(Topic ID: 7688)

JJP released prototype cabinet photo

By absocountry2

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

woz-right2.jpg
    woz-left2.jpg
    pinball.jpg
    There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 12 years ago

http://ih.constantcontact.com/fs004/1104524641178/img/102.jpg

They said it is computer generated but they wanted to keep us up to date. I like how the legs and lockdown are dark green. I think the dark looks good. Wonder if it will have any meatl flake in the paint

#2 12 years ago

well, i can tell you my first rating for cabinet art is "not so good" and backglass art is "decent".

#3 12 years ago

I like the cabinet art. It is bright and colors which is meant to draw in the paying customer and not scare anyone's children. The backglass is a bit boring though...

#4 12 years ago

I REALLY dislike the theme in the context of a pinball machine; but given what it is, they did a very nice job with the art IMO. No WOZ related decal/art on the coin door?

#5 12 years ago

I think it looks good,Can't wait to see WOZ and the LCD in action!

#6 12 years ago

Ick they went with the old bally style backbox. Anytime they mount the speakers high it just looks odd.

#7 12 years ago

I think the cab looks better than I expected.

#8 12 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

. Anytime they mount the speakers high

Display closer to the PF glass and a bigger image. I know the LE will have the "non-glare" glass but wonder how the glare will be on the "regular" models.

#9 12 years ago

It appears that the DMD will be intergrated into the LCD Video Backglass?
    I'm guessing that they are going with the retro look of Gottlieb with the speakers on top? Maybe on the left & right of the WOZ logo?

IMO, the backbox sucks.

#10 12 years ago

I hope JJ finds success with this.

With that said, this theme does nothing for me. Pinball has a sort of "rebel" quality to it (still), and WOZ just kills that.

#11 12 years ago
    Quoted from NickBuffaloPinball:

With that said, this theme does nothing for me. Pinball has a sort of "rebel" quality to it (still), and WOZ just kills that.

Agreed. I dont think any mancave should have anything Wizard of Oz in it. Will it come with a Longaberger Basket w/ Boyds Bears topper?

#12 12 years ago

I like it! I think the backbox is gonna look really cool with the LCD on and all animations going on, looking forward to see the final product.

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Ick they went with the old bally style backbox. Anytime they mount the speakers high it just looks odd.

I agree, I also like the speakers lower. I wonder if it was done this way because of the glare. It would look better if the LCD was in the middle for symmetrical reasons.

I would like to see innovation on maintenance things too. Example: With the Pin2000 systems you could take a playfield out within minutes. Might be a huge incentive to operators if they were easier to work on.

#14 12 years ago

What's next, a Sound of Music pin? How about Heidi? They could have it start playing by itself automatically in the 4th quarter of any football game. Really, could they have picked a worse theme?

#15 12 years ago
    Quoted from NickBuffaloPinball:

I hope JJ finds success with this. With that said, this theme does nothing for me. Pinball has a sort of "rebel" quality to it (still), and WOZ just kills that.

I hate to be negative and I really want JJP to have success as well but man the look really does nothing for me at all. Not a fan of speakers on top either. I'm really going to hold back saying some of the things I think of the way it looks out of respect for those that are getting it and the immense amount of work JJP will end up putting into it. I hope it really is a wonderful pin and those getting it love it.

#16 12 years ago

Pink2k was designed to have the playfields swapped. The problem is that the more connections a game has the more likely it is to fail. Most people will never remove the playfield so it stands to reason that they shouldn't add extra connectors. All it does is raise costs and give another place you have to trouble shoot.

#17 12 years ago

A for effort but not my cup of tea. I wish them the best and hope for many pins to come!

#18 12 years ago

I hope that someone operates one in the chicagoland area. I'm not crazy about the looks but great game play trumps all of that IMHO.

#19 12 years ago
    Quoted from SunsetPinball:

I'm not crazy about the looks but great game play trumps all of that IMHO.

If that were true then games like JM and Shadow would sell for a lot more.

Really I hope JJP does well with it and can produce many more pins in the future, but I don't think I could ever own a WOZ without forfeiting my man card.

