(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 13,706 posts
  • 488 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 17 hours ago by f3honda4me
  • Topic is favorited by 228 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,379 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
20190302_095026 (resized).jpg
20200115_165440 (resized).jpg
images (9) (resized).jpeg
95C4CB14-59C4-41DA-B7AC-8C4FF0125BB9 (resized).jpeg
3228507D-1602-479A-B237-F90F837EE8CC (resized).jpeg
55F66B1B-16CC-4EAC-B4EA-0E4556E7DB1D (resized).jpeg
847FB87B-D45A-4837-A8CE-48134F15C159 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2045 (resized).jpeg
POTC (resized).jpg
37923A40-A45C-410E-825E-DBCB4E3A8F46 (resized).jpeg
6062C038-6F57-49EB-8CD3-7FD50DC22C12 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2020-01-06 at 1.36.44 AM (resized).png
IMG_1177 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #222 Liar's Dice rules explained! Posted by goren1818 (1 year ago)

Post #644 Rules flow chart Posted by Rbviessman (1 year ago)

Post #1021 How to fix black pearl lamps Posted by Yelobird (1 year ago)

Post #1360 Black Pearl flippers are uneven when in upper position - Fix Posted by evh347 (1 year ago)

Post #2468 Hardware fix for balls getting hung up during multiball. Posted by Pinballpal (1 year ago)

Post #2892 Adjustment for auto plunger not hitting balls cleanly or correctly Posted by Pinballpal (1 year ago)

Post #3974 Deadflip stream from Valentine’s Day 2019. Posted by Tuna_Delight (11 months ago)

Post #4014 POTC trouble shooting guide Posted by zaphX (11 months ago)

Post #4856 Possibly let distributor go through machine and get it tuned in. Posted by dgposter (10 months ago)

Post #6315 Fix for dauntless positioning, canon shots not landing Posted by Yelobird (9 months ago)

Post #6631 Twitch Video - How to Remove and Reinstall Black Pearl Upper Playfield Posted by KevInBuffalo (9 months ago)

Post #6655 Mylar bubble at jjPotC Map hole. Posted by thc666 (9 months ago)

Post #6834 Titan ring sizes Posted by AUKraut (9 months ago)

Post #8145 Positives and Negatives for each character Posted by EaglePin (9 months ago)

Post #8288 Rubber Sizing and Location on Playfield Posted by f3honda4me (8 months ago)

Post #8602 How to see pictures the game has taken Posted by f3honda4me (8 months ago)

Post #8625 Version .99 release notes as of 5/6/2019 Posted by pinball_keefer (8 months ago)

Post #8709 How to backup settings before installing an update Posted by LTG (8 months ago)

Post #9273 Version .99 Character Plus and Minus Benefits Posted by pinball_keefer (8 months ago)

Post #11892 Clear concise video on removing the black pearl Posted by rlslick (5 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flippinjb.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2654 1 year ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Must be a jjp thing my Hobbit does it as well .

Agreed - DI does it as well. I have DI next to POTC, and when switching them both on together at the power outlet, it sounds like a comedy rimshot (badum-tssh!)

I quite like it

1 week later
#2885 1 year ago

The more I play this game, the more I like it. I’ve had POTC for about 2 months, and not really had the time for a really good session without friends there, putting me off with their shouting and sloshing beer around.

I’m an average player (and that’s being kind to myself!), but after watching the video linked earlier in this thread where Keefer went through the rules, I concentrated on chapters, using Tia Dalma as my character so I could focus on one movie. With lots of nudging and swearing, I managed to get myself just one chapter off an episode’s wizard mode (the one on the Maelstrom ramp – the only shot I can make reliably). I now also understand the skull value!!

The atmosphere created by the music, sounds and lighting is second to none, IMHO. Can’t wait for my next game, and it will be a long time before this one leaves my collection! Brilliant.

#2887 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

I still don't understand the skull value!! haha

I know what you mean. It took me some time as well. And I *think* this is right, but happy to be corrected!

Once you've started a chapter, every lit character shot scores the skull value, shown on the monitor beneath each movie (1-5).

Using the Maelstrom ramp as an example, shoot the ramp to qualify its movie. The door on the monitor will open to show that a chapter for that movie is ready to start. You can increase the skull value by shooting the ramp again, or through a mystery award, or probably through some other means! On the display, the skull value under the cannon shows the current skull value (i.e. the value of collecting each character in the chapter).

You can multiply these values. Heaven knows how! One way is to have more than one movie lit when you start the chapter. I believe each extra movie lit adds 0.5x to your winnings from the chapter you're currently playing.

I hope this rambling reply helps some!

1 week later
#3140 11 months ago

I've been in this hobby for a long time, had quite a few pins pass through my hands, and I can honestly say that JJPOTC is the best all-round pin I've owned. For me, the lack of movie clips which some people berate this pin for is just not an issue. The excellent music, sounds and lighting are truly immersive; the rules are deep but attainable; and the shots are smooth as silk. It will be a while before this one leaves my collection. Whatever your choice, I hope you enjoy your new game!

#3150 11 months ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Believe it or not, it was much more active when I had it lower than it is now! It’s like concentrating the weight so far down increased the pendulum action.

Could you try widening the brass ring carefully? (*Snap!*)

#3151 11 months ago

Is there a video anywhere showing how to remove the ship safely? I have a wire off (green-brown) as all the switches in the column are not working. Stuck my finger underneath and gently wiggled things around a bit with one of the switches pressed in, and it registered, so I'm sure that's where the problem is. Damnit!

#3156 11 months ago

Thanks LTG, I'll give it a go

#3282 11 months ago
Quoted from FlippinJB:

Is there a video anywhere showing how to remove the ship safely? I have a wire off (green-brown) as all the switches in the column are not working. Stuck my finger underneath and gently wiggled things around a bit with one of the switches pressed in, and it registered, so I'm sure that's where the problem is. Damnit!

Must say I was dreading removing the ship, but following LTG’s instructions, it was reasonably easy (sorry about the rubbish pic).

Laid the ship on its side, and when I got under there, the brown/green wire was off because it had broken at the insulation. Must say, the factory soldering job was sloppy at best. It looked like a blindfolded five year old had played 'pin the tail on the donkey' with a soldering iron while dizzy on lemonade. The loom at this point was too tight, so I removed a couple of wire ties.

Getting the ship back on again was another matter, although I’m sure this gets easier with practise. So, the Black Pearl is up and running again. What a great game. Thanks LTG.

LOOM (resized).jpg
#3286 11 months ago
Quoted from DANGERTERROR:

Getting the ship back in is really a struggle every time for me. I have no tips. I’ve done it 3 times and it just *doesn’t seem to fit* back in. Until it does.

Agreed. I was flapping about with it for ages. The only tip I would give is to get the front part of the ship under the ramp first, and than wiggle things around gently.

#3313 11 months ago
Quoted from Captchaos:

Anyone having issue with the pinballs not being released from the chest after being locked? I checked the mech and it works, during multi ball I see it trying to release but the balls seem stuck. Thoughts?

This happened once to me. The mech moved, but not enough to release the balls. It tried a few times, and eventually opened wide enough to let a ball pass through. It hasn't happened since, and I'd forgotten about it to be honest before I read this post. Hmm.

#3498 11 months ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

wire breaking under mini playfield

Don't be too concerned about removing the ship. It's in there tight, but with a bit of jigging around, it can be done - see LTG's previous post on page 64 of this thread.

For me, putting it back in place was more difficult. What seemed to work best was pushing the front end just under the ramp first, and then wiggling it around until the bracket with the 'male' end engaged with the 'female' bracket standup thingy on the playfield. It was easy to see when it had engaged, as the ship pivoted left and right in a controlled way when I moved it with my hand. Then it was just a case of putting the allen-type screw back in on the back of the ship, and the washer/pin behind the playfield.

I'll be better at it next time (although I'm hoping nothing else will go wrong under there), and there will be less swearing/sweating.

Addition: while you've got the ship off, I suggest you check whether the wiring loom is too tight. Mine was, and I snipped a couple of wire-ties to loosen it. Hopefully the wires won't get in the path of the ball when it enters the lanes below the ship, but I'll post here if that happens. Best of luck!

#3500 11 months ago

Here's a suggestion for a future update. When pressing start, a random character is pre-selected and flipping left/right moves the selection (unless I'm missing something, which has happened before! ). How about having the previously-selected character already selected at the beginning of a new game? I'm all about Tia Dalma at the moment, as I'm trying my best to get to a chapter's wizard mode. But each time I start a new game I have to flip around to get back to the lovely Tia.

Maybe this could be a setting? Just an idea!

2 weeks later
#4429 11 months ago
Quoted from Captchaos:

Anyone having issue with the pinballs not being released from the chest after being locked? I checked the mech and it works, during multi ball I see it trying to release but the balls seem stuck. Thoughts?

This happened to me again today, with 2 balls in the lock. Checked the thread, and there doesn't seem to be a resolution aside from to adjust the mechanism. I wondered whether anyone had any success with this, and how exactly they adjusted the mechanism. Would increasing the coil strength be a good recommendation? This could be a good addition for the brilliant http://tinyurl.com/potcfixes doc.

Interestingly, the game went into ball search (which then timed out the chapter I was playing rather well at the time) and after a few searches, it ended my ball! After shouting, "Oh fiddlesticks" I let the next ball start, and at this point the game got rather confused. It managed to eject a ball from the lock, which I drained eventually, and then it just sat there for a bit. Then it released the other ball which I continued playing (badly).

#4902 10 months ago

Here's a thought. Would it be a good idea to disable the flippers while selecting your character at the beginning of a game? And how about leaving the previously-chosen character selected when starting a new game?

1 month later
#7012 9 months ago
Quoted from wheels:

I had the green and brown wire problem on the Pearl that many had. When I removed and examined it, it wasn't obvious where the problem was, so I resoldered every switch where the wire was. 6 switches, if I recall correctly. Also resoldered another wire at one of the switches. I now have lights and sounds I didn't have before and the cannon is obviously more accessible. My take is that many of the switches were thin on solder. It may be worthwhile to resolder all of the switches when you remove the Pearl.

Actually that's a really good call. Wish I'd have done that when I had the BP off to solder the green/brown wire. Must say, the solder job under there was amateur at best, as others have mentioned.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
11,500 (Firm)
Sale Pending!
Nashville, TN
$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flippinjb.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside