(Topic ID: 200141)

JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Official Owners and Fan Club!

By goren1818

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18,868 posts
  • 633 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 21 hours ago by gunstarhero
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240330_165232 (resized).jpg
POTC_Mods_annotated (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 12.02.54 PM (resized).png
17117301082711484468150429261795 (resized).jpg
20240329_160033 (resized).jpg
431321214_1110342276953195_8816628931148154685_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223442061 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240129_223435586 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240204_044856660.MP (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240203-170723 (resized).png
PXL_20240128_214506994 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240128_224833483.MP (resized).jpg
IMG_0980 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0982 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0981 (resized).jpeg
download (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #222 Liar's Dice rules explained! Posted by goren1818 (5 years ago)

Post #644 Rules flow chart Posted by Rbviessman (5 years ago)

Post #1021 How to fix black pearl lamps Posted by Yelobird (5 years ago)

Post #1360 Black Pearl flippers are uneven when in upper position - Fix Posted by evh347 (5 years ago)

Post #2468 Hardware fix for balls getting hung up during multiball. Posted by Pinballpal (5 years ago)

Post #2892 Adjustment for auto plunger not hitting balls cleanly or correctly Posted by Pinballpal (5 years ago)

Post #3974 Deadflip stream from Valentine’s Day 2019. Posted by Tuna_Delight (5 years ago)

Post #4014 POTC trouble shooting guide Posted by zaphX (5 years ago)

Post #4856 Possibly let distributor go through machine and get it tuned in. Posted by dgposter (5 years ago)

Post #6315 Fix for dauntless positioning, canon shots not landing Posted by Yelobird (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider VillaThrills.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#836 5 years ago

Knock on wood, no issues at all and about 6 games into it. No loose screws, ship works perfectly. Just had a start button get knocked loose. 2 second fix. Thanks to Doc Pinball in Indiana for snagging this one for me.

Had the same ball getting stuck on the ramp. Will adjust that. Also had the question on the bass/treble control. Any adjustments there?

896DBE5F-EC65-4A51-9D75-FC365EC9200E (resized).jpeg896DBE5F-EC65-4A51-9D75-FC365EC9200E (resized).jpeg
#845 5 years ago
Quoted from Energyspike:

Hey, received my POTC a couple days back and have one remaining issue. Thanks to those that posted I was ready to tap the threads but all was good but did need to move the braid out of the way. The chest would not release the balls but tweaked it and all is good. The one issue is the ball hangs on the top of the ladder quite often and stops the flow of the game. Love the game, it's my first pin! How do I resolve this? Also, found some bolts and nuts down below. Two of the brass bolts needed to be threaded into the disappearing post, see attached. Realized the posts were not working until the next day, so if you have this issue here is the resolve..
[quoted image][quoted image]

Ever get this resolved? I bent the gate so it sits more forward but the ramp has such a tilt to the left that I can’t bend it far enough to stop the issue. The ball travels downhill to the left and sits there against the gate. Gets stuck pretty frequently. Also my ship sits about an eighth if an inch above the ramp. Doesn’t seem to affect it though. Either way just doesn’t seem like the ramp isn’t shaped right to let the ball travel back on the right side ramp.

#847 5 years ago

Like I said, I tried to bend the ship ramp gate forward but could not do that enough. Just as a troubleshooting measure I wrapped tape around the gate to see how much further forward it would need to come and it is pretty significant. See pic below. The whole ramp is only held up on one side which may be the issue with the ramp not sitting level.

99B904F5-1045-40C2-9195-ECFEE4AA5DEC (resized).jpeg99B904F5-1045-40C2-9195-ECFEE4AA5DEC (resized).jpeg
#850 5 years ago
Quoted from Energyspike:

Yes, tightened the screw with the rubber grommet that LTG recommended and pulled the ramp up gently, left side of the ramp up as to bend the tab ever so slightly. It did the trick and it is no longer getting hung up. I actually loosened the screw to the grommet so it would not be impacted so tightly for longevity etc. and retested and still good to go.

Bah...didn’t realize LTG’s Response was for that. That seems to have worked. But it is awefully tight. May bend it slightly as well. Thanks for the response!

