(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,810 posts
  • 633 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 days ago by insight75
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

431321214_1110342276953195_8816628931148154685_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240204_044856660.MP (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240203-170723 (resized).png
PXL_20240128_214506994 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240128_224833483.MP (resized).jpg
IMG_0980 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0982 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0981 (resized).jpeg
download (resized).jpg
IMG_6275 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6274 (resized).jpeg
8b9srv (resized).jpg
20231211_131402 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #222 Liar's Dice rules explained! Posted by goren1818 (5 years ago)

Post #644 Rules flow chart Posted by Rbviessman (5 years ago)

Post #1021 How to fix black pearl lamps Posted by Yelobird (5 years ago)

Post #1360 Black Pearl flippers are uneven when in upper position - Fix Posted by evh347 (5 years ago)

Post #2468 Hardware fix for balls getting hung up during multiball. Posted by Pinballpal (5 years ago)

Post #2892 Adjustment for auto plunger not hitting balls cleanly or correctly Posted by Pinballpal (5 years ago)

Post #3974 Deadflip stream from Valentine’s Day 2019. Posted by Tuna_Delight (5 years ago)

Post #4014 POTC trouble shooting guide Posted by zaphX (5 years ago)

Post #4856 Possibly let distributor go through machine and get it tuned in. Posted by dgposter (5 years ago)

Post #6315 Fix for dauntless positioning, canon shots not landing Posted by Yelobird (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

376 posts in this topic match your search for posts by rdoyle1978. You are on page 1 of 2.
#3009 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

is the 666666 mode some sort of hidden thing from there Pirates series?
Don’t recall ever seeing it but there is always something you miss.

When I first saw it, I thought it was a reference to Monster Bash, since MBr was coming out (originally) around the same time. There's a "666666" award in that game, which is incredibly hard to get

#3054 5 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

666666 has no biblical reference whatsoever. 666 does though - that’s the mark of the beast, not 666666. There a literally 666,000 numbers away from each other.

Not to mention that even the "666" number is disputed because of the complicated translation issues the bible has

1 week later
#3266 5 years ago
Quoted from PsychoPsonic:

Agreed. Would like to play a proto game someday to compare, but if I had to guess the single disc ball action probably results in more interesting gameplay.

The screen animation is fine--most people say they really like it--and you avoid the added noise and additional possible points of failure of the 3 concentric physical rings. The ring change is not an issue to me and if anything I would say the production version and the adjustments made to get there represent a great solution. Best possible? Dunno, but I'm pleased with the way it turned out.

The 3-disc version was SUPER cool looking. But because the discs were all spinning at different velocities so close to one another.. the ball would kinda jiggle around until it wobbled to the outside of the larger disc. I totally understand the decision to change the mech since it was a PITA to maintain apparently. And if it didn’t affect the ball hardly.. why make trouble down the road for yourself?

#3276 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

But you can't deny the spinning LED inserts in those disks was pretty dam cool and innovative. Yes they did the right thing and the end result was More than acceptable but there is no argument that original design was over the top creative genius!!! Wish it worked.

No argument - I'm just saying I understand the design decision, and that the decision didn't actually affect the playability of the game, and (IMO) actually enhanced what it might have been - from a gameplay standpoint. e.g. It would suck if the ball just got stuck there all the time

3 weeks later
#4589 5 years ago

Folks, I am going in on a POTC later this year. I have now had 3 separate people tell me that JJP is going to stop producing these games.

What is the basis for that? Nobody’s been able to point to anything concrete. This game knocks my socks off so I’m definitely in!

#4604 5 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

The basis is that the distributors (myself and others) were told from JJP DIRECTLY that production would stop. It is not hearsay, rumor, or speculation. This is what we were told. Another run of woz, then on to game 5, then game 6. At this time we (the distributors) have not be told if another run will ever come, so we are assuming that it will not.
Regardless, get the game because YOU want it, not because of any other reason.

Wow - too bad it will not run longer.. yet? But there seem to be a lot out there. I’ll get it eventually - I’m not going to jump on it because of this, but I appreciate the candor! I can’t imagine Wonka or even Toy Story making me jump out of my wallet but who knows when they release ...

#4634 5 years ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

Why would they DO THAT?! Even most video game developers are leaving their code open to modding anymore. If their licenses are so prohibitive, then let us change it ourselves. It's almost rude.

This may be different now on DI and POTC but I can go into my WOZ and change stuff just by going to a terminal. Also updates are not encrypted, so you can change images and sounds directly in the update .zip and then install it

#4681 5 years ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

Looking at the update files, they aren't encrypted, they are compressed, then re-compressed. IMG is the first barrier, but the rest are .gz broken up into aa, ab, ac and so on. Looks like the old winrar continuous compressed files. Can't find a decompression program for it yet....

I use 7-Zip

3 weeks later
#6094 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

For those that missed it:
Jack's exact words about JJP POTC are:
"We ordered parts for X amount of games, and we can only build as many games as we have parts for.... and we are out of parts.... We don't have any plan to build the game again right now. That doesn't mean we won't build the game again in the future, we have the license for a few more years... It's not because the game isn't a great game, it's just that we want to go build another game and another game and another game.... We don't have anything in stock. I got in trouble with some of my distributors who got mad at me because they thought we would have more games... but distributors sold out of their games and we don't have any more. I'm happy the demand is there but I'm not happy that everyone who wanted a game didn't get one."

This is fascinating - this really implies that they underestimated the demand for the game. I was not interested at -all- based on theme, but started to see the playfield and rules and suddenly got -very- interested. They must just be gearing up for the next game.

#6111 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

My 7 year old daughter plays a lot, and then after she plays, she can be heard around the house randomly saying "Extra BAAAA HAA HAAAAALLLLLLL"
Blows my mind this game did not win TWIPY for best callouts. It has the best callouts of any 2018 game by a long shot. Gibbs was perfect to do the callouts for the game. How did deadpool win that? That game needed Ryan Reynolds to be doing the callouts. Without it, it's very off-putting and not enjoyable at all. The callouts were zzzzz.

They did get Nolan North to do the callouts - he plays Deadpool in every medium other than the movies. Pirates DOES have awesome callouts, but this was a really close one.

3 months later
#11130 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Honestly not trying to be a smart alec, just wondering what the interest is in having a printed manual as long as one is available online. I'd think it would be kind of like phone books now - good in print at one time but better online now with searchable text.

The one for DI was extremely nice. I was absolutely bowled over with all the behind the scenes photos and other unexpected content in there. They did a really good job on it

#11131 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Does anyone have use for a 12" tall Davy Jones? Maybe it can sit on the top of the game? I was wanting to see if anything could be done with the 12" figures but I don't see a good use and I don't have a CE. Got it cheap, let it go cheap.
https://www.mercari.com/us/item/m78327709883/?url_scheme=item%2FopenDetail&id=m78327709883

Cut him in half and install on the playfield! Haha

#11165 4 years ago

Black pop bodies & clear skirts, what a freaking chore.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Why did you change them? So they could be lit, or just aesthetics?

#11175 4 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

Same here. Do other games have this behavior as well? TZ? Shadow? Funhouse? etc.?

Quoted from Reznnate:

Same here. Do other games have this behavior as well? TZ? Shadow? Funhouse? etc.?

Any game with upper flippers does this. If you are really goood you can cradle with the lower and still use the upper flipper as needed

#11243 4 years ago
Quoted from VillaThrills:

Played a game tonight. Never noticed the white pop bumpers until now. And now of course I can't unsee it! Who would put white bumpers on this game? lol.

Damn it now I can’t unsee it either. THANKS A LOT

#11317 4 years ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

Wow I really can’t belive all the movement in the playfield and the cracking it’s quite disappointing and worrying. If this were a stern game pitch forks would be out and Gary would be on a stake. Not cool and it kind of scares me off buying one a little

Hard to
Imagine this wasn’t one of the reasons they decided to hold off on production. There were rumors the game wasn’t selling, but obviously that’s not the case, since all distributors are sold out. I’m sure their profit was just razor thin on this one.

1 week later
#11472 4 years ago

Anybody know anything about a code update? The game is pretty damn well complete, but I do have to admit I kinda wish they’d included just a *little* bit more from the films. No questions POTC is a superior game, but I wouldn’t mind a little more thorough theme integration

#11475 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

1.0 is still coming, I wouldn't hold out hope for more theme integration though. I believe it to be a license limitation.

I’d be totally fine with no Depp at all - I just like the shots of the ship on the ocean and there’s so much landscape and great scenes to choose from. One thing Hobbit does REALLY well is slow down the gameplay and play a (short) clip before a really crazy part so you feel even more immersed. POTC Has some great shots and scenes already integrated (I love the shot of the pirates hanging across the entryway to Tortuga in the first movie) - I just feel like they are way too fast and it keeps you from getting quite as immersed in the game. It’s a subtle thing really, but it’s done perfectly in TH.

Of course, that took 2 years, so I’ll be patient !

#11482 4 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

I am just hoping for a little, yo ho yo ho and a bottle of rum attract music!

Yeah! Is there any attract music at all?

#11486 4 years ago
Quoted from Marcdaddy:

Robert Stone ( here on Pinside ) has the color match, he has done a bunch of coating for me in the past and does killer work.

+1 he is a GREAT dude and has done some primo work for me on other titles as well. Fair pricing, too

#11495 4 years ago
Quoted from Marcdaddy:

Guys anyone have a issue getting the damn ball on the chest for locks, I increased the flipper strength by a little bit. Maybe 2 out of 10 go up there without rattling out.

You do have to hit it dead on, and pretty hard. I don’t feel like it rejects any more than a lot of other games, although it sure is frustrating!!

#11502 4 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

There is when the JJP logo comes on. It is just the JJP song though, it does not really go with the concept. It plays I think once every 4 rotations like the Wanted posters! I do think they need to bring this back to life, as attract songs are pretty flipp'n awesome! If you have heard some of the older ones, like 80's era and 90's. I think this is a key part of pinball in my opinion.
First 30 seconds of this

Exactly... and TH has TONS of attract more music, as does DI. I’m going to look at the update and see if we can inject some files in there. I did this on DI and it worked but it gets erased as soon as you update

#11508 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

If we got some legit Pirate attract music I would never update...lol

Haha are there Pirate bands out there we could call LOL

#11550 4 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

Ok so put in some work on OST super jackpots today. Couple of issues I see. Managed to "qualify" for the super jackpot a few times. Every attempt did not go well, went something like this. First go serveral multiballs running hit chest get post to come up hit post no jackpot, post releases and 3 balls come out. Second go I tried to only have OST going got post up a couple of times and it timed out before I could hit post. Third go hit post but somehow there was not a ball up there (light were blinking for super). Personally feel like there needs to be a bit more time to hit the second shot or even rework the whole super for OST. I also have a suspicion this is the reason why my dead mans chest ball lock isnt working sometimes. For example if I have OST going get the free 2 jackpot triple jackpot only needing chest shot. If I now qualify for my 3rd lock I dont think the forks are coming up because game is looking for OST double and super to happen. Im probably going to pull the glass tomorrow and run a test to see if thats whats going on and or install final cliffy. It has been happening since the update (well noticed) and this kinda makes sense (always seems to happen when multiballs are going). Maybe this will be an actual bug I can report over to Keefer. Tests tomorrow though to make sure Im not talking out my ass

Help me out here.. for the life of me I can’t figure out what OST is

#11551 4 years ago

If *anyone* else decides to replace their pop bumpers with black/clear or whatever, do yourself a favor and pick up some of these quick connectors on Amazon. There is no way to replace the pops without cutting the wires, apparently the ends were soldered or crimped (not sure which was done last) after they were put through the pop bumpers so unless you want to solder RGB boards you have to cut the wires. The crimped ends won't fit through the holes in the pop bumper. I would normally solder and heat shrink my splices but in this case I wanted the option to easily remove without having to again cut and splice. I initially tried to remove the JST connector from the ends and slide them through the pops but like I said they just don't fit. If you have a CE/LE I believe the spinning pops can be removed just by undoing the molex connector ends with a pin removal tool. At least, I have some that I did that on a while ago and it seemed to have worked, lol.. I am just putting them back together today so I've forgotten, but seems likely.[quoted image]

Very nice solution.. for what it’s worth, this is how ALL pop bumpers are connected, aren’t they?

#11561 4 years ago

The RGB lighting has 4 wires, two go through each hole in the pops which is a REALLY tight fit. So unless you desolder them from the PCB boards you can't thread them back through the hole because the connector end has crimped pins which are too wide to fit side by side with the wire. The motor wires use large .093 molex connectors which are too large to fit through the holes, but you can desolder those from the motors much easier. I just didn't want to mess with the PCBs. In fact, I had a lot of .093 stuff here so I just cut the motor connectors to make it easier instead of lugging the soldering iron over to the game.
But yeah, in older games obviously the wires going to the lamp socket do the same route but it's much easier to deal with the two wires, generally which can be desoldered pretty easily. I'm always looking to put the game back together a bit better, easier, etc so in the future it's easier to work on.

Gotcha! We had this issue with the plasma pop bumpers - the holes through the pops are incredibly small

#11562 4 years ago

Super happy to be in this club!

Just finished my own custom coin cluster for the lockbar:

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#11563 4 years ago

Hell. Yes.

It’s a tiny bit too large but I’m going to keep it, I have reinforced the coins pretty well so I don’t think anything can break them off, and I think it looks more real this way. Kind of regretting adding the clear coat, but c’est la vie.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#11565 4 years ago
Quoted from cheshirefilms:

Love the Pearl window too, but decided to clip the wires/led light, pushed it from stock feel in my view to modd-y so I preferred it as-is, the gold window looks so good, plus easier install without having to wire through the game
[quoted image]

That little window is VERY important to completing the look, as is the cover on top

#11569 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

That turned out Awesome! I rather like the clear coat plus it will help keep down on the oils etc on an often used game function. Great work!

Thx man! I don't have time to do anything too complicated but I really liked the idea of hiding that button in the middle of the lockbar. Couple test prints got me to (almost) the right arrangement, and I wanted to have accurately sized coins (38mm apparently). I've never dry-brushed before so I was bowled over that it actually looked halfway decent! Not trying to compete with anyone's mod though, just wanted to go through it to say I did it myself!

#11570 4 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

The problem I had with the lighted window was I immediately thought it looked like an old time radio from the 30's. Doesn't fit in a pirate's ship.
I can't unsee it now.[quoted image]

So THAT's why I like that door so much! lol

#11572 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

If thats your first attempt at air brushing Bravo looks spot on perfect. Not as easy as it looks in videos but once you get the hang of it the results look as good as your turned out. Pride of creation is a great feeling and yours turned out great.

Not air brushed - I just hit them all with flat black first, then dry brushed the gold on. It made them look kinda “dirty” (er, maybe “tarnished” is the right word) which is what I was going for . I’m just glad it didn’t turn out a mess like so many of my other projects lately lol

#11578 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Ships wheel and anchor added. Both available from Artesania for less than $10.
For the ships wheel you need to drill a 10mm hole into plastic railing WITHOUT metal bracket on underneath. Then reattach bracket with sticky underneath hole. Then pop ships wheel in. Will fit under glass even with Harry’s window installed. For those with the mezel mods deck you have to dremmel out a section to slip the wheel through.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I really like the wheel there, that is cool

#11587 4 years ago
Quoted from Trooper11040:

Sometimes I feel as if JJP washed his hands with pirates and just let it go

Took them TWO years to get back to Hobbit, and that was not one of their favorite games at the time... they made it absolutely EPIC

#11594 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yeah they did. I just hope we don't have to wait 2 years, let alone 1 year or 6 months.
It just doesn't seem right that Wonka is on 1.09 while Pirates which has been out for about a year longer is on pre 1.0 code.

How many updates has Wonka received?

#11600 4 years ago
Quoted from TomN:

It also doesn’t seem right that they stopped production on the game so quickly. Does anyone in the know understand their reasoning behind this? I agree it seems like the life cycle of this game is quite short and it was abandoned way earlier then it should have been. I guess you could generically say that it was a business decision and move on. However people (including myself) were just starting to get to know the game and actually get some quality time on one. Strange that they have a hit and demand for a game and then promptly cease production. Makes perfect sense

From Jack’s comments, it just seems like the game itself plus parts plus support was not representing a high enough (or any?) profit for the company. Makes sense - they have to make money to stay in business. We have benefitted obviously

Jack said on TWIP that they would really need to talk at the company to discuss another run - that implies to me that the BOM is high and the investors want to see green, not red. But I’m speculating obviously. I think the stupid bullshit about the chest and the map spinner really hurt the company, too - it’s possible they had to take on loans after all the preorders were cancelled, and that would add expense to the game. Looks incredible stupid in hindsight, given that there’s a $100 mod to make the chest work, and the map spinner was not going to be practical to read on the game anyway. The video map spinner is way better

#11603 4 years ago
Quoted from TomN:

I’m sure a lot of discussion happened in the background that we will never completely be in the know about. I’m positive the bottom line was money without doubt. I agree also that the chest and spinning ring fiasco had some part in this. It’s a shame as I and a lot of other people would like an opportunity to own one. I wonder if there is a way to quantify how much money they (JJP) are leaving on the table due to this very short production run? There will be other pins that this Potc money will go towards. Maybe it will be Jersey maybe not.

Well keep in mind - if they did another run at the current pricing structure - they wouldn’t be leaving money on the table; they’d be losing it. This game might have to be sold at $13K. Imagine the complaining

#11605 4 years ago
Quoted from Heater:

What I'm curious about is why JJP is so quiet on this? There is the thread guessing if they would make more and why or why not POTC did great or tanked. With all this talk, why wouldn't JJP (Jack) just come out and give everyone a "state of the state of POTC". By giving us the reason why production was cut short, summary of why there were problems (more so than their other pins) a possible future for more productions or not a future for more productions, availability of replacement parts and finally a vision for future updates. I'm not a business person but this could only build a lot of goodwill and loyalty to JJP. I do agree this pinball machine is amazing and love it just the way it is. I just wish I could understand the thinking behind it straight from them, other than guessing and rumors.

Well, doing so would be an “official” statement from the company - they may not be ready to do something like that. All stakeholders need to agree to make an official statement - they may not at this point.

#11607 4 years ago
Quoted from locksmith:

First problem just popped up.Game not taking game over pics. Did a factory reset which did not help.Went into the camera test and came back camera not found.Anyone see this yet. Thanks

Likely the USB cable got loose. Open the backbox, move the monitor out of the way, and check the USB plugs into the computer (the big silver box). The USB plugs must go into the exact ports they are currently plugged into. Check that one hasn’t shaken loose

#11608 4 years ago

Can someone explain to me what Souls represent in Liar’s Dice?

#11613 4 years ago
Quoted from DarthSinex:

Characters collected in modes. There is a high score for this at the end of the game, so doubling your real number of characters in liars dice is likely to get you on to the high score table for this.

Gotcha - that's sort of what I thought, but I was thinking in terms of completing modes, and couldn't figure out how they would apply. Obviously this makes a huge difference with the score.

speaking of which: what are people setting their scoring extra balls to? I like turning this on as a way of making a certain bit of progress (i.e. I don't feel like I've had a good game unless I get a score worthy of an extra ball), but I'm not sure what the 'right' score is.

#11617 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Looks awesome. Wait till you dress up the pearl with his window mod. Highly recommend.
We just got DP premium last night and my teenage daughter who never says anything nice about the pinballs (or anything nice) commented on how much better pirates looks. She appreciated how intricate it all was. She then went back to her room and closed the door for the rest of the night. Until she opened it for a short while to ask “where’s my cup of tea?”

LOL

#11621 4 years ago
Quoted from LordHelmet:

I started the award at 100k when I first got the game to keep me working at it. I’ve since changed that to 400K and will soon set it at 600 or 800. Just like you said, gives you a reward for playing better while keeping you playing to get better.

Exactly! Those seem like good settings for me too

#11623 4 years ago

Starting to consistently get a “target ship switch stuck closed” error when turning on the game. I know this is the switch inside the Dauntless for when you hit it with the cannon ball - but does anybody know if it’s a physical switch or an opto? I am not in a huge hurry to disassemble the game if I don’t have to

#11626 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The switch test screen tells you if it's a physical switch or an opto.

Gotcha, how did I not notice that. Thx!

#11630 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

All that means is you haven't hit the switch in a while. Toss a ball in the Dauntless during switch test and I bet it goes away.
Then...try and hit it more

I hit the shot pretty much every game - but I'll try that and see what happens! Maybe it's not hitting correctly

#11638 4 years ago
Quoted from thc666:

Had this happen to me all the time. My issue is the wire loom in the back off machine, the wire loom impedes with the switch. just move wire loom towards middle of machine when lowering the play field. try that . Have not had the issue since.

That makes a lot of sense - I had trouble with the Pearl moving for the same reason. I am going to add another wire clip to hold it in place

#11677 4 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

Is there a preference or recommendation on buying a NIB early run or later run on these games given the opportunity?
Thanks!

If you can find a game, you should buy it. You're not going to be finding a lot of them

#11679 4 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

Thanks for sharing. Where did you get the window/door for the black pearl?

Looks like Harry Houdini’s

#11708 4 years ago
Quoted from Trooper11040:

It didn’t. It was just in the bundle of wires to the left. My BP has 7 connections and they are all plugged in

I'll check in an hour or so

#11715 4 years ago
Quoted from Rasavage:

It’s funny you mention that, yesterday I was looking under my playfield in the maelstrom area and found two male moles connections that don’t seem to go to anything.

These? They appear to me to be switch-related

I am not finding an unterminated molex connector at the bottom right of the playfield underside.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#11719 4 years ago
Quoted from splitcms:

Hi. I’m new to the club. Just got a standard edition on Friday from a distributor (open box floor model). Does anyone have a fix for the ball getting stuck under the upper left flipper on the upper playfield? Happens quite a bit and it’s a bit annoying.[quoted image]

Check to make sure the wiring bundle at the rear of the game is not binding against the Pearl. This looks to me like your ship isn’t rocking as much as it should.

#11721 4 years ago
Quoted from splitcms:

Could you please tell me which setting you have your ship rocking on? Maybe I need to turn it up more

Not sure, whatever is the default.

Does the ship rock when it goes into ball search mode?

#11736 4 years ago

So has anyone made it to the final wizard mode? Is it even programmed? I’m sure I have years before I’ll get there but I’m mostly curious If there are any major features missing and due for a code update...

#11739 4 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Final wizard mode is not in the code yet. We're all still waiting for the 1.0 release. Other confirmed updates will include some balancing of the character features.

Got it. Thx for clarifying !

#11765 4 years ago
Quoted from Zora:

It is a shame that JJP does not publish a complete rulesheet for such a complex game so that the community is forced to puzzle the details together. No need for a shiny booklet, a simple word file would be sufficient. More content, less marketing brochures.
Stern and the other manufacturers don‘t prepare this either, should be a normal procedure.

Iron Maiden *did* have an attract mode video showing some basic shots and how to start up modes (I recall hearing that Keith fought to include this issue). POTC is mightily complex - I had to look up several of the rules myself.

on the other hand: it's pinball

#11805 4 years ago
Quoted from Heater:

What a bummer. Sure feels like JJP has washed their hands on this game. Too bad since it's so much fun to play. Just want it to move up to it's full potential.

Naah. They stood up on Hobbit 2 years after it was cooling down, and made it AMAZING. Huge turnaround. It may take a while because they have new games to support, but it’ll happen..

#11855 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Brand new? Also potc is not as bad as pinside makes it seem. Mines been pretty good and is no different than owning b/w pins imo

WAY less to deal with than STTNG!

#11868 4 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

LOL, my STTNG has always been rock solid. But as a side note, STTNG has code to automatically alter the play when mechs fail so the pin could remain functional until the operator got around to fixing it.

You know what I mean though - if there's any game which has a reputation of being a hassle to work on, it's STTNG

#11895 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

“At some point” definitely doesn’t sound encouraging. I’m thinking mid- to late October would be a reasonable time frame (about a year after shipping) but I’m not holding my breath. JJP seems to be pretty far from firing on all cylinders right now.

Not sure where you’re getting that from - they are actively working on 2 more games, plus WOZ, DI and Wonka have all gotten updates recently. TH is pretty much “done” (although there are some bugs I don’t think they want to spend much more time on that game)

#11903 4 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

Actually, the current POTC game software is version 1.39. The older revision number was simply a typo.

Not sure where you're getting that info. The current game code is very clearly 0.99

#11943 4 years ago
Quoted from koops:

There is a key post about this.
Does anyone know the differences in hardware between a potc and dialed in and why potc is so much quieter? I was wondering if something could be done to retrofit dialed in to make it as quiet. Cpu/power supply fans?

DI has a very fast spinning fan - you can replace it, just a typical (if I recall correctly ) 80mm fan

1 week later
#11985 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

How heavy is Pirates? Will a 300lb (max load) bar stool be able to support Pirates while I install the rear legs? I plan on installing the front legs first then lift the rear end and rest it on this bar stool. The machine is still in the box. Thanks!

God it’s heavy. But I am pretty sure DI is heavier. Between 325 and 350

2 weeks later
#12249 4 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

Short answer is nobody knows. If they are remade at some point, most assume, like you, that JJP will focus on LE's, possibly at a premium $.

Interesting too that they are doing a new run of the Ruby red WOZ, with the monkey installed. I don’t know pricing but if they can do that, they can probably do another run of POTC at 15K(!)

#12288 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

BTW Frank Welker quit Jersey Jack during Labor Day. So now it’s just Steve by himself until they replace him. So I’m sure they’re overwhelmed right now.

Frank WELKER? The voice actor?

#12307 4 years ago
Quoted from koops:

It solves multiple problems for me.
Wrong angle of the ramp compared to the black pearl.
Wrong height of the ramp compared to the black pearl.
Wrong angle for the one way gate to function correctly.
Reduces the twisting stress on the lower ramp screw holes.
A wire bend doesn't fix the issue where I can't get onto the black pearl.
I also only make these for me (thats why they are free on thingiverse), no ones forcing anyone to use it. The wire bend works for you then great!
Meanwhile, also from the "over engineering dept", I made this opto clip (yes it could also be fixed with a dot of hot glue or something but I wanted to see how quick I could make one from scratch). Prints in 10 mins.
Download : https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3874421
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Don't mind him, all the assemblies have minor alignment differences. That's great you designed that opto clip.! LOTS of People have broken those
Off while installing the chest mod

#12309 4 years ago
Quoted from koops:

I haven’t yet had a look at the optos back there, they may or may not fit depending on their style. This was for the one that I could see on the ramp. It does nothing more than hold it in if it’s loose (which mine were). As it is open ended it can also be installed from the top if its similar.
I haven’t quite made my mind up about getting the chest mod (which is great by the way!) as I was going to have a crack at a passive version.

Oh gotcha - well still, glad you did that! It is a different clip in back of the chest if I recall correctly.

What's the passive version of the chest mod you mention?

I build my own chest mod based on the JFleitz information, and it is REALLY cool. It is so well integrated, it feels like something is missing when it is not installed. I will say that harryhoudini who is selling the mod has really priced it VERY fairly, based on the amount of work I put into it. Now that things have settled down a bit I think it's more clear what to do, but it took several revisions to get working. Anyway, all of the stuff is on jFleitz's github, including .STLs for the bracket and the actual Arduino code.

#12316 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

The gate isn’t high enough on the left-hand side to force the ball to roll off to the right and allows the ball to sit on the gate they could fix that by moving the screws where the gate attaches up a half inch on the left side causing the ball to roll off even if the ramp is not level

FWIW I believe this is only an issue on certain games. Mine, made 1-19-19 does not seem to exhibit the ball being trapped (as long as the Pearl is able to move, I suppose). If the ship is not moving (I had an early issue where my ship didn’t move), I guess it can get hung up, but not normally

#12318 4 years ago

I'll look into printing and selling it, koops has PM. You can also print right from thingverse if people didn't see that.
I was going to be working on an overall ramp support for the middle to fix that screw pushing up in to the bottom of the ramp and see if I could allow it to rotate the ramp a little (if needed) to align it with the BP better.

I printed it yesterday - literally MINUTES before he posted the adjustable one! LOL. I will give it a try this evening. Man, today has been a total pinball miss! Wrong part from a mod shop so I can't install, now the game is disassembled, POTC still not lighting the Pearl, and my STTNG has some weird play in the cannons! arrrrgh!

#12320 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Are you printing the second version? If so, I would love to hear your thoughts on both. Thanks!

Not tonight, maybe tomorrow - work calls first

#12351 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I don't intend to be cynical. Or even critical of JJP here.
But I'd imagine if no games exist to be sold, further development of code, at least in a really revolutionary way, won't happen. I'm guessing we'll be fortunate to get the final wizard mode/s at some point.
Dialed In and Hobbit had big updates, and games still to sell NIB. Pirates most likely never will, I'm assuming.
Ghostbusters by Stern, was promised for years for that update, and I'm guessing it's not entirely out of production either.
Just doesn't make sense to have a push for Pirates code, past maybe cleanup.
I hope I'm incorrect, obviously, but those Hobbit revisions existed for a reason.

They sure as hell made a difference too. That game is now next level.

POTC is such a great game as is, I fear you are right. But we’ve been patient...

#12371 4 years ago

I'm sort of amazed that it's one dude doing all the coding, if that is the case. I can definitely commiserate with the block of time necessity, focus is paramount.

There are several other names on the credits though - didn’t Ted Estes help with the game as well?

#12398 4 years ago
Quoted from smsteve:

It seemed like the update only came after months of complaint because it
didcome after months of complaint. But that doesn’t mean the complaining had anything to do with it.
I’m positive the coders knew the Hobbit code was incomplete and I’m confident they were eager to finish it when they had the chance. While it’s possible that the griping on this forum sped the delivery, it’s certain that it ruined communications with JJP on Pinside.
Yep, a few bad apples...

I’ll reiterate that it was worth the wait. I am still having a hard time thinking about selling that game, it is still that fun and that ‘complete’. POTC is a lot further along than TH was upon release, but it does still lack that polish.

If JJP is not putting any future resources to the game code, I hope the ability to activate all the unused media is realized eventually. It would seem a shame for all that effort to go to waste

#12428 4 years ago

Wow, where did you find one still in a box!?

I do hope JJP gets parts restocked. :/

#12442 4 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

That’s just disappointing. When the author uses a word like apparently does not get the hopes up for anything soon

It's nothing more than hearsay. The source is probably one of our posts here!

#12444 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Could be that, something the author heard from JJP, or the comments Keith made a couple months back on a Wonka stream promising that a Pirates update is still coming.
Later this month at Expo JJP may be reveal their next pin. I'm hoping that new Pirates code will be at Expo but who knows. If JJP is prepping a new game all resources are likely on it...All I know is that I won't considering buying another JJP pin until Pirates code is completed.

Good thing for Stern nobody says that about their games!

I’m still enjoying POTC but for the time being I feel like I’ve explored everything I can do. I can make it to a couple of the mini wizard modes if I choose one of the characters which spots a chapter or character, but I am nowhere near beating any of them

#12450 4 years ago

I'm beginning to wonder if there should be a more narrow path to break the curse once it's coded.
Maybe complete- not just start- a wizard mode to light break the curse. Getting to all 5 wizard modes is just too superhuman. I mean, it's hard in Hobbit to get to the endgame, it'd be a heavenly miracle for Pirates.

Which endgame are you referring to? There’s not a final wizard mode after battle of the 5 armies AFAIK

#12455 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Yep, all very good points. At this point if JJP wants to demonstrate they're consistent in supporting all their games then the next POTC code update needs to get done soon. Otherwise buyers would have to start considering it a crapshoot as to how much code support any new title from JJP gets. Will their next new machine be supported and get code updates quickly or will it be pushed to the side for the next release (or for a game a few years older)? It's happening to Pirates so why wouldn't it happen to another new title from them? Wonka has had a lot of updates in a matter of a few months. Pirates has had 3 updates in a year.
Sure, the final wizard mode is crazy difficult to get to, but that's not an acceptable reason for it to not be in the game yet. In addition to the character trait updates posted 4 months ago, there are a lot of polishing items that should also be included in an update. We're now at or very close to 1 year since the first games shipped so at a minimum getting the game feature complete is definitely past due. I realize there have been health issues and that's unfortunate, but if JJP is too reliant on any one person to get something done on a game then that's a weakness within their organizational structure.
In my experience with JJP over the past year, communication definitely hasn't been a strength of theirs. The following is from This Week in Pinball on October 30, 2017:
"Pirates of the Caribbean New Info
As mentioned previously, Jersey Jack Pinball announced their newest game Pirates of the Caribbean at Expo. The game is packed with features and the response from the pinball community has been overwhelmingly positive. (Check out TWIP’s Deep Dive into the game here.) We reached out to Jersey Jack Pinball to find out some additional details:
The game will ship with the code at “Rules Complete” with all features included in the game (it was at around 20-30% at Expo)"
https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/twip-guardians-galaxy-rumor-round-jjp-pirates-new-info/

I agree in spirit I guess, but it doesn’t sound like you’ve owned a recent Stern ... they have taken forever on many of the recent games

#12458 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Whether that's true or not about Stern games really shouldn't have anything to do with this. The question isn't "Who does code updates more frequently?" it's "Should POTC be further along in it's code at this point and is it getting the same attention in code support as other JJP games?"
Even if that's true about Stern would it be a good reason for JJP to slack off on it too? "Hey, the other company isn't doing a very good job at it so why should we work to do much better than them?" That wouldn't be a very good way to earn customers and run a business. This isn't about making a comparison to anyone else, it's about what should the company that made this machine be doing to build the trust of its customers.

I suppose I meant “this is the current state of affairs with prices as they are, and the limited resources the companies are working with.” JJP (or any well-Run company) does JUST enough to stay ahead of the competition, so as not to over-spend and cut into potential profit. We know the margin was razor-thin on this game, after all the R&D money was spent on the mechs, and particularly the 3-disc spinner which was entirely scrapped.

Anyway. I’m not disagreeing that it would be great to get an update, just that it’s beyond reasonable expectations to see one for this particular game so soon after the last one, when we know they are on game 5, and given Keith’s health situation. But I’m hopeful, Pinball isn’t always reasonable !

#12462 4 years ago

That's what it all comes back to. With the playfield, with code updates, other issues. JJP is silent except for announcing on social media when they have a code update or when someone sends them a picture of their machines out in the wild. I don't know what goes on in the Google group, can't get in, but that should not be the only place they relay info to customers. They have a huge email database, they should use it. Nothing makes people happier than being informed about updates, timing, etc. Keeps customers engaged, knowledgable and off your back.
Or, the other route is to shroud everything in mystery, make the customers wonder and work hard to get the information and support they need, etc. I mean how many people really know about the several replacement parts or kit fixes that are out of the POTC? The lest JJP could do is have a single public location they put all of this information. A minimum effort of email sending would go a long way, not to mention I bet they would see a substantial uptick in product sales if they threw up some JJP merch and offered it through the newsletters, maybe a discount code now and then for parts, etc.
Ah but what do I know. Then they would have to expose the ugly underbelly of the whole thing and the wizard behind the curtain might be disappointing.

A lot of this is our fault though - they used to be fairly accessible through
The google groups, and here on Pinside. Then the complaining started. My god, you can read only a few pages back about someone bitching about an ENTIRE play field JJP was going to ship them -for free- as a replacement after the play field clear debacle. Now I can’t excuse Jjp for that - I think they should sue whomever cleared the play fields for their losses, or hit up their insurance company. Anyway, but my point is the complaining is out of control

#12470 4 years ago
Quoted from Thot:

There is, but you have to end the 31 missions and kill Smaug then you have finally arkenston wizzard mode!

Wait, what? So you have to get There And Back Again -and- kill Smaug? Ok that is nigh impossible

#12476 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It's coming. Keith said it was, and the new attract mode screen that lists number of balls per play that he confirmed was added to the upcoming system code made it out on WoZ 7.02 first instead.

I'm sure it is! I only meant that I was skeptical there was any actual news or statement, since JJP seems so close-lipped about updates. (although Jack has been pretty clear that they do not have immediate plans to do another run, but they have another 2-something years on the license)

What's the balls in play update do?

#12479 4 years ago
Quoted from bgwilly31:

Just to be clear you dont have to kill Smaug to get to there and back again.
All you have to do is Start all 32 modes i believe. You just have to start them as well not complete them. Still very difficult, but doable.

Right, understood -

#12481 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It just puts on the screen how many balls you get per game. On the jjPotC here we've (successfully) used an extra ball perk to bridge the gap to $1.50/play (or 4 for $5) so players don't feel it's too expensive. They get 4 balls per game instead of 3. It's worked out really well. jjPotC has earned 2x the next closest pin (which is usually Deadpool Premium) the whole time we've had it out - about 9 months. That's a REALLY good record.
Given the spiraling costs of Prem and LE machines, it's ALL going to $1.50/play sooner rather than later, and this is just one tool to help with that transition. Worked out really well in this case.

Got it. Interesting! I think 4 balls for $1.50 is totally reasonable. glad to hear there's still progress being made on WOZ!

#12486 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

what does it do?
Also, would be great to someone, even Stern, to make the gate on BP Ramp (left side) angled higher on left side so the ball doesn't get stuck. Now I've also tighten the screw on right side of the ramp to angle it down, but the ball still gets stuck sometimes on the gate.

Wait, Stern?

#12527 4 years ago
Quoted from PinWoofer:

Below is the JJP warranty link and "modification" is called out as being "not covered", so I read this as a broadly sweeping disclaimer about any modification. The word "void" does not appear in the document whatsoever and it's pretty clear that the warranty is for 30 days, for parts only excluding any shipping and labor, for the original purchaser:
http://marketing.jerseyjackpinball.com/general/jjp_warranty-updated.pdf
Our kit will make your title sound awesome and judging from the bump we had yesterday you are not alone in your sentiment about the audio. We have scores of these out there and there is nothing to worry about. I'm an EE with 25 years of experience and we definitely know what we're doing - there is no guesswork here. Cool running, fused amplifiers and safe wiring.
When we put a kit in your machine, we treat it like we're putting it in my machine. I hope you get my meaning there.

I can vouch for Dan's awesome kits - I agree that POTC is missing a bit in the audio department (specifically bass, like most pins). Adding PinWoofer to my (original) Monster Bash, Twilight Zone and STTNG have increased the audio quality CONSIDERABLY in all 3 games. Monster Bash now sounds like I have an external sub on it - so much so that I had to add foam to the glass surrounds because it was rattling so much! That game should sound like a rock concert - and now it does!

STTNG sounds much more full and immersive now, instead of the tinny sounds I was hearing before. And TZ (in which I have a PinSound) sounds incredible in stereo, and the music track is pulsing like it should.

I've added just the PinWoofer amp on STTNG and the full kit on other games, and having the dual-voice woofer is really important, but even the amp by itself is an order of magnitude improvement.

In the past, I've built my own solutions using an L-PAD and bigger 10" woofer, installed the Flipper Fidelity kits. Those are really good, and great ideas to enhance the game audio. But this is better.

#12532 4 years ago
Quoted from liorillusion:

i have a question for you guys. im looking to get another jjp machine. and a lot of people told me to get potc. i have woz and di and i dont want to get hobbit. so my question is what do you think about potc? from all of my collection i like woz! awesome game. but also i hear from a lot of people the potc have so many problems and also jjp stop support this game with parts. i can get LE NIB for 10k$ from jjp distributor. my woz and di comes with tons of problems and im still waiting for answers and parts from jjp but no luck (almost 2 months)

What problems?! This thread is about little tweaks and future proofing, not major issues

#12583 4 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

Those do look nice. Was this the kit you ordered?
https://www.pinballlife.com/britebuttons-illuminated-flipper-button-set-jjp-for-dialed-in.html
I assume it's a plug and play affair? Thanks

FWIW you can get the same setup from Comet for $15, or DIY with parts from them for about $5. Same exact stuff

#12590 4 years ago

Please let there be a code update announcement this weekend..

#12592 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I hope we hear something as well about Pirates code at Expo. If JJP doesn't say anything hopefully someone at the JJP seminar asks about it.

The expo thread implied that Keith had a bunch of big announcements but no one apparently actually saw the feed

Edit: sorry, I guess the announcement is on Saturday

#12625 4 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I thought fellow Pirates lovers might like this. This is my first JJP game, so I was always used to information and pricing cards on the apron on my Stern & Bally / Williams games. I like the graphics on the Pirates apron, but thought it looked a little empty down there, so I figured I would try something that was inspired by the signature card on the new Wonka CE and wouldn't break the bank. The game is basically the Joshamee Gibbs show with him being the narrator and all, so I thought it would be fun to have something from the character or the actor down there. The actor Kevin McNally is English and it doesn't look like he does a lot of conventions or anything in the states, so getting something personalized from him was out of the question in the short term. I went out to see what his autograph goes for and it was very cheap, so I got this index card signature from a reputable seller for $8.25 plus shipping. I liked how it had the signature, but also had his picture / info from the movies in a simple nice looking format, plus the size was a perfect fit. Then I went to a local collectible shop and got a hard plastic index card (3x5) holder for the signature card for $.27. I came home, pulled a crappy magnet off the fridge we had duplicates of that we got from some parade or something and used permanent double sided tape to adhere it to the bottom of the plastic holder. Since the apron is metal, the magnet works great to keep the signature card in place and makes the signature card easily removable without any game modifications. All said and done I now have my custom JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Joshamee Gibbs SE pin for an additional $12.52 and 15 minutes worth of a trip to the store and effort.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I love it! Really nice idea

#12657 4 years ago

Still enjoying this game, but I can't pretend I'm not incredibly disappointed by the "one last update" talk. I was really hoping they'd support this game longer... now its time to wait for the actual update...

#12663 4 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

Considering the game is not finished saying “one last update” is shit. Hopefully they don’t forget to put the basic features in this time. Wonder what bugs we will find in 1.0

In hindsight, they also said DI had “one last update” coming (and TH too), and both games ended up with 2 additional bug fix releases

#12674 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

There's a perfect perk for Keith's upcoming 1.00 code release. A single crappy character that has all negative perks. 25% scoring, lower mode times, zero plundering, etc. Would even the playing field in a head to head game with less capable players.

There are definitely more clear rules outlined in that spreadsheet Keith posted a while back. Several (most?) of the characters have some downside or another. It's not exactly what you're suggesting, but it does seem to even out the game rules a bit.

Follow-up on that - is there such a thing as a handicap setting on a game? Is this done in tournaments ever?

#12691 4 years ago
Quoted from tatapolus:

Oh gosh, I always loose in Liars Dice. Please no

Lol, I just happened to see this video this morning:

#12700 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Interesting. Thanks for checking. For the record, I’m not trying to say there might be a defect or anything wrong with it. I just didn’t expect that result and I’m just curious if it’s typical.

I’m not sure of the reasons for it, but there’s lots of reports of this on other games. I imagine the playfield slightly bows due to all the inconsistent distribution of weight on certain games.

#12701 4 years ago

Can someone point me to the posts that talk about the too-tight cable ties? I am still having the issue where my Pearl does not light up due to the RJ-45 jack not making a good connection.

#12703 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

I recall seeing posts about the ties to the Pearl with regard to the switch wires breaking under the Pearl, but I don’t recall anything related to that connector. I’m thinking that’s the Ethernet cable, is that right? I found this but I don’t think it relates to the Pearl.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/68#post-4822671
Which end of the connection is loose?

Ok yeah that’s what I was thinking about, but my issue is a bit different I guess.

The Ethernet cable on the Pearl side is loose. Actually I’m not sure it’s the cable, but that seems more likely than it being the jack itself. I can fiddle with it if I partially remove the Pearl, and the lights come back on, but then in half a game the movement turns it off again. I need to fully remove the Pearl and test it I guess.

#12705 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Try another cable to see if it changes the behavior, hopefully it's cable tension causing an intermittent cable and not the connector itself.

That’s what I’m hoping, but I’ll need to fully remove the Pearl to get at the cable I think.

#12737 4 years ago

FYI everybody - I had ordered some replacement parts way back when, and they were out of stock. Well, today I got confirmation they are being shipped. I don’t think I’ve ever been happier to get a box of basic metal parts LOL

#12742 4 years ago
Quoted from Heater:

Great to hear. What did you order?

Nothing on the PF - the apron wire form (which is apparently the most difficult part in the world to find for ANY game), some connectors, etc. stuff specific to POTC but not play field parts

#12777 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Posting this in a few topics, feel free to share.
I was concerned about Cliffy, due to his relative proximity to the current California fires and power outages, and he replied as such.
"I’m sorry but nothing going out right now as power has been cut, no internet, no way to print shipping labels. We are smothered in smoke and surrounded by fires and non-stop 50mph winds. Please let everyone know cliffys is down right now and could be a few more days without power
Sincerest apologies."

Man I hope he’s ok, and gets the hell away from the smoke. Didn’t realize he’s in California - he is the best. Incredibly hard worker too.

#12784 4 years ago
Quoted from Zora:

The extra ball is rewarded when you hit the slingshot at the very right side. But only without touching the bumpers over there. You can see that you get no EB when the ball comes out of the bumpers.

that shot is HARD, too. It's not impossible, you just have to really hit it straight and not too hard. The ball pretty much has to be at a dead stop, cradled in the flipper, then just touch it off the tip. Takes some practice, but it's not impossible. It is harder than the Houdini inner loop shot, but I can nail that one over and over again at this point.

#12804 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

I see one NIB LE available for sale but the price is ridiculous - $13,000.00.

Depends on how bad you want one. There aren’t any more rolling off the lines, and those who own one aren’t giving them up any time soon. At least this one is NIB. I’m not saying -I’d- pay that much, but the game is now pretty rare, and is one of the top machines of all time. Ultra packed (but not too-dense) playfield, super fun rules, SUPER fun shots .. easy to start, hard to master... code update coming soon...

#12806 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

Yes I agree. If I absolutely had to have it and didn’t have one yet I would probably pay that, but it’s ridiculous to be so greedy like that. That’s Capitalism for you. You can get almost always get something you want, you just might have to pay through the nose to get it. I still can’t for the life of me figure out why Jersey Jack stopped making arguably the best pinball machine ever made. I know they had line issues and they had some design problems, and they were behind schedule with Wonka, but they seem to have fixed all that and the pin once dialed in works great and is absolutely incredible. It is highly loved and well known, plus they’ve already put all their money into design and all they need to do is start up the line and make new parts. I can easily see them selling 5000 of these eventually. I think it’s a shame only 1000 are out in the world. I feel very lucky to have one. However that does virtually guarantee our resale value if we ever decide to sell. I can’t see me ever selling my POTC. It’s my flag ship pin.

