(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,885 posts
  • 633 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Buzzie
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pirates2 (resized).jpg
IMG_2296 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2297 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2298 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2299 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2301 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2300 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240330_165232 (resized).jpg
POTC_Mods_annotated (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 12.02.54 PM (resized).png
17117301082711484468150429261795 (resized).jpg
20240329_160033 (resized).jpg
431321214_1110342276953195_8816628931148154685_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #222 Liar's Dice rules explained! Posted by goren1818 (5 years ago)

Post #644 Rules flow chart Posted by Rbviessman (5 years ago)

Post #1021 How to fix black pearl lamps Posted by Yelobird (5 years ago)

Post #1360 Black Pearl flippers are uneven when in upper position - Fix Posted by evh347 (5 years ago)

Post #2468 Hardware fix for balls getting hung up during multiball. Posted by Pinballpal (5 years ago)

Post #2892 Adjustment for auto plunger not hitting balls cleanly or correctly Posted by Pinballpal (5 years ago)

Post #3974 Deadflip stream from Valentine’s Day 2019. Posted by Tuna_Delight (5 years ago)

Post #4014 POTC trouble shooting guide Posted by zaphX (5 years ago)

Post #4856 Possibly let distributor go through machine and get it tuned in. Posted by dgposter (5 years ago)

Post #6315 Fix for dauntless positioning, canon shots not landing Posted by Yelobird (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider anathematize.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1001 5 years ago

loving this game so far. such a deep experience and i feel like i've barely scratched the surface.

i've also noticed 'unfair' drains from the chapter select post drop and the tortuga mystery kickout that seem to get worse the longer the game is played. takes some serious nudging to avoid them sometimes. just wish it was consistent.

#1009 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

This must be a setting issue?? Long ago they fixed this with software where after the ball rests on the post before the post lowers it pulses the ball up several times so it doesn't just roll to outlane drain. Rather clever fix I must say. I have not had an issue with this.

yea the pulse works about 90% of the time on the machine i've been playing. the SDTM drain only happens occasionally but its maddening when it does. as mentioned a simple 2 second ballsave would completely alleviate the issue.

the tortuga kickback issue is more prevalent in my experience. i'm not sure if its just a matter of the coil getting weak after getting played a bunch but once it starts happening its pretty much a 100% chance of a drain out of the kickback unless you nudge the machine right as the kickback is happening. i've seen a bunch of casual players just toss their hands up and call it 'cheap' after draining this way. seems like it could be fixed easily with another 2 second ball save or possibly toning down the kickback strength so the ball just falls to the right flipper.

#1040 5 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

The Wizard Modes are very difficult, I think I have only completed one of them a couple of times at most. Got close a few other times, but they certainly are intense single ball experiences that are very challenging.

cripes. not a single wizard mode has been reached on the machine i'm playing on location. granted its not getting a work out like it would if it was at the club but just getting to those modes seems so difficult unless you pick tia and just tunnel focus a color. and even that is a major accomplishment imo.

i'm a little miffed that there isn't a minor wizard mode from reaching all the multiballs but i suppose that isn't exactly the toughest thing for a good player.

on the upside, i've finally managed to figure out a perfect nudge/timing to completely make the tortuga kickout a non-issue. so that certainly helped my last series of games! had my best at ~1.3 billion. obviously still a LONG ways to go.

#1136 5 years ago
Quoted from GrandFireball1:

Has anyone had trouble making the chest lock shot? My game is slightly steeper than factory pitch, but only very rarely will the ball make it into the chest lock. The flipper power is higher on both (Left-24, Right-30) but the lock is still super hard. Is there a physical adjustment to the forks that doesn’t require taking the whole thing apart?
Another issue I am having is the Bonus animations are gone. It happened in the middle of a game last night where during the bonus, the screen background was dark and it just had the text of my bonus. I tried again this morning after leaving it off, and same thing, no animations in bonus. Is this some sort of bug?

i've noticed that shot being extremely tough on the machine i've been playing (in public, not home use). definitely have to give the machine a little forward nudge to get the ball up into the lock when shooting from the right flipper.

#1201 5 years ago
Quoted from AdamTheHutt:

I got my game today, the mini LCD on the apron was upside down out of the box. we fixed
that easily.
Question for any owners when the game takes your picture is there a way to see it later on? When I view the high scores from the day or previous days it just shows our names how do I see the picture again? Or is it only at the time of entering your initials?

if you keep hitting a flipper when not playing the game the menus should eventually get to a page that has several wanted poster photos that detail all of the top scores, scores of the day, individual character scores and other misc 'high scores.'

#1256 5 years ago
Quoted from pickleric:

#57 LE just landed! Beautiful game. Having a little bit of trouble with the gold collection button binding when the lockbar is tight. Any tips on best way to go about adjusting the button?
[quoted image]

there are several 'solutions' in the thread already but i'm not sure if any of them are 100% effective.

amazing how something that should be so simple is causing so many issues. i can't recall ever having an issue with the action button on any of the stern machines.

#1427 5 years ago

Finally feel like i'm understanding this game after probably putting in 100+ games and I STILL feel like I haven't seen close to everything. Mostly still focusing on stacking MB's and multipliers and bringing in as many chapters as I can with everything rolling. Add a tortuga multiball on top of it all and its crazy fun. Pretty much every shot is good to go. The bonus multiplier is sneaky good on this game. I think I saw a 300,000+ bonus on a ball today.

I think I ended up having a ~10-15min first ball using this 'strategy' and put up a decent GC for our location.

IMG_2513 (resized).JPGIMG_2513 (resized).JPG

On the downside... the cannon shot into the Dauntless is pretty much not working. I think I've made the shot into the ship 1 or 2 times in all of my games and everybody else I've talked to is convinced its just broken. Guessing its an alignment issue. But it definitely makes the Black Pearl part of the game much more tricky.

#1605 5 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

Got early access to the new .98 code and will be streaming it tonight! 8 p.m. Eastern at http://www.twitch.tv/buffalopinball

very interested to see this!

any 'patch notes' come with it?

#1637 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Movie 4: on stranger tides - shoot upper flipper inner loops
Jackpot = no idea - upper loops???
Super jackpot = not sure - map award hole???

I think this one is the toughest to get. Especially with any other MB's going

From the manual:

-Shoot inner loop for a Jackpot

-Shoot through the chest then around the inner loop for a Double Jackpot

-Shoot the right orbit and then around the inner loop for a Triple Jackpot

-If you collect all three Jackpots... shoot the inner loop again and the up-post will capture the ball and if you hit the up-post with the other ball and 'newton' the captive ball back around the inner loop you will be awarded a Super Jackpot.

#1713 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Btw all the modes I've seen are shoot X X X shot. Are they all like this with just a varying amount of shots or is there more variety like Hobbit?

that seems to be the extent of all the modes. i'm hoping via code updates they can add some more varied objectives. plenty of targets on the game to leverage.

#1769 5 years ago

yikes. machine was having some serious display drop-outs tonight while playing. full blown black screen 'searching for source' type of stuff. i'm guessing there is a connection that is loose. anybody else seeing this?

#1849 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I'm really getting into the code and things are making sense but sometimes I get in the upper pf and it's like I've already qualified the sails but didn't do anything
Best upper pf in the game. Period.

I feel like this happens to me sometimes too. The Black Pearl skill shot will advance things one step but it does seem like there are times where the game 'spots' you a step when accessing the ship during normal gameplay (not via the ramp though). Code/rules are so deep in this game I'm guessing there is something that triggers it that I'm not paying attention to.

Or it could just be a bug I suppose!

1 week later
#2389 5 years ago

Best I've managed over the break and on the new code. That guy who has 13+ million on the other page must have had an INSANE game that went on forever.

Pretty sure I was playing for 30ish minutes on this one. I think the key was a well timed Arrrr Frenzy and a Super X on the playfield. Still haven't made a 666666 mode yet.
IMG_2549 (resized).JPGIMG_2549 (resized).JPG

#2394 5 years ago
Quoted from arcadem:

Was this on a 3 ball or 5 ball game? Makes a difference....

true. i always assume everybody just plays 3 ball usually. with the way this game gives out extra balls on a long game sometimes a 3 ball game seems to play more like a 5 or 6 or 7 ball game haha.

#2427 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Anyone know how to earn extra balls? I think it says constellations but how do you earn those? Or are those the shots where symbols are shiwn

There are a couple ways from what I can gather.

- Complete Constellation shots. I believe the easiest way to show these is hitting the "Jack/starmap" shot and the current constellation shot will flash white.

- Light Extra Ball will be a PIRATE outlane reward after completing several rounds of PIRATE rewards.

- Light/Collect Extra Ball also seem to be available via random Tortuga Mystery and Spinning Map rewards.

I can't think of another method but I wouldn't doubt there are other triggers for an extra ball.

#2514 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I keep finding more layers and nuance. Tonight I realized how important the PIRATE inlane awards are, and how ARRR frenzy can really blow up a score coupled with multiballs.

Arrr Frenzy is definitely the secret MVP if you are looking for high scores. Combine it with multiball(s), a playfield X and some serious spinner action and the scores just BLOW UP!

#2521 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I second this question and add, what/where is “Super X?”

Super X is the playfield X bonus. Awarded via PIRATE outlane reward after hitting the little bonus X standup targets next to the ramps (target depending on the value that is available). It can also be awarded via Tortuga or Map mystery award.

IMO its the #1 key factor into putting up a good scoring game.

#2568 5 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

If they can add a ball save option for tortuga drains I would appreciate it. I can't count how many times the ball kicks out and drains. I have tried all of the coil power settings, the coil strength is unreliable, sometimes kicks hard, other times soft.

Tortuga kick out is pretty inconsistent on the machine I play on too. Not that its the most elegant solution but I've found a quick forward nudge on the machine when the ball kicks out is enough to never worry about it draining.

Quoted from dnaman:

The double flipper at the end of the chapter selection works well to kick the ball up with the magnet but occasionally can drain as well.

I can agree on this one. Its usually when the ball exits cleanly without bumping a post on the way out of the starfield/jack area. On the upside its usually pretty easy to spot when its about to happen so a little lateral nudge on the machine is usually more than enough to prevent a straight drain or kick it into the GOLD target area.

Quoted from dnaman:

There are also times when the ball flies off of the pearl over the left sided gate, SDTM.

Hundreds of games so far and I can't say I've ever seen this one.

Quoted from dnaman:

Has anyone experienced a ball drain on the left outlane when the ball goes up past the left flipper, hits the gate and goes under the gate, only to drain from the left outlane drain?
Wow, that was draining...

Another one I haven't seen but I've had it happen to me on Indiana Jones and its BEYOND infuriating.

1 week later
#2805 5 years ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

Has anyone put there multiball setting harder? It easy to start the multiballs and in fact, you have to play them only once to get to the wizard mode.
With the easy factory settings POTC turns into a endless multiball game. And that’s not a good thing.

I mean... yea you have to play them once. But you also have to go through all of the Chapters before the wizard mode gets activated. Which I've found is the hardest part (for me at least - but I rarely pick Tia as my character).

I kind of enjoy the fact that there is so much multiball madness going on in this game. I've had tons of people come up and watch while I'm playing because they get sucked in by seeing 4+ balls flying around the playfield for long stretches of time. And most comment after I drain on how fun the game looks.

Maybe its too easy and not 'skillful' enough for 'pro level' type of players. But I'm sure there will be some tournament-type settings that become standardized to take away some of the randomness, plundering and easy multiballs.

#2821 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

The only thing I wish I could focus more on is the chapters. I feel like the random system makes is a little frustrating to advance in them unless you pick that one character. The game is so large that you almost always end up shooting a chapter shot so you're qualifying almost all and the likelihood you get the same one 5 times becomes a game of you intentionally NOT trying to hit shots. Again - I understand you can pick that one character to select chapters and thank god for that BUT I wonder if a game code could help this out. In fact the chapters in general are my biggest weakness right now as I feel like they aren't special enough. I love the chimes that plan when you see the shots you need to hit and i like the movie clips - I just wish they were longer and they stood out more. They don't feel as special as I think they could - like they are too generic right now.

i've also been feeling a bit similar to this. i know Tia is available to alleviate the selection process but I have way too much fun just playing Blackbeard games. i know its possible to stack up some good values focusing on chapters but it seems much more exciting going for big scores via stacking multiballs. really the best 'mode based' games i've played usually result because i'm getting chapters going with the multiballs going and the shots just happen naturally.

i'm hoping with some code updates they can add some more dynamic modes a'la The Hobbit (the moving targets, shot progression type of modes, etc). maybe a little score balancing between chapters and multiballs too.

#2880 5 years ago
Quoted from Hogbog:

POTC is in the tournament lineup at INDISC! Check out the modifications to the game that Karl implemented to make it a bit more challenging...
https://www.neverdrains.com//2019/playerIndex.php?disp=game&sel=Main&game=105
Lightning flippers, no outline posts, and some software difficulty increases!

Interesting changes. I figured something would be done about plundering, liars dice and the character selection process. but maybe they are doing 1 player games? other thoughts...

Lightning Flippers
oh god no.

Tilt set to PER BALL
YES. this should be a default setting

Virtual locks on
what are virtual locks? does this refer to the chest not actually keeping the balls inside until multiball?

Increased Dead Men Tell No Tales Multiball Progress
Increased Nine Pieces of Eight Shot Difficulty (At World's End)
Increased On Stranger Tides Difficulty
totally agree with these. it would likely be way too easy to get these rolling for tournament-skill players.

#2939 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Five but be forewarned you can’t use silver jets. They magnetize.

granted i only play on location but...

it sure seems like this game has more than 5 balls. i swear i've seen more than that in stacked multiballs but i suppose that could just be my mind/eyes playing tricks on me.

#2942 5 years ago

amazing! i guess once 4+ get out on the playfield it all starts to turn into a blur.

#2946 5 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Sounds like the ship is supposed to move left AND right.

it definitely should move right enough to roll a ball overboard from the deck of the ship.

#2960 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

The tortuga VUK is making me want to not play my game lol. The constantly changing strength at which it kicks the ball out is very frustrating, and often kicks SDTM with nothing you can do. I have tightened the scoop screws, but that didn't fix it, and they tend to constantly loosen up again anyways even with some loctite on them. I feel like nut and bolt was the correct call on that scoop here, and the wood screws are a bad call. But, again, that's not really the issue here anyways.
Anyone found a way to fix this frustrating VUK?

i noticed the machine i play on would have coil strength issues after playing a few games in a row. like you said... the strength of the kick back would really start to get variable.

after a little trial and error and i've found that a simple nudge forward while the lights are flashing to indicate the kick back is coming is enough to tame a bit of the randomness and usually deliver the ball to your right flipper or right inlane(s). once you get the timing down you'll rarely see a SDTM again from this VUK.

yes. i realize its not the most elegant solution nor does it solve any issues you might be having with your coil. but its simple and works until a more concrete solution is found.

#3001 5 years ago
Quoted from wheels:

Had my best game yet. At one point, I think the monitor said "66666" or something close to that. I think I had all of the multiballs going at the same time. Anyone know what that was? Whatever was happening, it was fun! The lights, sounds, and call-outs were going crazy. What a great game!

666666 mode happens when you have all 5 of the story multiball's running with a tortuga multiball on top of it (for 6 total multiballs).

i've only managed it a few times in hundreds of games. very nice scoring opportunities when you get all of that rolling!

#3007 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

is the 666666 mode some sort of hidden thing from there Pirates series?
Don’t recall ever seeing it but there is always something you miss.

I haven't managed to find a reference to it from the movies but its been quite some time since I actually watched any of them with rapt attention.

I kind of assumed it was just a cheeky little addition/easter egg for something that rarely happens during 'normal' gameplay.

#3013 5 years ago

Seems its a bit of a 'hidden mode' too because I'm not seeing anything regarding 666666 mode in the instruction .pdf.

does anybody know if getting there actually does anything besides the screen animation (and possibly additional audio)? is there an extra multiplier or additional jackpots/rewards?

Hogbog ?

#3015 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

I’ve gotten this several times and when I do my scores seem significantly higher than even just a 5 Multiball. But yea get all 6 going and it flashes rainbow colored 6’s across the screen. Hopefully someone can tell us if it adds a bonus of some kind, but it at least feels like it does.

yea it definitely results in some high scores but i can't tell if thats just a result of 'getting there' in the first place.

actually having all 6 multiballs rolling - likely with a stack of bonuses, skull bonuses, pirate rewards, map rewards, etc - is pretty much the holy grail of scoring on the game so its pretty natural that you'll really be blowing the game up at that point. extra bonus or not.

its pretty difficult at that point to pay attention to the screen. so i'm pretty much in the dark as well. hopefully one of the jjp guys can shed some light

#3025 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Given that free games are meaningless, what are people doing for special to make it competitive/fair? I want my scores to remain meaningful.

Loving the 'free games' on location!

If I had one at home and was playing for 'pure high scores' I'd probably just turn Specials off in addition to removing plundering and Liars Dice. Seems like some seriously random bonuses can be gained from all of the above.

#3042 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I would agree on the Specials but not on the Plundering and Liars dice. Plundering is a Great new feature and always makes things more fun playing with others. As for Liars Dice, unless you pick that captain you rarely actually get it anyway so not really a play distraction in any way. Just Love what they did with every aspect of code and play on this game.

i guess i'm just thinking from a 'purely competitive' aspect where the goal is to remove as much randomness as possible. plundering is GREAT for casual multiplayer games. but its almost been an unspoken rule or gentelmans agreement on our local game that if you are in relatively 'competitive play'... you pass on the plundering every time. but in a casual game with friend... its pirates the whole way down!

liars dice is a little less of an issue but i know i've seen rewards from that in the several hundred thousand point values (values that could make or break a game). whereas other times its just extra tilts, extra treasures, etc. so thats another one that we have just started passing on in games 'that matter' - even though they really all don't matter. its just pinball!

i'm sure eventually there will be an accepted 'competitive play' setting with the code on this game and we'll probably just start playing that way when pride, ego, and 'loser buys the next round' are on the line.

#3067 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

You don't have to Pass on Plundering nor do you have to play with gentleman to have an agreement. You simply agree to shut off that feature as Keefer designed it. They understood when creating the game it had to have the ability to be tournament rules compliant. Still say for the 99% that don't play competitively and just to have fun with friends the plunder adds a Completely new and Fun perspective on playing. Love it!

i'm playing mostly on location. we don't really have the option to set the rules to tournament settings whenever we feel like it. so - unfortunately - we have to use archaic methods like the old-fashioned gentelman's agreement... in a game about pirating lol!

#3199 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Gameplay questions!
1. What does “spot gold” on the Pearl do, exactly?
2. What do the MAP targets do in relation to the spinner and activating the map hole award? I haven’t figured this out.
3. Is there benefit/effect from hitting all 4 GOLD targets?

1. still haven't figured that one out myself.
2. map targets need to be hit before the map award is lit. i'm not sure if the map targets do anything to the spinner itself
3. the only benefit i've noticed to hitting all 4 gold targets is the ability to add-a-ball during Tortuga multiball.

#3215 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Anyone care to comment on how this is for weaker players?

I think its a pretty good game for weaker players honestly. Yes the rules are super deep but there are some very straight forward things to focus on that result in very fun games. Mostly the multiballs. IMO they are relatively easy to qualify and get going once you understand them. Most of the shots in the game are fair and the ball times tend to be long. Plus you have little things like character selection, plundering and liars dice that can add a dimension of interaction between players that most games just don't have.

I'll fully agree that blowing the machine up takes some pretty deep knowledge of the rules and how to stack MB's, modes, multipliers, etc. But I don't think weaker players will have a bad time with the game whatsoever. Lots of room to learn and grow on a machine like this which makes it perfect for home use.

#3245 5 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

Q: Is there a stream regarding the rules? tutorial on game play.
Tried a search on youtube, but didn't seem to find one.

i haven't found an out-and-out tutorial a'la PAPA or anything like that. Or anything that gets really deep into the rules, stacking strategies, wizard modes, etc.

I think Buffalo Pinball has a "Bro do you even pinball" stream where they do a higher overview of the rules before playing. And some of Kevin's streams of POTC from his house have some rules discussion but not as straight forward as a proper tutorial.

#3263 5 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

ok, i haven't been following the disc thing, so 3 was dropped to a single?
good or bad?

play-wise... i think the single disc probably affects the ball much more than the triple disc. so that might be a change that was for the better.

it is kind of a bummer that you don't get to see your map mystery rewards line up with the triple disc on the playfield but its a pretty minor loss in my mind.

#3317 5 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

How do you find ball times?
Anything like lotr, longer, shorter.

for me its the longest ball time game i've played. very similar to the LOTR/Hobbit imo - especially once you get the shots/saves dialed in.

not a scientific observation but i've noticed on games where i'm putting up decent scores (1-2 million plus) the games can easily run over ~15 minutes - if not much longer. i'm sure if the game was in my house it would suffer from the same issue that LOTR/Hobbit has for some people - its just daunting to start over from the beginning once you've had an epic game.

#3321 5 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

ok, thanks for the feedback.
going to see if there is one anywhere local to give it a go.

i should follow up with the fact that i LOVE the game. the shots are absolutely amazing. the game has both great flow and stop-and-go type of play with insanely deep code that is likely only going to get better.

also the game that i'm playing is definitely not setup absolutely brutal so that may contribute to some of the longer ball times - but i don't mind. makes for a cheaper night out at the brewery

#3378 5 years ago
Quoted from skyrex:

Just hope they come out with more themes I like. lol

Congrats. Nice add to the game room.

Guessing you and the fam enjoy Toy Story with the Disney passes...

...If only there was a certain New Jersey based pinball manufacturer contemplating a Toy Story themed machine.

#3384 5 years ago
Quoted from Hogbog:

I guess I'll have to bring him a box of chocolates!
[quoted image]

Very cool! Looking forward to hearing some rule/strategy talk on the newest code.

I kinda wondered if Jack was discouraged from playing machines from other companies these days now that he's kind of the 'face' of Stern but it looks like that isn't the case.

#3393 5 years ago
Quoted from kse001:

Very nice, though as an LE owner I still think it's ridiculous that a $9,500 price tag didn't include one too.

yikes! that seems like a bit of dirty play. for $9500 the damn manual should come leather bound printed on rare parchment.

#3397 5 years ago
Quoted from PiperPinball:

Its $100 for the manual. Just ordered one from JJP.

Yowza. Seems like it would be easier to just print off the PDF and have it spiral bound at a Kinkos.

#3477 5 years ago
Quoted from NickBuffaloPinball:

Rule suggestion: Governor Swan is useless in single player games and not a terribly compelling choice in multiplayer (IMHO). To make him a viable choice, in addition to his prevent plundering "power", perhaps also add that you start the game with a ball saver? It fits the theme of him "being a protector".

i agree with you on this. some of the characters could definitely use another round of balancing. having a ball save with swan would be a great choice for single player games and wouldn't be too overpowered in competitive play.

the real elephant in the room is blackbeard IMO. in the hands of a decent player he's far-and-away the best choice for going for high scores. probably a game breaking choice in a tournament. i have a feeling his ball save timer will be toned down a bit if the other characters don’t get some significant buffs or have their negative traits removed.

2 weeks later
#4433 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

What qualifies multi ball starts? I had a game last night that I was starting mb after mb after mb ...
Seems a bit too easy to start them

obviously each one has a different way to qualify. the manual has more in-depth descriptions but here is my quick and dirty rundown.

-----

purple = rip the devils triangle spinner a few times to qualify. shoot into the top of the devils triangle to start

red = shoot the 9 red arrow 'main shots' on the playfield. start with the maelstrom shot

yellow = sink the dauntless or hit it 3 times with the cannon. start at port royale. this can also be instantly qualified by hitting the BP skill shot when the 'load canon' arrow is lit. definitely the easiest way to qualify this mb.

green = hit the standups next to the chest to prime the lock. lock 3 balls and the mb starts

blue = 5 individual orbits through the fountain of youth qualify. start the mb with another orbit shot.

tortuga = collect gold (50, 100, etc) and cash in at the tortuga scoop.

