(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 13,875 posts
  • 488 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 hours ago by koops
  • Topic is favorited by 229 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,399 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0184 (resized).jpg
IMG_0186 (resized).jpg
IMG_0183 (resized).jpg
IMG_0182 (resized).jpg
F8ACAAB6-0048-4E27-9132-47033167A3FE (resized).jpeg
D248FFBA-B3B6-4D50-B6D3-6EE782DB3DF6 (resized).jpeg
Fantasty_Island (resized).jpg
0a36a47cf6538e3b7242d181025bc83afd9050c0 (resized).jpg
crash-and-burn1.gif
jjppotc (resized).JPG
F82A8729-0939-499A-81CF-68167B1E5D1D (resized).jpeg
B98A8E95-D5DC-4873-BD38-371EC3F6D3D3 (resized).jpeg
FDAB1694-AF71-4D57-918A-47AE335E65F4 (resized).jpeg
3D31B432-6174-4607-B5B7-1500629DC6DB (resized).jpeg
2C197930-487F-4FFF-951B-5DD2419F6E06 (resized).jpeg
B4F720FD-25B5-4B9F-B2FB-FE41E9478876 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #222 Liar's Dice rules explained! Posted by goren1818 (1 year ago)

Post #644 Rules flow chart Posted by Rbviessman (1 year ago)

Post #1021 How to fix black pearl lamps Posted by Yelobird (1 year ago)

Post #1360 Black Pearl flippers are uneven when in upper position - Fix Posted by evh347 (1 year ago)

Post #2468 Hardware fix for balls getting hung up during multiball. Posted by Pinballpal (1 year ago)

Post #2892 Adjustment for auto plunger not hitting balls cleanly or correctly Posted by Pinballpal (1 year ago)

Post #3974 Deadflip stream from Valentine’s Day 2019. Posted by Tuna_Delight (11 months ago)

Post #4014 POTC trouble shooting guide Posted by zaphX (11 months ago)

Post #4856 Possibly let distributor go through machine and get it tuned in. Posted by dgposter (11 months ago)

Post #6315 Fix for dauntless positioning, canon shots not landing Posted by Yelobird (10 months ago)

Post #6631 Twitch Video - How to Remove and Reinstall Black Pearl Upper Playfield Posted by KevInBuffalo (9 months ago)

Post #6655 Mylar bubble at jjPotC Map hole. Posted by thc666 (9 months ago)

Post #6834 Titan ring sizes Posted by AUKraut (9 months ago)

Post #8145 Positives and Negatives for each character Posted by EaglePin (9 months ago)

Post #8288 Rubber Sizing and Location on Playfield Posted by f3honda4me (9 months ago)

Post #8602 How to see pictures the game has taken Posted by f3honda4me (8 months ago)

Post #8625 Version .99 release notes as of 5/6/2019 Posted by pinball_keefer (8 months ago)

Post #8709 How to backup settings before installing an update Posted by LTG (8 months ago)

Post #9273 Version .99 Character Plus and Minus Benefits Posted by pinball_keefer (8 months ago)

Post #11892 Clear concise video on removing the black pearl Posted by rlslick (5 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paynemic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8589 8 months ago

Just put a deposit on an LE to join the club. Played for the first time last night. Crazy deep game. My brain exploded. But if nothing else, I always went back to the canon shot... What a great toy!

#8591 8 months ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

Congrats on finding a POTC LE.
I thought I got lucky when I ordered mine back in March. I guess some LE's are still available.

Used. Lots of mods and all cliffys, etc.

1 week later
#9226 8 months ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Has anyone noticed (I mentioned this before) a ball with a good amount of speed going around the left orbit getting air and coming over the starmap? I think a related situation that others may have noticed (and I did as well) is the right loop or right orbit shot sometimes getting pushed into the BP when there isn't a reason for it to. I believe the issue are the cutouts in the ball guides for the optos. Does that make sense? It sure looks like the ball could easily make contact with them and they seem large enough that the "footprint" of the ball on the guide could make contact with the hole and redirect the ball.
Anyone care to comment?
I wonder if mylar could be used to cover them, will that affect the function of the opto? Maybe that isn't clear enough.
[quoted image]

Yikes! Putting a cutout in the guide at ball height is a fail of pinball 101! Have you run a ball over it by hand to see if it connects?