I have no idea either ... but I suspect the preorders being cancelled from the stupidity surrounding the spinning disc had something to do with it. Plus there’s almost NO way they had any sort of profit margin on this game. There’s just way too much stuff in there. Hopefully they can reuse some of the mech designs elsewhere.
I don’t play the game quite as often as when I first got it but it’s still a winner for sure

#12819 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

But profit margins almost always go up with greater sales. If they stuck to it, I can’t see how they don’t make a profit. And if thier price estimates were off, just raise the price $500.00. It’s definitely worth it even at that price. It doesn’t really matter to me I already have one in fact mine is only going to be worth more if they don’t make anymore. I just wish there were more out there for people to buy some so many people want one.

Hence why the preorders being cancelled affected the game production. Projections were cut, and the risk of producing games that would just sit in inventory grew immensely with every cancellation. Then by the time demand built up, they had moved on to Wonka.

Somebody asked about the spinning disk and how the video version is not as good. It’s not as cool as an “oh wow!” Feature, no, but if you had played the original prototype, you’d realize (as JJP did) that it was not readable on the playfield so you’d know what reward you collected. The video version and the way they slowed the game down so you could read it is MUCH smarter.

I am starting to feel like the lack of a marketing arm at JJP is hurting them a bit, despite them coming out with these incredible games with each release. They could have salvaged the spinning disk by producing a video or YouTube comment about it, explaining the decision and giving it the appropriate positive spin. I’m sure it wouldn’t have saved everybody’s preorder but that’s just what you do when you’re needing to cut parts of a project.

#12860 4 years ago

Dang! Lots of new posts, thought there was a code update. Not cool, guys!

#12863 4 years ago
Quoted from anathematize:

The standard we used to have on location had the mini LCD compass in the apron . It was an early one so I’m not sure if that ended up getting changed later in the manufacturing run???
I always thought the biggest ‘gameplay’ differences were the aforementioned starfield and the color changing GI lighting.

The LCD on the apron is on the SE on all games that came out of the factory. There’s really no “gameplay” differences. The star map is not integral to the game, and the GI lighting is really nice (totally disagree it doesn’t enhance the game), but it does not subtract from the game itself.

That said, the LE includes Invisiglass, a shaker, nicer powder coated armor, and the aforementioned playfield changes. The cost difference is pretty minimal when considering these additional (costly!) items. The Invisiglass is REALLY nice to have on this game, with so many things so close to the glass.

You
May want to consider what happens if you try to sell - I’m sure given the scarcity you’d be able to sell the SE, but an LE sale is a guarantee. Especially if they do return to production.

#12873 4 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

The SE is actually more scarce than the LE.

I meant the game in general

#12880 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

Very common problem. If you push back all the way on the ship it should trigger the switch and clear the fault. Can't recall exactly how it all works, but there is a mechanical switch on the rear of the backboard that is triggered when the ship is hit.

Yep. mine does this too. The fix is real

#12915 4 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

To be honest I’ve been trying to learn 3D modeling to start making some toppers. Personally not too impressed with “most” of the built in toppers these days and the aftermarket ones are just kinda meh for me. With that being said the ce topper for potc looks cool not so much the se and le. My idea for potc would be a black pearl replica. Cannon doors would open and close with some lighting effects when they open. Would also like to come up with an impractical topper. For example a wonka factory topper that you can put a dish of water in and some dry ice to have smoking factory. Impractical but fun.

I’d love to see someone make a topper out of whatever Blackbeard’s ship is called in the movie. That thing was nuts!!

#12932 4 years ago
Quoted from Izzy24:

I got to ”Don’t Betray the Compass” wizard mode last night. It ended quick and I still dont know what to do. Is it just hitting the shots that line up with where the compass is pointing?

Which one is that? Is that the Curse of the Black Pearl wizard mode?

#12950 4 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Hey guys this volume control in the front of the machine on my POTC CE, is there a way it can control the main volume like it does on my Dialed In ,or is it only for headphone use?

it controls the main volume. Should be doing so already by default

#12952 4 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Yes menu setting thanks ! Don’t suppose same thing for woz ? I’ll check into it

This does *not* work on WOZ or on TH, just DI and games afterwards

#12981 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

Thanks for the link!! They just sold another one! Has anyone come up with a mod to replace the concentric spinning disks with lighted inserts?

You don’t want it. It was impossible to read, and the video version is MUCH more clear. It looked cool on video but was boring and prone to complications in the game. The biggest problem is that it wasn’t able to throw the ball around very much

#13005 4 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

Where is "Super X" lit, once the Pirates lanes have all been lit? It's always so crazy at that moment I never can find it. ; )

there's a target up near the Chest that you have to hit to collect whatever is lit on the small screen on the apron

#13058 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Sure, why not.

==============================================================================
== Version 0.99 April 23, 2019 ==
==============================================================================
=== Game Code
* Updated some multiball jackpot assets.
* Slight improvement to wanted poster rendering.
* Changed and added HSTD wanted posters.
* Updated team credits.
* Fixed HSTD pages in attract mode and status report showing up if high
scores are set to off.
* Significantly reduce time Wizard Mode HSTDs are displayed in attract mode.
* HSTD posters now show during the first pass of attract mode then every 4
(was 4th pass then every 4).
* Fixed missing movie backgrounds.
* Fixed cannon not firing during major choreography events.
* Fixed issue with Dead Man's Chest multiball targets availability didn't
match up with current difficulty level.
* Fixed Elizabeth not always lighting 3 chapters.
+ Added hat/eye patch decorations to HSTD photos.
+ Added parrot and skull images to HSTD photos.
* Fixed an adjustment name for Black Pearl Multiball.
* Multiball totals now show up at multiball end, not after grace period.
* Fix potential lockup in HSTD picture face recognition.
* Reworked how game locks in your character if you don't select via action
button (basically, flips after ball leaves shooter lane don't count for
changing your character since they are probably accidental in that
regard).
* Left orbit chapter post helper now only works during grace period, not
grace grace.
* Update social media page.
* Compass shot names updated.
* Fix "Null award" showing up in Tortuga Mystery.
+ Added an Easter Egg to turn off plundering for next game. The sequence
is: BLRLLRR where B = both flippers at the same time, L = left flipper,
R = right flipper. If you do it a second time, it will re-enable
plundering. Plundering is automatically re-enabled at game end.
* Map awards are now competition-friendly. They will be awarded, in order,
as follows:
- Points (starting order: 10K, 20K, 30K, 10K, 25K, 20K, 40K, 10K)
- Add-a-ball
- Light gold (starting order: 10, 20, 30, 40, 10, 20, 50)
- Treasure (starting order: 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 1, 3)
- Bonus X (almost always 1, sometimes 2)
- Award gold (starting order: 10, 20, 30, 40, 10, 20, 50, 30, 10)
- Playfield X (if running, add 1x sometimes 2x; not, 2x, 3x, 2x, 4x)
The item first in list is awarded. If it's not currently allowed, then
the next award is tried. When an award is finally selected and awarded,
it goes to the end of the list.
- Plundering takes precedence over normal Map awards. Whatever the game
is set to, the game will approximately try to match that percentage when
it is available (not in a multiball). If the game is set for CUTTHROAT
(65%), then plundering tries will be successful as follows: NYNYYNYY
- Plundering is still subject to the Plunder Items adjustment. If
everything is allowed, then they will be awarded in relative ratios:
- 1. 5x gold (starting order: 30, 40, 50, 30, 20, 40, 60)
- 2. 4x points (starting order: 30K, 20K, 30K, 10K, 40K)
- 3. 3x treasure
- 4. 2x captain
- 5. 1x ball
A typical distribution would look like: 123124132112345
- If a selected item isn't currently available because of game state, then
that plunder chance is lost for that Map award and it will fall back to
a normal award.
- In competition mode, revenge plunder chances ALWAYS succeed.
* Extra Ball unavailable score set to 25K.
* Special points score set to 50K.
* Tortuga Mystery only scores points during competition mode now. This will
change very soon. Points scored are based on mystery level. Jack
increases the effective level of award by 1. Scores per level are:
1K / 1K / 2.5K / 2.5K / 5K / 5K / 10K / 10K / 25K / 25K
* You're own your own if you choose to play Liar's Dice in competition mode.
=== Core Code
* Added some system events to event logger.
* Fixed potential display lockup in rare circumstances.
* Start button dispatches on close in diag now instead of open.
* Fixed rare texture overruns in movies.
* Trough test enhanced.
+ Switch test now supports reflective optos.
+ Added some more error logging.
* Fixed a camera crash that could occur during factory reset or turn on the
camera disabled adjustment.
* Rollunder gate debounce time adjusted.
* Fixed ball accounting after ball search 4 (could possibly go too high).
* Abandoned devices now don't count as having released balls during ball
search.
* Version string of game now includes dongle flags and game trim level.
* Game won't refuse to start with missing camera files now.
=== OS
* Fixed an incorrect updater screen.
+ Support for Gen3 & Gen4 motherboards.
* Better display handling.
* Avoid thumb drive "corruption" after an update.
+ Starting with drives imaged from this version, ISOs will be able to save
system data (audits, adjustments, high scores, etc.). This happens by
default if the system detects a compatible existing version. It is
possible to reset factory defaults by following on-screen instructions
during imaging.
- Note this means the first time you install this version, your existing
drive will NOT be compatible, so you'll need to backup settings manually
if you want to keep them.

Anybody know if there's been any word on follow up to this?

#13060 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Well … after they get the WiFi enabling update finalized on Wonka (in the process of working on that with beta testers, almost there), they said that they would test and roll that capability out to Pirates, DI, TH, and WOZ afterwards. Maybe that update for Pirates would include the other updates that Keith was working on too. We can hope.

:/

#13062 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I'm a bit disappointed with the way code has been handled for Pirates. Not only is JJP's most recent game, Wonka, more code complete then Pirates but JJP is also likely working on another title or two. We paid our $8500 - $12,500 for Pirates, it's time to finish the code.

The game is great as-is, it’s impressive it shipped as compete as it did, but it is OBVIOUS that there is more work to be done on some of the game. It’s missing some pieces yes but also some of the scoring needs to be leveled out, and it plays a bit too long like Hobbit did before the massive update. It’s still an all time great, but .. yeah. It’s time.

As a POTC owner AND a Houdini owner i am really hoping for an update somewhere soon. Houdini is in the same boat - awesome game I really enjoy, but it has some gaping holes and hasn’t been updated since early April. AP only has 2 games (well now 3 I guess) too.

#13078 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I tend to agree....its pretty disappointing that JJP has basically given up on probably their best game to date....they don't even stock spare parts, which is pretty worrisome.

Again, they are stocking parts. I just had an order shipped for a couple wireforms

#13084 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

They told me last week their out of wire forms

Literally today just received mine

#13095 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Keep trying to call Steve. If buying parts call Shannan.
LTG : )

Both Steve and Shannan have hooked me up of late. Steve is better to get via email and Shannan has followed up THREE times with me to pay some outstanding shipping for my order. (Which I was forgetting to call in and pay) These people are awesome.

#13132 4 years ago
Quoted from Crunch:

Why are there so few Jersey Jack POTC manufactured? Was it a poor title? Is there support issues with the game? Is the game stable no issues or are there consistent repairs needed?
What do you feel value for dollar JJP are quite a bit more $$$ than every other manufacture are they worth the extra coin?
I have been looking to purchase a Jersey Jack pinball but my local dealer has warned me to stay away he has had to many issues with the JJP pins and stopped stocking them please chime in and let me know if this is true or not.

I’ve heard this comment before... there are LOTS of distributors. Find another one. There are too many owners who sing the praises of these games

#13133 4 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

When JJP first demo'd POTC they used a prototype machine. Later they announced that the production pin would not included some of the cool features, and that turned off a lot of buyers who had put down deposits. I'm guessing early sales were slower than expected. By the time everyone realized how amazing POTC was, JJP had already decided to move on with their next pin (Wonka) and POTC production was limited to 1000 units (200 CEs, 650 LEs, 150 SEs). There has also been a rumor that Jack wanted parts for and additional 500 machines but for some reason did not move forward with that.

Well said. POTC cost $$ and businesses including JJP are there to make a profit. POTC made that tough; hopefully the next couple games do not

1 week later
#13197 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Yo ho yo ho would be good. A creepy call out of “Dead men tell no tales” for attract mode like they have at the start of the POTC ride might be good too.

I need to get back to work decrypting the hard drive. This is a great idea.

#13218 4 years ago
Quoted from koops:

File encryption plus hardware based security dongles. It’s unlikely to get broken to the degree people are adding their own additional code. Still possible perhaps but not sure if anyone would spend that time on it.
There are certain things you can monitor/modify (high scores, events, some audits) as these are stored elsewhere but they aren’t as interesting.

The dongle is already cracked; it is in the wild. The remaining challenge is the hard drive, which with the dongle private key in hand, will be comparatively simple

#13255 4 years ago
Quoted from Time:

Didn't know about the 3 year. But really, if they aren't changing things then it should be trivial extending it. Dutch Pinball with their whole nonsense figured something out on TBL. A good part of Disney's business is built on licensing products to manufactures and JJP has the relation and deal already. Personally I do think there will be a special edition coming like Yellow Brick road. Even if its just 50-100 or so. But unfortunately, I'm too think when that does happen then we'd see similar pricing to WOZ release. Maybe they're waiting for those to be sold out so they aren't cannibalizing their high-end sales

Disney is expensive since they are a proven brand, and they are SLOOOOOOOOOOOOW! Likely JJP would want to make some slight tweaks to the game, sell it as the “Black Pearl Edition” or something. Disney would take ages to approve, and they have to approve EVERYTHING. there’s 2 floors of the HQ dedicated to taking paperwork around to the scars of people for signatures. Plus they work in entertainment which is filled with people unable to make a decision in fear of being fired. No thanks..

#13269 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Try playing as Norrington. That character makes completing chapters easier, which means less time spent on each chapter, which means a chance to play more chapters per ball. During multiballs with Norrington the chapters can get done pretty fast.

My go-to character is Angelica, because you get a 'gimme' shot each chapter (free male character), which also makes it FAR easier to complete chapters. Funny how the more popular characters have the lamest features

#13279 4 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

There’s a huge difference between JJP and Spooky. Go check out the R&M thread; the lead designer, lead coder, and a few others (including the owner) have all been participating in the conversation about the pin. When was the last time Jack or anyone from JJP got involved in a forum thread? It’s that kind of transparency that helped sell out R&M in four hours, not the fact that it was limited to 750 units. Also, R&M is a very current and relevant IP, so it appeals to a younger generation, as opposed to the majority of current IP themes (Munsters, WW, JP, etc.). Obviously a pinball theme is not what makes it great, but it can generate excitement. Will be interesting to see how Stranger Things does, at least it’s semi-recent. Anyway, I love my POTC and it will never leave my collection. Hoping the same for my R&M!

Preeeety sure the theme helped quite a bit with the sales too...

1 week later
#13346 4 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

In my midnight cookie haze I was thinking how people always compare Stern to JJP when it comes to updates. The arguement is it sometimes takes stern a while to update code and even sometimes it takes a while before people think the code is "acceptable". I am going to argue that Stern comes out 4-5 machines a year and while it does take a while sometimes they literallly are doing 5x (prolly more) the work and still manage to get updates out for their machines. Wasnt jjp supposed to have 2 machines release this year? I kinda remember ther being an arguement about how they were doing 2 machines this year and thats why code updates were coming slow. Where is this second machine that "delay" finishing up potc code. Next someone will argue the Keith had a heart attack. Well he looked pretty good at the expo a couple months ago and I have known people that have had heart attacks and been fine a week later (not saying this is his situation). Wonka has had 19 updates this year from "first code" to current in 9 months. Potc has had 5 in 18 months. If you look at release dates and the amount of changes you can tell that the coding can be done in a timely manner if they would put ANY effort into finishing it up. Must be nice to work for a "good ole boys" company where you get paid to sit on your ass and do nothing. Pretty sure I will never buy another jjp machine due to horrible customer service. I have a 10k half finished machine. Yes I said half finished as if your able to get though 25 chapters there is nothing to do in the game (if I remember right you lose alot of the callouts at this point also).

