(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,885 posts
  • 633 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Buzzie
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pirates2 (resized).jpg
IMG_2296 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2297 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2298 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2299 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2301 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2300 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240330_165232 (resized).jpg
POTC_Mods_annotated (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 12.02.54 PM (resized).png
17117301082711484468150429261795 (resized).jpg
20240329_160033 (resized).jpg
431321214_1110342276953195_8816628931148154685_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #222 Liar's Dice rules explained! Posted by goren1818 (5 years ago)

Post #644 Rules flow chart Posted by Rbviessman (5 years ago)

Post #1021 How to fix black pearl lamps Posted by Yelobird (5 years ago)

Post #1360 Black Pearl flippers are uneven when in upper position - Fix Posted by evh347 (5 years ago)

Post #2468 Hardware fix for balls getting hung up during multiball. Posted by Pinballpal (5 years ago)

Post #2892 Adjustment for auto plunger not hitting balls cleanly or correctly Posted by Pinballpal (5 years ago)

Post #3974 Deadflip stream from Valentine’s Day 2019. Posted by Tuna_Delight (5 years ago)

Post #4014 POTC trouble shooting guide Posted by zaphX (5 years ago)

Post #4856 Possibly let distributor go through machine and get it tuned in. Posted by dgposter (5 years ago)

Post #6315 Fix for dauntless positioning, canon shots not landing Posted by Yelobird (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider benbethel.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13302 4 years ago

Hey there everyone - I'm just about to receive my POTC CE from ASOA - should be shipping next week, and I've selected the following mods to be installed... but I'd like feedback on these and their pricing and whether they seem like great mods. Would also like feedback on what mods would be awesome for the pin? I ordered this and Wonka CE from ASOA, and have waited a bit longer than I'd like, but am hoping that it will all be worth it in the end. Here's a link to the mods I'm getting...

http://tinyurl.com/s3qy9or

Much appreciated everyone... thank you! Now I just need to sell my Bride of Pinbot, Road Show, Woz 75th and Hobbit Smaug Gold Edition to help pay for these two pins!

Finally - on the 'drain topic' button, what does that exactly do.... does that catch me up on the topic? I wish the hover text was a bit more descriptive.

Thanks!

POTC MODS ASOA (resized).pngPOTC MODS ASOA (resized).png
#13304 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

This has been discussed to death in the past. Each actor ( 23 ) owned their own video and audio rights, not Disney, and the only Disney movie like this as far as I know.
So you have to make a deal, your people and their attorney and agent. Some might not cost much, some a lot. Then get the audio/video you want to use. Put it in the game, and get Disney's approval, and then use it or not and continue or start over.
Heaven knows how much money and time this would all chew up. Easily double the cost of the game and delay it many more years.
In spite of everything. Eric made us a great game. With what he had to work with.
LTG : )

Yes... that just complicates things tremendously. There should be riders in the contract that state that "for the purpose of ______" insert (video games, pinball machines, gambling machines, casual clothing, streetwear clothing, high fashion, automobile collabs, airlines, trains, public transit, private schools, public schools, fast food, frozen foods, meat products, vegan products, fresh uncut fruits and vegetables at grocers (I've seen this!), etc., etc.), "I agree to ______" (insert fee structure here, or terms and conditions - some actors will not support certain countries, certain foods ie meat/dairy, gambling, etc) so that these processes can be streamlined, legal fees reduced, and things made a bit more automatic. Someone may demand a LOT more for a video game than a pinball machine... someone may demand $0 for fruits/veg/vegan foods because it's something they're passionate about... someone may have zero support for having their likeness and work attached to a certain political party, politician, or country. I've read through a few contracts for a musician, but they're rather daunting and you're just doing a deal with the devil to get into the biz.

#13306 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

I don’t think there’s anything that lists them.

What? I'm just trying to get through the last 50 pages of posts on here now that my CE seems more and more likely that it's going to go through and be delivered next week or the week after. I'm having some mods put on it... including a starfield background mod... but I'm guessing my mod will cancel out this feature of the pin? Thoughts? See my mods attached here:

POTC MODS ASOA (resized).pngPOTC MODS ASOA (resized).png
#13309 4 years ago
Quoted from bbulkley:

I was surprised at how cheap airfare was - about the same as shipping a pin in the US.