2 weeks later
#9856 7 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

A slab of dark plastic with laser-burned pinholes that goes behind the screened plastic to reduce the light bleed around the lights behind the star map around each light. Takes them from looking like blobs to looking more like stars.
FACTORY LOOK:
[quoted image]
WITH FILTER:
[quoted image]
WITH WIDER-HOLED FILTER:
[quoted image]

I’m interested in the wider-holed version. Price ideas?

3 weeks later
#10843 7 months ago
Quoted from dgposter:

Is anyone else not able to fit art blades on the inside of your cabinet. Kingpin is getting ready to ship my LE to me, but he was not able to install the Kraken blades. Apparently the right side of the playfield is too close to the inner wall and nothing will fit in between (there is more room on the left side, however).
Are there any amazing, magical solutions of somehow increasing the gap between the playfield and the side wall? I fear there is no solution and I'm just going to be unlucky with this mod, but I figure it's worth asking in here.
I'm super excited to be joining this club!!

Just moving the pin may settle the gaps differently. You’ll probably get it in there. But I would definitely invest in the blade protectors from pbl

1 week later
#11039 7 months ago

Well I’m in the club. Sadly, some shipping damage. Anyone have any thoughts as to how to clean this up?

Worst experience over had with Beltmann (formerly navl). No blanket wrap under the shrink wrap. No corner protection. I’m kinda helpless I imagine because my daughter signed for it when I wasn’t home to inspect.

#11140 6 months ago

So I can’t get the ball up to the chest from the left flipper. My upper left won’t go back down in time. Is that the way it’s supposed to be or do I have something wrong?

2 months later
#12334 4 months ago

So my disk started being really loud and seems to be “detached” from the motor (spins up, but slightly delayed from the sound of the motor running). I’m going to start investigating but wondering if anyone has any quick tips.

2 weeks later
#12494 3 months ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

I wasn't having a major problem with that as much as balls getting hung on the gap between the BP and the ramp. Either way, the whole flow is much smoother. Again, "mileage may vary", but it worked wonders on my machine.

Same for me. I took the rubber piece out and tightened down the right side. No more hang ups at all.

#12503 3 months ago

Hey guys, just wanted to let you all know about a little audio experiment I just embarked on with my friend Dan @pinwoofer

We added an amplifier to the backbox speakers and a separate amp and 8” sub to replace the existing sub. It made a huge difference. I always thought the sound was pretty decent on jjpotc but this is amazing. Definitely hearing a lot more range and sounds I didn’t know were in there. With two amps it really allows you to balance out the sounds to your liking. The bass is shaking the room. Dan was kind enough to come help me install as it was my first jjp to try one of his kits. Can’t say enough good things about his products and service.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-amplified-subwoofer-kits-by-pinwoofer

#12513 3 months ago
Quoted from PinWoofer:

The JJP cabinet speaker is actually superior to other manufacturers, but there are deficiencies with it and with the system itself. Unfortunately, simply changing the speaker will make little or no difference to what you are experiencing.
First, the stock cabinet driver is single voice coil so only one amplified channel can drive it. The second, and most important, is that the system lacks adequate headroom to drive deep, sustained bass tones and the ability to fully reproduce low frequency effect hits during game play. Not addressing these factors leaves this amazing title severely lacking in audible presence.
Next, the backbox speakers in POTC (all JJP's) are not bad (4" mid / 2" tweeter) and we recommend keeping them in play. However, the power and dynamic range of the stock backbox amplifier leaves a lot to be desired.
PinWoofer has a turnkey solution which adds a dual voice coil subwoofer driver and two amplifiers; one amplifier for the subwoofer and one for the backbox:
https://pinwoofer.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fpinwoofer-powered-super-kit
For Pirates, select "Late JJP - Jersey Jack Pinball" under "PLATFORM AND DUAL AMP POWER HARNESS".
The improvement you'll get is dramatic. You'll not only hear the warm bass tones, but you'll feel them in your hands and feet. The mid-ranges and highs in the backbox will come alive and will be clear and crisp, unlocking the title's full potential.
Our install base is large and growing, and our reliability is excellent. You'll also get engineering technical support should you need it along with detailed instructions and an array of fasteners and connectors to make the install go quickly and smoothly. This is easy - we have streamlined the process for your delight and your outcome will be epic!
This is the single, best thing you can do for your pin.
Thanks for your time![quoted image][quoted image]

