(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 12,952 posts
  • 476 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 21 minutes ago by Rdoyle1978
  • Topic is favorited by 221 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,273 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

1 (resized).jpg
2 (resized).jpg
IMG_0077 (002) (resized).jpg
678A8AC9-EEFD-414A-8CF4-2A19FF9FB727 (resized).jpeg
127996A1-64F7-4385-BDA3-AC6B165DBA5F (resized).jpeg
42E58E05-D832-427D-9962-7BA05CDAAAA7 (resized).jpeg
229BD32B-9F41-4BE1-BFC5-CD723A59520C (resized).jpeg
98407DFF-5970-457D-8285-8D2EE942AD28 (resized).jpeg
3972995E-AE77-4A6F-BB41-463E01C2DC29 (resized).jpeg
469B3A96-B426-4162-BA85-78056D5D8A28 (resized).jpeg
1FD43333-D654-432F-AD2A-1784E352FE3B (resized).jpeg
034B0BD6-4A3B-40B8-8A68-6D475A859FD1 (resized).jpeg
20191015_163622 (resized).jpg
20191015_163716 (resized).jpg
20191015_163605 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191104_132723 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #222 Liar's Dice rules explained! Posted by goren1818 (1 year ago)

Post #644 Rules flow chart Posted by Rbviessman (1 year ago)

Post #1021 How to fix black pearl lamps Posted by Yelobird (11 months ago)

Post #1360 Black Pearl flippers are uneven when in upper position - Fix Posted by evh347 (11 months ago)

Post #2468 Hardware fix for balls getting hung up during multiball. Posted by Pinballpal (10 months ago)

Post #2892 Adjustment for auto plunger not hitting balls cleanly or correctly Posted by Pinballpal (10 months ago)

Post #3974 Deadflip stream from Valentine’s Day 2019. Posted by Tuna_Delight (8 months ago)

Post #4014 POTC trouble shooting guide Posted by zaphX (8 months ago)

Post #4856 Possibly let distributor go through machine and get it tuned in. Posted by dgposter (8 months ago)

Post #6315 Fix for dauntless positioning, canon shots not landing Posted by Yelobird (7 months ago)

Post #6631 Twitch Video - How to Remove and Reinstall Black Pearl Upper Playfield Posted by KevInBuffalo (7 months ago)

Post #6655 Mylar bubble at jjPotC Map hole. Posted by thc666 (7 months ago)

Post #6834 Titan ring sizes Posted by AUKraut (7 months ago)

Post #8145 Positives and Negatives for each character Posted by EaglePin (6 months ago)

Post #8288 Rubber Sizing and Location on Playfield Posted by f3honda4me (6 months ago)

Post #8602 How to see pictures the game has taken Posted by f3honda4me (6 months ago)

Post #8625 Version .99 release notes as of 5/6/2019 Posted by pinball_keefer (6 months ago)

Post #8709 How to backup settings before installing an update Posted by LTG (6 months ago)

Post #9273 Version .99 Character Plus and Minus Benefits Posted by pinball_keefer (5 months ago)

Post #11892 Clear concise video on removing the black pearl Posted by rlslick (82 days ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider philsublime.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3765 9 months ago

My LE should arrive next week. Hope everything goes well and I don't have too many problems out of the box.

#3768 9 months ago
Quoted from PsychoPsonic:

Folks should buy with confidence. At this point a lot of previous production issues are resolved, and anything else is pretty minor and likely documented here. Support is excellent too.

Mine comes from Germany and so it probably sits there since some time. Probably out of the earlier production runs. But I am confident. The place I bought it from is also unboxing and checking the games before shipping. So I'm not worried at all.

#3780 9 months ago

Excellent!
I had played 9 balls on location before it arrived, and the rest of my house had never played it. I look forward to seeing posts from new owners about how much you're enjoying it. It's a truly special game, and you have an amazing treat in store!

You know I received a flyer for the game some time ago when I bought another machine. My 2 year old boy always walks around with this flyer. He even takes it to bed. Whenever I ask him about it, he tells me "pirate pinball machine". Then I tell him that we don't have room and he takes my hand, walks me straight into his room and shows me where he wants to put it. No joke...

So I guess somebody is in for a suprise next week The only drawback for him is, that it won't be in his room...

#3886 8 months ago
Quoted from wesman:

Wasn't the Hobbit on the line multiple times? I can't imagine POTC not being again with a new edition when stock dries up, WOZ is done again, and it might move to the second line as a new pin moves to the first line.

