(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,875 posts
  • 633 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 24 hours ago by Mrsiyufy
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
20240330_165232 (resized).jpg
POTC_Mods_annotated (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 12.02.54 PM (resized).png
17117301082711484468150429261795 (resized).jpg
20240329_160033 (resized).jpg
431321214_1110342276953195_8816628931148154685_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240204_044856660.MP (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240203-170723 (resized).png
PXL_20240128_214506994 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240128_224833483.MP (resized).jpg
IMG_0980 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0982 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0981 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #222 Liar's Dice rules explained! Posted by goren1818 (5 years ago)

Post #644 Rules flow chart Posted by Rbviessman (5 years ago)

Post #1021 How to fix black pearl lamps Posted by Yelobird (5 years ago)

Post #1360 Black Pearl flippers are uneven when in upper position - Fix Posted by evh347 (5 years ago)

Post #2468 Hardware fix for balls getting hung up during multiball. Posted by Pinballpal (5 years ago)

Post #2892 Adjustment for auto plunger not hitting balls cleanly or correctly Posted by Pinballpal (5 years ago)

Post #3974 Deadflip stream from Valentine’s Day 2019. Posted by Tuna_Delight (5 years ago)

Post #4014 POTC trouble shooting guide Posted by zaphX (5 years ago)

Post #4856 Possibly let distributor go through machine and get it tuned in. Posted by dgposter (5 years ago)

Post #6315 Fix for dauntless positioning, canon shots not landing Posted by Yelobird (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phoenixpin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2359 5 years ago

I think the code is a masterpiece but that said it would be great to give the user a bit more options in preferences, as there are many players that don't love the "everything can stack" rules and would want them separated so that modes and multiballs can be appreciated more fully. What do you all think of the following?

1. allow options in user settings to change stackability of modes and multiballs:
Can modes be started during a multiball?
- Yes (default)
- No

Can a movie multiball be started during an already playing movie multiball?
- Yes (default)
- No

2. allow option in user settings to change chapter rules of qualifying a wizard mode:
Wizard mode requires 5 chapters to be:
- Played (default)
- Completed

1 week later
#2582 5 years ago

Just bought my LE (first pin!) and am excited to join the group! Crossing fingers I won’t have some of the issues posted here, but I appreciate everyone here that offers so much help to each other to make sure everything works smoothly.

I am blown away by how great this game is and can’t wait for it to arrive.

Re: a question asked above about play field protectors etc, I have a similar question. If there is anything you all think I should do to the game to maintain it in great condition before I start playing, please let me know!

1 week later
#2883 5 years ago

Just wanted to say a few things about my new POTC:
- everything worked 100% right out the box. I’d reiterate what others have said: this is a great and needed thread for problem shooting, but it’s likely the case the majority of owners have had no problems.
- imo, the game is one of the best of all time. It’s got amazing code, really deep in a good way for home use. Layout is fantastic, with opportunity for flow but also stop and shoot for those thinking through a strategy. Mechs that bring the magic to pinball like it should be. It’s been a hit for multiplayer, but also great playing alone. Incredible replay value. I couldn’t give a higher recommendation for it.

3 weeks later
#3404 5 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

I seem to be having a problem loading the cannon. I get it ready, light fuse arrows lit. then I hit the shot but the gate Isn't up. I lowered the glass and pushed on top the coil and it sure enough it was not even trying to hold, so I hit the load cannon target again and it opened I put the glass back on continued to play
but noticed the light fuse arrow was no longer on?? I didn't think there was a time limit for loading the cannon ? any Ideas would be appreciated thanks

I had a similar problem where the load cannon gate would not open at all and the coil wasn’t firing. Turned out the problem was purely mechanical: the metal gate was stuck inside the tunnel for the shot, and simply had to be pried back out. Then the tunnel was bent slightly so this wouldn’t happen again.

#3405 5 years ago

Separate rules related question (possible bug?): I was in movie 4 wizard mode. Once I started wizard mode I noticed Tortuga Multiball was lit. So I figured I’d go for it and it would get me a ton of points with the wizard mode. When I started Tortuga though, the Wizard mode ended and when I was out of multiball it was gone. Anyone else noticed this?

1 week later
#4104 5 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

So anyone here by chance have this pin and love it, maybe has or had a woz and loved it, but had a Hobbit and thought it was a huge disappointment? How do you rate it compared to the other JJP titles?

- I think POTC is the greatest pinball of all time
- I do not like the Hobbit.
- I am only lukewarm on WOZ - I wish it shot better and also I’ve never understood the rules despite somehow learning all the rules on POTC. But I never owned WOZ and only played it in arcades.

#4317 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Last night I played Fountain of Youth wizard. Hit all the colored shots ("killing" the people on the screen), then it was just over. Did it time out...or was there something else I was supposed to be doing? If not, it was a huge disappointment. I thought there may be stages to get through. I really didn't get that many points (even less points then previous attempts at it). I also wish there was a bit of a pause to look at the instructions on the screen before the mode starts.

Yup I’ve made it to the wizard modes separately and have noticed bugs with them like you describe. I think it’s just early code at this point.

