(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,810 posts
  • 633 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by insight75
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

431321214_1110342276953195_8816628931148154685_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240204_044856660.MP (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240203-170723 (resized).png
PXL_20240128_214506994 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240128_224833483.MP (resized).jpg
IMG_0980 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0982 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0981 (resized).jpeg
download (resized).jpg
IMG_6275 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6274 (resized).jpeg
8b9srv (resized).jpg
20231211_131402 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #222 Liar's Dice rules explained! Posted by goren1818 (5 years ago)

Post #644 Rules flow chart Posted by Rbviessman (5 years ago)

Post #1021 How to fix black pearl lamps Posted by Yelobird (5 years ago)

Post #1360 Black Pearl flippers are uneven when in upper position - Fix Posted by evh347 (5 years ago)

Post #2468 Hardware fix for balls getting hung up during multiball. Posted by Pinballpal (5 years ago)

Post #2892 Adjustment for auto plunger not hitting balls cleanly or correctly Posted by Pinballpal (5 years ago)

Post #3974 Deadflip stream from Valentine’s Day 2019. Posted by Tuna_Delight (5 years ago)

Post #4014 POTC trouble shooting guide Posted by zaphX (5 years ago)

Post #4856 Possibly let distributor go through machine and get it tuned in. Posted by dgposter (5 years ago)

Post #6315 Fix for dauntless positioning, canon shots not landing Posted by Yelobird (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider f3honda4me.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

350 posts in this topic match your search for posts by f3honda4me. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1824 5 years ago

I get my POTC LE tomorrow and it feels like Christmas came early. So excited!

Going to pick out some mod couple mods next.

Are any of you using aftermarket pinballs such as Marco Silverjet premium?

#1826 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

They will magnetize....

Thanks. Any suggestions on some that won’t?

#1830 5 years ago

Thank you kindly.

#1832 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Yes what BigD said. We tried a Shiny ball set in Pirates and almost Instantly the balls were magnitized and would not roll through the ball trough. Never seen that much myself but there are some serious awsome magents on POTC. Put the Barron or stock balls in the game and it functioned perfectly. Congrats on your awsome new game!! I helped wrap it. Lol. FYI it’s as heavy as a Tank!!

I hired some muscle to move it

#1834 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Yes what BigD said. We tried a Shiny ball set in Pirates and almost Instantly the balls were magnitized and would not roll through the ball trough. Never seen that much myself but there are some serious awsome magents on POTC. Put the Barron or stock balls in the game and it functioned perfectly. Congrats on your awsome new game!! I helped wrap it. Lol. FYI it’s as heavy as a Tank!!

Also just placed my first order with you. Looking forward to it!

#1873 5 years ago

My POTC LE has found its home!

E21F3FB7-D06F-4D21-8732-B4374A910F5B (resized).jpegE21F3FB7-D06F-4D21-8732-B4374A910F5B (resized).jpeg
#1875 5 years ago

Hey the kick out for the "mystery/tortuga" is very erratic. I'm thinking I'd like to turn down the strength of the kickout a bit to see if that prevents the bad habit it has of kicking SDTM sometimes, but can't find the setting for it in the menu under coil settings? Anyone else made any adjustment to that kickout to prevent the instant SDTM?

#1876 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Awesome congrats looks like he is loving it! Going to be a fun holiday!

Thanks! I think next on my wishlight might be a WOZ.

#1881 5 years ago
Quoted from WolfManCat:

I had to increase my power to the coil. It hits the left flipper every time now. Should be found under system settings/coils/tortuga vuk

I am blind or something. I see nothing with tortuga in the name under coil settings.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#1889 5 years ago

Also noticed another oddity. When idle it cycles through all the normal screen. But then at some point it turns all lights off, brings up a command screen and shows version and other info and says file loading. Then a few seconds later back to normal.

3419B7A1-23E4-48D7-BA66-3337ED372A6A (resized).jpeg3419B7A1-23E4-48D7-BA66-3337ED372A6A (resized).jpeg
#1890 5 years ago
Quoted from Outlanes:

Probably bumpers VUK

Thank you both!!

Quoted from KingPinGames:

Let me know when you're ready for your next game. New or slightly used, we can help.

You can count on it!

#1893 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Do you have .97 in your game ? If so, please go to jerseyjackpinball.com and download the .98 and delta install it in your game.
LTG : )

Doing it now!

#1895 5 years ago

version .98 installed. That was the easiest thing ever. Man you JJP folks are on top of things when it comes being user friendly!

#1901 5 years ago

Found this blocking the trough kickout. Any idea what it is? Was preventing me from playing until I got it out of the way.

33B4F2FB-A6EF-423D-9C87-86C112377087 (resized).jpeg33B4F2FB-A6EF-423D-9C87-86C112377087 (resized).jpeg7D3EE8D2-391E-4280-BF5E-82E39F4F64F4 (resized).jpeg7D3EE8D2-391E-4280-BF5E-82E39F4F64F4 (resized).jpeg
#1905 5 years ago
Quoted from VillaThrills:

Is that a lens to a spotlight?

Quoted from LTG:

Yes it is.

Aha! I see which one. Thank you gentlemen.

#1928 5 years ago

I apologize for so many questions lately, I've been trying to search in the thread to find answers but haven't had any luck. Where are the monitor brightness/contrast adjustment settings? Under monitor in the menu I only have pixel offset, size, etc.

The other question, it doesn't seem that my machine is displaying the "wanted" posters with the pictures it has taken at all. Cycling through with flippers never shows them, and they never show in attract mode either. The setting to allow photos to be used in attract mode is set correctly, but they never show?

#1935 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Mine does this as well.

Me three

#1943 5 years ago
Quoted from JordanB:

Ah, thanks, that makes sense!
Interesting that you went with the spelling "pYracy" -- I couldn't find any references to this spelling online, and the game is called "pIrates", after all.
*shrugs*

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Pyrate

Pyrate is a variation of the spelling of pirate. Spelling during the 1700 and 1800's was haphazard and there were many ways to spell pirate, with pyrate as one of the most commonly accepted forms.

Doesn't have citations but I admit this is not the first time I've seen it spelled that way so I'm guessing there must be a source or texts/documents from that period that had that spelling?

#1951 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Anyone figure out why the cannon seems to be immeditaly qualified to load at times since update?

I have not experienced this myself, for what it's worth.

#1956 5 years ago

So last night we played for five hours after the machine arrived and we were done with dinner etc. Tonight probably more of the same. I’ve never had this much fun on a pin! Whole family loves it.

#1963 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

So I can qualify chapters but how do I actually get credit for chapters so I can combine with MB mode to get wizard? Do I need 5 or so to at least start?
Also - best way to tweak the tuga VUK? Sometimes mine shoots into the right inlane. It's really the only thing I've seen that doesn't play as expected and even that works 7 out of 10.

That is called bumpers VUK in settings. Turn it up or down depending.

#1964 5 years ago

I cannot remove the post on the upper PF (black pearl) in order to change its position. It seems like it should turn with a wrench but it doesn't budge. Is there a trick to it?

#1982 5 years ago

Based upon the previous JJP games, does anyone have a list of recommended parts to keep on hand for wear and tear items? Maybe things like flipper rebuild kit, etc?

#1999 5 years ago

We can’t stop playing the pin. It’s just that good. Worth every penny. Whole family is playing hours every day!

#2008 5 years ago

Mine is angled but not as much as the others posted.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#2034 5 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

This problem should be fixed as they are shipping with the bolts in them now.

You should only have to cut the one just under the leaf switches for the X and Bonus switches.
This will provide enough slack so they don't break "hopefully". as some of the soldering is not so good.

Has anyone done a detailed how to video or pictures on removing the upper playfield?

#2043 5 years ago
Quoted from roddog:

hahaha nope that thing seemed intentional since it was stuck on there. ill remove it. thanks!

Hah I thought my playfield was tight too, and so I checked and there was the sticky'd foam block.

#2044 5 years ago
Quoted from roddog:

Hmm. I saw ltg suggested adjusting the plunger at the depths VUK. However, I do not believe the plunger is an issue. Another suggestion was buying a shim to fix magnetization. I did not see anything about the subway being too wide.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/26#post-4709678

This post seemed to indicate fixing the plunger.

#2048 5 years ago
Quoted from RandomTask:

I've had to checked out the club forum since there are so many posts... My goodness for $10,000 this is pretty bad...

To me nothing about my pin feels bad. The only bad thing on mine is the slightly off center topper. Otherwise it's had zero problems other than minor tweaks here or there which every pin has. I think sometimes people blow things out of proportion based on forum posts. People don't run to the forums to post about yet another trouble free day with their pinball machine.

#2051 5 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

We played a bunch last night trouble free. Of course I installed the Titan flipper rings last night. Made a big difference!

What are those? I haven't heard of that.

edit: ah the rubber = rings

I myself installed a couple mods today from mod couple. I estimate my POTC has 25 more horsepower now.

#2053 5 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

I can sometimes be 12 yrs old and saying rubbers just makes me laugh

Ok well now I need to use this line on my wife. LOL

#2060 5 years ago

Ok the "arrr frenzy" mode is hilarious. My kids giggle and laugh every time one of us gets it.

#2063 5 years ago

Ok...wanted to get some honest feedback. I have never put any type of undercabinet lighting on a game but I am toying around with some ideas. I will get rid of the stock topper and go with some sort of Black Pearl model so envision a ship up on top. Was contemplating some type of water projection instead of any type of under cabinet lighting. The video for some reason came out more purple in the center, it is all completely blue. Cool or just too much? Under cabinet or topper as shown? Trying to capture the world under glass concept but may just be a complete fail.

I think it looks awesome.

#2105 5 years ago

What are you guys using to wax your playfields these days? Anyone adding mylar to any areas?

#2120 5 years ago
Quoted from NickBuffaloPinball:

I added mylar to the chapter select area b/c those magnets move the ball around so much in a compressed space. There was also mylar that came with my game for what appears to be the ship area (in back) where the ball is dropped into play (behind the spinners).
By the way, I would suggest using clear vinyl instead of mylar as it's easier to get off if need be.

Yes I noticed my PF has mylar in those same areas. Mine also has a strip by the depths kickout.

Quoted from sirlonzelot:

With the new code update, I cannot lock balls in the chest after I have playing 3 chest multiballs. The Right lock target didn’t response.
Anyone else, I think it’s a bug ?!?

I have not had this issue, I had a game last night where I had two chest multiballs in the same game. Must be something else that also happens that is causing it? I'll pay more attention to subsequent games, as I'm curious now.

Quoted from zaphX:

Now that my star map works (loose cable) - how do I use it? I really don’t understand what it’s trying to tell me.
Also - does everyone have one pale green “star” on their map in the lower left?
[quoted image]

My star map has lights that are white and sort of yellow ish?

Quoted from zaphX:

My monitor has a slight tilt. I’ve seen this on a couple JJP pins in the field also.
Is there a known fix?[quoted image]

Yes open up and ensure the monitor is secured properly. Sometimes it is not latched in all the way on one side or the other, and so it sags a bit. I can snap a pic later if you can't figure it out.

#2131 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

It wiggles a little on the right side but I don’t know what to adjust here. [quoted image]

You can pull up on the flat part I circled here. That is the "release" for that side. Pull it up and you can "swing" the monitor away from the machine, the left side of the monitor will be like the swivel/hinge (like a door). Then pull that up again and push the monitor all the way back into place and then push it back down and that should secure it.

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

#2160 5 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Now that Depp has been kicked from the series, could we see a version of this game without a huge picture of him in the middle of the playfield? That picture made me think this game looked terrible even though it's supposed to be a great game.

I like the Depp pictures.

On another note, got to kraken and fountain of youth wizard modes last night. Didn’t beat them. But the wizard modes feel epic. The sound, the lighting, you feel like you’re in an epic one on one battle with your game.

#2163 5 years ago

Another comment. We had family over last night and they mentioned several times how much fun it was even just to watch the game. They also said they didn’t know pinballs had finally caught up with today’s technology and that even they would be interested in buying one like this! Great work by JJP to move pinball technology forward.

#2168 5 years ago

I have the disc silencer kit coming from mod couple, has anyone posted pics or details on how to remove the spinning disc assembly? I assume I don't have to totally dismantle the entire thing but figured I'd ask. I found C-56 in the manual that has the full schematic, but figured I'd ask here if anyone did a step by step. If not I'm sure I'll figure it out, not my first pin!

#2171 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

How can I check these switches? All appear to be hidden away in ships.
[quoted image]

48 - just move the dauntless ship by hand. Usually clears it. 79 - blast air in the dauntless hole, sometimes dust gets in there etc. 66 - same as 79, but is where the ball shoots out of the pearl.

If that doesn’t work you’ll have to pull the Playfield out a bit so you get easy access to the back to look for loose wires or sensor. 79 is an optical sensor I know.

#2180 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I provided a More than detailed how to with pictures in the kit. I suspect you will do fine though you can reach out if you have questions.

Ah I hadn’t received yet so didn’t know. That’s very awesome of you!!

#2184 5 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Owners thoughts so far? Curious about code in regards to the level of excitement, adrenaline rush this game has, and is it easy to understand.

Best pinball I’ve played. It has everything. I can’t say enough good things honestly.

#2203 5 years ago

Installed mod couple disc silencer. Easy with great instructions included. And it’s like night and day. MUCH quieter, almost silent even.

#2210 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Good to hear. I have mine but haven't installed yet. Disc is noticeable but not really while actually playing. How long did it take you as instructions are extensive

10-15 minutes. It’s actually pretty quick. I will note that the snap washer in step 5 did not fit, but by turning the number 14 screw in the diagram counter clockwise it created a little more space and it fit right in.

It is very easy you’ll get it no problem.

#2250 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

So my full issues list so far, solved and unsolved: (took delivery 12/20, today is 12/23):
[X] Wireform for shooter lane bent. Removed, reformed, replaced.
[X] Torn shooter tip. Replacement en route but got one at a local shop in the interim.
[X] Gold/action button sticking. Fixed with a small amount of WD40 to the plunger underneath.
[ ] Missing tilt bob. Replacement en route.
[X] MA[P] target sticking behind [A]. Fixed by loosening under the playfield and moving over slightly.
[X] GO[L]D target sticking behind wiring harness. Fixed by loosening switch and pressing the harness up and out of the way, then tightening back down.
[ ] Maelstrom exit ramp switch defective. Reported to distributor and JJP, replacement en route.
[ ] Black Pearl cannon is inconsistently detecting the loaded ball. Switch test reporting stuck closed. Unsure if this is a clearance issue or another bad switch.
So...I’m on my 4th day

Did you check the sensors for the canon? They are optical and might be loose.

#2252 5 years ago

Anyone else having spotlight LED diffusers popping off a lot? The two above the I lane keep popping out.

#2256 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Not yet. Anything I should know about accessing it?

Just pull out the playfield a bit so you can get access. Look down the canon and you can see them on the left and right side.

#2261 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Twas the night before Christmas (eve), not a creature was stirring not even a monkey. Mods were hung by the chimney with care in Hopes that St JJP Pirates would soon be there. Then out from the lawn there rose such a clatter, it appears some elves had arose from a van. Not just ordinary elves but a Special surprise from the East Pole. As the elves turned our jaws dropped with surprise, as the elves were non other than the famous Pirate brothers themselves! Eric and Christopher (KingPinGames) WOW! Not here to plunder but rather to share some holiday cheer. Such a wonderful and Appreciated surprise! After the shock a smooth delivery, a gracious personalized autograph, and for good measure Eric decided to take Grand Champion score for me to stare at for likely years to come lol. The game worked Perfectly and Eric also took some time to share some additional details on setup so I could share them with the CE group as he travels. An absolutely memorable day and a machine that will long define pinball at its best. Thank you to Eric and Christopher (and their families) for sharing some of their holiday time to make my families holiday special!
SPECIAL NOTE! Christopher mentioned he still had 1 or 2 CE machines left in his slay so if your looking for a Magical Piratey Christmas he can still make it happen!!! KingPinGames!!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

So awesome! Now show us where that cute little monkey goes so I can give you more of my money.

#2270 5 years ago

I would not put anything onto a pop bumper that is only held on by sticky tape.

#2273 5 years ago
Quoted from evh347:

If any JJPOTC owners have been hitting the chest fork legit and wondering why the balls aren't locking like they should into the chest, this is the fix you want to try first.
I removed the five screws holding the fork VUK and discovered two screws holding the fork to the assembly were very loose. After tightening those screws, the lock works as it should.
[quoted image]

This should be book marked lol. It was causing my issue too.

#2285 5 years ago

I think I found a possible bug? If I disable codex tips, my bonus screens will often be black with just the bonus points shown. If I enable codex tips again, the bonus screen will always have an image/video clip in the background. Anyone else seen this behavior?

#2287 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Not sure if this would help at all as I’m not savvy on code but did you reboot after making the changes? Curious if the scene is written at start up?

Yes I did try that and it exhibited the same behavior. Good troubleshooting tip though!

#2290 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

It was worth a try... Eric did mention for ALL POTC owners they are finalizing a software code update so I suspect many of these fine adjustments and some code wonderment will be added. The way I play I don't ever plan to See all the amazing code but we enjoy it all the same!!

I completely agree. I figured at least this way if they were not already aware, they would read and see the bug if others also had this.

#2293 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Well I’m still having trouble with the Pearl cannon.
I see no physical issue with the optos - see pics, maybe I’m missing it?
When I run the switch test and put a ball in the cannon, it sees it.
But during gameplay, the ship fails to list up and down during the cannon shot. It is somewhat inconsistent as it worked once this morning and failed once.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I see both sensors look to be in place. Nothing stands out to me from there far as I can tell. Have you called JJP yet about this one? Definitely odd.

#2294 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Appreciate you mentioning this. I disabled the tips as they are SUPER annoying but I'm seeing all black which I thought was normal. I'll prob swap back to check it out thanks

For what it's worth, if you hit both flippers when the codex tip pops up, it instantly skips it. That's what I'm doing for now.

#2302 5 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

It's been fixed... I reproduced it immediately by restarting a game, it's less of a chance with codex disabled but can obviously happen.

Not sure I follow, how do we fix it?

#2390 5 years ago

I've had the pin for two weeks, and setup is pretty easy/friendly, but so far I have only gotten two wizard modes but haven't beaten either. Love the wizard modes though, they feel so epic.

#2393 5 years ago

Anyone else had a bug with the Start Chapter? I have noticed in high scoring games, lots of multiballs, etc, that late in the game I will have several qualified chapters, send a ball into the Start Chapter, the post comes up and the ball bounces around, the LCD shows random canon shots firing from chapters, but then the game just hangs for about 5 seconds. Then it releases the ball and fails to actually start a chapter. It will sometimes do this multiple times in a row and then fix itself if I drain and end my current ball.

#2396 5 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

With the old code yes, with the new code no

I'm on .98 which is the latest public release to my knowledge.

#2429 5 years ago
Quoted from JWJr:

[quoted image]

That guy has a HUGE nose!

#2448 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

This is my only hang up with this game...literally.
[quoted image]

Hah yep I’ve had that happen too.

#2543 5 years ago
Quoted from fastchef:

Couple of minor issues, I hope.....
1) added a player during my first ball and the flippers went dead.
2) during a game both screens went dead. Shut it down and it came back.
3) I keep getting check switches after power up and it’s usually has to do with the ship that the ball hits and all’s I do is move it and it’s goes green.

3 is normal. If the ship isn't "hit" for a few games, it flags this to check that the ship is actually working. You can just ignore it and it'll go away once you hit the ship in a game.

#2560 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Woohoo! Fork ramp shoots like butter! Thanks for the help, mates. Just needed to tighten those screws!

Yea this one seems pretty common. I'm guessing shipping and temperature changes etc caused them to loosen after factory, but once tightened in home use, they seem to stay tight. I haven't had to retighten mine after about 150 games so far.

PS. The bug where you hit chapter start, and it doesn't start a chapter, is driving me crazy. I hope we see a .99 or 1.00 soon with that fix.

#2564 5 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

If they can add a ball save option for tortuga drains I would appreciate it. I can't count how many times the ball kicks out and drains. I have tried all of the coil power settings, the coil strength is unreliable, sometimes kicks hard, other times soft.
The double flipper at the end of the chapter selection works well to kick the ball up with the magnet but occasionally can drain as well.
There are also times when the ball flies off of the pearl over the left sided gate, SDTM.
Has anyone experienced a ball drain on the left outlane when the ball goes up past the left flipper, hits the gate and goes under the gate, only to drain from the left outlane drain?
Wow, that was draining...

Completely agree on that bumpers/tortuga VUK. I have used lots of coil settings and sometimes it kicks super hard and other times it is hardly at all. Very sporadic. I noticed the shield on it is loose and so I'm going to have to remove a bumper to get at and tighten them. I will report back if that fixes the sporadic behavior. I'd be curious to know if your kickout shield is also loose?

#2601 5 years ago
Quoted from Potus:

When do the wanted posters come up? I never see it on my game during the attract mode.

About every 4 cycles of the attract mode sequence.

#2607 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

With that solution investigated (cannon alignment) I came across what I am going to call a PPSA (Pirates Public Service Announcement!!!!). Lloyd, Eric I do ask that this be recognized at the factory as I suspect this Will be an issue for some soon. In reviewing the Dauntless movement issue I looked over the wiring to the rear of the back board going to the Dauntless switches. In less then 50 plays my wire was already sheared off! (red wire in my case) This was caused by a Very tight wire harness with limited flexibility attached to a Moving arm with a razor sharp steel edge. These wires never had a chance!! While I am not proud of my solution (not pretty) I wanted to share a solution that most would have to at least repair or protect this from happening. As can be seen from the bottom of the playfield there is actually Plenty of wire available but in my machines case it is all bundled with no relief. You need to snip roughly (3) zip ties from the wire harness to give this wires a few inches of motion. Verify by swaying your Dauntless (sounds dirty again) back and forth to ensure there is no pull. From there I soldered my wires and added electrical tape to the entire wire bunch. I also added (and recommend) a strip of tape over the edge of the metal channel these feed to. That at least gives the wires a fighting chance should they come in contact again! I admit I Hate electrical tape repairs personally but I wanted everyone to have an available solution to at least fix if needed. All in all a Minor assembly learning curve on a new product and no harm done just hope this can be passed on and help others. I am Very curious if this MAY be some of the Dauntless switch issues people are having at times.... Let me know if there are Any questions.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

For what it's worth I just checked mine and it is nowhere near as tight as yours was. Mine does not come close to any of those metal edges when I rock the dauntless back and forth.

#2610 5 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

Anyone else with ball jumps from the left ramp? To see in the video at about 1:53

I try to adjust the diverter but didn’t help, any ideas ?

I get them on rare occasion. I wonder if the mod couple maelstrom mod might actually prevent some of that lol.

#2615 5 years ago
Quoted from Hasi:

Joining the club next month. CE is finally on its way! ❤️
What are the must have mods?

Almost everything the mod couple sells.

#2642 5 years ago

Where can I get Mylar for slingshot and lanes for this pin? I have some chipping already so I’d like to protect that area.

#2648 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Pinballlife has a selection of Mylar squares at low cost.

Thank you!!

#2651 5 years ago

I have attract mode off and free play. It cycles through all the cool stuff on lcd but no noise. Not sure if that helps.

#2660 5 years ago
Quoted from wheels:

Can you share some photos of the problem areas? Thank you.

1471B95A-0CDF-49E7-8A3A-DAACE8B0615A (resized).jpeg1471B95A-0CDF-49E7-8A3A-DAACE8B0615A (resized).jpeg
#2664 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Ok for clarity so this doesn't become a viral concern is this the same one persons playfield chip or your actual game? Not defending just hate to see panic on a one off issue due to an over/under tightened or sharp edge post.

My actual game.

#2670 5 years ago
Quoted from Halfwasted:

Seems like a lot of issues for this game.

I don’t think so at all. Minor stuff that takes a few minutes to fix in most cases.

#2676 5 years ago
Quoted from SheriffBarclay:

Love this game but another fun issue.
The black pearl magnet/catch is happening far too often - almost every time I get there, whether it's through pop bumpers, left orbit, etc.

There is a setting you can adjust it.

#2679 5 years ago
Quoted from KirboTurbo:

I’m having an issue with the chest not releasing all 3 balls during multiball. It will release 1, but not the other 2. The release gate will twitch and try to let them out, but doesn’t open far enough for them to come out. It will not release the balls after the game is over either. I have to take the glass off. Zaphx, I can’t believe you haven’t seen this yet. LOL

Adjust the timing in settings. Go from 3 to 4 to see if that helps.

#2686 5 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

I have this EXACT same issue, it’s frustrating when it happens deep into a good game. Please post if you find a solution

Adjust the chest release setting in menu as I mentioned before.

#2694 5 years ago

Had a small issue that started last night, and a quick 5 minute fix. Manual plunger shots were becoming erratic, and discovered it was because the manual plunger was hitting the top of the auto plunger. The quickest fix I could find was removing the auto plunger, putting into a vice, and using a dremel 952 bit to grind down the area that was rubbing. Plunger is butter smooth again.

First pic you can see a bit of wear on the underside of the top of the auto plunger. You can see the wear even more once it’s removed. The last pic is post dremel grinding.

185658E2-0218-4DEE-9ECB-3CCCDEEFCE35 (resized).jpeg185658E2-0218-4DEE-9ECB-3CCCDEEFCE35 (resized).jpegAF1DE06D-8CC6-459F-8CD4-333E8B22B995 (resized).jpegAF1DE06D-8CC6-459F-8CD4-333E8B22B995 (resized).jpeg8D60BBBB-520D-4705-985B-9980D7996B8F (resized).jpeg8D60BBBB-520D-4705-985B-9980D7996B8F (resized).jpegE667B181-705D-4836-A2D1-BD8C53BD37EB (resized).jpegE667B181-705D-4836-A2D1-BD8C53BD37EB (resized).jpeg
#2710 5 years ago

For me I couldn't lower the plunger as it then would have hit the balls too low.

#2764 5 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

After the 3. chest multiballs was played the lock targets didn’t register any more

Mine does not have that issue. Hmm.

#2773 5 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

Ok, issue. Getting point before putting ball in play during picking your player. I am thinking it is one of the chapter select switches possibly completing the circuit. Gives that certain sound it makes when bouncing around in there.

Yep happened on mine too. I just had to bend/adjust the switch. Easy fix.

#2795 5 years ago

I haven't had any real issues with mine either, other than the normal kind of thing that happens with any pinball machine.

#2797 5 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

I feel like you wrote that specifically for me, lol!
I watch and read this thread daily (really need to start from the beginning). I REALLY want to buy a Pirates, and I love JJP pins. I pop on here and all I see are problems being talked about. No scoring, strategy etc. Has me a little worried. I've got no problems fixing things, I can handle that. I just don't really have the time. With a demanding job, wife, and 2 little kids, my free time is very short. I'd prefer to use it playing pinball and not fixing them. I used to spend hours buying, fixing, selling games. I just don't have the time for that stuff anymore. I just want to play!

This pin doesn't have any more or less problems than any other pin.

#2817 5 years ago

I do wish there was more audible notice of finishing a chapter.

#2873 5 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Curious if potc has an intense battle or moments like woz and hobbit melting the witch, or killing smaug? What is the main objective in potc?

Yes the wizard modes are quite epic and satisfying. Main objective is to get to the 6th and final wizard mode “break the curse”.

#2935 5 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Can you guys tell me if there is external volume controls standard on the Limited Edition?
I added an ext volume control to by Hobbit since the volume controls on it are only for the headphones. Is this true for Pirates too?
Will this one work for Pirates?
http://www.pinnovators.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=57

My LE has external volume control, so it's standard.

#2940 5 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Not just for the headphones? Also adjusts the normal game volume?

Yes it adjusts the game volume. Not just headphones.

#2941 5 years ago
Quoted from anathematize:

granted i only play on location but...
it sure seems like this game has more than 5 balls. i swear i've seen more than that in stacked multiballs but i suppose that could just be my mind/eyes playing tricks on me.

It's 5.

#2957 5 years ago

The tortuga VUK is making me want to not play my game lol. The constantly changing strength at which it kicks the ball out is very frustrating, and often kicks SDTM with nothing you can do. I have tightened the scoop screws, but that didn't fix it, and they tend to constantly loosen up again anyways even with some loctite on them. I feel like nut and bolt was the correct call on that scoop here, and the wood screws are a bad call. But, again, that's not really the issue here anyways.

Anyone found a way to fix this frustrating VUK?

#2959 5 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

That tortuga VUK was pissing me off too. I ended up bending the scoop upward slightly and reducing the coil strength and now it kicks out slower and never goes SDTM. The game is brutal enough without those cheap drains.

I turned my VUK kickout way down, but the problem I have is that the kickout strength is erratic. So while the first kickout or two might be the "weak" setting I used, the next one will suddenly be strong and SDTM. I could try bending the scoop I guess.

#2965 5 years ago
Quoted from JordanB:

Is the metal scoop loose? Can you move it left to right?
There are 2 screws under the pop skirt that needed tightening on mine. I'm ejecting to the middle of the left flipper 100% of the time now -- though I'm not sure how long it will last.
go back one page in the thread and you'll see the photos and description that I posted.

The post you quoted, I said the screws were tight. :p Doesn’t fix it.

#3014 5 years ago

Seems its a bit of a 'hidden mode' too because I'm not seeing anything regarding 666666 mode in the instruction .pdf.
does anybody know if getting there actually does anything besides the screen animation (and possibly additional audio)? is there an extra multiplier or additional jackpots/rewards?
hogbog ?

I’ve gotten this several times and when I do my scores seem significantly higher than even just a 5 Multiball. But yea get all 6 going and it flashes rainbow colored 6’s across the screen. Hopefully someone can tell us if it adds a bonus of some kind, but it at least feels like it does.

#3134 5 years ago

I have hobbit and POTC, and am getting MB and AFM next. My wife is a basher too. She likes AFM and MB the most. But she does not like hobbit at all. POTC she likes BUT it can be punishing for a basher. But she still likes it.

If MB gets stale for you, and your wife is a basher, I’d go with POTC as a single pin.

#3142 5 years ago
Quoted from Nytewatch33:

Thank you for the thoughtful replies. Honestly, I prefer the Hobbit them over POTC. I love all thins Tolkien When I first played the hobbit shortly after it came out, I was kind of left flat though. The ball seemed to roll around in that big empty field in the middle and I was kind of bored. But then I recently played it, I believe with the new code, and it was a night and day difference. I loved all the pop up bash targets, and as I figured out the gameplay it started to really become interesting. The call outs and movie clips are fantastic of course. Then I switched over the pirates and there is just so much to do! I love the idea of a map and moving through the map as the game progresses (I am an RPGer so that just feels like home to me) The ship is awesome, the chest - awesome toys! If it had original movie clips, music and call outs it would be a much easier decision. Man someone should figure out how to load in clips from the movie. But even without that, it didn't disappoint. I do feel like I could play that pin for a long time and not get tired of it.

The call outs and game narrative is done by the actor who plays Joshamee Gibbs.

#3154 5 years ago

SDTM has an in depth JJP POTC review video and during the video they show how to do it if I recall.

#3260 5 years ago

My manual plunger was already low as it could go and just hitting the auto, so I used a dremel to grind away a little where it was hitting the auto plunger. Works great now.

#3322 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

The Kraken needs some love.... Beware The Kraken!!! Choose your path wisely and hit that Maelstrom right or fear the Kraken. Introducing the Kraken Custom mod. Complete the look of the dangerous Pirate seas with The Kraken. While mechanisms are a necessity of pinball at times they can spoil the world under glass feel. The Kraken mod was layed out and designed to partially hide the mechanical components and further build the theme look. A simple yet reversible installation and works perfectly with the Maelstrom Mod perfectly! Beware The Kraken or be ready for Davy Jones locker!!! Available Now from our website store, Pirates Welcome!
www.TheModCouplePinball.com
The Mod Couple
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Added to my want list. Nice!!

#3339 5 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

Yep, same thing keeps happening on my LE. Having a great game and three balls locked in the chest and the game tries to release them but can’t. I turned the game off in frustration the last time it did it and haven’t played it since. Let us know if you find a solution.

Adjust the chest mech release timing up to 4 or 5. Default is 3.

#3340 5 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

Yes, it didn’t fix the issue. The game can’t release the balls from the chest and it just goes into and infinite ball search. I can see the release arm/gate isn’t retracting far enough to allow the balls to roll out

Bend the mech then. And make sure you are using proper size balls.

#3359 5 years ago

Any word on an upcoming code release? A few of the bugs are getting rather frustrating. Namely the start chapter not actually starting a chapter. The mini LCD going black and fixed with a reboot is kinda annoying too.

#3382 5 years ago
Quoted from danastude:

My mini screen was also going (mostly) black. A reboot, or replug would temporarily fix it. I had Frank send me a new screen which fixed it.

Oh I could have sworn Ted or maybe LTG said this was a bug not a hardware issue?

#3386 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Wasn’t that the main screen going black if you disable codex tips?

That’s another bug yes.

#3437 5 years ago

What build date and # is your LE?

Quoted from NightTrain:

Got my LE yesterday and set it up!!!
Had a few issues, main one being that I got to see that the chest was broken when I lifted the backbox. That was a huge bummer since it's not really playable right now. There was no shipping block between the chest and the black pearl like the included flyer shows there should have been.
I did get to play a few games though (no chest of course). During this, I had both of the screens go out at the same time. They didn't come back on until I power cycled the machine. I was holding the left flipper to access the info screens. Once they came up, I hit the right flipper 3 times. Both screens went out right then. Anyone seen this before?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

#3441 5 years ago

Nice, so they’ve made at least probably 400 LEs in the past two months.

#3446 5 years ago

So after doing any matching LE # requests they completely randomly assign an available number?

#3518 5 years ago

On a different note, I know we debate whether or not the top 100 really is worthwhile...but...I have not played Iron Maiden that much as I just can’t get past the theme. People really seem to like it. For those that do like it, do you think it really should be rated better than Pirates? Just curious. For me Pirates is still my #1 followed very close by The Hobbit. It just matches what I like in pinball.

IM is nowhere near pirates. Pirates is way better.

#3544 5 years ago

That would make no sense to get rid of the monkey. If they get rid of any toys then I think they will have a harder time selling those pins. From a business standpoint I just don’t see the logic.

If anything I’d expect the next run of WOZ to be the same as current LE/75th or better with tweaks. If it’s a lesser version then I’m out.

#3555 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

No more pirates. No woz monkey. JJP really is making it hard for me to save $ past the stern pro price point. Hopefully Steve ritchies next game delivers...maybe we get Lyman with it

I don’t think they are never making POTC again. Just stopping for now for next game. And WOZ let’s not jump to rumor as fact on the monkey. :p

#3567 5 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

Looks like (ex) Green Bay Packers head coach is a pinball fan! Nice choices there coach.
[quoted image]

Where did you get the pic from? We are looking at buying a home in Green Bay and went to two of them that were two houses down on either side of McCarthy ‘s house haha.

#3615 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

Is it "normal" for the right white LED spotlight that looks towards the map disk to "flicker" and come on and off with the movement of the map? All other spotlights are solid white LED all the time but this one behaves like the connection is loose or it's tied directly to the movement of the map disk.
Jeff

Sounds like it’s loose.

#3627 5 years ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

I was talking to a guy yesterday who has been having problems with his WOZ doors. He says Jack called him directly to talk about his issues and they got to chatting. The new WOZ Yellow Brick Road will have some problem mechs stripped out and will be super limited edition with new art at a staggering cost.

I'm assuming you're being facetious, but if not, well, you should be.

#3633 5 years ago
Quoted from arcadem:

Thanks Lloyd. That was helpful but I want to know is what to do in order to not even play Liars Dice when its' offered. In other words, don't gamble. I don't see an option to turn the feature off in the menu. Does the screen simply time out when no action is taken? Again, thanks for your reply.

When liar's dice comes up, just choose "walk away".

#3642 5 years ago
Quoted from dgposter:

Thanks to Chris at KingPin Games, I will be joining this club soon! Also, a big thank you to those posting on here for getting me more excited each day. I'm really looking forward to this one!

Great choice in distributor.

#3653 5 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

So, less for more? NO THANKS!
I was on the fence about selling my WOZECLE (w full 5V buffered kit). I would then have either bought a RR75th (2.0) or waited for the YBR edition. Sounds like I am glad that I didn't. I have just spent a few days installing a full WOZ 2.0 as I was thinking that I would be further ahead anyway, I think that was wise. I love the metallic green and the extras on it, bonus that it is a true (andJJP's first) LE.

I wouldn’t believe everything you read on the internet. :p

#3664 5 years ago
Quoted from Rasavage:

What an awesome pin! Why did they stop production so abruptly?

Make a new game is the rumor. They will make them again though. Just on hold for now so they can finish up the backorders of POTC first.

#3687 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I’ve seen the left post reject shots too. I think it’s intentional in certain modes?

Yes it is

#3691 5 years ago
Quoted from arcadem:

I have one and I think it is great, much better than the 'piece of plastic' that comes with the LE. Toppers is one area where JJP really falls short. For $9500 it could and should have been a whole lot better. My original topper is now sitting comfortably stored in the base of the game cabinet.

How tall is the tilt topper?

#3695 5 years ago

Skull means that is the next chapter you have qualified.

#3702 5 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

Now I'm confused. I thought the skull's position was based on its value for the shots of the next chapter ? the more you hit the qualifying shot the further over the skull moves? or something like that.....

No the skull value is shown below the boxes.

#3706 5 years ago

Those are treasures. Collect them all, and a "treasures" jackpot can be collected via tortuga hole. You acquire them through map awards or by making "combo" shots.

#3708 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Aren’t those your nine pieces of whatever that you collect by hitting the red arrows?

No, the 9 pieces of eight are represented in the middle column on the main screen (they surround the maelstrom on the screen).

#3713 5 years ago

I think my question got lost in the shuffle of another discussion.
My guests and wife think that the auto plunger gets "tired" after a couple of hours of multi-balls and starts messing up. Is it possible for coils to get weaker with use and then be fine after being powered off after awhile?

In my personal experience I've only seen this happen with a bad plunger coil/mech or when the machine isn't getting consistent power/voltage from the wall outlet.

#3714 5 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Question on strategy here.
I find it very difficult to play all 5 chapters of one movie unless you choose Tia Dalma. The position of the chapter start area makes it difficult to start a chapter after making the shot, without starting another chapter.
For example. Let's say I want to play through Curse of the Black Pearl chapters. I hit that shot. Then I need to get the ball over to the left flipper to make the chapter start shot. So I hit the left ramp....now I have 2 separate movies qualified.
Any thoughts here?

It's part of the challenge!

#3720 5 years ago

The skull values are how much you get per "soul" you collect while in a chapter mode. The skull values are shown here in this picture. Each value is color coded to the movie/column. And next to the skull values is where you see "checks" and X's for completed chapters for that movie.
da850541c6b78871768643643a68f3739f1c3bdd (resized).jpgda850541c6b78871768643643a68f3739f1c3bdd (resized).jpg

#3727 5 years ago

Still worth every penny I paid. Zero thoughts of selling it. I've had mine since december. It has 735 games played.

#3738 5 years ago
Quoted from blimpey:

These last few posts have me second guessing my Munsters LE. I have the option of switching over to a Pirates and think I’m going to do it. The tides have turned and I’m jumping ship.

I played munsters, it’s a totally different type of game. Very shallow, kinda easy, not much flavor in the rule set. JJP blows it out of the water (pun?) in every way.

#3740 5 years ago

An HUO LE just sold for $8900 within a couple days of going up for sale.

#3789 5 years ago

I wonder how many plays that machine has. That has to be thousands. I have 800 plays and mine still look practically new.

#3792 5 years ago

I don't see JJP POTC on cliffy's site, am I just blind.

#3794 5 years ago
Quoted from evh347:

I know I'm repeating myself in this thread regarding Cliffy's, but here it goes again:
Cliff hasn't 'officially' posted the JJPOTC protectors on his site yet because they're somewhat a work-in-progress as he gathers input from people. When he his products haven't quite worked itself out of the WIP status, he posts them on this page:
http://passionforpinball.com/wip.htm
Send him an email and he generates an invoice for you to respond to:
[email protected] or [email protected] to request ordering info
I recently gave Cliff some feedback on his JJPOTC protectors. If you get the protectors, make sure you install both the MAP and MAP2 at the map hole as the MAP protector has a tough time staying flat w/o the MAP2 protector.
The protectors take a little time to install, but worth it overall I think.
[quoted image]

Thank you for the repeat on the info, I apologize I didn't recall seeing it earlier.

#3831 5 years ago
Quoted from iloveplywood:

Strongly considering this pin which is crazy as I don't have access to one to play. I thought I throw out a few random questions to about the machine here. Are the shots smooth or clunky? Does the upper playing field get tedious. How is the sound? For me sound is kind of important as it is what pulls me into the game. It's what made me consider getting a hobbit because the sound was so awesome.
Or should I just wait for Wonka?
Anyway, glad everyone here seems to be enjoying their game!

You're welcome to come play mine. colgate WI is just under an hour from Madison, possibly more depending where in madison you are.

#3855 5 years ago

5pm EST would be well past now. It's 6:15pm EST. Did they mean Pacific time?

#3863 5 years ago

Twitch.tv/deadflip

#3868 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

is this new code they're showing?

Based upon the crash they just had on stream I’m guessing no

#3874 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

1.0 code being streamed....

Hopefully they fix the plunder crash then hah!

#3890 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

That's a good point about big moment but I was thinking it's bc I haven't beaten any wizard mode. I would think these big moment exist maybe we're just not good enough to see yet?

That was my thought too. Have we even seen the final “break the curse” wizard mode completed yet?

#3896 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Do you think you will ever get to break the curse...I don't. I have yet to be able to get to more than 1 wizard mode on 3 ball.

I've had 3 wizard modes in a game so far, but haven't beaten a wizard mode. It will take practice and time to get there I'm sure.

#3900 5 years ago
Quoted from Burley9043:

My big moment would be successfully completing a wizard mode. For 'break the curse," do you need to have completed all the movie wizard modes or do you just need to have played them all? Playing them all will be hard enough.

I believe you just have to have played them. I'm tempted to take the glass off to complete these and see what happens lol.

#3996 5 years ago
Quoted from mtp78:

I agree..alot of issues with the ships wires. Is it caused b/c JJP employees temp workers on the line and they are not properly trained ?...i am buying le nexr week...hope not to have to remove the ship on a brand new game

Before we say “lots of issues” we should probably realize that it’s a very small percentage. Many of us had no wire issues I’m guessing.

#4098 5 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

No i understand that, but would like to hear if someone loves this pin AND was very disappointed by Hobbit. That would actually give me more hope/interest in POTC. Because when I read people talk about how great Hobbit is I just can't relate at all.

Hobbit was not for me ultimately. But love POTC. I had and sold my hobbit.

#4112 5 years ago
Quoted from Schabs81:

So they still having problems out of box or most resolved now. Anyone get one in last couple weeks?

My November build had zero problems. I’d wager most machines had little or no issues.

#4170 5 years ago
Quoted from Wesmantooth:

Hey guys I was wondering if Jersey Jack ships out of Florida or is my distributor just giving me more bs?

Jersey Jack pinball is in.... Jersey. :p So they have their factory and make their pins, in Jersey.

#4390 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Getting ready to make a decision on buying an LE and just wondering if the latest games off the line have less issues overall? Has anyone with a recently built game have few or no issues out of the box? I understand some tweaks are usually needed for most pins but at $9500 I would like to avoid the headaches.
Thanks!

Most have no issues. My November 2018 build had no issues.

#4469 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

So any further info on this rumored Tortuga replacement VUK part? Granted its a Pinside rumor and I haven't had any issue with it just wondering if there was something JJP identified that we missed?

Chris was trying to get one for me. My VUK has never worked right.

#4490 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Got ARRRR mb/frenzy last night but was unsure how. Is it from hitting the Tortuga hole several times during Tortuga mb?

Pirate lane award

#4588 5 years ago

Ball Baron carbon balls work great.

#4595 5 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

Got a few games on mine tonight. Action button not giving me any issues but the shooter is. It does not look aligned properly. Whether I manual plunge or Auto plunge it doesn't make it all the way around the loop. I assume the whole assembly needs to be moved over? It looks a little too far to the left. Any input would be appreciated. Would have thought they would have worked that out by now.
[quoted image]

That can happen in shipping. Doesn’t mean it’s something to work out.

#4630 5 years ago
Quoted from RPZ:

Has anyone done a music/call outs upgrade to a JJP code before? I feel like that might be a way to make this game awesome”R”!!!!

I don't think it's possible as I believe the code is encrypted. It's not like the stern pins where you can access code.

#4632 5 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

Sounds like it's a common problem like it's been suggested I may need a washer there. I did pick it up directly from the factory so there was no real shipping

A lot of the problems here are not as common as people might think. In forums if a handful of people have a problem, people tend to think this is a common problem, when in reality only a very small percentage probably have the issue. Look at the "cracked decals" issue in the MBr thread for example.

#4636 5 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

I'm not. Not that Cliff doesn't make great products....but really what's the point? So you cover a perfectly good and beautiful play field with some ugly metal pieces to avoid the possibility of some slight chipping? You also change slow ball roll trajectory which effects game play (my biggest grip with cliffys).
My philosophy would be that if you do get chipping and it bothers you, THEN you can cover it will a cliffy. You would still never know there was chipping below and in the mean time you got to play the game as it was intended.
I still have a hard time believing that a HUO machine could chip in those hole area. That boggles my mind.

I also have not installed cliffys. My game has about 1000 plays on it and here are the map and tortuga holes. They look great. The right side of the map hole has a factory piece of mylar that was installed with a "bubble" so that's the mylar bubble/damage you're seeing, not PF damage.

IMG_3954 (resized).jpgIMG_3954 (resized).jpgIMG_3955 (resized).jpgIMG_3955 (resized).jpg
#4641 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

This may be different now on DI and POTC but I can go into my WOZ and change stuff just by going to a terminal. Also updates are not encrypted, so you can change images and sounds directly in the update .zip and then install it

If this was able to be done I'd imagine someone would have done it by now to allow us to put in movie sound track music and voice clips.

#4649 5 years ago

I get that not everyone would want to change the music. But there are some who would. But I don’t know if it’s possible as I thought the comment was made by JJP that the code is encrypted and can’t be changed.

#4656 5 years ago

Looking at the update files, they aren't encrypted, they are compressed, then re-compressed. IMG is the first barrier, but the rest are .gz broken up into aa, ab, ac and so on. Looks like the old winrar continuous compressed files. Can't find a decompression program for it yet....

That sounds promising.

#4731 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinzzz:

Stucky ball...one out of 100 plays. I am surprised it doesn’t happen more often in that area!
[quoted image]

I get them there frequently

#4802 5 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

Kaneda just posted that Stern does not have it, 100% positive

The source that says stern has it is 100x more reliable.

#4857 5 years ago

Connectors half connected/loose sounds like a shipping thing.

#4862 5 years ago

These kinds of issues seem to be something that affects every manufacturer. I just got a NIB stern that had a list of issues out of the box, including one that required a new part to be sent. It's not just a JJP problem to be honest. I also had to fix both flippers as they were completely unusable as there was no gap on one (so it was very slow or would not even flip) and the other was so loose that it had flopped down and just spun.

#5013 5 years ago
Quoted from evh347:

Sounds a little over ambitious to me and not worth it. There are 25 possible (randomly selected) chapters for each movie and five movies. Do the math, that’s 25x5 = 125 chapters
I would say, just watch the movies, but only because I’m in the minority and I actually enjoyed the POTC movies (even though I can’t stand Depp outside of that character). But by movie 3, every damn character in the movie has 2-3 (or maybe more) subplots. If you ever get to the point where you can explain why Tia Dalma (Calypso) turns into a giant Calypso, starts shouting some sort of unintelligible garbage before transforming into a pile of crabs before falling into the sea...then by all means, have at it. I doubt even the directors can explain what is going on.
Then there’s this...I now enjoy shooting TH and I’ve only seen about 15min of any of those movies and I still don’t care to watch any of them...it’s still a fun machine to play and I could care less how many movie scenes they want to play on the back glass. I have absolutely no idea who or what I’m collecting or why...but I understand shooting the lights, loops, ramps, targets, and that dragon.

I wouldn't say you're in the minority. We enjoyed all the movies too, some more than others, but I own all 5.

#5014 5 years ago
Quoted from phoenixpin:

Hey all,
I'd like to give some context to Kaneda and POTC... I was the one that went with him to Sunshine Laundromat to play it on location and show him why in my opinion it is one of the greatest, if not the greatest, pinball machines out there. I have a perfectly set up game at home. I was visiting NYC for work and figured I could seamlessly transition to playing with him at this location game. I was dead wrong.
The game was so poorly set up and was such a different experience than I am used to at home. Here are a list of the issues it had on location:
- flippers were ridiculously weak so shots just could not be made. Almost all ramp shots would go halfway up the ramp and come back STDM.
- set up as steep as possible, with the bubble on the highest mark, so that the balls could not make it up either ramp
- 90% of shots to the chest were rejected, partly due to the weak flippers and also due to a problem with the fork mechanism
- could not hear any music/call outs, and the external volume button was turned off on the settings.
- multiballs were two balls instead of three (I couldn't figure this out because I don't even think this is a setting)
- when the ball rolled down the left orbit over the left flipper, it did not roll along the guide and instead was already off the wall. Whereas I can normally loop 5 shots at home through the Fountain of Youth shot, here we could barely make one loop. It also meant it was hard to hit the MAP hole, and so there was only a single time we were able to plunder.
- the action button did not work, such that I could not change the Pirate inlane awards nor collect gold. Big part of the game was missed here. No arrr frenzy. No strategy on setting up playfield multipliers etc. No tortuga multiball.
- at home, when the ball comes out of the depths scoop, I usually hold up the left flipper and it hops to the right flipper, which has a great visceral feel to it. Here that didn't work either and would instead go into the right sling.
- plunger was offset, and maximal plunge would make it at most to the ship skill shot, rather than to the left upper flipper. Literally not one plunge would get there.
- cannon shot rejected, I believe because the target ship was stuck against the left side of the game and possible due to the steep angle of the game
- spinning disk did not much change the ball trajectory, not sure why. At home it is a fun randomizer. Here it really did feel just ornamental.
- no ball saver, so the combination of all the above problems led to many quick ball drains
I'm a pretty decent player and regularly score a million points at home, start most of the multiballs, and make it to at least one mini-wizard mode every 5-6 games, but on this POTC neither of us could get above 70,000. Friends come over my house and love the game. It just wasn't possible to make the shots and progress through the game at Sunshine. We played about 20 times, and only could start a multiball twice: once as a mystery award and the other because of repeated skill shots to the ship. I know these rules inside and out at this point but could only talk about them rather than demonstrate them in action, let alone work through the dynamic layers of strategy that come alive when you progress through the game normally.
To Kaneda's credit, he tried to come in with an open mind and give the game a chance. If I was being intellectually honest I would say that if my main experience with POTC was that particularly machine I would also think 'this is no fun'. It was honestly an eye opening lesson for me that to most pinball fans, our impression of a game is inevitably dependent on how well the particular machine is set up, particularly our view of the shots and code and mechs. I've honestly never seen such a poorly set up new game on location, and I must admit that the other Stern games there were working pretty darn well. I'm not sure if that is unfortunate coincidence, or just the reality of Stern building their games to play well on location. It is possible that POTC is just a difficult game to have on location, and is best appreciated in the home setting.

So, did he mention any of this in his podcast? ANY pinball game set up terribly and not working correctly will make it seem like a terrible game. I don't care what game it is.

#5191 5 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

I just had an interesting situation pop up. Wondering if anyone else has had it happen. During At World's End multiball, I used the left Black Pearl flipper to load the cannon on the upper playfield. Coincidentally (and unintentionally), on that same shot the upper left flipper on the lower playfield hit a ball that happened to be coming its way. That ball went around the inner loop and kicked off On Stranger Tides multiball. The animation for the start of On Stranger Tides multiball kicked on, and during that time the compass LCD and action button went inactive. That meant I wasn't able to fire the cannon until the On Stranger Tides multiball animation ended and the action button came back online. Unfortunately, the cannon shot timer must have expired and it dropped the ball out harmlessly out of the cannon right as the animation was ending. Probably a one-in-a-whole-bunch chance of a shot (and kind of a perfect storm set of facts lined up), but I was surprised I lost the cannon shot from having to wait for the animation on a new multiball to end.

Hit both flippers to skip the multiball animation.

#5192 5 years ago
Quoted from Coindropper:

Anyone seen this before? Just had this delivered on 3/2 and it’s splitting. Should I reach out to JJP direct? Pics were not very good, the clear is pulling up where it’s splitting and 1/2” under. [quoted image][quoted image]

That’s Mylar, not clearcoat. You can take it off and replace it.

#5201 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I would definitely call your distributor / JJP. That is unacceptable if it's not mylar lifting but rather clear coat.
Does anyone know if there's a piece of mylar around the spinning disk to prevent the edge from chipping? In the picture it looks like JJP doesn't put mylar around the exposed edge around the spinning disk.

There is Mylar on the table at the edge of the disc.

#5241 5 years ago

My November build had zero issues. Haven’t had to do the subway fix either. *shrug*

#5302 5 years ago

They can't add yo ho yo ho pirates life for me due to licensing constraints.

#5363 5 years ago
Quoted from Burley9043:

Listened to the latest Kaneda podcast and left wondering why he continues to ridicule those on this thread who love their POTC. He just cannot let this go as he cherry picks information from the thread and emails he gets to his show in an attempt to prove his point. (Notice that none of the emails supporting POTC are being read.) This is more than having a different opinion. He seems to be obsessed with the need to be right on an issue that is purely subjective. In his efforts, he fails to see the fallacies, contradictions, and hypocrisy in his own argument. (By the way, he remind us that he still has that Patreon account that he said he would no longer discuss on air.) I guess this is how his podcasts usually run and I know, stop listening. So I will end my rant and spend more time with podcasts like Slap Save and Special When Lit.

He’s one opinion. Worth no more or less than my opinion. Or yours. So let’s move on.

edit: actually his opinion is worth slightly less than most, as he played on a very poorly setup machine, so he really doesn't have a proper machine to base his opinion on

#5415 5 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

My girlfriend bought me a PowerMate L1, it is very nice but you still really need a second person to help just take the weight of the bottom (load), so that you can step up or down.
There is a model above that you can do this alone but it is almost twice the price

Love the escalera I got from Zach. Moving pins is a one man job for me now.

#5439 5 years ago

I’ve done the sliding down the stairs box method. It’s actually really easy, just use two people.

#5504 5 years ago
Quoted from djxealot:

Having both a new Stern and a new JJP -at the same time-, I can say that there are definitely differences in the build quality and quality control.
JJP has superior build quality but inferior QC. Better, heavier components. Plywood cabinet bottoms. Solid electronics - faster, better platform (PC vs custom ARM). Everything is a notch or two more robust on a JJP. HOWEVER, the JJP has a lot more minor/smallish issues. Little things. More adjustments needed. Little quirks that need to be fixed/addressed/etc... Been under the hood a lot more often with my Pirates than my Deadpool. But never anything I'd call a big deal.
Stern has inferior build quality but superior QC. I feel like the components in the Sterns I've had are less robust. The MDF cabinet bottoms - I don't like that. Things like the Deadpool bobble head being two pieces instead of one - prone to breakage. Even the playfield acquires ball dimples MUCH faster than my JJP. The quality of everything is a notch lower... but everything worked basically 100% out of the box. No small adjustments/quirks/fixes needed (except for one errant screw).
Spitballing it, I'd say Stern just has a long history and institutional checks in place to catch small crap, but suffers a little from cost-cutting mentality (they've gotten a little better lately). JJP is the opposite. Haven't worked out all the QC and testing bugs... but they are building solid, high quality stuff that will last... once you get everything dialed in and worked out, anyway.

Anecdotally my POTC has had way less issues than my GotG. So to me to QC on stern is worse.

#5550 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Starting to wonder if Cliffy's are even necessary on this game? I was looking back at post #4636 from f3honda4me and after 1k plays he doesn't have anywhere at the map or Tortuga areas. If there's one spot I can see a Cliffy being needed just incase its at the Tortuga area as that is a ball eject area. However, the map shot may not even needed as the ball only falls into that area versus being kicked out.

Yea so far no issues in any of those spots. Looks good. The only playfield issue I'm upset about is the chipping around the posts for the bumpers above the flippers.

#5739 5 years ago

I use steel carbon balls from ball baron. Never had an issue.

#5804 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Hey, I hit it every game.
When I get the error, I pull the glass and push on the ship and it clears. Play a few games and it sticks again. I think I've only lifted the playfield when I first got the game a few weeks ago. I'll have to check that.
Latest error I have changed to the "bullseye" target. Not sure how to check that yet. It happened right when I had to leave yesterday, so I'll take a look at that tonight.

It’s not actually sticking. It just means you haven’t hit those targets in the last few games. It’s a mechanism to say “hey you might want to check this as it hasn’t registered any hits recently”.

The issue here is that there are two different switches. One is for a bullseye (through the hole) and the other is for "missing" the bullseye and instead hitting the side of the ship which pushes the ship and trips the switch. Both have to be hit at least once every few games or else you get the "stuck switch" message.

#5819 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

But I do hit it every game.
I love making that shot.

So you hit BOTH shots - the "miss" where you only hit the side of the ship, and it comes back down the middle by the top flipper, and the bullseye where the ball goes into the hole and comes out the depths? If you only hit one of those two shots every few games, you'll get the "stuck switch" message. So if you're only hitting bullseye shots, you're going to get the "stuck switch" message that is cleared by you physically rocking the ship back and forth.

#5827 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

So you're saying, every once in a while, I should miss a bullseye shot on purpose?

Or, just ignore the alert about it.

#5873 5 years ago

For all the nonsense and drama surrounding him - Kaneda does have some good information in his podcast and its usually worth a listen if you are interested in pinball news. You just have to take some of it with a grain of salt when he goes into his 'shock jock'/hot takes mode. He usually goes against the prevailing grain so it provides a nice counterpoint to SDTM or Buffalo (which I both enjoy too).

I don't care for manufactured drama, so I'll pass.

#5941 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

That seems like an awesome possibility. Post back how it works if you install it, because there must be a solution. I'm not leaving the holes unprotected on the surface when damage to the playfield surface around the holes like this is already documented:[quoted image]

But that's after how many plays? People post those pics but don't say if the machine is on route or how many plays. Mine has 1000 plays and looks new.

#6071 4 years ago

For those that missed it:

Jack's exact words about JJP POTC are:

"We ordered parts for X amount of games, and we can only build as many games as we have parts for.... and we are out of parts.... We don't have any plan to build the game again right now. That doesn't mean we won't build the game again in the future, we have the license for a few more years... It's not because the game isn't a great game, it's just that we want to go build another game and another game and another game.... We don't have anything in stock. I got in trouble with some of my distributors who got mad at me because they thought we would have more games... but distributors sold out of their games and we don't have any more. I'm happy the demand is there but I'm not happy that everyone who wanted a game didn't get one."

#6077 4 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

When listening to jack about that and the fact that WOZ YBR will only be sold trough distributors, it kinda sounds like he is trying to get The distributors to have more stock. In other words, it’s the distributors fault that not more POTC are out there.

I actually took it as he is only selling YBR to distributors to make up for it. He won’t sell YBR directly to consumers. That benefits the distributors.

#6103 4 years ago

My 7 year old daughter plays a lot, and then after she plays, she can be heard around the house randomly saying "Extra BAAAA HAA HAAAAALLLLLLL"

Blows my mind this game did not win TWIPY for best callouts. It has the best callouts of any 2018 game by a long shot. Gibbs was perfect to do the callouts for the game. How did deadpool win that? That game needed Ryan Reynolds to be doing the callouts. Without it, it's very off-putting and not enjoyable at all. The callouts were zzzzz.

#6156 4 years ago

Yes. They probably should have won for music... especially if you consider its all original compositions David made for the game. Going forward I do think the award should be for 'Best Original Music' and we can just take the band pins out of the mix. Its not really a level playfield.
Rookie of the Year is a tossup for me. Keith is certainly no rookie to the world of pinball... but it was his first design and holy hell what a design it is. Maybe one of the greatest tournament AND casual games ever created and such a fresh breath into Sterns otherwise stagnate catalog.
Frankly if him and Eric would have cut the TWIPY in half and shared it I don't think anybody could really complain. They both knocked it out of the park and I'm really looking forward to both of their follow up games.

Yea I didn't get that. Best music shouldn't go to pins that didn't have original music. The music wasn't made for the pin, so how does it win best music.

#6214 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

interesting that they are still waiting on parts. I thought the whole reason they stopped was b/c they were out of parts?

Yea that would seem odd to me too

#6248 4 years ago

Do any of you know the dimensions of your POTC shipping box by chance? I know a few people just got theirs, wondering what the dimensions are.

#6250 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I think it's between 30 and 31 inches, can't recall the exact measurements. All I know is I can barely get the cabinet through my basement doorway with it out of the box. The back box on Dialed In and POTC seem slightly wider then others.

I can live with 31"x31". Just enough that I can cram the box into my SUV. It's actually for picking up my WOZ but I'd imagine the box size is the same as POTC.

#6253 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Same box for all their games and posted on their site.

I couldn't find shipping box dimensions on their site.

#6263 4 years ago

Remember that the monitors come out on a swivel mount, and have a bracket on each side they have to mount into in order to support the weight correctly. If it's not fully in one side or the other, that side will sag.

#6271 4 years ago
Quoted from Raptor:

I could get the monitor into the latch, and get it closed ok.
But with a good tug it would pop back out.
Even when latched in place part of the monitor frame was still visible through the backglass.

Then it wasn't latched in all the way.

#6571 4 years ago
Quoted from DarthSinex:

As a new POTC owner I have a couple of quick questions.
Shots to the chest seem to go in when lock is lit but then just bounce out. Only a really hard shot will cause the ball to go up and into the trunk. Is this normal behaviour?
Secondly, when the ball has gone into the cannon and there is a display on the mini screen, what exactly am I supposed to do with that to time the shot accurately. I'm being a bit obtuse, but can't work it out and am sinking the dauntless by simply watching the position of the physical canon rather than the screen but this can't be right. Is it?

Yes you watch the physical position of the canon compared to the dauntless.

For the chest, your forks are probably loose. It's a quick and easy fix to just re-tighten the screws.

#6622 4 years ago

1. Contact distro on this one, I guess DOA light board. Unfortunate.
2. What do you mean by does not light? Do you mean when you are in the switch tests and you spin it, it doesn't light? If you start a game and fling a ball through the spinner by hand, does it advance the far right "ship" on the LCD towards devil's triangle?
5. Did you remove the foam shipping block from the back of the PF? It's held in place with a bolt.
7. Do you mean the spinning disc? Might be some bubbles since it's just a decal. And yes they are loud, the silencing kit from the mod couple is a must have. It's unfortunate JJP never did any fixes for the disc noise.
8. Your chest forks may be loose.

Quoted from GnarLee:

1. Have 1 lightboard that is DOA. upon inspection the cat5 cable running to it was waaay to tight. Replaced it with one that was longer to test but still did not work.
2. Left spinner by depths light does not light. When running through the test it does turn on but display says its on a unused circuit (one of the ones close to the end)
3. Ball shooter tip looks like a cat used it as a chew toy for a couple hours before it was put on.
4. Couple targets on upper playfield are too close together causing both to go off when one is hit. Easy fix adjust switch
5. Playfield is super tight in cabinet. When reinserting playfield aside from it being tight there seems to be more resistance the last bit then there should be. I made sure the harness on the right was not getting pinched and the harness on the left nothing to pinch on. What am I doing wrong?
6. Playfield is not hanging from the hangers correctly. Right side sits in slot left side sits just a smidge above lockdown bar. May have something to do with issue 5
7. There are bumps and divots on the spinner not sure if they are supposed to be there. does not seem like bubbles though so idk. Oh and spinner seems loud as !@#$. Might look into the silencing kit but personally feel like it should be quieter from factory
8. Think I might be having the chest lock issue. dont know the rules yet though so maybe I'm doing it wrong. When lock is available to me it seems like I have to hit it super hard in there to get the ball to make a U-turn. Had one instance where ball wasnt released form chest at end of game. then following game machine got confused and released both balls after locking the first.
9. You should not be able to light fuse until doing the spinners and hitting load cannon correct? had a couple times where ball when past the gate and just fell to playfield. Dont think this is correct.
10. Noticed in the software there was 1 bulb that did not test and when I looked where software show me bulb is there is a spotlight and not a gi.
I'm sure there's more but super tired. Thanks again for any help ( a couple of the issues I know are in the Zaphx guide)

#6635 4 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

kevinbuffalo can you give us a time index of when he does this??

Starts around the 10 minute mark actually.

#6657 4 years ago
Quoted from thc666:

just got my cliffys this week . just in time. found this when i was about to take the pearl off. how that happened have no idea.
this is just a heads up to the guys who dont think they need cliffys.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I'm not seeing damage anywhere. Am I just missing it? You're not talking about the mylar bubble on the right of the hole are you? That's not PF damage, it's just a mylar bubble. :p In fact, most POTCs seem to have it. Mine has it too. It's like the mylar wasn't set correctly on the PF or sized wrong. But the PF is undamaged underneath.

#6660 4 years ago
Quoted from thc666:

the bubble is what i'm talking about no chipping yet, knock on wood. i just cleaned this machine not even 2 weeks ago.

So because there is a bubble in mylar that was there from the factory, it means we need a cliffys? Sorry not sure I understand then.

#6664 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I must've gotten lucky. I've only lifted the playfield once and haven't even opened the head.

I can't remember the last time I had to lift the playfield for something. I think it was maybe last month to adjust a post in the orbit.

#6818 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Thanks and I assume Titan is basically the best.
So is the consensus to just replace the rubber vs cleaning it?

Yes I'd replace. Titan is a good way to go.

#6824 4 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

Does anyone know what size rings the upper playfield takes? I'd like to get some titans on order. I don't care much for black rubbers.

On the titan site, it's Rubber Rings Flipper Mini. https://www.titanpinball.com/kits/index.php/browse/bygame/5729

#6825 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Also, how do you guys clean your glass?
Specifically, handle the glass. Obviously, the only part that "matters" is the underside glass that isn't accessible when on top of the playfield. So do you try to handle strictly from the sides, use gloves, etc?

I just handle it on the sides like any other glass. I clean using better life glass cleaner. It's all natural, no ammonia, safe for invisiglass, PDI, etc.

#6893 4 years ago

I have a few flipper rebuild kits in my stash, does anyone know if any of the old williams or bally rebuild kits are the same as what are used in JJP games by chance?

#6911 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

If from Williams DMD era from Addams on, yes.
Earlier, no.

Thanks Lloyd. I hope you get paid for all this knowledge and help you do on the forums!

#6966 4 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Been meaning to post this for sometime but mad props to tonycip for an awesome shooter rod for my game. Great work excellent product and fast service. Thanks Tony![quoted image]

I have one of these as well. Fantastic shooter.

#7032 4 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

After you play 5 chapters from 1 movie, and then the mini wizard mode, are you blocked from restarting those movie chapters until you've played all 5 movies' wizard modes?

Yes

#7052 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

It may be months or years, as I don’t have a digital level . All I can say is, across 4 JJPOTC setups the second line plays great.

Pin guy app free. If you have a smartphone, you have no excuse. :p I love the audio callout of the pin guy app too. I put it on the PF and climb under the pin and start adjusting. And it tells me where I need to raise/lower so I don't have to crawl out from under the machine.

#7096 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Why? It’s a bubble in a glass tube mounted to the playfield. Gravity works, and a handheld spirit level works on the same principle.

Because often they are not mounted exactly accurately. A small burr of something under it or an edge that doesn't sit right etc. They don't "test" them at the factory so if it's off, they don't know. On my machines I have right now the degree of angle between what the manual says it should be vs what it actually is is off by .3-.5 degrees.

#7119 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

I *MAY* have a problem.
I was thinking that I could just rock the Dauntless to the side or w/e and it would clear this error.
Unfortunately, I'm unable to clear this error...
[quoted image]

That's the ship hit one. As stated, you have to drop a ball into the hole to clear. Or just ignore it. :p

#7163 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Can someone tell me what the nut size is for the legs?
I still need to level this thing...
Thanks!

I just try different wrenches until I find the right size.

#7219 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Is the BP flipper issue really intentional?
I feel like it was fine from the beginning.
Interesting.

It's normal.

#7220 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Weeeeeeee..... Not fun. Or solving anything.
I think I quit for now.
Pirates, you are a nice looking paperweight, but I'm beginning to not like you. A lot.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I'm not sure I understand what I'm looking for in these pictures. I don't see anything abnormal?

#7230 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

This is normal?
I figured a quick snap wouldn't hurt.
[quoted image]

Yes - mine is exactly the same. It's that way intentionally so that you can make the canon shot with either flipper.

#7233 4 years ago
Quoted from evh347:

It’s not normal. Read posts after mine. The fix is simple, loosen the pawl nut, re-position the flipper and retighten. And no, you don’t need to remove the upper playfield.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/27#post-4714691

Hmm interesting. Would be nice to know for sure. I have no problems hitting all targets on the ship with the right flipper.

#7238 4 years ago
Quoted from evh347:

I’ve suggested this fix to Derek some time ago and Eric himself upvoted the post. If I was wrong, someone would have said so.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/55#post-4775553

Thanks! I’ll fix mine when I pull the ship to do cliffy install.

#7244 4 years ago
Quoted from evh347:

It’s not normal. Read posts after mine. The fix is simple, loosen the pawl nut, re-position the flipper and retighten. And no, you don’t need to remove the upper playfield.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/27#post-4714691[quoted image]

Your original fix is now a key post FYI. Thanks for the info and details!

#7248 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

This is absolutely not true. Per Frank@JJP and the various streams from Eric they should be the same and parallel to the gate/rails behind flipper. The cannon shot is still achievable from both flippers.
Play it however you like though.

Yep already corrected. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/145#post-4932643

#7249 4 years ago

Twitch video showing how to remove the pearl is a key post now. Any other posts that should be key post anyone can think of recently? Stuff not covered in the zaphx fix link that is.

#7260 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

In my estimation, this makes Will Turner pretty OP.
I mean...I’m plunging for a skill shot every.single.time. and this guy ramps points QUICK with this style...

He's not OP. Most of them are quite balanced.

#7293 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Agree with you and wouldn’t really be feasible for a quick pop up issue.
I try to utilize the search function before asking, sticky’s would help at the top of thread or a dedicated thread as previously mentioned and in the works.
Will this be the first game to require a dedicated fix thread?

There are quite a few pins that have "technical/support" threads. That said, if there is something that needs to be turned into a key post, post it here so that can be done. Key posts are basically posts that contain important information such as fixes, etc, and get put into the topic index, available at the top of every page of the thread. I always look at those first when I have a question about a pin. Unfortunately, some people will never help themselves and will never search first.

#7300 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I was going to give the stock balls a try as having chest magnetism issues with both Pinball Life Super Shiny and Ball Barron Ninja Chrome balls. These have to be the worse condition stock pinballs I've ever seen, theres actual cuts in them that are rusting...I've asked my distributor to see if JJP will send a new set of balls.
Has anyone found a ball that won't result in magnetism at the chest in this game over a long period of time?

I use these for all my games. Work great. https://ballbaron.com/product/pinball-carbon/

You can't use the super shiny or ninja chrome in games that have magnets. It even says that in the description of the ninja chrome balls on the ball baron site.

#7303 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

What? Why? Don't put any lubricant in your pinball machine.

Agreed, this is not a good idea.

Quoted from joseph5185:

These should be back in stock by the end of the month according to the distributor.

Good to know. I always buy like 51 at a time. :p

Replacing the balls every 500-1000 games is one of the best maintenance items you can do for your machine.

#7314 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Generally no.
But if a spinner is working. I would put a tiny drop of oil on each axle where it enters the frame of the holder. Plastic compatible is best in case it gets anywhere else. Hobby shops have it.
Over time the spinner axles score in the holder and at some point will snap off. A tiny drop of oil seems to make them last forever.

Interesting did not know that!

#7317 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

It’s not that you can’t use them but just expect magnetism at some point. I change them out every 500 or so games and have yet to see any magnetic issues within this number of games and I have them in all my machines.
They are by far the best looking ball available and quite durable. Still look good after a bunch of games.

I’ve had chrome balls magnetize in a handful of games. Your mileage may vary.

#7322 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

How can the difference be that drastic?
You're saying a handful of games whereas someone who owns damn near a dozen machines claims that in approximately 500 games there are no issues.
Something simply seems amiss with this.

Because it’s not an exact science. But posts regarding balls not registering in trough, balls not ejecting from trough to shooter, balls no releasing from chest, etc, - at times are caused by magnetized balls.

#7353 4 years ago

Edit: misread

#7430 4 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

I totally agree with the consensus here that WW was underwhelming. After the controversy of DI's theme, and spinning-disc-gate and trunk-gate of POTC (not to mention production delays), I feel like JJP needed WW to be their next WOZ. Sadly I don't think they nailed it. I'm sure it will be a blast to flip (like all JJP pins), but not on par with WOZ or POTC.

Having played it extensively this weekend I disagree. It will rival WOZ and JJPOTC in our house for playtime for sure.

#7432 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Rank them.... Curious to hear from someone that played all three in person

Oh man that's tough. It's hard because wonka is new so it gets weighted higher. But if I think about it a bit and really have to choose, it's Wonka, then JJPOTC, then WOZ.

Wonka Layout beats JJPOTC layout due to the constant smooth flow. You can feed ramp to flipper to ramp to flipper to orbit to flipper to ramp, etc. That puts a grin on your face. The geometry is awesome. JJPOTC has that amazing upper PF and wonka doesn't.

But Wonka has the gobstopper toy which we all thought was really cool, but looks meh when you're watching it online. Hitting the target is fun, and when the floor below turns to reveal the hole and you hit the same target again to go into the hole and lock the ball, the the floor turns again, it's a cool trick and fun. It reminds me of TOM spinning chest which is cool. But, JJPOTC has that canon shot which is always a crowd pleaser.

The wonkavator shot takes some work to qualify, and when you do, the shot is not easy. But when you hit it, it feels AWESOME - looping from top left flipper all the way to the right, orbit up and around, and then boom into the wonkavator. I want MORE. And the top right flipper to middle ramp shot feels great, one of my favorite shots on the PF. And that diverter to magnet to upper left flipper is a cool trick to line up more shots. The rainbow of colors during certain modes and multiballs is visually perfect, especially the tiny dots of "candy". The wonkavision is a cool trick when you hit the ramp and a bright light comes on shining at you as the camera "sucks" you in, displays you on the screens etc. I've heard that part is still getting more to it in future code as well.

Given the code was only 60% on the machines we played for Wonka, I can't see how this won't be a huge hit. While JJPOTC has a cooler toy in the ship PF and canon and has satisfying shots and lots to aim for, the overall gameplay on Wonka is even better.

#7484 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Wow interesting? I too played Many games on WW and I did enjoy it but in No way was any element of that game in the same league as Pirates in my opinion. Very well done but some things just seemed off by comparison. Especially the use of video animation. In Pirates the animation almost looks seamlessly integrated. On WW, a virtual projector screen would slide down and play a clip from the movie as if you were watching it on an iPad. Not a complaint just did not seem as fluid as Pirates. I am in and paid on an WWLe. Previously had a CE deposit but I could not see Any value for 3K as I did on Pirates CE unfortunately.

There are things pirates has going for it that are better. I'm just saying that overall Wonka was just a tiny bit better for me. Pirates is a bit too heavy on multiballs for my taste, and the flow and geometry is better on Wonka. But if you weight art animations or main toy like the Black Pearl and canon higher, then I can see why JJPOTC would end up higher for you. Also if you didn't play Wonka on friday, unfortunately you played a bit of a lesser game as the flippers were soft and mushy on saturday for some reason, but Friday they were perfect.

By the way don’t get me wrong. I’m splitting hairs here. It’s a tough call.

#7485 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:Wonka “better” than Pirates? Yea...no.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I’m sure the consensus will easily rank Pirates highest. It’s not even on the same level as Pirates.
I want to know how it stacks up against DI. Ya know, the other Lawlor game and standard body.

I take it you played Wonka this weekend then?

#7525 4 years ago

Met Eric at MGC as he was breaking down the wonka games. Shook his hand and thanked him for making this awesome JJPOTC game. We are huge fans of his given how big a hit this game is for our family. Can’t wait to see what he does next.

#7554 4 years ago

edit: delete! whoops

#7577 4 years ago

Don't know if anyone caught it but Jack confirmed on Kaneda's podcast that they made at least 1000 POTC total.

#7583 4 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

I've been told they have about 130 limited editions left to make. The LE was only supposed to be 1,000. I think it's a matter of they just sold everything that they expected to sell. I can see them making standards on their secondary line but unless they come out with another limited edition (always possible with JJP) I think that's it.
If I'm not mistaken the Wonka limited edition number is 4000. Probably a lesson learned from Pirates

Jack said 40 left (all are sold) to make in his Kaneda interview.

#7586 4 years ago

He said they were planning to finish them in the next 2 weeks and then start making Wonka.

#7601 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

1,000!?? in 2 weeks!??
Oh my good gracious...
I would love to know:
1) What modifications you have made to the game. Added Mylar, etc...
2) How much maintenance has been performed in this period?
3) How the game is holding up and looking after this.
Thanks much!

I have over 1000 plays on mine, for what it's worth I've only replaced balls, waxed the PF, and had to replace the main flippers and sling bumper rubbers. I used titan rings for the replacements since they hold up longer.

#7608 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Do you know roughly how many games were on it when you waxed it? Or did you wax it multiple times?
The flipper bats themselves or just the rubbers?

I waxed it when I first got it, and wax it when I replace the balls (about every 500 plays).

Just the flipper rubbers.

#7613 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Fortunately, neither of you had my issue where less than 80 games I’d say my left BP flipper went completely unresponsive which you would think is a loose flipper/wire or broken wire or switch issue ... right?
Nope...
A loose roll pin actually which is apart of the flipper assembly.
So here I am with my first pin ever and dealing with this EARLY!

It happpens. This is pinball. I'd call it good learning experience as all pinball machines need work, sometimes even right out of the box. Of all the machines I've opened NIB, half had issues day 1.

#7620 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Yeah.... I had my playfield not allowing those hooks to rest, so installing Cliffy's and mylar into the chapter select area, and now some wire mesh under the ship as well as that plastic protector to not allow balls in underneath, plus.... protectors for the plastics, plus a sagging monitor has all accumulated in many hours spent problem solving, failing, succeeding, then finding new problems to handle.
On top of finding what new tools you might need that you never owned prior, of which you're definitely running into yourself.
Many days, it makes putting a buck into a routed machine, seem like a much better idea.

I had all the tools I needed to work on machines, just regular household tools one accumulates over the years. The one thing you might need if you never had it would be a soldering iron as that's not a common household tool. But socket/wrench, screw drivers, etc are all things one would normally have for around the house/condo/apartment in many cases. And for $16 you can buy a full socket driver set.

A lot of what you described putting time into the game are things you chose to do, not problems with the game. Cliffy's, mylar, plastic protectors are all optional.

#7630 4 years ago

I work in IT also but still have lots of tools.

About flippers. Strongly suggest you read the key posts here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers

#7636 4 years ago

Half the fun of the hobby is working on the machines, in my opinion. It's a way to get familiar with the inner workings, and do something you can be proud of after it's done, and some nice quiet time for yourself.

#7668 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Interesting. I was informed Mist-N-Shine had a "tiny bit" of wax in it. I know it's a detailer...technically.

Literally says contains no wax. :p

https://wizardsproducts.com/mist-n-shine-22-oz/

#7806 4 years ago
Quoted from dts:

Great responses, thanks guys! I’m gonna go for it, I hope... maybe there is a way to make the disc slightly more grippy to increase randomness...

It is plenty random.

#7977 4 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

I found a slightly use LE in NY. $9595.00. Shipping cost kills the deal for me.
I'm going Standard Edition and adding shaker and glass. That way I'll have and extra waide body glass.
IMO this is a top 5 pin.

Someone will buy it at that price. In another thread I mentioned that we were considering a pin to sell and that my POTC LE was one of them. I had no less than 10 people message me about buying it. I dare wager someone could get close to $10k for their POTC LE right now.

PS. don't PM me, my wife said to just go ahead and add Wonka as a 6th pin, rather than sell POTC. So we are keeping it. :p

#7982 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Is your wife single?

LOL that is the perfect response.

#8043 4 years ago
Quoted from Breger1:

Ron of NYpinball emailed me this morning, he has an open/floor model LE. $9600, plus $500 shipping. I went with an SE instead...I'll be happy with it, instill shaker, add back illumination from Mezel Mods and powder coat in the future. So it is still available

It'll be sold within the next few hours guaranteed. :p

#8082 4 years ago
Quoted from iloveplywood:

Hey owners a couple of quick questions. I currently have two machines a TNA and a BM66. My wife loves the BM66 and plays it every day but overall I think the TNA is too intense for her (she also hates the "you failed," at the end for some some reason, seriously she keeps bringing this up). I'm thinking she will like pirates as she loves toys in games, but it's hard to know without playing it. Any thoughts on the intensity scale of pirates rated on the TNA to BM66 scale?

My wife loves pirates. She doesn’t care for TNA either.

#8107 4 years ago

First, this is not directed at any one person.

There is a balance to be had, and unwritten forum etiquette to follow, in my humble opinion. The thread went from discussion, with a question or problem here and there, but then for many pages turned into a sounding board for every single question, thought, or problem, big or small, even completely off topic questions nothing to do with POTC at some points, and using the thread as a sounding board for over-analyzing and over-thinking, what might break, what will break, is this broken, where do I get the broken part replaced, can I repair the broken part, and it went on and on.

Many of the questions already had answers, easily found by a quick search of the thread using the forum search tool, or using the index of key posts at the top of every page. This is what frustrates people, and that's why the the perception was that questions were being "boohooed or quashed", because that frustration was coming through in posts. Using an example that I have seen before many times: if I didn't have wax or hadn't heard of waxing a playfield, and someone mentions waxing the playfield, I would have still just played the game and waxed it when I got the chance. Not create a post about what wax to use (a topic beaten to death, and I can find that answer myself), and then constantly talk about how I haven't played because I haven't gotten the wax yet, and what towels to use to wax it, and how much to use, and oh the wax came, but I still haven't played, etc and so on. :p

In this hobby, you definitely want to try and help yourself first, because it's the only way you're going to really learn. Give a man a fish vs teach a man (or yourself) to fish. I always try to search a thread, look for key posts, do a quick google search, see if I can turn up an answer. If I can't, I post the question here, and then figure it out from there. I don't turn the thread into my own personal diary of everything that happens from that point on.

Sorry if this comes off harsh, just trying to explain where the frustration comes from. If you have a problem that you've tried to search or resolve on your own and come here for help, no one will be upset. These are complex machines. But a little self help to start goes a long way in this hobby!

This topic had it's highest peak ever in posts per day over the past 2 weeks, something that doesn't happen unless there is a major announcement or change with the game. The peak for production ending happened first and was the highest ever, until the past 2 weeks surpassed that even.
Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

#8125 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Gameplay question (mostly)!!!! The manual says two hits on the Dauntless without it going through the hole destroys it and qualifies COTBP multiball. The past couple weeks I've noticed a few games where I've hit the ship twice without it going through the hole but the multiball didn't qualify. It seems to be qualifying multiball only when I get it through the target hole. When I hit the ship it plays the video animation for a hit, and I haven't had an error reported for Switch 48 so that means it's been registering hits. I also just took the glass off, pulled the playfield forward, and went into switch tests to check #48 by hand. When I rock the Dauntless by hand the physical switch clicks and the machine dings, so the switch seems to be okay. It does seem like the ship has be rocked almost completely left for the switch to click though, and if it only gets rocked halfway left then the switch doesn't click, so I guess maybe it's possible some of my missed shots just didn't rock it far enough left? I thought I had a couple of games where I twice got the animation for a hit without it qualifying the multiball, but I could be mistaken. Just thought I'd see if anyone has had a similar experience. Meanwhile, back to work playing & getting better at the shot so this becomes a moot point!
Should I put mylar on the side of the ship to protect it from missed shots? Sorry, I couldn't resist that one. I truly went back and forth on whether or not to make that joke but I couldn't help myself.

If the switch is a leaf switch try adjusting it. I believe 48 is a leaf switch but don’t recall.

#8161 4 years ago

Key post!

Quoted from EaglePin:

Challenge accepted!!! Here's a list of all the +/- attributes for each character (including JJP typo/awkward wording on Marty, Barbossa, & Angelica):
Salazar:
+ Multi drain ball save during multiball
+ Movie 5 multiball easier to qualify and scores double
- Multi drain does not happen often
Elizabeth:
+ 3 Chapters always lit
Will:
+ More time for combos
+ 5x skill shot
Jones:
+ Liars dice advantage
Jack:
+ Removes 2 least desirable mystery awards
+ Increased everything for treasures
Governor Swan:
+ Cannot be plundered
- Cannot plunder
Blackbeard:
+Every multiball ball saver is longer
Scrum:
+ Spot 1 female character per chapter at 5x
+ Female characters score 2x
+ Bonus X always held
Marty:
+ Refunded some gold when starting Tortuga multiball
+ Gold bonus is 50% more, gold collect increased value
Carina:
+ More time for everything
Norrington:
+ Easier chapter shots
- All chapters score ½ value
- Helper shots score ¼ value
Henry:
+ Spot character always lit during chapter
+ Shot chapter increase value doubled
Barbossa:
+ Easier multiball shots
- All multiball score ½ value
- Helper shots score ½ value
Pintel:
+ Spot some pirate lanes for the entire game
Bootstrap:
+ Movie 2 multiball easier to qualify and scores double
Tia Dalma:
+ Choose your chapter instead of random
+ Movie 3 multiball easier to qualify and scores double
- Decreased chapter multipliers
Beckett:
+ Pick up all gold with single action button press
- Gold bonus is 50% less
Angelica:
+ Spot 1 male character per chapter at 2x
+ Awarded skull hold at end ball every ball
Ragetti:
+ Once per ball add-a-ball in play when ball is aboard the Black Pearl
- Score ½ while add-a-ball is in play
Cotton:
+ Easier Black Pearl motion
+ Black Pearl scoring is doubled
Philip:
+ Movie 4 multiball easier to qualify and scores double
Gibbs:
+ Tortuga multiball scores double
+ Tortuga bumpers scores double

#8285 4 years ago
Quoted from Cobray:

Just reading through this with people asking how many LE's is JJP making... I kind of laugh at this because the reality is, JJP doesn't really limit the middle-of-the-line models if there is demand.
Look at Hobbit- LE, then they came out with a more desirable "Smaug" edition that was just like the LE. Now look at WOZ, multiple editions, all "LE" quality available.
Of course this is good news for those looking to add a sweet game to their collection, but for those thinking they are going to have a super rare model that will climb in price, I'd think again.
I am seriously considering a JJP POTC in the future, but I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that $9500 is hard to swallow for one game. Oh well.

I don’t think they are asking because they hope it’s rare. I think they are asking because they are just curious. That said, considering used LE are going for about the same price as NIB, I’d say many people see the value for the $9500 version being well worth it. The demand is there.

#8288 4 years ago

Posting this for a key post referencing rubber ring sizes and locations. This is in the owners manual as well. Screenshot is from vireland I believe.
B86939D9-191C-4935-8BAB-28CE33B8C4F5 (resized).jpegB86939D9-191C-4935-8BAB-28CE33B8C4F5 (resized).jpeg

#8294 4 years ago

Titan also has a correct kit already made up (through community submission) with all the components properly chosen.

Yep. Though if someone wants to use different colors or something other than titan they’ll need the ring size and locations.

#8296 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Appreciate it, but it's better to direct people to the tech thread for PotC (and key post it there, if you like) where this post is in the index rather than this general conversation/club thread.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues/page/8#post-4958386
The graphic is a combination of two pages from the manual that eliminates wasted space.

I get the sentiment but there's no harm in having information in the official club thread. Many people look specifically for club threads and then search them for information like this. I know I do!

edit: and yes your graphic is perfect!

#8299 4 years ago

The kit has them all listed But yes.

Except the kit doesn't tell you where a 1.5" ID ring goes or a 2" ID ring goes etc. So if you're only trying to selectively replace a few pieces without buying the entire kit, the full listed kit doesn't tell you where each ring goes, so you don't know what to buy. I literally just did this since I was placing a titan order today to just replace a few pieces and did not want the entire kit.

#8302 4 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

I wasn't satisfied with the sound quality from the stock speakers and it's most likely because the midrange fires up into the cabinet. So today I connected Pioneer 4" 2-way speakers instead. Sounds much better! Took a while to do all the wiring. I added spring clip terminals to the back of the boxes.
They're just sitting on the head but seem to be secure so I won't bother attaching them. I also have an external sub (a must).

Check out the PinWoofer internal amp and sub. Replaces stock sub. Sounds awesome. I have two pins with them, going to put them in the rest of my pins now too.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
Other
32,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Charlotte, NC
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.
Decals
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
350 posts in this topic match your search for posts by f3honda4me. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider f3honda4me.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club?tu=f3honda4me and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.