(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,885 posts
  • 633 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Buzzie
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pirates2 (resized).jpg
IMG_2296 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2297 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2298 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2299 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2301 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2300 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240330_165232 (resized).jpg
POTC_Mods_annotated (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 12.02.54 PM (resized).png
17117301082711484468150429261795 (resized).jpg
20240329_160033 (resized).jpg
431321214_1110342276953195_8816628931148154685_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #222 Liar's Dice rules explained! Posted by goren1818 (5 years ago)

Post #644 Rules flow chart Posted by Rbviessman (5 years ago)

Post #1021 How to fix black pearl lamps Posted by Yelobird (5 years ago)

Post #1360 Black Pearl flippers are uneven when in upper position - Fix Posted by evh347 (5 years ago)

Post #2468 Hardware fix for balls getting hung up during multiball. Posted by Pinballpal (5 years ago)

Post #2892 Adjustment for auto plunger not hitting balls cleanly or correctly Posted by Pinballpal (5 years ago)

Post #3974 Deadflip stream from Valentine’s Day 2019. Posted by Tuna_Delight (5 years ago)

Post #4014 POTC trouble shooting guide Posted by zaphX (5 years ago)

Post #4856 Possibly let distributor go through machine and get it tuned in. Posted by dgposter (5 years ago)

Post #6315 Fix for dauntless positioning, canon shots not landing Posted by Yelobird (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hogbog.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#216 5 years ago

Hey guys,

We'll explain it all on the stream tomorrow. Make sure to join us on twitch at 3pm central time.

Liar's dice is qualified via the Pirate lanes. It is added to the list of potential pirate lane awards up after you have completed the Pirate lanes three times. Once you've completed the lanes with it selected as your award, hit the Pirate stand-up and Liar's dice is lit on right orbit.

It is purposefully deep in the rules to help avoid casual players accidentally starting it and being completely lost.

Davey Jones always has it as a potential Pirate lane award.

2 weeks later
#303 5 years ago

Friday 10/12/18 at 3pm central: Live stream of POTC from the guys who made it.

Come check us out!

https://www.twitch.tv/jjplive

Be sure to subscribe to receive notifications in case we play unannounced again....

Oh, and a bonus stream Monday 10/15/18 @ 3pm of NEW CODE....FOR DIALED IN!!!!!!!!!! Hold onto your butts!

#362 5 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

So I drove an hour and a half yesterday to play the standard version POTC with my 9 year old son. We both loved it generally and it was a lot of fun, but there were a couple of unexpected issues:
1). The ball got stuck constantly under the right ball rail by the second pop bumper. We played about 20 games, ball must have gotten stuck 30 times. Every single time in the same spot. There seems to be an automated feature that moves the play field slightly and released the ball after about one minute, yet not consistently every time. We tilted three times just trying to nudge the ball lose. We were not able to play as many games as we wanted because we lost so much time getting the ball lose.
2). The game registers points and hits when you push the flipper button anytime the ball is still live, even if in the ball is waiting to be launched. As long as you keep hitting the button, you keep getting points 30 at a time. Weird error on a Jersey Jack machine. Would never have expected that.
3) the new disc works better than I thought and looks much bigger in person than online of course. It almost looks too big but Austin (my son) and I really liked the effect it had on the ball sometimes. The trade off they made to put the map rewards only on the screen now seems to have been a smart choice. We really liked how it worked. He plundered all my points on his first reward. He loved that.
4) trying to pay attention to the screen and the playfield at the same time is probably the toughest challenge with this particular pin, and we missed collecting gold multiple times because we couldn’t get it and keep the ball in play or just missed it. We both drained a few times trying to collect gold. We missed collecting a bunch.
We would have kept playing for hours longer if we could have, but we had to leave. Definitely want this pin. I’m on the order list for an LE.
Has anyone else experienced these issues 1 and 2 above? I assume the false point registering is an easy code fix but I have not read of these problems yet. The game is very well designed otherwise and plays fun throughout. I like that it does not repeat the same video clips or call outs over and over like some machines do.

Both sound like adjustment issues. Spotlight bent too low in the pops, and likely the switch in the Chapter Start area gapped too tight. Let me knew where you played it, and I'll reach out to the operator.

#386 5 years ago

Hey friends-

If you're coming to Chicago Pinball Expo this weekend, come say hi. If you have a Pirates already, or one on order, let me know. I'll have a little something special for you if we meet in person.

Cheers,

Eric

1 week later
#448 5 years ago

Upper left flipper should be adjusted such that a full plunge should feed the ball to the lower right flipper. Any SDTM from an auto launch or full plunge tells me the upper left flipper should be kicked out just a hair more. You can adjust it easily with an open ended 3/8ths wrench.

-the shmuck who designed it

#557 5 years ago
Quoted from goren1818:

I am loving my new game! I am still having two small issues. Does anyone have any insight? The right tortuga hole still occasionally hits the wireform above it when ejecting and then the ball goes SDTM. Coil strength changes do not appear to fix the problem. Also, occasionally my action button on the lockdown bar gets stuck down when pressed hard. I usually need to wiggle it back up. Has anyone experienced this?

Adjust your action button switch a bit lower. Take the glass off, lift the playfield up out of the way, grab your handy 5/16th nut driver, loosen the nuts a bit and move it down just a smidge so that when it's activated, it doesn't cause the button to go off-kilter and bind.

As far as the tortuga bracket- an adjustment to the bracket itself could fix your problem if you've already verified the screws are tight. Bend it down and slightly to the left and it should mitigate the issue.

Glad you're enjoying the game!

-E

#602 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Is there a guide published that explains the logic of mulitiball qualifying, completing and also the differentiation of flashing multiball lights vs solid etc?
I had 4 flashing at me and when I was done I think I had 3 lit solid on a 400k+ game.
I know there are 20+ videos but I thought somebody wrote this up a while back.

Flashing mb insert means it's ready to start on the respective movie's shot. Slow pulsing mb insert means you're actively playing it. Solid mb insert means you've played it. You can't "complete" movie mbs, but you can keep playing and earning super jackpots while it's running. We published a flowchart a while back, and someone started a very detailed thread on how to play too. Plus, my ugly mug is on those 20+ videos explaining the game at the start off each one. Guess you just need to invite me over for beers and dollar games and I'll walk you through it

#609 5 years ago
Quoted from JohnA:

Hello! My name is John, I'm new here, and I just got my JJP POTC SE few days ago. My local pinball guy set everything up for me, and it was working great. I'm having problems with 2 things that I hope this forum can help with.
1. I have a test report is showing this message: "Check matrixed switch #48, Target Ship Hit (stuck closed)" I have no idea how to fix this.
2. I don't have any sound or music in attract mode. I checked the settings and they're both turned on. We may have turned them off when we set it up, but now I never seem to get any sound except during game play.
Thanks in advance for the help, and for any advice that anyone is willing to provide. Like I said, I'm new with this machine, and still learning it.

Hey John,

If you go into Switch Test it will show the switch as red, meaning the game hasn't seen that switch hit in a while. If you don't know where that switch is, you can hit the start button and the playfield will pop on screen and show where all the switches are. The one you're looking for is in the Dauntless. I'm not sure we even have attract mode music in POTC, come to think of it....I'll check tomorrow.

#612 5 years ago
Quoted from Rbviessman:

I'd suggest that manufacturing attempt to run the bolts in on ALL units before they are boxed (with the protective plate on).

Heading to NJ this week. It is on my list.

#696 5 years ago
Quoted from VividPsychosis:

Did you have to remove the upper playfield to do this? If so, all the way? Or just the pin?

It is designed so you can adjust those without removing the playfield.

#811 5 years ago
Quoted from VividPsychosis:

I will offer $100 bucks cash to anyone that has the knowledge and know how to come and fix my machine. From the looks of it, it will likely involve removal of the upper playfield, and anything concerning flipper repair/soldering. I live in Chester VA right outside of Richmond. I have from 7pm tonight to tuesday night off. The earlier the better. This also comes with as many free games you want on POTC after, or WOZRR or HOBBIT.

PM me exactly whats going on. I'll help you personally.

#945 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Here's hoping that these issues do not represent a trend downward in JJP build quality and that things get tightened up with the latest production games.

I was on the production floor in NJ last week. Every issue that I've seen on here has been accounted for and corrected on games now going out the door. No more leg bolt issues, topper issues, or broken wires on the pearl. Other tweaks on the production floor should have the game arriving as close to perfection as any pinball possibly can. And if it doesn't, you know where to find me.

#989 5 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

I have been noticing the sdtm at the chapter start. When the post drops so does my balls
Other then nudging 350 pounds!
Could there be a 2 sec ball save?

Magnet should pulse before the post comes down to prevent that. Verify your magnet is working right, then see if adjusting the up post timing helps you out at all

#990 5 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I don't think this game is the game of the year...... I think its the game of the Century!!!

Awww shucks. You guys are making me blush.

#1035 5 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I found out the other day that you can stack the wizard modes with Tortuga MB. I'm surprised I had never done that before by accident. Potential for some big points playing the wizard modes with a multiball.

Ha! Gold star for you, John, you found a bug. I've never done it by accident either. However, it's fixed in the next release so it won't happen anymore. Wizard modes on POTC are intended to be intense, single-ball experiences.

2 weeks later
#1422 5 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

Ok thanks for the page, now maybe I'm over thinking this. When you open the movie by hitting the shot on the playfield the door opens and the cannon is displayed letting you know you have qualified to start a chapter for that movie.
the skull now moves down to the line below to tell you the same thing? is it in different spots just to tell you what order you opened up the movies? what would be the significance of that?

If I read what you're asking correctly, the skull icon under the open cannon port indicates the currently selected chapter from that movie that you have qualified. I'm pretty sure it has the Chapter title displayed somewhere there, but I'm not currently in front of a game(I'm at a bar a mile from the factory, actually. I've been in Lakewood NJ getting the CEs off the line). If you shoot that movie's shot again, the skull will move one position to the right, indicating that you have changed that movie's qualified chapter to the next one. Each movie has 5 chapters pulled from it's pool of 25ish at the beginning of the game, and the skull indicates which one from that movie you currently have as the contender to start if you shoot Chapter Start. If you only have one movie lit, obviously the Chapter that skull is indicating is what you will start. If you have multiple movies lit, then it will be a toss up between whichever chapter the skulls are currently referencing from the different movie's.... Hope that cleared it up! But I've had a couple 9% IPAs and am typing on my phone...sooooooo.....

#1613 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Anyone Mylar the disc yet?
Doesn’t seem like they protected the decal at all.

Don't do that. If you put mylar on the disk, it will literally do nothing to the ball. It is a specially designed polymer surface that grips the ball, and if you cover it...no more gripping.

#1664 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Nice, those are some cool rules! I updated my post to reflect.
I’d be impressed if someone has intentionally done this. Have any of the JJP guys done this on stream? Paging troz Karl, time to try some fun super jackpot goals

I think Joe K and I have both done it on stream. You're giving me ideas for things to focus on for upcoming episodes though...

#1819 5 years ago
Quoted from Rbviessman:

ltg hogbog a suggestion. How about labeling the wires for the ship?
[quoted image]

I'll reach out to production on this. The connectors for the optos are supposed to be color coded to match the opto controller board. The rj45 actually doesn't matter where it's plugged into that light board with all the jacks, since it's a parallel bus network (I designed that back in the Hobbit days, and it's still going strong)

Thanks for the feedback!

#1860 5 years ago
Quoted from VillaThrills:

So I hate to point this out to people, but why is the topper not centered on the LE? Can’t unsee it now.

It is centered. It's just the perspective from his photo that makes it look off-center.

#1960 5 years ago
Quoted from VillaThrills:

Never really thought about it but you can buy the CE playfield?

No you can't. Not unless you're a CE owner.

#2029 5 years ago
Quoted from roddog:

- The dang playfield is so tight. Every time I put the playfield up, I have a heck of a time getting it back inside the box. What am I doing wrong? My other pins are not like this.

Did you remove the shipping block behind the playfield?

#2036 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Do we have any confirmation the short wiring to the pearl is still an issue? Maybe they’ve added more at the factory.

The wire routing has been addressed and should no longer be an issue.

#2147 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Has anyone reported problems (and fixes) with The Depths VUK yet?
We’ve been playing a few hours and I noticed The Depths starting to struggle, taking 2-3 tries to eject the ball.

Adjust the power for the coil. Every coil can be individually adjustable in the Coil Settings menu. Different power, pitch, environment, etc can affect the coils. We configure then best we can for average conditions, but you're welcomed to and encouraged to adjust for your unique setup.

#2199 5 years ago
Quoted from kse001:

Just got my game set up recently and finally started trying to play it. Have had a couple minor issues with balls getting stuck.
One of them has been discussed here already: the gate at the top of the right ramp. I've tried tightening the right screw to lower the right side as suggested, but it was already pretty tight so I'm not sure it's going to make much difference. Will have to see.
The second one is the left orbit and it's happened multiple times. I had some thoughts about trying to bend the bracket or adding washers under it, but figured I'd post a couple pics and see if someone might be able to confirm or suggest some other action based on how mine looks compared to their own game.
Appreciate any help. Thanks,
Kyle
[quoted image][quoted image]

Bracket needs to be bent up. Should be at a 90 off the playfield and allow ample clearance for the ball to roll under. It's not the arm that's hitting, it's actuality the head of the screw that retains the coil which is catching the ball. I saw it on one other game.

Cheers,

E

#2280 5 years ago
Quoted from Genjuro:

Same here.... but glad I did since it ultimately led me to get my CE.
Of note, anyone know if this block should be removed?[quoted image]

It's a shipping block that should be removed and stored in the game . It will make your playfield harder than necessary to put back in the cabinet if left in.
Reinstall if you ever move your game folded on its back.

#2295 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

I think I found a possible bug? If I disable codex tips, my bonus screens will often be black with just the bonus points shown. If I enable codex tips again, the bonus screen will always have an image/video clip in the background. Anyone else seen this behavior?

Gold star for you. First time I've seen this one. We'll take a look Wednesday!

#2312 5 years ago
Quoted from SheriffBarclay:

First pinball machine and I love it, but intimidated trying to fix all the things that are popping up.
The ship isn't moving anymore during the game or when I try to run the ship test, however, when I start to pull the playfield out of the cabinet and onto the rails, the ship starts rocking back and forth, and then slows down, and slows further..and further..and further until it stops, almost like it's running out of batteries (I know that's not what's happening, just giving a visual).
Any ideas? Is this under the playfield? Is it on the playfield, under the ship?

Sounds like it is binding on the playfield main harness. Make sure the main harness is off to the right when putting the playfield back in. I've seen the harness bind that motor linkage when it had a weird kink in it.

1 week later
#2624 5 years ago
Quoted from Ramjet:

Thanks Yelobird,
I did something similar last night, I had two thin pieces of wood and put them in the cannon tray , my alignment is worse than yours, further to the right of the Dauntless.
Eric/Lloyd: Is the cannon shooting tray under the Black Pearl adjustable?

It is not. Dauntless sounds like it's too far forward. That has a big fat spacer located on the shaft to bring it back a bit. There is room to move it back a bit more too.

What's your playfield pitch?

#2629 5 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

hogbog I was playing today and I think I ran into a bug. During my game I played 4 wizard modes and actually completed two of them (Chest and Left Ramp). I had never completed a wizard mode before and I know that there is maybe only one other person that has ever completed one that plays the machine that I play on route. Anyway, when it was over, I was Will Champ, but nothing else. The left ramp current wizard mode champ is only 300k and I can't believe I didn't pass that when I completed the entire mode. I did well in the chapters and didn't time anything out, so values should have been at least decent. Same thing with the chest, not a very high current champ value, but no champ initials opportunity when my game was over. So I'm thinking that if you complete a wizard mode, it may not let you be the champion of it. I could be wrong, but I think it is worth checking. Can you guys take a look at that? Thanks.

Scoring on particular movie's wizard modes is very dependent upon the number of super jackpots achieved during that movie's mb, and characters collected during that movie's chapters. If you do subpar in either of those qualifiers(not throwing shade John, just explaining), the score will definitely be less than 300k, even for full completion. Doing average (collecting approximately half the characters and scoring at least one Super jackpot) should yield an average wizard mode score of about 250k. Your Scoring Level (viewable on the Wizard Mode Status Report page), shows where you are, where around 20-25 is considered average. I'll check into it Monday though.

Cheers,

E

#2630 5 years ago
Quoted from Ramjet:

Here is a picture of mine, the ball always hits to the right of the hole. I checked the Dauntless and it moves freely back and forth. There isn't any room to add a washer or two to the spacer on the Dauntless, it's very tight.
[quoted image]

Post some pics of your Pearl as well, or pm them to me. Something seems off.

1 week later
#2853 5 years ago

POTC is in the tournament lineup at INDISC! Check out the modifications to the game that Karl implemented to make it a bit more challenging...

https://www.neverdrains.com//2019/playerIndex.php?disp=game&sel=Main&game=105

Lightning flippers, no outline posts, and some software difficulty increases!

3 weeks later
#3383 5 years ago

I guess I'll have to bring him a box of chocolates!

will_you_be_my_valentine (resized).jpgwill_you_be_my_valentine (resized).jpg
#3469 5 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

And fix the chest multiball please. It’s the easiest to get and it sucks when you can’t get it anymore....
[quoted image]

Bug has been corrected on the latest software, which will be dropping in the next couple weeks.

3 weeks later
#4839 5 years ago
Quoted from philsublime:

Hope you can hear it. is it supposed to be coins maybe?

It happens all the time during gameplay as well. But I never hear coins dropping.

It is your Chapter Select Rubber switch(es). They need to be adjusted slightly more open. The vibration from your flipper is causing one or both of them to activate. It's the sound-effect you are hearing when they are hit (sounds like ratcheting). Switch 57 or 63.

Cheers,

E

#5257 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

I will add one more item that I know has been said already .. THIS MF'ER IS HEAVY AS HELL!
I mean really even the PF weighs a ton on its own. By far the heaviest pin that has ever been in my house.

I'm not sorry.

1 week later
#5761 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Your playfield hooks have likely bent from the weight of the playfield, which lowers the auto-plunge bracket into the path of the manual plunger. Lift the playfield onto the service rails and bend the two hooks down a little. This commonly happens over time with JJP machines we've had (except WoZ). I don't know why they don't use harder metal on the hooks so they don't bend over time.

We created new hooks before POTC because of this issue. Likely just need to adjust the shooter housing down a bit. Pretty sure you could hang a semi from these hooks now and not bend them. You will see if you pull the apron on Pirates vs Hobbit, for example.

#5780 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Can we buy the new hooks , for example The Hobbit to avoid any future possible problems

Unfortunately, no. They would require cutting your apron due to being mounted differently.

1 year later
#15041 3 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I DID IT, I DID IT, I DID IT!!!
I figured I'd just go down and play a quick game, little did I know I would end up beating Pirates of the Caribbean for the first time ever. The final wizard mode isn't in the game yet but I got to all five movie wizard modes and played them all and then kept going. With 2 balls left and EB lit, I had the last two wizard modes lit. In perfect fashion, next ball, plunge, bricked the shot and quick drain...also tilted trying to save it and lost 486,000 in bonus to boot which was fantastic. Got At World's End started with 1 ball left and played through it, then drained. Had to collect my EB on my last ball and got Dead Men Tell No Tales started to seal it and then kept going! Ended up with over 15 million. Absolutely amazing game! I can't believe there is still more to come!?!? Thank you hogbog and team!
So now I could legitimately complain that the final wizard mode isn't in the game because I would have played it, but you know what? I don't mind, take your time, do it right, make it awesome and I'll be back! I love this game!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Congratulations John! Thanks for the kind words as well! Looking forward to getting the code out for everyone to enjoy!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
24,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanted
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hogbog.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club?tu=hogbog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.