(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,868 posts
  • 633 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 23 hours ago by gunstarhero
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240330_165232 (resized).jpg
POTC_Mods_annotated (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 12.02.54 PM (resized).png
17117301082711484468150429261795 (resized).jpg
20240329_160033 (resized).jpg
431321214_1110342276953195_8816628931148154685_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240204_044856660.MP (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240203-170723 (resized).png
PXL_20240128_214506994 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240128_224833483.MP (resized).jpg
IMG_0980 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0982 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0981 (resized).jpeg
download (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #222 Liar's Dice rules explained! Posted by goren1818 (5 years ago)

Post #644 Rules flow chart Posted by Rbviessman (5 years ago)

Post #1021 How to fix black pearl lamps Posted by Yelobird (5 years ago)

Post #1360 Black Pearl flippers are uneven when in upper position - Fix Posted by evh347 (5 years ago)

Post #2468 Hardware fix for balls getting hung up during multiball. Posted by Pinballpal (5 years ago)

Post #2892 Adjustment for auto plunger not hitting balls cleanly or correctly Posted by Pinballpal (5 years ago)

Post #3974 Deadflip stream from Valentine’s Day 2019. Posted by Tuna_Delight (5 years ago)

Post #4014 POTC trouble shooting guide Posted by zaphX (5 years ago)

Post #4856 Possibly let distributor go through machine and get it tuned in. Posted by dgposter (5 years ago)

Post #6315 Fix for dauntless positioning, canon shots not landing Posted by Yelobird (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aukraut.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3907 5 years ago

Alright, SWMBO has very hesitantly sort of agreed to let me make my next pin purchase: JJPPOTC LE!! Zach ZMeny at FlipNOut is already taking care of me, and looking forward to it joining the collection in a couple of weeks. Keefer pinball_keefer really wet my appetite on this pin with his panel at LAX last year, and I've finally got the resources to be able to pull the trigger...stoked!!! An apparently just in time, based upon JJP's announcement. This will be my first JJP, so looking forward to learning the Ins & Outs of this system as well!

In the mean time I will be slowly re-reading this thread in detail as well as others here on Pinside to prepare. Cliffy's are already ordered, and now I'm looking for other must have mods such as plastic protectors or flipper cabinet protectors, which I haven't been able to find any so far form the normal sources.

Besides the awesome mods from the Mod Couple Yelobird that will also be ordered sooner or later (just as I did with BM66) what are the other must have mods/items I will need to get for my soon to be arriving pin??

#4040 5 years ago

As I wait to pick up my JJPOTC from Zach in Louisville next week, couple of quick questions for the collective:

1) What color flipper bats are they shipping with?

2) Saw in the manual that some of the rings, especially posts and Black Pearl, are made of rubber and not silicone....is that correct?

3) Trying to decide on art blades versus mirror blades. Are JJP cabinets/playfields too tight to fit mirror blades??

4) Can't believe no one is making plastic protectors in clear, only found colored plastics so far....anyone had any luck finding clear ones??

TIA!!!!

#4043 5 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

1:black
2:yes
3:yes
4:no

Quoted from Yelobird:

First off Congrats on a great purchase from a Great Guy!! 1. Flippers on the entire machine are black. Look fitting granted a bit dark at the bottom. 2 Correct on the rings but as the Black pearl is a light duty play area it works great. 3 I personally would Hold Off on buying Any blades to see how tight your game is! Many have bought and ruined them as the JJP cabinets are Really tight. 4 Agreed. Sorry florescent is Not a pirate look. There have been claims some are making these in clear or smoke. Honestly not a Must have for this game but I do like add on's....lol.

Thanks guys, appreciate the quick responses. Just placed a Titan order to replace the rubber rings, don't like them in the machine for dirt/balltrail reasons alone, pin stays cleaner longer with silicone. I'll wait on the blades, leaning art on this one anyway......

Now I need to start saving my pennies for all of Yelobird Mod Couple mods out there. I thought you went crazy on BM66, but you've gone hogwild on JJPOTC!!!

#4048 5 years ago

Another quick question: does anyone make lollipop side rails for JJPOTC??

#4127 5 years ago

Geez, March 2nd & LAX can't get here quick enough, dying to pick up my JJPOTC LE from @zmeny......

Meanwhile living vicariously through y'all and your pins!!

#4299 5 years ago

Assuming an HDMI input to the LCD, I'm wondering if hooking up my BluRay Player with a calibration DVD will be worthwhile.....Hmmm.....

#4300 5 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

is that the new code? I don't think I have the treasure outlines in the upper corners..

Those treasure outlines I've seen since the first POTC preview on SDTM 12-15 months ago.

#4347 5 years ago

FYI: Mezelmods now has clear plastic protectors available on their website. I know Yelobird and others were looking for these!

Just ordered mine. I've ordered $200 plus in mods already.......and I won't have the pin for another 8 days!!

#4432 5 years ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

Keep the wireform on the left outlane/inlane before the left flipper lubricated good. On location this week I’ve had two balls roll fairly slowly down the far left inline only to bounce off that one way wireform and drain. Bummer.

Quoted from Yelobird:

Um not sure what this means but I would not suggest lubricating Any of the wireforms or any Playfield part for that matter. Unless you meant something else by that statement.

I’m guessing he means the one-way gate on the left flipper inlane that sometimes stays up and lets the ball get thru in the wrong direction...

#4435 5 years ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

Sorry, yes this. But it didn’t get through in the wrong direction, the back hit the gate in the right direction going slow and just bounced down to drain. What would be a fix to get the gate moving smoothly?

if the gate is operating smoothly without kinks or hanging up then yes, a small drop of lightweight machine oil on each hinge will definitely help.

#4501 5 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

Not sure if this is a problem but my ship seems to only be moving from center to the left. In test, it sways fully from right to left. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Check further back in this thread, there is an adjustment on the linkage that can be done behind the playfield backboard.

#4505 5 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

Thank you but can't seem to find the post, happen to have a link to it?

This post shows the bar that needs adjusting:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/66#post-4816972

#4672 5 years ago
Quoted from Energyspike:

I had the mylar bubble in the same spot and ended up with a large chip that goes past the cliffy I had installed on the map hole. Not saying it will happen to you and hope it does not to anyone else but I would say it's a gamble to not protect it with a cliffy. I'm at work so i cannot post a pic but did a few pages back when I installed the protectors. Honestly, I did not notice a slow down in game play with the protectors...

Thanks for the heads-up! When I get my JJPOTC this weekend I'll be sure to put a temporary piece of mylar in this area until my Cliffys come in.....

#4677 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Is there a place to get mylar either online or offline that's convenient? I'd imagine brick and mortar would be a no go. Is Marco's the easiest or are there other outlets?

Pinballlife, Marco, Titan, and others all carry mylar. Pinballlife & Titan have precut 1" square mylar pieces that are perfect for spot protection placement.

#4968 5 years ago

LE #78 (Build date 2/4/19) is now setup in my house, picked it up yesterday from ZMeny from Flip N Out Pinball, even got Hollywoodbone to help us load it:

IMG_6598 (resized).JPGIMG_6598 (resized).JPG

IMG_6599 (resized).JPGIMG_6599 (resized).JPG

Went thru everything with a fine tooth comb, some fixes were already installed from the factory, which shows they do listen to Pinside:

IMG_6600 (resized).JPGIMG_6600 (resized).JPG

Also added Titan Silicone rings on the Black Pearl and Flippers, @tonycip's Medallion Shooter, as well as MezelMods clear plastic protectors. Hopefully the ordered Cliffys will come in sometime soon.....

I've only problems with two issues, one is the Black Pearl wasn't quite centered in its rocking action, which was easily addressed adjusting the screws on back.

The other issue is a PITA that I've yet to been able to fix: Upon setting up the pin I discovered that the display itself not latched in place correctly during shipping on the right side. Luckily it did not damage the backglass. Once I moved the wooden shipping blocks and latched the display into place the right is sagging almost 3/8-1/2" too low. I tried everyday possible to adjustment to the display and mounting arm possible short of total disassembly of the mount with no improvement, the silver frame of the display is still visible and showing on the left. My temporary solution for now is inserting a wooden block as wedge to push up the right side, it's not visible while the backglass is on but its not right. I'm contacting Zach & JJP tomorrow to see if they have any suggestions. I tried most tricks in this thread with no avail.

Besides that she is a best to play. Be looking for an order in the next couple of days Yelobird ! Hoping to keep her in the lineup for a long time:

IMG_6603 (resized).JPGIMG_6603 (resized).JPG

#5046 5 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

Anyone buy this shooter rod? Are you happy with it? Any other options for this game?
ebay.com link » Pirates Of The Caribbean Custom Pinball Shooter Rod Pirates Gold Potc
Thanks
Gerry

Check with Pinsider tonycip , he's been making custom ones for JJPOTC owners. I got one on mine, it's nice!

#5078 5 years ago

Auto launcher question: does yours hit the mounting bracket with every ball launch from the shooter lane, i.e. does the purple part with the green par? Makes a clank sound with every launch that doesn't sound right. It's not hitting the playfield though.......

JJP Auto launch (resized).jpgJJP Auto launch (resized).jpg
#5087 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Congrats on the new game! Do you know which fixes are being implemented from the factory and which ones still need to be done at home? The build date of the game I'm set to have delivered soon is 2/11.

Thanks!! The fix that stuck out immediately was the subway fix as I pictured. Most of the other issues/fixes I've seen mentioned on here I haven't really been looking for, except for that tight 12" CAT5 cable, which is still an issue on mine. Got a replacement coming for it. Others I will look for as a an issue occurs, but mine is playing fine.

I will be posting my "fix" in term of a monitor support sometime this weekend after I put it together......

Good Luck with your purchase, it's an awesome game!

#5092 5 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Why is JJP cutting off production on such a successful pin?

Couple of things to keep in mind:

- They are stopping production, but have neither confirmed or denied a possible later run

- I believe this was always the production end time they had in mind to get ready for the next model(s), however the production start time was severely delayed due to the ring & chest issues. The ring issue alone must have cut weeks/months into their production cycle scrapping the original playfields and making new ones.

#5136 5 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

Still getting into my new game and trying to figure out the game play. What am I supposed to be shooting when I am on the Black Pearl? Is the main objective to shoot the spinners? Is it so many spins of the spinners that open the door to load the cannon or something else?
Thanks
Gerry

The second section of the PDF manual for the pin has a GREAT write up with illustrations of all the basics of gameplay. JJP did a great job with it.

#5152 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

BTW has anyone rerubbered their POTC in Titans? Did you do it right away?

Main playfield is already done in Titan(?) translucent silicone that seems to act consistently with other Titanized pins I have, so those aren't needed. However, the flipper rubbers (red main, black upper) and the Black Pearl upper playfield is still done in black rubber rings. I immediately swapped the flipper rubbers and upper playfield black rings with Titan equivalents of the same color.

#5197 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Did you find any other plastic protectors domestically for sale?
Congrats, by the way!

No, Pinbits never responded to my emails (again) and showed none on their website, and laseriffic didn’t show any either. I went with MezelMod clears and they work & fit fine.

#5231 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Thanks. Yeah, I had just found it searching through the images. I found one DJ on Ebay. Are they really $200bones or is the one I found just high?

They can be had for less, got mine for less than $50 on ebay last week. Just have to be patient for a reasonable seller. Others on here are using other figures from the series instead which are still selling around original retail. DJ is the most expensive one on the secondary market......

#5262 5 years ago
Quoted from JordanB:

What does the subway fix look like from the factory? Same as what others were doing aftermarket?

Here is my 2/4/19 build date LE with the fix factory installed:

IMG_6600 (resized).JPGIMG_6600 (resized).JPG

#5276 5 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Auto launcher question: does yours hit the mounting bracket with every ball launch from the shooter lane, i.e. does the purple part with the green par? Makes a clank sound with every launch that doesn't sound right. It's not hitting the playfield though.......[quoted image]

Bump.....never got any response on this from the collective.....

#5289 5 years ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

Some more assets would be good....

Only so much you can do with 29 minutes worth of video from 5 films.....

....but agreed, looking forward to all the black bonus countdown screens being replaced!

#5291 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

That's what JJP got the rights to?

Keefer at Louisville last year mentioned that they were limited to getting video snippets from the 5 films that didn’t have any character’s faces in them to avoid license issues. Came down to 29 minutes or so of video.....

#5339 5 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

I’ve yet to officially order my POTC, I had to sell a couple of pins first- selling 2 tomorrow. I’ve seen a lot of you mention issues right out of the box, and that makes me a little nervous. Does anyone regret their purchase?

Nope, not a bit. Gameplay and shots are friggin' unbelievable. Mine needed a few minor tweaks, but then again so has every NIB (or even used pin) I've ever bought. Get you one before they are gone!

#5387 5 years ago

Got a chance to work on the final solution for the sagging monitor issue on my LE by making some wedges. I took a 1x2 and cut it to the appropriate lengths of 1-13/16". I also cut a 22.5deg bevel on the top front edge. I then screwed and glued a 2-1/2" piece of masonite to the back to act as a stop. I then used my pocket-hole jig and drilled the mounting holes. After some gloss black spray paint they look like this:

IMG_6614 (resized).JPGIMG_6614 (resized).JPG

After the paint dried I took the wedges to the pin and placed them in place, clamping them lightly to the monitor, and then mounted them with the pocket screws. The final result looks like this:

IMG_6616 (resized).JPGIMG_6616 (resized).JPG

IMG_6615 (resized).JPGIMG_6615 (resized).JPG

Monitor is now perfectly centered in the frame and backglass window.

#5521 5 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Ok I'm loving the game but can someone tell me. How do I know what to shoot to complete the modes. When you start a mode in hobbit it tells you what to shoot for.

The character arrows on the playfield will be lit as well as a listing at the top of the display will also show the characters needed.

#5653 5 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

I wouldn’t hold my breath. If they’re cutting production so soon it obviously means it’s not a financial gain for them to run this game. So why would they go ahead and release it a second time.

Agreed.....I still think that having to eat all those 3 ring playfields when the original design changed had to hurt JJP's bottom line more than we will ever know.

#5690 5 years ago
Quoted from VillaThrills:

So I finally got to this tonight. The cannon rail is only held in by 4 screws. There isn’t much play in it but enough to unscrew a little, twist the right direction (toward my thumb in the pic) and tighten back down. This was enough for me to realign and get a center shot repeatedly.
It is the 4 screws by the u channel, not the 4 nuts. Unfortunately in the pic my cannon mod covers the other side screws.
[quoted image]

Thanks for the tip, will be this myself tonight! First time lifting the Pearl, but it looks straightforward.

#5693 5 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

Yeah, that is the black foam pad I was talking about. The ball just barely gets stuck between the blue bumper in the front of the chest and the black foam pad (and a good shake usually gets it rolling to the left). I think trimming just a tiny bit off that corner of the pad would solve the problem. Bad idea?

No, not a bad idea, I’d still do a little more checking first:

1) pin is leveled and pitched correctly

2) verify that the chest mounting screws are tight

3) is the hinge at the chest entrance working correctly

4) is the blue bumper plug mounted correctly

If you can confirm those, then yes, a little trimming may due the trick.

#5699 5 years ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

Following what happens here.
With my chest when I turn on the game the chest release fires 10-15 times, no idea why. Locks ball one and two fine but doesn’t register ball three and in multiball balls just stay in the chest when hit, they are not released. So when all balls on PF in multiball drain you have to wait for ball search. The foam piece in the chest blocks balls from moving to the left/sitting where they should. I removed my piece of foam as I thought it was placed there for shipping.
I know there is a flyer that says remove shipping foam but they don’t point out how many pieces of foam there are. And the fact that there’s a black piece of foam screwed to the back of the game you have to remove, that isn’t mentioned in the flyer with the game. Guess it’s a null point now that they’re done being made but JJP should list all foam that should be removed in the future. So people here have that foam in the chest and it works? Could you post close up photos?

The foam piece in question is item 18 on the diagram:

POTC Chest (resized).jpgPOTC Chest (resized).jpg

Your issue sounds like the 3rd opto switch in the chest isn't registering....

#5731 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Only new standards left to be made before they're done, last I heard.

My 2/4/19 LE had the subway fix....

#5805 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

...the only outstanding items I have to address yet are a poor screen right side hardware latch (screen sags as a result)...

If you've moved the wooden shipping blacks out of the way and have tried adjusting the right latch without success you may be forced to do something like I had to do with mine:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/108#post-4876871

#5867 5 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Last night while playing I noticed the "X" standup on the Pearl was not registering (makes it really hard to get bonus multipliers). After investigating, I found the "Load" cannon standup was also dead. So both standups flanking the canon door aren't working and neither is showing up as a fault on the switch matrix. In fact, I can't even find the left Load Canon switch on the screen? Any suggestions on how to diagnose/fix this?
I'm assuming I'll need to remove the Pearl so I started by removing the half dozen tie-wraps to free the Pearl wiring harness from the rest of the rat's nest, but haven't yet removed the playfield.

Sounds like the classic broken wire/solder joint under the Pearl. Several write ups and pics of what to look for here in the thread.

#6133 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It was really just more annoying to install than actually hard. I'd say about 45 minutes total. Take down the drop targets, get the ship out of the way, remove 4 nuts, lift the plastic a bit, take off 2 posts and one screw, wipe down the area with the activator, install the cliffy pieces, then reverse the process and put everything back on. Didn't like doing it, but would not recommend skipping it.

"drop targets"??? I think you meant stand-up targets.....

#6301 5 years ago
Quoted from Lambow:

My monitor sags also, the latches hold the monitor in, but not up because they latch on top of the catches. One thing I notice when I tried to fix it last time was the foam that I guess is supposed to keep the backglass from hitting the monitor seem to drag the monitor down when you side the backglass down. I have also tried loosening and adjusting the four screws that hold the monitor to the arm without success.

Yep, that’s where I was with mine, nothing that could be done to stop the monitor from sagging. That’s why I made those wooden spacers to hold the monitor in place.

#6304 5 years ago
Quoted from May:

New owner.
Anyone have an idea?
Somewhere a way to adjust this?
It looks too much.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Following....got the exact same issue, all my cannon shots hit the back of the Dauntless....

#6310 5 years ago

Okay, POTC manual shows those two rear Dauntless spacers to be #8-32 5/16” x 1-1/2” m-f. Marco has a #8-32 1/4” x 1-1/4” m-f but no 5/16”. Looking for a 5/16” version of that Marco spacer now so that it is sturdy enough to support the ship and brings the Dauntless 1/4” closer to the backboard....

#6339 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Ahoy pirate skallywags and rum lovers. A minor public announcement for those ailing from Dauntless aiming issues. This repair tip came from pirates wiser then I but works perfectly if your issue persists. Very simple to do and permanent. The Dauntless as shown is mounted with 2 standard 8x32 x1 1/2” standoffs. Replacing this 2 standoffs with 1 1/4” standoffs brings the ship to port in perfect firing alignment. I will provide a link to McMaster though I am Certain these can be found at Pinball Life, Marco and even Ace hardware last I checked. Took 5 minutes to swap and we be sinking that bloody ship every time now!
Hex stand off McMaster:
https://www.mcmaster.com/91920a252
Pinball life has them in 1 1/8” which would work fine possibly needing a washer:
https://www.pinballlife.com/metal-hex-spacers-1-18-to-3-116-8-32-thread-femalefemale.html[quoted image]

Yelobird as I referenced in my post just before yours the JJPOTC factory standoffs are male-female spacers, whereas the ones you reference are female-female. The closest McMaster standoff needed is this one:

https://www.mcmaster.com/91075a457

note that it is a 1/4" diameter standoff instead of 5/16" that is standard from the factory. It should be strong enough as I have yet to find a 8-32 m-f 1-1/4"x5/16" spacer, but I'm still looking.....

#6342 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

As we have a running pirate help desk today... lol looking at the numerous posts regarding monitor alignment (that would drive my OCD bonkers) has anyone tried simply loosening the monitor mount screws in brackets (#2) in the diagram and pivoting to the correct angle? Seems like all of those universal brackets are slotted for horizontal alignment. Not sure if this will help but hopefully better then wood blocks on this beautiful machine.
[quoted image]

Yep, thought of that as i was trying to figure it out. Unfortunately there is little to no adjustment there as that bracket butts right up to the computer case hardware in the backbox.

#6348 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Did you try adjusting the #2 brackets that mount the arms themselves in the back also?

I spent several hours going thru every component, it finally got to the point that I knew the blocks would work best. So I went ahead and made them the most functional and painted them black, so they wouldn't look too out of place when the backglass is removed. Ideally something like them should be used in all JJP backbones IMO.....

#6405 5 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

Regarding the monitor sag I would definitely go with the mod couple descriptions. Skip the wood blocks and do it right. Adjust the places where you are supposed to adjust.
Just my 2 cents.

Quoted from zaphX:

I second that. I’ll also add, I had an initial sag and it went right away just by seating the monitor in the latches well.

Just as with anything, sometimes things don't work the way they are supposed to, even if they do work correctly for the majority. In some cases (including mine) the only solution that worked to solve the monitor sag was the wooden blocks.

#6471 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I really wonder if this lockdown bar has vent tabs. I can get one side in or the other hits the glass. The screws are basically out..
And I also have wood flaking on the right side of the cabinet near there too. I wonder if something was jammed hard at some point?
Very vexing, and I have to head out for work.

From your pics you are missing 2 2" pieces of rubber padding one on each vertical stop (circled in red where it should go on your pic below):

JJPOTC Lockbar (resized).jpgJJPOTC Lockbar (resized).jpg
#6497 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

So JJP is really out of disc decals?
I’d like to have an extra as well.

I can’t imagine that JJP would not make anymore of them as they are a wear & tear item.....

#6510 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I may be wrong but pretty sure Keith said there was a way to disable character selection in settings. I personally love the select option but everyone has a different taste.

Correct, it's called blind character select:

Blind Character Select: specify whether to allow the player to select their character or have
the software randomly select the player's character (at the beginning of a game).
YES: randomly select player's character Default: NO
NO: allow player to select character

#6526 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Problem is, it's mixed in with general conversation. A dedicated issue thread would be a faster read for new owners.

zaphX has already started an issues doc that he linked to in this thread, check in the key posts index above......

#6537 5 years ago
Quoted from DougPiranha:

My black pearl speeds up, slows down and now is also stopping.
Its like it all the sudden works and then dies.
Help is appreciated

Double check the back linkage of the Pearl to make sure the screws haven't backed out of the linkage. Check the Topic Image Gallery above, there are several pics of that rear linkage, and all have links back to post on different things to check if the Pearl isn't rocking correctly.

#6621 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Got my LE up and running yesterday. Put around 20 games on it and thankfully its playing perfectly so far. May have a minor issue with some Super Shiny pinballs getting slightly magnetized at the chest but will see.

There is no magnet at the chest, however the Star Map to the right of it has a magnet. Either way, I'd definitely use only carbon case pinballs in JJPOTC

#6632 5 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

Tuna streamed the removal of the Black Pearl last night if you guys wanna see how to do it: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/405272384

KevInBuffalo can you give us a time index of when he does this??

#6633 5 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

kevinbuffalo can you give us a time index of when he does this??

Never mind, found it. He starts at about 6 minutes in as he has the common broken wire solder join under the Pearl........

#6636 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Starts around the 10 minute mark actually.

Actually looks like the whole video will be around R&R'ing the Pearl. Couldn't tell that from the beginning from the video, thought it was just another gameplay video at first.....my bad!

#6652 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yeah, I think it's a good blend between both rulesets. LOTR is loaded with progressive based modes while WOZ has a few of those but has many switch points based modes (first 3 Munchkin modes, Crystal ball modes, Haunted modes).
The 125 chapter modes in Pirates are not progressive based but still feel like modes from LOTR in the sense that you have to hit specific shots on the playfield. I tend to prefer hit specific shots type modes versus random switch based modes (hit orbits, pops, all switches, etc) that become dull quickly in my opinion. Every chapter mode in Pirates has you working the playfield in a different way which is pretty cool. Theres also callouts for specific character shots as well as those remaining to help make up for the lack of actor audio / video a bit.
Multiball modes, besides Curse of the Black Pearl, feel a bit like switch based modes with the same shots being hit over and over for jackpots. Wizard modes take things back to LOTR and WOZ mini wizard mode design in the sense they are these separate events that occur in the game and are progressive based. Overall it's a pretty cool ruleset design.

The other thing that adds to this is that some of the shots you cannot get to from a normal cradle hold with the main flippers without having to serve the ball to another flipper (Pearl flippers or upper left Bayou flipper), very similar to TZ, IMDN, TRON. Serving the ball to the Bayou Flipper is especially tough, as the only direct serve to it is thru the pops or thru an unlit chest, otherwise it's a lucky bounce shot. That is something you cannot get from a "normal" 2 flipper fan layout (MM, AFM, Deadpool, Munsters, GotG) that most games are nowadays.

Add that complexity to the multitude of modes........it's ARRGGGHHH time!! It will take one HECK of a game to even reach the Final "Beat the Curse" wizard mode once Keefer codes it!

#6791 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Quick question. I see the ball hits the playfield rather hard when it comes out of the shooter rail. Is there a good amount of mylar put down at the factory to protector that area? Also, any concerns of damage on the playfield or plastic when the ball falls off the Pearl?

Shooter drop area is mylar. Man overboard area is a sticker on top of metal over the wood rail, so ball falls onto a metal area.

#6819 5 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Thanks and I assume Titan is basically the best.
So is the consensus to just replace the rubber vs cleaning it?

I would definitely replace all the flipper rubbers and Black Pearl Rubbers with Titans. Best rings on the market and will help keep the dirt down on the pin.

#6827 5 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

Does anyone know what size rings the upper playfield takes? I'd like to get some titans on order. I don't care much for black rubbers.

C-131 of the manual.......

#6828 5 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Also, how do you guys clean your glass?
Specifically, handle the glass. Obviously, the only part that "matters" is the underside glass that isn't accessible when on top of the playfield. So do you try to handle strictly from the sides, use gloves, etc?

I keep neoprene gloves I bought at Harbor Freight nearby, helps with not having the clean fingerprints from the glass all the time.....

#6830 5 years ago

Seriously, this is for all POTC owners or other JJP pin owners: if you have not looked thru the manual (CD, PDF, or print), you owe it to yourself to take a good look thru it. It is the standard all other pin manuals should be judged by, there is a HUGE wealth of information in it, down to the smallest details with some awesome diagrams and pictures.

#6832 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

These'll work for the 3 main?
Product Code: CS-FLIP-BK
Availability: In Stock
Black

Those are them, pick the color of your choice. I wouldn't recommend black on the lower due to the flipper bats already being black making the flipper harder to see.

#6834 5 years ago

Here is my JJPOTC Titan order to convert all the flipper rubbers and Black pearl rubbers to Titans. I always buy a spare of each, and I also picked up some cabinet protectors for the flipper buttons (not needed for CEs):

Product Name Model Quantity Price Total
Titan Competition Silicone Rings
- Ring Size: Flipper Ring - Standard
- Ring Color: Red CS-FLIP-RD 5 $1.45 $7.25
- Ring Size: 7/16 Inch ID
- Ring Color: Black CS-716ID-BK 3 $0.80 $2.40
- Ring Size: 1 1/2 Inch ID
- Ring Color: Black CS-112ID-BK 3 $1.17 $3.51
- Ring Size: 3/8 O.D.
- Ring Color: Black CS-3D-BK 3 $0.68 $2.04 (should say C S - 3 8 O D - B K....damn emoji!)
- Ring Size: Flipper Ring - Mini
- Ring Color: Black CS-FLIPMINI-BK 4 $1.12 $4.48
Clear Cabinet Flipper Button Protector - Pair Cab Button Protector-Pair 1 $4.38 $4.38

#6982 5 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Okay, POTC manual shows those two rear Dauntless spacers to be #8-32 5/16” x 1-1/2” m-f. Marco has a #8-32 1/4” x 1-1/4” m-f but no 5/16”. Looking for a 5/16” version of that Marco spacer now so that it is sturdy enough to support the ship and brings the Dauntless 1/4” closer to the backboard....

Quoted from Yelobird:

Ahoy pirate skallywags and rum lovers. A minor public announcement for those ailing from Dauntless aiming issues. This repair tip came from pirates wiser then I but works perfectly if your issue persists. Very simple to do and permanent. The Dauntless as shown is mounted with 2 standard 8x32 x1 1/2” standoffs. Replacing this 2 standoffs with 1 1/4” standoffs brings the ship to port in perfect firing alignment. I will provide a link to McMaster though I am Certain these can be found at Pinball Life, Marco and even Ace hardware last I checked. Took 5 minutes to swap and we be sinking that bloody ship every time now!
Hex stand off McMaster:
https://www.mcmaster.com/91920a252
Pinball life has them in 1 1/8” which would work fine possibly needing a washer:
https://www.pinballlife.com/metal-hex-spacers-1-18-to-3-116-8-32-thread-femalefemale.html[quoted image]

Just did this swap this morning, using the Hex Standoffs from McMaster the Yelobird referenced, some 1/2" 8-32 screws, lock washers, and some blue locktite. The firing alignment is 100% perfect now, if you miss you either miss high or low, no longer missing to the back of the Dauntless.

Couple other items of note while back there:

- I would not use 1/4" diameter standoffs (which are easier to find) than the 5/16" diameter standoffs. I do not think they are thick enough to keep the ship straight, as the weight of the lower dauntless totally are on the standoffs.

- I added some additional felt tape behind the backboard on both of the aluminum channels behind the Dauntless. The wire from the Dauntless switch can rub against both of them back there and fray.

#6991 5 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

- I added some additional felt tape behind the backboard on both of the aluminum channels behind the Dauntless. The wire from the Dauntless switch can rub against both of them back there and fray.

Quoted from wesman:

Are those the blades of metal that you have to adjust the wire looms around?

Here is a pic of the pieces of metal behind the Dauntless I put felt on showing the wires that can rub:
IMG_6686 (resized).JPGIMG_6686 (resized).JPG

...and now that I look at the pic the hole thru the shaft for the wire could use a grommet as well!

#6997 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Yeah that was a good idea! Did you place it on each side of the aluminum blade?
Does anyone know the format size of the manual? Is it legal size? I'm going to try and print it out for reference before delving in deeper.

Correct, kinda wrapped the felt tape onto both sides.

The pdf manual is formatted for standard 8-1/2" by 11" size.

#6998 5 years ago

Installed Kraken Tiltgraphics side art blades today. I've installed art blades in numerous machines so can speak with some experience. JJPOTC is challenging and very tight between the playfield and cabinet. Highly recommend using the wet method for installing them. Also, one of the inner backbox hinge nuts was flared out along the edge and did not want to come out. Finally got it out, but as it came out it damage the inside formica on the wood. Luckily the side art and the hinge nut itself will hide the damage, but still very frustrating. Ended up having to dremel off the flared edge of the nut when I reinstalled it. I also recommend that one does not install art blades on JJPOTC without the Pinball Universe sideart protectors sold by PinballLife. Any movement up/down of the playfield will rub and damage the sideart without the protectors.

IMG_6684 (resized).JPGIMG_6684 (resized).JPGIMG_6685 (resized).JPGIMG_6685 (resized).JPG
#7021 5 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

If I have understood correctly, the hinge bolt in the POTC is flared and difficult to remove. If anyone has pics on how to do this properly, please share! (I need to carry this downstairs and I am planning on doing it in three pieces: backbox, playfield and cabinet)

Interesting part is only one nut was flared and very difficult to remove. The other one was straight and slid in/out nicely......doesn't make sense.

In your situation, it's not an issue. The nut can stay in place, as you use the allen wrench to turn the nut the bolt will back out of the hinge for removal, allowing you to keep the nut in place. Once the bolt is out the hinge is no longer attached to the cabinet

#7438 5 years ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

I've been getting way too many SDTM's from the chapter select. We even just got three in a row. It sucks to STDM from something you can't control. Is there a fix for this?

Quoted from GnarLee:

Ya personally I feel like there should be a ball save at chapter select...been punished way to many times from the off chance ball hits nothing on way down.

I've run into the same issue. Usually giving the pin a slight nudge just about the time it's due to be released makes it easier for the magnet in the Star Map to prevent it from going SDTM, especially doing a double flipper button press at the same time which will start the mode.

1 week later
#7975 4 years ago
Quoted from rs812:

Why not trim back the shield?

Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

You beat me to the question. I have the cannon mod in place and a shield on the way. Going to look into this option.

Same here, mine is on it's way as well and I have the cannon mod. While the zaphX's wire loom serves a purpose to stop the ball from getting stuck there, preventing the switch wiring from getting hit by cannon rebounds is desirable as well.

1 week later
#8417 4 years ago

FYI: My JJPOTC LE is back up for sale, as the original buyer has decided to back out after the playfield glass mishap. Here is the ad:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/78542

If you are looking for a extremely nice HUO LE with all the right mods, fully sorted, many extras, then let's talk. PM me here on Pinside if interested....

#8421 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Apron fixed with a new sticker (which are cheap), and you're already including the backup plastics for the slings. The playfield damage doesn't concern me a bit.
Looks like a good opportunity for someone who missed the LE boat!

I actually also have 2 sets of apron stickers as well in the set of playfield decals included in the sale.....

#8428 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Game looks Awesome and the new owner will be Very happy. Curious... It looks like your LE Plaque is blacked out? Is that something you did or is that how some games came?

Good eye......the aluminum stuck out to compared to the rest of the pin's look. Took it off and repainted with some hammered black to blend in, but still be readable. If the next owner doesn't like it it can easily be removed with a sanding pad.

#8446 4 years ago
Quoted from Breger1:

where did you get the Jack the Sparrow Barrel figure mod?

I made it from a Neca Series 2 Jack Sparrow Action figure I bought off of eBay. There are several others who have done the same and posted some guides here earlier in this thread.

#8630 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Sorry. What exactly is "HSTD"?

High Score to Date

#8642 4 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

@pinball_keefer would it be possible to hold the tilt bonus lost screen longer to rub it in? And for me to get a picture of it in the competition to get the highest bonus lost.

...or even better: make it like a HSTD to track, so everyone can later see the biggest bonus loser!!

#8765 4 years ago
Quoted from Maide:

If anyone has any tips for adjusting the backboard monitor, I didn't see that one in the troubleshooting/tech tips thread. The right side is slightly lower than the left, and looks funny when the backglass is on.

Common issues, solutions are threefold and have all been covered in this thread (shown in order to be attempted in):

1) adjust the mounting bolts and verify that the monitor is snapping in to place correctly into the mounting brackets

2) monitor mount is defective and a replacement is needed from JJP

3) make your own support wedges like I did and let the monitor rest level on those (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/108#post-4876871)

#8768 4 years ago
Quoted from tatapolus:

Wait…. there's an update from April 23???? Why didn't anybody tell me this??? How did I miss that?

Well, it's not like the JJPOTC's Lead Developer came on here and announced the update......oh....wait....nevermind.....

#8802 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Aw crap, that's going to suck. I am also wondering why there is a plastic cover over the starmap?

It's there to stop a missed cannon shot from bouncing into the Star Map and qualifying it by accident.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

29,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aukraut.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club?tu=aukraut and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.