(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 12,556 posts
  • 470 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by adamross
  • Topic is favorited by 220 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,238 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DEAB7C32-C3F9-4E1F-A635-6075853567D7 (resized).jpeg
D138B2B2-FA60-48F9-B4FB-6F0A051EDB19 (resized).jpeg
60417BE8-B52C-4418-B2F0-C56B52284152 (resized).jpeg
2C17611F-B880-4400-8F82-C0E864AF43E8 (resized).jpeg
595E901D-231D-4566-888F-75777840B8D3 (resized).jpeg
Cabinet (resized).jpg
Backbox (resized).jpg
20191009_132151 (resized).jpg
20191008_153311 (resized).jpg
20191008_153501 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
A1863898-7ABE-4D45-952C-58082E61E895 (resized).jpeg
63E4838A-1F7A-426D-8F9E-D3ECACA67A89 (resized).jpeg
D3800967-8FAC-4220-BF0F-83DDE3C7E42E (resized).jpeg
20191005_065939 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #222 Liar's Dice rules explained! Posted by goren1818 (1 year ago)

Post #644 Rules flow chart Posted by Rbviessman (11 months ago)

Post #1021 How to fix black pearl lamps Posted by Yelobird (10 months ago)

Post #1360 Black Pearl flippers are uneven when in upper position - Fix Posted by evh347 (10 months ago)

Post #2468 Hardware fix for balls getting hung up during multiball. Posted by Pinballpal (9 months ago)

Post #2892 Adjustment for auto plunger not hitting balls cleanly or correctly Posted by Pinballpal (9 months ago)

Post #3974 Deadflip stream from Valentine’s Day 2019. Posted by Tuna_Delight (7 months ago)

Post #4014 POTC trouble shooting guide Posted by zaphX (7 months ago)

Post #4856 Possibly let distributor go through machine and get it tuned in. Posted by dgposter (7 months ago)

Post #6315 Fix for dauntless positioning, canon shots not landing Posted by Yelobird (6 months ago)

Post #6631 Twitch Video - How to Remove and Reinstall Black Pearl Upper Playfield Posted by KevInBuffalo (6 months ago)

Post #6655 Mylar bubble at jjPotC Map hole. Posted by thc666 (6 months ago)

Post #6834 Titan ring sizes Posted by AUKraut (6 months ago)

Post #8145 Positives and Negatives for each character Posted by EaglePin (5 months ago)

Post #8288 Rubber Sizing and Location on Playfield Posted by f3honda4me (5 months ago)

Post #8602 How to see pictures the game has taken Posted by f3honda4me (5 months ago)

Post #8625 Version .99 release notes as of 5/6/2019 Posted by pinball_keefer (5 months ago)

Post #8709 How to backup settings before installing an update Posted by LTG (5 months ago)

Post #9273 Version .99 Character Plus and Minus Benefits Posted by pinball_keefer (5 months ago)

Post #11892 Clear concise video on removing the black pearl Posted by rlslick (53 days ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cheshirefilms.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6467 6 months ago

One bedroom apt, no problem. Just joined the club!

IMG_20190331_124245 (resized).jpg
#6469 6 months ago
Quoted from anathematize:

in the same room as the bed?
on another note... how is the noise for your neighbors? i've always been hesitant to bring a machine into my condo because I don't want to be 'that guy.'

No. That would be a studio. No problems with neighbors. I think subwoofers cause more issues, and usually on second floors, which I no longer do.

#6533 6 months ago

Question- the shooter rod doesn't appear to be "long enough" to rest the ball high enough on the rubber tip for the autoplunger to hit the ball effectively. Other than "pushing up" on the rubber, a makeshift solution but not a great one, how do I fix?

IMG_20190401_132112 (resized).jpg
#6535 6 months ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Can you shoot the ball? Or is this just an observation. As the ball is round not square I suspect it comes close enough to the shooter tip.

Yes- i can shoot the ball, but the autoplunger is making too much physical contact with the ball at rest in the shooter lane without "choking down" the rubber tip like 3/4 off the rod.

#6544 6 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

This isn't true. If it's retarding energy off the shooter rod, it makes it hard to gauge the amount of pull needed to hit the skill shot, often from shot to shot (since the amount of nicking varies). It absolutely matters if you want to do skill shots.

No movement of the autoplunger from the shooter rod.

#6858 6 months ago
Quoted from Energyspike:

I had the same issue with the mylar coming up on the map hole and when I went to put the cliffy on, I had a large chip at that spot. So large that the cliffy would not even cover it all. I could not bring myself to even take a pic of it, I was bummed.... For all who are hoping it will not happen, it's a roll of the dice. I ordered the cliffy's as soon as it was mentioned on this thread. I had about 1500 games played...

Ask Cliff to make a custom one that'll cover the wear for you. He's good people.

#6859 6 months ago

Felt very piratey today. Hit my first wizard mode- Dead Men Tell No Tales. I pretty much had to deal with a couple of pirates to nab this machine used, but very grateful I brought this monster game into my life.

IMG_20190404_174109 (resized).jpg

#7013 6 months ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Installed Kraken Tiltgraphics side art blades today. I've installed art blades in numerous machines so can speak with some experience. JJPOTC is challenging and very tight between the playfield and cabinet. Highly recommend using the wet method for installing them. Also, one of the inner backbox hinge nuts was flared out along the edge and did not want to come out. Finally got it out, but as it came out it damage the inside formica on the wood. Luckily the side art and the hinge nut itself will hide the damage, but still very frustrating. Ended up having to dremel off the flared edge of the nut when I reinstalled it. I also recommend that one does not install art blades on JJPOTC without the Pinball Universe sideart protectors sold by PinballLife. Any movement up/down of the playfield will rub and damage the sideart without the protectors.[quoted image][quoted image]

Glad you're happy and for your game it worked out.

As much as I love sideart and/or mirror blades on the right game, I think Pirates is probably the wrong game,
at least at this juncture, especially with the need to buy protectors for the blades to even try.

Plus, I wouldn't go with an all encompassing Kracken design. That's only a piece of the game. It would have to correspond and extend each section of playfield, like the SillyOldElf design on Monster Bash.

In absence of such an option, I think of the black sides as the art- the walls of the PoTC ride building at Disney as you ride through- and I'm happy enough leaving well enough alone.

#7015 6 months ago
Quoted from delt31:

Not always necessary to install protectors when doing mirrors. I installed mine no issue.
Looks nice with mirrors - what game doesn't? I also love the water/kraken side art

Plenty don't benefit. Hobbit and No Good Gofers are prime examples, to name just a couple. It's all about how the machine lays out.

Certainly not jonesing to do so while my game is still getting settled and needing initial servicing.

With all the toys and mechs on the sides in Pirates, I wonder if I'd also feel mirror blades a waste. I'm glad that, to you, hey look nice.

That acknowledged- I can't think of game I haven't scratched them up in, no matter how much care I've shown. I usually go with them only to hide beat up walls on old Bally Williams games, which look way worse.

Anyways, with the black aesthetic throughout, my artistic sense feels this one should be left alone, absent SillyOldElf blades that extend each individual playfield zone as though the original design called for it. Except for the magical starfield, it's black skies on the sea in my PoTC.

Blades that have the same spirit of design as the kind going in on YBR WoZ at the factory or none for me.

#7417 6 months ago

Fun tip to add. After talking to ZapHX, I decided my slings won't need the starpost fix- yet. What they did need, however, was a little bit of Quixx- a clearcoat deep scratch remover- to smoothen any "suspect" circular white clearcoat artifacts around the sling holes. Seems to have come out nice.

IMG_20190413_104349 (resized).jpg

#7419 6 months ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Did you take any before pics?

I should have but didn't. Sorry about that. But Quixx is good stuff and one of my favorite playfield products for scratch and/or minor imperfection buffing on clearcoat.

#7445 6 months ago

Probably said before by others, but I'm surprised the CE didn't have the Dutchman instead of the Dauntless as the ship inside, given it's basically the Davy Jones edition.

#7488 6 months ago
Quoted from Maide:

If/When JJP re-release a new CE-tier of this game, I think there will be a lot of happy new owners in this thread, with me as one of them.
Or maybe a foolish soul will sell me their CE before then. Either or.

Doubt they will, especially if Wonka and/or Toy Story kill it. I mean, they want to make 6000 Wonka between the LE and the CE. Plus a ton of SEs.

With the high cost of materials in POTC and it's poor sales record, as in, maybe 800-1000 games sold across all editions, like the most recent movie, I think it's fair to say the game is done and Jersey Jack won't come back. Five years from now, it might even be thought of as JJP's Medieval Madness. I had to scramble to get one when I realized my dream of an HUO used PoTC LE for $7K would never come true.

I mean, what could they strip out to make it more profitable to return, AND hope it doesn't belly flop a second time? No ships= no game.

#7496 6 months ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

I think they have sold more than you think. Just because it wasnt sold out in 2 days doesnt mean it wasnt a success. I think alot of the reason there are still machines available is because at their price point LE is the way to go. $1000 difference between SE and LE is a no brainer just the glass and shaker motor were worth that. So most people are looking for LE not SE and the LE are sold out for the most part (still a few here and there). The CE are still available because a good portion of people cant afford to spend that cash. 1 JJP CE vs 2.5 Stern Pro or 1 JJP vs a semester or 2 of college for your kid. Machine is plenty popular and wont be long before you will not be able to find them NIB.

Incorrect. Lots of people have confirmed. The LE and CE are both sold out. Here and there is wishful thinking. The standard is all that's left and its just not home collector highly sought after. At least not right now. I suspect they'll sell too, in time, especially to new large barcades that hadn't gotten one yet. As for the game not being a commerical success, it wasn't mate. Certainly not by past JJP standards. The writing is on the wall. It's barely been out and it's already gone.

#7498 6 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

PotC LEs are gone for sure, but pretty sure automated/pinballs.com has a few CEs left.

Maybe, but doubtful. A couple buyers who wanted CEs made their rounds and didn't sell their LEs that they posted on Pinside when they couldn't be found, despite previous reports like this.

#7500 6 months ago
Quoted from rs812:

I talked to Mike at Automated last week and he had 9 CE’s left.

Nice. Hope y'all who are in the market pick one up. Previous hopefuls couldn't find em. Seems like the last of the litter.

#7509 6 months ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

Well considering I bought and paid for one 2 weeks ago and received it 1 week ago cant really say they are sold out. And you are also contradicting yourself when you said that

So are you saying that only 800-1000 games have been sold and there will never be another run? My comment was not incorrect from what you had initially said. LE are hard to find CE are more available and SE you can still get pretty easily. Not sure how I was incorrect.

No one knows anything for sure about the games figures or future except perhaps the powers that fund JJP.. I just think we can read the tea leaves and make a reasonable forecast.

I admit I got the CE part wrong, though people cancelled selling their LEs for allegedly not finding the CE. At least from the trusted/usual suspects distributors.

As for the LE it still seems sold out. A couple weeks ago/around TPF was the timeframe people were scrambling to get the final ones.

But if one disty know one knows has a couple left, it's definitely a secret the others aren't privy to sharing to the rest of us.

#7702 5 months ago

Got a spare apron/coin door LE decal set if anyone is interested. $25 shipped. **SOLD**

Sets of new pinball life slingshot star posts. $10 shipped to cover both slings (choose which color you want blue or clear)

PM me if interested

IMG_20190419_112158 (resized).jpg

IMG_20190419_112803 (resized).jpg

#7703 5 months ago
Quoted from lordloss:

I'd love a ce playfield in a le. Too much Depp on the le

Davey Jones is only in 2 of 5 movies.
So of course it makes sense to make a *Davey Jones* the focus of the CE
I'd have gone with Kiera Knightley

#7708 5 months ago
Quoted from zaphX:

What's the current best source for carbon steel balls?
I put in a set from Marco and I suspect one or more have already magnetized...I've had a couple instances of them sticking in the trough.
I realize there is some luck of the draw at play here, but before I reorder I thought I'd see what others recommend.
BallBaron seems to be out of stock.

TitanPinball! Like .95 cents each!

#7780 5 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

The clear seems to be a little soft still and there's some bunching around posts on the playfield. It's seen on Sterns for the last few releases, too.

I think I'd describe the clear as "gummy" and "pliable" as opposed to past games like Hobbit whose clear was rigid, leading air balls to shatter inserts internally and causing the playfield clear to occasionally crack.

The offshoot of this different consitency is a much quicker to dimple playfield even without airballage.

But with the man overboard ball drops in particular being an regular occurance, I'd definitely not have it any other way.

#7782 5 months ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

I cringe everytime a ball drops off. I haven't looked but I have to assume there is mylar over there, right? It's where the shooter lane drops off too.

It's mylared, but it never hurts to double the mylar over there. That said, it appears this game's clear was designed to absorb airballage at the cost of up-front dimple concealing beauty. Even star posts installed at the slings leave marks in it.

#7790 5 months ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Novus 1 is just cleaner. 2 and 3 are abrasives (meaning they remove clear coat.)
Probably best to just leave it alone and play. THe clear seems so pliable that it would not surprise me at all if it flattens itself out over time.

A great lesson I learned from Xerico is to not look "too close" to the playfield till you have actual gameplay issues. It ruins the fun. Always.

Protect with mylar where ball drops happen every game. In a home, surface clean maybe once every 3-6 months. But besides that, sit back and enjoy.

A steel ball colliding IS going to cause divots, and dings, and occasionally small cuts will happen too. Especially on THIS gummy clearcoat. It can make you upset, or you can just accept that this *is* the nature of the thing.

Well, unless you change your balls every 10 plays or so.

So just play and enjoy...the devil's triangle is in the details

#7809 5 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

It doesn't need any more grip. The speed and direction changes grab and change the ball trajectory much better than any implementation I've ever seen in a pin.
Good luck in the hunt for an LE. They're almost completely dried up now, but there are some CEs left, then that's it.

I was gonna say the LEs are gone by most accounts, but there are a few standards and CEs.

#8199 5 months ago

New poster is up! So excited.

Side question- anyone with a spare SE/LE plastics sheet who might let go of a set of the slingshot Plastics? There's at least a couple spare sets on each sheet.

Happy to pay. My game came with these cracked. Just trying to stay away from fronting $100 for what should have been in the goodie bag.

Thanks to someone with a good heart in advance
IMG_20190422_113838 (resized).jpg

#8204 5 months ago
Quoted from wesman:

Your goody bag one's came cracked on in your game?
JJP should be able to replace them for you, I'd assume.

There were no extra slingshot plastics in the goodie bag. When I called JJP I was told to spend $100 for a sheet, they don't have loose spares even of the slings.

#8216 5 months ago
Quoted from wesman:

Oh lordy, that's not good...

For the topper installation.

I know, right?

Anyone want to trade me a spare set of sling plastics from an uncut sheet for a roll of awesome black felt tape for the exposed wood, for maximum glide and look?

IMG_20190425_170840 (resized).jpgIMG_20190425_171336 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#8429 5 months ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

FYI: My JJPOTC LE is back up for sale, as the original buyer has decided to back out after the playfield glass mishap. Here is the ad:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/78542
If you are looking for a extremely nice HUO LE with all the right mods, fully sorted, many extras, then let's talk. PM me here on Pinside if interested....

I wonder if the glass incidentally touched the Stern pinball mat under the game at an awkward angle.
Stern and JJP gear don't play together nice.

#8716 5 months ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Non issue that can only be prevented by not playing your pins. Pirates dimples more because it's played more

Pirates dimples more too because its got a little extra flex in its clearcoat vs. previous JJP games, especially Hobbit.

#8731 5 months ago

Game three on .99, had I timed out the fifth mode I could have gone for COTBP Wizard mode for the first time. *Sigh*

IMG_20190507_162905 (resized).jpg

#8750 5 months ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

Isn’t the game designed so that if all the levellers are all the way in, it’s naturally at 6.5?

This goes to the correct pitch question not the levelers.

For correct pitch, it depends on the game. For example anything less than 7 on Monster Bash Remake pretty much plays like garbage, as in, ball goes STDM from right bumpers and sometimes gets stuck going up the left ramp.

My POTC LE is at 6.5, how designed, and plays nice.

#8821 5 months ago
Quoted from zaphX:

It looks like I'm going to have to remove the Pearl and a bunch of plastic guardwork soon; this rubber is about to die from love and heavy home use.
I don't guess there is a shortcut I am missing other than tearing it all down?[quoted image]

Have you tried gently rotating the rubber ring with your hand so that the nearly dead edge gets out of harms way? I'd imagine so long as the posts and ball don't come in contact with that spot you could extend the life of thing ring.

#8824 5 months ago
Quoted from PsychoPsonic:

No shortcut I know of. The Titan I put in to replace the original left chapter rubber is starting to chew up at that spot too. Looks like this is going to be a regular swap for all of us...

Maybe install a clear poly ring instead next time instead of a titan? Aren't those supposed to be nearly indestructible? In the meantime, rotate the weak spot in the rubber out of the path of the ball and the force of the band/ball on the post..?

#8921 5 months ago

Proof the patch graphic works from time to time, random.

Side note- Weatherby Swann is useless in a one player game. Perhaps he could allow the player to use the lockdown button to control the stopping of the map award wheel, like a slot machine?

That would be off the chain!

Screenshot_20190509-192618 (resized).png
#8932 5 months ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

There's no plot justification for that, unlike pretty much every other power in the game.
He's getting changed, don't worry...

Not worried. I'm interested to see what'll be chosen.

Governor Swann, as Port Royal governor, didn't seem to govern so effectively in the series, troop orders in CoTBP excepted. But it was his "authority to govern" that inspired my former idea, given the results of his governance efforts seemed pretty random.

#8939 5 months ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I had an idea. How about a virtual POTC competition? Here is my thinking:
- I’ll make a thread for this
- we agree upon a cutoff time like say midnight Saturday CST
- everyone plays and makes ONE post to the thread with their best score screen, showing the score and character they used. For streamers they can also include YouTube link to their game (clipped to show only that game)
- after the cutoff I’ll collate the results
If you’re like me you play POTC almost every day anyway right? Let’s do it together!
Any interest?

Or I could just drive over and beat you on your own track

#8974 5 months ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Why not? I have extended the deadline to midnight CST on Sunday. Hopefully that gives everyone a chance to post a score! We will recognize per-character winners as well as overall winners so please feel free to participate at any skill level.

Be more fun with prizes like mod of choice to the winner

2 weeks later
#9594 4 months ago

What do you call the first picture? A good start. The second, a grand champion score. Biggest points were hit with all multiballs, tortuga multiball and arrgh frenzy all stacked. No wizard modes. 2 extra balls plus special. Yes, she's a pirate...
IMG_20190528_050640 (resized).jpgIMG_20190528_052642 (resized).jpg

#9600 4 months ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I think it does and that a very significant difference. Seeing everything all white would make it much more difficult to figure out what to shoot.

That plus the argh frenzy light show is not to be missed.

#9637 4 months ago
Quoted from dts:

I agree with you on this, having played the CE and LE. If you are a huge fan of this game, I think the CE is clearly a standout. Good news is they are all great!

The CE is mostly bling for the added cost of a diamond ring.

#9893 4 months ago
Quoted from delt31:

Yeah so kaneda is definitely getting this game. Heard the podcast and you guys are right - hilarious.
He knows what's up and guess what..... He'll be gushing about it shortly. Impossible for someone who likes Pinball not to enjoy this game.

K is a marketing/trend guy. Part of him may be interested for the games sake, but likely just wants it to be in the middle of this, the rarest top 5-7 ranked game phenomenon. This is a guy who built a shrine to the unplayable Magic Girl. He's always hopping from trend to trend. That's his career.

#10230 4 months ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

So true. Fits the can't have what you can't buy demand logic.

Once Jack's done making Wonka its reportedly Guns and Roses then Toy Story. Yes there's some money on the table to make a few more. But reportedly this game was a nightmare to build at the factory. But so long as you're selling all you can sell with the staffing you got, why look back? Wonka on the main line, WoZ on the small. And why ever pull WoZ, the gift that keeps giving? That said, nothing would surprise me long term. It's pinball.

#10526 4 months ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Some small pieces of black foam insulation would probably tighten up the look of the chest. The space between the "casing" and the mount is huge. I'm gonna experiment with that. I also have an idea for another mod which would finish off the chest.
Anyone interested in a chest coin topper?
(Sample rendering) ... would be "real" metal coins and could come with a RGB LED light with color control dimmer. Doing a mockup shortly.[quoted image]

Forget coins- logical disconnect from the franchise- make it a creepy interactive beating heart like the movie, and have it light up and beat only when Multiball is ready/active.

1 month later
#11564 77 days ago

Love the Pearl window too, but decided to clip the wires/led light, pushed it from stock feel in my view to modd-y so I preferred it as-is, the gold window looks so good, plus easier install without having to wire through the game
Screenshot_20190728-105517~2 (resized).png

#11568 77 days ago
Quoted from RTS:

The problem I had with the lighted window was I immediately thought it looked like an old time radio from the 30's. Doesn't fit in a pirate's ship.
I can't unsee it now.[quoted image]

Considering Mezel Mods charges $38 for the top, I definitely don't feel bad at all chucking the LED for Magical's $45 window is comparably a much better product, and for those that like the light it comes with/ready to install.

1 month later
#12177 30 days ago

JJP printed some extras and sold them through at least one disty, Eric's brother, for $100 each. They came with extra pages/photos in the back that aren't in the PDF manual of the making of the game. I've got one on my shelf. Expensive, but I figured it would be a nice collectible, and amongst pinheads a neat conversation item.

Speak of the devil, see above∆∆
IMG_20190913_063411 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#12271 23 days ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Thanks! Slingshot ate it somehow, never seen that before, lol.

That happened other day to me as well, but even funnier was the airball that landed on top of the light fixture on lower left of the apron.

2 weeks later
#12448 8 days ago

I'm beginning to wonder if there should be a more narrow path to break the curse once it's coded.

Maybe complete- not just start- a wizard mode to light break the curse. Getting to all 5 wizard modes is just too superhuman. I mean, it's hard in Hobbit to get to the endgame, it'd be a heavenly miracle for Pirates.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 189.00
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 87.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, VIC

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cheshirefilms.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside