wizard of Oz Machine. I'm a bit disappointed.

#54 10 years ago

Maybe it's just me and the early WOZ incarnation may have been similar, but this seems so simplistic compared to the tons of toys and features included in the Wizard of Oz Machine. I'm a bit disappointed.

Compare it to an early WOZ drawing.

WOZ_full.pngWOZ_full.png

#55 10 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

Because they will come out around the same time, competing for dollars?

...and because people are giving a Hobbit deposit (maybe 2 or 3) before we get to see what Star Trek even looks like. Hell, I don't think it's even been confirmed yet, right?

#56 10 years ago

TH also a Widebody or is it a STD body?

#58 10 years ago

Curious if any of the pop ups will be scoops like TOM

#59 10 years ago

All JJP games will be widebodies.

#60 10 years ago

I think it looks pretty neat. Tons of drop targets, tons of ramps, looks like a game a button masher like me can enjoy.

#61 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

All JJP games will be widebodies.

I thought so, But I wasn't 100% sure and I was wondering.. Thanks for answering for me guys!

#62 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

and because people are giving a Hobbit deposit (maybe 2 or 3) before we get to see what Star Trek even looks like.

I'm pretty sure Star Trek LE (if announced and produced) will have no issue moving units, Hobbit or no Hobbit. And dollars to donuts, it hits the streets well before Hobbit does.

Do you honestly believe that Stern may not sell out of a ST LE due to Hobbit pre-orders?

I just don't get the pre-order thing. Play it, like it, buy it. No disappointment that way.

#63 10 years ago

Well, from the WOZ drawing above, the following features are mentioned: Haunted Forest, Crystal Ball, Throne Room, House, Munchkinland, Witch, Witch's Castle, Winkie Guards, Emerald City, Flying Monkey. From the complete Hobbit Drawing: Smaug. So, unless Smaug tap dances across the playfield this seems pretty simplistic compared to WOZ

#64 10 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

Play it, like it, buy it. No disappointment that way.

Stern or JJP it's pay before you play. Seems to be working...

#65 10 years ago

Hmmmmm. Does the game look like it "could" include a cheaper BOM?

#66 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Stern or JJP it's pay before you play.

Hmm, that's odd. Only title I have not had a chance to play before buying was Tron LE. Had to settle for a pro instead.

#67 10 years ago
Quoted from TZBen:

Hmmmmm. Does the game look like it "could" include a cheaper BOM?

It doesn't have 2 upper playfields like WOZ does but it's plenty feature packed! 4 pop up trolls, 3 drop target banks w/ standups behind, criss crossing ramp with diverter and newton ball, 4 flippers, kickback, lots of habitrails, giant smaug toy, etc. Besides WOZ, I'd think you'd have to go back to the early/mid 90's to find another machine with as much stuff loaded in it.

#68 10 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

Only title I have not had a chance to play before buying was TRON LE.

Yeah, I think AC/DC, Avengers, Metallica, WOZ, Hobbit, Star Trek...sold out before anyone played one......right?

#69 10 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

It doesn't have 2 upper playfields like WOZ does

I'm happy there are no upper mini-playfields.

#70 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Yeah, I think AC/DC, Avengers, Metallica, WOZ, Hobbit, Star Trek...sold out before anyone played one......right?

That's odd, I could have sworn all those titles mentioned have been sold on this very forum. After being released. Maybe I misread. Except Hobbit, since it is not sold out or released, and ST, since it has not sold out, nor been announced.

#71 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I'm happy there are no upper mini-playfields.

I agree. I have a WOZ on order and I'm excited that the Hobbit is a totally new (and different) design. The Hobbit seems like it's kind of a "best of" pin of many different era's of pinball. The 3 drop target banks remind me of early Bally SS, the somewhat symmetrical playfield design is reminiscent of Big Guns, the "boat ramp" with diverter is reminiscent of Fish Tales, and the Trolls and Smaug toy are like MM. I think it looks great so far and I'm excited to see more!

#72 10 years ago

I agree! Only a few weeks to decide....

#73 10 years ago

Someone else mentioned that maybe the pop-ups aren't trolls, but Smaug's tail. I think that would be an awesome touch! A very, interactive, mechanical toy that messes with your ball not only when it is in his area, but also throughout the playfield! There's no escape!

#74 10 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I agree. I have a WOZ on order and I'm excited that the Hobbit is a totally new (and different) design. The Hobbit seems like it's kind of a "best of" pin of many different era's of pinball. The 3 drop target banks remind me of early Bally SS, the somewhat symmetrical playfield design is reminiscent of Big Guns, the "boat ramp" with diverter is reminiscent of Fish Tales, and the Trolls and Smaug toy are like MM. I think it looks great so far and I'm excited to see more!

We could call it the Tales of the Big Medieval Fish Trolls!

#75 10 years ago

looks great!!!

#76 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

looks great!!!

Less filling...

#77 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Less filling...

The Hobbit... Less filling, smoother flow.

#78 10 years ago

Looks cool

#79 10 years ago

looks fast, i like long shots, empty playfields

i still don't like the tv screen in the backbox

#80 10 years ago

So Smaug is a giant dragon?

#81 10 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

So Smaug is a giant dragon?

Yeah, I kept thinking he was the orc even though i've seen the movies 3 times. I wonder how the necromancer will be involved

#82 10 years ago

Ok I just saw the pics from the book..it will be a dragon sleeping on top of a mountain of gold coins and treasure stuff....so in essence there is mountain there, it is a mountain of treasure.

Edit: Comapred to WOZ they definitely simplified stuff that's for sure...

hobbit-dragon-smaug-lego-1.jpghobbit-dragon-smaug-lego-1.jpg

#83 10 years ago
Quoted from tb2767:

So, unless Smaug tap dances across the playfield this seems pretty simplistic compared to WOZ

For my tastes this playfield looks a lot more fun to shoot than WOZ. And that's not a knock on WOZ. Just that "simpler" doesn't necessarily mean not as good. Isn't AFM a simpler design than Popeye?

#84 10 years ago

I'll be honest, I like the toys in WOZ. This is a little simpler than I was hoping for. That said - you won't find me cancelling my order for THLE

#85 10 years ago

Long shots Wpt style that has some Fish Tale in it.......and not sure what else

#86 10 years ago
Quoted from toro1966:

I'll be honest, I like the toys in WOZ. This is a little simpler than I was hoping for. That said - you won't find me cancelling my order for THLE

I'll be honest to, there is more than meets the eye with this pinball most likely.

#87 10 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Long shots Wpt style that has some Fish Tale in it.......and not sure what else

Love that style. In fact that is why I like Capcom Kingpin so much. Another classic Mark Ritchie Fish Tales design style.

#88 10 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

I'll be honest to, there is more than meets the eye with this pinball most likely.

I'm hoping. But I was all in when I saw the theme. The LOTR franchise has been my favorite book - then movie - for nearly 40 years. Can't wait!

#89 10 years ago

This is going to be a winner!!

#90 10 years ago
Quoted from Kevin_LHeureux:

Love that style. In fact that is why I like Capcom Kingpin so much.

Exactly.

This layout fits my style/preference way more than WOZ does.

#91 10 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

+1000

#92 10 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Ding Ding Ding Ding.

We have a winner.

#93 10 years ago

This will be JJP's best game so far

#94 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Ding Ding Ding Ding.
We have a winner.

WHAT DO YOU KNOW LLOYD. TELL US.

#95 10 years ago

yea Lloyd spill it! I think Jack would really appreciate it! Really!

#96 10 years ago

I think it'd be cool if part of the playfield opened up, sort of like the trap door in the hobbit when they fall into the orc mountain thing.

#97 10 years ago

does anyone have ideas what the mech is at the very top middle? It doesn't look like a diverter it looks a little more complex than that!

#98 10 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

It does look that way. Also who knows if JJP will do something different with the 4 pop up targets in the middle. I just don't see JJP doing 4 trolls and calling it a day. A number of unique things could be done with those targets.

#99 10 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

But they can sure get in the way of the lower flippers.
Reminds me of F-14 with the flippers in that regard.

That was my first thought.

Note also though the "troll" flaps blocking shots from lower flippers but not upper flippers.

#100 10 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

does anyone have ideas what the mech is at the very top middle? It doesn't look like a diverter it looks a little more complex than that!

I think it is a diverter for the various ramp shots, some of which will lead directly to Smaug.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods
Pinball Machine
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods
Other
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pittsburgh, PA
9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 106 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-reveals-more-detail-of-the-hobbit-playfield-design/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.