I'm no expert, but with WOZ again on the line and two new games for 2019, it might be tough to find a spot. Also, I read somewhere that they are out of certain parts. Just imagine TS and WW really selling well and another new game in 2020... I'm sure there will be another production run sooner or later though.

What I think is funny, that the LEs are not numbered in sequence. So just because someone has a LE Nr. 999 doesn't mean that there have been 999 games produced. So it's possible that not all LEs have actually been produced. Also I wonder how many SEs have been made. The SEs are probably the toughest to sell.

#3950 8 months ago

Is it possible to release the soundtrack? I love the soundtrack and it would be awesome to listen to it when not playing.

#3955 8 months ago

They are on this forum and do read what we post but I don‘t think they will comment on this.

#4209 8 months ago

Finally got my game yesterday. I'm super happy with it. LE number 554. I had zero issues, except one. I will explain in the next post.

POTC2 (resized).jpegPOTC1 (resized).jpegPOTC3 (resized).jpeg
#4210 8 months ago

I had one issue with my new POTC LE. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong here. When I pulled out the playfield, it got stuck. I noticed one of the wire harness leading up to the backbox got tangled up behind the plastic on the first picture. Of course I had to pull quite a bit to be able to reach it and untangle it. I lowered the backbox to check if everything is allright and I noticed I had a lot of strain on the right wire harness. To the point where I could almost not lower the backbox. The problem is, that whenever I push the playfield back in, the harness gets tangled up behind that plastic. It's hard to take a picture, but you can see what I mean on the next few pics.

Can you confirm, that on your machines the harness rests on the same side of the cartboard covering up the powerline?

Of course you don't lower the backbox everyday, but I would feel much better knowing those harnesses are set as they are supposed to when pushing back the playfield.

POTC5 (resized).jpgPOTC6 (resized).jpegPOTC4 (resized).jpeg
#4219 8 months ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Very glad to hear it!!! Out of curiosity what is your build date?
I’m not quite following the harness issue you mentioned. Pics are hard to discern.

From memory it's 13 October.

I think my limited english skills make it hard to explain. The dark pics probably don't help. I'll try to make the pics brighter and paint on them. Is it called harness? The bundle of cables covered with a black plastic hose? I think when I push back the playfield in order to put the glass back on, it somehow gets tangled up with the plastic piece from the Black Pearl VUK. It then puts strain on the cables when you lower the backbox or it prevents the playfield from easily slide back when you need to work on it. I'm not sure why this happens.

Better pics coming later. Appreciate the help.

#4272 8 months ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Anyone have some good settings for the LE monitor?
At default settings I find the LE monitor is a bit washed out looking.
The monitor in the CE appears to be a different product, and is much more colorful at default settings.
I have monitor envy

I need to change my settings as well. Looks a bit washed out. Are the settings directly on the monitor? Can't find it in the menus.

#4289 8 months ago

Pull the monitor out from the backbox so you can access the physical controls on the back of the monitor.
Ideally you want stuff intended to be dark to look dark, while still being able to see details in dark areas of the image. By default brightness is likely turned way up on your physical monitor, so it looks washed out.
It's definitely worth the minute or two it takes to dial in those settings. I was able to achieve what I think was a noticeable improvement in image quality with little trouble.
It would be cool if in the menu they included a reference image to help you set the monitor brightness, like in a horror video game. "Set brightness so this line in the series is just barely visible and the next dimmer one is just barely invisible in the black."

Thanks. Doesn‘t have the greatest effect to be honest. Picture looks almost the same no matter if I set brightness to 1 or to 99.

#4311 8 months ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

Is yours an “older” model with HDMI or a “newer” one with DVI? I highly doubt there are any quality deficiencies with the older HDMI models. Maybe they just need some fine tuning?
I only commented because the question was brought up regarding monitor type based on model (SE, LE, CE).
Maybe someone from JJP can comment on the details of the monitor type change.

Mine is made in October and it has hdmi. Looks washed out and fine tuning on the monitor doesn‘t really have any effect. A bit of a bummer...

#4373 8 months ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I find that if you calibrate the app on a flat surface it's actually pretty darn accurate. Plus it's great when you're on all fours trying to level having him/her tell you when you can crawl out lol. After all, we can have the ocean splashing out of that awesome pirate adventure! Enjoy that great game!

I tried it and it works well, I think. I now have a discrepancy between the bubble on the game and the results from the app. I plays great though, so I'll just leave it as it is.