#20 12 years ago

Terrible ..

#21 12 years ago

Doesn't look very good in my opinion. Hope its fun.

#22 12 years ago
    Quoted from boogies:

I'm guessing that they are going with the retro look of Gottlieb with the speakers on top? Maybe on the left & right of the WOZ logo?

I believe WOZ will actually have an array of speakers, kind of like you would find in a home theater sound bar.

Quoted from jimjim66:

I also like the speakers lower. I wonder if it was done this way because of the glare.

That would be my guess. The lower the LCD is, the higher its reflection will be on the playfield glass. You certainly don't want the glare from the LCD obscuring your view of the flippers.

Quoted from SunsetPinball:

I hope that someone operates one in the Chicagoland area.

I'll be operating one ... in my basement.

#23 12 years ago

What part of the word "PROTOTYPE" *sigh* never mind...
    It is just a mock-up plain and simple.
    No need to grab the torches just yet...

Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

but I don't think I could ever own a WOZ without forfeiting my man card.

Wowwwwwwwwwww......
    I think you are confusing your fishing license with this "man card", GFLM.
    You could always buy a bigger truck to make yourself feel more "adequate", I hear that works really, REALLY well!

#24 12 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Pink2k was designed to have the playfields swapped. The problem is that the more connections a game has the more likely it is to fail. Most people will never remove the playfield so it stands to reason that they shouldn't add extra connectors. All it does is raise costs and give another place you have to trouble shoot.

You're right, I should have been more clear. Bad point/analogy. I was just thinking about any type of innovation that makes them easier to work on. Not bagging on Stern, but it seems they have taken a step backwards in order to save money.

Playfield braces gone, when you do pull a playfield out it doesn't catch, new lock down mechanism, soldering LEDs, etc...

Small things add up, and I realize it increases the BOM, but I do hope they think about the maintenance end.

#25 12 years ago

The highschool level "photo montage" on the cabinet is laughable.

This is not what I would consider acceptable from an artist of any caliber.

#26 12 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

I was just thinking about any type of innovation that makes them easier to work on ...

I would venture to guess there will be some maintenance and diagnostic related features on WOZ that will be light years ahead of anything we have seen before.

#27 12 years ago
    Quoted from Firebaall:

This is not what I would consider acceptable from an artist of any caliber.

HAHAHAH

#28 12 years ago
    Quoted from Firebaall:

Are you serious? The game features original hand painted art by Jerry VanderStelt. The guy is incredibly talented and very well respected.

#29 12 years ago

With that much LCD, who needs a backglass anymore? seriously, I think this is the future. LCD's are cheap cheap cheap. I bet for the price of a dot matrix display + LEd's + artwork printed on glass, you could fill nearly the whole backbox with LCD.

Also for all you harping on the woz theme, I heard from a friend in our club that they did woz because jersey jack already had the license paid for during a redemption project. Might as well take that license and run with it and save 5-10% cost.

#30 12 years ago

I think the art is great for the theme.

#31 12 years ago

This, and the fact that no hand-painted pieces have been revealed on the internet yet. These are computer generated art pieces, and if you go back to the original release you can see this.

#32 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Are you serious? The game features original hand painted art by Jerry VanderStelt. The guy is incredibly talented and very well respected.

It's crap, and anybody with a 20 minute tutorial on photoshop could make garbage like that. That's a fact.

#34 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

That would be my guess. The lower the LCD is, the higher its reflection will be on the playfield glass. You certainly don't want the glare from the LCD obscuring your view of the flippers.

You are right that the higher the LCD, the lower on the playfield the glare reflection is.
    The part that is not so known: The further away, the less the glare reflection.
    I say this as a hyperpin user that has a VERY bright LCD on the top portion (backglass)and a Less bright LCD on bottom portion (DMD). The DMD has much more glare being closer. The Backglass reflection can sometimes be noticed, but is about ALOT less than the DMD.

Being that they are moving the Backglass portion to the bottom, it could be alot stronger reflection than the DMD. The width of the backglass is double the DMD width and the color might be brighter.

