Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by adol75
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

wondering what first impressions were on jjp potc since a few people have some plays in.

#2 5 years ago

SS Billiards has the complete JJP lineup, so I can really get a good comparison of the games. I'd argue its their best game yet, right up there with WOZ. I love the loop shot, I lot all the different shots this game has. To me, a perfect game has an upper playfield that helps keep the ball busy when you need more time to make other shots during multiball. The graphics on POTC make WOZ look outdated. I feel like the screen is crisper.

I haven't seen a ton of the lightshow yet, but WOZ might always be the winner here.

#3 5 years ago

still think woz is one of the best ever made.

#4 5 years ago

My thoughts since released are like 2 home use people have received their game, the rest of us wait....

#5 5 years ago

My thoughts are DI is still the best JJP game.

POTC has its charms but the crazy deep rules and constant button-mashing aren't my cup of tea. May be a great game for home owners.

#6 5 years ago

Visually it's a stunning game, but I was ready to move on after a few games, which wasn't what I was expecting.

Granted, I played early code but for me the fun factor just wasn't there.

Pinball, of course, is subjective like food or music. I'm sure some will love the game. It just wasn't for me.

#7 5 years ago

Played a couple games at an arcade at 50 cents a game and really felt no desire to keep playing. I left a few credits and let some kids play it. Maybe I would enjoy more in a home setting. I’ve owned two JJP pins, they seem to get better the more I play them

#8 5 years ago

I’m just done with an afternoon playing it, I jumped in my car the second I saw a location î sf received it.
    It’s a very overwhelming game at first with unclear directions, flashing stuff everywhere and a hypnotic moving boat that keeps catching the eye.
    In time it turns out it’s mostly a game of shots where each chapter requires to shoot different lanes and ramps. Unlike many other pins the top flipper has a lot of uses and requires some serious skills to aim right.
    I found no use to the left ramp which is a bummer because it takes a lot of space on the playfield whime the right ramp climbing up to the boat is quite long and in many ways makes the lower playfield to be limited.

I don’t think the screen is put to very good use on this game unlike the other JJPs, there aren’t many movie scenes and I do wish the biggest portion of the screen would be used to display the remaining shots instead of that map that so far appeared to be useless.

I ended up really getting into the game, especially once i stacked a bunch of multiballs, I also discovered more about each character specific bonuses which adds some strategy to the game. It clearly is a more mature pinball than WOZ in terms of precision and technicality, the shots are tight and the timing is way less forgiving.

One word on the middle button, I find it to be super annoying and don’t really get the point in having to mash it repeatedly, I don’t think it adds anything to the game except an added distraction for a game that already has tons of distractions with 2 buttons

Overall it’s a fun game although I wouldn’t trade my WOZ for it, I feel there is less variety on it even if there are tons of modes all the ones I’ve seen so far where about making a series of shots to be completed.

#9 5 years ago

Center button is main goal is get 55 pieces of gold to light tortuga mb.
    (Or bonus ball for Raguga (spelling?))

The best trick I’ve found is if you can loop the upper flipper shot a few times then hit the gold target. Instead of one pieces you can get 5 or 10 pieces.

There is also a character that collects all available gold on screen with one button.

The button is growing on me.

#10 5 years ago

The game is terrible. Let me take it off someone's hands that has one already so they won't have to "suffer" any longer. I'll be by to pick it up tomorrow morning.

#11 5 years ago

I have a preorder and am losing enthusiasm every day that goes by. Upcoming titles and the slowest rollout ever are not helping.

#12 5 years ago

The Gun.... have you played it ? I thought the prototype was ok but having played a production model a few times, I really now want one . Unfortunately I only have room for one pin and I'd have to sell my TAF, which I'll probably regret .

#13 5 years ago

I played 5-6 games on it in a loud bar with hardly no sound. noticed lots of sdtm drains, but that could of been because it was set up too high in back. prob like every other game out nowadays, it'll be much better in 2-3 yrs. jjp has done wonders with woz and hobbit on code updates, so I expect no less on this one, we'll just have to wait awhile.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

I played 5-6 games on it in a loud bar with hardly no sound. noticed lots of sdtm drains, but that could of been because it was set up too high in back. prob like every other game out nowadays, it'll be much better in 2-3 yrs. jjp has done wonders with woz and hobbit on code updates, so I expect no less on this one, we'll just have to wait awhile.