#4374 8 months ago

So my experience playing the game so far. I'm still dialing it in, but it works pretty smooth now. At first I hated the game. It didn't feel right and it didn't feel like the game I played on location which made me buy one. But this is what happpens. I started actually playing it. No more toying around but really playing. With time I learned the shots better and today it suddenly opened up. Man, what a game. Once you get a few multiballs going it pulls you in like nothing else. It's totally awesome. On my Ghostbusters I had that feeling maybe on 1 out of 20 games. With Pirates it's 1 out of 3 games. It's such a rush. And I barely scratched the surface when it comes to code. For me it's by far the best pinball experience I've ever had.

Sorry, just needed to post that...

#4381 8 months ago
Quoted from Schabs81:

Ok been dialing mine in notice in two diffrent games even though I didnt shoot cannon I've gotten black pearl mb that right or do I have a switch?

I think you can advance BP MB by doing the BP VUK skillshot. I guess if you do that multiple times you can start the multiball without actually shooting the cannon.

#4384 8 months ago

Yes

#4386 8 months ago
Quoted from gliebig:

What qualifies multi ball starts? I had a game last night that I was starting mb after mb after mb ...
Seems a bit too easy to start them

Depends on the multiball. If you have long balltimes you will start some of them sooner or later. It's described really well in the manual.

#4391 8 months ago

My Octobre 2018 build doesn't have any issues. Some tweaks were necessary, but no issues.

#4428 8 months ago
Quoted from skyrex:

Thanks for the feedback. I am opening it up to install some mods my wife ordered and I will take a look at it. Possible I just never noticed it move.

Mine does barely move. The coils works but it's basically always open. Need to look into this...

But I have a much bigger problem. On my machine the spinning disc is not level. The axle is crooked, which makes it impossible to adjust it for a smooth transition between playfield and disc. Has anyone encountered this? I was thinking about putting washers under one or two of the screws on the spinning map gland nut. Is there a better option?

For now I have set the disc such as the ball won't hurt the playfield, but the raised edge of the disc starts showing some wear...

#4443 8 months ago
Quoted from FlippinJB:

This happened to me again today, with 2 balls in the lock. Checked the thread, and there doesn't seem to be a resolution aside from to adjust the mechanism. I wondered whether anyone had any success with this, and how exactly they adjusted the mechanism. Would increasing the coil strength be a good recommendation? This could be a good addition for the brilliant http://tinyurl.com/potcfixes doc.
Interestingly, the game went into ball search (which then timed out the chapter I was playing rather well at the time) and after a few searches, it ended my ball! After shouting, "Oh fiddlesticks" I let the next ball start, and at this point the game got rather confused. It managed to eject a ball from the lock, which I drained eventually, and then it just sat there for a bit. Then it released the other ball which I continued playing (badly).

I noticed that when you start the next game during the character match, the balls stay in the lock. If you have balls in the lock, you need to wait for the game over screen for them to be released. Maybe this helps...

Probably something that could be corrected with a software update.

#4444 8 months ago

Rules question: Sometimes I have to requalify for chapters after a drain. Sometimes the qualified chapters stay lit. Why is that?

#4485 8 months ago
Quoted from phoenixpin:

- if you lose a ball during a mode, when you next plunge there will be nothing qualified
- if you lose a ball between modes, the skulls you’ve already lit should remain lit on the next plunge, and if there were any lit then Chapter Start should be ready as well

Thanks. So it's basically just a bit more punishment if you loose the ball during a chapter.

Wouldn't it be better to have a thread about technical issues and a separate thread about rules questions? At the moment it's all mixed together here. But mostly it's technical stuff...

#4492 8 months ago
Quoted from gliebig:

The square multi ball indicators above the flippers have small rectangular lights above them. What do those represent?

These are for the wizard modes. Not that I ever had one light up though...

#4575 8 months ago
Quoted from lapean111:

Hey guys, thanks for all the info! Got the Pearl flipper sorted, now balls won't release from the chest...anyone run into this?

When mb starts or at the end of a game? At the end of a game you need to wait for the game over screen for them to be released.

#4580 8 months ago
Quoted from lapean111:

It's always. I can hear the coil trying to activate, but the balls don't come out.

Maybe the balls got magnitized? Are you using original balls?

#4645 8 months ago

After 100 games played I have quite a few dimples. I don't care. I bought the game to play it. On my game the dimples are evenly dispersed and not concentrated in one area. All good for me.

Maybe I do it like zaphX and buy a spare pf to have peace of mind...

#4646 8 months ago

The soundtrack they did is incredible. Fits the game perfectly and doesn't get boring.

#4751 8 months ago

So I have everything dialed in. One thing I'm not sure whether it's right or not is the Devils Triangle exit. The ball goes to the top of the left slingshot and bounces to the right slingshot. Kind of hard to control... Is this supposed to be that way or should it feed to the left flipper?

#4753 8 months ago
Quoted from cbdarden:

It should feed to the left flipper.

I thought as much but I have problems getting it right. Took away the mountain and plastic and tried to bend it. Once I put the screw back in it's all like before... Where do you bend? Has anyone experience with it?

#4756 8 months ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Remove that guide rail. Dremel the hole for the bottom screw a wee bit bigger to the left. Bend the rail and reinstall.

I'll try that. Thanks. Already made a scratch in the clearcoat with that rail... Next time I use a towel as protection. Is the gate from the spinner supposed to lie nice and flat on the rail? Mine was a little bit at an angle...

#4764 8 months ago

If the left loom is too far to the right, it might prevent the target ship from moving properly. Happened to me.

#4772 8 months ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Remove that guide rail. Dremel the hole for the bottom screw a wee bit bigger to the left. Bend the rail and reinstall.

Sorry, first time I need to dremel something on a playfield. Are you using a dedicated dremel machine or just a drilling machine with a dremel. Also, you say to the left. It's to the right, no? Looking from a player perspective. I mean the goal is to bend the bottom of the flap to the right so the ball gets deflected more to the right so it can pass the sling and go to the flipper, right?

#4809 8 months ago
Quoted from WolfManCat:

Thanks for posting this. Mine was acting the same way and I didnt question it. After reworking the guide wall it feeds to the flippers more consistantly.

But how did you do it? I don't get it to work...

#4810 8 months ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Well you're looking to move the rail to the right, so you need to elongate the screw hole to the left. This way there is room to move the rail to the left? Follow me?

Thanks. But the screw is right at the end of the lane and there's nothing left to bend. Or are you talking about the 2nd screw?

#4815 8 months ago

Another thing I found out. When you turn off the pro tips in between balls, the bonus animation backscreen is black. Probably a bug?

Not with ecery screen, but most...

#4819 8 months ago

Does everyone else have this rattlesnake kind of sound effect all the time? Is that supposed to sound like that? Kind of annoying...

#4821 8 months ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Gonna need a video to understand what you mean.
There is kind of a boiiing sound when you get a ball on the Pearl?
Does it happen with the volume all the way down?

Hope you can hear it. is it supposed to be coins maybe?

It happens all the time during gameplay as well. But I never hear coins dropping.

#4823 8 months ago

Oh man, listening to your game it seems like I have half the soundeffects missing. And that rattling sound is not an effect I hear on your video. Now what could that be...?

#4828 8 months ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I am probably not hearing what you are but it kind of sounds like the treble is dialed Way up and the bass sounds way down?

I think that's just bad audio recording. It's that noise right after the coil noise when you switch characters. It's also during gameplay on some occasions. I do have 0.98 installed.

#4829 8 months ago

I think I'm going for a full new install. Must be software related. I'll report how that goes...

#4832 8 months ago
Quoted from Wesmantooth:

Quick question guy’s how do you get all the wanted posters for high scores to show when game is idle??

They show up from time to time. Not very often though...

They could make more out of it. My pics all look pretty much the same.

#4835 8 months ago
Quoted from Axl:

in the manual page B-34:
Show Attract Mode Camera Message: specify whether to show the camera notification message during attract mode or not.
YES: show the camera message Default: YES NO: do not show the camera message

I think that's the warning screen: this game takes your picture. Has no influence on the pics shown.

#4848 8 months ago
Quoted from Hogbog:

It is your Chapter Select Rubber switch(es). They need to be adjusted slightly more open. The vibration from your flipper is causing one or both of them to activate. It's the sound-effect you are hearing when they are hit (sounds like ratcheting). Switch 57 or 63.
Cheers,
E

This worked. Thank you very much. Finally my game sounds like it's supposed to again.

#4849 8 months ago
Quoted from WolfManCat:

I noticed the ball had a hard time clearing the sling post when it didn't ride the left ball guide all the way back down.
I unscrewed the screw that is located just behind the 6x switch. Turn the spinner horizonal to give the ball guide some clearance and bend it out a little to make a more narrow channel. The shot opening should stay the same width when you rescrew the guide back into place.
I still occasionally get a ball to fall to the sling post but it is rare, while before it was consistant 100% of the time. Hope this helps.

Thank you. I'll try it like this. I think I did the opposite and tried to bend it so the 'lip' of lane points more inwards. You actually bent the part before the lip, if I understand you correctly. I'll take a pic when I do it.

#4861 8 months ago
Quoted from mtp78:

Shipping maybe,the real reason is they had the main harness wire tied way to tight. There was no room for any flex. I had to remove some wire ties just so the harness would stop pulling on the connectors....Quality Control issue !

