(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,810 posts
  • 633 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by insight75
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

431321214_1110342276953195_8816628931148154685_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240204_044856660.MP (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240203-170723 (resized).png
PXL_20240128_214506994 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240128_224833483.MP (resized).jpg
IMG_0980 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0982 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0981 (resized).jpeg
download (resized).jpg
IMG_6275 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6274 (resized).jpeg
8b9srv (resized).jpg
20231211_131402 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #222 Liar's Dice rules explained! Posted by goren1818 (5 years ago)

Post #644 Rules flow chart Posted by Rbviessman (5 years ago)

Post #1021 How to fix black pearl lamps Posted by Yelobird (5 years ago)

Post #1360 Black Pearl flippers are uneven when in upper position - Fix Posted by evh347 (5 years ago)

Post #2468 Hardware fix for balls getting hung up during multiball. Posted by Pinballpal (5 years ago)

Post #2892 Adjustment for auto plunger not hitting balls cleanly or correctly Posted by Pinballpal (5 years ago)

Post #3974 Deadflip stream from Valentine’s Day 2019. Posted by Tuna_Delight (5 years ago)

Post #4014 POTC trouble shooting guide Posted by zaphX (5 years ago)

Post #4856 Possibly let distributor go through machine and get it tuned in. Posted by dgposter (5 years ago)

Post #6315 Fix for dauntless positioning, canon shots not landing Posted by Yelobird (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tuna_delight.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

289 posts in this topic match your search for posts by tuna_delight. You are on page 1 of 2.
#49 6 years ago
Quoted from RichieWrench:

I am in for #12 POTC-CE...Richie is giving his approval.

That's all I need to know - if Richie's in, count me in too!

11 months later
#299 5 years ago

That's so cool looking! Really enjoying your POTC streams - thanks!

#305 5 years ago
Quoted from NickBuffaloPinball:

Finally got this game in my house. I'm in love.
While I could easily be accused of being in the honeymoon phase (and I am), this is now my favorite game, knocking Walking Dead Premium off of it's three year reign in the top spot.
Can't wait to sing it's praises on our next podcast. #SorryHaters
-Nick, Buffalo Pinball

Very cool - congrats! I look forward to hearing your insights as I've been warming up to POTC the more I see it lately. I hope to actually play one again sometime soon too as my only opportunity to do so was at the NW Show last June!

#336 5 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

As much as I am ashamed to say it, this game moved WOZ to my #2 favorite game of all time.

Shame.gifShame.gif

#344 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I can only fit a hand full of pins in my house so I'm going all in for the CE at over $19k. Had to sell a couple of pins to do it but pirates has a couple of pins worth of features so I think it'll be worth it ,if not I can always sell it that's the good thing about this hobby. It would be good to see some progress pictures of it, but I've waited this long so what's a bit more.
P5 I hope you sold your hobbit.

$19K!?

Holy shit! (even if it is AUD)

1 week later
#399 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Or he will take a crap in Zach's Maelstrom hole before it ships. lol

lol

Crude ... but humorous.

#520 5 years ago

Where are all the happy owner (not from straight overhead) gameplay videos?

(hint hint)

4 weeks later
#1227 5 years ago
Quoted from evh347:

I am in the club...finally! Weather on the east coast delayed my delivery until after Thanksgiving.
-I had a couple switches that needed adjustment out of the box, no big deal at all. The leg bolts were already threaded for me, no issues.
-Had one connector in the backbox that I discovered unplugged during the unboxing and pre-power-on inspection. Re-seated and no issues.
-Lockdown bar lever is a little stiff compared to my other games, it requires some effort to move it.
-My far left upper playfield lantern LED is not seated correctly and therefore is not distributing light evenly like the other three lanterns. [quoted image][quoted image]

And ... your PinGulps are in the wrong position.

Congrats - enjoy your POTC!

2 months later
#3380 5 years ago

Argh! iepinball - what happened to your great Pirates videos on Twitch?!

#3407 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinzzz:

He has one on YouTube...

Yep - thanks. Not the latest code though like his Twitch stream video.

Quoted from iepinball:

Looks like they expired there . The recordings were too large to upload to YouTube and I haven't had the time to edit them down enough to get under the size limit.
I'll be doing more streaming of it in a few weeks, if not sooner.

Dang! I just watched the beginning a couple days ago and then came back to it last night after playing some Pirates on route and discovered it's now gone!

Thanks for recording these Karl! Your videos are great both technically as well as for learning the rules. I have to play them at 3/4 speed though because you talk so fast!

#3429 5 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I can finally post my JJPOTC pin addition photo. I finally got around to installing the topper. Still some tweaking to do to get it right, but loving it! It's now on "the JJP side of the room".
[quoted image]

Cool - Jack must love you!

#3452 5 years ago

Anyone else been playing the Adm Cutler Beckett character regularly? I've only been playing Pirates on route so far, but I really like being able to collect all the gold each time with just a single hit of the action button. I need both hands on the flippers as much as possible with this game!

#3751 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

It’s totally going to retain value, especially once production halts.

#3854 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I wonder if they meant EST ?

If that was the case, it would have started an hour ago.

#3858 5 years ago

ARGH!

#3877 5 years ago

Great stream by Dead Flip and JJP! Thanks to all - it was both entertaining and informative!

Added over 5 years ago:

(oops) Re-adding: "Effective too. I'm now in the club! "

#3974 5 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

Could someone post a link to the last stream. ? Thanks

https://www.twitch.tv/deadflip

or YouTube:

#4013 5 years ago

#4360 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I worked with Abel Electronics for my two LEs. Gary was great and I’m very happy with the experience.
He had a CE a few weeks ago.
You should get the CE. I should have gotten the CE. The radcals and topper alone make it worth it

Quoted from DerGoetz:

For me it was not staring at JDepp.
Well worth the ticket

Glad you guys are happy with the CE, but you should save your Koolaid for that specific thread. I'm MORE than happy with the LE and the THREE THOUSAND dollars I'm saving to put toward my own mods and personalized powder coating upgrades as well as avoiding looking at the "squidface" Davey Jones artwork all the time.

Just sayin' as $9,500 is outrageous enough to spend on a pinball game. To each their own though if you have the $$$. Play on!

#4510 5 years ago

Bad news, good news on my incoming POTC:

Just found out that delivery is not happening today as planned and is now rescheduled for this Weds.

Extra two days gives me time to watch the 5th, and last for me (thank God!), POTC movie before I "weigh anchor and hoist the sails" on me new treasure! Arrrr!

#4515 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Those movies really are a slog, aren’t they?
I think a good community effort would be documenting each chapter title from the game with a few sentences explaining what happened. It’s something I’ve considered taking on but I just can’t deal with watching movies 2-5 again. I haven’t even finished 5.

They are a bit of a slog, but I'm glad I've made the effort to watch them as you learn good info (as well as misc trivia) which has been incorporated into the game such as:

* the significance of the various movie scene and wizard modes
* what the "nine pieces of eight" are
* who each of the featured 22 characters is
* what the "ship in the bottle" topper represents
* what all those great Mod Couple mods, such as Jack the Monkey, are based on
* etc., etc., etc.

#4530 5 years ago
Quoted from phoenixpin:

I hear Deeproot is making Citizen Kane the pinball. Rosebud is the wizard mode where you have to go back in time to save your sled.

WOW - nothing says pinball more than Citizen Kane!

#4541 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Wait what?! You get a free manual with the CE? Man i knew i made the right choice
I'm getting excited about joining in the fun with you guys!
Congrats Panzer

Whoa - wait! What was I thinking SETTLING for an LE?!

#4543 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

How do you light liars dice? I've played a bunch of games and haven't seen it.

Choose Davey Jones as your character. Otherwise, odds are, unless you have a good game, you won't see it.

#4686 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

May need to order that and a grab a bottle of Captain Morgans Private Stock for the first weekend I have the game!

I'm serving Kraken - the "official" POTC grog - for my game's launching!

Kraken Rum (resized).jpgKraken Rum (resized).jpg

#4697 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I'm serving Kraken - the "official" POTC grog - for my game's launching!
[quoted image]

Festivities have now been put on indefinite hold. FedEx Freight just called me and informed me that not only are they not delivering my game today as arranged, my POTC never actually arrived in WA State on Monday as I was informed. It is now officially "lost" in their system and they need to manually locate it wherever it is between here and Indiana!

These guys officially win "WORST PINBALL SHIPPER" I have dealt with in shipping and receiving over 70 games in the past 10+ years! Hopefully, it's not damaged too.

ARGH

#4736 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Ok if that is real Please send me info on where to get it. Way cool thanks for sharing!

VERY real and very tasty (Arrr!).

Surprised if you can't find this in Chicagoland liquor stores (although is Wheaton still dry as it was when I grew up there?!) - my recollection of them is as quite extensive in inventory.

#4935 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

More pics of these blades please!

VillaThrills was kind enough to post these shots previously:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/82#post-4845096

Quoted from zaphX:

Streaming POTC from my Texas game room now! http://twitch.tv/nspinball

Thanks @zaphX - these have helped to scratch my "itch" for quality Pirates streams!

Now following on Twitch.

#4982 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Here's what I love about Kanedas review, he addressed POTC being referred to as the GOAT as so many people are considering it just that
When it comes to dropping $8k+ on a pin it needs to have legs. Many of Sterns pins are approachable yet most don't have legs in terms of unique and deep code. As Zach from SDTM said in his POTC review "this is a masterpiece code" and I agree. The ruleset of POTC is very approachable yet has a ton of depth, variety, and strategy to it. That is what I want in an $8k+ pin, that's a big reason why I bought an LE, and that's why I continue to buy JJP pins.

I can allow Kaneda's view that POTC isn't a"Greatest of all time" game as some have proclaimed it to be. That is a subjective ranking opinion and he's entitled to it. However, to pronounce it a loser because it doesn't meet his narrow definition of a winning pinball game (must tell a story and be approachable) is simply absurd. Additionally, stating that it doesn't take advantage of its widebody playfield, has no toys of value, and the center spinner has absolutely no effect on the ball, all make me wonder what the hell he was looking at while playing the POTC at Sunshine Laundromat and/or how their game has been set up!

I also wonder how well he could hear the game at Sunshine as the audio on POTC is not only amazingly good, it REALLY enhances the gameplay and significantly aids a player's understanding of its various features.

One only needs to watch a portion of Karl DeAngelo's latest fantastic POTC stream from this very afternoon to see what a wonderful game it is!

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/389946436

#4984 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

[quoted image]

The fact that you actually own two POTC's is already quite a personal endorsement!

#5025 5 years ago
Quoted from phoenixpin:

... I was visiting NYC for work and figured I could seamlessly transition to playing with him at this location game. I was dead wrong. The game was so poorly set up and was such a different experience than I am used to at home. ...

This was my exact concern when Kaneda announced that you and he were going to play the POTC at Sunshine. Besides the fact that they have a rep for setting their games up to play hard, this is not an ideal demonstration environment.