666666 = have all 6 mb's running at the same time for a special jackpot (this is where scores start to blow up)

-----

i feel like stacking multiballs on top of chapters is kind of how they designed this game to be played. in some of my better games i'll have times when i've been in multiball for what feels like 10 minutes straight but i'm still hitting chapter shots and advancing towards wizard modes AND hitting shots that qualify another multiball to stack on top of current ones. i think this game has single-handedly increased my 'gain control and make the right shots during multiball' skills more than any other game i've played to date.

but i'll agree that they probably could have made some of them a tiny bit harder to qualify/start after the first time around.

nice thing about this game is that the code isn't in final form. still plenty of stuff to get balanced.

2 weeks later
#5642 5 years ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

I feel like every time I'm trying to complete a chapter a multi-ball starts. I can usually complete 'a' chapter during a multi ball, but can't really string them together.
Disclaimer: Should have said "feels like 45 minute games". I've never actually timed it.

On the upside.... you don't need to complete any of the chapters to qualify the wizard modes. And you can start more chapters during multi-ball.

All the times I've played the wizard modes its been a result of stacked multi-balls and just always making sure to have a chapter running when the previous one times out or I complete it - regardless of what 'color' it is. Getting a chapter running is more important that some of the Jackpot shots imo. Eventually you'll see that one of your 'colors' is close to being qualified for a wizard mode and then you can laser focus on it during single-ball play.

Or you can just go Tia and try to keep the multi-balls to a minimum (picking chapters with her during MB is another skill in itself) but I never seem to have as much fun playing this game that way.

#5744 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I wonder if we will hear about new code next week with the Texas Pinball Festival being held next weekend? A month ago on a Dead Flip Pirates stream Keith mentioned they were getting closer to a 1.0 release.

yea i have to think that TPF is where the next version of the code comes out. i can't recall anything from the Dead Flip stream that stood out as a major change in the code but its been awhile since i watched it.

i'm guessing we'll finally have the final wizard mode, some MB adjustments and likely some character balancing.

#5768 5 years ago
Quoted from Ben41:

Hello to all pirates Owners,
did anybody play the final wizard mode yet ?
i played all 5 mini wizard modes after you played them you have to play all the multiballs again ... so far not a big deal ... except the CHEST MULITBALL
u cant activate the chest lock any more ... has anybody an idea ? JJP ? what says the code ? BUG ?
and is it ment to be that u can combine the yellow wizard mode with the Tortuga Multiball ? cause its possible ... did anybody else combine another wizard mode with the tortuge MB ?
and how is it possible to increase the SUPER X multiplicator in the lower left corner on the mainscreen ?
hope to get a few answers

- Final wizard mode isn't in the game.

- All multiballs can be combined/stacked. Tortuga can stack on wizard modes

- Super X/playfield X is increased via mystery rewards and PIRATE lane rollovers.

#5793 5 years ago

Played in a tournament yesterday and it was the first I've played with Pirates in the lineup and it ended up being played twice by the groups I was in.

Honestly it wasn't even really fair for the other people that I was playing against. The character selection just seems to be way too gamebreaking for an experienced player vs. somebody who isn't as familiar with the game. I can only compare it to something like the shot multipliers on Star Wars.

Picked Blackbeard both games and easily put up well over a million while other players were struggling to break 100,000k. And some of these players are vastly better pinball players that I am.

Does this game have a 'tournament setting' in the operators menu? If not, are there any plans to put something in with the 1.0 code? I know its possible to tweak everything to a persons liking but it would be nice to see an official setting from JJP/Eric.

A few simple things that would be nice to see for tournaments.

- Plundering needs to be gone - its easy enough to just skip it, but it ends up wasting a mystery reward

- The same character should be available for everybody to pick

- Character's negative traits should be shown on the character selection screen (some of the guys i was playing with didn't even realize that some of the characters have negative traits)

- Multiball starts and re-starts need to be made dramatically more difficult and possibly remove the ability to stack

Anyways. Just some random thoughts I had while playing yesterday.

Anybody else played Pirates in a tournament setting yet?

#5807 5 years ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

I dont see how the characters really affect scoring in such a big way , as some describe. I always pick the lowest scored character, and have only had real trouble bringing tia dalma and becket over the million.
The negative aspects of characters would be nice on display though.
And for such a multiball heavy game, the scoring seems balanced enough, no ? For me there’s no real crazy up and down scores anymore [quoted image]

most of them are relatively balanced. Blackbeard is the glaring outlier. his trait combined with no negative trait in a such a multiball heavy game is just crazy powerful in the hands of the right player.

this is anecdotal and obviously each game plays different but on the machine I'm playing on not a single one of those scores in your photo would be close to the top 10. on our game #10 starts at 3.8 million and GC is near 5 million. every single high score is a Blackbeard game. the other characters don't even come close.

#5811 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I suggested this a long time ago but will reiterate. I think Blackbeard should have a negative that whenever the ball saver is active, all scoring is 1/2.

that is definitely a good start but in my experience it might not even be enough.

i've been thinking that 1/2 scoring throughout ALL multiballs might bring him more in line. and it pains me to even suggest that because i do love blowing the game up with a good Blackbeard game.

i'm definitely interested in the 1.0 code and what balance changes they are going to make.

Quoted from iepinball:

I'll give all of you Blackbeard, any day. Yes, the added ballsaver is nice but not enough of a scoring benefit to select all of the time.

the leaderboard on the game that i play that completely disagrees with this.

are you regularly putting up 3+ million games on random select characters? because i can almost always get to that point in a decent Blackbeard game (we all have bad games).

#5814 5 years ago
Quoted from iepinball:

Yes. Bottom of the leaderboard on my game I believe is over 5 million with a wide variety of characters.

fair enough. maybe its just easier to get there with Blackbeard and i need to invest more time in the other characters and figuring out how to exploit their traits.

but for a tournament... i'm still going Blackbeard or bust.

#5825 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I'm LOVING this game.
Does anyone else jump from POTC to another game and think, gosh these other games are lame. haha.
I did that with a few of mine this weekend. I'm looking at you TOM.
This game is just miles above my others.

to be fair... compared to a 90's williams game - especially one with extremely shallow code like Theater - seems like an apples to oranges comparison in my mind.

Iron Maiden is the only other game that seems to hold my attention more than Pirates. and mostly because Pirates can suffer from the 'long game' fatigue. hobbit and LOTR are the same way for me.

but i will say... Pirates is quite possibly the best home-use pin ever made.

#5831 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Complaints about long ball times always puzzle me. Isn’t it fun to play? Why would you want a shorter experience if you’re having fun?

its not the 'long game' itself. its when the 'long game' ends and you look back at the machine and realize how much work you are going to have to go through to get back to the point you were just at. i've had MANY 30+ minute games on Pirates. after one of those i'm done for a day or two.

games like Pirates can lack that 'just one more game' feeling people like with pinball machines.

i've noticed that most home collectors tend to have a few of each kind of machine because of this very reason. ymmv.

#5833 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I also never understand the complaints that JJP hasn't finished the Grand Wizard mode code. Really? You play that good great every game that the experience is ruined because they are fine tuning the final chapter? Who cares if the book isn't finished as long as they are committed to finishing it. God knows I will never see the ending and I will admit I have yet to complete more than 1 wizard mode! Confession! lol

i think its because we've seen plenty of machines shipped with incomplete code with a 'just patch it in post' type of mentality from developers... only to see code updates languish and things never get finished. it didn't used to be like this.

granted... JJP has a better track record in this regard - they took the hobbit from an absolute 'long game' borefest into something that, while still a 'long game,' is much more well rounded and fun to play.

but frankly it would serve them well to possibly take another pass at Dialed In and flesh out the modes a bit more. i think Pirates is in the same boat (pardon the pun). some of the chapters would be much more interesting if they were more progressive rather than just putting up all the targets you need to hit at once. think "aces high" in Iron Maiden for a nice example of a progressive mode that unfolds the further you get into it.

with that being said... i'm totally fine waiting as i've only seen 4 of 5 of the chapter wizard modes so there is still some work for me to do before i start complaining about the lack of a "break the curse" wizard mode.

#5842 5 years ago
Quoted from Burley9043:

I think Iron Maiden will be the game of the year. It is a great game, but POTC got my vote.

i've been thinking the same thing. Iron Maiden is an amazing game and Keith's design makes for an unreal tournament game AND a great home game with how deep the code goes and all the late-game wizard modes. just the regular modes alone are a great example of varied and unique design and they help tell the 'story' that fits really well with the theme. zombi yeti art just takes it to the next level. the music might be the only gripe for some people... but Iron Maiden really does make for some good music to play pinball to. if you are a fan of the band its just the cherry on the top.

pirates is definitely a serious contender in my mind and it, along with Iron Maiden, seem light years beyond the other pins up for consideration. one hell of a year for pinball when you have multiple games that can be argued as the game of the year.

#5872 5 years ago
Quoted from djxealot:

I haven't listened to any of this guy's stuff. The only two pinball shows/whatever I watch/listen to with any frequency are SDTM and Buffalo Pinball.

For all the nonsense and drama surrounding him - Kaneda does have some good information in his podcast and its usually worth a listen if you are interested in pinball news. You just have to take some of it with a grain of salt when he goes into his 'shock jock'/hot takes mode. He usually goes against the prevailing grain so it provides a nice counterpoint to SDTM or Buffalo (which I both enjoy too).

#5874 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

I don't care for manufactured drama, so I'll pass.

different strokes. you do you.

#5879 5 years ago
Quoted from djxealot:

lolwut? That is some crazy high school level crap in that thread. How does a hobby like *pinball* have problems like that? Crazy. Hard pass on all of it and everybody involved. I'm extremely confused by all of it. Back to beer and pinball on my PotC.

there are crazy people in every hobby/sport that mankind has ever indulged in, especially when you add any sort of competitive aspect to it.

add the internet to the equation and its dramarama central. such is the world we live in unfortunately. thankfully its easy enough to ignore it and stay above the fray.

#5880 5 years ago
Quoted from anathematize:

there are crazy people in every hobby/sport that mankind has ever indulged in, especially when you add any sort of competitive aspect to it.
add the internet to the equation and its dramarama central. such is the world we live in unfortunately. thankfully its easy enough to ignore it and stay above the fray.

#6151 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Theres more Stern owners out there and fans so that's why I think Deadpool won best callouts and Iron Maiden won best rules (lol) and GOTY.
One issue with the TWIPYs is that it can become a popularity contest.

Deadpool winning ANYTHING was a tragedy when IM and POTC were in the running. Pirates definitely should have won callouts with the amazing work that Gibbs did for the game... although I do wish there was a little more humor in some of his dialogue but chalk that up to bad writing.

The rest of the awards shook down pretty much as expected. When you get a game designed by one of the best pinball players of all time the rules and layout are going to be top tier.

#6154 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Not to take anything away from the winners, but I also felt POTC deserved best music and rookie of the year.

Yes. They probably should have won for music... especially if you consider its all original compositions David made for the game. Going forward I do think the award should be for 'Best Original Music' and we can just take the band pins out of the mix. Its not really a level playfield.

Rookie of the Year is a tossup for me. Keith is certainly no rookie to the world of pinball... but it was his first design and holy hell what a design it is. Maybe one of the greatest tournament AND casual games ever created and such a fresh breath into Sterns otherwise stagnate catalog.

Frankly if him and Eric would have cut the TWIPY in half and shared it I don't think anybody could really complain. They both knocked it out of the park and I'm really looking forward to both of their follow up games.

#6157 5 years ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

Deadpool's callouts are high pitched, not funny, and really just annoying. I'm honestly shocked IM didn't win callouts. Both the Demon and the Sorceress on that game are amazing to hear.

yep. i kind of sat in disbelief when Deadpool won that award. I was absolutely sick of the callouts after 10ish games. Juvenile stuff that completely lacks the edgy humor that made Deadpool so funny to so many people. If Ryan Reynolds did the callouts and they let him go R-rated on it... then I can see Deadpool being a contender.

The two voices for Iron Maiden do a fantastic job and they managed to work in some good inside jokes for fans of both pinball and iron maiden.

Getting Gibbs to do the callouts for pirates was a solid pick (unfortunately he's no John Rhys-Davies) and he did a fine job with the material he was given. I just wish they would have written a bit more humor into his dialogue. The Pirates movies are funny and have some great lines and the pinball machine kind of lacks that lighthearted nature.

#6305 5 years ago
Quoted from May:

New owner.
Anyone have an idea?
Somewhere a way to adjust this?
It looks too much.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Woo hoo. Another one with the same issue the POTC I play on has.

Absolutely no clue on how to fix. Its been this way since day one. I think I've managed to score a direct hit on the Dauntless ~3 times in hundreds of games.

At this point I've just moved on to lighting the canon arrow shot on the Black Pearl and then do a skill shot plunge to get the multiball qualified instead of messing around with trying to 'miss' the Dauntless 3x times to qualify multiball. Not the most elegant solution but it works.

#6468 5 years ago
Quoted from cheshirefilms:

One bedroom apt, no problem. Just joined the club!
[quoted image]

in the same room as the bed?

on another note... how is the noise for your neighbors? i've always been hesitant to bring a machine into my condo because I don't want to be 'that guy.'

#6524 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Thanks for that. I'll do it right away. We should probably start a jjPotC troubleshooting/solutions thread and make that post 1 with a portable PDF attached that can be taken along with. There are enough niggly issues with jjPotC it would be nice to have all the solutions and conversation about potential solutions in one place for new owners.

Seems redundant. This thread is - bar none - the best place for solutions to issues with Pirates. I can't think of an issue I've seen that hasn't been covered in this thread so far.

#6528 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Problem is, it's mixed in with general conversation. A dedicated issue thread would be a faster read for new owners.

search function.

#6595 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

What does it mean when you see one of the movie chapter lights flash white real quick?
I also notice that some shot will randomly quickly flash a different color. Does that have anything to do with the star map?

if the 'white flash' happens after hitting the starmap/jack sparrow shot - that is the next constellation you need to collect.

basically the game is giving you a hint if you can't figure it out from the actual starmap itself.

#6649 5 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Wow, that's lot of issues for NIB! I stand by my statement that JJP has serious QC issues.

I think its getting beyond 'serious issues.' Stuff shouldn't be showing up DOA or require a new owner to break out a soldering iron before they can even play their $9000+ toy. Anybody attempting to justifying that as 'well that's just how pinball goes' has lost their gd mind.

I feel bad for the operators of the one we have on location. Its been nothing but a nightmare to support and we still don't have a properly rocking Black Pearl (i think the wiring harness was too tight and just broke) or a canon that can score a direct hit on the dauntless (an issue that looks like its been solved earlier in this thread). The Malestorm diverter has also recently started tossing balls right out of the ramp back onto the playfield if the ball hits it with too much speed. Likely a minor adjustment needed on that one.

2 weeks later
#7588 5 years ago
Quoted from mtp78:

Without looking thru all these posts...Any simple way to follow the rules...I understand shooting the ship strategy and lilting the fuse to shoot the cannon . What's the best thing to shoot for when you start a game... are you seeing how many chapters to start ? and do you have to finsh one chapter before you go to another? There is a lot gong on with this game

first thing i try to do (unless i'm will turner) is plunge the ball into the upper loop area, rip a few loops and then hit into the G.O.L.D. targets. with enough loops you can instantly have a tortuga multiball ready to go.

after that i just start hitting shots that get you towards qualifying multiballs (chest shots, loop shots, spinner shots, main 'red arrow' shots). i usually don't worry too much about the ship right away unless i plunge the skillshot for it. at that point i'll always try to, at least, prime the cannon before my ball drops off the ship.

=and yes... you have to do each chapter individually, you can't stack them. but you can have chapters running during multiballs so that is always a top goal too. basically always have a chapter running if you have the ability, which is pretty easy because the shots you are hitting to qualify multiballs will also qualify chapters.

#7590 5 years ago
Quoted from BlueIrocGuy:

I finally was able to spend some time on Potc this past weekend and really enjoyed it.
Question: what does the 72 light star field do? Does it show specific constellations collected or something, or is it just random lights flashing?
Just trying to decide if an SE is worth it over higher level models.
Thanks

i believe it shows the current constellation that you need to collect which is shown on the video display on the SE.

#7717 5 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

The main thing you lose (that you can't add yourself) is the color changing GI. IMO that is a mood change, but zero gameplay changes I am aware of.

The StarMap is a pretty big loss and I'm not sure that can be added aftermarket.

In some way I guess that could be considered a loss on a gameplay level but its not the most critical thing to lose.

#7758 5 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Does anyone else have consistent issues with the ball flying out of the top of the maelstrom? Seems like even a moderately powerful shot has it flying right out the top. I thought maybe there would be a mod like a netting or even a basic, minimal clear piece to keep the ball in. Maybe the modcouple kraken would do it, I was going to order that anyhow.

This was definitely an issue on the SE that I've played on location. I think a flipper adjustment fixed it because there isn't a kraken mod on the machine.

#8122 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I personally don't have a lot to say gameplay/design wise, and I'm more apt to echo those thoughts on a Black Knight, Oktoberfest or Wonka thread. But hey, that's just me.

Not that it matters really but part of the reason I un-starred and stopped following the thread was the lack of discussion surrounding the actual gameplay and strategy of Pirates and how everything in this thread has just devolved into a redundant problem solving and OCD preventative maintenance thread. There used to be some gameplay talk in here and it was nice to hear from others on their experiences - especially on a game with such dense rules and code.

Granted... I play Pirates on location so frankly I don't care about fixing the game or whatever slew of problems #XXX CE has out of the box. And I fully sympathize with anybody looking for some support when their new $9500 toy isn't working. So I'm glad this thread and the great people that post in here have been able to alleviate some of those issues.

But man - I guess I'm just more interested in hearing about how people are playing the game and some of the deeper exploiting of the game code that can be done with the various characters and their perks. I feel like that kind of discussion might actually help the people at JJP when they are looking at updating the code and balancing things out as best they can.

#8130 5 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Gameplay question! I've played most games using Tia Dalma to try to get to wizard modes, but I'm thinking of trying Ragetti more under the theory that adding a ball can give me longer playing time and therefore a chance to play more chapters. Best way for me to get to wizard modes of course is to get better at shooting, but still... are there any preferences out there for which character to use to have a better chance at wizard modes?

Obviously this is completely anecdotal but I've had the most success attaining wizard modes using multiball focused characters and approaching the early part of my game on starting a multiball and ALWAYS having a Chapter running regardless of the color. And playing extremely safe even if it means timing out a Chapter.

After my first ball I usually look at what Movies have the most Chapters qualified and start focusing more on making that specific shot and then immediately starting the Chapter.

I fully admit that its a bit of a haphazard approach but I have much more success this way as opposed to using Tia Dalma and just picking the Chapters using the interface. I'm sure a more skilled player could take Tia and just run a clinic on the wizard modes with great play that would make me reconsider everything I've just posted. Probably part of the reason I love this pin.

#8131 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Question about your question! I was playing as Ragetti the other day, and didn't manage to get an extra ball once on the Pearl. Are there specific qualifications necessary?

I believe its just a matter of a shot registering on the Black Pearl and then mashing the action button.

#8134 5 years ago

Also for any of you home owners. Somebody STILL hasn't posted a comprehensive character perks/negatives chart or table. Would be much appreciated if somebody could take the time to pick each character, hold down the left flipper and take a quick picture and upload to an imgur album.

Things like Will Turner's 5x skillshot multiplier are crazy good in a competitive setting if you know it ahead of the game. I've had 300,000+ point skill shots with him and in a tournament setting that is a healthy head start and often enough to outright win the game within 30 seconds on ball one.

But that 5x skillshot bonus isn't listed on the character selection screen. Kind of weird that JJP didn't just decide to list them all on the selection interface and instead buried them inside the instant info screen once you have started the game.

#8156 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

SOOO awesome that you made this list Very helpful thanks!! As a double dog challenge, would you consider also adding the Negative attributes that each character carries?

i believe he has the negative traits listed. im surprised that there aren’t more of them to be honest

#8179 5 years ago
Quoted from Schabs81:

I would like it if in code up date they put the negative to each character as well

yeah. it’s confusing to me why they just wouldn’t put everything on the character selection screen. maybe a fear of information overload for newbie players. and they probably aren’t wrong because i see casual players struggling to even figure out how to pick a character - let alone taking the traits/perks into consideration.

honestly pirates is probably a game that could benefit from the ‘advanced mode’ treatment that stern GoT has available.

#8259 5 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

What's the best character to get the highest points, assuming no wizard modes and some multi all stacking?

Blackbeard my man.

Multiball for days.

Quoted from tatapolus:

I just had a crazy game and need to share. On ball one I started a couple multiballs, had x3 Playfield on and started Arrr Frenzy. Then a mystery award gave me 6x playfield. I shot the spinners nicely and got some jackpots from the different multiball. And suddenly I had 6 Millions. Arrr Frenzy alone was over 2 Millions. So much fun. But because I was laughing so much I screwed up the other two balls what a great fun game. But it is quite rare to get 6x playfield right? Normally it takes quite some Pirates award and then you still have to hit the 6x target.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Good game!

6x is definitely hard to get unless its via mystery reward. Combine it with a 6x shot multiplier and you have some serious multiplication going on.

I've had a ~1.5 million Arr Frenzy via a 6x playfield and its still one of my best games yet. It was CRAZY fun watching how fast the scores started ramping up.

#8386 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I'm into Blackbeard lately for longer multiball save time.

finally converted to the dark side.

blackbeard for life my man.

#8464 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

779 gold...
OMG!
I need to play this game more! Haha I have yet to see 100 gold.

once you get that upper orbit dialed in you'll start to see 100 gold on the table from a single hit to the GOLD targets. probably one of the most satisfying shots in the game. good stuff!

#8480 4 years ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

Other than that with factory settings this was my best score after a few games
[quoted image]
Can’t wait to get it home and really learn the rules.

Good lord man. That is a stupid good score!

#8483 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Don't despair, he cheated by setting the tilts to per-ball.

I was going to mention that but even in that case its a pretty amazing score for 'not knowing the rules and things not working 100%'

GG. Time for me to hang it up. LOL.

1 week later
#9142 4 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

This was posted by Keith on Twitter late yesterday. Just thought
I'd share it. Note his comment quoted below...
"This list probably isn't final yet, but why not start getting
angry now?"[quoted image]

That is awesome. Some interesting perks in there that I can't believe they don't list on the character selection screen.

Would have never guessed that Swann can't play Tortuga Multiball or ARRR Frenzy.

#9147 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

How do you get the full character screen again with all
pros/cons (if any)
I thought it was holding the left flipper down but that doesn't
do very well because it just selects the previous character
(naturally).
Also, I hope 1.0 doesn't trigger the flippers when selecting
your character. Completely unnecessary.

you have to pick the character and then hold the left flipper during the actual game to get into the information screen that shows all the plusses and minuses of each character. its very cumbersome when they could have all just been listed on the character selection screen in a little text field or grid of some sorts.

#9156 4 years ago
Quoted from ViperJelly:

Metallica is one of those games I need to play more. I really
don't know the rules outside of sparky multiball. Lots of people
love it though.

its one of those games that gets deeper and better the more you play and understand it. can be brutally fast too!

#9162 4 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Metallica is a fine game, deserving of its spot in the top 10. Pirates is suffering recently from some troll ratings, like the guy that rated it a 2. I can't see how someone played a working example of this game and found it to be only worthy of a 2?

unfortunately if he/she played it on location there is a decent chance it wasn't working 100% as intended.

weather a rating should be based on that is up for debate... but Pirates is definitely a game that needs to be dialed in to be fully enjoyed.

1 week later
#9454 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

“Best” character for focusing on inner loops and hopefully collecting a lot of gold?
Would it just be the character that picks up all the gold with a single press?
Opinions?

I like will turner because of his extra combo time. seems that you can fumble/brick the loop and get another chance to keep the massive gold stack going with him.

maybe some of the other gold focused characters would be decent too like marty or gibbs.

#9465 4 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

yes but your also very rarely missing gold....too many times I let gold expire because I cant get the ball safe and I know as soon as I move a hand ball will go there. Also do 8-10 loops and collect all the gold before ball drains little mini game withing itself. Cutler fixes all that

from my experience that starts to go away the more you play and learn the audio clues and the timer lengths (which are pretty generous to be honest). sometimes its well worth it to sacrifice 5-10-20 gold on the table if the ball is heading into a bad spot. and it starts to get really easy to know how much gold is out on the table simply from the audio clues just because of how well the audio is designed on the game.

beckett is pretty much a 'never pick' at this point in my world. but i'll never discount that he could be utilized effectively in some way. part of the beauty of this game

#9481 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

To score with Tuner, do you hit the loop a bunch then next time around have to put it in the Map hole? I can usually hit 5-7 loops in a row, but have trouble hitting the Map hole while looping.

yep. you have to 'cash in' the loops by hitting the map hole. i've seen skillshots over 500,000 with will so he's a great character if you can dial in those loops. the map hole shot is just a bit earlier on the flipper than you'd normally hit for the loops. it can definitely be a bit tricky when you are in the groove.

#9605 4 years ago
Quoted from Blackzarak:

I'm in the same boat interested in the standard but wondering is there such difference in gameplay and features worth waiting for a LE to pop up. I read theres no RGB on the playfield or star field.
I really dont care about the star field but does the RGB make a difference? Does RGB playfield mean all those changing colors on the arrow indicators will be just white?

I've played the LE but put in way more time on an SE that is out on location and the RGB GI isn't missed in that situation (very good natural lighting).

For home use I think the RGB GI is a much bigger issue.

#9806 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Missing the star map, too.

i think the 'starfield' is in reference to the starmap.

which - honestly - is probably one of the most minimal losses in regards to the other things the LE upgrade has.

#10115 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Any rumors about the upcoming 1.x update?

I feel like its been 4+ months of radio silence on any sort of update for the game and nothing substantial has really been leaked. Unless they put out machines at events with updated code... wasn't the last we really saw of anything the Valentines Day Dead Flip stream? And from what I remember from that there really wasn't anything that stood out as a major change in the game.

it is pretty crazy how long the game has sat at sub 1.0 code considering they 'announced' in what seems like December of last year.

#10133 4 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Uh.... Aside from the code drop a few weeks ago and the chief coder himself dropping juicy bits re awesome new character abilities... Yeah there is radio silence. .
I think you missed a few posts on this thread! Understandable but certainly incorrect info here.

Fair enough. The thread kind of turned into a mixture of "how many more superficial mods can i stuff in my game?"(no offense @yelobird) and "how can i protect my playfield?"versus an actual thread about playing the game itself/strategy/etc so I definitely haven't been keeping up on it as much as I used to.

so a final wizard mode, some character tweaks and some QOL tweaks for operators. is that the rumors we have at this point?

#10159 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Mostly I lost the genetic lottery in terms of family heart disease history and being type 1 diabetic for 32 years which led to a heart attack.[quoted image]

yikes man. sending good vibes in your direction.

love the game so far and can't wait to see what other stuff you have in the works. health is a priority so please don't stress over it.

i mean.... we are all still waiting on ghostbusters code and whatnot lol!

#10234 4 years ago
Quoted from dts:

Here are the numbers, and I got permission:
1000 POTCs were built. 200 CEs, 650 LEs, and 150 Standards.

Amazing. The SE's are the most rare edition of the game LOL.

#10249 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

So is Spiderman home edition. Thunderbirds is SUPER rare. Rarity doesn't equal resale value.

to be fair... neither of those games has LE and CE versions.

regardless i wasn't implying that SE's are all of the sudden going to be worth more. just that its a bit funny that they are the most limited edition which is likely the exact opposite of a Stern release. just an observation and what have you.

#10366 4 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

Barbossa gets full chapter points and you can run endless multiball with half the playfield scoring you super jackpots.

i do agree wwith your overall points but i believe barbossa gets half value on those jackpots though. so there is some sort of negative to him unlike blackbeard who is the GOAT if you are going full-blown multiball scoring.

i'm sure there will be a balance pass on the characters with the next update.

#10530 4 years ago
Quoted from iepinball:

I've been meaning to stream this strategy before v1.0 comes. Maybe I'll get the equipment setup this week for a stream.

would be very interested to see. especially in that amount of game time!

gg.

Quoted from joseph5185:

Yea. I guess not.
I mean...that's cool.
I have never seen a score even close to that high. I thought 6M was pretty much breaking the game.
I don't tend to watch pinball streams outside of SDTM. I'd prefer to play instead and I think every high score set on an individual machine is unique in it's own right given no two machines will necessarily play exactly the same.
But if you understand the code and can aim, then high scores seem inevitable on ANY pin.

there are players that are so far beyond your (and my) skill that its downright unworldly. and they will absolutely destroy on any game, regardless of how its setup, given the chance to get familiar with a machine.

its best to just accept it and move on lol.

#10608 4 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

I can load the cannon but not terribly successful at hitting the target hole in the other ship.

Make sure everything is in alignment on both ships.

On the SE version I play on-location the cannon has been out of whack since almost day one - to the point that I'm just qualifying Black Pearl multiball using the skillshot advance once the cannon is primed to be loaded. Much easier than having to make 3 missed shots or the rare chance that the cannon shot actually hits as intended.

Its unfortunate but JJP POTC is definitely a game that needs major tweaking/dialing in before it plays 'right"

#10639 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Or get the load cannon light (green arrow) lit on the Black Pearl and then skill shot to advance it to the next step. Very simple concept. COTBP MB requires steps:
1) Raise Sails (spinners to light stand up targets)
2) Load Cannon (stand up targets to light green arrow)
3) Sink ship (load ball & fire while arrow lit)
4) Shoot Port Royal to start MB (insert flashing)
Whichever step you’re currently on, the skill shot will advance you to the next step.

yup. this is the progression.

so basically my strategy is just get the green cannon arrow lit. let the ball drop out of the pearl and then lock a ball in the chest to get another skillshot chance and.... voila! a free 'three point shot.'

ezpz Black Pearl multiball.

#10642 4 years ago

also thanks to this thread i managed to put up some seriously solid barbossa and norrington games at the brewery tonight (3ish million, wizard modes with norrington, etc).

nice to see the thread have some good old fashioned strategy discussion as opposed to the normal mods/troubleshooting/playfield archival preservation society discussion.

#10676 4 years ago
Quoted from iepinball:

Going to try to stream my high-risk/high-reward Barbossa strategy now if anyone is interested. https://www.twitch.tv/iepinball
Edit - That went well! https://www.twitch.tv/iepinball/clip/SarcasticSpeedyAntDendiFace

that is some unreal stacking. truly amazing play!

2 weeks later
#11047 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I have no idea why this fine game is so tormented by horrible issues.

Manufacturing pinball is hard.

#11054 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Not according to deeproot.

thatsthejoke.gif

1 week later
#11232 4 years ago
Quoted from Marcdaddy:

Wait my SE Jjp Pirates has yellow flippers on it.... is that not right?

pretty sure all the SE'd have yellow flipper / red rubber combinations. or at least the one i've been playing does.

#11283 4 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

What character is considered the best for score and progress? Didn't see it in key posts - just a breakdown of character rules.
I've only had the game 2 weeks, but my best scores have been Norrington. I was one chapter away from qualifying my 2nd mini wizard in a game. He really helps with sloppy shooting.

i like blackbeard as a general all-arounder. he's pretty solid in most games and usually what i will end up picking in a tournament scenario.

i think karl deangelo pretty much showed us all that barbossa is the absolute GOAT if you are very skilled and are going for pure scoring.

#11286 4 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Looks like Eric is tweaking the rules on Barbossa. It's all in his Pintastic seminar.

yeah i expect some significant balancing from the code update. fingers crossed that they are getting close. feels like we've been on this version forever.

1 week later
#11519 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Wow seeing scores like this reminds me how bad I play lol. Did you get to a wizard mode with a score like that?

i think my best game is still around ~5million and I didn't start a single wizard mode in that particular one. Really cool how the game has so many angles to attack it and still score well.

#11521 4 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

Like what is the purpose of the pirate inlane big points and hurry up? Is there a way to make them valueable or are they just there for when you hit the button 1 too many times collecting gold.

Not so sure if there is something that boosts the hurry-up award. It seems like sort of a throw away that might need some buffing.

However... the Big Points award is relatively trivial UNLESS you have 666666 rolling. Then I believe it awards a 'jackpot' of 666666 upon completion. I've only gotten it once and can't remember the exact value it gave. But it was massive.

#11524 4 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

ok so big points has SOMETHING going for it. and that would actually be cool to try to obtain. wonder if you could somehow stack it with shot x for a 4 million point big points shot. Is there someway other than that to increase big points or rather is there something that affects the base points value.

i'm not sure if anything increases base value. i believe it is just based on the number of multiballs that are running. i'm guessing @Keefer would be able to shed some insight into the details.

i would also imagine that you could not only stack it with a shot X multiplier... but a playfield super X multiplier for an absolutely absurd score a'la the @Troz ~20+ million shot.

3 weeks later
#11899 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Not sure where you’re getting that from - they are actively working on 2 more games, plus WOZ, DI and Wonka have all gotten updates recently. TH is pretty much “done” (although there are some bugs I don’t think they want to spend much more time on that game)

To be fair... they have been talking about a POTC update since the beginning of the year. I get that things take time and Keith had some health issues that likely set him back time-wise. But I don't think its unnatural for people to start getting antsy about getting an update that takes this game to a 1.0 state.

I'm to the point that I've seen all of the mini-wizard modes and would have qualified "Break The Curse" but it obviously wasn't implemented. I'm sure there are many other better players that have been that far and - at least in my case - its a little hard to find motivation to play deep into the game when you know you'll hit a brickwall and nothing will happen.

Luckily there are plenty of characters and strategies to work on so the game is still super fun to play. But lets not kid ourselves here... its long overdue for an update.

#11901 4 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

Actually, the current POTC game software is version 1.39. The older revision number was simply a typo.

Fair enough. My mistake.

It does seem a bit disingenuous of them to call the code at a 1.0 state when the final wizard mode is missing. But it is what it is at this point.

#11906 4 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

Apparently my joke about the silly emphasis on version numbers was lost. The only reason POTC code 0.99 is because JJP software team is forthcoming, open and honest, and they shared their software-feature roadmap ahead of shipping it. And then we shame them for it (which will cause open communication to stop). Complaining about version numbers will simply cause their sales/marketing team to obfuscate them in the same way they will no longer share pre-production ideas with us after pinside's response to 3-disc-gate.
Just say "work faster and harder on my game" and call it a day.

Ugh. Its not shaming them to wonder/speculate on what is going on behind the scenes with a code update that has been talked about for the better part of 10 months. JJP doesn't need people on Pinside to white knight for them and protect them from critique so their feelings won't get hurt.

If they want to share and be transparent they will. And if they don't they won't. And the world will continue to turn. And Pinside will continue to gripe.

#11908 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

But the last update wasn’t 10 months ago.

not sure if this is just a snarky semantic argument or what but i'm talking about the major update that will make the game 'complete.' it's been discussed around here since the beginning of the year, if not before.

yes they have released an update since then (in april lol) but as far as i recall it was mostly small bug fixes and some minor balancing. not the major character balancing or adding the final wizard mode to the game... which i'm guessing you knew i was referring to before you even posted.

#11918 4 years ago
Quoted from Skipnatty:

I didn't say you specifically were badgering them, but every time these guys step somewhere they hear the same question...just saying I know how I'd feel if that was me is all. No need to take it as a personal slight.

Conversely I'm sure these guys expect to hear these questions. Its the elephant in the room.

Plus they work in an industry that makes $8k+ toys for obsessed middle-aged white men who nitpick over every single minute nuance of said toys.

I'd wager they realize that its just part of the deal and go on with their lives without being offended like some of the folks on Pinside are on their behalf.

#11922 4 years ago

Welp. Those Wonka owners getting another post 1.0 code update are really feeling the JJP love these days. Funny how they don’t have to wait months and months for a feature complete game.

#11926 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Well, at least it's not Stern where you wait 1-4 YEARS to get a complete game (sometimes never - WoF, never forget). Hobbit aside, JJP gives MUCH more complete games at launch than Stern. It's not even close.

I agree. This isn't a Stern vs. JJP issue and was never intended to go that way. Both places make fine games.

I just find it interesting to see how much attention Wonka is getting post-launch compared to Pirates post-launch (and now a year later).

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

To be fair the past few Wonka updates have been fairly small, the latest consisting of 4 change items. The last Pirates update is probably larger than the past 6 or more Wonka updates combined. I'm sure the Pirates 1.x will come and hopefully by Expo. Even at .99 Pirates is still far and beyond the deeper game. Wonka does appear to be targeting location play as its main audience, I believe JJP even admitted that.

Sure. But Pirates didn't get little bug fixes ever couple of weeks post-launch. Maybe JJP has changed their methodology to be more agile with the small updates as opposed to compiling them all into a larger comprehensive update.

Just an observation really. I think everybody wants to see 1.0 at this point.

1 week later
#11987 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

How heavy is Pirates? Will a 300lb (max load) bar stool be able to support Pirates while I install the rear legs? I plan on installing the front legs first then lift the rear end and rest it on this bar stool. The machine is still in the box. Thanks!

Fwiw I believe ‘weight rated’ items usually bake in a little wiggle room when it comes to maximum loads. So I would imagine an extra 30lbs for a few minutes would be just fine. Especially if you had an extra set of hands helping out for those couple minutes.

Caveat emptor and all that jazz

2 months later
#12862 4 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

I think the two main items you miss out on in the Standard is the Starfield (which I personally don't use in my LE), and the small LCD Screen near the action button which imitates Captain Jack Sparrow's mysterious compass (which I do use slightly).

The standard we used to have on location had the mini LCD compass in the apron . It was an early one so I’m not sure if that ended up getting changed later in the manufacturing run???

I always thought the biggest ‘gameplay’ differences were the aforementioned starfield and the color changing GI lighting.

3 years later
#18509 8 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

Goodby Pirates. LTG : )
[quoted image]

A sad (and happy) day indeed!

I'll miss being able to have a guaranteed place to play whenever i'm in MSP. I wish Tilt would get theirs in order and back out on the floor.

4 months later
#18662 4 months ago
Quoted from pinballM:

Some people are waiting for a final wizard, but who's already finished all 5 movies ?

Its been ages since we had an SE to play on location but I did get to the point of finishing all 5 in a couple games.

I'm not as familiar with how the code sits at this point so its certainly possible that I missed something that would have qualified the yet-to-be-added final wizard mode. But I have to imagine that some of the folks who have these games at home have gotten through everything by now several times. Right?

Has Keefer even said anything about the final wizard mode in the past couple years? I know after the game was released he definitely talked about how it was in the works but I'm sure he's been pulled in many different directions since. It would be a great cherry on the top if they would just finish the damn code. The game is a mechanical masterpiece and one of the truly great JJP products - possibly their best to date.

#18668 4 months ago
Quoted from pinballM:

so you have finished the 5 mini wizard modes for each movie ?
just got this game, haven't played much yet
i really like the final wizard mode on Toy story
I agree that every game should be fully programmed with access to the final mode.
as a programmer, I'd feel that the game was unfinished and that my work wasn't finished.

Yes.

The game has been out for years and isn’t super brutal. It’s not that absurd to think people could work their way through the code by now.

3 weeks later
#18700 3 months ago

Oof. There are a bunch of games you listed as ‘bolted’ that I would get rid of in a heartbeat before id even consider listing a single owner POTCLE in this market.

Hopefully you can find a way to keep it because once its gone it’s likely never coming back. The other ones… always available to find again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 38.00
24,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanted
$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider anathematize.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club?tu=anathematize and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.