Make sure the harnesses are not tangled up behind the playfield. On my game the right one was wrapped around the black pearl vuk.

#4988 8 months ago

I like Kanedas Podcast. It's just his opinion... For me it doesn't change anything about my enjoyment of my POTC.

#5002 8 months ago
Quoted from phoenixpin:

I've honestly never seen such a poorly set up new game on location, and I must admit that the other Stern games there were working pretty darn well. I'm not sure if that is unfortunate coincidence, or just the reality of Stern building their games to play well on location. It is possible that POTC is just a difficult game to have on location, and is best appreciated in the home setting.

Oh man, what a shame. But the game is hard to set up. It took me almost two weeks to get it running pretty much as it is supposed to. Still there are a few things that bother me. I can imagine it must be a nightmare to set up on location.

#5008 8 months ago
Quoted from heni1977:

Who is this guy? Am I missing something?

He has a pinball podcast. I like it. It's pretty much my favorite pinball podcast. He has a strong opinion about things and is not afraid to speak up. For me it's more about entertainment than about information. I don't know all the details about the drama but he was banned from Pinside and is not very popular around here.

Listen to it and judge for yourself.

#5012 8 months ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Kaneda posted my rebuttal today! Pirates fans unite, yarr!

I've seen it! Very much looking forward listening to it on my way home. Thanks!

#5018 8 months ago
Quoted from Coz:

I’m looking to buy a standard edition, anyone buy one and regret it? My distributor is going to work a trade plus cash for a nib. Wanted to get your opinions. I’ve previously owned DI and Hobbit and love JJP pins. Thanks

I have an LE. For me it was clear to go for the LE, as the price diference is not that big and you get much more value with it: Invisiglass, color changing GI, starfield in the backbox and the shaker Motor (?)...

But I'm sure the standard plays just as well.

#5067 8 months ago

Thanks zaphX for doing the interview with Kaneda. I thought you did an excellent job! I also must say that Kaneda did a very good job with the interview as well. His whole approach to it was very fair, in my opinion. It was entertaining to listen to you guys talk. Thanks to both of you!

#5085 8 months ago

If the production of pirates is coming to an end soon, what does that mean for spare parts? Are you guys worried about that at all?

#5091 8 months ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I’m considering buying a spare playfield so I have one on ice for a rainy day in the future. This is a long term keeper for me and I expect it to see a lot of play and wear. I do worry about waiting too long and missing my chance. Spare playfield decals and such also.

Ok. So I'm thinking. If the license is running out by the end of march, what would that mean? Does it mean that JJP is not allowed to produce anymore playfields or does it mean that they're not allowed to sell them? Or both? Same goes for plastics and decals.

And when it comes to parts. Imagine the spinning disc breaks in 4 years time and there's no more replacement parts. That'd suck.

I guess I need to order a set of plastics and pf decals. Just in case.

Are there any other parts you think are prone to breaking sooner or later that are not generic and replacable?

#5351 8 months ago

Today I replaced all remaining rubbers with Titans. Of course I was too lazy to remove the flippers before putting on the Titans. Now, the right flipper on the mini pf did not move back afterwards. I decided to remove the mini pf to check it out. It actually was not that hard to remove it. Once you've done it three times it probably will be easy. I found out that when I applied pressure to get the Titan on the flipper, I probably bent the flipper bushing. Now the flipper rubber touched the metal rail it sits on and prevented the flipper from moving freely. I had to bend the metal rail back slightly to allow the flipper to move freely again.

I'm afraid the rail will revert back to its initial position and put pressure on the flipper again. Should I replace the flipper gushing or is there any smart way to do that?

Also, when removing the black pearl I noticed that there is no silicone ring between the motor arm and the assembly behind the backboard as described in an earlier post.

2 weeks later
#6230 7 months ago

I didn't read the forum for a few days. Any news on the code?

2 weeks later
#7427 7 months ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

I must be missing something..
I loosed the right BP flipper and upon loosing you can easily manually move it up to pretty much a vertical position. I thought I was suppose to put the flipper back to it's "resting" place or all the way down and then tighten.
I did just that. I promise. And after tightening, and manually moving that flipper, it has no additional upward movement and is still too low. I essentially accomplished nothing.
This is fun...

On my game, I changed the BP flipper rubbers with titans. Afterwards, the right flipper didn't move right. After a while I found out, that it got blocked by the metal rail it rests on. I had to bend the metal rail just a hair so it could move freely again.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 233.10
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Manchester Township, NJ
11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Mateo, CA
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
$ 18.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider philsublime.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside