(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,885 posts
  • 633 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Buzzie
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pirates2 (resized).jpg
IMG_2296 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2297 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2298 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2299 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2301 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2300 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240330_165232 (resized).jpg
POTC_Mods_annotated (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 12.02.54 PM (resized).png
17117301082711484468150429261795 (resized).jpg
20240329_160033 (resized).jpg
431321214_1110342276953195_8816628931148154685_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #222 Liar's Dice rules explained! Posted by goren1818 (5 years ago)

Post #644 Rules flow chart Posted by Rbviessman (5 years ago)

Post #1021 How to fix black pearl lamps Posted by Yelobird (5 years ago)

Post #1360 Black Pearl flippers are uneven when in upper position - Fix Posted by evh347 (5 years ago)

Post #2468 Hardware fix for balls getting hung up during multiball. Posted by Pinballpal (5 years ago)

Post #2892 Adjustment for auto plunger not hitting balls cleanly or correctly Posted by Pinballpal (5 years ago)

Post #3974 Deadflip stream from Valentine’s Day 2019. Posted by Tuna_Delight (5 years ago)

Post #4014 POTC trouble shooting guide Posted by zaphX (5 years ago)

Post #4856 Possibly let distributor go through machine and get it tuned in. Posted by dgposter (5 years ago)

Post #6315 Fix for dauntless positioning, canon shots not landing Posted by Yelobird (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ptownpin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1255 5 years ago

Man I love JJP games, but their toppers blow! They do everything first class expect their toppers

10 months later
#12605 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Just as JJP expected and got full payment for this game, we all expect a full and complete game. It's not like we only paid 90% of the sales price.....Whether they are making more or not, that's besides the point.

well said....JJP has a great track record of not only finishing the code, but enhancing it....if they completely abandon a product then it really says a lot about the company...I've also heard rumors that they stopped stocking spare parts (not sure if this is true or not), which is clearly an issue. I'm hoping they make a statement about code this weekend.

#12607 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

If they stop stocking parts for this game and leave us hanging, that would also say a lot about them.

I've heard their out of several parts, but I haven't had the need so I can't confirm.

#12610 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Wonka is nowhere NEAR as polished as the existing jjPotC code, hence the need for more frequent updates. jjPotC doesn't need a whole lot, and I doubt most players have gotten anywhere near where the Wizard mode goes. Keith posted a picture of the updated pricing screen from the attract mode a while back and there's been little bits here and there, so the code is being worked on, it's just not a priority with Wonka needing the most attention (and currently shipping). Basically jjPotC code needs some bug fixes, more polish on the movie wizard modes (which are there, but not super-impressive), and the final wizard mode. What's already there is more than 99% of other machine's code and plenty impressive. This is not a Munsters situation.

That would be consistent with past history....I'd say in the past code development has been one of their big strengths...be nice to see something soon...I get JJP didn't make $ on this game, but its by far their best effort to date...

#12622 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

You can also download the manual as an iBook and get it printed at a bunch of places online. I saw a post someone did that not sure who, maybe HarryHoudini?

Thats a good idea....although I had WOZ, Hobbit, and DI manuals that I've looked at once One feature I love about JJP games is you can display the manual on the screen....

#12656 4 years ago

What Play field pitch do you guys have your POTC at?

#12661 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

I have mine at the second bubble. That’s what they recommend and I like that pitch.

thanks ... I looked in the manual and it said 6.5 degrees...I was having problems with the upper right VUK at 7.2 degrees....problem seems to have gone away at 6.5

#12698 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Anyone ever measured the pitch of the playfield both near the flippers and up by the chest? Last weekend I was playing with the PinGuy app on my iPhone and it was showing 6.5 by the flippers but over 7 (I think 7.2 or 7.3) up by the chest. So I did the same check on my Jurassic Park and the readings by the flippers and farther up the playfield were much more consistent with each other on that game. I thought it was odd to have such a different reading in two spots on #JJPOTC. I recalibrated the app and measured both games again and got the same results though.

Yep ...just did it on my POTC....6.6 at the flippers, 6.9 just above the disc, 7.1 at the chest.....

#12763 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

The foot wasn't the problem with mine. When I removed the nut from the (bent) post, the wire form twisted up even more. Bending the foot would just put even more stress on the post to bend it more (in my case at least). Twisting the wire form into shape (if possible without breaking the structure welds) would cause the wire form to interfere with the Tortuga scoop even more. I'm sure that it's "possible" to man handle the wire form enough to make it work, but what I was seeing is that the result would cause the ball to fall off of the wire form. It was a no win solution for me going that route. Even what I did with bending it at the BP connection is not ideal, but it works. It still is slightly bent at the bottom, but only I really notice it.

