(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 11,391 posts
  • 438 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 37 minutes ago by gliebig
  • Topic is favorited by 211 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,024 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20190719_223935 (resized).jpg
MVIMG_20190717_191916 (resized).jpg
20190716_201421 (resized).jpg
524FB317-4D41-4120-953D-627B22995859 (resized).jpeg
51C984DE-C0B0-482B-875A-BE5DF462B1BE (resized).jpeg
FA3E4EE4-91AA-4FDB-B945-821737541939 (resized).jpeg
2A0D139A-8BEA-43FF-B49C-F5CA44973BAF (resized).jpeg
77B7660A-A2F8-4AB6-BCFD-C0EE823C9CF5 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
60E06893-EA3F-4408-935A-D482EFA4E1EE (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
247095F1-4E8B-400A-AEB1-CA84C57B82EA (resized).jpeg
9856AA38-2D02-471D-B239-8878441C9245 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

19 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #222 Liar's Dice rules explained! Posted by goren1818 (9 months ago)

Post #644 Rules flow chart Posted by Rbviessman (8 months ago)

Post #1021 How to fix black pearl lamps Posted by Yelobird (8 months ago)

Post #1360 Black Pearl flippers are uneven when in upper position - Fix Posted by evh347 (7 months ago)

Post #2468 Hardware fix for balls getting hung up during multiball. Posted by Pinballpal (6 months ago)

Post #2892 Adjustment for auto plunger not hitting balls cleanly or correctly Posted by Pinballpal (6 months ago)

Post #3974 Deadflip stream from Valentine’s Day 2019. Posted by Tuna_Delight (5 months ago)

Post #4014 POTC trouble shooting guide Posted by zaphX (5 months ago)

Post #4856 Possibly let distributor go through machine and get it tuned in. Posted by dgposter (4 months ago)

Post #6315 Fix for dauntless positioning, canon shots not landing Posted by Yelobird (3 months ago)

Post #6631 Twitch Video - How to Remove and Reinstall Black Pearl Upper Playfield Posted by KevInBuffalo (3 months ago)

Post #6655 Mylar bubble at jjPotC Map hole. Posted by thc666 (3 months ago)

Post #6834 Titan ring sizes Posted by AUKraut (3 months ago)

Post #8145 Positives and Negatives for each character Posted by EaglePin (85 days ago)

Post #8288 Rubber Sizing and Location on Playfield Posted by f3honda4me (83 days ago)

Post #8602 How to see pictures the game has taken Posted by f3honda4me (75 days ago)

Post #8625 Version .99 release notes as of 5/6/2019 Posted by pinball_keefer (74 days ago)

Post #8709 How to backup settings before installing an update Posted by LTG (73 days ago)

Post #9273 Version .99 Character Plus and Minus Benefits Posted by pinball_keefer (64 days ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider eskaybee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#100 10 months ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Sorry, I was trying to make a joke based on a podcast I just listened to, I added a sarcasm emoji.

I typically like his podcasts but on the case of Pirates he’s way out there and wrong. He just doesn’t know Pinball. I like how he compared the rules of a game he’s owned for a year vs Pirates. I played Pirates and BM66 a handful of times each last week. In the 4 times I played each; I got the penguin crane out 0 times and I fired the black pearl cannon once or more in each game and blew up a ship once. I’ve played BM66 in the past and I still don’t understand that game whereas Pirates is easy to me. I have no idea how to light multipliers in BM66 but on Pirates is light as day, it says it on the ‘useless’ apron display “Super X” and even gives a ‘call out’ saying it’s lit, and the ‘oversized’ display shows your pf super x multiplier light as day.

He did have some good points though, especially about a 4-player game and how long it takes to get going when you have 22 characters to select from. Stern fixed this on GOT by making casual mode for operators that has House Stark as default. Maybe JJP can do something similar for Pirates and just have 4 or 5 of the main characters selectable for operators and advanced players can hold down action button to gain access to all 22.

And btw, potc isn’t all about jack sparrow. There’s tons of characters in the movies that play huge roles, hence all the character chapter mode styles and shots in the game. Fantastic integration for what rights JJP had even if a podcaster doesn’t think so. Don’t believe everything you hear on podcasts

1 week later
#152 10 months ago
Quoted from KingBW:

The way they dim the lights like that and only the shots you need are lit up on that mode makes it more intense and reminds me of the Toto and There's No Place Like Home ball saver modes on WOZ. Very well done.

I think I read somewhere that you’ve played a standard edition on location; is the light show good on it too?

1 week later
#203 9 months ago
Quoted from LesManley:

You start out on a wager screen where you choose what you want to risk, then you get the game screen where you bet and call the computer player a liar. I wasn't ready for it and I kept waiting for the game to end the mode and throw the ball back into play, so I didn't start recording the video right away. I didn't know how to play, but I won.
https://www.facebook.com/john.jundt/videos/10214899716879405/
[quoted image]

EDIT: ^^ Kevin beat me by 34 secs
Liars dice - using your pic as an example:

+ whenever you ‘Bid’, you must increase either the # of dice (left number) or the dice value or both. (So once someone bumps the dice value up to 6 you can only start raising the # of dice)

+ you have 5 dice, as shown, and your opponent has 5 dice. 10 total.

+ so looking at the pic, it looks like your next bid will be 1 (Six). Your opponent can then raise the bid to anything more than your bid of 1. Let’s say it comes back as 3 (Sixes) - you have 2 sixes in your hand, now it’s a guess whether you think your opponent has one or more sixes or had none.

+ If you think he has none, then click Liar. Both players show hand, calculate all the 6’s. If there’s 3 or more he wins, if less than 3 you win.

+ or you can raise the bid again and go for 4 (6’s) hoping he has at least 2 for a total of 4.

It’s really a fun game when 2 or more people are involved. Not so fun against a computer. Glad it only happens if you play as Davey Jones. Which begs the question, when do you play it? When you start your game? Or Beginning of ball 3 so you can risk your total score or even your ball? If the latter, then it could become interesting and fun.

#210 9 months ago

I hate being a Debbie downer, especially cause I love this game so much. But between getting a dozen map awards per game and the sound of Liars dice, i definitely Have my caution flag up on jumping in on a $10k machine. On the flip side; Keith and Joe are fantastic programmers and those types of things that turn me off can also be turned off in game, or at least toned down. At least I think map awards can be toned down so they’re harder to get?

#218 9 months ago
Quoted from Hogbog:

Hey guys,
We'll explain it all on the stream tomorrow. Make sure to join us on twitch at 3pm central time.
Liar's dice is qualified via the Pirate lanes. It is added to the list of potential pirate lane awards up after you have completed the Pirate lanes three times. Once you've completed the lanes with it selected as your award, hit the Pirate stand-up and Liar's dice is lit on right orbit.
It is purposefully deep in the rules to help avoid casual players accidentally starting it and being completely lost.
Davey Jones always has it as a potential Pirate lane award.

Excellent! Makes liars dice more player selectable driven rather than random 5 times a game unlike some other video modes

1 week later
#251 9 months ago
Quoted from Ramjet:

Has anybody heard anything about adding/expanding the lightshow and audio when firing at the ship and then sinking the ship?
The new movie clips help but I think just firing and hitting the ship should result in much better audio and greater light show and then sinking the ship should really be something "special"

It would be nice that right when you hit the fire button, you hear a big cannon blast. Followed by one of two sounds > you hit, get big loud explosion. You miss, you get the sound of water plop. Or something like that.

#253 9 months ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Hard to tell in the live streams but is there no explosion audio on a direct hit or any shaker integration on a hit?

not when i played the production model a few weeks ago. All i heard was a 'tink' metal on metal. And i did make the shot once and was expecting/hoping some cool integrated effects, but got nothing. There's so much packed in this game (for the good of man) that i presume they will add it at some point. It's probably the hardest physical thing to do in the game; light cannon, load cannon, sink ship. Some good choreographed effects would be nice.

1 week later
#333 9 months ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Has anyone accomplished this yet?

For someone who watches JJPOTC like a hawk, you sure do miss a lot

Check out buffalos stream.

#380 9 months ago
Quoted from Gusphan:

I'm not a rules genius, so bear with me, but why would you choose "Shot X" over "Super X". Shot X just multiplies the next shot, while Super X multiplies the entire playfield. Seems much better, no?

Why not both qualify super X > get shot X with the PIRATE lanes (all but one letter) ready, hit pirate target to cash in super X > start super X > spell PIRATE to qualify shot X > cash in Shot X > ??? > profit.

Too Easy? Then stack super X 6x with Shot X 6x

2 weeks later
#552 8 months ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

In the context of liar's dice, souls refers to characters collected from chapters. You can double or nothing your characters to really help your wizard mode scores (or not).
Unless it says "your soul." Tread lightly!

That’s bad ass.

1 week later
#965 8 months ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Dumb question here...
Does the depths scoop do anything besides function as a gobble/eject hole?
Wasn’t sure if it becomes a strategic shot at some point in the game, don’t recall ever seeing the compass say to shoot it.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe if you shoot it in from the front it will lock one of the chapter mode values in case you drain; And I’m pretty sure whichever chapter mode value is the highest is the one that gets locked in first and so forth. I haven’t played the game in a couple months so I’m going off memory, and I forgot what it was that increases the modes value - precious chapter score?

#968 8 months ago
Quoted from Psw757:

This helps a bit, I figured it did something just so much happening in the game that it didn’t stand out!

I'm sure there's some strategies deep within for holding mode values with that shot. That's what's so great about this game; tons of depth, breadth, and strategy.

#982 8 months ago
Quoted from Troz:

Running a Pirates stream this evening @ 8pm PST with guests eskaybee and Johnny Modica. Hoping to see lots of plundering and wizard modes!
https://www.twitch.tv/iepinball

Man we had a great time! especially with the plundering. Poor Johnny

We got to 2 wizard modes (kraken, and stranger tides), I choked worlds end wizard mode with it lit. We got to the treasure hunt thing a few times, and Rayman (V00) got the 6666666 multiball going with the pearl being the last of the 6 mb's to light by blowing up the ship during multiball - impressive!

What a bad ass game!

#985 8 months ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I don't think this game is the game of the year...... I think its the game of the Century!!!

I can’t argue that. I can’t think of a game that can top it, it’s a great shooter, Has Tons of depth for solo play, As well as a real fun game to observe and help spot someone play, and plundering while pretty unfairly random (which can be adjusted in settings) is still a load of fun. The ball times are all over the place; we each had 10+ minute balls at times, but on the flip side, we each had many many <1 minute balls as well.

It’s really impressive how much the game changes with each different character you play as while keeping balance. It’s not GOT or SW different, it allows you to focus on another aspect of the rules and try blowing up the game in a different manner.

#998 8 months ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I consider myself as having a decent pinball collection. Addams Family Gold, Attack from Mars, Congo, Dial In LE, Elvira and the Party Monsters, Guardian of the Galaxy, Iron Maiden, Monster Bash, Scared Stiff, Ruby Red Wizard of Oz. I want the POTCLE so bad, something from my collection must go to get it.. I played my friends POTCLE and damn its so good.. What should i sell to get it.. Eric, you can chime in to help..

Congo and guardians in my opinion.

#1011 8 months ago
Quoted from anathematize:

yea the pulse works about 90% of the time on the machine i've been playing. the SDTM drain only happens occasionally but its maddening when it does. as mentioned a simple 2 second ballsave would completely alleviate the issue.
the tortuga kickback issue is more prevalent in my experience. i'm not sure if its just a matter of the coil getting weak after getting played a bunch but once it starts happening its pretty much a 100% chance of a drain out of the kickback unless you nudge the machine right as the kickback is happening. i've seen a bunch of casual players just toss their hands up and call it 'cheap' after draining this way. seems like it could be fixed easily with another 2 second ball save or possibly toning down the kickback strength so the ball just falls to the right flipper.

On Karl's machine during the stream, it started kicking SDTM 100% of the time. He found a loose screw on it, tightened, no issues rest of the night.

#1012 8 months ago

loving this game so far. such a deep experience and i feel like i've barely scratched the surface.
i've also noticed 'unfair' drains from the chapter select post drop and the tortuga mystery kickout that seem to get worse the longer the game is played. takes some serious nudging to avoid them sometimes. just wish it was consistent.

read the rest of hogbog post; there's a setting to change the speed of the post release so that may help.

Quoted from Hogbog:

Magnet should pulse before the post comes down to prevent that. Verify your magnet is working right, then see if adjusting the up post timing helps you out at all

1 week later
#1257 7 months ago
Quoted from AdamTheHutt:

Now that I've settled in and played a lot more games I do a few other criticisms besides Sound of Music. Actually not very many. Super happy with this game and it's going to be one of the best in my collection and no time it's so insanely fun.
That being said I found a majority of the game modes, because I haven't even played them all yet, are not very intuitive. I know this is an unfair comparison but let's say Lord of the Rings when you're playing a game mode like escaping the ringwraiths, or battling the Tower with the ents, it actually feels like you're doing those things when you're hitting the shots. Most game modes on playing now or just hit these three shots. Some elaborate name for the mode and it's just hit those two shots hit those three shots it doesn't feel very thematic or intuitive at all.

I could be way off base here as I have only limited play on the game. But from what I gather, the chapters aren’t modes per say (like LOTR modes), they are chapters at which you collect characters (souls) which are used on the wizard mode for that movie. You’ll notice in the JJP streams they always refer to them as chapters, not modes.

This game is more of a stackfest, do what you want when you want type of game, and not so much of a mode adventure game. You’re in the Pirates universe; battling, plundering, sinking ships, stealing gold, collecting souls, etc...moreso than going on a scripted adventure. I think the reason for this is because you can play as 1 of 22 characters. So you, the player, choose the adventure so to speak.

On the flip side; the actual part of the rules that does take you out of that stacking element and more into a mode game is when you hit the wizard mode for each movie, then you are centered in on one objective only. Almost like you’ve done all this pirating, but now a disaster of some kind is occurring and you must use your experience and characters (souls) you’ve collected to defeat whatever it is you’re up against (depending on the wizard mode).

Hopefully that makes sense and that’s just how I perceive the game and it’s objectives. Personally, I love it because it’s something different and unique.

#1307 7 months ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

Wow...Quality Control is out of control at JJP it seems.
This reminds me of the Heighway days when it comes to amount of games shipped to problems reported ratio, and keep in mind that only a fraction of customers are here on Pinside which makes it only worse.

You might not want to visit the Iron Maiden issues thread then...

#1311 7 months ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

Thousands released vs dozens.
What are you talking about.
I own both IMDNLE and FullTLE. i am an owner of both, are you?

Im not talking about FullTLE. Could care less about that game. Just saying Maiden has a lot of issues too, like Pirates. And Pirates has way more going on mechanically than Maiden LE. Typically, early production games (stern and JJP alike) have always needed the most tweaks out of the box. What’s going on with JJP QC isn’t what problems come off these early runs, but more about what they do to correct it. And, Eric has posted that he has visits with the factory ironing out issues that he’s gathered and makes adjustments. Stern does the same thing; and in some cases they just fix it in software (i.e. GOT).

All in all, you make it sound like JJPOTC and Heighway are alone with these issues. If JJP we’re having serious board issues (like WOZ - which has been corrected), then I would certainly raise a flag. But the bottom line, and a good rule of thumb is, if you want to avoid having to make these kind of tweaks and iron them out with the community, or just don’t like having to tweak your game so often, stay away from being an early adopter of the game. This goes across the board with all manufacturers. That’s the nature of this hobby. And, if you don’t like that part of the hobby one bit, then you best stay clear of new manufacturers till they can whether any storms.

1 week later
#1611 7 months ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Anything qualify multiballs other than playing a chapter?
Last couple games I had at world end multiball qualifies even though I don’t think I played a chapter from said movie.
Mystery awards maybe? Any other possibilities?

You don’t have to play a chapter to qualify the multiball. Multiball qualifications are as follows - and I don’t own the game so someone chime in to fill in the blanks and/or correct me :

Movie 1: curse of black pearl - sink ship or I believe 2 misses? Black pearl skill shots also advance it.
Jackpot = load cannon
Super jackpot = load cannon and sink ship

Movie 2: dead mans chest - lock 3 balls.
Jackpot = shoot green shots
Super jackpot = shoot chest after collecting all jackpot(s)

Movie 3: At worlds end - collect the 9 pieces of eight which I believe is from making one of the 9 major shots on the pf. Start of Each ball (except ball 1?) spots a piece for you.
Jackpot = maelstrom
Super jackpot = Calypso which is under upper left flipper

Movie 4: on stranger tides - shoot upper flipper inner loops
Jackpot = Shoot inner loop for a Jackpot
Double Jackpot = Shoot through the chest then around the inner loop
Triple Jackpot = Shoot the right orbit and then around the inner loop
Super Jackpot = If you collect all three Jackpots... shoot the inner loop again and the up-post will capture the ball and if you hit the up-post with the other ball and 'newton' the captive ball back around the inner loop you will be awarded a Super Jackpot.