Fyi, if it is an le (most likely) then it will have a headphone jack on the lower left corner of the front of the cabinet. Plug in and drown out the loud bar.

#15 5 years ago

I’ve played it a few times and each time felt no draw to play again.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from Vdrums:

The Gun.... have you played it ? I thought the prototype was ok but having played a production model a few times, I really now want one . Unfortunately I only have room for one pin and I'd have to sell my TAF, which I'll probably regret .

Yes , I’ve probably put 20 games on it at Helicon ( drove two hours- western Pittsburgh). It’s a pretty game but overwhelming and no clear directions on what to do. There is a compass, I know but every light flashes on the game!

Helicon had Deadpool’s , Iron Maiden and another dozen great games and I kept jumping off to play others. I was excited a month ago but it’s wearing thin. As I said Maiden suffers from the music in “my home environment “ I’m hoping the rules and understanding of Pirates opens up in a home environment.

#17 5 years ago

I agree with the previous poster note about the game not taking advantage of the screen like others - it didn't have a lot of clips and was mainly a map with reminders of what to hit. The Hobbit uses the screen especially well followed by WOZ. DI def third and distant forth pirates.

I don't like that trend although I'm sure I know why that's the case..... Yes they are using a license apparently that can't really use to the fullest but more importantly that type of thing takes time and money and it seems like things are getting squeezed out in these newer JJPs. Lack of proper powder, a PF I could swear does not have as much pop and color as the games before them, complete nonsense about removing the middle trifecta spinner yet price continues to go up.

It's on my radar but barely. I just love jjp games that it can't be.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

I agree with the previous poster note about the game not taking advantage of the screen like others - it didn't have a lot of clips and was mainly a map with reminders of what to hit. The Hobbit uses the screen especially well followed by WOZ. DI def third and distant forth pirates.
    I don't like that trend although I'm sure I know why that's the case..... Yes they are using a license apparently that can't really use to the fullest but more importantly that type of thing takes time and money and it seems like things are getting squeezed out in these newer JJPs. Lack of proper powder, a PF I could swear does not have as much pop and color as the games before them, complete nonsense about removing the middle trifecta spinner yet price continues to go up.
    It's on my radar but barely. I just love jjp games that it can't be.

I know you have mentioned the powder coat several times but you do realize the intended look and finish was to be that of a flat/matte black finish of a cannon on a pirate ship. Don't think you can achieve that with the look and finish of some previous powders. Just saying.... I think what they did here works with the look of the game and idea.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

What are you talking about? Trend? Out of 4 jjp games, only potc has a black/bland look to it's powder coating. The rest are vibrant and stunning. What other option would you want on a pirate game, gold?? I choose black. The play field is gorgeous on all 4 games imo. Packed with features. The screen clips, yes are not as cool as hobbits or woz, but that's a license issue. DI was original, and actually worked well. I guess I'm just not understanding the "trend" you're seeing. Trends are made after multiple accounts of recurring themes, and I just don't see it. Potc, and the rest of jjp games are stunning, and fun. Good job jjp.

#20 5 years ago

Does anybody remember the original release of Hobbit? IT didn't have as many video clips from the movie as it does now. I'm sure the huge expense of the Johnny Depp likeness license made it difficult to do lots of clips from the game - although all the CG stuff is obviously available to be used.

The "trend of things getting squeezed out" rang to me like a dog whistle comment about the 3-disc mech being removed. But it didn't work! Why put it into a game if it's going to be frustrating! They didn't remove it because it was too expensive (or at least, not only that)

#21 5 years ago

The only « trend » I see with JJP pinballs is their constant aim at using the playfield to tell a story.
    Every single ingredient of the WOZ movie is on the playfield and the gameplay makes the ball live the story.
    The Hobbit is a journey, and surely the most complete tribute to Tolkien work I’ve ever seen.

Dialed In is a bit different but I see it as a tribute to the golden age of pinballs, and a tribune for Pat Lawlor to complete his trilogy of disasters

POTC I must say I dont know yet there are a lot of promises but I think the code is either incomplete or hit the limit of the amount of licenses materials JJP could use. It clearly screams pirates and there are some genius ingredients like the cannon, the boat in front of it, but some other pieces are incomplete and, that’s a personal taste but I’m not a big fan of the all shots missions it feels to repetitive. Can’t wait for a good update that’s for sure but the game is still on my wallet’s sight

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-potc-thoughts-since-released-?hl=adol75 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.