What I did (and advise you to do also just in case) is use the photo you have, take another one with the post attachment disconnected showing that it twists even more and that it is not the post connection that is causing it. A side by side photo showing the twisting comparison with and without it attached would be a good visual. Then take photos of the clearance or contact at the Tortuga scoop, and at the top pop bumper and BP connection. Send that to Steve at JJP and ask for advise on how to resolve the issue. If he suggests trying to man handle the wire form, go for it. But to keep the warranty valid in case you break it, have him direct you to do it first. Steve may just send you another wire form as a warranty issue if it is twisted as much as mine was. CC your distributor on all of the communication emails so that he can help to move things along if need be.

Did you ever resolve this issue? My ramp performs fine, but the basket end sits up about 30 degrees. I'm a little hesitant to twist. I did reach out to JJP and they told me the wire form is out of stock, and that its "normal", which isn't a satisfactory answer. I asked if it was ok to twist, but haven't gotten a response. I'm hesitant to do anything if they don't keep parts in stock.

#12766 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

I say leave it alone. If the game plays normally and JJP is out of stock, there is really no reason for you to risk it at this point. Wait till they are back in stock before you do anything.

Thanks....not exactly ideal, but I get it....sure would be nice if JJP stocked parts for this game....

#12785 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

that shot is HARD, too. It's not impossible, you just have to really hit it straight and not too hard. The ball pretty much has to be at a dead stop, cradled in the flipper, then just touch it off the tip. Takes some practice, but it's not impossible. It is harder than the Houdini inner loop shot, but I can nail that one over and over again at this point.

Its a brutal shot....one of the toughest in all my games....I've only done it like 3 times, and once was by accident

#12795 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

I'm considering taking the plunge on this game... generally, how is It? What are the positives and negatives in a nutshell? I've heard the code feels incomplete... would be very curious what the issue is there...
The game looks awesome! But does it play as good as it looks?
Thanks to all who can help me decide!

Plays better than it looks, and the code is deep and feels very complete although there are updates coming....good luck in finding one

#12802 4 years ago

Thanks again guys! I'd love to find one of these!

Good luck in your search...their not easy to come by even in the states.

#12815 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

Yes I agree. If I absolutely had to have it and didn’t have one yet I would probably pay that, but it’s ridiculous to be so greedy like that. That’s Capitalism for you. You can get almost always get something you want, you just might have to pay through the nose to get it. I still can’t for the life of me figure out why Jersey Jack stopped making arguably the best pinball machine ever made. I know they had line issues and they had some design problems, and they were behind schedule with Wonka, but they seem to have fixed all that and the pin once dialed in works great and is absolutely incredible. It is highly loved and well known, plus they’ve already put all their money into design and all they need to do is start up the line and make new parts. I can easily see them selling 5000 of these eventually. I think it’s a shame only 1000 are out in the world. I feel very lucky to have one. However that does virtually guarantee our resale value if we ever decide to sell. I can’t see me ever selling my POTC. It’s my flag ship pin.

I think its clearly evident that JJP didn't make any $ on POTC, which is why production stopped. The game is so loaded with features its not really a surprise. My theory is if JJP decided to make more they would be "special" versions and sell for much higher than the original LE's. Just like they did with WOZ YBR that they sold for almost $12K....with the stupid prices people are paying some of the Stern LE games I think the $13K isn't completely out of line.

#12817 4 years ago
Quoted from bbulkley:

I’ve been trying to buy the one in Melbourne, but I haven’t heard back in about a week. I hope everything is ok and he’s just busy.

Not sure if its the same guy, but a distributor from Australia reached out about a month ago about a POTCLE. I think he wanted $10.5 delivered (flown to the states), and it had to be converted back to the correct voltage. With all the play field issues I was just nervous it had pooling issues so I passed, and was lucky enough to find a great HUO one locally.

#12820 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

But profit margins almost always go up with greater sales. If they stuck to it, I can’t see how they don’t make a profit. And if thier price estimates were off, just raise the price $500.00. It’s definitely worth it even at that price. It doesn’t really matter to me I already have one in fact mine is only going to be worth more if they don’t make anymore. I just wish there were more out there for people to buy some so many people want one.

I agree that volume makes up for low margins, but in JJP case I highly doubt they have the cash reserves to front all the $ required to make thousands of these games. My guess is during a slow period they might do a small special run and call it the Black Pearl ? I'm hoping they do something so more can enjoy + they are out of stock on many parts, which is pretty worrisome to be honest.

#12824 4 years ago

I found one for sale in Europe, CE NIB... works out at $16.2k delivered... seems a bit pricy to me... but it IS a CE NIB!! Any idea how many CEs were made?

No idea, but they limited the run to 200 units (see chart above) ... considering they were $12.5K + shipping in the states .... $16K doesn't sound completely out of whack

#12827 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

There is only so much demand for $9k-13k pinball machines in the world and sales of POTC where obviously much softer than expected. Combined with a high level of quality issues due to assembly mistakes and an unforgiving design, it's no surprise they cut bait and moved on to a simpler, less costly, more popular theme like Wonka. I wouldn't bet against them making more but give it 50/50 at best. There are more options then ever for the small number of collectors willing to spend over $10k, and I doubt a theme like POTC has strong, current appeal to the other man-cave and operator market segments. Maybe they could confidently plan on selling 100-200 more copies of a simplified version, i.e. no monkey mech strategy, priced at $12k delivered, but unlike WOZ that has never really been out of production, it would probably take a lot of effort to restart the POTC supply chain and production for relatively small total profits. This seems like a losing strategy for a company that has struggled to generate steady cash flow and profit streams.

I don't know man seems like quite a bit of demand for games games $10+. You have Stern games selling for far more and their not even close to POTC (i.e Elvira). I would argue that the Pirates theme is far more popular than Wonka...lets hope make more units because they don't have many parts in stock, which is a big problem.

#12830 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

The stats I saw were 1,000 overall, 200 CEs, about 680 LEs and less than 100 standards.

wow I didn't realize the numbers were that low

#12843 4 years ago

I think it would be great if JJP made the game again, but I have my doubts. Clearly they didn't make enough money selling mostly LE's and CE's at their original retail pricing. If they do make the game I would expect a big price jump (like YBR numbers)....its by far JJP's best game to date. My guess is they could easily sell a couple hundred units at YBR pricing.

#12849 4 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I'm guessing they run a few hundred more next year. However, if they don't, how likely is getting replacement parts going to factor into long term issues? That's my main concern is that I'm not confident that they maintain parts long term. Thoughts on this?

I'm with ya...its a real concern...doesn't say much about JJP's future if they don't even stock spare parts. I wish them the best, but its a bad sign.

#12851 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

I was told they were going to keep stocking parts they had just run out of parts. I was initially worried about this as well but Shannon told me they were going to restock.

I hope your correct , but as of last week they were still out of wire forms ....

#12870 4 years ago

GI lighting is awesome, Invisiglass is great, exterior volume control / headphone jack are great, spinning pop pumper is cool, powder coating is so so, topper is typical JJP crap...same game play as the SE.....I think the extras are worth it, but u can upgrade most if u want....

#12871 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

GI lighting is awesome, Invisiglass is great, exterior volume control / headphone jack are great, spinning pop pumper is cool, powder coating is so so, topper is typical JJP crap...same game play as the SE.....I think the extras are worth it, but u can upgrade most if u want....

Part2....shaker is a must, and the star map is cool, but I never look at it (maybe I should)....LE upgrades were easily worth $1k on this game

#12885 4 years ago
Quoted from Mikespinball:

I recently installed mirror blades in my LE. Looks great, what do you think?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

They look great....I'm shocked there was enough room to install them. Mine could barely fit game blades. Hope they don't get all scratched up raising and lowering the play field.

#12890 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

I've thought about putting some black chrome mirror vinyl on but haven't gotten to it yet. I have some spare mirror blades to use as a pattern. Seems like it would look good but couldn't find any threads about it on Pinside. I'd prefer art blades or black mirror blades, but am not thrilled with the art blades available and it's just too tight for mirrors.
amazon.com link »

I installed the art blades from tilt graphics....they look great

#12891 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

I've thought about putting some black chrome mirror vinyl on but haven't gotten to it yet. I have some spare mirror blades to use as a pattern. Seems like it would look good but couldn't find any threads about it on Pinside. I'd prefer art blades or black mirror blades, but am not thrilled with the art blades available and it's just too tight for mirrors.
amazon.com link »

Those might look cool....I wonder if they go on flat, and don't show any ripples?

#12898 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I use the flashing light to learn the symbols. They make sense after a while.

is there a chart or something that lists all the symbols and their associated meanings?

#12927 4 years ago

I have a set of these, and their somewhat useless on POTC....they do however work great on my other games....

1 week later
#12968 4 years ago

One more question... when I watched some online vids of the game before taking the plunge I saw 3 concentric disks in the playfield spinning in opposite directions, with insert lights in them... but in my game there's just one central spinning disk with no lights... when I saw my single spinning disk I though I was going mad and only imagined the concentric disks when I saw the videos, my imagination fuelled by the corresponding screen graphic, but checking now again I see I'm not going mad, and there really are 3 concentric disks!! Wtf?? Why does my CE have just one disk with no light inserts?? Is this usual for the CEs, or have I got a rare prototype??

They changed to a single disc on all production games.

#13000 4 years ago

Thanks for the tip! That yellow is bizarre if it's supposed to be there... I imagined them hanging in a shop window for months to get like that... can't figure out how the yellow is connected with the artwork though... the sun on the horizon perhaps!? Would be very interested to see how yours look in the game after your trimming job!

This is normal as mine are exactly the same. One thing to remember is the hole in the back isn't even close to lining up and you'll have to do a lot of trimming up around the back box area. Making a template makes a lot of sense otherwise your doing a lot trimming in closed quarters, which is a challenge

#13052 4 years ago
Quoted from bbulkley:

I just wired funds to Pinball Sales in Australia to secure one of the last NIB LE's. It should fly its way to me next week - looking forward to it!

So does JJP provide you a kit to convert the power?

#13075 4 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

No we didn't. We bought the game as is.
If you expected something different, you'd be better off waiting before buying.
New code wouldn't be bad, but I think it's pretty good with how it is now.

Theres some truth to this, but they admitted the code isn't finished so at a minimum they need to get to 1.0....one of the reasons people love JJP games is their code development. Historically they have been far better than their competitors. Lets hope they make this a priority soon.

#13077 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

The following is from This Week in Pinball on October 30, 2017:
"Pirates of the Caribbean New Info
As mentioned previously, Jersey Jack Pinball announced their newest game Pirates of the Caribbean at Expo. The game is packed with features and the response from the pinball community has been overwhelmingly positive. (Check out TWIP’s Deep Dive into the game here.) We reached out to Jersey Jack Pinball to find out some additional details:
The game will ship with the code at “Rules Complete” with all features included in the game (it was at around 20-30% at Expo)"
https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/twip-guardians-galaxy-rumor-round-jjp-pirates-new-info/
That is what we bought, and they haven't delivered.

I tend to agree....its pretty disappointing that JJP has basically given up on probably their best game to date....they don't even stock spare parts, which is pretty worrisome.

#13083 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Again, they are stocking parts. I just had an order shipped for a couple wireforms

They told me last week their out of wire forms

#13089 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Literally today just received mine

which one was it? Did it solve your issue? my right wire form is all jacked up

#13123 4 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

My SE has never had any problems except playfield needs cleaning more often than other games.
No pooling, chipping, etc. either.

He's not wrong in that they've had issues, but if your dealer is taking that stance then I highly doubt he carries Stern games....maybe he only carries CGC games ....

#13160 4 years ago
Quoted from Walleyefisher:

Careful the sue happy will come after you with pitchforks and torches. Old games not so much but newer stuff cease and desist letters are already on the way.

I get what your trying to convey, but in this makes absolutely no sense....if it did there would never be any mods made for games. Theres a small niche market for creative mod makers that in my opinion really enhance many games.

1 week later
#13214 4 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

So are there any nib machines of any trim level available in the US? I called and put a hold on the last one in Australia for a friend, but it’s an LE and he might prefer a standard.

I highly doubt you'll find any NIB games in the states. By the time you pay the extra money to ship a game over from Europe/Austalia, and then convert power (probably $600+) u might as well buy a nice used one. They come up every now and then.

#13277 4 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

About 10k when I was looking.

I suspect your geographic market might have an effect on pricing....my guess its more like $12K+ depending on condition and upgrades

#13281 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Most of the ones sold have at least the Kraken mod (and likely chest mod), so it's hard to say what bone stock would be, but there are a couple changing hands I know of recently at over $12k (including the one we had - with literally 4 other no-haggle buyers in line in case the first buyer fell through), and as I understand it another one or two are on deck to be offered at similar pricing. That solidified to the up side once Jack recently reiterated that there will not be another run (which I'm still not buying, but I believe he believes there won't be - right now).

I'm not really buying it as well, but I guess one never knows. I could easily see them making 50-100 special editions and asking crazy prices...in my opinion its by the far JJP's best game to date, and up there with any game I've owned or played.

#13286 4 years ago
Quoted from Dan1733:

I have a CE that is NIB that I will be putting up for sale. It was costly, as I paid a fairly significant premium to acquire a new one domestically, plus sales tax, plus shipping, etc. Please message me if you have any interest. My apologies in advance if this communication should be in the "Market" instead of the "Forum." I don't want to violate any Pinside regulations or especially the etiquette of this Forum.

why would you pay a premium + tax for a game you had no interest in playing?

#13308 4 years ago
Quoted from benbethel:

Hey there everyone - I'm just about to receive my POTC CE from ASOA - should be shipping next week, and I've selected the following mods to be installed... but I'd like feedback on these and their pricing and whether they seem like great mods. Would also like feedback on what mods would be awesome for the pin? I ordered this and Wonka CE from ASOA, and have waited a bit longer than I'd like, but am hoping that it will all be worth it in the end. Here's a link to the mods I'm getting...
http://tinyurl.com/s3qy9or
Much appreciated everyone... thank you! Now I just need to sell my Bride of Pinbot, Road Show, Woz 75th and Hobbit Smaug Gold Edition to help pay for these two pins!
Finally - on the 'drain topic' button, what does that exactly do.... does that catch me up on the topic? I wish the hover text was a bit more descriptive.
Thanks![quoted image]

I don't think u need the Davey Jones spinning mod?

I like the following:

Flipper Toppers
Tell No Tales Sign
Full Cliffy protectors
Barrels that go over the flashers
Monkey Mod
Parrot Mod
Rope Ladder Mod

#13314 4 years ago
Quoted from benbethel:

Well, I just paid $16,500 plus $500 shipping, so $17K. I've heard of one person paying $13K, another $15K, another $20K, another $22K. I just got sick of trying to find one... it's a hard pin to find. At least it was for me. My mistake was in wiring money immediately and being told I'd receive it quickly - my wire was end of october, beginning of november... I still don't have my pin... should have it end of next week or the week after. I'm pretty confident of this, and I want to maintain a healthy relationship with the seller as I've also ordered a Wonka CE from them, and they seem to be nice but have had a series of things pop up. I hope to have a great relationship with them in the long run, maybe they'll even sell me a specific pin that I've got my eyes on. I hope that they go above and beyond to exceed my expectations so that they have glowing reviews from me and my future business. They can still salvage this for sure... I'm easy-going until I'm not.

Thats pretty frustrating....and frankly a little odd. Did he get the game from Europe or something?

#13318 4 years ago
Quoted from benbethel:

I don't think so, I think they've had it from the get-go... unless they had sent me pics that weren't in their warehouse. That could definitely explain a lot. I'm hoping there will be a way to trace the serial number on this to see how many hops it had before getting to me.

I would have thought you'd have the game weeks ago.....something seems off, but I hope it all works out

#13357 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

On the Project Pinball stream last Friday one of the JJP guys mentioned they now have a good size software team (his description, not mine) of 6 people now. Seems like none of them have been given POTC update as a priority item in awhile.

They took so long to release POTC that they really developed the code, but its pretty disappointing that they don't seem to want to finish the game....its a sign that JJP is running on fumes with a lot of pressure to finally make $ and not allocate resources to support old games.

#13374 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Bitching about a thing you can't get to anyway is just bitching to have something to bitch about. That's why.
I get disgusted with the pitchfork brigades on this site.

I hear ya... but it does say something about JJP when they don't actually finish the game when 18 months have passed

#13410 4 years ago
Quoted from skyrex:

So I had a personal POTC quest fulfilled yesterday. If you play liars dice enough times in one game you get the option to bet “Your soul”. Well I lost the first time and apparently if you lose your soul the game ends.....which may be appropriate however I wanted to know what happened if you won that bet. I posted here and nobody seemed to know. Would you get double your points....triple.....double points and double the remaining balls?!?! I HAD TO KNOW!!
So I get to the soul bet again .....and lose. And lose. And LOSE!! I start thinking it is not a winnable bet. But determination wins out eventually right? Well after at least a dozen games that ended prematurely with a lost bet......I finally won!! The dice game was crazy. By far the highest I had gone with a bid. Started low at bidding 2 threes. He went to 3 threes. Back and forth we go. I was not losing this time. I took the bid to 7 threes having never gone past or won anything past bidding 5 of a number. I figured this time I was going to go down swinging. Well he bids 8 threes.....I finally call “LIAR!!” Now if you want to discover for yourself what happens when you win the soul bet eject from this post here.
Seriously stop reading if you don’t want to know. Last spoiler alert .....okay .....
What you win is.......an extra ball? That’s it? THAT’S IT?!?! Yep for ending so many games with a loss a win got me an extra ball. So the moral of the story is don’t bet your soul. The payoff is not worth it![quoted image]

Great intel....a little disappointing on the crappy award....I think an extra ball + big points would be more satisfying....maybe they'll change that in the code update

#13442 4 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

This was kinda funny, but hey why not ask 25k for a Pirates CE if you can: sfbay.craigslist.org link

wow....great game (I won one), but $25K is crazy

#13447 4 years ago

I swear i read a different story every day on this topic lol. They making more? “never, license would be too much $$$!”..., two days later They making more...? “Yes demand has driven them to make more!”

I thought there was no way they wouldn't make more, but now I'm really skeptical. I don't think JJP has the cash flow or where with all to even make 100 more games. My guess is they need to pump out games that will start making them money, and allocating resources on Pirates doesn't help that goal.

3 weeks later
#13727 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Gene wasn't set up to make the machines nor hit any kind of economy of scale. JJP (and Stern) are.

True, but the POINT is once the value hit a certain high, it becomes all but a lock to make more.

Disney will license toilet seats. They may be a bitch to work with, but they will take money, especially if you have a prior and ongoing (Toy Story, possibly still Muppets) relationship. With a sales price 50% higher than Jack's first go round, there's plenty in the jjPotC vault pool to cover this.

It'll happen.

The biggest vault of all time. It'll happen.

Because it's an engineering disaster and would essentially have to be re-done. This is one I do not think will happen.
But it's just my opinion. I have a pretty decent record. People were dogging me for calling the AC/DC re-release for half a year that Stern continually denied, until they announced it. Hilariously, it was like a day or two after the most recent person was saying I was an idiot and there's no way.
We'll see. Just an opinion, folks. Get your preorder in for GnR and give this one time.

I think it will happen if JJP is in business long enough....I think their running on fumes at the moment...I think they need to demonstrate profitability and making a couple hundred POTC's isn't gonna get it done.

#13729 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Strange. I don't think so.
LTG : )

Time will tell....

#13732 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Based on what? Not sure I've seen the "OMG make more POTC quick so JJP stays Afloat" argument.

Not trying to argumentative....its just my gut feeling about JJP. I wasn't a big fan of how they handled all the play field issues, and sending people a free play field is not a solution. What it tells me is they don't have the $ to solve the problem in a reasonable way. My gut tells me their under a lot of pressure to actually turn a profit. The only way they do that is to build new games that sell thousands of units.

#13759 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Haven't posted regarding my game for a good while.
I started following the POTC thread way back in fall 2018. I read about the fixes, made sure to know what I was getting into, then decided to jump in and purchase around February 2019.
I got my game in March, waited for my Cliffys to arrive, then started to read about playfield issues.
Over the course of the past year, I've waited to gather as many protective parts, Cliffys, starposts, mylar rings, etc, and finally went in last night to finish up with mods, protective star posts, and the updated Cliffys.
I have only 100 games played on my POTC.
Last night upon first inspection, I found dimples scattered around the lower third of the game, the kind I expected on a routed game, with 1000's of games played on it monthly.
When taking apart the sling under the Pearl, a giant ring was under the star post, two other smaller ones under the regular posts. Later I found large ripples under the washer for the guiderail, then even an indentation under the metal rail right next to the Pearl VUK.
I know this isn't new info, I prior replaced the sling posts, seeing rippling there, as well as had a tear near the shooter lane. But I guess for me, I felt I staved playing my game, for nearly a year now, and felt I was doing so to prolong my game for decades to come.
Last night felt pretty heart breaking frankly, to realize nothing I can do to protect my favorite game of the last three decades, will help alter the complete state of fuckdom that this playfield has placed this entire game into.
It's just disheartening, disgusting, and saddening. And it all comes back to this cursed playfield, that all of us Pirates owners have to deal with.
Nothing much else to do at this point. This entire time I could have been playing daily. Instead I chose to find as many bandaids as possible, to place on a gaping wound, across an entire bleeding body.
This fucking sucks.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Did you contact JJP to get your "free" play field

#13883 4 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

I bet the new owner of your machine that no longer has a warranty would appreciate it.

exactly

1 month later
#14406 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

I understand how distributors work and the important role they can play - I've used them throughout my career. Are you suggesting that JJP's model is only to provide tech and parts support through distributors (and thereby only to original purchasers)? Or that it's OK to repeatedly ignore and/or blow off owners of their machines who call published support numbers? They have not positioned themselves solely as a wholesaler. They sell direct and provide direct support channels on their web-site and other communications. Even if they didn't offer direct support, any good, customer focused business will refer you to the right place - and monitor their distributors to make sure they are providing proper support. They make great games (I've owned every one other than Wonka) but they are having real issues with support that will negatively effect their long-term success if they don't improve.

I couldn't agree more....at the moment anyone defending JJP's tech support isn't being honest with themselves. No idea if this will improve or not, but clearly JJP can't afford spare parts, and their customer support is gone WAY downhill over the years. For myself I was fine paying the premium for their product, but that came with the expectation of great customer support.....

#14407 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Direct-customer service isn't the only way businesses work. In fact, MOST businesses would prefer not to deal with the customer directly. They are not properly informed, waste a lot of time, and make unreasonable demands. Take the building industry for example. All the really good quality materials and products are not sold to the public. The public gets 'safe' products which meet regulations - but which don't last. Anything you buy at Home Depot for example, costs more and works less well due to this situation. Same with distributors and JJP. There are only so many workers and hours in the day.

Generally I would agree, but if said company decides to eliminate the wholesale model than all bets are off + the pinball industry is so specialized most manufacturers have to provide direct customer support even if they have the wholesale model (stern, CGC)....theres no denying that JJP has seriously cut the budget on customer support, which I am certain they are fully aware of. My guess is the they have a short runway to turn a profit or they turn out the lights.

#14412 4 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

a lot of distributors do. I tell ALL of my customers to call/email me before reaching out to JJP. Do they all listen? no...

I totally get the point, but should it really make a difference? Customers are told to register their games directly with JJP in order to trigger the warranty period. If said customer has an issue then he or she is instructed to open a ticket directly with JJP. I get some distributors have more clout with JJP, and know who to call and how to go around the system, but its not the process JJP has set up to deal with issues.

#14438 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Congrats! Best interactive topper ever. Now I wish I went for a CE when I had the chance lol.

By far the best topper JJP has ever developed, but not sure its better than CGC's AFMRLE

1 week later
#14534 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

I watched the video of the 20+ million shot posted in the thread a long time ago. I noticed he's able to backhand the right ramp. I'd be curious what the pitch and lower right flipper power settings are in that setup. The way mine is currently set up I can't backhand to the Pearl. It only gets about 3/4 of the way up the ramp when I try it. My pitch is 6.5 by the flippers (and 7.0 by the upper left flipper, and 7.3 by the chest) and my lower right flipper is at the default 25.

Great question as I cant make that shot.....my games pitch is pretty close to yours and my flipper settings are at default settings. I'm guessing his game is at a much lower pitch?

#14536 4 years ago
Quoted from MarZ_78:

My machine is currently a little more than 6.5 and can continuously backhand the right ramp. Interesting that some machines have issues doing that. Just curious... Flipper rubbers clean? what is the flipper coil strength at? level left to right? My right flipper coil setting is default (25).

6.5 at the flippers? my flipper rubbers are clean....I may try to increase the coil strength today and see if that helps. I really don't want to lower the play field angle as I like how it plays. My game is 6.5 at the lower flippers and 7.4 at the chest.....

#14539 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Wow, I can’t backhand it either, and my stuff is all stock as well. how perfect does the shot need to be ?

I've hit mine flush multiple times without success....I just figured it wasn't possible! Clearly I was wrong

#14548 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Just a guess but on some of my games like SW back handing shots can also be determined by the angle you have your flippers set to. On Star Wars I have the tips just a smidge (pinball term) higher and now I can hit that ramp all day. Just a thought.

Thats a good point....I'll check that out....I have a very accurate digital level so I'm pretty sure my measurements are spot on.

#14561 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

BACK IN THE CLUB. In what seems to be fate or destiny, we traded away our AFMr LE #860 and some cash, in order to get a like new JJP POTC LE #860 (crazy!). HUGE thank you to Kurt at Hemisphere Amusements for making this happen. The game has only 83 lifetime plays and looks brand new. As someone who previously owned a POTC and put on almost 2000 games, this one definitely looks like it was hardly ever touched!
The family is stoked! Now I have a whole bunch of mods I need to pickup from Mod Couple. :p[quoted image][quoted image]

Congrats....as you already know its a keeper Its the only game I've gone way overboard with mods, but it really improves the look of the game. The chest mod and that new Dauntless mods are both incredible

#14565 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Welcome back! There's a preorder list for the cannon smoke mod too. I would probably only turn that on during parties though.

whose making that mod?

#14571 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Crap I might be too late on the dauntless mod.

maybe u can get on the "if someone drops out list"? It looks pretty awesome

#14575 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The game is hard! It’s fast as TZ and way more complex. Also, a keeper!

way more complex is an understatement

#14581 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Lol. The basics are pretty simple. The deeper you dive, the more complex it is (in a good way for me). Tonight I beat the high score for treasure hoarding. Now that has me curious on what that's all about. I'll research that one tomorrow. Love this game.

Totally agree....its gets more and more complex the deeper u go....one of the reasons the game will probably never get old....looking forward to the new code

#14582 4 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

Ok guys and gals... shameless plug here for a awesome, easy to install mod:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpotc-double-barrel-cannon-mod#post-5548067
First and last mention I promise. But I do have a question for you all - the chest mod was about the most technical, time consuming mod I’ve probably done. All in all not hard, but took maybe a few hours or so to complete. Would you be interested in a mod unlike no other on JJPOTC, that could take maybe 5hrs to install, but visually on par with the chest mod?

sure ... spill the beans

#14585 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Looks like I’m in on the HMS mod!

HMS Mod ?

#14589 4 years ago

A sneak peek at the top portion of a new flasher dome rum barrel I’m working on. Both the lantern and the rum jug allow light pass through from the flasher
[quoted image]

Looks cool.....wish it was included with the barrel

#14591 4 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

Me and my big mouth! I will say I threw a ton of time at the development and prototyping around the time the playfield clear problems emerged, kinda as an escape from the drama. I hired an artist(she worked for cheap)and spoke with some vendors about an initial run of 50 or so units. Then I got nervous there’s so few pirates that it may not be feasible. I could just sell the game (not that I would) an make a nice profit or go all in on this and maybe loose money. I was thinking about pricing it around $250ish which in this hobby is kinda the going rate for a premier mod, which this definitely is! Heck the chest mod is amazing and factory - this mod could have been in the game also! That might of netted around $100 each, but allot more time putting everything together, and support, and things never go as planned, and on and on. I also kicked around offering it to a pro modder to run with and take a royalty, or just put up the teaser video knowing it was my idea. I think a few brave souls here could/would do the mod on their own after seeing it, but offering it as a complete kit with easy instructions, where you’ve upgraded your game on a Saturday seems so much more appealing. Hell maybe it’s actually dumb and I’m just bias. Sorry no spilled beans yet... maybe some day.

Heres your saving grace....many people who own a POTC don't mind dumping a little more cash at the game especially since the market is currently several thousand higher than the original retail...your time is now

#14598 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Huh? So what’s the idea?

If its really a great mod I'm sure he could get 100 owners to pre purchase or at least put down a deposit.....

#14613 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Getting a ton of stuff from mod couple soon - and the family is just loving this pin (again). I can't believe I ever sold it the first time, it's gonna be bolted to the floor this time.

They make great stuff for this game.....

#14678 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Agreed
mm could be the most overrated game out there.

MM is a great game....I have POTC and MMR sitting right next to each other....very different from one another....

1 week later
#14787 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Wouldn't normal suggest or Sway it but as Pirates is a rather Small by comparison club/grouping do consider giving the Black pearl a vote in the finals IF and only IF you do believe it is the better game. Again Not swaying your opinion just suggesting this game deserves its rightful time to shine..... Plus its all in fun anyway. More like guidelines........
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/round-4-greatest-pinball-game-of-all-time-tournament-edition/page/2

I have put a lot of time on LOTR .... its really not in the same league as POTC, but many haven't played so they vote on the game they own or have played

2 weeks later
#14889 3 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

Anyone have an extra shooter lane wireform they aren't using? Mine is messed up (not fabbed correctly, ball is bumping multiple spots). Unfortunately it seems JJP sent out all of their 'extras' and is out of stock and not making more. Please send me a PM if you're able to help.
I wish I had been able to open my game sooner!

Its frustrating that JJP doesn't have the cash to stock spare parts for this machine. I've been waiting on a wire form for months

#14894 3 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

What's wrong with it?

My right wire form doesn't lay flat (where the ball drops into the lane the wire form is an approximate 30 degree angle)....It works, but needs to be bent and tweaked in order to sit flat so its parallel to the play field. I bent it some, but was really nervous about it is because if it broke I'd be screwed. I spoke with JJP several months back, and apparently this was a common issue. They said they were out of stock and would contact me when they had more....its been crickets ever sense, and all my emails have gone unanswered.

#14912 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Done!!
[quoted image]

That looks great...well done!

#14914 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Accidentally printed it with 100% infill (solid block of plastic), so it is REALLY sturdy

well done...

#14934 3 years ago
Quoted from Dexje:

that sadly does not help - i´ve already seen it and searched for the part number. nobody sells it.

So is this another POTC part number that JJP isn't stocking any longer?

#14938 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

As you haven’t described Why you need this part nor contacted JJP might I suggest contacting HarryHoudini. He sells this motor kit complete and I’m sure he could help you out.

great idea...I can't imagine its not a standard motor thats probably cheap

#15033 3 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I DID IT, I DID IT, I DID IT!!!
I figured I'd just go down and play a quick game, little did I know I would end up beating Pirates of the Caribbean for the first time ever. I got to all five movie wizard modes and played them all and then kept going. With 2 balls left and EB lit, I had the last two wizard modes lit. In perfect fashion, next ball, plunge, bricked the shot and quick drain. Got At World's End started with 1 ball left and played through it, then drained. Had to collect my EB on my last ball and got Dead Men Tell No Tales started to seal it. Ended up with over 15 million. All on factory settings and no other player to plunder to get more rewards either.
Absolutely amazing game! I can't believe there is still more to come!?!?
So now I could legitimately complain that the final wizard mode isn't in the game because I would have played it, but you know what? I don't mind, take your time, do it right, make it awesome and I'll be back! I love this game!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wow nice work! curious....how many games have u put on your POTC?

#15036 3 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

That's a good question. I am the second owner, so I don't know if I can check for sure, but I'll look and see. I think the previous owner reset the settings when he sold it to me so maybe it does have my lifetime plays.

Just wondering how many games it took u to get there

#15092 3 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

How many here have been able to install side art blades in this game and have them survive? I have had some sitting on my shelf for probably a year and I just haven't done it yet because one its a pain to put them and two things are so tight I figure they will just be destroyed (and yes I have the side art plastic protector pieces too.

I have, but its a really tight fit....u definitely need those decal protectors when u lift the play field

#15098 3 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Is there any ahem "easy way" the get these on other than complete removal of the PF which is not a possibility for me.

Dude no need to remove the play field....I did the wet method (some prefer dry)....your just lifting the play field up and down a few times. Removing the back box bolts (one at a time) helps quite a bit in the alignment in the back of the game....u need to buy the side blade protectors before going down this path.

#15101 3 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

For me removing the hinge bolts was the most difficult part of the project - they were so tight the plywood veneer chipped on the inside
For my second set I went with PinGraffix blades which have larger holes, so no need to remove the hinge bolts.
Btw, wet method is absolutely the way to go.

Good to know....i.e. PinGraffix

#15102 3 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

I already have the protectors. I just have read how super tight this PF is compared to other games making install and use a pain.

I can concur.....its a tight fit...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
24,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 38.00
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ptownpin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club?tu=ptownpin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.