#35 12 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

This, and the fact that no hand-painted pieces have been revealed on the internet yet. These are computer generated art pieces, and if you go back to the original release you can see this.

Jack had the actual cabinet artwork at one of the shows and let people see it. There are pics of it out there. The color cabinet art you've been seeing is the artwork Jerry has painted for the game.

#36 12 years ago

You guys that are LCD crazy are forgetting one major set back ! How crappy will the game will look when the game is turned off?

My Pinball machines look amazing on or off, I am not sure the games coming out with LCD will look very impressive in the off position .

Just something to think about .

Jim

#37 12 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

My Pinball machines look amazing on or off, I am not sure the games coming out with LCD will look very impressive in the off position .

How do your DMD screens look when they are off?

#38 12 years ago

That's some nice carpeting. Hope they keep that in the final release

#39 12 years ago

I bet the LCD is a cheap off brand. Not for sure so don't attack me. I would like to change it out for a quality LED screen. Sorry, I sell TV's for a living so I am partial to the quality of the TV. And I pay at cost for TV's which you wouldn't believe the mark up in them.

#40 12 years ago
    Quoted from futurepinhead:

I bet the LCD is a cheap off brand. Not for sure so don't attack me. I would like to change it out for a quality LED screen. Sorry, I sell TV's for a living so I am partial to the quality of the TV. And I pay at cost for TV's which you wouldn't believe the mark up in them.

It's a Wells Gardner. There will be no need to replace it.

#41 12 years ago

Future, I agree with you. I can see Jack saying, "Oh no, we are going with vizio", or something like that... but could be even cheaper.. But if they will offer a warrenty., I could be happy with whatever...

#42 12 years ago

Definitely would never end up in my limited game room. I just can't get by the theme. Looks like more of the Stern style photo-shopping instead of real artwork.

#43 12 years ago
    Quoted from Wizman:

Future, I agree with you. I can see Jack saying, "Oh no, we are going with vizio", or something like that... but could be even cheaper.. But if they will offer a warrenty., I could be happy with whatever...

*sigh* It's not a Vizio. It's a Wells Gardner. If anybody has been following the progress of this machine they should know by now that Jack isn't taking the cheap way out.

http://www.wellsgardner.com/company/

#44 12 years ago

ok then jar jar.....

#45 12 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

You guys that are LCD crazy are forgetting one major set back ! How crappy will the game will look when the game is turned off?

Just something to think about .

Jim

Maybe they will have a Curtain...When it opens it Oz could yell at ya lol

I think if they make the game with the right quotes and enough of gameplay on the darker side... melting witches and flying monkeys, the game could be awesome. If they make the gameplay for Chucky Cheese I am f'ed cause i purchased one...

#46 12 years ago
    Quoted from DougPiranha:

Maybe they will have a Curtain

Oh yeah, that would be great. a green curtain with Oz as soon as it opens..... I would go buy one then just to see that every time I flipped the switch.

#47 12 years ago
    Quoted from DougPiranha:

If they make the gameplay for Chucky Cheese I am f'ed cause i purchased one...

They stated from day one it will not be "cutesy" DP...

#48 12 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

How do your DMD screens look when they are off?

Small,very small compared to a 27 inch display ! I have 32" of pure art work that never tuns off !

Jim

#49 12 years ago
    Quoted from DougPiranha:

Maybe they will have a Curtain...When it opens it Oz could yell at ya

I like it a lot !

Jim

#50 12 years ago

I'm still amazed that people find the thought of a blank screen when the machine is off such a big deal. What do your computer monitors and televisions look like when they're off? Do they bug you hugely in that state?

If so:

1) Just keep the darned thing on all the time. No one will think less of you.

2) Print out a picture of the backglass and stick it over the monitor when you turn it off.

3) Fold the backbox down every time you turn the game off and pretend you plan on moving it somewhere.

4) Maybe someone will sell a conversion kit. It will include a tiny LCD screen like you'd get in a portable DVD Player, and huge backglass artwork. Pull out the 26" LCD and replace with the tiny one.

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-released-prototype-cabinet-photo?responsive=0 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.