#4349 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Just setup my game. So far all seems good but I think the door to the canon shot may not be working.
Tried coil test #72 and nothing happens, but I do hear a faint noise. I assume the door should open and close in this test?
Any ideas?

I had a similar problem. It turned out not to be electrical at all. The metal door just got smushed in the canon shot lane, and had to be pried out of there physically. The coil wouldn’t fire either.

#4467 5 years ago
Quoted from philsublime:

Rules question: Sometimes I have to requalify for chapters after a drain. Sometimes the qualified chapters stay lit. Why is that?

- if you lose a ball during a mode, when you next plunge there will be nothing qualified
- if you lose a ball between modes, the skulls you’ve already lit should remain lit on the next plunge, and if there were any lit then Chapter Start should be ready as well

#4468 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Leaning towards ordering a Pirates LE this week but have some code related questions.
Do the 5 movie wizard modes in Pirates play like those in other Keith Johnson games such as LOTR, WOZ, and TH in the sense of them being two ball multiballs that work the entire playfield in interesting ways? Do some or all of the wizard modes have multiple stages? Sounds like none of them have a big set piece moment currently when they are completed? By set piece moment I mean the machine going nuts, flippers killed, etc when a wizard mode is completed. Hopefully that is added in a future code update.
Also, can the games multiballs be beat or do you just keep hitting jackpot shots until one ball remains?
I know there's gameplay videos out there of the wizard modes being played but I want to avoid seeing and reading details about them.

- the 5 movie wizard modes are single ball wizard modes. Though they are still early code, they are awesome wizard modes that work the playfield in different ways. I like the balance of single ball wizard modes, given the numerous Multiballs already in the game
- some have multiple stages but aren’t fully coded yet (I think movie 4 wizard mode, for example)
- no set piece moment as you describe that I have seen
- Multiballs cannot be ‘beat’. Though the value in getting as many super jackpots as you can is that it makes the wizard mode associated with that same Multiball pathway more valuable if you can get to it.

#4528 5 years ago
Quoted from arcadem:

What are you people expecting re. the POTC movies? Citizen Kane? They are just light hearted, tongue in cheek, romps meant as nothing more than amusing adventure themed diversions. If you can't enjoy them as nothing more than that, it is your loss.

I hear Deeproot is making Citizen Kane the pinball. Rosebud is the wizard mode where you have to go back in time to save your sled.

#4545 5 years ago
Quoted from Heater:

forgive me if it's been asked. In Liars Dice, what is betting souls all about (besides from the movie)!

I can’t figure this one out yet either but I am curious

#4592 5 years ago
Quoted from Heater:

I dont know what’s wrong with me but I cannot for the life of me figure out the constellations. Has anyone tried dumbing them down? Anyone know some good settings for the star field that will help?

What I did was every time I hit a constellation by accident (I listened for the chime to come on) I then looked up at the animation. The animation displayed the pattern more clearly, and then in the future I noted what the constellation looked like on the star field and eventually after repeating this a lot I figured it out. I suppose a nice thing for one of us to do would be to create a gallery of pics corresponding the constellations to the shots. But it’s also fun to figure them all out on my own.

#5001 5 years ago

Hey all,

I'd like to give some context to Kaneda and POTC... I was the one that went with him to Sunshine Laundromat to play it on location and show him why in my opinion it is one of the greatest, if not the greatest, pinball machines out there. I have a perfectly set up game at home. I was visiting NYC for work and figured I could seamlessly transition to playing with him at this location game. I was dead wrong.

The game was so poorly set up and was such a different experience than I am used to at home. Here are a list of the issues it had on location:
- flippers were ridiculously weak so shots just could not be made. Almost all ramp shots would go halfway up the ramp and come back STDM.
- set up as steep as possible, with the bubble on the highest mark, so that the balls could not make it up either ramp
- 90% of shots to the chest were rejected, partly due to the weak flippers and also due to a problem with the fork mechanism
- could not hear any music/call outs, and the external volume button was turned off on the settings.
- multiballs were two balls instead of three (I couldn't figure this out because I don't even think this is a setting)
- when the ball rolled down the left orbit over the left flipper, it did not roll along the guide and instead was already off the wall. Whereas I can normally loop 5 shots at home through the Fountain of Youth shot, here we could barely make one loop. It also meant it was hard to hit the MAP hole, and so there was only a single time we were able to plunder.
- the action button did not work, such that I could not change the Pirate inlane awards nor collect gold. Big part of the game was missed here. No arrr frenzy. No strategy on setting up playfield multipliers etc. No tortuga multiball.
- at home, when the ball comes out of the depths scoop, I usually hold up the left flipper and it hops to the right flipper, which has a great visceral feel to it. Here that didn't work either and would instead go into the right sling.
- plunger was offset, and maximal plunge would make it at most to the ship skill shot, rather than to the left upper flipper. Literally not one plunge would get there.
- cannon shot rejected, I believe because the target ship was stuck against the left side of the game and possible due to the steep angle of the game
- spinning disk did not much change the ball trajectory, not sure why. At home it is a fun randomizer. Here it really did feel just ornamental.
- no ball saver, so the combination of all the above problems led to many quick ball drains

I'm a pretty decent player and regularly score a million points at home, start most of the multiballs, and make it to at least one mini-wizard mode every 5-6 games, but on this POTC neither of us could get above 70,000. Friends come over my house and love the game. It just wasn't possible to make the shots and progress through the game at Sunshine. We played about 20 times, and only could start a multiball twice: once as a mystery award and the other because of repeated skill shots to the ship. I know these rules inside and out at this point but could only talk about them rather than demonstrate them in action, let alone work through the dynamic layers of strategy that come alive when you progress through the game normally.

To Kaneda's credit, he tried to come in with an open mind and give the game a chance. If I was being intellectually honest I would say that if my main experience with POTC was that particularly machine I would also think 'this is no fun'. It was honestly an eye opening lesson for me that to most pinball fans, our impression of a game is inevitably dependent on how well the particular machine is set up, particularly our view of the shots and code and mechs. I've honestly never seen such a poorly set up new game on location, and I must admit that the other Stern games there were working pretty darn well. I'm not sure if that is unfortunate coincidence, or just the reality of Stern building their games to play well on location. It is possible that POTC is just a difficult game to have on location, and is best appreciated in the home setting.

#5016 5 years ago
Quoted from VZSpyder:

Is this a reflection of Sunshine's maintenance and setup capabilities? Your experience is something I would expect from a neglected machine sitting in a 2nd-tier hotel "arcade", not a premier, dedicated pinball parlor.
Also, I would guess that the map disc felt like it had no effect due to the playfield steepness.

I’d say about 5 of their games (a minority) don’t play well: Beatles has a broken drop target, medieval madness has weak flippers that can’t make ramps plus a few lights are out, I forget the others. Otherwise the other games play well.

#5137 5 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

Still getting into my new game and trying to figure out the game play. What am I supposed to be shooting when I am on the Black Pearl? Is the main objective to shoot the spinners? Is it so many spins of the spinners that open the door to load the cannon or something else?
Thanks
Gerry

Ship has one main task and two side tasks as I see it...

Fire cannon
Step 1: hit certain number of spinners
Step 2: hit either green LOAD or CANNON target
Step 3: hit the cannon door

Two side tasks
- hit BONUS and X targets to light a stand up on main playfield for your bonus X (first one 2x, then goes up)
- hit SPOT and GOLD targets to light the GOLD targets on main playfield so that more gold can be collected the next time you hit that main playfield shot

1 week later
#5691 5 years ago

My go to character is Norrington, because I blaze through the chapters that way and that gets me to the wizard modes every few games. Plus it increases your scoring potential during those wizard modes because you collect a bunch of characters. I honestly assumed everyone was using Norrington too!

I also find that the easiest way to qualify modes is hit through the chest lane, then make the loop through fountain of youth, then let bounce off right flipper to the left and shoot the chapter start. So movie 3 and 4 wizard modes are the most often qualified for me.

4 weeks later
#7433 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Oh man that's tough. It's hard because wonka is new so it gets weighted higher. But if I think about it a bit and really have to choose, it's Wonka, then JJPOTC, then WOZ.
Wonka Layout beats JJPOTC layout due to the constant smooth flow. You can feed ramp to flipper to ramp to flipper to orbit to flipper to ramp, etc. That puts a grin on your face. The geometry is awesome. JJPOTC has that amazing upper PF and wonka doesn't.
But Wonka has the gobstopper toy which we all thought was really cool, but looks meh when you're watching it online. Hitting the target is fun, and when the floor below turns to reveal the hole and you hit the same target again to go into the hole and lock the ball, the the floor turns again, it's a cool trick and fun. It reminds me of TOM spinning chest which is cool. But, JJPOTC has that canon shot which is always a crowd pleaser.
The wonkavator shot takes some work to qualify, and when you do, the shot is not easy. But when you hit it, it feels AWESOME - looping from top left flipper all the way to the right, orbit up and around, and the boom into the wonkavator. I want MORE. And the top right flipper to middle ramp shot feels great, one of my favorite shots on the PF. And that diverter to magnet to upper left flipper is a cool trick to line up more shots. The rainbow of colors during certain modes and multiballs is visually perfect, especially the tiny dots of "candy". The wonkavision is a cool trick when you hit the ramp and a bright light comes on shining at you as the camera "sucks" you in, displays you on the screens etc. I've heard that part is still getting more to it in future code as well.
Given the code was only 60% on the machines we played for Wonka, I can't see how this won't be a huge hit. While JJPOTC has a cooler toy in the ship PF and canon and has satisfying shots and lots to aim for, the overall gameplay on Wonka is even better.

I was underwhelmed by the stream too, and that made me debate getting Wonka vs AC/DC as my second pin, but your post leans me back to Wonka.

6 months later
#12558 4 years ago
Quoted from Navystan:

OK, I'm trolling...if someone want's to mix it up and trade your POTC for a NOB Jurassic Park LE (just a few days old), I'm your guy in Northern VA. PM if that's you!

I have a two game collection with exactly those two games! Pirates and Dinosaurs, love them both!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 38.00
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

29,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phoenixpin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club?tu=phoenixpin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.