Those pics are my pin and I LOVE the sound. I haven’t worried about shorts on the board mounted where it is. The board is isolated from the rest of the system (correct me if I’m wrong, Dan) and if it killed the board it would be easily resolved. It has standoffs so other than a direct hit from above, it would be fine.

But back to the topic, the sound is incredible. I was shocked that without replacing the stock speakers, just adding the amp, the range on the high end was so much better. And clearer. It’s made my favorite pin even better. Highly recommend. And the bass, of course, is incredible. Comparable to an external sub (I have a polk 10” sitting unused now).

1 week later
#12685 3 months ago

So I thought I’d post a game I had tonight. Just tried to see if the main super wizard mode is a reality for me. So I played as Elizabeth swan. Basically I just mode start and timed out. Shot mode start again and timed out. In regaining control of the ball each time, I managed to get all the multiballs played at one point or another.

Bottom line, I got all chapters played. All Five wizard modes lit and three played. Drained my last ball playing one of the wizard modes.

Seems like cheating somewhat, but I have standard outline posts and set to four balls. Everything else is standard, I think.

Do you think the main wizard mode will be qualified just by playing all five minis or will there be more?

2252DA45-0135-4D0E-A8E2-E745DA2F7109 (resized).jpeg8461CCA5-1777-47D3-9EF3-24388893766E (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#12943 75 days ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

This does the trick to solve that issue:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/227#post-5094603
This is the sleeve I put on mine. You have to take the Black Pearl off to get at it but it's a great idea to do it to prevent balls sticking between the sling post and the star map entry post and to prevent wear on the sling rubber. (note you don't have to dremel the post to make it work).
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/38-5151

Are these glue-able? I’m hesitant to take off my ship as it’s running SO well right now. Don’t want to tweak anything. Wondering if I can split one and superglue it back together after slipping it on. I know, lazy...

#12945 75 days ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

I don’t know if that would work or not. That spot takes direct hits all the time. I’d think it would give out kind of quickly from taking a pounding, but I don’t know. You could just buy the post and a replacement rubber for the sling and then just put them on the next time you need to take the ship off for something else.
I definitely understand your hesitation. I used to feel the exact same way about taking the ship off. But now I’ve done it 3 or 4 times in the past couple months for various things and it isn’t that bad anymore. The tricky part is still getting the eyelets lined up when putting it back on, but even that goes a little smoother with practice.

Yeah. It would be my first time. And it’s all running so well right now I just don’t want to poke the bear!!

I like your idea of having it on hand. Did you say a new post is necessary? I missed that. I thought it was just the rubber sleeve?

#12949 75 days ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

my front volume buttons control main volume of machine. There is probly a setting in menu for what it does (assuming)

Mine is same

#12984 72 days ago
Quoted from attack7:

Well, add another vote for PinWoofer being an excellent addition to Pirates. daudioguy's work really shines on POTC and hearing all the detail that's buried in there is much more possible with amplified speakers - a pretty dramatic difference. Dan (the creator) also is willing to bend over backwards to help even when there's *cough* user error *cough*. Looking forward to installing it in my DI as well.

Agreed. Dan’s product and service definitely live up to the hype. If you’re looking for better sound in any of your pins, pin woofer is the real deal.

#12987 72 days ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Hmmm... I will be doing my POTC and DI as well in the near future. Looking forward to boomier ship explosions and bigger bangs.
Any tips re installation? Stuff to avoid?

Didn’t mean to derail this thread but head over to the dedicated pinwoofer thread or contact Dan directly. Super knowledgeable guy, about audio, pinball and electronics in general.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-amplified-subwoofer-kits-by-pinwoofer/page/7#post-5305257

#13001 69 days ago

Anyone know how to use the add-a-ball feature of the Pintel character?

2 weeks later
#13171 49 days ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Okay, so after a year of owning this machine I finally decided to try to tackle the one shot I can't seem to figure out, the Bayou. I can never seem to hit that shot when I'm trying to. Balls go in there pretty often, but just never when I'm aiming for it. I played a bunch of games the last few days only focusing on trying to hit that one shot, and I can't figure out the best way to go at it for consistent success. Is it better to shoot for it from the left flipper or the right flipper? I get close from both sides, but it usually rattles out. I haven't found a smooth consistent path into it. Any ideas?

Backhand from the left. Hold it down but not too long. I kinda have to sweep it in there with the underside of that upper left flipper.

#13211 43 days ago

So are there any nib machines of any trim level available in the US? I called and put a hold on the last one in Australia for a friend, but it’s an LE and he might prefer a standard.

#13256 39 days ago
Quoted from Vans:

Last NIB Pirates LE heading North to Canada![quoted image]

Yikes! I thought I just bought the last one! Just sent the wire today to Paul. Wonder how many more “last ones” there are?

#13258 39 days ago
Quoted from Izzy24:

Did you get 314? I think he had 310, 314, 318

Actually not sure. I’ll inquire tomorrow. Paul is a great guy. I’m sure I just mis-heard.

#13272 38 days ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Just had a new stuck ball spot from a couple of goofy bounces. Off the 3x target, off Tortuga Tom, nothin’ but net.[quoted image]

Wow! Sweet shot. One in a million.

1 week later
#13340 31 days ago

Apparently the kit gives you a full conversion, including a 110v service outlet

1 week later
#13528 21 days ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Fellow pirates!
A Wonka Candy Kode (411411) has revealed the existence of a hidden 23rd POTC character![quoted image]

Wow! Need more info. I wonder if it’s in current code?

#13582 17 days ago

So I did a little searching but couldn’t find what I’m looking for.

I’m helping a friend open the last LE out of Australia and a little worried about the unboxing and tuning (mine was used and already tuned). Anyone have a best practices list or flowchart for setting up a new potc? I assume this was built later in the run but I don’t know that for sure. Should I be worried about QC and having to fix a bunch of stuff right away? I have a set of cliffys. Are all of them 100% necessary? Are they hard to install? Etc.

Advice please.

#13584 17 days ago
Quoted from vireland:

Step one, order the conversion kit direct from JJP that converts from Aussie power back to US power. DO NOT plug the machine in in without doing the full conversion FIRST.
Step two, check out the technical thread here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues
There's an index in post one to almost everything you could need to know to tweak and fix the machine.
Step three, enjoy one of the best pins ever made!

Thanks! I have the kit already. That will happen. I will definitely check out the tech thread...

#13679 13 days ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

I just did a bunch more glass off testing sending the ball around with my hand. After running On Stranger Tides multiball once, I wasn't able to advance progress for it again until all other multiballs had also been run once. I was tapping targets and shooting other main shots in between inner loops, and it was registering those inner loop shots for scoring and playing chapters but it wouldn't advance the multiball progress.
However, once I ran the other 4 multiballs I was able to get it to start advancing On Stranger Tides again. But even that came with a catch. It would only advance if a shot was sent through the chest lane before an inner loop shot. I'd tap targets and send it through other main shots before the inner loop, but it wouldn't advance. The only way it seemed to advance was if the chest lane in particular was hit before making the inner loop. By doing that I got it to advance to the next to last position, and then it seemed like there was another catch because suddenly when trying to advance to the last step it wasn't enough to hit the chest lane before the inner loop. I had to fiddle with hitting a bunch more shots before the inner loop finally advanced the MB to the last step. It might have been that all other main shots needed to be hit before advancing that last step though the inner loop, but I'm not sure.

This is great investigation. I need more info. Code seems iffy here.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
14,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
11,500 (Firm)
Sale Pending!
Nashville, TN

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paynemic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside