• Latest reply 4 years ago by gumnut01
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Choose which game you like most”

• JJP Pirates Standard is good enough 40 votes
    31%
  • JJP Pirates LE because you lose too many features with the standard (assuming you will pay about 2k more at this point for an LE over a standard) 64 votes
    50%
  • Star Trek Premium is more fun 16 votes
    13%
  • Game of Thrones Premium is more fun 7 votes
    6%

(127 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190324_190239 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gumnut01.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#80 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's always kind of silly doing these types of comparisons.
Do you want a fast pro game with easier to understand rulesets, refined action, and a theme that is more likely to resonate with you? Go for a Stern.
You want a large, heavy, complicated, deep, toy and-gimmick-laden experience that might wow somebody who hasn't played a pinball machine in 20 years or ever? Right this way, I've got a pirates for you.
I think a lot of home game room folks - especially those who are maybe looking to impress/capture friends/family/kids (ie: people who don't really like pinball) will gravitate towards something like Pirates. If you value gameplay and tournament-style rules and goals, you are probably better off with a Stern.
More of a middle ground are JJP games like Wonka and Dialed In.
From the OP's opener and following posts, seems like Pirates is the only answer. He doesn't sound like the type who will be impressed by a deadpool on a spring, but a huge LCD, rocking boat, and a button you pound 900 times a game might be just what the Dr. ordered. WHenever someone starts out by noting the "low quality" of Sterns you know they want to spend more money and get more "stuff" with a JJP.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It takes forever
too many potential ball traps and things that can break
thousands of "action button" hits may damage star player's hands damaging tournament's reputation
terrible streaming game for audience thanks to convoluted overbaked ruleset and difficulty in following ball/action
constant rocking of boat playfield may cause motion sickness for players and viewers
besides that it's perfect for tournaments.
When choosing games these days it's more important than ever that suitability for streaming is considered. I wouldn't consider POTC a good game for that purpose at all. Besides the issues described how am I as a commentator supposed to boom a game where there's always 15 things running at once and a good game with 4 players takes an hour?

What a load of nonsense. You may as well say LOTR and TSPP are rubbish as well. There are heaps of us that have old Bally games and want to have something different in our collection that brings a new experience. At its heart JJPOTC is feature laden but a quick brutal machine to many. I love all my machines but Pirates is not a gimmick and it rocks. Make people motion sick..... Hurt little tournament players handies..... ppppfffffffttt. Sick of the biased bullshit from some posters. Bally, Stern, AP, Spooky and JJP are all fantastic. Just enjoy.

And a mate of mine who has TZ, SS and IJ cannot stop talking about Pirates since he came over to play. He has been bitten by the bug. I should tell him he is not a real player.....

#90 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

If this was all gumnut01 said I could agree but his post as a whole based on what CrazyLevi said make no sense at all "very good point" is left as one big ???

I quoted both of crazylevis comments. He clearly states in his first comment that pirates would only wow someone who hasn’t played pinball in over 20 years or ever. So he was not only saying the game is crap he was offending the people who liked it and own one. I agree that pirates is different to any other game and that’s why I bought one. The OP is not an operator, he wants it for his home. He is also after opinions on what will give him fun at home.

I quoted his second comment because he said the rocking ship would make viewers and players seasick. And that the action button would cause player injuries. Does anybody think this is credible? Watched heaps of streams from buffalo and SDTM have not chundered yet.

As I said all manufacturers are great and the variety of games on offer is fantastic. The best age in pinball. There are people who do not like the game that’s fine. But don’t put down people that do.

Bottom line: you can like fast stern games, Bally Williams games and pirates at the same time. There is no us and them. Play pirates and see if you like it.

#91 4 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Really thinking about getting a JJP Pirates. There seem to be plenty of standards out there NIB. My first question, anyone have any guesses as to hold this pin will hold up over time as far as value? $8500 NIB then it's worth how much in a year or two? I understand this would be just speculation. My next question, would this be more fun than a GOT Premium or Star Trek Premium? I did play some games on Pirates at MGC this year but I never get a good enough impression of a game at a show. I've played GOT Premium and ST Premium a lot out in the wild, I used to own a Star Trek Pro. My issue with the Stern's is that they feel so cheap. I love my Met Pro and don't plan on selling it but honestly it just feels low quality to me compared to the other pins I've owned. My last question, is the standard version of JJP Pirates worth owning? I'm not going to overpay for an HUO LE at this point but is the standard going to feel like a step down that I'll notice? Feel free to comment even if you hate the game.

To answer the OP, I have never played ST or GOT. But I do own an AFM which has similarities to ST. I would not sell my AFM to buy pirates ever. Having said that I would not sell pirates to buy AFM. They are completely different. I did go for a Pirates because I did want something a bit more complex to supplement AFM. But to choose between the 2 is impossible for me. Maybe if I can hold out an olive branch that’s what CrazyLevi was trying to say, that you can’t compare the 2.

Pirates is a fast game though, and can have some really quick games. I am not a tournament player, just a novice. The rule set once learned is not that difficult. It is Multiball heavy, it has 6 and they can all be kicked off at the same time. So that can be hectic. I actually find it non linear because anything (besides the wizards) can be started at any time and as I said multiballs can be concurrent with each other and chapters as well. It is multilayered. It does use Bally style flippers which feel a lot less clicky than my TSPP. Multi player is fantastic. The plunder mechanism is so much fun, can cause a real shit stir in our home!

I own an LE, I would miss the shaker and would advise on getting that. The external audio is handy, but not worth 1k. Star map is fun but ancillary.

I guess you could look at resale of other JJP machines, I cannot comment. Don’t think we will be getting rid of.

In terms of build quality, there have been a few issues all resolved. Again cannot see what 20 years will bring. The Pearl is on a shared rocking motor that I believe is used in WOZ, and most parts are Bally/Williams so should be ok. If a board goes? Who knows!!! I might have a brick. This can happen with pretty much every modern day pinball though.

Good luck!

#92 4 years ago

I also see from your collection that you have MET an awesome game. I also see you used to own an WOZ. I have played WOZ and DI only about 5 times each but did not like them. Neither did the family. So I’m not a JJP fanboy. I think pirates would sit with MET just fine!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pittsford, NY
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.95
$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Rockland, ON
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gumnut01.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-vs-?tu=gumnut01 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.