Movie 5: dead men tell no tales - far left spinner
Jackpot = roaving arrow
Super jackpot = dead men tell no tales shot i.e. far left loop

Super jackpots are accumulated towards your end of movie wizard mode. Must play the movie multiball and all 5 chapters associated with that movie.

#1650 7 months ago

I think this one is the toughest to get. Especially with any other MB's going
From the manual:
-Shoot inner loop for a Jackpot
-Shoot through the chest then around the inner loop for a Double Jackpot
-Shoot the right orbit and then around the inner loop for a Triple Jackpot
-If you collect all three Jackpots... shoot the inner loop again and the up-post will capture the ball and if you hit the up-post with the other ball and 'newton' the captive ball back around the inner loop you will be awarded a Super Jackpot.

Nice, those are some cool rules! I updated my post to reflect.

I’d be impressed if someone has intentionally done this. Have any of the JJP guys done this on stream? Paging troz Karl, time to try some fun super jackpot goals

#1653 7 months ago
Quoted from Troz:

Already done, many times
I'm fairly certain I did it on a stream, but don't know which one.

Dam you! ...Wait, did you do it intentionally? haha

We gotta get some more multiplayer games going and plundering! This is how i feel wanting to play Pirates again...

chappelle.gif
1 week later
#2017 7 months ago

Couple questions:

1. Anybody have or know of any streams of a standard edition in action?

2. Is there any difference with the CE's other than topper, barnacles, and Davy Jones art?

1 week later
#2464 6 months ago
Quoted from moTiv8:

I play my pins always with the factory standard Settings (3 Ball).
Extra Balls are at 150.000, 400.000 and 800.000 and other Feature settings are also standard.

So in short, your game is on 6-ball

3 weeks later
#3003 5 months ago
Quoted from Energyspike:

I've had the same issue recently with the ball getting stuck under the Dauntless. I look into it this week when I have time but there is only a post and roll over wire switch below there so I assume that's where the ball is getting hung up....

Isn’t there a rollover switch there that registers the shot? Check to make sure that switch isn’t hanging the ball up. I remember something similar like this happening to Karl’s game when we were streaming. 2 minute fix.

#3005 5 months ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Assuming it is that rollover, what is the fix?

Slight bend so wire part of the switch isn’t so high up on the playfield.

1 week later
#3291 5 months ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Say what?? I highly doubt they are selling oversized balls unless you were just making a comical statement?

Actually, this makes sense (to me at least). Ive always been suspect to Ball Baron’s balls. I tried them in both my SW and IMDN. They felt....different. Hard to explain but the Game was easier, slightly floaty returning back to the flippers. I kept quiet cause i thought it was me. But putting standard balls (Marco) back, game felt normal and fast.

#3485 5 months ago

i agree with you on this. some of the characters could definitely use another round of balancing. having a ball save with swan would be a great choice for single player games and wouldn't be too overpowered in competitive play.
the real elephant in the room is blackbeard IMO. in the hands of a decent player he's far-and-away the best choice for going for high scores. probably a game breaking choice in a tournament. i have a feeling his ball save timer will be toned down a bit if the other characters don’t get some significant buffs or have their negative traits removed.

How about all scores are 1/2 when any ball saver is active as Blackbeard?

#3486 5 months ago

Here’s another rules idea/suggestion. And correct me if this is already in game, but...

+ Ability to Plunder ball locks or multiball progression.

#3522 5 months ago
Quoted from VillaThrills:

On a different note, I know we debate whether or not the top 100 really is worthwhile...but...I have not played Iron Maiden that much as I just can’t get past the theme. People really seem to like it. For those that do like it, do you think it really should be rated better than Pirates? Just curious. For me Pirates is still my #1 followed very close by The Hobbit. It just matches what I like in pinball.

I own IMDN. Pirates is much better. Pirates is the best pin ever made IMO. Hope to own one someday.

#3549 5 months ago

No monkey in WoZ would be a shame. Through the pops to the monkey is one of the more satisfying shots in the game.

#3552 5 months ago

No more pirates. No woz monkey. JJP really is making it hard for me to save $ past the stern pro price point. Hopefully Steve ritchies next game delivers...maybe we get Lyman with it

#3554 5 months ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Wait and see what wonka is like .

Theme does close to nothing for me. But ill have an open mind.

#3742 5 months ago
Quoted from blimpey:

These last few posts have me second guessing my Munsters LE. I have the option of switching over to a Pirates and think I’m going to do it. The tides have turned and I’m jumping ship.

What’s the price difference, like $500? And you’re getting like $5,000 of more features, integration, and code? Seems like a no brainer, Pirates all the way.

1 week later
#4306 4 months ago
Quoted from Crile1:

"well..does that mean cheaper monitors on POTC Standard and LE than on WOZ, DI and Hobbit? And the old original style only on the POTC CE?
Only a JJP collector would be able to check on that"
See for yourselves.
[quoted image]

Can you snap the same exact pic but with all 3 games started on their default gameplay screen?

1 week later
#4972 4 months ago

I’ll post some thoughts i feel about JJPOTC in regards to Kaneda cause i think he may learn a thing or two here. Now, i could care less if he or anyone doesn’t like the pin - after all, it is pinball. But, i’d Like to tackle this from a different perspective in hope’s to open up the third eye:

First, JJPOTC vs. SFII the arcade game. I grew up in the 90’s and spent many countless hours in arcades, mainly playing the SFII & MK2 games. Heck, i even worked in arcade for 10 years and eventually became a store manager before moving on to my current career. That said, arcade games were very linear structured games, basic storylines, intuitive rules and understanding, and very story driven. Then along comes SFII; the story lines and single player progression was very weak compared to most arcade games, but what SFII had was character selection with very deep rules which began a saga of pvp. Then came SFII Chapmions edition with even more characters, and eventually Marvel vs SF and capcom vs SF with loads and loads of character selection. And now to this day, because of that, video games have endless possibilities for character selection, development, and depth. You pick a few characters you relate to, and master their abilities and style. It wouldn’t be til countless weeks or months of playing that you would veer off and try different characters and specialties. Now onto JJPOTC - a deep rule set but like SFII, it has many characters to choose from and for you, the player, to specialize & focus on your path to ruling the pirates universe. Do you bring in a character like Salazar and focus on movie 5 objectives and go for its wizard mode, or do you pick a more general character like Elizabeth swan able to progress steadily on all movie objectives? Or perhaps you go with a fan favorite like Captain Jack Sparrow and benefit from the luck of the draw like he seems to in the movies and rely heavily on tortuga mystery awards? Or do you take captain Barbosa who rules the ships and treasures (i.e. the multiball jackpots)? So many possibilities; like SFII, you wont learn each characters strengths and weaknesses in a day of playing. It will take many many games than that.

That brings us to Theme Integration. If this game was based on Curse of the Black Pearl; then yes, it would make sense to make this a more story driven game. But, it’s not. I may be in the minority, but i happen to like all the Pirate movies. Are they the best movies ever made? Not by a long shot. They are fun and campy pirate movies. That said, the movies aren’t just focused on Captain Jack Sparrow. There are so many sub plots, and sub stories that focus on all sorts of characters. And in the movies, each character has a different pirate like personality that is brought to life and plays a roll in each scene. The pinball takes advantage of this allowing players to take on one of these characteristics to battle in the pirate universe. In the movies, each person (or pirate) has their own agenda for acquiring what they want most which is what the movie is mostly about. So who are you going to choose and which direction are you going to go with? To me, the JJP team did a fantastic job of incorporating the theme to this game.

Lastly, many JJP games (JJPOTC is not alone here) have problems on location. I think Dialed in is their worst of the 4 pins by JJP, but it’s also the best for on location as it has the fewest issues. Ive played finely tuned JJPOTC’s and not so fine tuned and there is a major difference; just as the same with stern games. And i think Kaneda has no room to talk about ball times when comparing it to BM66, holy marathon ball times Batman!

SKB out...

#5060 4 months ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Thanks for the positive comments folks! I’d definitely cast with Kaneda again.

You did good!

Here’s Kaneda’s look when you told him you bought Star Wars and love it.

6B916239-6756-4DD7-B8E7-8DA6DCF9CC48.gif

And of course, Derecks peace out when the interview was over:

CF356DAF-C8F6-4084-B1B5-02866040B435.gif

#5063 4 months ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Thanks! I really didn’t feel like that though. It seemed to me a perfectly friendly conversation.

Haha i know. I just thought it was a funny gif. But it was a great interview on both sides.

I’m a bit sleep deprived so my sense of humor is a little warped atm

#5076 4 months ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

You're a little obsessed with Chris.
Got a man-crush on him?

Actually, you missed the mark on that one. My Man crush is on @zaphx - that dude’s a stud! And I’m not talking about his interview with Kris, that’s just dust in the wind. What he does for you Pirate owners is gold! I’d feel a lot more comfortable buying this pin if i were in the market knowing guys like him and LTG are around.

So don’t be too be too concerned, you can keep your boy toy.

27E0CCD5-B336-4EC5-8A3A-581BBFD698DB.gif

#5330 4 months ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I’m interested in this also. So far I’ve just used Novus 1 which is a cleaner, not really a wax. As I understand it Novus 2 and 3 and polishes which are abrasive for taking out scratches.

Wizard mist n shine is a fantastic cleaner. I like it better than Novus 1 and I believe it’s JJP approved.

As for a wax; I’ve used mothers carnuba wax in the past but it’s so dang messy. I hear blitz is great too but is also messy and leaves residue chunks of wax in crevices also. A high end meticulous collector turned me on to collinite 845 which I’ve been using since. It’s super easy and leaves no residue or white chunks. For home use only pins that I’ve purchased NIB, I find it to be perfect and I only wax once or twice a year, and use wizards mist n shine in between.

amazon.com link »

#5336 4 months ago
Quoted from zaphX:

My buddy is streaming his CE right now. Http://twitch.tv/cextion

I tuned in just in time for him to get at worlds end wizard mode! Haha good timing. I Had to cut it short though. CE playfield looks sweet!

#5342 4 months ago
Quoted from Coz:

I’ve yet to officially order my POTC, I had to sell a couple of pins first- selling 2 tomorrow. I’ve seen a lot of you mention issues right out of the box, and that makes me a little nervous. Does anyone regret their purchase?

I’m kind of in the same boat. Thinking about going with a different JJP game as my next pin; #1 to save money ($9k+ is over my budget) and #2 I have little kids, so free time isn’t something I have a lot of so I’d like to spend that playing, not fixing.

#5476 4 months ago

Do you guys think JJP could retheme pirates into toy story? I don’t think it’s far fetched especially if the license is botched. The whole FGY/Shrek concept was jacks to begin with. Plus, I think people, for the most part, would relate to picking a toy story character at game’s start vs a POTC character.

They would obviously have to redesign some of the toys. But, all the characters and rules structure could stay in place. Now I believe there is only 4 toy story movies, but there was a mini film special they did a few years back called toy story of terror; they could use that as the 5th movie filler.

I dunno; I could be way off base, but the glove could fit.

1 week later
#5809 4 months ago

most of them are relatively balanced. Blackbeard is the glaring outlier. his trait combined with no negative trait in a such a multiball heavy game is just crazy powerful in the hands of the right player.
this is anecdotal and obviously each game plays different but on the machine I'm playing on not a single one of those scores in your photo would be close to the top 10. on our game #10 starts at 3.8 million and GC is near 5 million. every single high score is a Blackbeard game. the other characters don't even come close.

I suggested this a long time ago but will reiterate. I think Blackbeard should have a negative that whenever the ball saver is active, all scoring is 1/2.

#5815 4 months ago

fair enough. maybe its just easier to get there with Blackbeard and i need to invest more time in the other characters and figuring out how to exploit their traits.
but for a tournament... i'm still going Blackbeard or bust.

troz knows a thing or two about tournaments (top 20 in world?). I’d be curious who his top picks for tournament play would be. I bet in the end, he’d probably just go random just so he could toy with his opponents haha.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Old Saybrook, CT
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St Paul, MN
$ 279.95
$ 87.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 279.95

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider eskaybee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside