(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,885 posts
  • 633 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Buzzie
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pirates2 (resized).jpg
IMG_2296 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2297 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2298 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2299 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2301 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2300 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240330_165232 (resized).jpg
POTC_Mods_annotated (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 12.02.54 PM (resized).png
17117301082711484468150429261795 (resized).jpg
20240329_160033 (resized).jpg
431321214_1110342276953195_8816628931148154685_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #222 Liar's Dice rules explained! Posted by goren1818 (5 years ago)

Post #644 Rules flow chart Posted by Rbviessman (5 years ago)

Post #1021 How to fix black pearl lamps Posted by Yelobird (5 years ago)

Post #1360 Black Pearl flippers are uneven when in upper position - Fix Posted by evh347 (5 years ago)

Post #2468 Hardware fix for balls getting hung up during multiball. Posted by Pinballpal (5 years ago)

Post #2892 Adjustment for auto plunger not hitting balls cleanly or correctly Posted by Pinballpal (5 years ago)

Post #3974 Deadflip stream from Valentine’s Day 2019. Posted by Tuna_Delight (5 years ago)

Post #4014 POTC trouble shooting guide Posted by zaphX (5 years ago)

Post #4856 Possibly let distributor go through machine and get it tuned in. Posted by dgposter (5 years ago)

Post #6315 Fix for dauntless positioning, canon shots not landing Posted by Yelobird (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinball_keefer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#142 5 years ago

Well, there's "start" and "advance." Yes a mb should start if it says "start," but that will only happen in pity conditions or very high mystery levels.

1 week later
#208 5 years ago

The choreography isn't complete yet, but it's functional so I wanted to get it out there. No chance on DJ though.

1 week later
#249 5 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

Also I watched Kevin play on several videos and it seems that the electronic map lands almost always on plunder opponents character and doesn’t seem all that random. Not sure they got the code right for that.

It's just a bug that resulted from canceling a revenge instead of executing it. Basically the game kept help trying to revenge the whole time. It'll be dealt with.

1 week later
#377 5 years ago

evh347 pretty much has it. A new SuperX opens up with each completion of the award. The first time you complete and collect SuperX, only 2x is available on the standups. The next time you do it, 2x and 3x are available (meaning you can make a mistake and take 2x instead of 3x). Then the next one adds 4x, 5x, then finally 6x for the 5th+ collection of SuperX. At any time when you light the standups, it's the first one you hit is what you get, making it slightly more riskier DURING multiball.

SuperX isn't the only timed award from the inlanes... ShotX technically has a timer (20 seconds) to make a shot. Arrr Frenzy last 30 seconds like SuperX, and its value increases each time you collect it as well (500, 750, 1000, etc.). Hurryup starts immediately after completing the lanes and you collect the Hurryup value by hitting the Pirate target ASAP. Also, other things become more valuable the more you do them, such as Light Gold (20, then 30, then 40...), big points becomes more and more valuable, hurryup becomes more and more valuable, etc. We are quite proud of the depth we managed to pack into "just an inlane rule"!

#381 5 years ago

Continuing from what Eskaybee said, ShotX always lights all 5 targets, so any time you collect ShotX, the next one can be worth up to 6x (depending on which target you hit). So if you have a fat super or some other shot lit or coming up, go for the ShotX and try to collect it at 6x.

I once finished a chapter with an ~880K shot. Tia Dalma (added pressure) as the last character, decent time still on timer, had 6x going, nailed 6x target for ShotX, backhanded Tia Dalma for the horrific collect.

2 weeks later
#541 5 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

What purpose do souls have in the game and how do you collect them?

In the context of liar's dice, souls refers to characters collected from chapters. You can double or nothing your characters to really help your wizard mode scores (or not).

Unless it says "your soul." Tread lightly!

#626 5 years ago
Quoted from iepinball:

I noticed the motor test stops at different home positions so it's not an exact science for setting the correct level.

Yeah it's pretty rare the game just keeps the playfield still, so it's not a huge issue. The main reason it differs is because home is defined as the transition from one side to the other, so coast is a factor (and probably more coast moving left side down).

1 week later
#969 5 years ago

The strategy is setting up for a 720k final mode shot!

1 week later
#1164 5 years ago

We just found a mistake that is probably causing some clipping so we'll have it fixed in the next release.

#1185 5 years ago

The main issue will be power on after power loss will be disabled. You have to jump a couple pins on the front panel header to get it to start again (equivalent of hitting the power button on a pic). The pins are pretty forgiving; TBH I just take the plug end of some cheap headphones and jam it on the rightmost square of 4 pins as I don't remember exactly which pins are the power button. After it boots you can plug in a keyboard and set the power restore after power loss to always on again.

#1211 5 years ago

That's correct that we rotate the video and screens are installed upside down by default. Hopefully he was referring to upside down in game, which I assume he was.

The wanted posters don't come up often because there's a lot of them, but I'm moving them sooner in attract mode (it's like in the 4th pass now or something). If you keep hitting the right flipper button, they'll show up eventually. (Or left if you accidentally go past it.)

#1291 5 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

And there are times in chapters when my game won't register some switches. There was one chapter and I had to do the "marty" shot, it is the left spinner on the ship. And I am sure I did this shot again and again but it just refused to register the shot. In test the spinner works perfect.

Assuming your spinners are wired correctly, if you shoot the other side (Cotton) first, you need to wait for the spinners to stop for about a second before you will be able to shoot Marty. Otherwise, the game thinks the spinner is the same "shot" as the previous time through the loop. After a second of no spins, then shoot Marty and you should be fine.

1 week later
#1482 5 years ago
Quoted from iepinball:

- No, the value is not collected when you hit a skull shot.
- Yes, the skull value directly relates to the value of each shot in chapters. Skull Value x Chapter Multiplier = Shot Value
- Hitting a skull shot will increase that skull's value.

"Ackthually,"

Yes, you absolutely collect the skull value on each shot when you're not in a chapter. This is a completely valid and important strategy to build up a value pretty high then milk it during main (non-chapter) play. If you loop the upper loop at the start of the game, for example, you'll see 1000, 1025, 1050, etc. You collect the skull value for that movie and increase it. If you find yourself with a 36x shot and nowhere to use it, shoot for the highest valued skull.

The other main way you increase skull scoring is during chapters. Each SHOT has a skull increase value associated with it, and it increases more the harder the shot. Some examples: center shot +100, left orbit +200, left ramp +300, Tia Dalma +750. It behooves you to shoot harder shots first to get the benefit of the increase for the rest of the chapter.

You also get the increase associated with a character's shot if they're spotted, whether the spot is via Spot Character, because it's your chosen character, or a male/female spot from Angelica/Scrum. In some ways, this makes picking Tia Dalma even more attractive for her instant +750 any chapter she's in. Except of course your chapter multiplier increase is halved.

Finally, one of Henry's deals is he double-increases Skull values during chapters, so look out for that as well (so if you shoot Elizabeth during a chapter, the skull value is +600 after the shot).

Edit to add: Max skull score is 10K.

#1486 5 years ago
Quoted from evh347:

Good lord Keith, how do you come up with this stuff? How many points do I get for trying to retain this incredible ruleset in my own skull?

Well it's all there for you if you want to learn it, but you should be able to have fun with it without knowing the minutiae, too.

Quoted from iepinball:

Also have been wondering how difficult a (10,000x3)x36 setup would be. 1,080,000 point max chapter shot, if I'm not mistaken.

Not easy. Not even sure offhand who I'd use to do it.

You need a lot of PIRATE lanes, which would imply Pintel. Or more time to ensure you have both shot and super x going which would imply Carina. Or to ensure a high skull value, use Henry. Obviously Norrington and Tia Dalma are out due to lower chapter Xs.

You could make the collect even more horrific, however. You'd have to use Scrum, have a chapter with >1 female (not many, usually Tia Dalma + Elizabeth), then get the second female at 2x because of Scrum. If I fix shot x to include chapter start, you could hit 5.4M, lol (Scrum spots first female at 5x).

#1488 5 years ago
Quoted from JordanB:

(And on SE, you hit the starmap for an onscreen message, I presume, due to no starfield?)

It's not on-screen, it'll dim the lamps and flash the required shot/target white (all versions).

1 week later
#1753 5 years ago

If you want to see videos, you should also check out iepinball (Karl's) at https://www.twitch.tv/iepinball

We don't take ours down from twitch, we're just not l33t, so they get saved to youtube as already linked.

#1945 5 years ago
Quoted from JordanB:

Interesting that you went with the spelling "pYracy" -- I couldn't find any references to this spelling online, and the game is called "pIrates", after all.

From wikipedia:

The term first appeared in English c. 1300.[9] Spelling did not become standardised until the eighteenth century, and spellings such as "pirrot", "pyrate" and "pyrat" occurred until this period.

Quoted from JordanB:

I think the only drivers for extra ball are:
- map awards (not sure the randomness?)
- pirate lane awards (not sure what round?)
- constellation shots (random shots that collect the more you play?)

Constellation is still more or less a mystery to me. I don't get how the starmap gives any hints. I'm sure someone with some actual knowledge could clarify further.

The star display makes a "constellation" of what you should shoot. This is more or less revealed in the book when you make the shot.

Extra balls: random from map and Tortuga mystery (not very common), 10 + 50 constellations (default, adjustable), after 6 + 20 inlane completions (default, adjustable).

#2066 5 years ago

The water SHOULD be on the bottom like it's floating on water...?

#2301 5 years ago
Quoted from Hogbog:

Gold star for you. First time I've seen this one. We'll take a look Wednesday!

It's been fixed... I reproduced it immediately by restarting a game, it's less of a chance with codex disabled but can obviously happen.

1 week later
#2579 5 years ago
Quoted from roddog:

Has anyone figured out how the heck the "Spot Character" standup gets lit?

Shoot YOUR character's shot.

1 week later
#2833 5 years ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

Does anyone know what the negatives are for the characters yet? I've been told there are positives and negatives for each character but I can't find them.

If you do status report, you'll see the + and - on the first page.

#2899 5 years ago
Quoted from wheels:

What is the error log? Should I be paying any attention to it? I'm unable to even understand what it's saying.

Feel free to email or pm me a pic of it.

1 week later
#3043 5 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

there is no Kraken in the game or a related multiball, etc.

...other than wizard mode 2...

Quoted from KingBW:

Now think of the light show at the end of the game [CHOP]

I spent quite awhile on that sunset.

2 weeks later
#3510 5 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

The one thing that gets me with some regularity is when a ball travels back up the left in-lane, hits the gate and goes under it. I don't think there is a mechanical fix but it would be cool if the software recognized that neither of the in-lane switches above were triggered and gave your ball back. Even if only in single ball play.

... And you'd detect this... How?

#3637 5 years ago

Ones aren't wild in our game, though!

Yes, Walk Away means "I don't want to play."

#3692 5 years ago

The left post assist comes into play when you're playing a chapter that has an upper flipper shot (map hole/loop) and no other character is lit on the left orbit.

#3901 5 years ago

Btc is coming in 1.0. you will only need to have played all wizard modes, but probably winning them will make btc score higher. That's the current plan.

#3922 5 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Does winning them earn a specific award (artifact/treasure) that's used to multiply the scores in BTC?

It'll probably just be presented as "score level" like the other wizard modes do now.

Quoted from SheriffBarclay:

Now the ship will fully move during the ship test, but still barely moves/stops moving during the game.

There are game adjustments that control the minimum speed and sway, might want to check what those are set to as well. Maybe just take a picture?

2 weeks later
#5216 5 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

That meant I wasn't able to fire the cannon until the On Stranger Tides multiball animation ended and the action button came back online.

This is a bug in 0.98 and earlier, it has been fixed.

Quoted from NightTrain:

Just a minor coding suggestion. It would be nice if the cannon load door didn't close so quickly after not having a switch hit on the upper play field. More times than I can count, I'll have a ball up there (usually in a multiball) and that door closes because the ball had been flopping around up there and not hitting a switch. Then I shoot for the door and the damn thing is closed.

I'll think about it. The timeout only occurs in multiball (not single ball play), and is five seconds long.

Quoted from NightTrain:

Love the game man. Nice work.

We appreciate the kind words.

1 month later
#8625 4 years ago

Sure, why not.

==============================================================================
== Version 0.99 April 23, 2019 ==
==============================================================================

=== Game Code

* Updated some multiball jackpot assets.
* Slight improvement to wanted poster rendering.
* Changed and added HSTD wanted posters.
* Updated team credits.
* Fixed HSTD pages in attract mode and status report showing up if high
scores are set to off.
* Significantly reduce time Wizard Mode HSTDs are displayed in attract mode.
* HSTD posters now show during the first pass of attract mode then every 4
(was 4th pass then every 4).
* Fixed missing movie backgrounds.
* Fixed cannon not firing during major choreography events.
* Fixed issue with Dead Man's Chest multiball targets availability didn't
match up with current difficulty level.
* Fixed Elizabeth not always lighting 3 chapters.
+ Added hat/eye patch decorations to HSTD photos.
+ Added parrot and skull images to HSTD photos.
* Fixed an adjustment name for Black Pearl Multiball.
* Multiball totals now show up at multiball end, not after grace period.
* Fix potential lockup in HSTD picture face recognition.
* Reworked how game locks in your character if you don't select via action
button (basically, flips after ball leaves shooter lane don't count for
changing your character since they are probably accidental in that
regard).
* Left orbit chapter post helper now only works during grace period, not
grace grace.
* Update social media page.
* Compass shot names updated.
* Fix "Null award" showing up in Tortuga Mystery.
+ Added an Easter Egg to turn off plundering for next game. The sequence
is: BLRLLRR where B = both flippers at the same time, L = left flipper,
R = right flipper. If you do it a second time, it will re-enable
plundering. Plundering is automatically re-enabled at game end.
* Map awards are now competition-friendly. They will be awarded, in order,
as follows:
- Points (starting order: 10K, 20K, 30K, 10K, 25K, 20K, 40K, 10K)
- Add-a-ball
- Light gold (starting order: 10, 20, 30, 40, 10, 20, 50)
- Treasure (starting order: 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 1, 3)
- Bonus X (almost always 1, sometimes 2)
- Award gold (starting order: 10, 20, 30, 40, 10, 20, 50, 30, 10)
- Playfield X (if running, add 1x sometimes 2x; not, 2x, 3x, 2x, 4x)
The item first in list is awarded. If it's not currently allowed, then
the next award is tried. When an award is finally selected and awarded,
it goes to the end of the list.
- Plundering takes precedence over normal Map awards. Whatever the game
is set to, the game will approximately try to match that percentage when
it is available (not in a multiball). If the game is set for CUTTHROAT
(65%), then plundering tries will be successful as follows: NYNYYNYY
- Plundering is still subject to the Plunder Items adjustment. If
everything is allowed, then they will be awarded in relative ratios:
- 1. 5x gold (starting order: 30, 40, 50, 30, 20, 40, 60)
- 2. 4x points (starting order: 30K, 20K, 30K, 10K, 40K)
- 3. 3x treasure
- 4. 2x captain
- 5. 1x ball
A typical distribution would look like: 123124132112345
- If a selected item isn't currently available because of game state, then
that plunder chance is lost for that Map award and it will fall back to
a normal award.
- In competition mode, revenge plunder chances ALWAYS succeed.
* Extra Ball unavailable score set to 25K.
* Special points score set to 50K.
* Tortuga Mystery only scores points during competition mode now. This will
change very soon. Points scored are based on mystery level. Jack
increases the effective level of award by 1. Scores per level are:
1K / 1K / 2.5K / 2.5K / 5K / 5K / 10K / 10K / 25K / 25K
* You're own your own if you choose to play Liar's Dice in competition mode.

=== Core Code

* Added some system events to event logger.
* Fixed potential display lockup in rare circumstances.
* Start button dispatches on close in diag now instead of open.
* Fixed rare texture overruns in movies.
* Trough test enhanced.
+ Switch test now supports reflective optos.
+ Added some more error logging.
* Fixed a camera crash that could occur during factory reset or turn on the
camera disabled adjustment.
* Rollunder gate debounce time adjusted.
* Fixed ball accounting after ball search 4 (could possibly go too high).
* Abandoned devices now don't count as having released balls during ball
search.
* Version string of game now includes dongle flags and game trim level.
* Game won't refuse to start with missing camera files now.

=== OS

* Fixed an incorrect updater screen.
+ Support for Gen3 & Gen4 motherboards.
* Better display handling.
* Avoid thumb drive "corruption" after an update.
+ Starting with drives imaged from this version, ISOs will be able to save
system data (audits, adjustments, high scores, etc.). This happens by
default if the system detects a compatible existing version. It is
possible to reset factory defaults by following on-screen instructions
during imaging.
- Note this means the first time you install this version, your existing
drive will NOT be compatible, so you'll need to backup settings manually
if you want to keep them.

#8637 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

When is this going to be available for download

Probably day or two.

Quoted from rs812:

Darn! No shaker effect for sinking the dauntless. Maybe next update

There's one in the code but something's wrong. It's high on the list to be sure.

#8640 4 years ago
Quoted from GrandFireball1:

Will any more changes be made to what the characters do?

The only one under consideration at the moment is Weatherby Swann. Pretty happy with the balance of the rest of them.

Quoted from PinMonk:

Were you able to work the ball per game onto the pricing screen?

No but it's on a list to work into all games.

#8793 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Never seen the ball pop up

On the white wood, it constantly flew out of there unfortunately.

#8810 4 years ago

mtp78 it's a full install so you need to boot with the stick already in the game when you turn it on.

#8928 4 years ago
Quoted from cheshirefilms:

Side note- Weatherby Swann is useless in a one player game. Perhaps he could allow the player to use the lockdown button to control the stopping of the map award wheel, like a slot machine?

There's no plot justification for that, unlike pretty much every other power in the game.

He's getting changed, don't worry...

1 week later
#9273 4 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

Character you select, should all have a minus traits? I know that Keefer is a master of balancing, something in me just wants all the characters to have a minus traits.

Appreciate the kind words... It was always meant to be a bonus for a particular area or style of play, originally started off as just the 5 or 6 main characters. As time went on and we wound up with the chapter concept, it was taken as a challenge if we could get everyone called out in the game to be interesting. With such varied options, the occasional negative became necessary, but definitely not everyone warrants it.

Anyway, here's where we're at now. Bolded lines are changes since v0.99.

potc_character_update_3 (resized).jpgpotc_character_update_3 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#9456 4 years ago

Loop logic is getting reworked a little in 1.0, should be more accurate for center loops (inner loop enter gets missed sometimes, not sure why). As far as starting OST, you can cancel the animation immediately and still cash in skill shot. This behavior is unlikely to change.

#9516 4 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Cutler Beckett's advantage is that he makes grabbing gold easier, but you ONLY get 1/2 the gold's value.

Just to be clear here, the point penalty is in end of ball bonus, not in gold counting toward Tortuga. The amount of gold towards Tortuga is the same as everyone else.

Also opportunity cost of gold collection points which can be not insignificant after awhile (especially with Marty).

#9673 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I upped the ball count to 4/game and put the ball counts (3) on the other machine price cards so n00bs could see they were getting one more ball per game at the higher price. People seem to be accepting the bump in price with an extra ball included and jjPotC is killing it on earnings.

Good to hear. Coming soon to all games...

potc_game_length (resized).jpgpotc_game_length (resized).jpg
#9971 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

The extra ball shot is really only for that as far as I know. If it isn’t lit, I don’t try.

If you hit the shot clean (whether extra ball is lit or not) it'll increase all bumpers (and hence the mystery award) by 1 level.

#10155 4 years ago

Mostly I lost the genetic lottery in terms of family heart disease history and being type 1 diabetic for 32 years which led to a heart attack.

but-im-feeling-much-better-now (resized).jpgbut-im-feeling-much-better-now (resized).jpg
#10290 4 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Does anyone know if the CE came with a certificate or not?

With real wax stamp!

#10368 4 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

He however also gets his total multiplier cut in half as well. So if you qualify 5 chapters your only gettign a 1.5 multiplier instead of 3. This effectivly means if Im going for points (by qualifying multiple chapters) my chapter shots are scoring 1/4 and 1/8.

That's not what that means. Norrington's penalty is reflected via the multiplier. You are not double penalized.

2 weeks later
#10877 4 years ago

Guys, the modes are selected by the last target you hit (the color in front of the insert). You have to hit one of those targets to start a chapter. While it's bouncing around, the side rubbers rotate the lights. It's all based on physical action.

Note this generally means the last thing you qualified is more likely to start because of how it assigns the lights.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Wanted
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

24,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinball_keefer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club?tu=pinball_keefer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.