#5058 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Thanks! My goal wasn’t to change his mind per se, but to give a balanced opinion. I really think the main problem is that he played a poorly configured machine and had a really bad experience. From the description of the setup I think even I would have come to the same assessment.
These games are hard to come by in the wild so you have to take what you can get. I hope he finds a good one to experience just so he can see how it is supposed to play. If he still doesn’t like it, who cares? That’s pinball and not every game is for everyone.

Nice job Derek!

I enjoy Kaneda's podcast, but he does drive me crazy sometimes with his game judgements based on obviously limited research. For example, I was surprised to hear in his interview with you that he didn't realize that POTC multiballs can be stacked! Really?! Do your homework and at least watch a few minutes of a quality player's gameplay video if you're not able and/or willing to learn features firsthand!

#5332 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I personally haven’t had any issues with the lid. I think it’s one of these situations where once it’s threaded on out of alignment it jacks it all up.
Just be careful to screw it on properly.

Unfortunately, it apparently doesn't take much to jack up the threads. I was careful with my Blitz container, but it quickly became a PITA to open.

#5493 5 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

Let me give you another way to think SE versus LE. How many games do you buy and put 1000 dollars worth of mods in? ...

Every NIB I've bought (I enjoy pimping my games out).

Thus, the LE was a no brainer for me as well.

#5622 5 years ago
Quoted from Schabs81:

Good bye tortuga tom hello bootstrap
[quoted image]

Nice job! Looking at Bootstrap Bill though just makes me think all the more that I wish there was an Angelica figure available.

#5629 5 years ago
Quoted from Heater:

There is. 6" ON STRANGER TIDES SERIES. $10 on ebay

Ah, so it is! Thanks.

#5789 5 years ago
No WD-40 (resized).jpgNo WD-40 (resized).jpg
#5802 5 years ago

I decided to keep my NIB POTC LE and finally opened the carton and set it up this past weeked ... so I'm now officially in the club and loving the game!!!

For those keeping track, my game is LE # 224 and was built on 1/28/19 and other than a bunch of typical NIB adjustments and minor fixes, the only outstanding items I have to address yet are a poor screen right side hardware latch (screen sags as a result) and a really noisy spinning disk (which I know is somewhat typical too). Oh, and my topper is missing its mounting hardware (screws and plugs).

Hooked up a Polk PSW10 subwoofer directly to the game's CPU audio output too and the bass is now rockin' - SO NICE to finally get to enjoy this game at home rather than on route!

#5806 5 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

If you've moved the wooden shipping blacks out of the way and have tried adjusting the right latch without success you may be forced to do something like I had to do with mine:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/108#post-4876871

Yeah - I had seen this and think I'm going to end up making a similar long-term fix. In the meantime, I have the right side of the screen supported with a temporary brace.

Thanks for posting this info!

#5824 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I'm LOVING this game. ... This game is just miles above my others.

Yep - there's a reason it got Kaneda's vote for G.O.A.T!

... or something like that.

#5829 5 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

He 110% hates the game. I hope you are posted that as a joke!
BTW my buddy Dominic Kacich big time pinball player, he scored something close to 5 million on my game. Amazing right?

Yes ... I was kidding. I don't think he hates the game though. Doesn't love it either.

#5848 5 years ago
Quoted from Burley9043:

I think Iron Maiden will be the game of the year. ...

Likely. When it comes down to votes, there are a lot more enthusiastic IMDN owners than POTC owners.

#5851 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I think there are just MORE owners in general for Maiden, which probably translates into more votes. ...

Yes - exactly.

#5853 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

While a TWIPY award isn't an Oscar it is rather sad for Eric that this game was released the Last month of 2018 with only a few handful of users to see its value. Yes, IMDN may win based on a long run of buyers/voters but having owned both there is no way that game compares even if they changed the music sorry. Fun yes, but no pirates.

I agree. That's why I sold my NIB IMDN LE and own a POTC LE instead. Game preference pure and simple.

#5899 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I'm guessing you just pull the handle back

Or ... just use less black powder on the shorter skill shots.

#5956 4 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

That is by far, the best pirate I ever saw! And 'ole Tortuga Tom solved the non-centered topper issue for me as well.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Nicely placed AND nicely played!

Quoted from PsychoPsonic:

... Hope everyone who meets up at TPF has a great time.

Wish i could be there. My thanks to all the JJP POTC fans that have made this thread so enjoyable as well as SO informational!

#6021 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Agreed. Plus I found it both sad and confusing that he acknowledged that distributors were upset with him that they couldn’t buy More POTC games and he stated we are done. Then proceeded to unveil that sad looking over priced safety yellow WOZ. So confusing.

And leaving Eric Meunier to twist in the wind while he tries to say something upbeat about POTC - the game no longer in production.

#6258 4 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

What’s the proper fix for the sagging backbox display? I fiddled with mine for a long time and it still sags below the translite about 1/4” exposing the metal frame which doesn’t look good. I’m thinking of propping the display up with something on both sides as a quick fix. Any suggestions? I’m hoping to avoid fabricating parts.

I had to prop the right side of my screen temporarily. I plan to make a more permanent fix - here's one that AUKraut suggested in a previous post:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/108#post-4876871

#6262 4 years ago
Quoted from PinPeet:

Tech question.
I have these switch errors on the Pearl. Doesn’t look good, think I have to remove the pearl. Any first ideas?
Thanks
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Just adjust the #'s 10 and 12 switches from above. Should be a simple switch blade adjustment (currently closed?) and no need to remove the ship. Ignore #48 (see numerous other posts on this). #79 should be in/near the Dauntless.

#6376 4 years ago
Quoted from estrader:

Joining the club...can anyone help point me to a list of must have mods? What are favorites?

Almost everything on The Mod Couple site for the game, Mezel Mods' Black Pearl deck mod, Lermods chest light, and a set of pinblades (take your pick).

#6377 4 years ago

Oh - and a subwoofer and a set of Brite-Mods lit flipper buttons.

#6378 4 years ago

And a PinGulp.

#6403 4 years ago
Quoted from DougPiranha:

That's what I figured. The weird thing is I called the support line and left messages 3 times over the past week or two and called Jen a couple of days ago and no help or callback whatsoever.
I own every JJP game and bought them all new, 2 from JJP and feel like a disowned stepchild.

That really sucks! Have you contacted Classic Game Rooms?

#6645 4 years ago

Purchased a manual to go with my LE - cool document! Unfortunately, it was bound incorrectly with the back cover on top of the front. Gonna have to take it to Kinkos to get it fixed as the binding machine at my workplace won't accommodate the wire binding used.

ARGH (and not a pirate argh).

#6665 4 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

I would tell them to send me a new one!

I may need to as I just found out over lunch that Kinkos doesn't work with these kind of wire bindings. I don't want to be a PITA to JJP, but I don't want to bend the binding either trying to get all the pages out in order to insert the back cover back in either. For $120 (including shipping) a deluxe manual really should have a back cover.

#6714 4 years ago

So for the record ... I had a list of a dozen or more issues with my NIB POTC game that varied in severity from various switches needing adjustment; to the plunged ball hanging up in the orbit more often than not; to balls CONSTANTLY getting stuck in the chest or behind the upper playfield.

That said, this list of issues was no different than those I have encountered on numerous other NIB games in the past. Frustrating as they were at the time, I've successfully resolved them all by making various methodical adjustments and I'm pleased to state that my POTC is now playing very well indeed!

Moreover, as a seasoned pinball veteran from woodrails to solid states to DMD and newer games, I can unequivocally proclaim JJP's POTC to be one of the truly FINEST games that I have had the honor to own. My sincere appreciation goes out to Eric Meunier and the rest of the JJP team for creating this fun and challenging game!

#6808 4 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Those of you that have installed bigger clear washers under the sling posts, where did you get them?

https://www.pinballlife.com/clear-petg-fender-washers.html

#6856 4 years ago
Quoted from LordHelmet:

I use Isopropyl alcohol and water. About 50/50 mixture in a spray bottle. Super cheap and works amazingly well.

Quoted from zaphX:

Same, but I use distilled water. The 50/50 mix was suggested for Invisiglass cleaning.

I do the same, but I also add a few drops of Dawn dishwashing soap when I mix up a bottle. Been using this mix for 2-3 years now since I installed PDI glass in my games and it has worked great.

I also use the following (or equivalent) lint-free glass cleaning cloths:

https://www.amazon.com/Viking-Diamond-Weave-Microfiber-Windshield/dp/B001GJ9JT2/ref=sr_1_20

#6871 4 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

I think someone mentioned putting a piece of loom over the wires there to fix that problem

I used to have this issue and resolved it by increasing the Black Pearl's VUK coil power up to max level. Apparently, balls weren't always making it up onto the upper playfield and in the course of tumbling back down, would end up caught among the mechs under it. Seemed to particularly occur during multiballs.

#6878 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:Which size did you choose?

I didn't actually buy any of these for my POTC as I prefer full plastics protectors; just providing a source as requested.

They're cheap though - buy some of each size, try them out, decide for yourself and keep the ones you don't use for potential future use on another game.

#6891 4 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

... Going to be pretty bad ass but FINALLY we can put to bed all the discussion about movie assets on the game. ...

Sounds interesting - I look forward to seeing more on this!

I doubt that it will end the criticism regarding incorporation of movie assets though.

#6897 4 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

These are from the CE thread if anyone missed it , best shooter mod I've seen .
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

VERY COOL looking!

I just wished it worked with the trigger ala TS, IJ, etc. as I'm not a big fan of the "feel" of bulky irregular shooter rod knobs.

#6974 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Does anyone think that changing the powder coat on the LE would alter its value? I've tossed around the idea of having the armour stripped and having a high quality black metallic powder coat installed with gold dots / flakes throughout.

I would think that a tastefully done, quality powdercoating would add to the game's value for most buyers of this particular game. Not all though as appreciation of any powdercoating color/finish is subjective.

I'd like to find full rails (protected flipper button area) and refinish my LE as well.

#6981 4 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

I refuse to buy pins with fucked with powder coat. Doesn't matter how tasteful

Whatever dude, a bit harsh perhaps, but that's certainly your right and to each their own. I have enjoyed powdercoating many of my games and I honestly don't think most pinheads would consider them as "fucked".

#6986 4 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Fine, i'll buy a pin with powdercoat as long as the price isn't an "added value" to up the cost of the pin.

Fair enough. I powdercoat my games because I like to improve their aesthetic appeal - not as an investment for resale. If others like the finished look, so much the better, but I'm the one that spends the majority of time in my gameroom.

POTC LE is an okay looking game exterior-wise to me personally - not as nice looking as some past JJP editions such as their Smaug Gold Hobbit or WOZ Emerald City - but not bad either. I think its metal cabinet components can be improved upon with a number of potential hammered metal powdercoat finishes for example and the possibilities have intrigued me. Just another facet of modding a game that I enjoy.

#7154 4 years ago

Sure would be nice if there was a separate JJP POTC tech issues thread. This club thread seems to be dominated by repeated issues - many of them from owners new to the hobby.

Doesn't make for lively gameplay/strategy discussions and leaves others with the impression that JJP POTC is nothing but problems.

Just sayin'.

#7178 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I understand and agree, but sadly the game does seem to have production issues here and there. I hoped I'd get "lucky" and wasn't so far...

Understood as well. Based on the posts in this club thread, JJP POTC also seems to have a high share of owners that are new to the hobby of pinball collecting. All the more reason for a dedicated tech issues thread.

Quoted from PinMonk:

Suggested that a few pages back. Shot down.

That's unfortunate. Pirate's high quality of gameplay deserves a more upbeat discussion.

#7180 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Isn't that something?
Our first ever pin and it's of this magnitude.
Good time to be alive!

You chose wisely. Congrats!

#7186 4 years ago

Yes ... thanks. I have already studied and know the rules pretty well though.

I've been hoping to find a livelier discussion of strategies and shared gameplay experiences more typical of other club threads. I don't mean to be overly negative, but while somewhat informative, this one is a downer.

Ok - rant off. I hope all Pirates owners get to fully enjoy their game soon!

#7200 4 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

Im in Tuna. Im a newbie on the pinball ownership, but strategy discussion is good. If you can reliably hit the inner loop and the map hole Will Turner can rack easy points with no negatives. I cant hit a lot of the shots yet so norrington helps a bunch, got to my first wizard mode with him today but his scores for chapters and wizard are pretty low (only hit 2 shots in wiz mode before drain). Really like the collect all gold guy as I can routinely put 50-100 gold on the screen. But ya for points I go for Will Turner try to hit the loop 2-3 times then map for 75-100k and if I miss map good chance you will hit gold and have tortuga multiball ready 10 seconds into game. From there I try to stack my multiballs and complete chapters. Ideally get at least 2-3 lit plus tortuga then start them (preferably start with BP multiball and go into the others)

I guess I'm a pinball veteran compared to many Pinsiders, but Pirates has been a really refreshing change gameplay-wise for me! The varying character strengths and weaknesses are great! Having 22 to choose from was a bit overwhelming at first, but it seems that like the rules, they have became fairly automatic to recall now. I've made a point of trying to play all the different characters more or less equally so far so I can get a feel for all of them. I currently have my game set on the random select setting so that I just play what comes up now. Kind of weird, but my highest game score to date has been one where I played Scrum. Not what I would have expected.

I was also really into playing Liars Dice as much as possible for a while. Two drawbacks I've found so far:
1) the game seems to win 2/3 of the time
2) it's not as much fun to blow what would have been a high score by losing big points on this

#7261 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

... If a tech support POTC thread IS created, which makes sense to me, (and why doesn't someone here that has a major issue with this just start a nice new polished one?) and Wonka is fully revealed, I'm assuming post count in this thread would/will see a massive plummet.
Either way, someone with enough interest and irritation, start it up!

How about someone with a lot of JJP POTC tech issues starting one? (I know - that's crazy talk)

I've actually considered starting a new "fun" (non-tech problems) POTC club thread, but decided it's probably not worth it due to inevitable tech problem postings there too.

Thankfully, at least there still are the enthusiastic Bro Do You Pinball threads and YouTube video comments as they LOVE Pirates and JJP's in general.

#7443 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Is anyone else thinking of moving the I-lane post inward?
Those drains are just brutalizing me tonight.

Already have. Much happier.

#7450 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Oh yeah? No regrets eh? I feel weak for considering it but I am so tired of draining there...and I don’t seem to be improving my skill at all.

None whatsoever. I still lose balls there, but not nearly as often now. I'd rather focus on other challenges in the game than trying to stop constant cheap drains.

Quoted from joseph5185:

Cheating much?
Oh well...whatever.
Have fun!

Cheating?! Pffffft

#7501 4 years ago

For those considering adding one of the various pinblade sets available for JJP POTC, here are a few pics of Pingraffix's product that I just installed in my game:

DSC04479 (resized).jpgDSC04479 (resized).jpg
DSC04467 (resized).jpgDSC04467 (resized).jpg
DSC04502 (resized).jpgDSC04502 (resized).jpg

#7504 4 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

Those look sweet. Were they easy to install? Did you use the wet method, or dry?

These were a little more difficult than usual (Sterns for me) due to 1) the inner hardware piece for the backbox hinge needing to be removed on both sides in order to get the pinblade flat and 2) the comparatively tight fitting playfield.

I used the wet method and definitely recommend it. Able to lift the playfield with no worries now too - these pinblades are heavy duty vinyl.

#7506 4 years ago
Quoted from locksmith:

Those art blades are the nicest I’ve seen so far. Sweet

I like how they match the artwork on the apron and tie in well with the playfield's art too.

That said, I think the JJP POTC pinblades by Tilt Graphics look nice as well. For those interested, they can be seen in this previous post by WolfManCat :

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/108#post-4876819

#7534 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinzzz:

So, the precut hole on the Pingraffix blades was not large enough to go over the hinge nut? would it be possible to make the hole on the pinblade larger before the install to prevent the need to remove the nut?

No, the precut hole isn't large enough - nor is its location on the pinblade absolutely perfect.

I suppose you could leave the hinge nut in place and cut around it once you have the pinblade on, but it might be somewhat tricky to get a perfect cut. Since the hinge nut has a flange, I felt it would look better to remove it, install the pinblade, trim the precut hole on it as needed to perfectly align with the cabinet hole, and then reinstall the hinge nut so that its flange covered the pinblade's cut hole perimeter.

As has been stated, the hinge nuts take a bit of work (hammering) to get out and back in again, but the final look is nice.

#7536 4 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

Did you have to remove the playfield to install the pinblades?

No, but the space between it and the cabinet is minimal so that's why I highly recommend using the wet method.

#7569 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Susan and I are streaming at http://twitch.tv/NSPinball

I could only catch a few minutes on my phone unfortunately as my reception was sketchy. Why is your wife so set against you moving the I lane post?

Thought it was kind of ironic that as soon as she stated that you're not going to be doing it, she had a cheap drain fly right down it.

Thanks for streaming!

#7571 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Haha, right??
She’s adamant that we get good at is as shipped/designed, so our skills will be portable to other machines.

I respect her determination.

#7736 4 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

I'd love a ce playfield in a le. Too much Depp on the le

Too much Depp?! Jack Sparrow is only THE main character of the collective movie series.

#7885 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Here is that photo you requested showing the washers:[quoted image]

#7886 4 years ago
Quoted from rs812:

The disc Silencer is an absolute must have!

I love my game's mods from Mod Couple, but FWIW: the silencer kit, unfortunately, has not improved the noisiness of my spinning disk.

#7890 4 years ago
Quoted from rs812:

Made mine nearly silent. You may want to check the clearance gap btw the new gear and the disc gearing. Before, mine was a clackety mess. Now it is a very quiet whirring hum.

Yep - did this as well as other recommended steps.

Don't mean to dissuade any other potential buyers - just letting folks know it's not a guaranteed fix. McSirTuna apparently got mixed results on his streamed installation as well.

#7973 4 years ago
Quoted from rs812:

Why not trim back the shield?

You beat me to the question. I have the cannon mod in place and a shield on the way. Going to look into this option.

#8042 4 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Top 4 Keefer inspired/deep games would be:
LOTR
WOZ
TWD
JJPOTC
Just follow Keefer and you find, AAA games

Quoted from Doctor6:

Twd. Uhhhhh.... what?

Quite right - TWD is all Lyman Sheats.

I'd include WPT and TSPP in my Keefer code greats. TH too maybe - I hope to explore that more deeply.

#8069 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

... some like to protect the game as if they were going to play 24/7 with gravel balls but others just enjoy what was presented as is.

Glad to see that I'm not the only one thinking this.

#8072 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

It's not a bad thing for a new owner to want to make sure they feel their new game, (for most people an entirely gratuitous purchase, is protected upfront) so years down the road maintenance is kept minimal, and even more so, parts that might be unattainable aren't needed. I don't know anyone in my world personally, that could "afford" a purchase like this, myself included really. I've started working at least 12 hours of overtime each week, to make these games a viable option.
So if someone feels just after purchase, the desire to protect as much as they can within reason, good for them, and good for the hobby. Down the road, if they ever do sell a game, guess what condition it might be in years late? And as a result, that cautionary mentality helps awesome games be preserved and functional.
Some of us are new to ownership, and we'd rather be cautious, than sorry.
I say ask away with questions, and ideally folks not as new to the hobby, be patient, and remember years ago, that you wore the shoes we currently are just trying on.

Understood - a lot of Pirates owners (on this thread anyway) seem to be new to the hobby and these games are very expensive. It's natural for anyone to want to take care of it as reasonably as possible.

That said, for your own piece of mind if nothing else, you guys should RELAX a little and not be concerned about every single possible wear or mechanical issue that might occur with the game. No offense intended - just passing on some friendly advice (FWIW) from someone who has been around a while in this hobby.

#8353 4 years ago

BLUE start button, coin reject buttons, lit flipper buttons, and PinGulp:

POTC cab front low expose (resized).jpgPOTC cab front low expose (resized).jpg

#8357 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I must truly be getting old as I feel the speaker volume and sound is More then enough as delivered.

I added an external sub (as I typically do), but otherwise I'm good too.

#8361 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I’ve been considering trying that, as I have a spare sub left over from my move doing nothing. Where did you run the wire? Do you buy the alligator clip kits that are offered here on Pinside frequently?

Full info for anyone interested:

I hooked up a Polk PSW10 powered subwoofer to my POTC as I have with all of my Stern games and my Houdini. These sound great and are relatively cheap - as little as $80 online occasionally. I think it helps with POTC's bass, but it's not as noticeable a difference to me as on my newer Stern games which I attribute to JJP's cabinet subwoofer probably being better than Stern's.

This is the cable that I have used to connect most of my subwoofers (but there are a lot of others that will work as well and you typically only need one RCA jack rather than two):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YDUZ22/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00

On the right underside of your POTC's CPU (located behind the backbox screen), you'll find the typical (pink, green, blue(?)) sockets for audio jacks to plug into. You want to use the headphone output socket that the cabinet front headphone socket's cable is already connected to. To do so you'll need a splitter (3.5 mm male to (2) 3.5 mm females) so you can connect your subwoofer to it as well.

I ran the cable out the bottom of the cabinet through one of the ventilation openings - you'll need to pry up the screen slightly. If you use a Polk PSW 10 just follow the simple instructions that come with it for its various settings.

#8379 4 years ago

This sign is in my gameroom to (ideally) inject some humor into situations where players (including me) struggle on my games.

Golly you really do suck (resized).jpgGolly you really do suck (resized).jpg

#8382 4 years ago

Beckett's downside is that he only gives you 1/2 the value of the gold you collect. Can be a steep price for convenience depending on your button hitting skills.

#8418 4 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

FYI: My JJPOTC LE is back up for sale, as the original buyer has decided to back out after the playfield glass mishap. Here is the ad:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/78542
If you are looking for a extremely nice HUO LE with all the right mods, fully sorted, many extras, then let's talk. PM me here on Pinside if interested....

Bummer re: the original glass. Very nice POTC nonetheless - LOTS of quality mods and brand new invisiglass now too! Can't imagine this will last long.

#8565 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Does the production count really matter?
If you own one you're selling, you likely have multiple buyers jumping on it - I did.
If you own one you're not selling, you know what a great game it is so who cares?

Hear! Hear!

With all the posts that have been made in this thread since I last checked, I thought that maybe a new code update had come out.

Wishful thinking anyway ... SIGH

#8570 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

... Okay, game play question: What does everybody like to choose for their PIRATE lane awards? I've been going with Super X, then Bonus X, then Arrrrrrrr Frenzy as soon as it's eligible. I've never yet been able to get all 6 multiballs going at the same time though. I'm thinking of switching it up to maybe do Super X and then Add Gold. Seems to me like the best chance to get all 6 multiballs going is to start COTBP first, then Tortuga, and then get the other 4 running from there. I think I need to have Tortuga multiball pretty well teed up & ready to go first or second because I have zero chance/ability to hit the button to collect gold while one multiball is running, let alone while a couple or more MBs are going at the same time. Anyone have thoughts/strategies on this to share? ...

I also typically go with Super X and then Bonus X first. Depending on the current bonus multiplier value, I may go for Hold Bonus too if available. After that I usually go for Light Extra Ball when lit and/or switch to Arrrrr Frenzy if I'm about to start multiballs. Light Shot X needs to be used very strategically and I typically don't go for more Gold via the lanes.

#8578 4 years ago
Quoted from Heater:

I have to give it to JJP on their version of Liars Dice. I've played this game as a kid with my family and very happy to see it here. The stupid AI is really hard to predict. It lies half the time, won't lie the other half and makes it very unpredictable.....as it should be! Love it

Agreed! Am I missing a setting/option somewhere though or does the game always get to bid first?

#8606 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Couple game questions that I've been trying to figure out lately but can't figure out the rhyme or reason to them:
1) Occasionally a skull light on the playfield will turn from its regular color to white. Anyone know why this happens? It turns back to it's regular color again at some point, so I'm guessing it must be a signal about something related to game play but I can't figure it out.
2) During Tortuga multiball you can occasionally add a ball by hitting a jackpot. Anyone know what causes that to happen? Is it after hitting a certain number of jackpots or hitting the scoop for a super jackpot?

My guesses:
1) Skull shot turning white signifies it as next constellation shot?
2) Not sure about jackpots, but completing G O L D targets during Tortuga will award an add-a-ball. No limit on these.

#8892 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

When you have the control you'll find out It comes in handy, that is why I am adding it to WOZ. Different times of day, different needs (talking to someone while playing versus the house being empty.. etc)

Agreed. I've added external audio controls/headphone inputs to all my newer games and they're super convenient! The ability to turn the sound on/off too is handy as well. Also nice to avoid the typical speaker/subwoofer pop when turning the game on and off.

#8940 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I had an idea. How about a virtual POTC competition? Here is my thinking:
- I’ll make a thread for this
- we agree upon a cutoff time like say midnight Saturday CST
- everyone plays and makes ONE post to the thread with their best score screen, showing the score and character they used. For streamers they can also include YouTube link to their game (clipped to show only that game)
- after the cutoff I’ll collate the results
If you’re like me you play POTC almost every day anyway right? Let’s do it together!
Any interest?

Cool! The playing fields won't be even due to varying setups, but it should be fun.

1 week later
#9318 4 years ago
Quoted from DarthSinex:

... But today tried Cynthia and got my highest score ever, well over 2 million, so can only assume that extra time is more important than I thought. ...

Carina

Yep - longer timers is a good thing!

#9386 4 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I didn't realize that he did the call-outs.....that's pretty cool

If you haven't already watched this, there's a LOT of good game info in this Dead Flip / JJP stream. Including an interesting tidbit at 1:30:18 from Eric Meunier about working with Kevin McNally on the callouts.

#9463 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

“Best” character for focusing on inner loops and hopefully collecting a lot of gold?
Would it just be the character that picks up all the gold with a single press?
Opinions?

Cutler Beckett's advantage is that he makes grabbing gold easier, but you ONLY get 1/2 the gold's value.

As such, I would not choose him to maximize gold collection.

#9467 4 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

yes but your also very rarely missing gold....too many times I let gold expire because I cant get the ball safe and I know as soon as I move a hand ball will go there. Also do 8-10 loops and collect all the gold before ball drains little mini game withing itself. Cutler fixes all that

I used to think Beckett was a good option until I became more familiar with how much more some of the other characters can deliver in points over the course of a decent game.

I do still like to play him occasionally though to take a break from having to hit the gold button so much.

#9535 4 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

At first glance I like the idea of that ladder mod, but not sure it goes that well with the ramp sticker. I wonder how it would look if the rope was a little longer to maybe cover the ramp guards and gate bracket... just a thought

I appreciate all mod makers' efforts as I love to mod my games! That said, not all are hits and Mezel Mods ladder falls short for me for several reasons: competes with ladder ramp decal below it, out of scale in relation to ship, and most importantly - blocks the view of the playfield below even more than it already is.

On a postive note to Mezel Mods, I really like their Black Pearl deck mod. Well done!

#9557 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Since we are kicking summer off let’s discuss pirate drinks.
Only one drink other than straight rum neat should be had while playing this fine game and that is a Dark N’ Stormy!
What’s all your go to Pirate beverages, arghhhh!

I prefer beer, bourbon, or both when I play pinball.

Just like the real pirates drank.

#9699 4 years ago
Quoted from Zora:

I just connected the cable to the sub woofer with the headphone plug in at the cabinet front. The sub works, but only the sub. The middle and high speakers in the backbox are out. How can I plug the sub in without losing the backbox speaker?

You need to plug your sub directly into the headphones socket on the CPU in the backbox (as described in my post) - not the headphones socket on the front of the cabinet. You'll need a splitter to allow the sub to share the CPU's socket along with the cable jack from the headphones socket on the front of the cabinet.

#9704 4 years ago
Quoted from Zora:

What kind of splitter would that be, do you have a reference? This would mean to plug that in the 2 RCA inputs of the sub? Would the quality be better than using the high level inputs in the sub from the alligator clips?

The splitter consists of a single 3.5mm (male) jack attached to two 3.5 mm (female) sockets. The splitter jack plugs into the CPU's headphone socket. The two splitter sockets receive (1) the 3.5 mm jack from the cabinet headphone socket cable and (2) a 3.5 mm jack on the end of a subwoofer cable w/ RCA connector(s) on other end.

Piece of cake.

#9715 4 years ago
Quoted from Zora:

Ok, I understand, thanks.
What about quality, is that better than alligator Clips?

I would imagine that standard connectors would result in higher quality audio. Can't say as to how much though as I've never used alligator clips for hooking up a sub.

#9755 4 years ago

Word on the street is that Kaneda is joining this club.

I welcome and look forward to his conversion to a full fledged Pirates fan!

#9759 4 years ago
Quoted from BladeFury:

I like his podcast even tho the funny thing I own the 2 machines he has bagged on the most! And absolutely love them..best 2 pin lineup I've owned! Hope he is getting one and anybody else that gets a chance!

I own a couple others, in addition to Pirates, that have been on his bash list as well: Houdini and Star Wars. Love both of 'em!

Playing Pirates in his home is going to be a HUGE improvement for him over trying to play it on location in NYC.

#9766 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Was this in his latest podcast?

He talks about getting a new game (POTC), but doesn't reveal the name.

#9821 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Right? I love Tom.

Me too. Another vote for Tortuga Tom!

Arrrrr!

#9829 4 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

Tell me you guys wouldn’t rather see her spinning around...[quoted image]

Meh

Tortuga Tom is the biggest badass pop bumper pirate to sail the pinball seas!

#9855 4 years ago

You're welcome. Glad to hear your game's bass is cookin' now - enjoy!

#9878 4 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

POTC LE # 2000 finally arrived.[quoted image]

Late to the party, but welcome and congrats!

You're gonna love Pirates!

#9882 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Finally listened to that part of Kaneda inferring he'd buy Pirates. I was two or three minutes off, and had gone into work. Hopefully he does, and discovers what we all have!

Yeah - he only implied, but I'm betting he has seen the light and purchased a Pirates. What other game available has such a "world under glass" that he is always advocating for?

I'm confident that by playing one in his home and experiencing it as it should be, he'll finally understand what we've all been raving about.

#9915 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Tempted to move the post in the “I” lane..... anybody moved it?

Quoted from locksmith:

I moved it. Its a real drain monster. Its ruined some good games.

Quoted from steigerpijp:

Yeah just move it, and even then its amazing how easilly balls drain there

I moved mine early on and have no regrets as it has cut down on cheap drains, but I still get enough to feel no shame. Lately, I seem to have had balls draining left and right there regardless.

#9918 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

What would you experienced players of this game say is the best part of this game (from a gameplay viewpoint as opposed to aesthetics)?

Its great vibe. Lots of shots, strategy options and cool features all contribute to that.

#10106 4 years ago
Quoted from Agima2000:

Last hole closed.
STL templates as usual at thingiverse
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3393818[quoted image][quoted image]

Cool man - thanks. Gotta ask though - why does the door have stones around it? Adapted from a castle mod?

#10191 4 years ago

"Raising the sails" for the first step to earn BP multiball is merely symbolic. And arbitrary. It could just as easily be "weighing anchor" or "casting off lines".

#10370 4 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Hey guys I’m new to potc and I just played a few games . The ball has gotten stuck three times already right after launch right under the black pearl somewhere . Search function does nothing . Then I have to behind the machine lift it a bit then it pops out from the right door on the black pearl . Anyone have a fix for this ?

Try increasing the power on your BP VUK coil. I used to get balls stuck here and this fixed it.

#10376 4 years ago

The problem I experienced is that if the VUK doesn't have enough power, the ball will go partly up and then tumble back down and get caught up in the mechs underneath the BP. Ball search can't detect it here and the only way to free it is manually.

#10388 4 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Oh weally?? For like all models in production?

Yes - along with the 3-ring spinning disk that was on the prototype shown at Expo 2017. These design modifications were BIG news at the time in 2018, but now seem inconsequential given how much fun this game is to play.

#10411 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballCaps:

These look great on POTC! First time ordering? Available here on Pinside or at pinbossmods.com. First time ordering? Use code pinboss10 at checkout for 10% off.

Cool looking wood, but this color combo leaves me Jonesing for some Oreo cookies.

Wood flippers (resized).jpgWood flippers (resized).jpg

#10432 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Just bought the other 4 pirates movies to familiarise myself with the chapters. Always loved the first one. A classic. Saw the 5th one recently and was not as bad as I expected. Anyway watched the 2nd. Not as good as the first, but not as bad as I remembered it to be. Bloody long though. Now just number 3 and 4. I remember one of them was a real slog. Funny how the family is pointing at bits in the 2nd. My daughter got excited when seeing the teacups in the rain at the start of the movie. She yelled out “that’s Wedding Day!”

I watched all 5 movies (some again and some for the first time) before I bought my Pirates and I'm glad I did. You really gain perspective on the many elements from each of them that are incorporated into the game and I think it improves the overall gameplay experience as a result.

#10498 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I thought..."how in the world?!?!?" then saw your username. Daaaaaaamn. And I thought your scores in your stream, like half this, were good.

Yeah - Karl (@Troz) is a fairly good player.

#10501 4 years ago
Quoted from iepinball:

I've been meaning to stream this strategy before v1.0 comes. Maybe I'll get the equipment setup this week for a stream.

That would be cool - your other Pirate streams on Twitch have now expired!

How many wizard modes did you get to in your 19M point game?

#10503 4 years ago
Quoted from Moomert1:

... I had to adjust the rear legs. So........I got on all fours.......went under the machine then lifted with my shoulders / back then adjusted one leg at a time. I'm pretty sure there are better methods.

I have a penguin lift for moving my games around, but when it comes to adjusting leg levelers, most of the time I just get down on all fours and lift the game temporarily with my back. Kills my knees if I do a bunch of games, but it's fast and effective.

#10504 4 years ago
Quoted from iepinball:

And I never got most of them up on YouTube, ugh. So much video work to do...
Only 1 wizard mode!

We appreciate your high quality streams all the same Karl - thanks!

One wizard mode only is surprising. You must have had some really MEGA scoring multiballs with Barbossa!

#10515 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

... I don't tend to watch pinball streams outside of SDTM. I'd prefer to play instead and I think every high score set on an individual machine is unique in it's own right given no two machines will necessarily play exactly the same. ...

Karl's (iepinball) POTC streams are worth making time for. Not only is the quality of the screen displays and gameplay topnotch, you'll learn a lot about rules, strategy, and flipper skills.

#10692 4 years ago
Quoted from iepinball:

Going to try to stream my high-risk/high-reward Barbossa strategy now if anyone is interested. https://www.twitch.tv/iepinball
Edit - That went well! https://www.twitch.tv/iepinball/clip/SarcasticSpeedyAntDendiFace

Holy crap - Karl DeAngelo is a Pirates GOD!

21 MILLION point shot at 40:30ish on Twitch stream (at link above)!!!

Excellent stream so far! Arrrrr! Thanks Karl!

#10812 4 years ago

Yay, products are now live and online for purchase. Starmap replacement plastic, various decals & black pearl standup filler window piece.
*Please bear with me, if there are any questions or issues feel free to PM so I can help figure them out. New store for me, new payment processing, etc.
*2-3 weeks to produce all the products, you'll get a notification when your order ships.
*Flat rate $1 shipping for all decals, otherwise please choose an appropriate shipping method
https://magicalproductions.miiduu.com

Arrrrr - I'm in for a decal set and lighted BP door! Looking forward to adding these to my POTC.

Thanks Scott!

#10824 4 years ago

The audio as a whole is phenomenal!

#10844 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Well its been 6 months next week since my Pirates docked in our game room and I must say I love it as much or more then I did when it arrived. Frick what a great game!!!

Yeah - me too. It's funny how my opinion of this game was pretty much MEH for the first year and a half after its original reveal at Expo, but once I actually got some time in on an LE on route and began to appreciate its excellent code and many features, it sunk its claws into me very quickly. Now I think Pirates would be the last game to leave my collection!

Quoted from dgposter:

Is anyone else not able to fit art blades on the inside of your cabinet. Kingpin is getting ready to ship my LE to me, but he was not able to install the Kraken blades. Apparently the right side of the playfield is too close to the inner wall and nothing will fit in between (there is more room on the left side, however).
Are there any amazing, magical solutions of somehow increasing the gap between the playfield and the side wall? I fear there is no solution and I'm just going to be unlucky with this mod, but I figure it's worth asking in here.
I'm super excited to be joining this club!!

I found the side gaps to be tighter than normal, but still manageable when I installed Pingraffix's POTC pinblades on my game. Just have to maximize the gap manually. I also strongly recommend using the "wet" method for application.

Raising and lowering my playfield has not been an issue since either. Just need to be careful when you do.

#10848 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I had to bang them out to install radcals. Went back in just fine. I did not have to cut it.

Ditto

1 week later
#11041 4 years ago
Quoted from bgwilly31:

Ok The pirate lane awards confuse me. I never know what i should really be picking.
Except for when i find light arrr frenzy. However arr frenzy is not always available to pick. So what qualifies it to even be picked?
Also How do i start Playfield X. Ive had people tell me super X = PF X.?? Doesnt seem right though.
SO to break down these questions down.
1.) What qualifies Arr frenzy to be available on the compass.
2.) How to start PF x?
3.) What is super X?
4.) Once u get shot X after you start it do you then have to hit the stand up for how much the X will be worth?
Thanks in advance fellas. Definitely feel like my confusion with this is whats holding me back from multi million games.

EDIT: more info provided in Post #11056 as well.

Watch this and learn. Karl is a master at POTC and gives great rules info and strategy tips.

EDIT: more info provided in Post #11056 as well.

#11056 4 years ago
Quoted from bgwilly31:

Ok The pirate lane awards confuse me. I never know what i should really be picking.
Except for when i find light arrr frenzy. However arr frenzy is not always available to pick. So what qualifies it to even be picked?
Also How do i start Playfield X. Ive had people tell me super X = PF X.?? Doesnt seem right though.
SO to break down these questions down.
1.) What qualifies Arr frenzy to be available on the compass.
2.) How to start PF x?
3.) What is super X?
4.) Once u get shot X after you start it do you then have to hit the stand up for how much the X will be worth?
Thanks in advance fellas. Definitely feel like my confusion with this is whats holding me back from multi million games.

1) Look at your game's settings (frequency is set there). Arrr Frenzy isn't offered until you've completed the PIRATE lanes so many times. And then, once you've played Arrr Frenzy, you can't play it a second time until you've completed the PIRATE lanes an additional number of times.

2) Assuming by "PF x", you mean a playfield multiplier, then yes - this is what Super X is.

3) See #2. To start Super X, you need to have it selected as your PIRATE lanes award when you complete them and then shoot the PIRATE award target (to left of the chest) to collect it before you complete the PIRATE lanes for another award. Once you've collected it at the PIRATE award target, you then need to shoot the multiplier target that sets what the multiplier value is and activate the multiplier (for 30 secs by default). The first time you collect it, only the 2X target is lit to activate it. The second time, 2X and 3X are both lit. The third time, 2X, 3X and 4X are lit. And so on ...

4) Yes. When you collect Shot X at the PIRATE award target, all five (2X, 3X, 4X, 5X, and 6X) multiplier targets are lit. Whichever one you hit determines the multiplier value applied to your very next shot. Theoretically, you can work your way up to a 6X Super X multiplier running and then activate a 6X Shot X for a total of 36X multiplier on your next shot. This takes real precision timing and accurate shooting though to pull off.

Watch this Karl DeAngelo video to see him score a 24X(?) shot for 21 MILLION points!

#11061 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

My shot X target is usually my worst shot, like the pops or lock chest target. So much pressure.
Also started to use the bonus x targets on the pearl. Like how if you already have 2x the next time you hit the targets it lights the 3x and so on. Playing Scrum I’m trying to set these up for the 6x on first ball and then I don’t have to worry.
Thanks big fish for the summary, had not thought of the stacking that makes shot X valuable. Always thought shot X was the poor cousin of super X.

Yep - Shot X is most valuable when used in combination with an active Super X. To do so is tricky though as, due to the time limit on Super X when activated, you ideally want to hold off actually starting the Super X until you have Shot X ready for collecting at the Pirate target.

Then ... once you have successfully activated both sequentially, getting the ball under control immediately and then making the desired shot is another challenge!

#11110 4 years ago

Prior rules point ignorance confession (can't believe I somehow failed to notice this until now):

When "6X Bonus" is awarded via a Map Award, all the multiplier targets are lit and the bonus value actually awarded depends on which target you subsequently hit first.

Previously, I had been wondering why "6X" seemed to be the only bonus related Map Award consistently awarded. Now I realize why.

Just goes to show you how easily your attention can be distracted by the many things going on at once in this game. That's my excuse anyway!

#11209 4 years ago
Quoted from estrader:

Anyone put mirror blades or art blades on? Trying to decide which way to go. Pdi gold mirror blades or tilt kraken game blades.

Yes and there are pics to be found throughout this thread. The thread search is your friend. Key words: "pinblades" and "blades".

#11210 4 years ago

Love these larger Aztec gold coins around my game's action button! Thanks @mountaingamer!

POTC action button coins 1 (resized).JPGPOTC action button coins 1 (resized).JPG

#11218 4 years ago

They're not really yellow. They just look that way due to the iridescent glow from the nearby piles of gold coins!

#11221 4 years ago

My mistake.

2 weeks later
#11557 4 years ago

nothing to see here

2 weeks later
#11737 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

So has anyone made it to the final wizard mode? ...

Doesn't exist yet.

1 month later
#12507 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I clearly need to ask Santa for a potc for Christmas

Clearly.

Favorite game in my current lineup!

1 week later
#12651 4 years ago
Quoted from skyrex:

Very cool! Pirates was my first JJP too......it has been joined by Dialed In recently!

Quoted from joseph5185:

I'm REALLY hoping WOZ will be my 2nd.
Unless JJP does something insane like Star Wars or MTG or something...

Pirates was my first JJP game as well. REALLY glad I decided to buy it after initially going back and forth on pulling the trigger! Just acquired a Hobbit Smaug and am loving it too!

Quoted from VillaThrills:

Ok, so if you guys followed the early days of my posts, you would find that I have been trying to get our beloved POTC to perform on the audio side with external subwoofer and external amps and speakers. I knew the sound was there as you can hear it when you play through headphones.
Well I took the plunge on the PinWoofer setup. ...

Good to hear - thanks for this info! I've typically added external Polk subs to my games, but I've been considering trying a PinWoofer system on my Hobbit instead. If it sounds that much better, I'll likely install it on my Pirates as well.

#12654 4 years ago
Quoted from Toppers:

I have a hobbit and an external 10” sub. I hooked it up to the black and red terminal on the sub under the playfield. Piece of cake 3 minute install. Sounds amazing. I plan to do the same with pirates.

I actually already have an external sub hooked up to my Pirates and agree that the installation is fairly simple. While the overall sound is decent, I'm open to potentially improving (replacing) it with PinWoofer. A trial Hobbit install should tell the tale regarding audio potential.

#12666 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

I have mine at the second bubble. That’s what they recommend and I like that pitch.

The 'ol "double bubble" slope.

I'm partial to 1.85 bubbles myself.

#12687 4 years ago

Word on the street is that you'll need to complete all 5 wizard modes AND then win the right to play Break the Curse via a game of Liar's Dice.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

1 week later
#12872 4 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

... In fact, as far as LE features, I would go as far as to say that the color changing GI in the LE is a negative for me. Having the GI light up the whole game neon pink and all colors of the rainbow on the LE works on a theme like WOZ, but just honestly doesn't fit a darker Pirate themed game well. ...

Interesting. I prefer a color changing GI feature on games whenever it's available and Pirates is no exception.

1 month later
#13191 4 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

...what is the consensus now? Good game? A lot of issues? Please tell me its better than Hobbit....

Quoted from LesManley:

Good game? It's better than a good game. Top 4 all time for me easily. I consider myself very lucky to have been able to pick one up like I did. And yes...much better than Hobbit.

Pirates is a FANTASTIC game! Like none other.

And FWIW, I LOVE my Hobbit too! Both games have their unique strengths.

#13216 4 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I'll repost my opinion on this from earlier in the thread...
"You shouldn't limit yourself to an LE/CE IMHO. I've played both versions extensively and I ended up buying an SE. I saved a lot of money that way and I am extremely happy with it. There aren't really any gameplay differences minus the star map and honestly hardly anyone understands and/or uses it anyway. And to compensate, it shows you the shots on the playfield to replace it. In fact, as far as LE features, I would go as far as to say that the color changing GI in the LE is a negative for me. Having the GI light up the whole game neon pink and all colors of the rainbow on the LE works on a theme like WOZ, but just honestly doesn't fit a darker Pirate themed game well. All the inserts still color change on the SE anyway."
That said, I am not a big cosmetic mod guy, some people are. I wouldn't pay anything for upgraded glass, it's just not necessary in my experience. The powercoat is just black instead of chrome, the topper is nothing special and I already said the color changing GI isn't worth it to me. I don't need an external headphone jack, etc. Back when the difference between a NIB SE and LE was $1000 I could definitely see the value there for some people, but now it seems like the difference is $1500 between the two models on the second hand market and that definitely wasn't worth the extra cost to me on a game that already greatly exceeded my normal pinball machine spending range.

I must respectfully disagree. The Pirates LE is more than worth the additional cost for those of us thst vslue aesthetics.

#13220 4 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I agree with you. As far as upgrades go for an LE and value, it blows most other games out of the water...for those that value cosmetic upgrades. For someone like me who does not put much value in them and tends to be more thrifty buying games, when I can save over $1000 and get the exact same playing game as an LE minus the star map...I'm going to save the $1000 every time.

Fair enough. And for someone like me who values a complete gameplay experience, another $1,000 is well worth the cost of maximixing the visua appeal of-an already $8,500 minimum entertainment investment.

#13270 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

... Funny how the more popular characters have the lamest features

Here's to the long awaited (as well as promised) code update, that will enhance various characters' benefits and negatives even more, finally being delivered in 2020!

A game as great as Pirates DESERVES finished code!

ARRRR!!!

1 month later
#13767 4 years ago

IEPinball (@troz) streaming v1.02 beta code right now on Twitch. Some very cool new stuff!

#13770 4 years ago

I only saw Marty being played tonight. Marty now spawns gold like it's going out of style! YUGE amounts but only in single point value coins. Typical well played and LONG Karl DeAngelo game.

For those interested: Karl to stream again this coming Fri evening on Twitch and feature other characters' new benefits.

#13774 4 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

I had to be up at 4 am so didn’t get to watch much. Did he mention anything about the final wizard mode being in game or any bug fixes?

I didn't catch any info on these in what I saw.

Noticed this AM that Skipnatty/Buffalo Pinball also has a beta code stream recorded on Twitch. Jersey Jack was in chat too so more good info available there.

#13849 4 years ago
Quoted from bgwilly31:

First off just wanted to share i replaced the Shooter rod spring with a stronger one from pinball life. And my plunger performs perfectly now. ...

What color spring did you install?

2 weeks later
#14141 4 years ago
Quoted from V4Vendetta:

... This is where I need ur input. I want to put a 3rd item to finish it and can't decide which one I like better. I found a cup with a cthuhu design on it and it kinda looks like davy jones so i think it fits the pin perfectly and other is jack's compass.
which one do you like better?

Nice! I like the cup along with the dice.

1 week later
#14221 4 years ago

As someone who SHOULD REALLY own a Houdini but can't convince myself to give up a slot to put it in my room I can say the two reasons I don't are because the shots are rediculously hard which makes it less than fun and the animation/graphics are a slap in the face to the great Erich Weiss and Jean-Eugène Robert-Houdin. No but really, they suck horribly. A "chiller" font fluorescent turd. ...

As a Houdini owner who enjoys the game, I strongly disagree. FWIW.

#14227 4 years ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

Does anyone have the disc silencer from the mod couple? I was wondering if it worked well and if it is easy to install. Thanks in advance

A key word search of this thread will turn up past posts reflecting mixed results. It didn't have any noticeable effect with my game's noisy disk, but other POTC owners have found it to be effective.

2 weeks later
#14403 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

So I love this guys videos.....well done. Really great player
I noticed his video captured this random sound that I’ve never figured out what it is. Check it out. Happens right at 12:10 in (maybe start 12:08) and it sounds like “uuugggghhh”
What does that tie to?

Yep - Karl's streams are the best for seeing all that a game offers. Wish I had even half his playing skills! Not all of his streams make it to his YouTube channel - so make sure to check out those on his Twitch channel (IE Pinball) before they expire if you haven't already.

The "uuuuggghh" sound that I'm hearing appears to be part of Tortuga multiball and these seem to correspond with items being tossed across the screen for the most part. Don't know if these are triggered by hitting anything in particular.

1 week later
#14492 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

that's exactly it. I rather not let that drama spill into this thread too. Enough of it. Anyone who wants to sell their pins for cheap, PM me. Otherwise don't stir the pot and try to make something out of it. Let's keep it on target.

Easy there Boss.

1 month later
#14900 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Awesome! Can we get him to light a fire under Keith for the update? (Kidding, I know he’s got a lot going on). Interesting he confirmed on the Buffalo Pinball interview that he would not release the update until the final Wizard is in there.
I was a little surprised about his mini rant about people wanting the update “just for a Wizard mode most wont even get to”. I doubt I’ll make it to that final mode, but I know there’s other stuff being updated. I wouldn’t mind some damn attract mode
Music, for example. Or some more licensed content integrated. The game is amazing. There is no question. But I’m actually starting to think that Lyman’s EHOH is giving it a run for its money.

Or some shaker motor action when you sink the Dauntless!

Surprising that this has been neglected given Keith is such a big shaker motor fan.

2 months later
#15330 3 years ago

Arrr me buckos!

POTC (resized).jpgPOTC (resized).jpg

1 week later
#15357 3 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

I like it. I haven't seen the movies so I have no idea if there are any mermaids, but then the game is so loosely tied to POTC, who cares!?

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

One of them had a mermaid as part of the plot, if I recall correctly. Not sure which movie

Movie #4 - On Stranger Tides. Mermaids were featured thoughout; the one below in particular. The OST chapter "Do Not Waste My Tear" has special significance within the movie's plot (what there was of it) too.

Pirates-Caribbean-4-Mermaid (resized).jpgPirates-Caribbean-4-Mermaid (resized).jpg

#15362 3 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

They really dropped the ball with that one IMHO. No one cares about Syrena or Philip, especially Philip. A total throwaway character. They had a great villain in Blackbeard and wasted him and set up a cliffhanger with Angelica and then wasted that too. I know they gimped the budget for it, but there was way too much on land action and much of the good stuff with Barbossa, his leg and the Pearl in the Bottle happens off screen. I love the films, but this one was weak.

Yep - I watched all 5 movies because of JJP POTC and this one was my least favorite.

#15366 3 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

From a game play stand point I am creeping closer to my goal of getting all the characters over 5 million. Only 4 left, including Cotton who sucks...but if I can get 10 mil+ with Weatherby Swan in a single player game, I can break 5 mil with Cotton. [quoted image]

Wow! "I don't know if I've ever seen better piratin'!"

Except for The Pirates King - Karl DeAngelo, of course.

Nicely done nonetheless! I have "scabby seabass" scores in comparison.

#15374 3 years ago

Hats off to mountaingamer for his cannons mod! I decided to frame the center of my POTC's playfield with them rather than install them both on the Black Pearl ramp.

Huzzah!

DSC05419 (resized).JPGDSC05419 (resized).JPG

#15394 3 years ago

Hey ye land lubbers! Update that plain old flasher cover with something fun and unique. Flashers bright in your eyes? ...

Arrr! This landlubber's in - order placed! Gonna have to move my Mod Couple pooch/barrel flasher cover, but I've found a great spot to put the little guy.

Thanks Scott!

#15406 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I was cleaning under the Dauntless today and found this cool artwork. You'll never see it unless the Dauntless is removed. Cool Easter Egg!

Aye matey - 'tis cool to be sure!

But it be under the Endeavor on my game.

1 week later
#15460 3 years ago

So I never really thought twice about the original white pop bumper bodies/skirts on my POTC until I recently saw one of Karl DeAngelo's IE Pinball Twitch streams in which he pointed out that he had changed them to black on his game and thought they looked much nicer. I found myself agreeing and having to follow suit. Along with installing Jack Sparrow too while I was at it (which Karl did as well).

Thanks for the inspiration Karl!

BEFORE:
JJP POTC pop bumpers BEFORE (resized).JPGJJP POTC pop bumpers BEFORE (resized).JPG

AFTER:
JJP POTC pop bumpers AFTER (resized).JPGJJP POTC pop bumpers AFTER (resized).JPG

#15464 3 years ago

Digging the new "Piratey Lantern Flasher" mod I just added to my game - thank you Pinball Mod Co!

Had to relocate the "Jailhouse Dog" flasher mod (courtesy of The Mod Couple) I previously had there, but I'm pleased with the pooch's new location alongside the escape "E" outlane! (Okay - I know this is technically the "Escape the Locker" lane and the jailhouse dog had nothing to do with it, but close enough eh? And he fits so perfectly looking up at you too! )

DSC05475 (resized).JPGDSC05475 (resized).JPG
DSC05478 (resized).JPGDSC05478 (resized).JPG
DSC05484 (resized).JPGDSC05484 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#15493 3 years ago

Arrr! (take 2)

JJP POTC Kraken (resized).jpgJJP POTC Kraken (resized).jpg

1 week later
#15516 3 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

So close...just Cotton left to get all my characters scores over 5 million and once I get it, I am done. ...

It's interesting that your highest score is with Marty and Weatherby Swann is so high (3rd) too.

#15524 3 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

He's one of my "go to" characters to try to get to wizard modes in the new beta code. You'll like the new character trait balancing once that code is finalized.

Great. Until that time though ... he sucks.

1 week later
#15589 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Hey all,
I’ve been contemplating moving the post over the “I” lane. Mine gobbles everything. With the clear coat issues I’ve been leery that it might chip. Has anyone done this? Any advice?

I moved mine a long time ago. No regrets.

That outlane still drains its fair share of balls too.

#15609 3 years ago

Found a mermaid for my game:

POTC Mermaid 4 (resized).JPGPOTC Mermaid 4 (resized).JPG

POTC Mermaid 1 (resized).JPGPOTC Mermaid 1 (resized).JPG

#15611 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Is that Areola?

Yep - Ariel's wilder cousin.

#15619 3 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

Very nice..who doesn’t love topless mermaids? Where did you source this and how is she mounted?

Etsy is your friend. You can buy this as an unpainted kit or assembled and custom painted. I chose the latter and had the seller paint her in a blue/green scheme. Just have to request.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/632487270/resin-kit-model-naked-figure-girl

I installed a small eye into her and secured it with a mini zip tie through an existing hole in the ramp assembly.

FWIW: Ronin (the manufacturer) also offers another mermaid as well:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/538507410/action-figure-mermaid-model-sculpture

#15620 3 years ago

As a bonus, the larger accessory base that came with the mermaid, served to cover the coil assembly behind the treasure chest. Something that has always bugged me a little visually.

POTC mermaid accessory (resized).JPGPOTC mermaid accessory (resized).JPG

#15621 3 years ago

Nada

3 weeks later
#15681 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Looks like a brand new POTC to me...

That's Slash's personal road POTC. Takes it with him EVERYWHERE.

#15695 3 years ago
Quoted from jarozi:

... Has anyone ordered the opening chest mod recently? Have all the kinks been worked out? I was holding out for a mod that used the forks like on the proto, but I guess that one isn't happening so may jump on harryhoudini's mod.

I have it installed on my Pirates and highly recommend it. Works great and a must mod IMHO!

Not only is it a great visual indicator for when the chest is ready to lock a ball, it's REALLY cool to see the chest actually open and close while hearing the accompanying creaking sound effect that's already in the game!

#15701 3 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Joined the club today! It was between this or GnR, and I think I made the right move for me. This game really shines more in a home setting.

Congrats! Can't say yet whether I agree with your contention, but I look forward to making my own comparison!

3 weeks later
#15869 3 years ago
Quoted from attyrhodes:

Hey y'all, about to join the club today. Any specific things I should be looking for when I test it out? Common issues things like that

Congrats and welcome! I find that drinking and saying "Arrr!" a lot while playing my Pirates makes it even more fun!

YMMV

#15870 3 years ago

Ok - one thing to be aware of, that I still have to periodically contend with, is that the weight of the playfield* causes it to settle lower over time in the cabinet. This causes the shooter rod to catch the automated plunge mech and lose plunging power which in turn, hinders the ability to go for a full plunge skill shot. The short-term solution has been to bend the playfield catches (that hook into the front of the cabinet) back to restore the playfield height and eliminate the plunger conflict.

* No doubt exacerbated by all the damn mods I've added to my game. Curse you Mod Couple and Lior!

#15895 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:Just shoot that shot one time.
Purple = Spinner
Red = Maelstrom ramp
Yellow = orbit to the left of the chest
Green = chest
Blue = Inner orbit from upper flipper

And ... the initial time you hit one of these, the applicable movie cannon porthole will open on the screen, cannon will fire, and the randomly selected chapter name will be displayed. Selected chapter will change each time qualifying shot made again, if not played beforehand.

#15899 3 years ago

So to prepare a chapter for starting you just need to shoot one of those 5 shots, and then to start a chapter after you've done that single shot preparation, you then shoot the 'star map' or 'Jack' shot... which is the shot with the up-post in front of it and the magnet that makes the ball go crazy... so just 2 shots starts a chapter?

Yep. The more movie chapters you have qualified (up to all five movies) beforehand though, the greater the point multiplier awarded upon playing a chapter.

#15901 3 years ago

Ahh, I see... I think... so you can shoot 1 to 5 of the qualifying shots prior to starting a chapter, the more you shoot, the more the chapter is worth... ?

Correct. The more movies (up to all 5) that you qualify (by shooting their respective shot) before you shoot the Star Map/Jack shot to start a chapter, the higher the multiplier. The applicable multiplier info is displayed once you start playing a chapter.

#15912 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Yes and I always choose her for that reason

Always?!

#15914 3 years ago

I like Elizabeth Swann, but too many other good choices avail as well for me to pick her more than 10% of the time.

I probably play Caryna Smyth more for example.

#15977 3 years ago
Quoted from attyrhodes:

Anyone have a good method for avoiding SDTM after the ball releases from the star map? Such a frustrating way to drain.

Yes, but not as aggravating as when the ball drains out of the lower "I" lane, rather than returning all the way to the left flipper, after being ejected from the Depths VUK. Happens to me more (and too) often.

#15981 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

This was happening to me a lot too - I addressed it by releveling the machine and put a tiny bit of silicone lube on that gate

Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I addressed this issue by lowering the kick out power from The Depths. I still get the drain, but rarely.

Thanks! I've actually tried these solutions as well as @zaphX's gate trim, but unfortunately, I still get these drains occasionally. Very sporadic, but very frustrating when it happens. Need to experiment more.

1 month later
#16134 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Granted I am an admitted Crappy player I was curious what types of scores some of you are achieving? Don't recall seeing any crazy 100 million numbers but I suspect some of you that mastered the rules must be getting some great score adventures. Think I capped out around 10 million but again, I suck....lol

If 10 million on POTC leaves you still thinking you suck, there's no hope for me in your pinball world!

1 week later
#16153 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Crappy games need love to. I think the current code on POTC plays better then those games without even turning it on.

As a former Can Crusher owner, I can attest to this. No contest between it and JJP POTC code-wise!

That said, as opposed to POTC, Can Crusher is intended to be a simpler throwback game. It's a fun game in its own right and I'm curious as to what code improvements have now been made.

1 week later
#16170 3 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

Got the open and close Chest mod for Christmas. How easy is that to install?

Dive in - you'll be glad you did! Mine took a bit of time to hook up and adjust (had to trim the shaft) just right, but works perfectly and is VERY cool! The installation videos on YouTube were a bit confusing as they each only covered a portion and the product evolved since the original ones were made, but Scott at Pinball Mod Co. is very helpful if needed.

#16173 3 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

How long should it take and is there a "Best" video or instructions to follow? I should have the latest version as it was just bought.

It probably will take you a few hours. I bought mine over a year ago and then didn't get around to installing it for quite a while - as a result I don't recall what directions came with it. I did end up going to YouTube and consulting the available videos at The Pinball Mod Co's channel. There wasn't a single "best" one that covered everything. This one from about 10 months ago appears to be the most recent. Just work backwards to find older applicable ones. Or even better - PM Scott (@harrryhoudini) and check with him. Good luck and enjoy!

1 month later
#16378 3 years ago

Added another mermaid to my POTC today. Cause one just wasn't enough!

20210211_084507_resized (resized).jpg20210211_084507_resized (resized).jpg

20210211_084551_resized (resized).jpg20210211_084551_resized (resized).jpg

1 week later
#16433 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Hey Karl, totally off topic question.
I see you own a Pro JP2. Do you feel the Premium features aren't necessary? The one Stern game I'd definitely consider, and the Pro seems so nicely priced!

He has a JP Premium coming.

2 weeks later
#16605 3 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

Thanks to Robert Stone, I now have a rare POTC LE “Gold Vein” edition What an improvement over the factory plain black hardware, I’m loving this new look!

Nice! I've been considering this for my POTC.

Did you purchase a separate set of legs, rails etc. or do the orig black ones now go to Robert for his next customer?

Also - not a coin door powder coating fan?

1 week later
#16639 3 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

... It's got to the point where I don't even want to tell people I have one, whereas before I was thrilled about it.

Say it loud, say it proud: JJP POTC is the GOAT!!!

They love to hear that.

2 months later
#16872 2 years ago
Quoted from Stef95:

I have a question about the left hand "devil's triangle" ramp. I don't know if C is normal, but it is really difficult for the ball to go around to trigger the multiball or to validate a super jackpot. I waxed my playing field and it was going a little better but it is as if the ball was braked at some point. I just wanted to know if C is a super random shot for everyone or if there is some magic formula to make the ball go around more easily. Or if you just need a super precise ball trajectory and I have to improve it ..

I found that I needed to bend the ball guide inwards in the area of the Devil's Triangle turnaround area rollover switch in order to force the ball to properly roll over it. Works MUCH better now for triggering multiball #5 (purple colored "Dead Men Tell No Tales")!

#16877 2 years ago
Quoted from Stef95:

That was it!! I pushed the ball guide inward. I just played a game and I managed to hit 7 super jackpots that had never happened to me! It changes everything It's really cool

Aye matey - that be the ball guide I was referrin' to. Now plunder that scurvy jackpot!

Arrr!

2 weeks later
#16911 2 years ago
Quoted from paulbaptiste:

Now I need to understand scoring. I've yet to develop a strategy for the pirate lane rewards or how to effectively take advantage of the bonus ect and getting the most of modes and wizard modes. ...

Watch Karl DeAngelo's POTC gameplay videos. He is a master at strategy and scoring.

And his flipper skills are pretty good too!

#16917 2 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

I think this trait is only in the Beta code?

Yep. Unless you're playing multiplayer and don't want to be plundered, Weatherby Swann is pretty much worthless under the current game code.

#16920 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

So when the hell is this code going to be released ?

Good question. I'd at least like to have the beta version that various streamers have been playing with for some time now.

1 month later
#16995 2 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

I never play mine anymore and still have a bunch of mods to install including full Radcals set. It’s just a huge money pit and dust collector at this point, I’ve thought about selling it and may soon. Frankly, the game is too valuable now to play and I don’t have a spare playfield. If JJP ever finishes the code, I may start playing it again. Let’s hope it comes, eventually

My God man - you are missing out! Just sayin' as we seem to have similar tastes in games and my POTC is just WAY to fun to play to worry about code updates or future value. You bought it to play and enjoy right?

2 months later
#17147 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Yeah I still have it so far
It's interesting, I almost never go for the chapter completions but going for sixes is always a rush.
Something about the colorful banners really incentivizes getting it filled with all 5+Tortuga.

Leaving the POTC club?!

Guess if you got anywhere near your asking price, nobody can fault you though. Congrats on the sale!

#17157 2 years ago

... I find it hard to tell how close I am to starting a multiball, there's probably an indication of how many shots are needed to start them, but I've not noticed that...

Progress toward starting each is shown on the screen. Graphically on the map for each of the 5 movie multiballs and via gold count in lower right corner for Tortuga (need 50 to activate saucer shot to start 1st, 100 for second, ...).

#17162 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Purple: Spinner rips to the depths shot

And then rolling over activated switch further up in Depths area. This last part can be a challenge as the ball doesn't always trigger this switch due to the geometry of the turnaround area. I needed to bend the guide rail (next to the switch) inwards on my game to improve this.

Regarding the spinner rips to The Depths... is there any way to tell how close you are to starting that? ...

Number of spins translates to how far along the required path on the screen that the ship travels. Much like the ring traveling (via spinner hits) in Hobbit. Multiball requirement is reduced if you're playing the Captain Armando Salazar character.

2 weeks later
#17228 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

No final wizard mode yet. Anyone claiming they could even achieve the requirements for the final wizard mode are lying - they are absolutely not possible to complete without cheating. So just wait until the final release

REAL pirates think nothing of cheating! Just sayin'.

Arrr!

#17270 2 years ago
Quoted from mtp78:

What's the odds they will re run this game ?
2nd line is up making WW, new code and POTC selling for insane money.....

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-jjp-make-more-potc

magic-8-ball (resized).pngmagic-8-ball (resized).png

#17283 2 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

Just posting this in general response.
... I will share what I can think of here but it isn't for the faint of heart as you do need to be Techy I suppose. ...

Thanks for posting this info! I wish I had seen it sooner though as I was able to finally get on Telegram; and find, download and then upload the new code into my POTC last evening, but this info would have made the process much clearer than it was.

I have not done anything with Scorbit yet though and have a potentially dumb question now: Do I need both a WiFi and Bluetooth dongle for each of my games to do so? I was thinking I only needed a WiFi dongle and could just attach it to the USB socket provided inside the cabinet near the coinbox.

1 week later
#17317 2 years ago

POTC is a helluva game!

#17321 2 years ago
Quoted from Mikespinball:

Looks great, but I think you posted this in the wrong thread.

Oops

4564f5476863f3d9a4f671f3b2d0315a--gilda-radner-cheddar (resized).jpg4564f5476863f3d9a4f671f3b2d0315a--gilda-radner-cheddar (resized).jpg

2 months later
#17408 2 years ago
Quoted from PlayPin:

Curious what game owners prefer that have both Pirates and Wonka?

I have both as well and enjoy Pirates more.

FWIW, I like all 5 of my JJP games, but Pirates is definitely my favorite. I need to get more time in on Wonka and GnR though.

#17418 2 years ago

I have two games (POTC & TBL) that have been awaiting final wizard mode code forever seemingly, but it really doesn't matter for the time being as the current code on each is VERY fun as is, AND ... I've yet to come close to qualifying for the final wizard mode on either one anyway.

I'm still confident that the final code will be fantastic for both games! In the meantime, I'll just keep practicing and "honing my skills" in anticipation of their eventual arrival.

#17419 2 years ago
Quoted from PlayPin:

Thanks for you input. So cool you have both of these awesome games.

What do you think it is you like more about Pirates? Seems like a super deep game. You can choose from a ton of characters. Does code feel finished?

Yeah - I'm playing the current beta version and it plays great! To be sure, I'm awaiting certain polishes along with a final wizard mode yet, but in the meantime POTC has damn fine code. Very satisfying - even "unfinished" as it is. Not everyone's perfect game by any means either (currently anyway), but no game ever has been.

For me, it's all about the vibe that a games exudes (via its collective elements of artwork, audio, layout, callouts, mechs, etc.). Even though it doesn't have actual film clips with actors (which it often catches flack for), it does a fabulous job of capturing the POTC movie franchise environment that is not only cool to see and hear, but also plays really well with a wide variety of shots that only a well designed widebody layout can offer! Love all the character options, film related multiballs, and the multiple strategy paths (modes vs movie chapters) to reaching a wizard mode to name a few of the game's strong points!

3 weeks later
#17472 2 years ago

I rarely, if ever, pay attention to the star map. Too much else to focus on.

I believe 10 shots made qualifies an extra ball shot. I just rely on randomly making these in the course of regular gameplay.

#17474 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Ten -star map- shots.

Correct.

2 weeks later
#17480 2 years ago
Quoted from Mrsiyufy:I have a cup holder that goes great with the theme. ...

Arr! We be drinkin' our POTC grog from a barrel now!

Thank ye matey!
POTC barrel cup holder 2 (resized).jpgPOTC barrel cup holder 2 (resized).jpg

#17488 2 years ago

... Okay pirate collector's, what's your thoughts? ... too big, overbearing etc. ...

I salute your creativity, but ... yes. (IMHO)

Sorry.

1 week later
#17500 1 year ago
Quoted from manadams:

Do most of you turn the ball save on for start of ball/plunges? This game has so many ways of screwing you until you can get the multiball stacking going which for me it's usually ball three.

Yep - typical set up on my games is 10 sec ball save (unless unavailable as with my Bally EBD) and 3-ball play w/ standard code extra ball(s).

My POTC will screw you, but nothing too blatant and seems somewhat fitting with the scurvy dog pirate theme. Arrr!

2 weeks later
#17515 1 year ago
Quoted from PinDeadHead:

I drove 600 miles r/t today, met the seller half way, made the deal at a truck stop, and was home by 1pm. So psyched!
[quoted image]

Congrats! Beautiful shooter! Major risk of damage to leave on while transporting though.

Learned this lesson the hard way on a STTNG that was shipped to me.

#17519 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I never liked the look. Like a schlong hanging off the cab, and wreaks havoc with the skill shots.

But ... it's a piratey schlong!

Arrr!

#17528 1 year ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Thanks for your feedback. I have the little pile of coins and it rubs me the wrong way. Not really loving Lior's either. I will keep looking. ...

I started out with The Mod Couple's coin pile action button mod and currently have Lior's installed. In between, I went with this larger coins mod which I always liked. I don't think the Pinsider that made & offered it for sale at the time, still does.

POTC action button coins 1 (resized).JPGPOTC action button coins 1 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#17536 1 year ago

No discussion so far of Elite Pinball Toppers' just released JJP POTC topper?

https://elitepinballtoppers.com/products-usa/ols/products/elite-pinball-topper-100-units-worldwide

#17550 1 year ago
Quoted from Sixtieskid:

Im in...Sold Out in 2 hours

I'm in too. They had me at "Direct bolt on".

#17585 1 year ago
Quoted from LesManley:

... Am I missing something?

It's the overall effect. Makes you feel like a buccaneer on the high seas! Arrr!

For full info sake, additional features from Elite Pinball Toppers' flyer:

* Flickering candlelight effect inside pirate ship
* Tentacles interact with game play / action button
* Waves INTERACT with moving Black Pearl ship on Playfield
* 220 individually addressable RGB LED’s (in total)
* Custom LED light shows and attract modes
* Lightning effects on HD monitor interact with RGB LED’s to create a stunning 4D effect
* 72 RBG LED’s on the back of the topper create ocean like effects on your wall / ceiling
* Exclusive CNC cut, hand polished, aluminum, numbered plaque
* Hand gilded genuine 24k gold - Pirate Coin (Use as a mod or collector keep-sake)
* Goodie bag with a detailed set of printed instructions, power cables, and all necessary items to install your topper

1 month later
#17645 1 year ago

Considering selling my Elite topper. Open to offers.

Mod - For Sale
New (selling multiple) - “Brand new - just received. Still in box. #28 of 100

On the fence whether I will install on my LE or sell. Make me an offer via PM.”

2022-05-27
Kitsap, WASHINGTON
Archived after: 5 days
Viewed: 191 times
Contributed to Pinside

Added 21 months ago:

Update: SALE PENDING

#17648 1 year ago

I wish! This topper would be even more delightful if it included a built-in "tunaroma" unit.

Arrr!

Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Depp has been officially replaced by Disney for Jack Sparrow role.
i wonder what that means for future POTC machines if anything?

The sky's the limit if Johnny Depp's replacement is "The Rock". New Super CE edition for JJP?

https://insidethemagic.net/2022/05/dwayne-johnson-replace-johnny-depp-another-pirates-film-ab1mmb/

1 month later
#17742 1 year ago
Quoted from bbble:

Anyone out there have the large coin Aztec gold lockdown-bar topper around the action button available ?
Thanks

Are you referring to this?
3d35f0b18484d0c1b317f11f02f1a16fcba13fc7 (resized).jpg3d35f0b18484d0c1b317f11f02f1a16fcba13fc7 (resized).jpg

#17745 1 year ago

Ah hah. mountaingamer made and offered these larger coin beauties a few years ago, but he doesn't appear to have been active on Pinside for quite a while.

I actually gave mine away to another Pinsider a few months ago after I had replaced it with Lior's action button surround mod.

You can probably create your own without too much effort if you can find similar plastic coins. Good luck!

2 months later
#17836 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

The way the 6 multiballs come together is a rush unique to POTC.

Totally agree.

JJP games (POTC included) seem to get criticized a lot for too many multiballs, and I can concur to a certain extent (looking at you GnR), but I've never felt that way about Pirates.

#17840 1 year ago

Nice - I could sure use a "surgery room" that size!

Good luck with your POTC's operation!

#17845 1 year ago

The only games I've installed Pinwoofer systems in are my POTC and Hobbit. This was a few years ago and their product/installation requirements have evolved since.

#17853 1 year ago
Quoted from jake35:

Crazy story to share that happened not long ago. ...

Congrats and welcome to the JJP POTC owners club!

That be quite the CE tale matey. Arrr!

2 weeks later
#17860 1 year ago

Getting ready for vacation. I am taking this with me to read on the plane and at the pool. Have owned this machine for over three years now and still need to figure out all that's going on. Wish me luck.

Good luck hefting that around. That's a lot of weight to carry if you're just looking to better understand gameplay. Keep in mind that the applicable section will give you the basics, but doesn't reflect the latest code either.

Otherwise - enjoy!

1 week later
#17872 1 year ago

I think that as an original JJP POTC owner, not only do I deserve a 1.0 code update, but given the delay to date ... complete actor video clips and callouts (from all 5 films!) should be included as well now!

Hmmm ... perhaps if we all ask JJP nicely in writing!

jack-sparrow-laughing.gifjack-sparrow-laughing.gif

2 weeks later
#17890 1 year ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

It's great to see you still making enhancements for this game!

Quoted from arzoo:

I'm in, take my money!

Quoted from Heater:

Once again Scott, we'll done! Looking forward to ordering it!

+1

2 weeks later
#17956 1 year ago

X

Quoted from EaglePin:

Best way to make the chest shot from the left flipper is to stage flip. ...

I just time the shot without staging. Not super easy, but not overly difficult either on my game. Just enough power to land it smoothly into the chest and so satisfying!

As well as worthy of a celebratory beverage draw afterwards while the game is paused for a new ball plunge!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple
Protection
289 posts in this topic match your search for posts by tuna_delight. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tuna_delight.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club?tu=tuna_delight and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.