(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,885 posts
  • 633 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 39 hours ago by Buzzie
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pirates2 (resized).jpg
IMG_2296 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2297 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2298 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2299 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2301 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2300 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240330_165232 (resized).jpg
POTC_Mods_annotated (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 12.02.54 PM (resized).png
17117301082711484468150429261795 (resized).jpg
20240329_160033 (resized).jpg
431321214_1110342276953195_8816628931148154685_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #222 Liar's Dice rules explained! Posted by goren1818 (5 years ago)

Post #644 Rules flow chart Posted by Rbviessman (5 years ago)

Post #1021 How to fix black pearl lamps Posted by Yelobird (5 years ago)

Post #1360 Black Pearl flippers are uneven when in upper position - Fix Posted by evh347 (5 years ago)

Post #2468 Hardware fix for balls getting hung up during multiball. Posted by Pinballpal (5 years ago)

Post #2892 Adjustment for auto plunger not hitting balls cleanly or correctly Posted by Pinballpal (5 years ago)

Post #3974 Deadflip stream from Valentine’s Day 2019. Posted by Tuna_Delight (5 years ago)

Post #4014 POTC trouble shooting guide Posted by zaphX (5 years ago)

Post #4856 Possibly let distributor go through machine and get it tuned in. Posted by dgposter (5 years ago)

Post #6315 Fix for dauntless positioning, canon shots not landing Posted by Yelobird (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robbyirl5.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15120 3 years ago

Hello all, picked up LE this game a few days ago, and am hooked. 2 days in and my high score is in to 200,000’s, and that was on a couple multiplied skilled shots when using Will (all happened in 20 seconds). Not sure I even completed any chapters. I have completed plenty of chapters but just not high score games. Is this game, on top of having massively complex Rules (in a good way) also hard as hell in just the pinball mechanics? I seem to be getting an excessive amount of drains (like out of the Jack / chapter start and Tartuga hole)? Maybe I need to adjust playfield angles (don’t have an inclinometer yet) but front/back is around 6.5 degrees. Or maybe it’s just pinball.

Anyway super excited about the purchase and completely hooked (to the extent we watched the movies tonight), but wondering if I’ll ever get to 7 figures scores.

With 300 pages in the forum topic, I guess I have a lot of reading to do.

#15123 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Yeah, check your level but drains from the mode start (star map?) is a very common complaint. We are all expecting a ball save coming out of there in the next software update.
Tortuga you could check the angle of the scoop or change power settings. There’s a whole thread dedicated to troubleshooting this pin. Look for it. Its well indexed so you can usually find references to any problems that come up.
Edit: here it is
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues

nice, thanks for the tips guys. Link is amazing info. Found a couple of applicable posts.

#15125 3 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

For Tortuga drains, it's most likely the scoop deflector has come loose. That's what happened with mine. I added some blue locktite and tightened the two screws back down and it's been fine ever since.

This was the case on mine. Didn’t want to pull the pop bumper off so just tightened the screw I could get to and solved the issue (temporarily until I can get the bumper off).

#15133 3 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

For Tortuga drains, it's most likely the scoop deflector has come loose. That's what happened with mine. I added some blue locktite and tightened the two screws back down and it's been fine ever since.

So initially the deflector was loose, and I thought I fixed it. Then noticed I did for most, the ball was now mostly going to the left flipper vs the right and down the drain. Just had a drain in my high score game from the tartuga vuk on the last ball, thought I was going to put my fist through the glass.

Screws are tight with as much left angle On the deflector as possible. Interestingly, there is hardly (If any) a difference when I adjust the coil strength. Possible the assembly beneath the playfield could be loose, or maybe a coil (or sleeve) issue?

What should the expected behavior be? The same (Or close) every time? Left flipper? Or is it supposed to be dangerous and drain one out of three?

Thank you!

#15139 3 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Does your tortuga VUK have the updated "plate" that the ball hits when it kicks out? It should never go SDTM. It should always feed the left flipper every time. My first POTC had this problem, and after I got the updated version of the plate, I never had a single SDTM in 1000 games. My current POTC has the updated VUK and never has a drain from the tortuga VUK.

Great question. How would I know if it’s the updated plate, and is there a part number or where would I get it? Ended my attempt to get the high character score with Cotton tonight .

Thank you!

#15142 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Look at the pictures of the updated one. It's bigger and reaches over the up kicker.

Open a ticket on the support desk.
LTG : )
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Yes thank you and done. I have the small one. Big one is free, on the way!

#15157 3 years ago

Hi all, playing a ton, finally getting some good games, but still don’t have that once in a lifetime game yet. For now just working on getting high scores for each Character and about halfway there. Wanted to ask, is there a scoring or strategy guide topic for this game? Also, is there a way to get The ball safely from the left flipper to the right flipper? It works vice versa hitting the flipper twice quickly. Thanks!

