(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 13,173 posts
  • 479 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 hours ago by epotech
  • Topic is favorited by 222 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,302 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

shipbottle (resized).JPG
0F14393B-75AA-4034-96D9-EEF6D7154881 (resized).jpeg
6F2AA754-3952-4687-8141-733553E9D502 (resized).jpeg
D162E8A3-BB9C-4B0D-B02E-8FCC98BC9ED1 (resized).jpeg
2E77DEEB-B62E-4630-9C45-8A629A1884D6 (resized).jpeg
afmr10 (resized).jpg
D18D88D1-E5BA-4EC3-9B37-D018C11651C5 (resized).jpeg
D7FB3373-16ED-4F63-80F6-D67037B0A8BD (resized).jpeg
DB16933A-A530-4814-8A13-2C4D5482A968 (resized).jpeg
CF646859-E929-4F8D-AD3A-B265F64372FB (resized).jpeg
74593A2E-1DA7-4EDF-A6B2-37E2269F403D (resized).jpeg
B3EC1B63-94A1-4DF9-B51D-8AE1F11DB097 (resized).jpeg
272A263A-6416-430D-97A5-C17D831E0F02 (resized).jpeg
DFAD19C5-EA71-4744-97EC-CBCDCD4175CD (resized).jpeg
DSC00679 (resized).JPG
DSC00142 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #222 Liar's Dice rules explained! Posted by goren1818 (1 year ago)

Post #644 Rules flow chart Posted by Rbviessman (1 year ago)

Post #1021 How to fix black pearl lamps Posted by Yelobird (1 year ago)

Post #1360 Black Pearl flippers are uneven when in upper position - Fix Posted by evh347 (1 year ago)

Post #2468 Hardware fix for balls getting hung up during multiball. Posted by Pinballpal (11 months ago)

Post #2892 Adjustment for auto plunger not hitting balls cleanly or correctly Posted by Pinballpal (11 months ago)

Post #3974 Deadflip stream from Valentine’s Day 2019. Posted by Tuna_Delight (9 months ago)

Post #4014 POTC trouble shooting guide Posted by zaphX (9 months ago)

Post #4856 Possibly let distributor go through machine and get it tuned in. Posted by dgposter (9 months ago)

Post #6315 Fix for dauntless positioning, canon shots not landing Posted by Yelobird (8 months ago)

Post #6631 Twitch Video - How to Remove and Reinstall Black Pearl Upper Playfield Posted by KevInBuffalo (8 months ago)

Post #6655 Mylar bubble at jjPotC Map hole. Posted by thc666 (8 months ago)

Post #6834 Titan ring sizes Posted by AUKraut (8 months ago)

Post #8145 Positives and Negatives for each character Posted by EaglePin (7 months ago)

Post #8288 Rubber Sizing and Location on Playfield Posted by f3honda4me (7 months ago)

Post #8602 How to see pictures the game has taken Posted by f3honda4me (7 months ago)

Post #8625 Version .99 release notes as of 5/6/2019 Posted by pinball_keefer (7 months ago)

Post #8709 How to backup settings before installing an update Posted by LTG (7 months ago)

Post #9273 Version .99 Character Plus and Minus Benefits Posted by pinball_keefer (6 months ago)

Post #11892 Clear concise video on removing the black pearl Posted by rlslick (3 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jordanb.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1059 1 year ago
Quoted from Asael:

- I don't know if it is normal and intended, but there is extreme flickering of the topper. If that is normal I think I will take the topper off again.

I just got my LE last week, and am noticing the same thing with the topper... crazy flickering (and actually I think it might be dead now). Wondering if a wire got pinched, I plan to check it out later.

My first impressions are similar -- WOW! I don't think it's just psychological with the price tag... this is really a fantastic and fun game.

I am holding out hope that more cinematics find their way into the game over the lifespan of code updates, but I know I'm dreaming when hoping that some official licensed assets will be released. It's a shame that some of the most iconic movie music in history didn't make it in, musta been prohibitively expensive. Just reminds me that our pinball hobby isn't really mainstream again yet. That said, it's staggering how good the music is, and how it feels "Piratey" without being officially licensed.

Because there's so much going on in the game and everything seems to be stackable, new players are having a hard time getting drawn into chapters. It seems like every shot is lit all the time, making it tough to see just what shots you're going for during a mode without looking up to see what characters are still left to collect. Once players notice the mode shots are actually the small targets, not the huge red pieces of eight targets, things start to come into focus.

Here's my unboxing/first week's experience:

- As mentioned, the topper lighting is flickery/flaky

- A couple of weird QC issues: 1.) the grounding strap was blocking a leg bolt plate hole, I had to get in there and wiggle it over. There was enough play that it wasn't a big deal once I figured out what it was. 2.) the coin door was damaged. I don't think this could have been done in shipping as there are huge foam blocks protecting the shooter rod. I've reached out to my distributor on this one.
grounding strap (resized).png
Coin door (resized).png

- The tests report I have a few switches stuck, none of which appear to be affecting gameplay and all in awkward to reach spots. I'm putting off adjusting them.

- The ball gets stuck on edge of the black pearl between the flippers. I have to raise the right flipper and as the ship rocks, bat it down with the backside of the flipper. Not sure if there's an adjustment for that.
pasted_image (resized).png

- I find it hard to lock a ball in the chest. I've adjusted the flipper power up (to default, it was under default as shipped) but still tricky. Maybe just need to practice to hit it in the sweet spot.

- I'll be looking into a lighting mod for under the apron by the flippers as it's rather dark there... but only if it nicely integrates with the rest of the GI

- It seems to take awhile to "wind down" a ball... it seems it's registered in the trough, but it's like animations need to finish or something before the bonus starts counting up. I'd love to be able to skip ahead to the next ball.

I'm enjoying things more each game I put in. Beautiful work, JJP team!

truck (resized).pngLift (resized).png
unboxed (resized).pngHappy! (resized).pngPlaying! (resized).png

1 week later
#1206 1 year ago

Anyone else find the animation time to end a chapter when you drain to be rather slow? Feature request: End mode immediately on drain, rather than "wind down". Or allow skipping.

#1222 1 year ago

I was 100% disappointed about the lack of licensed music and callouts... until I got the game.

Now, I'm blown away by the music. It makes the game more of a generic-feeling pirate theme, which I'm okay with. And I say that as a lover of licensed themes.

Sure, having the main theme play at some point would be AWESOME, but the music and sounds that are in this game is astounding. I REALLY thought I'd miss the Pirates music in the game and it's just a non-issue. This game is great.

#1225 1 year ago
Quoted from tonycip:

I agree the music is great, I was more interested in the call outs by more then just gibbs . I really injoy TAF call outs by both the actors.

You're not wrong... the callouts in classic Bally Williams games are pretty stellar. I couldn't imagine ST:TNG without all the actors. But I'm happy not having a bunch of samples pulled from the movies.

#1233 1 year ago
Quoted from AdamTheHutt:

You know with the affordability of Wireless cards now I'm surprised they don't put an adapter in this machine

Ya gotta figure this is coming. Pretty big advantages to having Internet connectivity. Reporting errors/status/earnings from locations, downloading updates. Maybe put a bitcoin miner in there

How long until we see DLC for our pins?

#1240 1 year ago
Quoted from evh347:

When exactly does the camera take your picture for a high score? I thought it would allow me to make a silly face as I hit the action button on END to enter my initials....but it seems to have captured my ugly non-staged expression.

Pretty sure it takes it when you hit END, however it also uses facial detection, so if your face is too distorted to be recognized, it reverts to a picture taken earlier (when you're entering?)

J.

#1251 1 year ago

I know others have had problems with their LE toppers, just thought I'm post a video of what I was experiencing.

- When it's working, it flickers a lot when it fades in and out; definitely not smooth. I think this is unfortunately the expected behavior?
- It either had a flaky connection or was shorting out

Shortly after I stopped the video, the wire just came off in my hand, so I'll take off the topper and solder it back together. But I'll wait for the expected JJ service bulletin on this to come out first.

Disconnected (resized).png

#1253 1 year ago
Quoted from heni1977:

pinball_keefer Is there a setting for this. I thought I saw something about turning the instruction off for after ball drain. Would that shorten the time after ball drain to relaunch?
I enjoy seeing the instructions and for newbies its a must. But I can see after you know what you are doing you could turn the instructional off.

There's a setting for turning off the in-between-ball instructions. What I'm referring to is:

- Mode Running
- Ball Drains
- Mode-over animation/summary (not skippable) <== THIS
- Ball Over Animation/summary (skippable)
- In-between hit/tip (skippable)
- Ball fed to shooter lane

This is probably only bugging me because I'm still learning the game, and when my ball time is short, I just want to get the next ball into the shooter lane ASAP.

#1259 1 year ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Seems like it was doing what it was designed to do prior to pulling on the wire harness? Its suppose to flicker and fade.

It was actually dead until I wiggled it a bit. Then it came back on, and I started filming. I just wanted to get an idea of the position it was in when it was shorting/off.

That said, thanks for the confirmation about the behavior when it was working. I thought that the flicker was so jarring that maybe it was part of my shorting issue, but I guess it's behaving as intended.

#1263 1 year ago
Quoted from AdamTheHutt:

That being said I found a majority of the game modes, because I haven't even played them all yet, are not very intuitive. I know this is an unfair comparison but let's say Lord of the Rings when you're playing a game mode like escaping the ringwraiths, or battling the Tower with the ents, it actually feels like you're doing those things when you're hitting the shots. Most game modes on playing now or just hit these three shots. Some elaborate name for the mode and it's just hit those two shots hit those three shots it doesn't feel very thematic or intuitive at all.

You're right. BUT... this is a different game.

Most pinball machines I play for the modes. POTC plays differently. There are a bunch of different simultaneous objectives, but I think the name of the game for me at the moment is really multiballs. I enjoy the distraction of the pirate lanes, and the chapters are important for points and to advance towards wizard modes, but mainly I'm chasing the multiballs and figuring out how to maximize them.

From what I've seen, the wizard modes are more like your traditional "modes" where they have an adventure feel to them. Chapters, as you've noted, are just shot checklists regardless of which movie or scene it's from. I do enjoy the color matching and music changes though!

#1272 1 year ago

Had some free time today and decided to look into the switch errors I've had since receiving the game...

Switch errors (resized).png

I was kinda hoping they'd go away with some play. No such luck.

The right rubber was an easy adjustment from below the playfield. #s 09, 10, and 12 though made me think I had a wiring problem. I got the Black Pearl out, and sure enough, as others have reported... severed wire:

severed (resized).png

It's weird... it's a clean cut, not really sure how that could have happened. I suspect sabotage at the factory.

Anyhow, no big deal fixing that up:

Soldered (resized).png

Wrapped (resized).png

I was hoping that would be the end of it. But I'm still experiencing one problem. #09 is showing bad, in red. I guess that just means that it hasn't ever registered? Either way, the switch still isn't registering in tests despite the wiring now looking good (and the other 2 switches daisy chained are working now).

Bad switch (resized).png

Despite what I've heard, the pearl is a pain to take out. Mainly due to that finicky long allen head screw in the back. Threading that thing back in was a MAJOR pain. I'm sure I'll have it apart and back together at least once more before I get this switch figured out.

It's weird though, everything looks good, so I'm not really sure where to start now.

Thoughts?

#1273 1 year ago

Actually... shoot. Looking through my other photos, I'm now seeing that it appears as thought the two green wires were likely soldered on to the switch, and the wire itself broke off. Thanks makes a lot more sense.

snapped (resized).png

#1276 1 year ago
Quoted from pickleric:

Is the spinning disc normally pretty loud when it rotates?

It's certainly not silent... I wouldn't say it's particularly noisy, but even with the game volume pretty loud, you can still hear the disc in an otherwise quiet room. I can imagine how noisy the 3-spinner must have been.

#1278 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

I use a 10 inch long allen head T handle wrench, with one finger hold the screw on the wrench and stick it in the hole and screw it in.

Yup, going shopping tonight because I have to get it out again to fix my fix.

#1294 1 year ago
Quoted from roddog:

I was referring to the size of the "10 inch long allen head T handle wrench" in the case of the Black Pearl getting wonky.
Thanks!

It's a 1/8" hex bit to remove the bolt holding the ship.

hex (resized).png

#1295 1 year ago

Whelp, at least I figured out why I suck at loading the cannon!

It appears to work every 10th attempt or so.

I've tried incrementally adjusting the power on that coil up until max, and it's the same behavior.

Any ideas on what can be done to get the cannon door to stay open?

#1300 1 year ago

I'll mess with it tonight, but would love a photo or more of a description if anyone would be so kind.

If I get 'er fixed, I'll be sure to post a video clip.

#1313 1 year ago

Thanks WOLFMANCAT! That did the trick. I lied about taking a video because your photos definitely make it clear. Just a slight bend down and it's now working reliably for me.

J.

Quoted from WolfManCat:

You have to bend the arm in a manner that tightens up the spring tension on the flap/gate. If you zoom in close on the first pic you can see the markings from where I had my pliers. I believe I twisted my wrist to the left a little bending the arm down just slightly.
I apologize for the poor lighting.
[quoted image][quoted image]

#1315 1 year ago

I had a weird thing happen tonight. Was putting up a solid game and was on my 2nd liar's dice when I made the liar selection and the game... crashed? ... with a tilt. Very odd. Wonder if anyone else has seen that?

#1322 1 year ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

Did you wager tilts and lose?

Nope, I wagered souls, and I don't know if I won or lost, because as soon as I clicked LIAR it flashed to tilt.

It's a computer, and I'm a developer, so I'm not surprised or upset. Just thought I'd see if anyone else encountered it.

#1384 1 year ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

Thinking about joining the club at some point (hopefully sooner rather than later!), and I know this question has probably already been asked but:
Is JJP planning on selling that sweet ship in the bottle topper separately? Can't justify the CE price, so I want to get a LE, then add the topper.
Thanks!

Their marketing material says the ship will not be sold separately. Makes sense -- if I were a CE owner, seeing the LE rubes with my sweet topper would piss me off.

#1395 1 year ago
Quoted from darkryder:

I’ve only played less than ten games myself and managed 1.5B on factory settings. Stacking the multiball modes is so much fun!

Uhm.... presuming you mean 1.5 Million. Which is still hella impressive for less than a dozen games on it. I'm averaging maybe 600k on a good game, I'm happy when I break a million, and 1.6 is my current highest game.

#1421 1 year ago

I think skull means qualified, and the 4th position represents the "One Last Fight" chapter, which is perhaps random or perhaps cycled through? Just guessing though, keen to hear a more informed answer.

#1423 1 year ago
Quoted from Hogbog:

Each movie has 5 chapters pulled from it's pool of 25ish at the beginning of the game

Holy shit, there are 125 different chapters?

Thanks for the answer, that definitely cleared it up for me. Very cool to learn the ins and outs!

#1459 1 year ago
Quoted from darkryder:

Does anyone sell shooter lane and scoop protectors for this game or are they even necessary?

The metal rails on the shooter lane is inspired. Great addition, Eric!

I'm waiting on availability for rollover switch lane protectors for where the ball drops off the wireforms, but that's about all I can think of for protectors. This is my first NIB machine, and I don't plan to put it on location, so even the rollover lane protectors are probably overkill.

#1462 1 year ago

Came home to find this, can’t see where it came off of. They thought maybe somewhere from the upper right corner. Anyone happen to know?

B6B203AA-C5CA-49BF-B773-2AAC2A9D4611 (resized).jpeg
#1464 1 year ago

Thanks @LTG! Living up to your name!!

#1467 1 year ago

I just went through my coil settings, and for the life of me can’t spot a tortuga hole coil. Anyone able to give me a sanity check on this one?

#1469 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Page B-37 in the manual

RTFM! Thanks once again, Leo!

#1487 1 year ago

Anyone able to help me decode the extra ball rules? I get it has something to do with checking the starfield to get a hint in the starfield as to what shot to make. (And on SE, you hit the starmap for an onscreen message, I presume, due to no starfield?)

I certainly have never been able to make sense of the starfield during a game, and all my extra balls have been either mystery/map/pirate lane awards, or just dumb luck.

#1490 1 year ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

It's not on-screen, it'll dim the lamps and flash the required shot/target white (all versions).

Ah, fair enough. Though I'm still not sure how you get to the point where you have a change to light extra ball. You collect (X) many "constellation bonus shots" which flash white? If so... how does a constellation bonus shot light up?

#1684 12 months ago

Cool video! No wonder they're taking so long to come out, Hogbog is building them all himself

#1705 12 months ago
Quoted from DefDumBlindKid:

how are people securing their monitors so they don’t sag on the right side? Am I missing something obvious?
[quoted image]

Mine is sagging too. I didn't notice it until I had a friend over who pointed it out. Now I can't un-see it. I checked if there was a quick adjustment, but didn't notice anything obvious. Keen to hear what others may have done.

#1719 12 months ago

What's really missing with the chapters is the licensed assets. The chapters could have a lot more personality with scenes from movies (considering they're based on the movies, after all). But what this game lacks in cinematics, it more than makes up for in gameplay and rule depth.

I'm more okay with the lack of theatrics than I'd have expected. The A++ music helps.

#1721 12 months ago
Quoted from DANGERTERROR:

I spent 20 minutes getting the ship back into place last time I removed it. Hey ltg can you give me your step-by-step for getting the ship back in? SOMETHING was resisting me popping it back into place, but I still don't know what. Is it an angle thing? Should I title the ship?
Thanks!

I had two frustrating experiences too. First was trying to mess around with that hex screw using an allen wrench. Once I got a longer T-wrench, that became much easier.

There are two pivot points you need to maneuver the underside of the ship onto. If either the front or the rear are too high or too low, it will get hung up. I don't know if there's much of a technique other than practice and getting a feel for it, but I'd be happy to hear suggestions because I'm going to take it out again to mylar the starfield.

#1729 12 months ago

None of the chapter modes offer progression per se. It's all a checklist of shots.

The added dimension is multipliers and enhancements. You build the value of the chapters by hitting the skull (movie) shots. Character selection can make the shots easier (which comes with a multiplier decrease) or spot you shots.

I haven't played any of the 5 movie wizard modes yet. Presumably those are more ... theatrical.

#1734 12 months ago
Quoted from misfitdart:

Can't seem to find the settings for the mystery/tortuga scoop, I know it's covered somewhere in this thread.

Page B-37 in the manual ( download from jerseyjackpinball.com under Support - Downloads ) - Bumpers VUK Strength specify the firing strength for the tortuga VUK coil.

In Settings - Coils.

LTG : )

#1857 11 months ago

I had to bend a piece of metal down -- photos available in the thread. I recommend carving out some time and skimming through all the posts in this thread.
There are some nuggets for sure!

Quoted from roddog:

I tried searching for "black pearl gate" and nothing came up. Maybe "gate" is not the technical term.

#1862 11 months ago

My problem was that the door tried to open but didn't stay. You can test this by hitting switches on the upper playfield when you have the cannon ready to load. If the door opens and holds, you don't need to bend anything. If it tries to open but just goes back down, then it needs to be adjusted. (you can see the video I posted here for what I was experiencing): https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/26#post-4711641

Quoted from evh347:

Related to #1305’s recommended fix, I too have experienced this strange behavior in the door to the cannon load. Before I go bending metal with pliers, I’m wondering if this is a software/bug issue or can this only be physically resolved?

#1927 11 months ago

I think the only drivers for extra ball are:
- map awards (not sure the randomness?)
- pirate lane awards (not sure what round?)
- constellation shots (random shots that collect the more you play?)

Constellation is still more or less a mystery to me. I don't get how the starmap gives any hints. I'm sure someone with some actual knowledge could clarify further.

Quoted from Gusphan:

I had an epic game last night where I got to 4 out of the 5 wizard modes. I've never gotten to more than 1 in a single game before. This was on factory settings.
What really helped is the way the game doled out extra balls. As I progressed further, it gave them out at what seemed appropriate times, like reaching checkpoints in a video game. You play well and progress further, here's an extra ball. Makes perfect sense.
If Keith or someone can explain the ways that extra balls are earned, that would be appreciated.

#1933 11 months ago

Speaking of the selfies, does anyone else notice a dark blog appearing on their posters around the nose? I thought I might have had a spec on the camera or something, but we're all different heights and it always appears right near the nose. I don't think these photos pick it up very well, but figured I'd post them as reference.

I presume it has something to do with the filters being applied to the shot. In camera test, the picture is clean and unblemished.

(Obviously this isn't a big deal -- I'm just curious if the third nostril is a software thing or specific to my machine)

3rd nostril (resized).png

Nose blob (resized).pngblobs (resized).png

#1938 11 months ago
Quoted from Asael:

Same on mine.

Gotchya. Can't say I love it. I presume it's meant to rough up the appearance of the poster, but looks too much like an extra nose hole to me.

#1941 11 months ago

Ah, thanks, that makes sense!

Interesting that you went with the spelling "pYracy" -- I couldn't find any references to this spelling online, and the game is called "pIrates", after all.

*shrugs*

Quoted from check_switch_26:

The spot is present on the poster background. We'll touch that up for a later release.
--Ted
[quoted image]

#1997 11 months ago

I'm with villathrills. This game is spectacular. I wouldn't trade mine for 2 classic Williams. The problems are annoying, but will be forgotten long before the game gets old.

#2056 11 months ago
Quoted from Genjuro:

Anyone else have the switches in the chapter select mode stuck closed because the rubber is forcing it closed? Not a big deal to fix.. just curious.
Also, someone please tell me the menu item to adjust the chapter select magnet strength... if the ball ends up on the left side of the pop up post...it's usually STDM.

I had the problem with the stuck switch, easy to adjust from below the playfield with a switch adjustment tool.

I get a few drains SDTM from the starfield, but usually the magnet will do its job.

#2057 11 months ago

Speaking of the starfield post... I get the ball slipping past the post on the left hand side about 1/2 of the time (not trapped like in the photo).

It didn't happen at all to begin with. Anyone else? As I type this, I'm wondering if it's bent, crooked, or loose under the playfield.

sneaking down the left (resized).png

#2074 11 months ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Hard to tell from your picture but make sure the up post is as centered as possible. Make sure the left rubber ring is in position. And make sure the clear post holding the ring is snug and not upside down?

Good call, I haven't taken a close look with the glass off yet. Looks like in my pic the rubber isn't making contact with the ball, could definitely be too high.

2 weeks later
#2622 11 months ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

Anyone else with ball jumps from the left ramp?

I had that start happening recently. I was adjusting the flipper strength to see if I could make the chest lock an easier shot (but have since adjusted the fork screws as suggested, and it's much more consistent now) -- I need to try dialing down the flipper strength to see if it reduces the fly-out.

#2712 11 months ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Another DIYarrrrrr segment for those of us with older eyes or needing to see the flippers just a little bit better. This Very simple to install and low cost LED strip really adds just the right amount of light to both the flippers as well as the lower playfield area without any obtrusive lighting fixtures.

I'm curious yelobird, how does this look with the controlled GI lighting effects? Does it dim/turn off? Or is it always on?

#2752 11 months ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

Ok! So I've narrowed my problem with the cannon hate load. It raises up enough and stays there, but as soon as I hit a flipper on either side it drops back down effectively making the shot impossible. My switches all check out and I've done the "bang on the playfield" test. Any ideas?
What could cause pushing either flipper to lower the gate?

The software tells the gate to lower whenever any main playfield switch is hit (unless in multiball). It sounds like that's the easiest answer, but I'd expect a switch test to reveal that issue.

I had a problem with my gate not catching up -- it was flicking up and then falling right back down. That took an assembly adjustment to resolve. Have you tried giving the mini playfield a tap to see if the ship flippers are shaking the gate loose?

#2801 11 months ago

I figured it out! So I remembered people earlier saying if any switch was hit on the lower playfield, the gate closes. Days ago I had a leaf switch registered as stuck closed. It went away on its own without me adjusting it, I just kept a mental note of it in case it happened again. I adjusted it anyway and the problem ceased! It must have been touching when the flippers vibrated the machine. Odd it didn't happen during the "bang on the playfield test". Anyway, there it is. Hit the ship three times in one game.

Glad you got 'er figured out!

I wish they chose to use a latching relay mechanism but I guess the thought was that 1 more coil is 1 more point of failure. I also wonder if there's a great risk of a tiny hold coil even burning out if just left on rather than software disabled... but I'm no engineer.

#2827 11 months ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

On item #1 thats the added mystery and Design of the Pirates code. (more like Guidelines). You never Know when or where the ball will pop up or divert. They mentioned this several times in the tutorial videos.

Yup, I heard Eric say this in an interview. Paraphrasing, but he said he liked designing a shot do do multiple things. In this case, divert to the ship or continue through the orbit into the pops.

I for one love it!

#2902 11 months ago

For those having trouble with tortuga VUK shooting straight down the middle, or aiming inconsistently regardless of the coil strength, here's what I did.

My two screws were loose on the bracket directing the ball.

VUK (resized).png

Unfortunately, this required taking apart the pop to get access under the skirt. A bit of a pain removing Tom and the motor, but easier once I realized the order to do things. (remove Tom using an allen key on the side, not the screws on the top)

What's odd is that these screws seem to be covered by a plate for the vuk assembly on the underside. Presumably the screws aren't actually hitting the plate, but it also means you can't have a locking nut holding these screws in place. I worry that they'll just loosen up again.

plate (resized).png

Also... yes, I'm seeing some minor chipping around the hole. Very disappointing for a HUO, low play game -- but so far the only instance I've seen. I've applied some nail hardener around the edge to hopefully prevent it from getting worse.

#2904 11 months ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Are cliffys being made yet?

Last I heard, Cliff hasn't had access to a playfield for development. I don't think they take anything away from the game at all -- I wonder why they don't come standard, given the chipping problems that the Oz hole had too...

#2907 11 months ago
Quoted from evh347:

I appreciated this post as my Tortuga VUK guide was working loose too. I got Tortuga Tom off with a 5/64 allen wrench, but it wasn't clear what you removed to give enough slack to move the white skirt under the motor. What exactly did you loosen to do this? Thanks.

Here's what I did:
1. From underneath, I removed the 2 nuts holding the pop bumper ring and removed it from the yoke:

underside (resized).png

I think this is necessary to allow enough movement topside. It was awkward until I removed the right support.

2. remove Tom using the allen wrench

3. Once you have Tom and his plate off, you'll see the motor (which the plate was attached to). Undo the two screws holding the motor in:

motor screws (resized).png

and pull the motor part way out. I think there should be enough slack in the wire.

4. Next, unscrew the two screws holding down the white pop bumper housing.

Here's a photo where you can see one of them (there are two):

screw (resized).png

Things should be loose enough to get access to the troublesome scoop screws. The motor unplugs from the underside (yellow molex coupler) if you need more slack.

I think that's it... sorry if I missed any steps!

#2909 11 months ago
Quoted from VillaThrills:

Tightened the scoop a while ago just to have it loosen again.

Yeah, that's my concern too... seems like if the vuk assembly plate isn't actually blocking the screws, it certainly impacts our ability to find a lasting solution. Hoping for someone smarter than me to come up with something!

#2910 11 months ago

removed: double post

#2929 10 months ago
Quoted from roddog:

Quick question. Do your balls get wedged in-between the left band and the center post of the "star map" area about half the time you start a chapter? Mine do! It does not seem to affect gameplay since a random, qualified chapter is started regardless. However, it is annoying. It looks like the center post is way off-center.

Mine did this. In fact, it slipped between them completely often.

I eventually dismounted it from the bottom and installed 2 small washers under the left 2 bolts. This actually points the post a bit to the left, which is perfect. It still has smooth action.

#2931 10 months ago
Quoted from roddog:

Oh interesting. So the center post pops up at a left angle? Kooky! Thanks for the advice!

After I adjusted it, it's a tiny bit to the left... but it was a tiny bit to the right before the adjustment, which caused ball slippage. And nobody likes ball slippage.

#2964 10 months ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

The tortuga VUK is making me want to not play my game lol. The constantly changing strength at which it kicks the ball out is very frustrating, and often kicks SDTM with nothing you can do. I have tightened the scoop screws, but that didn't fix it, and they tend to constantly loosen up again anyways even with some loctite on them. I feel like nut and bolt was the correct call on that scoop here, and the wood screws are a bad call. But, again, that's not really the issue here anyways.
Anyone found a way to fix this frustrating VUK?

Is the metal scoop loose? Can you move it left to right?

There are 2 screws under the pop skirt that needed tightening on mine. I'm ejecting to the middle of the left flipper 100% of the time now -- though I'm not sure how long it will last.

go back one page in the thread and you'll see the photos and description that I posted.

#2967 10 months ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

The post you quoted, I said the screws were tight. :p Doesn’t fix it.

Hahah you're right, my mistake.

Even if they're tight, it still needs to be pointed correctly; mine shifted to the left before I tightened it. But yes, I predict this will be an issue going forward.

#2969 10 months ago
Quoted from wheels:

I have chapters sometimes starting at random times. Assuming playfield vibration triggering one of the 5 switches. Need to gap them properly. Looks like it's best to access from below? Don't recall what it looks like below in that area. Anyone else had to access these switches? Best to attack from under the playfield?

Mine arrived with a stuck switch there. Yes, best to access from below from what I recall. Otherwise you need to take off the ship and a bunch of plastics (something I'm not looking forward to for cleaning/mylaring the starfield area)

1 week later
#3103 10 months ago

Is there a way to mod the sound on this? I'd love to play with the audio and add some custom music and sound clips to it.

Yeah, I want the official movie soundtrack too... but that said, the EXCELLENT original music takes away most of my disappointment!

#3110 10 months ago
Quoted from evh347:

MezelMod protectors installed:

Looks sharp, can you post a pic without the pinstadium on?

#3111 10 months ago
Quoted from Pinballpal:

I wonder if you hook up a keyboard to the motherboard and boot directly into linux then change some sound files from their. Some one with some linux knowledge might be able to pull that off.

Definitely can't (easily) -- the assets are encrypted on the storage device and decrypted during runtime, as far as I know. There was a user trying to get at the assets for a WoZ mod (Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Rainbow) but I don't think he made any real progress.

#3243 10 months ago
Quoted from Agima2000:

use these parts and there are no damages
https://pu-parts.com/assembly-blades

Clever idea ... not sure if it would fit if the blades/mirrors/artwork barely fits?

#3268 10 months ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

But you can't deny the spinning LED inserts in those disks was pretty dam cool and innovative. Yes they did the right thing and the end result was More than acceptable but there is no argument that original design was over the top creative genius!!! Wish it worked.

Agreed, and it was even cooler because it fit the theme. Oh well! As others have said, losing it would hurt a lot more if the rest of the game wasn't so balls-out awesome.

1 week later
#3772 10 months ago
Quoted from Zora:

I am a bit confused regarding the reason for the production stop, which seems far too early to me. One said it is not licence related. So what is the true reason? Set up of the next (unknown) JJP game on the production line? Demand should be there for Pirates.
Does anyone know more details?

I think surely this must be to the demands of releasing not 1 but 2 titles this year, one of which I'm sure they're under pressure to time in conjunction with the movie release.

3 weeks later
#5156 9 months ago
Quoted from fossmin:

So I just starting getting an error, target switch #48 is stuck closed, target ship. Is this the ship on the left side of the playfield? Anyone know how to get to it? Do I have to remove the upper deck?
Thanks
Gerry

Pretty sure that just means the Dauntless hasn't been hit recently, you can hit it with your hand to see if the error goes away. Or just ignore it.

#5238 9 months ago
Quoted from Schabs81:

Mine was built 2/4 as well no major issue just a few adjustments. Mine also has subway fix . Great game really do enjoy it. Buy now you wont regret it

What does the subway fix look like from the factory? Same as what others were doing aftermarket?

#5486 9 months ago

I went with LE for the GI and the front volume control/headphone jack. Shaker is nice but easy to add aftermarket. LED starfield I thought would be worth it but just meh. Topper I almost wish was just excluded from LE, it's just so lame and the lighting effects suck. But I've never been one for toppers anyhow, so no skin off my nose.

I think the volume control is the feature we use the most, so handy to switch between daytime and "whoops someone is sleeping" play.

#5608 9 months ago

This is the one thing I wasn't thrilled about... I absolutely support the idea that no layout/gameplay changes should occur as you step up through the tiers. The starmap is borderline, and could easily be replicated by an onscreen hint (if the real estate allowed), and the hint is also supplemental to another flashing shot indicator. I think having aesthetic/pride of purchase upgrades are much more effective in ensuring the designer's vision is fully realized.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Same here but I think JJP has limited their customer base by only offering games at a higher price point. I'm not sure if they will go the Stern pro / premium / LE route with future games. I honestly wouldn't be surprised.
JJP has kinda already started moving towards a pro, premium and LE model with Pirates. Pirates is the first JJP game to have an physical / coded gameplay feature, the star map toy on the LE, not featured on the standard.

4 weeks later
#7376 8 months ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

As I was stating working on a mod for the playfield which will cover the star map.
Here is a video sample... let me know what you think.

I hate it...

... because it's so good, I want it on the big screen. I know most purists on this thread like the lean mean pinball action that this game delivers, but I miss a bit of the theatrics (that they nailed so very well with Hobbit). Maybe they get annoying after awhile, but so does the chiming of chapter characters lighting up. And everything's skippable anyway.

Will the mod be purely visual? It wouldn't tie in to speakers at all would it? I'm very curious how you'd trigger specific animations.

#7377 8 months ago

**deleted**

#7381 8 months ago

But presumably the Shoot Again animation only makes sense when that's what's happening in the game, right? Or does it just show randomly/on a loop?

3 weeks later
#8874 7 months ago

The only think I'd miss, *really* miss, would be the external volume control. That gets a lot of use. Saves literally seconds off of having to grab a key and open the coin door.

I like the shaker during the chapter select, probably wouldn't notice it missing though. Starfield I don't use/notice, but the flashing playfield target I do (which is in the standard). The topper is weaksauce.

I'm glad I have the LE, but if SE were my only option, I'd certainly get one!

2 weeks later
#9586 6 months ago

Finally got around to swapping Captain Jack in for no-eyed Tom...

Sparrow in the Barrel (resized).png
3 weeks later
#10748 5 months ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I'd buy one of those clear plastic retainers to go around the maelstrom ...

Ditto.

1 month later
#11381 4 months ago
Quoted from arzoo:

The double-stick tape on my siderails wasn't adhering from day one. You can push on the sides and feel the rails flex slightly. I'd never seen that on any other pin, from any year. When I mentioned it to JJP they asked for pics and then sent me a new set of rails which seemed like overkill since all mine needed was new/more tape, but whatever, now I have a second set of LE siderails. On a side note, I've since checked other POTC and found they also have the issue with siderails not sticking.

I had this issue from day one on my LE too, but didn't think to contact JJP. It bothered me at first (my first and only NIB -- lots of other issues to work through but well worth the effort), but I forgot about it until just now.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, NE
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jordanb.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside