(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,875 posts
  • 633 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 hours ago by Mrsiyufy
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
20240330_165232 (resized).jpg
POTC_Mods_annotated (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 12.02.54 PM (resized).png
17117301082711484468150429261795 (resized).jpg
20240329_160033 (resized).jpg
431321214_1110342276953195_8816628931148154685_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240204_044856660.MP (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240203-170723 (resized).png
PXL_20240128_214506994 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240128_224833483.MP (resized).jpg
IMG_0980 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0982 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0981 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #222 Liar's Dice rules explained! Posted by goren1818 (5 years ago)

Post #644 Rules flow chart Posted by Rbviessman (5 years ago)

Post #1021 How to fix black pearl lamps Posted by Yelobird (5 years ago)

Post #1360 Black Pearl flippers are uneven when in upper position - Fix Posted by evh347 (5 years ago)

Post #2468 Hardware fix for balls getting hung up during multiball. Posted by Pinballpal (5 years ago)

Post #2892 Adjustment for auto plunger not hitting balls cleanly or correctly Posted by Pinballpal (5 years ago)

Post #3974 Deadflip stream from Valentine’s Day 2019. Posted by Tuna_Delight (5 years ago)

Post #4014 POTC trouble shooting guide Posted by zaphX (5 years ago)

Post #4856 Possibly let distributor go through machine and get it tuned in. Posted by dgposter (5 years ago)

Post #6315 Fix for dauntless positioning, canon shots not landing Posted by Yelobird (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fnosm.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16400 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

there’s people on here that buy every single game released.

But they aren't in the market because they already own one.

2 weeks later
#16459 3 years ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

Jjp said still no plans to do a rerun

Don't ruin the fantasy.

2 months later
#16835 2 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Hobbit code update just dropped; enables internet connectivity (wired and wireless with wi-fi adapter), bluetooth, and Scorbit. I want to believe this means Pirates might get updated eventually, but I'm not holding my breath!

Someone is paying for this (Scorebit?) so I expect the entire JJP catalog will support WiFi/Scorebit in the near future.

10 months later
#17523 2 years ago

Looking at some mods. The full Starfield backpanel, the wooden speaker panel from backalley and the lior lockdown bar mod.
Anybody have these and feel like sharing your thoughts? It would be much appreciated. Also if anyone is looking to sell their Lior POTC mods. Hit me up.

#17525 2 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

The illuminated starfield is awesome if you have an SE. On the LE it's not quite as good because the lights look different from the ones in the existing starmap. For the lockdown bar, I prefer the look of the gold coins over the Lior one. Just my opinion. I haven't seen the speaker panel... you sure that's not for the Stern machine? JJPs don't really have a speaker panel.

Thanks for your feedback. I have the little pile of coins and it rubs me the wrong way. Not really loving Lior's either. I will keep looking.
You are right the speaker panel is for the Stern DOH, what was I thinking? This game if pure magic. I can't seem to get enough.

1 week later
#17554 2 years ago
Quoted from AMSNL:Yeah fucking nuts!

Anyone flip theirs for 5K yet?

#17562 2 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I'm one of the morons that's in on this topper.

you've got lots of company

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

1 week later
#17614 1 year ago
Quoted from AMSNL:

Wow good job on the paint! Looks good.

+1

7 months later
#18030 1 year ago
Quoted from 1963BSARGS:

The good news is that if you join telegram you will not only get access to the beta code, you will also get relentlessly catfished by every scammer on the web. I have blocked over 100 random scammers that made unsolicited contact since joining. Pain in the ass.

Too true, but so far its been worth it.

Just to be clear, on telegram you get added to all kinds of scam groups which you can easily cancel and report as spam.

2 months later
#18233 1 year ago
Quoted from darkryder:

I might still install them...holding onto them for now. I know they look beautiful when installed properly. I have butter decals on my Alice Cooper and they look insane!

'Butter' is decals? I heard or read or maybe made it up that butter was a direct cabinet printing process. Any info is appreciated.

#18247 1 year ago

My monitor on POTC LE is displaying patterns of snow. Has anyone else seen/found a fix for this?
To date I have tried power cycling the game and unplugging and replugging the connectors at the computer and monitor, but neither action helped.

1 month later
#18319 1 year ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

I honestly don't think there is a better shot in pinball than the extra ball shot on POTC. It just feels so amazing when you hit it!

The DI SIM card shot is quite a rush as well.

1 month later
#18367 11 months ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Those cup holders are cool but 65 bucks for a cup holder? Why is everything so ridiculous when it comes to pinball?

Answer your own question by making mods and selling them cheap.

1 month later
#18391 9 months ago
#18399 9 months ago

Beta 6 just released.
Goodbye Scorbit, goodbye sound issues.

3 months later
#18560 6 months ago
Quoted from insight75:

Where is this prototype? Any link?

The Prototype is DownUnder.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/165091

1 month later
#18602 5 months ago
Quoted from arzoo:

I'm glad Jack finally put this to rest. Personally I'm not planning on selling, but Pirates is definitely the most valuable pin in my collection.

Here is Jack's quote:
"I guess that's why the rearview mirror is small and the windshield is big. We're going forward and we really don't have time to go backwards and re-run things that we did in the past. I'm not looking at Vault games. I'm not looking at re-running things. I'm really not looking at that stuff. It's not in the plan of the Company to do that."

Jack is the consummate practitioner of making you think he has answered your question without actually saying anything. Say you are Jack and after you have decided to do a rerun of any game, someone throws this quote in your face. How would you respond other than to say, I never said we wouldn't do it. Re-read the quote, how many words like "won't", "aren't", and "never" did you find?

In Jack's defense, this is a bad question to be asked and one that he, (or any manufacturer), will never and should never answer directly.

If I were Jack and this question was asked to me, this is what I would be thinking:

"Thank you Loserkid for asking me this question yet again. As you know, I get this question daily and I will never give a specific answer because it is a lose-lose for me and my company to say anything definitive on this subject. The most truthful answer that I could ever give to this question is; Our mission is to make the most amazing pinball machines ever produced because we love pinball. In our industry survival depends on keeping what we're going to produce and when were going to produce it a secret. When it makes sense, we share our plans, but not before. We do this to maximize sales, live to fight another day, and continue to push the envelope on what pinball can be. Since this answer won't satisfy you enough to change the topic, I will instead provide you with an allusion to the past and the future and how it relates to our short term plan*, then, you can decide what it means to you, and I can run my business as I see fit."
*(our 'plan' is carefully thought out but always subject to change.)

1 week later
#18610 4 months ago
Quoted from zaphX:

... I truly like their games best....

Even with all the missteps, JJP's are still the games I like the best too. Pricing will probably always be 'high' because they have been and continue to position themselves as the premium product in the market. Not awesome for sure, but it is what it is. If the creek don't rise, I have faith that code will be right - someday. I don't buy the game for the license, but for sure some are more desirable than others. And LTG nailed it on the manuals. They are garbage since Butch. They went from the best to the worst in one fell swoop. It is true that no one buys a machine because of the manual, but JJP will never truly be a premium brand with those sacks of shit they are calling manuals today. They are humiliating to JJP, the designers, and the customers.

2 weeks later
#18641 4 months ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

Play with your pitch a little maybe. I can say that those are my most common drain areas too

This is how I run my pirates and I don't see a lot of SDTM.

#18648 4 months ago
Quoted from glpinball:

Hmm this is what my pitch looks like. Do I need to increase it?[quoted image]

I run mine very steep. So fast and so fun. With this setup some of the ramps can be a bit of a challenge. Play around a bit and see what works for you.

#18655 4 months ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I think your answer is "Both". The gameplay and rules are top notch. I've been in the hobby since 2009 and I've played most everything. It's one of the greatest games ever made. Now couple that with the low production and you've got sky high prices. Buy an SE if you can find one. SE is the low end model but also the rarest of the rare. If everything I have read is true, they only made about 150 SE's. I was lucky enough to get one a few years ago for 9,500.
Here's another thing about POTC. A lot of players have either never played one, or only played a couple games at a show. I'm positive that if more games were out there and more people really got the chance to put some time in on this amazing game, it would be known as one of the greatest. Right now, I hear a lot of people saying it is like JJP's 2nd or 3rd best game. No Way!

A widebody loaded with mechs and super fun to play. Compared to some of the other games (EHOH, JB 60th...) that have crazy price tags on them, POTC is great value for your hard earned pieces of eight. One other thing to consider is that prices are significantly lower than they have been since this game caught fire and there are several for sale (LE & CE) so you can be choosey. When JJP releases the final wizard mode, expect prices to jump.

#18670 4 months ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I've played all 5 mini wizard modes twice. Key word here is "played". Assuming you just have to play them all to light the eventual Break The Curse wizard mode, it definitely is possible although not easy by any means. Now say you have to complete all the mini wizard modes to light it...then forget it. You have better odds of getting hit by lightning twice while cashing in a Mega Millions Jackpot winning lottery ticket. As it sits now, after you play them all you just keep playing the game but can't start any more modes.

I've never gotten close, but was standing next to a friend that got 66666 and that was awesome. Just to clarify, do you mean, after you complete all the mini wizard modes, you can't start any more modes?

1 week later
#18675 3 months ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:

Tried to find this and got a couple different answers. Can anyone tell me the exact height of a CE (with topper)?

The topper is an even 10"
The CE from the topper to the floor is 88".

1 week later
#18681 3 months ago

My GnR battery failed last week. When I put it on the meter it registered 0.32 and yes I was using my meter correctly.

#18697 3 months ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Anyone care to comment on what a POTCLE is worth these days?
Mine is in excellent condition lots of mods (yes I know can't factor that in there but they are there).
We are considering selling it in order to get 2 machines (one being and MMR).
Still not sure we want to do it but I personally want an MMR and we have already ordered another game so something does need to leave the collection.

So peak of the market this game with a few Lior(Art Of Pinball) mods sold everyday for 25k.
Since then things have changed.
The market is softer now than it was a couple of years ago and the bulk of the newer collectors are still in the I love a stern game why pay more phase of their addiction. This group will start to gravitate to JJP games but probably not be willing to pay the premium required to elevate their collection for a while.
For that to happen the market will need to get hot again and the team JJP bashers intent on goading JJP to up their software will need to come back into the fold, hopefully because their campaign has been successful.

Trading POTC for a MM as you said is based on getting the value out of your POTC. Either you bought high, like me, or bought early and have a windfall coming your way. In either case if you want to sell it now, you will be leaving money on the table. How long will it take to rebound? Probably a couple of years. The time to sell your POTC to maximize your gain/minimize your loss was a couple of years ago. If you just love MM to death and are willing to take the hit then go for it. Price your POTC at 19 and see what happens. Then keep lowering it till someone bites. MM should be trading lower now as basically all games are so don't pay extra for it. But don't forget that the chances of adding another game to your collection that will take the place of POTC is pretty slim. There is a reason this game is expensive and it isn't only because it is limited. DI (a phenomenal game IMHO) is limited and can be had everyday for less than 10K.

Why not sell some of the other games in your collection, where the loss on the sale will be much less in absolute $ terms, make some space and hold on to your POTC until the market recovers. Everyone thinks that JJP won't do a remake, and no game since POTC comes close to being the ultimate world under glass.

#18699 3 months ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Appreciate your advice and honesty.
Yeah I know the time to sell was a few years ago but at that time we had no intention of letting it go unless it got to 30k.
We do like the game a lot but not as much as the others in our collection (certain ones are never leaving MBR, GZ, Scooby for sure and we really don't want to sell CCR or WCS). We have (I guess I have tbh) always wanted and MM. The wife is ok with selling as she has her MBR, Scooby and has LT coming and she loves the other 2 games we have as well.
Selling/trading POTC covers the cost of 2 games (even if one is MM/MMR). Do I like leaving money on the table - heck no but it happens all the time. And in truth in 20 years I have made money on a pin sale/trade just once and only once. I don't get games to make money though. I get them because we like them and want to own and play for an extended period of time. Do I like losing my shirt when I sell, no but I have and realize I will again on some of the games I have now. POTC will be the only game I make real money on (ie more than a few hundred dollars).
In reality if I cannot swing a good enough deal then we will skip MMR and just keep POTC and keep playing it. We don't dislike the game but it is the least played game of our 6 these days. Guests ooh and ahh over it all the time and think its neat but w/o greater understanding of rules, gameplay, strategy they gravitate towards simpler hit it - bash it - smack that target - etc games.
I will just have to see what happens if/when I list it.
Again thank you for your comments and insight as it is needed.

It sounds like your players know what they like and Pirates sounds like the outlier for sure.
I hope you get a decent price for your game and the MMR you've got your heart set on.

2 months later
#18820 20 days ago
Quoted from epotech:

Just added mirror blades and I can now see this mech.
Does anyone make something to hide this?
[quoted image]

You might get some black cling film and put it on the mirror where it reflects the switch. Probably won't be as noticeable as the switch is while you are playing it.

#18821 20 days ago
Quoted from arzoo:

[quoted image]
I would say the most important is the Chest open/close mod!

C'mon all the lior mods on your machine are unobtanium.

Of the mods that are still available, The Mod Couple has a great collection
https://themodcouplepinball.com/collections/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-custom-mods-collection

and the quiet wheel mod and chest opener mod at PMC are good too.
https://pinballmods.co/pirates-of-the-caribbean-jjp

#18825 19 days ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:

I am toying with doing some CAD work to make some seaweed for the legs. Maybe a different version for around the lockdown button. I have several ideas for this.

When you do please post pictures, these sound great.

#18827 19 days ago

Another mod to consider is the Magnetic Reed Switch (mrs) to replace the maelstrom switch.
Simple to install, works great and much better looking than the ramp switch, because you can't see it.

M and M creations make many different versions and has several threads here. I couldn't find a picture of the POTC mod but I have put it into two different POTC's with great results both times.
Here is a link to one of their threads:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mampm-creations-mrs-catalog

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fnosm.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club?tu=fnosm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.