I know! I have friends in Melbourne and Sydney and flying from the US can be as low as $600 round trip a lot of the time... if you have a high loyalty status you may be able to have it transported for free. Years ago I used miles to fly First Class on Korean Airlines and flew LAX to INC to SYD to MEL with a first-version model of a Segway... I was 'bringing' it into the country for a 60 year old women who'd suffered from polio as a child. It was a large and heavy box and I wasn't charged. When I got to the airport customs was all over it. I told them I needed it for a physical disability, partly true. They needed my assurance that it would not be left in Australia, I told them I was bringing it back. Otherwise, they wanted USD $5000 in taxes to be paid on the spot! I went to the airport Hilton, showed her how to use it and was on my way. Called two weeks later before leaving the country and she was crying on the phone - first time in the life she'd been able to move more than 20 meters without someone else... she'd been to the park, stores, cafes, museums, etc., etc... after 55 years of never being able to do anything. We cried together, it was such a great feeling... then went on my way to Vanuatu and New Zealand and home.

Sorry, just had to tell that story. Shipping is expensive, taxes are crazy on imports I think, and not sure how to get around all that. I'm surprised all pins aren't sold as compatible with all power sources. Maybe they need to switch to gaming laptops inside, they already have LEDs, the screens take almost no power... then they could get the pins a bit thinner on the cabinets and the back, and move to two boxes... one box as cabinet and the other as the back and legs... it'd be fantastic to finally get pins into 2 or 3 x 50 pound boxes instead of one 250 pound pin. I think it's possible and inevitable as people have less and less space in their homes. Doing this opens up more markets for sale, more customers for purchase, and a little bit less space required in homes means more buyers, and current buyers may be able to squeeze just one more pin into their homes.

#13310 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I'm a bit disappointed with the way code has been handled for Pirates. Not only is JJP's most recent game, Wonka, more code complete then Pirates but JJP is also likely working on another title or two. We paid our $8500 - $12,500 for Pirates, it's time to finish the code.

I like the Tesla approach - offer frequent upgrades, even if just changing something small it really helps with consumer evangelism. I'd love updates to sound, graphics, light patterns, etc... just mixing things up a bit and keeping it fresh makes for happy people. I grinned when I read your price range... my CE just cost me $16,500, plus $500 for shipping, plus another $1k+ for some mods. I think I'll probably limit myself at $20K with some more mods and be done with spending on it... I hope.

#13312 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Find a better dealer. Or buy direct from JJP.
LTG : )

I agree... either find a different dealer or buy direct. I'm of the 'buy direct' camp for new pins... and if that dealer does repairs/service they should absolutely love selling pins that further support their income. I've run into several dealers who also will not sell JJP... it's strange to me because JJP just has beautiful machines that check every box for me. They just need to push more updates, perhaps have more distinct differences in their versions being sold, heck why not have $7.5k, $10k, $12.5k, $15k and $20k versions of pins? People will pay it, there are people out there who think that $20k is pocket lint and just want that ship in a bottle or golden egg or whatever and let their pins sit and collect dust. They're the same people who pay $2500/sqft for that extra 400 sqft room ($1M) in their home in SF, NY, Aspen, etc to have room for pins. I'm not at that level, money still means something for me... but I can be swayed to spend an extra $5-12K on a pin with different features and my sick, twisted, and demented mind will find a way to rationalize my addiction to this 'playable art' - see I just did it.

#13313 4 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

Anyone have a feel for what a new in unopened box pirates CE would go for these days?

Well, I just paid $16,500 plus $500 shipping, so $17K. I've heard of one person paying $13K, another $15K, another $20K, another $22K. I just got sick of trying to find one... it's a hard pin to find. At least it was for me. My mistake was in wiring money immediately and being told I'd receive it quickly - my wire was end of october, beginning of november... I still don't have my pin... should have it end of next week or the week after. I'm pretty confident of this, and I want to maintain a healthy relationship with the seller as I've also ordered a Wonka CE from them, and they seem to be nice but have had a series of things pop up. I hope to have a great relationship with them in the long run, maybe they'll even sell me a specific pin that I've got my eyes on. I hope that they go above and beyond to exceed my expectations so that they have glowing reviews from me and my future business. They can still salvage this for sure... I'm easy-going until I'm not.

#13315 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

If Disney is as involved as much as many say they are in licensing and actually do care they should be begging JJP to put that in as an attract song.
Why on earth wouldn’t they, shit they even went as far as putting a hidden Mickey or two in the damn game.

Right... it's probably there just by chance. Here's my opinion - if a pin helps to keep a movie/franchise/brand strong/alive/fresh then definitely ease the licensing and show that having a pin is one of the best ways to demonstrate that your brand is alive and kicking and relevant after many, many years. I tell ya... if there was an amazing pin for the Japanese Shinkansen bullet trains, they'd sell 50,000 units in Japan alone... it's part of the brand of the nation! If
'Dialed In' was 'Shinkansen!' with all sorts of Japanese cultural references, JJP owners/staff would be billionaires.

Back to the licensing... pins should be some of the easiest (should be!) licensing deals. It 'should be' an 'honor' to have a pin created for your movie, music, etc. It should reinforce and add value to your movie, music, etc. It should make people want to keep watching those movies, listening to that music. Sadly, it just isn't this way.

#13316 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

JJP pretty much abandoned posting on pinside because it was rarely a positive environment, don’t blame them at all. Constant attacks. Jack used to post fairly frequently as did others. Stern doesn’t post at all, that I’m aware of. Every once in a while Keith will post and Ltg is always here for help.

That's unfortunate, and for a business owner this forum should be vital to continue to participate in, no matter the attacks. They're also from New Jersey, they should have tough skin but it's likely difficult to keep biting their tongue and not want to tell everyone off... I get it. Frankly I'd just spend the money on someone to be their 'voice', a mid-20s social media student who can take notes, speak with the key staff, get back to the public in the correct, positive, upbeat, re-assuring tone. Spending $5K a month on someone like this would result in quite the return... even to the point if the company sought additional investment that it would result in stronger valuation. They've got to have an exit plan at JJP - everyone's always supposed to have an exit plan.

Sorry for all the posts today, I just felt more comfortable about my CE being a reality after not being so sure for a while... so I was getting caught up on the last 50 pages of POTC posts.

#13317 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Thats pretty frustrating....and frankly a little odd. Did he get the game from Europe or something?

I don't think so, I think they've had it from the get-go... unless they had sent me pics that weren't in their warehouse. That could definitely explain a lot. I'm hoping there will be a way to trace the serial number on this to see how many hops it had before getting to me.

1 month later
#13888 4 years ago

Finally got my NIB (then modded, then shipped) POTC CE #138 yesterday - after paying $16,500 for it and wiring $29K to someone (also a Wonka Ce) on 11/13/2019 - I've been unpacking things, putting them together, reading up, and finally booted it last night and played two games. Here's a link to the photo album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/BqyW3VBw25A3tCnCA

So far - and forgive me for not knowing all the lingo, I'm clueless...

* my left lane wire ramp isn't lined up, trying to loosen nuts but still doesn't want to move...
* my starfield (the JJP one) and starfield mod aren't working, the mod has a few lights illuminate, the JJP one has the green light on but no testing shows the lights...
* the screen was dropped and backglass paint is scratched - I opened the backbox and tried adjusting but it won't sit at the right level, argh...
* ball got stuck somewhere in the back need to investigate that...
* when sliding the playfield back in it doesn't want to go all the way back to sit nicely, it seems to barely fit, and in doing that when I dropped it in one of the orange plastic pieces on the left lane flew into the air, guess I need a new one of those...

Really wish someone in Phoenix with great knowledge of this game would come over and check it out and let me know what's working/not working as it should. This is my 7th.. went from Bride of Pinbot, added Whitewater, Simpsons Pinball Party, Woz 75th Ruby Red, Road Show, Hobbit Smaug, now POTC CE, and 8th pin - Wonka CE - arrives on Thursday... since then I've sold Whitewater, TSPP... really do miss that Whitewater. I'm addicted, love them, but really need to start knowing more and caring more and understanding more!

Thanks everyone!
Ben

#13896 4 years ago

It was out, I appreciate the note, I'll move my issues to the other thread, I thought this was the right place.... thanks everyone!

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

take things one at a time! As far as the playfield not going in, you probably need to remove the foam block at the back of the cabinet. That’s not supposed to stay in.

#13966 4 years ago
Quoted from Highscoresaves:

I'd recommend Firebird Pinball. Kris is just awesome

He won't work on JJP machines the last I talked to him... I've used Firebird for my Bride of Pinbot, Whitewater, Simpsons Pinball Party, Road Show and he's bee awesome, but unless he's changed his mind he doesn't really like JJP. I think with them having more and more pins being released he's going to have to finally start servicing them.

#14005 4 years ago

Thanks for everything, the dangling ethernet cable was correct - did not see the all black ethernet port back there!

Monitor is still an issue, I'll work on that...

Quoted from zaphX:

Looks to me like those orange plastic protectors are blocking the ball. I'd lose them personally.

Plug in that dangling ethernet cable into the star map board.

Lift the metal levers on the sides of the monitor and push it up into the bracket.

What else is wrong with it?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

24,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 38.00
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanted
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider benbethel.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club?tu=benbethel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.