(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,885 posts
  • 633 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Buzzie
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pirates2 (resized).jpg
IMG_2296 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2297 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2298 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2299 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2301 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2300 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240330_165232 (resized).jpg
POTC_Mods_annotated (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 12.02.54 PM (resized).png
17117301082711484468150429261795 (resized).jpg
20240329_160033 (resized).jpg
431321214_1110342276953195_8816628931148154685_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #222 Liar's Dice rules explained! Posted by goren1818 (5 years ago)

Post #644 Rules flow chart Posted by Rbviessman (5 years ago)

Post #1021 How to fix black pearl lamps Posted by Yelobird (5 years ago)

Post #1360 Black Pearl flippers are uneven when in upper position - Fix Posted by evh347 (5 years ago)

Post #2468 Hardware fix for balls getting hung up during multiball. Posted by Pinballpal (5 years ago)

Post #2892 Adjustment for auto plunger not hitting balls cleanly or correctly Posted by Pinballpal (5 years ago)

Post #3974 Deadflip stream from Valentine’s Day 2019. Posted by Tuna_Delight (5 years ago)

Post #4014 POTC trouble shooting guide Posted by zaphX (5 years ago)

Post #4856 Possibly let distributor go through machine and get it tuned in. Posted by dgposter (5 years ago)

Post #6315 Fix for dauntless positioning, canon shots not landing Posted by Yelobird (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#51 6 years ago

I just sent my deposit in for a LE to flipnout1 ! I had the chance to play a few games at Expo and the game is nothing but amazing to me. I was surprised by how well Eric and the rest of the team pulled it off. The other favorite JJP title is WOZ, which Zanzabar has a nice one in Louisville set up that I can always play. The biggest difference to me on POTC vs WOZ (or TH) is that POTC does not feel like a widebody on the shots. The real estate on the game is thought out well and completely chalked full of features. The second game, I finally noticed the 2 magnets at the top of the playfield above the map targets, that I think you may be able can control with flippers. I know ZBar will be getting one, but with the deep rule set, and the toys.. I know that my kids are going to play a ton of it too and not get bored, and that is what it is all about.

I felt like I talked a lot to Eric, Keith, Joe Harber and Jack on the game, which definitely helped me with making the decision to purchase the pin.
Thanks JJP crew for making an awesome pinball!

Oh, and what better way to move a nice title like this but with an Escalera from flipnout1 (That was for you Larry lol)

10 months later
#77 5 years ago

I got my shipping notification yesterday! Hoping it is here next week. I will post some pics when it arrives!

#80 5 years ago

Finally have some time to upload some pics!
So I don't have a walkout which means I unboxed it in the garage and used my sweet escalera to take it down the stairs (in case you are wondering why the unboxing is not in the same place).

20180908_153549 (resized).jpg20180908_153549 (resized).jpg20180908_153554 (resized).jpg20180908_153554 (resized).jpg20180908_153719 (resized).jpg20180908_153719 (resized).jpg
#81 5 years ago

I didn't take pics of setting it up lol (sorry! I will ask my friends that were there if I can get their pics), but after it was set up my brother and I did a quick check of connectors underneath (everything was solid!)

20180908_160623 (resized).jpg20180908_160623 (resized).jpg20180908_162029 (resized).jpg20180908_162029 (resized).jpg20180908_162032 (resized).jpg20180908_162032 (resized).jpg20180908_162038 (resized).jpg20180908_162038 (resized).jpg
#82 5 years ago

Two minor call outs... The packing material wasn't exactly spelled out on the setup sheet. It was called out to "remove packing material", but just remember to take the foam blocks out from around the black pearl. They were a little hard to see as they blended in, but we did catch it before turning on.

As far as the topper goes, the cable is wire tied to the back of the bracket where the topper mounts too (I love strain reliefs!). This actually is in the way of the topper, so I had to slip off the wire tie. I plan to put a large wire tie on so that it just can't slip back through the hole in the top of the cabinet (if that makes sense)

20180908_160244 (resized).jpg20180908_160244 (resized).jpg20180908_160739 (resized).jpg20180908_160739 (resized).jpg
#83 5 years ago

This is kindof a terrible pic, but wanted to show the led lighting underneath the black pearl ramp, which lights up the playfield pretty well. The spotlights do a good job too.

20180909_150351 (resized).jpg20180909_150351 (resized).jpg
#84 5 years ago

Here are some other random photos

20180909_150311 (resized).jpg20180909_150311 (resized).jpg20180909_150323 (resized).jpg20180909_150323 (resized).jpg20180909_150600 (resized).jpg20180909_150600 (resized).jpg20180909_150644 (resized).jpg20180909_150644 (resized).jpg20180909_150657 (resized).jpg20180909_150657 (resized).jpg
#85 5 years ago

Everyone likes a nice set of legs right?

These look like a powder coated blackish-brown in my basement lighting, but the Leg Bolts AND leg levelers are powder coated the same. I was a little shocked on the levelers. Maybe all powder coated games have this (this is my first LE obviously).

20180909_153631 (resized).jpg20180909_153631 (resized).jpg
#86 5 years ago

oh also the pic above on the legs (just saw it)... they give you a piece of cut felt that goes behind the legs.

Basically cabinet->mounted metal plate->felt->leg if that makes sense.

#93 5 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

pinballj... it’s been 2hrs so what are your initial thoughts? We need details!

Something I shouldn't admit lol, but after the game was set up..first ball I full plunge it, and it flies around the top orbit straight down the middle. That is when we notice ball save is not on by default! So my "first impression was 256 points"

Honestly, this game has a lot going on as you all know. The developers on the twitch streams definitely make it look easy. I know it is a new game in the house , but my 9 year old loves it (esp collecting gold).

The light show of the GI is awesome...esp for stranger tides multiball when it goes red. The colors pop very well.

Sound/music.. I wish I remember what chapter it was, but there was like a choir chant (not describing this well) going on which was very awesome.

I haven't made any adjustments yet to the playfield or any power settings. Trunk lock has worked fine so far. There were a couple that didn't make it up, but it wasn't directly hit either. I do like how the balls are physically locked and displayed.

One software change I would love to see, but may be too difficult... Let's have this game have a "max players" option default to 4, that you can add up to 32 players. Last night we had 8 people all wanting to play. It would have been cool if we could plunder against each other! ARGHHHH!!!!

#101 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I like the piece of "wood" from the Black Pearl down to the ramp and did you have to remove the top of the Black Pearl to get to the packaging

I didn't have to remove the ship or loosen anything to pull them out.

#104 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

All good after closer inspection got it figured out

Yeah I prob had the playfield pulled out a little to take advantage of the full rails

#116 5 years ago

Just sharing a couple minor adjustments I made after playing a few games:

1) Switch for the fork ramp under the treasure test was not 100% registering all of the time correctly. I bent it out a little so that it would make contact sooner/longer when the fork ramp is up. This fixed an intermittent fault reported of the fork ramp not working right. Test fault helped with testing it to make sure it behaved right.

2) The Tortuga saucer was kicking out to the tip of the left flipper and then down the middle. I bent the cover slightly to have it go close to the middle of the left flipper.

3) The switch for the right "chapter rubberband" / sw 57 (in the start chapter stars area at the top) was a little tight and was registering 10 points I think when you hit both flippers. This was cool to figure out as I am a JJP noob. During a game, you can go to diagnostics / switch tests / switch matrix... close the coin door and flip the ball around. You can watch the matrix as switches were firing. I noticed switch 57 going off by itself even though I was no where close to it. So that was obviously it. Since there is a plastic that covers that area, I took the switch out from the bottom of the playfield, adjusted and reinserted.

#154 5 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

On the prototypes Eric removed the rubber from the "E" out lane post near the plunger lane and made the save nudge a little easier. It appears that it ships with the rubber donut on that post and very difficult to save it - tilted every time I tried it (unsuccessfully), but home owners can easily remove the donut, or swap it to the post on the other side.

I did that swap just two days ago
Now it seems to go over there alot, but I am ok with it as my kids freak out when they get a "free ball save". We also have plunder turned up pretty high too. It is hilarious to watch how happy my 9yr gets when she gets to plunder 30 or more pieces of gold from someone (normally me). Plundering definitely leads to smack talk for sure.

2 weeks later
#244 5 years ago

So I just had my best game. 1.9mil on code 0.96. Funny but I chose blackbeard because it is my brothers favorite character to play (because it is Swearengen from Deadwood) and just lit up the table.

Only strategy was to keep a ball in play lol. I never got a wizard mode though I tried.

What an awesome game!

20181002_211254 (resized).jpg20181002_211254 (resized).jpg
#248 5 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

Hi guys I’m new. Been reading for awhile but really wanted to join. I’ve been waiting to get a Pirates of the Caribbean Limited addition for some time and just learned that they removed the triple spinning disc. I’m so terribly disappointed since it was such a cool feature. I’m still leaning towards getting one but it is a factor in my decision. How does everybody that has a POTC now feel about it without the disc? What does the single spinning disk do now I can’t really find out does it have any function other than marginally affecting ball movement?.

The single disc has a ton of reaction on the ball...and I think it is more now than when it was when it was a three disc. I guess it is because the spinning disc moves slow (so it can grip the ball better / more coefficient of friction). I am completely happy with the game and I pretty much forgot about the three disc version until I saw this post lol.

On the plunder question, I have mine cranked up high too. It is so fun when playing against the kids. It totally adds to the overall experience of the game. Arghh!!!

#266 5 years ago
Quoted from DANGERTERROR:

Owners: I need your help. Is the chest supposed to be mounted somehow on the right side? Mine swings out freely from the left side. The ball lock shot knocks it way out of place. I cannot see where hardware would hold it down on the right side. For now it’s idiotically zip tied.
[quoted image]

Hope the pics help, but the chest is mounted to the vuk bracket. The bracket goes into the chest and has threaded posts that go through the bottom of the chest. There are nuts on these that hold the chest in place.

1B5CBEA2-3511-4B53-AB58-EE4914AEEA95 (resized).jpeg1B5CBEA2-3511-4B53-AB58-EE4914AEEA95 (resized).jpegEFCDA6C7-7E0A-4761-A7DB-812D91F44C75 (resized).jpegEFCDA6C7-7E0A-4761-A7DB-812D91F44C75 (resized).jpeg
#293 5 years ago
Quoted from DANGERTERROR:

I finally caught the problem in action while I was there and, with the ball up against the lock arm, I could hear the coil clicking (receiving power), but the arm wasn't moving. I believe the gap between the arm's magnetic plate and the coil magnet was too great, and the magnet couldn't overcome it.
I used the little tab on the metal plate the coil attracts to close that gap and I *think* it's working now.[quoted image]

I had the exact problem, and thought it had to do with the latest code update, until I heard the clicking noise like you heard. I noticed the exact same stop that you found and how it wasnt hitting it. I adjusted like you did, and haven't had a problem since. I assumed this was just the gate somehow binding against the chest, and the stop prevents it. Anyway, my chest lock has been working fine..but maybe this is an adjustment that may be worth noting on for anyone else that has the issue.

3 months later
#2758 5 years ago
Quoted from evh347:

I installed TheModCouple's disc-silencer today and I have to say that I'm a believer now too. I don't want to sound like I'm on the ModCouple's Xmas list, but I've got all of Dave's mods and this one I voted for a TWIPY. Not completely silent (they never claimed it would be), but after about 6 games in, its an improvement.
My only criticism is that the install instructions could use the touch of an experienced technical writer, but I get it...they create mods and that's what they're good at. Might want to add some info onto the website that 'White Lithium Grease' is recommended to have on hand during install.

Talking about quieting down a pinball machine, it reminded me of evh347 post on the disc silencer kit. I got this too as I was having a noisy rotating map and was thinking it wouldn't quiet it down too much. At first it was noisy still (and seemed maybe noiser). But sure enough, after 4 or so plays it quieted down, just like the instructions said. This was a huuuge improvement! Well done @yelobird!

1 month later
#3723 5 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

Any LE or CE owners ever score anything from the star map? I see the coded images come up on the screen at times, but never enough time to look at the map and shoot the shot. Little like HOADC on WOZ it seems - nice side game but only by accident.

Yep! What I do to "learn the stars" , is shoot the chapter select / star map shot...watch for the flashing shot on the playfield , and then look at the star field. Then you learn the star constellation patterns. I can pick out a few now by looking at just the stars. When I get it right, and playing with a friend it freaks them out lol.

10 months later
#13531 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Fellow pirates!
A Wonka Candy Kode (411411) has revealed the existence of a hidden 23rd POTC character!

Awesome find/hint! I thought maybe a clue would be on the playfield/inserts since each player has a respective shot. I only saw the 22 characters (and nothing else) as a labeled insert or pic on the playfield. Maybe the CE has someone on the playfield that the std/le doesn't?

Also tried a combination of flipper buttons (411 code, but no luck). Just holding in the left and pressing 5 right makes the random select is all I know.

9 months later
#15902 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

There are a total of 125 chapters. At the beginning of the game the software selects 5 from each movie that you will be playing, for a total of 25. So 25 available per game, chosen from a pool of 125.

It's quite genius really. No two games are ever alike. I don't see how the game can get old because of the change of characters selected per chapter. I find myself more looking up two see what characters were chosen then remembering who to go for vs looking for the inserts. Very fun!

#15919 3 years ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

Yup! That looks like the problem

Rdoyle1978 beat me, but here is a pic of my under playfield flipper

16044548916067315784129641592984 (resized).jpg16044548916067315784129641592984 (resized).jpg
#15920 3 years ago

So here is a weird one. Had a few multiballs going on and had a ball hit the glass. The ball hit perfectly where the rail on top of the apron joins with the other rail and jumped on top of the apron!

Anyway. If some odd chance this happens to you, use a stool or something to have the ball roll backwards THEN pull the playfield glass off. I did that to avoid the ball wedging against the glass as you slide it out. Just passing that on. May play the lottery while I am at it lol.

20201103_203756 (resized).jpg20201103_203756 (resized).jpg
#15931 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I had this too. I think a lot of us have. One thing you can do is loosen the screws that attach the silver rail to the apron, pull the rail up as high as it will go and re-tighten the screws.

Good call, will check that!

7 months later
#16899 2 years ago
Quoted from paulbaptiste:

LTG
I did remove the diode's, but that coil is burnt out. I put another coil in it's place but it immediately energized. When home on lunch today, I switched the Left and Right coil to see if the problem would follow the coil. It immediately energized again.
Does this make sense? It went from staying on when pushed, to staying on when powered on. I did replace the mosfets on the IO boards for both the upper flippers a few weeks ago for the same symptoms. Are these bad again? If so, what is causing this to continue to happen.
Appreciate your help.
Nick

I hate to say it Nick, but if you put a coil in with diodes, I could totally see the diodes themselves shorting out the mosfet again. This could happen if the Cathode of the Diode (stripe) is connected to the drive side of the connector (Tan / Red wire). If it was wired the opposite, where the anode side is to the Tan/Red wire, I would think it would be ok.

What will happen if it was backwards, is that when the mosfet is engaged, it will not have the resistance of the coil to limit the current, and just put all of the current through the diode (0.6v voltage drop though) and the mosfet.

It sounds like you already tested the mosfet by installing a new coil and it stays engaged, or if somehow the driver wire is shorted to ground somewhere.

I hope that helps, and hopefully not too confusing!
-Jeremy
drive107-p320 (resized).pngdrive107-p320 (resized).pngdrive108-p321 (resized).pngdrive108-p321 (resized).pngpp246-coils (resized).pngpp246-coils (resized).png

#16902 2 years ago
Quoted from paulbaptiste:

Just pissed at myself for not noticing the difference on the coil. Same part number so assumed they were identical. Not sure why it worked for 3 weeks then decided to be a problem.
In my perfect world, I will change both the left and right Mosfets again and it will also cover my machine gunning on the right flipper as well.
Appreciate the input, truly.

Just keep at it! I know it sucks, but will be sooooo rewarding when you get it all back in "Ship shape" condition

#16905 2 years ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

Whooowhooo! Congrats, man

Yeah awesome job! Such a great feeling getting a game back to 100%. Now it is time for you to plunder some gold!

4 months later
#17182 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

IT HAPPENED!!! A new release is imminent!!

Quoted from Galooch:

Really!? Where did you see that? I can’t wait to explore this game all over again!

Holy crap! Just checked telegram (beta sign up)!
Thanks Rdoyle1978 for the heads up!

#17185 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

From where ? Not on the website.
LTG : )

It is in the telegram channel from the JJP Open beta program. Being beta, it is not officially on the site yet.

Beta program sign up info here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-open-beta-program#post-6225712

Btw, is there an achievement for answering @LTG?

#17273 2 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Does anyone have an Amazon link for a known working Wi-Fi adapter for POTC

This was what was recommended, and I have in both JJPOTC and WOZ..works fine:

TP-Link Nano AC600 USB Wifi... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PB1X4CN

5 months later
#17564 2 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Here she is! Congrats to those that got one! It’s one of the best ever.

Holy crap, that looks awesome!

#17603 2 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

I know I saw the stl file for this somewhere I would love it if someone could share with me thanks!

Looks like the "The Hobbit Pinball Barrel PinCup Mod Mk II" on thingiverse:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3209406

11 months later
#18333 1 year ago

Just curious, has anyone ever figured out how to get to the 23 character/pirate or if there is one?

I assume it is some sort of flipper code you enter during choosing your character. This is in reference to the 411411 Kandy Kode from Wonka:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pinball/262547-willy-wonka-and-the-chocolate-factory/faqs/78127

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 38.00
$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club?tu=pinballj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.