1 week later
#15178 3 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I've been playing Pirates still with the low man on the totem pole character selection method. I play primarily for completion, but also try to be aware of point opportunities. I've gotten through all the game chapters twice now, my first time with Marty were I got 15 mil and then with Elizabeth but only got 9 mil that time. I had a goal to get everyone over 3 mil and did that and I'm almost at everyone over 4 mil, but it is getting hard as you need a pretty good game to bust 4 mil and with how unforgiving the game can be, even a good start is easily wasted. Case in point, I was just playing Will got a 75k skill shot on my initial plunge and the shot to MAP hole gave me an EB which never happens, so 10 seconds in I'm at 80k with an EB. I had a good game, was climbing the points ladder fast but that changed quick. Last two balls were vintage Pirates, couldn't hit the Dead Men Tell No Tales shot to start MB and drained out both times in seconds, first drain I missed my bonus and skull hold so everything reset on me. Game ended at 3.8 mil. On my Pintel score of 3.982 I tilted out my ball 3 bonus which would have put me over 4 mil which was disappointing. I think I am going to have to start ignoring completion and focus on scoring opportunities almost exclusively to get everyone over 4 mil and then hopefully even 5 mil because it's just not even worth playing wizard modes if you don't have a high skull value and/or multipliers and SJPs. With the game code like it is, there isn't really a point to try to get through them when there is no value. You have to be so focused on holding skull values and bonus, if you ignore it to get further in the game it really becomes a detriment to your game.
[quoted image]

Ugh.... I was pretty excited about my 1.5M score. Clearly I have much to learn!!!

#15185 3 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

You should be excited about your 1.5 mil game! You could have progressed really well in the game, but just didn't have things going at the right time to get your score way up there, this game is such a game of timing. Scoring can be so varied in this game even with similar progress. I'm finding more and more how important it is to try to set up scoring opportunities because there just isn't many individual big points to be had like in most other games. For me, it's hard to wrap my head around the fact that playing a wizard mode in certain instances doesn't really make sense since normally in other games they are mainly big point opportunities. JJP Pirates is a very involved game with everything going on. I wouldn't claim to know everything there is by any means as I'm still learning too, but as soon as you start figuring out little things and putting them together, that's when your scores can get big, but it's hard. The game can be very unforgiving when you start shooting very specific shots and/or stand up targets that can send the ball out of control. Your best bet for a high single point value is a super jackpot shot, but some of those are extremely difficult to get even 1 or 2 and even when you do they are only around 45k without a multiplier. Most everything else "big" is around a few thousand un-multiplied, so without multipliers, held 6x bonuses and/or multiplied wizard modes it can take really long games to get your score up really high at that pace. It is so rewarding when you can line things up and manage not to lose the ball or the setup while doing it.

What I haven’t really figured out yet are the skull values / holds. Seem to default to 1000, and I’ve seen much more on some. When do these points apply? Every time I hit that skull lane again anytime? Or only when I hit the character after a chapter is started? How do I increase their value? I saw an increase in the Tartuga prize, can’t imagine that’s the only way. Also, how do I get a hold (I think I also saw in a Tartuga Prize)? And if one of the skulls is high, what’s the best way to take advantage of that high skull value? Thanks all!!!

#15196 3 years ago

Hoping I can get some feedback on what the flipper power should be (or how it is on your all’s in comparison). I think I’m fine but just curious. I have all coil settings to default.

Maelstrom - can make it up the ramp no issue from a hold on the right flipper.

Right ramp (leading to black pearl) - can not make it up the ramp from a left flipper hold. Makes it about halfway. Ball needs a pretty good run down one of the lanes.

Chest (when ready to lock) - can’t do it from the left flipper (can run it through when not in lock mode no issue). From the right flipper (even when just holding) it has to be a perfect shot (and I find myself pushing the flipper button harder lol). Get some rejects when it’s off just a hair or maybe the shot isn’t powerful enough.

Those are the only shots that really require power. Is this how it should be or do I need to up the flipper coil values and/or consider rebuilding (assuming not the case, machine was very well maintained before I got it).

Thanks!

#15198 3 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Maybe also check playfield pitch and lower it a bit if it's high. Should be able to make both right ramp and chest from the left flipper cradle. Also check that the chest forks are tight (no screws loose in the mech under the playfield).

I’ve got about a half a degree difference in the front and back, and I took the 6.5 in the middle so maybe a hair steep at the back. I did bump up the left flipper coil a few and it felt great.

Thanks for the advice.

#15212 3 years ago

I really appreciate some of the discussion on the rules. I was just trying to get the high score on each of the characters (my machine used to be on route), and down to the last few. I got to Scrum (I think I'm remembering that right, not looking at it), and got a 6X bonus, which is automatically held over by that character. Got my highest score ever of around 1.7M. So now I'm thinking the PIRATE lanes are really important. Which do you all find the most important to be able to score more? Love the Arrr Frenzy and of course the bonus multiplier was great (@6x), getting 150k after every ball.

Thanks!

#15228 3 years ago

I’m for putting a 5 second ball save on the chapter start / star map / jack little area After starting a chapter. Total nonsense to get a SDTM out of that. Rare, but annoying as hell! I’d say the same for the Tartuga drains but hoping the extended snubber bracket fixes that and it’s in the mail. Short vent over. Back to it.

#15231 3 years ago
Quoted from Zora:

You can minimize the drain risk a bit. Don‘t wait until the post drops and releases the ball. Just push the two flipper buttons at the end of the animation when the characters are shown at the screen. Themagnet will grab the ball again and move It in the star map area, so that it does not come down strait from the post.

That definitely works and it’s a rare problem (For me) but it sucks when on a good run and it happens. Tartuga drains are almost 33% of the time for me and it’s maddening. Have the new snubber bracket Coming but the mail couldn’t go any slower it seems.

#15245 3 years ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

This is also what I have done. No more drains, ever.

Actually did this and it worked great, however got the updated bracket in the mail, installed and now it’s perfect. Firmly puts the ball on the left flipper every time. Either works but for consistency, I’d get the new bracket.

#15272 3 years ago

Do you mind taking a picture of the two bracket so that I can see the differences? Thanks in advance

Longer one is the new/updated version. Ordered and received from JJP.

10C57CA5-8E14-4C8A-ACBC-8E3B23A0B078 (resized).jpeg10C57CA5-8E14-4C8A-ACBC-8E3B23A0B078 (resized).jpeg3DD42FCA-B696-479E-876E-15ECA2FC270B (resized).jpeg3DD42FCA-B696-479E-876E-15ECA2FC270B (resized).jpeg
#15287 3 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

Is this a nice to have or a replacement freebie?

I’d say you need it. Tartuga drains were driving me batshit. Other solutions are out there (Setting VUK coil strength to 6 so it trickles out) but for consistency I believe this is the best.

1 month later
#15505 3 years ago

This may be more of a general pinball question but it relates to my Pirates game so I guess I’ll ask it here. What should the gap be on the slingshot switches? Somehow it’s super sensitive on the left side (like 1mm or less, to the point that the air can fire it occasionally, I know that’s not right) and way less sensitive on the right side (probably 2-3mm on both, ball has to hit it pretty good at a fairly right angle). I’ve got the tool to bend the leafs, but want to know how it’s supposed to be?

Thanks!

#15509 3 years ago
Quoted from Maurice:

Good question about pinball fine-tuning basics. Adjust the slingshot switches to your own preferences. Remember the “thightness” of the ss rubber greatly affects the way in which you can adjust your switches. Stiff rubber like some silicone requires a small gap. Super soft/flexibel rubbers should have a slightly bigger gap between the leaf blades. If the gap is too small switches register too soon and the coil can activate multiple Times after a hit.

Went to pull the switches out to adjust, and realize it’s not the switches at all. My left slingshot rubber is pretty ripped up. It hardly has any integrity to it which makes the switch is much easier to trip on that side. Any suggestions on best rubber to buy for this game specifically the sling shot so that I can order? I did not see it on the jersey jack website so assuming it is a generic rubber part? Would love any thoughts so I can place an order, thanks!

#15515 3 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

So close...just Cotton left to get all my characters scores over 5 million and once I get it, I am done. I am not going for 6 million per character. It was fun to try this first with all 4 mil then all 5 mil, but I want to get back to playing some of the other characters and really trying to blow up their scores with their better advantages. Maybe the code update will drop and then it will really open up the game again?
[quoted image]

I’ve got all but Cotton over 1 million. My high score is 2.7 million. These scores are nuts LOL.

1 month later
#15697 3 years ago

Seems to have self corrected, but what sort of switch causes the most start post to come up, assuming an opto up there? For some reason tonight, and the beginning of my game it would start a mode (post would come up) as soon as I qualified one. Anybody had this happen?

2 weeks later
#15850 3 years ago

This may be more of a generic pinball question, but going to start here as this is the machine that is applicable. I've got my flipper strength dialed up pretty high on my Pirates, as I need to, to be able to get up the ramp, chest, etc. It just plays much better. On all of my older machines, there are no flipper strength settings, so when they get weak, I just rebuild the flipper (sometimes all the way up to the bushing, the sleeves and coil stops are always junked, etc), and presto, new again. My Pirates was routed, so it has a lot of plays, and I'm assuming the flippers are just getting weaker, and I'm offsetting the fade with additional flipper strength in the settings. So I guess my question is, should I rebuild my Pirates flippers (as I would an old WPC) and dial back down the flipper settings to default levels? And if so, I've never rebuilt a JJ flipper, but it looks like all the others, is this a generic order or does it have to come from JJ?

I'm interest to understand what dialing the coil strength does in the settings, just adjust the amount of power going to the coil (which would then either be stronger or weaker?)

Thanks!

#15865 3 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

More power equals more heat. Sounds like a good way to burn up your coils over the long run. Turning them up is a temporary solution to me until I got an an or 2 to change some sleeves. I feel like if you have rebuilt a flipper assembly, changing out a coil stop and sleeve should only be a 10-15 minute job. And to be honest the mech might just need a good cleaning due to coil dust finding it’s way into the sleeve. I have a couple thousand plays on my machine and all I have had to clean the sleeves a couple times. Q-tip and alcohol

I changed out coil stops and sleeves, and did some cleaning and holy crap. I barely missed the right ramp and had reject airball bang the glass and back over the top of the left flipper. So I dialed them back to default and it’s perfect. Way more balls up the right ramp onto the Black Pearl. They just needed changing all back to normal (and I can start counting flips!).

1 week later
#15966 3 years ago
Quoted from Dan1733:

Question about my POTC LE. The "chest" and "load" lights are never lit in front of the chest. Any shot into the chest holds the ball for Dead man's Chest multi-ball. Its too easy as nothing is needed to qualify it.
Any idea how I can fix this? Any suggestions appreciated. Thank you.

If you go into the menu does it show any switch test errors? Wondering if your lock switches are stuck closed somehow? You’re supposed to have to hit each lock switch (on either side of the chest) to lock a ball.

#15980 3 years ago
Quoted from attyrhodes:

Anyone have a good method for avoiding SDTM after the ball releases from the star map? Such a frustrating way to drain.

The one that kills me the most is drops down, hits the gold targets, then goes straight down the left outline (the one that drains). Don’t have much SDTM.

3 months later
#16519 3 years ago
Quoted from jurulz:

Hey Guys new owner here Just a quick question for you:
Is it normal that i struggle making the right ramps even with flipper power at Max?

Rebuild flippers! I had mine for 500 games before I realized I should be able to backhand the right ramp. Rebuilt my flippers and changed the game.

#16520 3 years ago
Quoted from Wulftown:

I just did this. Looks like it's a PITA if the battery goes dead

Is it just a 2032 battery on the main board? I hadn’t thought about it as I’m the second owner, but I guess I should be?

#16557 3 years ago

You planted an ugly seed!

You are getting blasted for this LOL
I guess you probably know this.

I posted my LE for sale for $20k a few weeks before everybody else did the same thing and got blasted by a couple of seemingly unhappy people who apparently missed economics class. You’re not losing if you can double or triple your money on anything, I wouldn’t feel bad about listing it for $30k. Needless to say, I took it down and decided to keep mine (even after $20k seems to be the target price for an LE).

#16572 3 years ago
Quoted from Mrsiyufy:

I’ve never even looked at the star map once.

Ditto.

#16601 3 years ago
Quoted from Mrsiyufy:

I’m going to get bashed for this one, but I prefer the LE/SE art to the CE art, but the CE topper is pretty cool wish someone made a topper to replace my LE.

I didn't want Davy Jones on my play field. The topper makes it worth it and now that I know better, I'd rather have a CE, but I like the LE aesthetics better (other than the topper).

1 week later
#16645 3 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Is anyone else getting discouraged by all the hate being directed at this title lately? Ever since the pricing went crazy, that seems to be all that people focus on when discussing this game. It's like everyone is trying to look cool by chiming in everywhere about how much they dislike Pirates and how some other random game blows it away. It's got to the point where I don't even want to tell people I have one, whereas before I was thrilled about it.

Who cares what they think/say. Likely you have one and they don’t.

#16652 3 years ago
Quoted from Stef95:

I would like to have a 60 million jackpot on potc lol

This

3 months later
#16935 2 years ago
Quoted from DarthSinex:

I'm trying to access the rubber that is around the post behind the chapter select standups and just to the right of the chest. I cannot for the life of me work out how to easily get at this without completely removing the Chest and the ship in their entirety (which doesn't seem right to change a perishable component like a rubber). Can someone let me know what's the easiest way to get at this rubber and change it. Perhaps I'm missing something.

I had to take the ship off, but not the chest.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

$ 38.00
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

24,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanted
$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robbyirl5.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club?tu=robbyirl5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.