You do have to also remember that Stern is a WAYYYYY bigger company. They have the efficiency of scale, and their recent software platform changes have led to huge gains in software development startup time. They’re not starting from scratch every time now

#13360 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Anyone bitching that the final wizard mode isn't in yet needs to provide footage of them clearing all 5 existing wizard modes in one game.
People just like to find things to complain about.
JJP is not going to blow this off. They still release Woz and Dialed in updates FFS.

I don't personally care about the final wizard mode yet, but I would like to see the enhancements to the characters and any other ideas they had floating around. The game still kicks ass. Add the chest mod and you are in business!

#13366 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

I think it's fine for anyone to state their opinion on the code updates & lack of communication from JJP whether they're annoyed by it or not, but nobody should be okay saying someone needs to show proof of anything to anyone to get a feature that was described in the marketing material and is still not in the game over a year later with no communication from JJP about an expected timeframe for it getting done.
I don't think this is nitpicking or searching for something to complain about. I think any complaining about a lack of code updates is pretty reasonable at this point, and JJP has earned a bit of criticism by not delivering what they said when they said they would and by not communicating about it. The more time passes the less likely the code is to get done as other business priorities and issues arise. Other projects will take priority or they'll have personnel turnover, all of which will continually push the POTC code timeline back further. They said the game code would be rules complete at launch and it wasn't. It's now over a year later and JJP is still not even discussing a timeline. They posted a list of new character traits for the new code in April and now we're at the end of December with only silence since then. I think it's fair for that to annoy some people.
For anyone who doesn't think it's a big deal, that's absolutely fine but it doesn't entitle you to trivialize or minimize the way someone else is feeling about it. There's no need police people's criticisms of JJP on this. Why should it bother you that anyone is aggravated about the lack of code updates? What stake do you have in how they feel? I don't care that you weren't bothered by chipping playfields and that you aren't bothered by the lack of code updates. I felt no need to post anything in reply criticizing your opinions on those things or anything else. I don't see why you still very often feel the need to try to dismiss other people's thoughts on those things though.

Here’s hoping that you were actually responding to the previous comment I quoted, and not my post

#13370 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Whoops! Sorry, I meant to quote ZaphX's post and not yours. I just edited my post above to put the correct quote in. Sorry about that.

LOL. No problem. Now, where’s the code?!?!

#13376 4 years ago
Quoted from Vans:

Are those plastic protectors really needed off Mezel mods? Also has anyone installed the sound dampener for the spinning disk?

IMO plastic protectors are
Smart, especially for
This game. The spinning disc dampener DOES help, a little. It’s not tons

1 week later
#13536 4 years ago

That is QUITE a next-level tease! Wow. Well done JJP. Now make it happen in the game! #wheresthecode

#13610 4 years ago
Quoted from tatapolus:

So.... even Alien is getting another huge code update. Where is Pirates?

Alien isn’t getting a code update - a bug fix release was found on a hard drive mistakenly shipped to a customer before they shut down. It’s not new content, and is about 2 years old

#13615 4 years ago
Quoted from tatapolus:

Oh why is there always someone who is starting to argue... My original comment was ment to be taken with a smile... sorry if that wasn't the case The changelog of the Alien 1.3 Beta update is quite impressive. Fixes quite a few things that will make the game even better. I don't know when it was created, but if it's being released now, then it is a new code update for me and many other owners. And I would love to have a update for my Pirates that adds the final Wizard mode as promised.

Yes! My comment was only meant to clarify that no "new work" is being done on Alien - there are many rumors about the game being remade, and in another thread this update was taken as "proof" that a new run was imminent. I do not argue that we need a new Pirates update!!

#13620 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

I just searched Pinside in general and it seems like scoop/VUK kickout consistency issues are somewhat common. I didn’t see a dedicated forum where this is discussed though. Maybe worth starting one to try to gather various solutions under one roof?

The scoop *hood* has a LOT to do with the VUK success rate too. If it's too wide open, the ball will jitter as it escapes, and sometimes touch the playfield and bounce between them really quickly. This has the effect of reducing the ball velocity so much (in this case) that it might not be able to clear the gate

#13623 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

True, but also if it’s pushed through the scoop hood at even a slightly different trajectory each time it can make a big difference in how it comes out. I think the real indicator of the problem is the variation in how it comes out so differently from one shot to the next with no changes made to pitch, coil power, or anything else. If it were just the hood and everything else was consistent then I’d think the ball would at least come out pretty consistently the same way each time vs sometimes faster and sometimes slower.
The issues on my Tortuga & STTNG cannon could have been different than other people, all I know is when I fixed it I didn’t change the deflector or anything else at all. I had previously over the months fiddled with power settings on Tortuga but it never resolved the lack of consistency. When I added the pad to the coil rest it instantly went from zero consistency to 100%. The Depths could certainly be a different issue, but in looking at my Depths I was noticing the ball coming up out of there slightly differently from shot to shot also and just power changes weren’t eliminating that inconsistency.

Totally agree. So you want to eliminate the scoop hood as a possibility The jitter can absolutely cause the sort of horizontal unpredictability you're describing.

#13629 4 years ago
Quoted from dgposter:

This is a long overdue update to this key post and a shout out to Chris@Kingpin Games.
TL;DR Chris is an awesome distributor!
My original post states that I wanted to maximize my chance of receiving a trouble-free JJP POTCLE, so I hired Chris to have the game shipped from JJP directly to him. He would then inspect the game, add some mods and play test it before shipping to me in a custom-built crate.
Well, the game showed up at Kingpin Games in perfect condition. No issues. He then proceeded to complete the above and shipped it to me in CA. The game arrived and looked perfect from the outside. There was no damage to the shipping crate. However, once I unpacked it, I noticed that the ship wasn’t connected to the back panel, as the bracket holding the ship had sheared off. Then I noticed the same thing had happened to the chest, with that bracket shearing off as well. The right ramp had a crack in the back of it and the monitor had become dislodged and scratched the back glass from the inside.
It was obvious that the crate had been dropped. It wasn’t hard enough to break any glass, but it was enough to cause the above stated damage. Unfortunately, the game was unplayable, and I had to break the news to Chris. More unfortunate was the fact, that since Chris had opened the original box for me and repackaged it, JJP was not liable for any of the damages and it would be a tough road trying to get the shipping company to pay for anything since there was no visible damage to the crate.
However, none of that was necessary, because Chris stepped up and took care of everything for me out of his own pocket! He had JJP send me the new parts I needed to get the game up and running. I installed the parts, fixed the game and it is now 100% perfect! Not only that, Chris also sent me a very generous gift for the time and effort I spent fixing the game.
The first day I talked to Chris to order my POTC, he told me that no matter what, he would do everything in his power to make sure I’m a happy customer. He also told me that he was a man of his word. Chris is absolutely that and more. He is a great distributor that I would highly recommend and will do business with again in the future. Thanks, Chris!
Ok, back to playing this amazing game!

Ok. wow. That is the definition of above and beyond. wow. Remarkable.

#13655 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Anyone know how many spins around the inner orbit it takes to re-qualify On Stranger Tides (Movie 4) multiball after the first time you play it? It's bugged me for a long time noticing that a lot of shots don't advance that multiball and I took the glass off and tested it tonight. First time through all shots advanced it and only had to cross the first opto. But after running the multiball I sent about 5 or 6 more balls around the inner orbit and while they registered for qualifying a chapter and made the sound effect for the shot, they never advanced the multiball. Does it take a bunch more shots around that orbit to re-qualify the multiball? This has bugged me for a long time now but I only finally decided to stop and investigate tonight. I looked at the Game Settings and there's a difficulty level setting for that multiball but it doesn't have any information about what the setting means. The manual on page B-34 doesn't give any detail on the setting either. Anyone know?

I recall reading in some documentation that the loops are only counted when they are non-consecutive. I take this to mean some other switch needs to be hit in between. I sometimes hit the bumpers while trying to do the loop consistently, which I believe allows it to count toward the total.

#13665 4 years ago

Checking feverishly every other day for code updates, but.. no

#13687 4 years ago

Anyone interested in a better topper? I've been working on some ideas and they are also lightly integrated with gameplay. It wouldn't be cheap but it would be easy to install and provide some fun interaction.

How about we do a kickstarter to get some new code instead...

#13731 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I think it will happen if JJP is in business long enough....I think their running on fumes at the moment...I think they need to demonstrate profitability and making a couple hundred POTC's isn't gonna get it done.

Based on what? Not sure I've seen the "OMG make more POTC quick so JJP stays Afloat" argument.

#13757 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Haven't posted regarding my game for a good while.
I started following the POTC thread way back in fall 2018. I read about the fixes, made sure to know what I was getting into, then decided to jump in and purchase around February 2019.
I got my game in March, waited for my Cliffys to arrive, then started to read about playfield issues.
Over the course of the past year, I've waited to gather as many protective parts, Cliffys, starposts, mylar rings, etc, and finally went in last night to finish up with mods, protective star posts, and the updated Cliffys.
I have only 100 games played on my POTC.
Last night upon first inspection, I found dimples scattered around the lower third of the game, the kind I expected on a routed game, with 1000's of games played on it monthly.
When taking apart the sling under the Pearl, a giant ring was under the star post, two other smaller ones under the regular posts. Later I found large ripples under the washer for the guiderail, then even an indentation under the metal rail right next to the Pearl VUK.
I know this isn't new info, I prior replaced the sling posts, seeing rippling there, as well as had a tear near the shooter lane. But I guess for me, I felt I staved playing my game, for nearly a year now, and felt I was doing so to prolong my game for decades to come.
Last night felt pretty heart breaking frankly, to realize nothing I can do to protect my favorite game of the last three decades, will help alter the complete state of fuckdom that this playfield has placed this entire game into.
It's just disheartening, disgusting, and saddening. And it all comes back to this cursed playfield, that all of us Pirates owners have to deal with.
Nothing much else to do at this point. This entire time I could have been playing daily. Instead I chose to find as many bandaids as possible, to place on a gaping wound, across an entire bleeding body.
This fucking sucks.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That does suck. One thing you could do is you know... have it cleared properly like many of us do with our favorite games

#13787 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Characters, some bug fixes, you can switch characters after 20 pirate target hits, motion detection attract mode call outs, (wifi updates maybe), and they said this is just some of the changes for the next update.

Holy crap that is a lot of stuff! I like the idea of changing characters. This game is never going away!

#13813 4 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

If your giving out software for a beta test it should include all features (of said beta). This would create a situation where your beta testers say everything looks good then they push out update with other features as well that break the features the out of house guys said was good. The final wizard mode should include a little bit of everything. Or at least some reference to the 5 chapters. So the out of house guys say that the “normal stuff” looks good. The in house guys test the wizard mode and are happy but when you put them together a bunch of bugs pop up. Happens all the tome with software but is why developers allow you to run beta code. Bugs arenot found when you have 3 special people testing something. Bugs are found through brute force of thousands of users stress testing a program. You can also look at game developers. They give their game away for free months before release for stress testing and bug reporting to everyone (normally only for a few days). This gives them hundred of thousands instances to check code and fix anything major/minor. If new code is only in a few people’s hands you can believe there will be bugs some possibly game changing

I can complain too! Global warming! Indoor smokers! Nitrates!

There’s another code update after this one. Maybe chill.

#13827 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Awesome job! Where did you find that monkey?

Forget the monkey, where did you find the Skelton pirate?! That is awesome

#13841 4 years ago
Quoted from bgwilly31:

First off just wanted to share i replaced the Shooter rod spring with a stronger one from pinball life. And my plunger performs perfectly now. I read through some people having issues. I did the same things tried adjusting, disassembling etc etc. I just made sure i was close to lined up correctly and replaced the spring and bingo. Plunges great now.
Now to the negative
Between the code complainers and the JJP Has to remake Pirates people this thread sucks anymore. i just read through 20 pages of catch up material and most of it was that crap.
1st to the "i beat the game easy guy". Id love to see your game set up. And of course you cant possibly record a game because you live on another planet apparently. Do you have a smartPhone? lol
Between outlane posts, tilt bobs, and game settings games can play much easier.
And everything we have heard, from reputable sources, says Pirates will not be remade at any point in the foreseeable future. For other reasons other than money. So stop with all this speculation. Its been discussed over and over again with the same comments. If you want the game find an owner and make offers.
PS i dont know about you guys but watching Karl spam for gold was hilariously entertaining. Im not sure the value of that will stay in the game past the beta though. But my son would go crazy for that feature. Im excited for whatever updates they have in store for us. The final wizard mode will come.

I absolutely don’t believe anybody’s made it to Break the Curse on anything other than 5 ball, get unlimited extra balls every 15 points and LOTS of time. Those mini-wizard modes are HARD.

I’m super impressed with all the little touches in the updates though, beyond the character changes. Can’t wait to check it OUT!!!

#13853 4 years ago
Quoted from Zora:

To be honest I had problems to identify the little touches beyond the character changes from the Buffalo streaming. What have you noticed?
I am still struggling with the details of this complex rules. Can anybody tell me where I have to shoot to get the bonus from the treasure hord, once you achieve collecting all the treasures? Second what I red here is that a certain number of map awards reward an extra ball, is that a general rule and which number of shots is required?

Now I'm the one not remembering - but there is a post in this thread or in Whereisthecode thread which talks about th changes. You can switch characters after a succession of events, changes to the character rules obviously, the camera is somehow used as a way to Entice players during attract mode, and I can't remember what else I read

#13886 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

Anyone looking to pick up one of these new pirates playfields? Jjp was kind enough to send me one from this new batch based on the issues my game had. I have since sold my game and as much as I'd like the wall art, I like green rectangular paper art more.
I'm pricing it based off what CPR is charging for their good playfields, so looking for $850 + shipping. Again, the new batch which does not have the dimpling or pooling issue any longer. Still unopened in the box, see the potc pooling thread for pictures from someone who has opened their playfield from the new batch. Thanks

How much did you pay JJP for the new playfield ?

#13892 4 years ago
Quoted from benbethel:

Finally got my NIB (then modded, then shipped) POTC CE #138 yesterday - after paying $16,500 for it and wiring $29K to someone (also a Wonka Ce) on 11/13/2019 - I've been unpacking things, putting them together, reading up, and finally booted it last night and played two games. Here's a link to the photo album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/BqyW3VBw25A3tCnCA
So far - and forgive me for not knowing all the lingo, I'm clueless...
* my left lane wire ramp isn't lined up, trying to loosen nuts but still doesn't want to move...
* my starfield (the JJP one) and starfield mod aren't working, the mod has a few lights illuminate, the JJP one has the green light on but no testing shows the lights...
* the screen was dropped and backglass paint is scratched - I opened the backbox and tried adjusting but it won't sit at the right level, argh...
* ball got stuck somewhere in the back need to investigate that...
* when sliding the playfield back in it doesn't want to go all the way back to sit nicely, it seems to barely fit, and in doing that when I dropped it in one of the orange plastic pieces on the left lane flew into the air, guess I need a new one of those...
Really wish someone in Phoenix with great knowledge of this game would come over and check it out and let me know what's working/not working as it should. This is my 7th.. went from Bride of Pinbot, added Whitewater, Simpsons Pinball Party, Woz 75th Ruby Red, Road Show, Hobbit Smaug, now POTC CE, and 8th pin - Wonka CE - arrives on Thursday... since then I've sold Whitewater, TSPP... really do miss that Whitewater. I'm addicted, love them, but really need to start knowing more and caring more and understanding more!
Thanks everyone!
Ben

take things one at a time! As far as the playfield not going in, you probably need to remove the foam block at the back of the cabinet. That’s not supposed to stay in.

#13921 4 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

Is no one talking about the new beat code? Just dialed in to Kevin's live feed but have zero idea about what is new.

I assume you meant “beta” code . There’s another thread where it’s being discussed. I am quite ready for it to be released, let me tell ya!

#13928 4 years ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

Where? I can't find it. I watched some of the twitch video, not all. The only new updates discussed were character changes.
Thanks

I think it was the “JJPWHERESTHECODE” thread. There were other mentions of attract mode changes, LE numbers being shown on game, (I think) the difficulty settings being populated. I can’t remember what else

#13948 4 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I agree. Color changing GI can be okay on a color explosion game like WOZ or Wonka, but on a darker themed game like Pirates I don't think it translates nearly as well. Having a game like Pirates light up all neon pink looks out of place.

Was about to post nearly the opposite comment ! I don’t think the RGB GI adds much to a game like Say, Monster Bash, but I think it is QUITE important to the moodiness of POTC.

#13978 4 years ago
Quoted from Moomert1:

I have an "issue" and I'm wondering if this is the norm for JJP games. When I remove the lockbar.....once removed, the glass will very easily fall away from the cabinet.
On other machines, after removing the lockbar, the glass may slide a few inches or so. Then I need to slide the rest out myself. On my POTC, if I'm not there to "catch" the glass, it would fall right out by itself. Is that normal or not?

happens on lots of games, JJP, Stern, WMs games, etc. It's just a variation in the installation of the side rail plastic channel. If it really bugs you, you can add a bit of electrical tape to the top corners of the glass, where its' not visible when fully installed. Or you can add a run of felt down the channel plastic. just make sure it's installed fully inside the channel itself, and doesn't come out whatsoever. Make sure you start it closest to the bottom, and go up as far as you want. If you install it farther up, the glass can catch on it and pull it off.

#13982 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Posted this a week or so ago. Anyone have any tips?
I'm reading that a hair dryer is good, regarding using heat to remove mylar.

1) why do you want to remove it?

2) always wax immediately before you place Mylar - Makes it a snap to remove.

There’s about equal footing between the heat and the freeze people. I have no empirical evidence for this but it seems to me that The freeze method is less damaging to the art and clearcoat.

#13989 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I did read a bunch on mylar removal, figured I'd ask around, as a few pros like yourself haunt this thread, luckily!
So.....I can actually use the iron over the existing mylar, without having to remove it?

I wouldn't remove it - this is one of those things that can quickly go wrong.

but if you're going to do the iron, the mylar's probably going to melt and turn into a big gross mess, so you'll have to decide how badly you want to do the ironing.

#13999 4 years ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

Joining the club today! What is the latest code? Just curious if I’m up to date[quoted image]

0.99 but the next version is being beta tested now..

#14034 4 years ago

.99 does not have presets, or at least you can’t see what the settings are. Hopefully 1.02 fixes

#14040 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

They have only found a few dongles that will work so far. Linux doesn't like some (or most) of them currently. It would be best to wait as I'm guessing that JJP will come up with a list of ones that they know will work. And, you wont need it until the update after the full iso update that has the new WIFI code. A direct wire ethernet cable would work after that WIFI update also. You would be able to get it from anywhere - like Amazon, or maybe even Best Buy or the other usual places.

The cheapo Atheros ones made for the Raspberry pi all work AFAIK

1 week later
#14144 4 years ago
Quoted from V4Vendetta:

I hate the cheapo 2 plactic bumper caps that come stock so I bought 3d printed caps from 2 different companies but I realized I hate the ugly layer lines (I can't be the only one that thinks this) they leave on the finished product even more than the original. This is why fdm printers will never surpass resin printers in print quality imo. So I decided to tackle this since I love this game so much.
First I downloaded many different barrel designs from thingiverse but after printing all of them out with my sla printer, installing them one by one i found out that having 2 different lookings barrels in a came drove me crazy due to my ocd nature. So i made a mold of the stock barrel and made casts of the original and airbrush them and did panel lines and drybrushing to finish it off.
But this is where i need your opinion. I want to put few 3d printed things on the barrel to add some extra detail to top it off. I decided to add some dice to represent liars dice and the key for the trunk (spoiler alert) cuz that's the reason why they play liars dice on the movie. This is where I need ur input. I want to put a 3rd item to finish it and can't decide which one I like better. I found a cup with a cthuhu design on it and it kinda looks like davy jones so i think it fits the pin perfectly and other is jack's compass.
which one do you like better?
[quoted image][quoted image]I'll paint them after deciding.[quoted image][quoted image]

Clearly I need to buy a resin printer...

#14153 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Last week Keith was saying that they are working on changing even more character traits to balance things out. The beta testers have only seen "some" of the coming changes they are working on / tweaking. It's a good thing to hear that they are working on more changes/polish.

Arrrgh Keith stop updating things, it’s slowing down the release ! Lol

#14177 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

harryhoudini and other pinball modders, I think this could be one hell of an amazing Pirates mod but I don't have the programming knowledge to pull it off. If someone can pull this maybe just sell me one of the mods at cost for the idea lol
I think that most of us Pirates owners would like to hear audio clips of the actors from the movies in the game. From what I've read there's no way to add this to existing code or add it using something like Pinball Browser for Stern games. However, maybe there is a way. What if a device running on Raspberry Pie could recognize specific sounds in the game and when heard play back a piece of audio? For example one of the chapters in the game is called "Wedding Day". When that sound is played the mod would detect it and play back a piece of audio from the film for that scene. A timer in the programming could then trigger for say 60 seconds (or time given to complete chapter mode) that recognizes additional sounds such as the individual character collect sounds and then plays back audio for that character from the scene. When the timer ends the mod knows that a specific chapter has ended or is completed.
This concept could even be taken further by using it for multiballs and wizard modes as there are specific callouts for those modes in the game. Really any audio could be played back based on what the mod detects. There's Gibbs callouts for each character when they are selected at game start. The mod could hear the character selected callout and then playback a piece of audio of the character from the films.
One time consuming part of this mod would be recording all the chapter start and character collect sounds. Then audio from the movies would need to be ripped out. There may be a gray area with licensing at that point but worse case individuals could always add the sounds themselves.
Something like this would probably be needed to tie inputs from the game and mod together so that both sources could play on the games factory speakers. Outputting the mod to its own mini speaker or something probably wouldn't sound as well.
amazon.com link »

Great idea! Unfortunately almost impossible due to the unpredictability of the sounds coming out of the game. No software currently exists that can separate music/SFX/speech to separate elements, And process them quickly enough to trigger what you’re suggesting.

An alternative, which is largely in place on WPC machines, is to read the trigger inputs and figure out what is occurring on the game, which simultaneously would play a sound in the way you’re suggesting.

IMO it would be less time consuming and more effective to work on implementing the crack to the encryption dongle, which would let us add additional elements.

#14214 4 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Doesn't happen on my game and mine are set to factory.
On another note, I'm not an aftermarket topper guy...unless harry comes up with something because I know it will look like it belongs in the game in the first place...but I picked this up at Goodwill for $5. It's brand new and I am going to put it together and see what it looks like. It looks really detailed for what it is. Also, looking it up online, apparently there is a version of it that comes with LED lighting you can put in it and it looks great lit up.[quoted image]

Damn. That is pretty cool!!

#14216 4 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

It is pretty crazy looking. Dimensions show it as 2ft tall, so it may be a little big, but I was going to put it together anyway for fun so we'll see if it would look decent on the game when I'm done.
amazon.com link »[quoted image]

Crap, I have been half-ass looking for this type of thing for a while. Well done! My ceiling height won’t support a 2 foot topper (!!) but I’d love to see the results

#14225 4 years ago

Does anyone have the disc silencer from the mod couple? I was wondering if it worked well and if it is easy to install. Thanks in advance

It’s not terribly hard, but it isn’t like just sticking a plastic toy on the playfield, if you know what I mean. You do have to remove the mech

It works ok, but calling it a “silencer” is a bit much. The disc still makes noise, but it’s certainly an improvement

1 week later
#14325 4 years ago

I did the black mirrors on mine too. They look great! I wish I would have put them on some of my other pins

I have a set of uninstalled black mirrors that I was going to install in mine, but the regular mirrors it came with also look so good, I left them in!

#14333 4 years ago
Quoted from ViperJelly:

For the people that used side mirrors, will the B/W mirrors fit or do I need to buy JJP specific? Seems like B/W fit the other JJP machines.

This is correct, B/W Mirrors do fit WOZ, TH, DI and (I think) Wonka. Maybe POTC is different in this regard

#14355 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Little late to the game on this but just really seeing the chest mod in action for the first time (as it was installed on the potc on recently got) and it's prob one of my favorite mods for a game ever.
It literally transforms how much fun and exciting that chest lock shot is. Totally revamps it bc the game already has the sounds of it opening and closing and there is something so visually appealing seeing it closed then open then close. Simple but so damn effective. Highly recommended

welcome to the party!

#14362 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I bet JJP is waiting to announce / release the code at TPF at this point. JJP has been pretty quiet in regards to big code releases over the past 6 months. They have incredibly talented staff with Keith, Ted, and Joe on the programming team. Perhaps all or most of them are working on GNR code at the moment?

Another month.. I hope you’re right!

#14366 4 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

I wouldn’t hold my breath. I see there being an update but it having nothing to do with what we are waiting for. Update will be something along the lines of we can now wirelessly do updates $50 bucks plz. And Bluetooth audio $50 bucks plz. I would be surprised if anything about the final wizard mode or character changes are there.

The wifi code that was beta tested did include the character changeS and some other stuff. Not sure about the wizard mode.

#14380 4 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

This is why a distributor is a great ally Working with joe pinballstar they always respond quickly. Very much appreciated.

Excellent point.

#14384 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Have to agree thats the Key. Many post "My distributor was very helpful" or "My distributor told me to call someone else". It would be very helpful to actually Name said distributors good or bad as they are Not all created equal! Many Really step up Far beyond the call of duty in so many ways but are often lumped in with the bunch assuming they are all equal. Not often the case. They really do deserve the repeat and referral business as earned or in some cases not earned.

Absolutely agree. I've even been told "such and such distributor is great!" and then when I tried to do business with them, they aren't responsive, and I end up going with someone else. The really good ones deserve repeat business. Joe Newhart (pinballSTAR) is one that I think should be commended in particular for all he does for the local shows around here.

#14402 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

Lloyd, I’m not questioning the value of distributors overall, just that you shouldn’t have to leverage them to get decent general tech and parts support from JJP.
There have been numerous, ongoing complaints about parts and tech service support in this and other posts for some time - including many about not even getting a response after multiple attempts. I personally gave up on two separate issues after many calls and failure of JJP to follow-up as promised. And all of my interactions were courteous and professional. They are obviously resolving many issues but that doesn’t offset the negative experiences. I hope they are making the necessary changes, but haven’t seen any real indications yet.

Direct-customer service isn't the only way businesses work. In fact, MOST businesses would prefer not to deal with the customer directly. They are not properly informed, waste a lot of time, and make unreasonable demands. Take the building industry for example. All the really good quality materials and products are not sold to the public. The public gets 'safe' products which meet regulations - but which don't last. Anything you buy at Home Depot for example, costs more and works less well due to this situation. Same with distributors and JJP. There are only so many workers and hours in the day.

#14408 4 years ago

I think you guys are looking at things in too much a black or white situation. I don’t know what the deal is with JJP right now, and they have never been the top stars at fast customer support - but if distributors are supposed to be part of the equation, they should be doing some of the legwork to their customers. Maybe JJP has changed that model, or told the distros to contact them ? I don’t know, but both avenues seem to be on the table. My point about distributors was that if they are positioned right, they should be taking some of the heat off JJP’s direct support, which is especially needed during this big move to Illinois they are doing.

#14411 4 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

a lot of distributors do. I tell ALL of my customers to call/email me before reaching out to JJP. Do they all listen? no...

ha! Fair point

#14458 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yeah code!!!! Still hearing that Pirates is done.
Kaneda is criticizing JJP for working on Pirates code since it's done and says they should be working on Wonka code instead. He doesn't understand that Pirates code is not complete and that the owners that paid $8500 - $12,500 deserve to have the code completed and polished at the same level as JJP's past games.
Stern did this with Ghostbusters code even though that game was done and I'm glad to see JJP following through with Pirates code as its actions like these that bring back customers. JJP properly completing Hobbit code (and then some, amazing code) helped sway me to buy Pirates.
Sounds like it will be a huge update! Can't wait

Sounds like typical K logic to me. Hype for hype’s sake. Logic be damned!

#14462 4 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Read in a prior post that Johnny Depp (or maybe Disney) wanted 500k per movie for his voice assets.

Depp’s agent. I guarantee Johnny Depp didn’t even know there was a pinball machine being made.

Still, there are other actors who could have their voices used. I think all the Gibbs callouts were specially recorded for the game, right?

I do wish JJP would allow some way to update the game with other assets. The crypto dongle
That is used on their games has been cracked for years now, but you still have to reverse engineer how the assets are called.

#14474 4 years ago
Quoted from dts:

I agree it's amazing. I'm loving having another, such a great game. My comment was more along the lines of I'm surprised nobody has hacked into the code and added video, such as flynnsbit has done with his LCD screen conversion of Tron. JJPOTC is a pinball masterpiece.

its a huge pain in the ass. The hard drive is encrypted with the USB dongle that's on each game, and I think it checksums the assets before booting (not 100% sure if it does that). So the dongle has to be decrypted (which is available, but each owner would have to do it) and the new assets loaded in in place of existing ones. A couple weeks of work at least. And no new triggers could be added, just enhancements to the existing video/audio. Then I think there's some mild concern about JJP getting in trouble with Disney about not protecting their assets, which is part of the deal. I think Disney has a hell of a lot more to worry about right now, but it could eventually come up. Doing these games is neither as easy nor as rewarding as hacking a WPC or Spike game. Plus this game doesn't need it!

#14496 4 years ago

Damn. Thought there was actually some news, instead of Pinsider navel gazing. If people want to sell at $12K or whatever price.. they can. No conspiracy theory.

#14504 4 years ago

Endeavor mod here too. Finally saw a video. As awesome as Lior’s other mods

Now JJP Where’s the code?!?

#14519 4 years ago

Well... I think the master JJP plan has worked. I would actually maybe pay for a code update at this point!! Come on dudes!!

#14521 4 years ago

Let’s not put any ideas into someone’s greedy mind

Ok ok good point ...

#14537 4 years ago
Quoted from MarZ_78:

My machine is currently a little more than 6.5 and can continuously backhand the right ramp. Interesting that some machines have issues doing that. Just curious... Flipper rubbers clean? what is the flipper coil strength at? level left to right? My right flipper coil setting is default (25).

Wow, I can’t backhand it either, and my stuff is all stock as well. how perfect does the shot need to be ?

#14574 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I might change to 5 ball games once the code update with the final wizard comes through. My wife and I are in the mediocre club.

The game is hard! It’s fast as TZ and way more complex. Also, a keeper!

#14596 4 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

Me and my big mouth! I will say I threw a ton of time at the development and prototyping around the time the playfield clear problems emerged, kinda as an escape from the drama. I hired an artist(she worked for cheap)and spoke with some vendors about an initial run of 50 or so units. Then I got nervous there’s so few pirates that it may not be feasible. I could just sell the game (not that I would) an make a nice profit or go all in on this and maybe loose money. I was thinking about pricing it around $250ish which in this hobby is kinda the going rate for a premier mod, which this definitely is! Heck the chest mod is amazing and factory - this mod could have been in the game also! That might of netted around $100 each, but allot more time putting everything together, and support, and things never go as planned, and on and on. I also kicked around offering it to a pro modder to run with and take a royalty, or just put up the teaser video knowing it was my idea. I think a few brave souls here could/would do the mod on their own after seeing it, but offering it as a complete kit with easy instructions, where you’ve upgraded your game on a Saturday seems so much more appealing. Hell maybe it’s actually dumb and I’m just bias. Sorry no spilled beans yet... maybe some day.

Huh? So what’s the idea?

#14599 4 years ago

Syphilis scab pop bumper Topper

I'm in!!!

#14601 4 years ago

No updates yet.. but - I made a thing!

235E4AD6-5DB3-415E-956C-21E62E407291 (resized).jpeg235E4AD6-5DB3-415E-956C-21E62E407291 (resized).jpeg
#14620 4 years ago

Sigh... so conflicted. Really glad to have this game, but definitely feeling like mod makers are keeping it alive. But it’s still really fun to play! Hey it would be great to see it finished. Let’s not WOF this game please...

#14677 3 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

The CE finally got 15 reviews. That's the one that is up top. There have been a handful of JJP haters that low balled their rating of it (and probably never played it) so it will not be #1 next Monday.
It's my favorite pin currently.

My current favorite is EHOH, which is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than expected. Relatively simple, fun, semi-short games. Lots of mechs for a Stern. Pirates is right next to it, and it always astonishes me how much is in there. ("oh man, I forgot about that mode...")

#14688 3 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

I’ve put about 20 games on a JP2 premium, and it also hasn’t wowed me. Shots and rules are very good but haven’t been impressed with everything else. Will eventually pick one up because it’s a tough, deep game, but it’s a notch down vs. exceptional games like IMDN and POTC IMO. My guess is that there will be numerous used JP2’s for sale in several months as new, popular themes come out since it requires pretty strong skills to truly appreciate.

I think you may be right about JP2 needing skills to appreciate - I mean maybe. I don’t have those skills, but I have a good friend who SWEARS by this game. And I believe him - some games need to be played at home. A lot.

In other news, tonight I had one of those games where everything came together. Got a multiball right at the last minute.. saved the game and I ended up with 1.5 million. Not an amazing score but the thrill of getting there.. wow

#14717 3 years ago
Quoted from JamCat:

Here is my Norrington game tonight. Finished all 25 chapters and 3 wizard modes. Went through the last two balls unable to start either of the last 2 wizard modes. First one hit the sling and jumped over everything into the outlane and then I bricked the shots at least 10 times each until the “I” lane got me on the last one and I had no tilt warnings left [quoted image]

good lord! How long was that game!?

#14744 3 years ago

So.. I’m beginning to wonder if my apron guard is set up correctly?!?!? Actual situation from an air ball..
24ED2C44-674D-49A7-A43E-10CCDF868955 (resized).jpeg24ED2C44-674D-49A7-A43E-10CCDF868955 (resized).jpeg

#14746 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

See the chrome wire guard the ball is touching. It goes around the front of the apron. Loosen the screws holding it to the apron, pull it up as high as it goes, then retighten the screws.

You are correct Lloyd

1 week later
#14802 3 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

I never quite figured out how to make Shot X useful. Something I need to learn.

Someone explained it a few (10) pages back - you light the lanes and then you hit the pirate shot, then aim for the 2x 3x 4x 5x targets on the playfield. Whichever one you hit is what you are awarded. I think?

#14819 3 years ago
Quoted from bgwilly31:

Shot X is very situational.
Chapter shots can be valuable. Jackbots Super Jackbots.
But when in doubt your compass is your best bet. Compass points to most valuable shot.

What compass? The one on the apron? I dont' think I've ever looked at that in a game!

#14827 3 years ago
Quoted from jrawlinson_2000:

Hate to sound like a bore, but 'hey JJP where is the pirates code update'?
Would have been ideal for us all now....

Eric mentioned in his interview on TWIP that he’s working on something super secret, and BRAGGED that his games update via WiFi! Come on dude!

#14835 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I had that happen recently too. I figure it occurred from me raising the playfield more than playing it, the ship getting jostled in those turbulent waters and such.

This happens to me ALL the time. You can have a lot of games and not sink the ship. Nothing to worry about as long as when you DO fire the cannon, it blows it up as expected. This game is frickin awesome.

#14838 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I'm no longer in the club since I sold my game (still a fan of it!) but just heard on Kaneda's latest show that JJP let Butch Peel go?! That doesn't seem to make any sense. Butch seemed like a huge asset to JJP and helped to create the best pinball manuals in the business. He also went above and beyond all the time with tech support. I remember meeting Butch at a Michigan Pinball Expo held maybe 6 years back and he was extremely nice and knowledgeable.

Did it have something to do with the move? Where does Butch reside?

#14840 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yeah, the right offer came around and have been exploring other games. I bought the first 4 JJP games NIB but due to their cost and lack of space I can't keep buying every title lol (wish I could!).

Based on what Kaneda said it wasn't Butch's decision and was a total shock to him. I'm not sure who could do a better job then Butch with JJP manuals.

Well that sucks, especially when it comes out of the blue, and especially ESPECIALLY when it’s someone who’s doing a great job.

#14853 3 years ago
Quoted from jarozi:

Actually had a ball make it to the top of the apron. That one was a PITA to clear, as you pulled the glass down, the ball rolled down further binding the glass from sliding out. Fun fun. I raised the apron rail a bit, hopefully that prevents it in the future.

That happened to me about a week ago. Crazy!

#14877 3 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

**** Liars Dice Info from Keefer **** (Make this a key post please)
IE Pinball asked: "How does POTC decide what to wager for in Liar's Dice? "
pinball_keefer: Great question! This is going to take some explaining. How @potcpinball chooses what you'll risk in Liar's Dice:
* Everything possible thing you can risk is assigned a weight. The 2 items with the highest weight are selected as your possible wagers.
* Weights are assigned as follows:
1. 50% score: If no wins yet, weight = 50. If 1 win, weight = 20. Otherwise, weight = 0.
2. 75% score: If 1 win, weight = 50. Otherwise, weight = 25.
3. 100% score: If wins > 1, weight = 50. Otherwise, weight = 0.
4. 100% gold: If you are at least 50% of the way to Tortuga, weight = gold / target * 100 (so 50% to Tortuga is weight 50 and goes up from there). If <50%, weight = 0.
5. Treasures work the same way as gold. If 50% of treasures, then weight = treasures / 12 (max * 100. If treasures < 6, weight = 0.
6. Souls: If souls > 1 (simply to avoid dealing with pluralization, lol), weight = souls * 3.
7. Tilt warnings: If current warnings >= 1, weight = 40. If warnings < 1, weight = 90.
(I just realized the previous entry was more specifically 1 tilt warning, sorry.)
8. 2 tilt warnings: If current warnings is 2, weight = 90. If 1 warning, weight = 65. If < 1 warning, weight = 40. Otherwise (already > 2), weight = 0.
9. Extra ball: If Liar's Dice has been one at least once AND you haven't won an extra ball from it, weight = 100. Otherwise, weight = 0.
10. Your soul: If you've already won exactly 1 extra ball from Liar's Dice, then weight = 100. Otherwise, weight = 0.
And that's all there is.
[If I find out specifically what the correction for #7 is, I will correct that. I don't want to mis-quote Keith. Interesting on how they come up with these things]

Ok. Holy. Crap.

I am dying for an update here, but just THIS shows how much is left to be discovered in this game

#14879 3 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Playing tonight...sound would intermittently go out for a few seconds then come back. Think I also noticed lights on the rocking ship went out for a moment too.

There’s a 2-conductor power cable on the ship that can work its way loose and cause flickers or it to eventually go out entirely. Mine did that for a while before I finally found the connector

#14881 3 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

That only happened once. Now the sound is going out a lot more. Is there a connection somewhere I should check?

That didn’t happen to me - but the sound is connected with a variety of plugs and such - one may just have wiggled loose. Open the backbox and check the audio cables are plugged in snug

#14899 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Pirates fans, designer Eric Meunier is streaming his POTC CE #1 tonight at 8:30 CST!
Be there or be [ ][quoted image]

Awesome! Can we get him to light a fire under Keith for the update? (Kidding, I know he’s got a lot going on). Interesting he confirmed on the Buffalo Pinball interview that he would not release the update until the final Wizard is in there.

I was a little surprised about his mini rant about people wanting the update “just for a Wizard mode most wont even get to”. I doubt I’ll make it to that final mode, but I know there’s other stuff being updated. I wouldn’t mind some damn attract mode
Music, for example. Or some more licensed content integrated. The game is amazing. There is no question. But I’m actually starting to think that Lyman’s EHOH is giving it a run for its money.

#14904 3 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Or some shaker motor action when you sink the Dauntless!
Surprising that this has been neglected given Keith is such a big shaker motor fan.

LOL caught that too

#14913 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

That looks great...well done!

Accidentally printed it with 100% infill (solid block of plastic), so it is REALLY sturdy

#14917 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

What ground loop isolator seems to work best at eliminating the hiss/whine/buzz sound that is non stop during game play?
Easy install?

I believe POTC already includes one. Try *removing* it - it's usually at the back of the cabinet.

#14929 3 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Nicely done. Guess I should have been clearer ... someone commercially needs to do this so poor saps like me can buy one since I don't have a 3D printer.

Aaah.. touche’!!

That was the last good print I got out of our printer. I think it was a 9 hour print but it does look quite good - made me learn about paint foundations and “wash” paints

#14952 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

That’s how I have set up all my games new and old. True and parallel to the lane is a proper neutral. Jacking them to make shots or back hands possible doesn’t seem correct for me by design.

I remember reading on here that some manufacturers expect the flipper to point at the alignment dot, some expect the toothpick approach (rubber off, stick a toothpick in the hole). AP the flippers droop just a tiny bit

#14967 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I’m probably the wrong guy to ask as I am a D player at best. Basically a keep the ball in the air at all cost player. With that said most games are not designed to be easy or predictable. It’s a game of chance where skill and (rousting) can sway the odds in your favor. My wife and I talk about this often. These games (all of them) were designed to Make Money not be fair. A skilled player can control many of those design shots but most just keep feeding quarters lol. Watching many POTC streams from JJP (Eric) yes the ball comes in hot from the depths as it has a Long Ejected travel toward the flipper. Most times even a skilled player (including the designer) had to do a flip pass to the other flipper to slow it down unlike most games. I suspect that’s the way he designed it and another reason this game (to me) is so special. It is Far from predictable and Amazing when you find your personal groove. That’s why I personally (me) don’t tune the game for convenience as more then likely something else will be sacrificed. My long view.... lol

Great take on this. I respectfully disagree. Seeing Keith’s long form interview on Buffalo Pinball (“Bro, do You even talk...”), my take on it was that Keith is hung up on the game being HARD and maybe even impossible for the average player. He was unable to process why the fan base (the fan base!!!!!!!) was so interested in an update to the game. That they knew was happening. That the ideas / plans for were leaked __ONE YEAR__ ago.

His rationalization for the delay was (Paraphrasing here) that “most players won’t get to the final Wizard mode anyway”. Ok. Unless they make this incredibly long, detailed game... that they paid money for ... easier. How that should garner rancor from the designer, I don’t understand. That was judged as a cheat. Witness the rationalization about tilts per game (“well... you just saved a ball there so why would I give you another ball?”)

I’m not sure if this all computes but the overall feeling I got from that interview was an attitude of superiority that I just couldnt process. When asked if he could himself
Get to all these impossible modes himself, he gave this qualified “well, I COULD, but not necessarily after it was programmed into the game”. Uh huh.

Look, I think Keith has done more for the programming of rules for these games than almost anyone (gotta include Lyman Sheats), and maybe he was having a bad day, but that was some serious unwarranted attitude IMO. The game is already awesome, yes. But we paid for a full game. I’m finally over this: It doesn’t matter how exactly we experience it all; if it was sold with the intention of a final Wizard mode, it should have it. That kind of (unsanctioned, I’m sure) BS rationalization of why it’s not complete is just man-child excuses. It’s been ONE. YEAR. SINCE THE RULE update. And 6 months since the damn wifi update! For Christ sakes.

#14974 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Ok. I was simply saying I was a poor player that doesn’t do post passes but I guess I understand your frustration on wanting a wizard mode. I must have missed Keith’s dialogue that upset you?

It was on the "Bro Do you even talk pinball" podcast, last week I think.

That post comes off a little more fired up than i meant it, but the tone of how he answered the question really got underneath my skin. He had just answered a question about how people set their games up easy, and sort of mocking that (sometimes it's the only way a player can see half the game), and then the question about finishing the
Code, he said "well most
People won't see the final mode anyway so why do they care?" But as was pointed out, there are still bugs and features missing (ball search). He has a lot goomg on, no doubt, but in the interview he came off as smug and sort of "you'll get it when I'm ready", and emphasized that there wouldn't be an update before the final mode is in there. But I don't get why there can't be an interim update to address the other things.

#14979 3 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

... as mentioned, there's a lot more to update than just the final wizard mode.

...But to just decide they won't do an interim update for other items that might/should be ready to go because they've chosen for some reason to not update anything until the final wizard mode is done would be pretty weak and pretty far from customer friendly.

I am definitely not trying to put words in his mouth - but this is definitely how I interpreted it. I'll give him a break because I know he's had health issues, and if he's as on edge as I am due to our lockdown, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that this isn't what he meant - but it did come off to me that way.

#14986 3 years ago
Quoted from Wanderers:

Hi iv got both my sound settings set on yes in attract mode, but don’t have any music. Is there anything elts I should be doing or is there no music in attract mode?

Yet ANOTHER missing (minor) thing in the game. Only the JJP logo has attract music. At least it's got some i guess - My Elvira HOH has nothing at all!

#14988 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I have turned the attract mode on my Hobbit to on and I think it just does the music for the JJP logo only. Though I am not certain.

Hobbit has a really lush theme it plays in attract mode. It's a great soundtrack, and does not come on all the time, but it's definitely there, and very prominent. You may have to turn it on in the menu, I dont' remember.

1 month later
#15168 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

That would be cool!
All I really need is the ride song for attract mode and I’ll be thrilled.

Or even just ANY MUSIC in attract mode. The Hobbit has some amazing music in a/m. Pirates deserves better

1 week later
#15227 3 years ago

It’s pretty rare on mine too

I've seen it exactly once. And that high score is no longer valid, so it's gone. I think it has to do with the amount of light on your face - it needs to be pretty contrasted with the background. which is obviously rare since most of our game rooms are dark.

#15240 3 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

Can anyone recommend a replacement LCD for the apron LCD? Mine has turned monochrome for some odd reason so I assume the screen is bad.

Might just be a connector issue. IT can work itself out, you might check under the apron and the connection to the CPU

#15244 3 years ago

Monthly check for an update. For god’s sakes guys at LEAST fix the ball search!! Now it’s getting embarrassing. Josh is working on Houdini and Lyman has -actually, literally- put out 7 updates since Elvira came out.

#15250 3 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Unfortunately this was pretty easy to see coming a long time ago. The software team doesn't seem to care about it and the designer doesn't seem to care that the software team doesn't care about it. On Eric's stream of POTC a few weeks ago he mentioned the software team will put out a code update when the final wizard mode is done. He didn't seem to have any thought at all that there are plenty of other things to update and fix besides the final wizard mode. The entire JJP organization seems pretty content with keeping POTC in their rearview mirror. The beta they put out a few months ago seems like it mostly just had some stuff they originally said they were thinking about and working on in April 2019. So to me that didn't really seem encouraging. If an update release had really been coming soon then I'd think the beta would have had a lot more to it than just the stuff they hadn't finished from a year ago. Now I don't think it looks like a very good chance the next POTC update will happen by November, which will be 2 years from original shipping of the machines and about 17 months from the last update. I think my post below from 7 months ago seems pretty accurate:

They are probably all pretty beaten down by the whole thing. Eric’s first game out of the gate, and it’s clear there was a huge amount of work put into it, Keith did an outstanding job planning the code, it’s fairly complete as-is. they really must have felt it hard when the decision was made to cut bait. I get it!

But working “in between” other stuff, as was pointed out, is not a recipe for an outstanding outcome. I’m a software developer as well - and I know Keith takes a lot of pride in his code, so there’s a greater-than-normal chance it will hold up. And yeah maybe this is all we get. I won’t lie and say it’s not disappointing though. But I sure will be grateful to finally see that update.

#15252 3 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

And still no communication here from JJP while every other company seems to care about engaging their customers on Pinside. Spooky is active posting for Rick and Morty. Scott Danesi has remained active posting for TNA. AP is active and posting about Oktoberfest (their previous title) and Hot Wheels. Keith Elwin posted about Jurassic Park and Dwight Sullivan has been posting about TMNT. Meanwhile JJP seems be happy staying on mute except to give interviews saying they're working on other stuff.

And Lyman's been on talking about EHOH quite a bit (and posting crazy updates for that game almost every 3 weeks!). I'm sure everybody at JJP is helping with the move, I bet they're busy as hell with that.

#15255 3 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Yep and it goes back to my original point. When the updates stop flowing, communication stops, and the game is no longer in production then it's time to be a bit concerned about when another update will happen because other things start taking priority for their business. I think that situation started becoming apparent last fall.

Yep. My last strand of hope is how Stern eventually went back to KISS what... 2 years later? Finally made that a halfway worthwhile game

#15273 3 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

You can save up for tortuga multiball then start a wizard mode. With a simple shot to tortuga you now have multiball during a wizard mode. Was stated to be a bug well over a year ago still not fixed. No presets so that people with less skill can play on easy while better players can play on hard. (not a bug but dam close) almost impossible to get super jackpot for OST. Forks not going up when qualifying a lock (I have seen virtual lock work when this happens but very rarely). Inner loop not registering which if memory serves keith stated they were trying to fix with code that it was not a hardware problem. Im sure there are plenty other little things. I wwould agree characters are technically complete but personally would love to see more things to make them fun. Some fun stuff the beta people are playing with I guess. I maintain my view of noone would be complaining if they opened up beta code to everyone. Maybe not on a new machine but if your making your customers wait on a out of production machine until you feel like doing it because you have better things to do at least let owners have some fun along the way. With what keith said a few weeks ago I would be surprised if we see anything within the next year. Which frankly I dont quite understand because keith said he was already in chicago before the move and everywhere was on lockdown. Not sure what he was doing for those 2-3 months

This. Plus the ball search never actually kicking out a ball when it doesn’t find one in multiple searches. Plus the fact that Keith touted rule changes for characters that were already done- months - maybe even a year? ago. Plus the beta test code that has ALREADY been released to beta testers 2 1/2 months ago.

#15296 3 years ago
Quoted from dgposter:

I have lost all lights on the rocking ship (rest of the game is fine). What's the most likely culprit; fuse or plug? I looked under the playfield but didn't notice anything obvious.

There is a 2-connector wire; I think the wires are light blue. You’ll have to remove the ship to get to it, but it’s an easy and obvious fix. Put some tape or a dot of glue to keep it from happening again

1 week later
#15327 3 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

Hopefully additional callouts and other surprises would be Great plus the Wizard Mode

My son is learning the "He's a pirate" (the POTC main theme) on piano, and he plays it (pretty damn well, I must say) ALL the time. It occurred to me the other day that that song is not in the game! Or at least not in any noticeable place. Maybe it's time to get back to working out how to add assets to the game. I love this game quite a lot but I certainly would like to customize it like with Sterns and WPCs via PinBrowser/Pinsound

#15338 3 years ago
Quoted from Zora:

Interesting, seems to be that nowbody knows the sense of the blue arrows.

Maybe it's in the next code update?? oh... yeah... that's right...

#15341 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

OMG! I had the problem where the ball hops over the rail and onto the apron last night. What a PITA! If you try to slide the glass down the ball just gets tighter and tighter. I finally got it pushed back into the shooter lane with a large piece of thin cardboard. I since have raised the rail on the apron as high as it will go. I hope that prevents this from happening again. I hope you never have this happen. It's a real stress inducer.

That sucks! But that's generally what you have to do. LTG told me

1 week later
#15348 3 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

This will be my last night in the club. It has been a blast. I was lucky to have a game with no real issues. I've played the heck out of it and time to move on. Good luck!

Can't wait to see your next post saying "I've made a huge mistake!"

#15354 3 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

I like it. I haven't seen the movies so I have no idea if there are any mermaids, but then the game is so loosely tied to POTC, who cares!?

One of them had a mermaid as part of the plot, if I recall correctly. Not sure which movie

2 weeks later
#15429 3 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

The flippers on my Hobbit seem to get weaker during some consecutive intense multiballs. I bought these mini RC motor fans to see if I can adapt them to the flipper coils. I thought that it was worth a try. TBD when I get some time to tinker with it.
[quoted image]

Kinda weird, since LOTR had the same issue

#15430 3 years ago

Any news on code updates? Starting to think about moving this game out. It's so fun, but I am having a hard time getting over how they've just abandoned it.

#15446 3 years ago

Tried to ignore the "Bluetooth is easy" thing, but...

Hardware integration is a pain in the butt. It is WAY different from programming software. Plus, JJP has to pick a hardware module to use, then plan for integration and then buy 100,000 of them for installation. If they pick one that hasnt been tested
Thoroughly, or
Is constrained/missing certain features, they are screwed.

Bluetooth has about 10 different possible implementations, 6 versions in the stack, not including Bluetooth LowE, the stupid new Apple high speed implementation, and a confusing backchain update to Bluetooth Classic.

We dont know what JJP is doing with BT, is it for audio? For data updates? They are likely building on the implementation started with DI, which as a previous owner, I can tell you was super fun, but not really
Playable - more a curiosity than anything. And it probably was just an exercise for the team they just decided to release for kicks.

That said, the biggest hurdle the team likely faces is that they are integrating into a huge pile of existing code which was never intended to integrate this way. Plus as Lloyd said, if Keith is working on 5 (really?!) games at the moment, it's damn hard to get stuff done,
You're always switching gears.

Still, Multimorphic added Bluetooth -AUDIO- to the P3 (I dont believe it does data Transfer which is a whole other ball of wax). I'm getting one of those later this year so I'll find out more.

I don't doubt Keith is working hard on these games, and he HAS said the game will have one more
final update - to include the final wizard mode, character changes and Bluetooth, hopefully some other surprises.

But all This is conspiring against POTC ever really being finished. I heard Keith's comments on Buffalo Pinball, and it sure didn't sound positive to me. He basically said "it'll get done when I have time someday, and you Shouldn't worry about it since
Most people Can't get to The end of the game anyway". Ok...

If it was the only game he's working on, it would have been done long ago, but the longer it takes, the more likely this "final" release date becomes a vanishing point.

Now here's a thing: I've had my game packed up for 3 months now, haven't played it in forever. Once I crank it open maybe I'll feel differently, it's a pretty awesome set of code.

#15453 3 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

A chance to explain why im wrong but revert to an "insult". Not sure if I can trust a guy whom scammed a free playfield after telling everyone there was nothing to complain about then proceeded to sell his machine

Thanks for attempting to explain. I still have a hard time believing that integrating bluetooth is that difficult. From what we know bluetooth is just for audio and wifi is for updates. maybe they are doing other things with the bluetooth that we do not know. I could see integrating other stuff into the bluetooth possibly being difficult but audio alone is a hard sell.

No the huge led in between the flippers thats says break the curse and the manual for the machine did that for me.
*edit its not a led it just says break the curse by flippers

Trying not to be a d-bag - I get the thinking that it should be easy - it should! But from experience: the reality is that integrating something like that after the fact (After tons of code is developed) is messy. I -do- kinda wonder what is taking so long at this point now, since they did beta testing like 6 months ago. There’s also the WiFi integration for updates IIRC.

I built a lightsaber for
My son last year, and integrated Bluetooth so it could connect to my phone so I could load sounds, different light shows, etc. The software was already there, but you had to connect with a micro USB cable, it didn’t yet support Bluetooth. WELL, that took me 2 months to figure out. Major PITA. But it does work now..

#15456 3 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

I bet that was a fun project

It was! That thing is awesome now. You can change the blade to 5 or 6 colors, “scrape” it against the floor like Vader does in ROTS, make “clash” sounds like when you hold 2 together, it responds when you swing it around with the hum, flashes and plays a noise when you strike it on something... plays music, and you can hold own of the buttons and rotate the blade to change to different hues of whatever color you’re on. And there’s a “broken lightsaber” (like Kylo Ren) mode. Came out pretty dang good.

#15462 3 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

Anyone hear anything on the new CODE?

LOL

#15468 3 years ago
Quoted from HornerSyndrome:

So I attempted my first “mod” to replace the Tortuga Tom with a jack sparrow with better detail. Took awhile to make the fit just right but I think it turned out pretty good for a first effort. Now I just need to follow suit and change to the black skirts and black bodies like tuna_delight. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wow! That looks quite great, well done

#15480 3 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I had my best game today and completed all Multiballs but still didn’t reach wizard mode how many movie chapters do u have to finish ? And do they need to be 100% to get wizard mode ?
[quoted image][quoted image]

You have to start 5 modes from that particular movie. You dont' need to finish them, but it will increase your score if you do. Pick Tia Dalma and focus on one movie at a time when you start modes

#15489 3 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Ok I probably have to review the rules but is there like an actual end to the game like I’ve heard there is for Jurassic park ?

Don't get me started. No there is not.

#15492 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

With your current high score of 800k I suspect you have about 5 more years till you find the end. I am JOKING!! No, final wizard mode is still in the creative imagination of Keith but for me anyway, that means he aims to make it truly special and unique which I am more then willing to wait for. This game isn't going anywhere so I have no rush to finish it.

Much more positive take on the situation.

#15498 3 years ago
Quoted from AlanJ:

Greetings folks from rainy UK. Typical summer weather here in England, rain! So noting to do outside in the rain, so I spent the last two days only playing my JJP POTC, still don't get the scoring or ruleset. I get the idea of chapters and have got to each of the wizzard modes, but never more than 2 in a single game. What am I missing? (Apart from skill).

The wizard modes are available once you start 5 chapters from
A particular movie. The chapters are made available by making key shots which correspond to each movie. Then they are started and
Chosen more or less at
Random (it's based on which target the ball hits last when its trapped in the mode start area). If you are Really careful you can get only one movie's
Chapters available and then shoot the star map to start the chapter.

If you pick Tia Dalma, you can choose which chapter to start by using the flippers. Once you have 5 started plus the multiball, the wizard mode becomes available

1 week later
#15520 3 years ago

Not in 1.0.he won't..

1.0... HAHAHAHAHA. That update is never coming

#15530 3 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

The number and timing of updates for the other JJP games compared to POTC is unreal. It's pretty clear that from the start JJP has treated this game differently from all their others. I looked at the change log files of JJP games for the number of updates and the dates of those updates. Here's what I saw:
From Oct. 2018 (POTC shipping) through December 2018 here are the number of updates per game:
Dialed In - 4
Hobbit - 5
POTC - 1
So, even when POTC was the shiny new game just launched at JJP (and had been promised to be feature complete at launch), other games were getting more updates.
Other JJP games have received a lot more attention over a longer period of time. Here are the total lifetime number of updates per game:
WOZ - close to 40 (about 35 pre-2019, 3 in 2019)
Hobbit - 22 (Pre-2018 - 13; 2018 - 8; 2019-1)
Wonka - 20 (2019 - 19; 2020 - 1)
Dialed In - 23 (Prior to Oct. 2018 - 17; After Oct. 2018 - 4; 2019 - 2)
POTC - 4 (2018 - 3; 2019 - 1)
Here are all the dates of the updates for each game:
POTC: 9/25/18 & 9/28/18 (Prior to Shipping); 12/15/18; 4/23/19
Hobbit: 11 updates before they started listing dates; 6/20/17; 12/15/17; 6/28/18; 7/6&7/10; 10/12/18; 10/18/18; 10/29/18; 11/2/18; 11/12/18;
WOZ: 30 updates before dates listed; 6/20/17; 12/12/17; 12/21/17; 3/20/19; 4/5/19; 8/12/19
Wonka: 2/18/19; 3/4/19; 7 updates in June '19; 7/10 & 7/19; 8/14/19; 8/22/19; 9/3/19; 10/7/19; 10/9/19; 10/31/19; 12/18/19; 1/28/20
Dialed In: 10 updates before dates listed; 3/17/17; 5/5/17; 6/1/17; 9/18/17; 10/11/17; 10/31/17; 11/30/17; 10/18/18; 11/2/18; 11/15/18; 12/12/18; 7/16/19; 9/25/19

Wow. As far as I’m concerned, This documents the exact issue. We’ve heard “oh yeah, beta testing...” and the frickin character sheet being promoted for months.. coming up on a year. And then even Keith fanning the flames with his judgmental podcast appearance. Just one more reason to be so disappointed. Maybe the best layout and playfield ever, Worst, lazy ass code updates.

#15532 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Sad that people don't get this part of it. There are so many unique, fun, and fast, rewarding shots in this game, and approachable from so many different flippers.

It's amazingly well thought out. The under-flipper hole, the ball save in the right out lane, the shots on the ship, the depths, the right hand "inner" outlane, the upper loop! There are so many shots.

That just pisses Me off even more that the update isn't coming.

#15536 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I get it, but the game was released with near final code, unlike the Hobbit.
I'm guessing things are just too clustered to really focus on this game, over at JJP.

Hobbit is part of the reason I bought this game. That was an unbelievable turnaround.
But it’s not like we don’t know there is -already- finished code just sitting around that’s been beta tested months ago.

#15538 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

No we don't. The beta code is working on the Wifi stuff to update games. And it isn't ready for release yet or they'd put it out.

I'm referring to reports from a couple of the beta testers. They indicated that there were character changes, changes to the light show, and some other enhancements, back in May or June, if I recall correctly. Additionally, Keith posted a photo of a document indicating specific changes he had planned, some of which were confirmed by the beta test.

#15540 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Yes, there are a couple tid bits in there to give the beta testers something for their help.

Hope it's ready soon!

#15561 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I guess I'm just lost at this point as to why almost day after day we get demands for POTC code on this forum.
Hopefully it will happen, but why would any substantial amount of coding occur for a game they do NOT need to sell??????
Dialed In, Wonka, and their next games need to sell. If POTC is done, code is nearly wrapped up. If they ever decide to make 300 more games....maybe code might be more robust. I don't even understand what needs added other than a final wizard mode, the tweaks already noted in the beta, and obviously wifi/bluetooth capability.
Once Spooky kicks to their next game, will Rick and Morty still get massive code updates? Why would another smaller run game, like POTC be any different?

I’m mainly hanging onto it because like I said earlier, we KNOW some updates are already completed and in a beta build. And it’s been YEAR and a HALF almost since the last update. And Keith’s appearance on the podcast was what, 3 months ago? Not the same I know, but i just don’t want things to end up like WOF

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
20,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Cañada Flintridge, CA
30,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Charlotte, NC
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Machine - For Sale
Vernon, BC
376 posts in this topic match your search for posts by rdoyle1978. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club?tu=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.