Edit: Still not 100%. Much better but still got one during multi ball.

#857 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

The ramp shouldn't sit level. The ramp should lean to the right.
LTG : )

Yep, mine was actually leaning left. Had to bend the bracket and screw in as far as I could to get it consistently draining right. But I think all is good now. Thanks for the insight!

#923 5 years ago
Quoted from VividPsychosis:

I’ve owned a dialed in, it’s a fun game, but it’s no masterpiece, it can be scratched off that list based on theme alone. POTC is way way way more fun.
IMO
POTC: best overall: most fast action high fun rate. Quite possibly the best repeatable loop in all of pinball. Stacking on stacking on stacking... multi-balls for days and gold button slamming for fun!
Dialed in: great smooth shot layout, most flow, poor theme.
Hobbit: best feeling of an epic journey, love the bash toys and the multi level wizard modes. Best integration of movie clips/music/ animations into any of the games. last code update makes the game feel the most polished.
WOZ: best playfield, most innovative when released, feels least likely out of all of them to complete the master wizard mode, although hobbit is neck and neck! Potc still remains to be seen on that front. This game is a classic because it was the first of its kind and one of the most beautiful pins in history.

Completely agree with this. The one recommendation I have for continued code development is to change up the Movie Wizard modes. There is just no excitement when you get to them. Single ball in play, no intensity, animations are lackluster. Absolutely able to improve this in code. When you hit Battle of Five Armies in The Hobbit, you know it and everyone around you knows it! Just epic. POTC, not so much. You would miss it if you didn’t know any better. Having said that, gameplay is truly amazing. Pirate theme is solid. Movie theme integration really can’t match The Hobbit but that’s actually ok for me as I am not a huge POTC movie fan. But absolutely some of the most fun you can have playing a pinball machine IMHO (at least while the honeymoon period is in effect!)

#933 5 years ago
Quoted from Join_The_Cirqus:

Forgot to post here
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks great! Was the topper a direct swap out or did you have to modify any wiring? The LE topper is not all that impressive. Even the lighting effects don't synch to the game very much if at all.

#934 5 years ago
Quoted from TheGunnett:

Has anyone installed pinblades yet? I’d like to see what they look like and where you got them.

See post #410 and #429

#943 5 years ago

My son created another pin cup to go with the one he made for The Hobbit. Looks great!

210EBC18-705D-4C74-875E-075C31C19BF5 (resized).jpeg210EBC18-705D-4C74-875E-075C31C19BF5 (resized).jpeg31750994-7A2B-4A8D-BE1C-2D0F88BFAA82 (resized).jpeg31750994-7A2B-4A8D-BE1C-2D0F88BFAA82 (resized).jpeg

#950 5 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

Sometimes I have a crack in the speaker during gameplay, is that normal ?

I get both the pop on boot up which is fairly normal, but I also get the cracks every now and then in the gameplay audio.

#956 5 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

Anyone else has problem with the action button. Mine didn’t always register, same without lockbar. I think I have a bad switch

My switch is fine but my button tends to stick. Did bend the switch support slightly so that they button doesn't rub but I still get the switch sticking even out of the lockbar. You can look in the top and see if the post from the button is squarely hitting the switch. Mine did not. But if you are having problems even without the lockbar you have other issues. I have seen where screwing the switch assembly in too tight will make the switch stick. Unscrew it completely and try the switch just connected to the wires. If that works, it may be the screws were too tight not letting the switch reset.

#958 5 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

You are Right . It was screwing too tight.
Thank you
When playing the white thing on the picture was flowing over the playfield. Any idea where it comes to ?
Is it possible to change the brightness of the Monitor i cant find a Setting.
Thanks
Greetings [quoted image]

Think there is one behind the trunk. There are a number in the game. Will try to take pics of all the locations for you.

#960 5 years ago

Here is the one I was talking about...

A2BDC1D3-E5B6-4F32-88DB-56199A3A60EB (resized).jpegA2BDC1D3-E5B6-4F32-88DB-56199A3A60EB (resized).jpeg
#991 5 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

I have been noticing the sdtm at the chapter start. When the post drops so does my balls
Other then nudging 350 pounds!
Could there be a 2 sec ball save?

Never had that either. Have had the subway shoot it down the outlane when I wasn’t looking. Lol.

#992 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Dead men tell no tales! There be No stainless cannons on me pirate ship! We are proud to introduce our newest JJP Pirates custom Pirate Cannon mod. A very simple yet highly detailed add on to dress up the Black Pearl for battle! Each piece airbrush detailed for an authentic look worthy of such a fine ship. Mod is simple to install and does Not effect play or originality should you wish to reverse later. Plunder this mod Shipping NOW!!! Fire the cannons at those Scurvy dogs!! Available now from our website store www.TheModCouplePinball.com
Thanks for your interest and support!!!
The Mod Couple
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Ha...should have just waited for the pros...Great job ModCouple! Will be picking up your Dead Men Tell No Tales sign. Now, about that missing section of the Black Pearl. And how to make the windows of the captain’s quarters glow...

F6B231FB-20A5-40FB-8543-AA6C89CD9F6D (resized).jpegF6B231FB-20A5-40FB-8543-AA6C89CD9F6D (resized).jpeg
#996 5 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I consider myself as having a decent pinball collection. Addams Family Gold, Attach from Mars, Congo, Dial In LE, Elvira and the Party Monsters, Guardian of the Galaxy, Iron Maiden, Monster Bash, Scared Stiff, Ruby Red Wizard of Oz. I want the POTCLE so bad, something from my collection must go to get it.. I played my friends POTCLE and damn its so good.. What should i sell to get it.. Eric, you can chime in to help..

Interesting question. Just a problem of space or cost? What gets the least play? I dropped a Star Trek Premium and have not looked back at all as this is such a great game. You have a lot of the same theme in SS, MB, and EPM.

#999 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Congo and guardians in my opinion.

Agreed with Congo. Theme never did it for me.

#1018 5 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

Ships in dry dock..I need a post for the left sling. I was getting a shorted switch machine gun firing.apon closer inspection the lower post was leaning. Causing the rubber To hit the switch.
It turned out that the post that was installed at the factory was a wood screw type and it needs a threaded type.i hope they could ship me the right one asap.i went on the support page and sent a message. It didn't say it was a ticket so I don't know if it's the right place to send it
[quoted image]

Mine was doing that too but I gapped the leaf switches a bit more and it hasn’t done it since.

#1030 5 years ago

Thanks Mod Couple, just tweaked my weak light. Better. Enough so that I wouldn’t have noticed. A bit of a scary tweak as the hole isn’t straight which is why it was having so many problems out there. You are drilling at an angle to try to hit the light just right. The sculpt doesn’t really help the wiring and bulb placement out any.

Still not sure why that side piece stops so short along the hull.

Added in the gold coin shooter rod that I modified a bit. The coin was just too bright for the game so added in some black too.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#1058 5 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

Big Thanks!!! That was the Solution.
The only problem left now is the Button on the lockbar. And I can‘t adjust it, cause the plastic Button is crap and always gets stuck. Has someone found a good replacement?

I had the same issue. My distributor recommended pulling the button and running under very hot water. I also bent the switch closer to the coin door a bit as the post from the button was hitting the edge. With both of these, the button is finally smooth. But I had to do both fixes.

#1085 5 years ago

Does anyone know if there are any other adjustments on the door to the cannon on the Black Pearl? I set the power all the way up in the one setting I found and it still won’t stay open. Any physical adjustment? Did I miss a setting?

Also is there any way to test this in the menu? I see the option to flip it open but I want to test it staying open.

Other oddball thing is every know and then after a multi ball I go into ball search and there will be a ball that eventually comes out of the subway. No big deal, just not sure what it is getting hung up on down there.

#1086 5 years ago
Quoted from Outlanes:

I'm having some weird issues but I dont know if it's a design thing I never noticed?
After locking a ball, the fork diverter on mine stays up even if you dont qualify it a second time, is that the same for you guys?
Also has anyone else had any issues with the game not launching balls in multi ball? Opto maybe?

Hmm...have not noticed these issues in mine.

#1097 5 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

Had the same and a closer look to the scoop.as you can the the Metal Stands in Front of the ramp. I fixed it with a post, and have no single ball search..[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for that. Will try that out today.

#1123 5 years ago
Quoted from twista22:

So I'm a bit confused because my topper flickers a bunch. Is it supposed to flicker or stay lit solid?

Pretty sure it is supposed to flicker. Not the greatest of toppers.

#1138 5 years ago
Quoted from GrandFireball1:

Has anyone had trouble making the chest lock shot? My game is slightly steeper than factory pitch, but only very rarely will the ball make it into the chest lock. The flipper power is higher on both (Left-24, Right-30) but the lock is still super hard. Is there a physical adjustment to the forks that doesn’t require taking the whole thing apart?

I have the pitch set to what the factory recommends. I want to say it is about 6.5. But I have no issue hitting the chest shot regularly. Very easy and smooth shot.

#1139 5 years ago

Thanks Mod Couple on the quick shipping for my POTC mods. I would agree with the other comment the deck railing shouldn’t go all the way around on the British ship mod.

1399BD36-E5B0-472A-92DC-77283C2AF600 (resized).jpeg1399BD36-E5B0-472A-92DC-77283C2AF600 (resized).jpeg50237B45-63C4-45FF-BE98-26C19EF6935F (resized).jpeg50237B45-63C4-45FF-BE98-26C19EF6935F (resized).jpeg

#1145 5 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

Agreed, mine is always flashing as well.

Yes, mine seems to almost always flash. Not sure what that is about.

#1298 5 years ago
Quoted from WolfManCat:

I had to take a pair of needle nose pliers to the metal arm that controls the flap and bend it a little.
Also be sure the coil is firmly secured to its mount. My chest fork mech worked intermitently and it was primarily due to a loose screw securing the coil to the bracket.

Same here

#1340 5 years ago
Quoted from evh347:

Are both upper flippers supposed to be even when triggered at the flippers? (both are being held at the time of this pic)
[quoted image]

Yes they should be I believe

#1368 5 years ago

So, had my machine at a pinball convention all weekend. Great time but the machine is in pieces. Had the wire break on the Black Pearl so cut off the 4 or 5 cable ties of death off and tried to do my best to resolder. Now unfortunately no lights on the Black Pearl turn on. Any insight in to where to look if none of them turn on? I had to wrangle the Black Pearl loose so I am sure I either broke another wire in the process or dislodged the connector.

The door for the chest release fell off. Had to reduce the length of the leaf switch under the Black Pearl ramp after noticing that my ramp was all scraped up. Which by the way was why the ball gets stuck on the wire form on the ramp up to the Black Pearl!!!! The leaf switch doesn’t let the ramp site down far enough.

Still have two other screws that I have not found where they go yet. Any insight?

Everyone loved the game, but it will be out the door quickly if I have this much headache with it.

197C9FE8-7454-4F15-9FE3-5BF872CA4A47 (resized).jpeg197C9FE8-7454-4F15-9FE3-5BF872CA4A47 (resized).jpegEE5A3704-FA0C-4079-AFCC-7401BC2B7F61 (resized).jpegEE5A3704-FA0C-4079-AFCC-7401BC2B7F61 (resized).jpeg

#1374 5 years ago
Quoted from VillaThrills:

So, had my machine at a pinball convention all weekend. Great time but the machine is in pieces. Had the wire break on the Black Pearl so cut off the 4 or 5 cable ties of death off and tried to do my best to resolder. Now unfortunately no lights on the Black Pearl turn on. Any insight in to where to look if none of them turn on? I had to wrangle the Black Pearl loose so I am sure I either broke another wire in the process or dislodged the connector.
The door for the chest release fell off. Had to reduce the length of the leaf switch under the Black Pearl ramp after noticing that my ramp was all scraped up. Still have two other screws that I have not found where they go yet. Any insight?
Everyone loved the game, but it will be out the door quickly if I have this much headache with it.

Ok...found the issue. Cut off a couple more ZTODs (zip ties of death). Resoldered the main power connector to the light module on the ship. On the positive side I am getting better at getting the ship off.

Any insight to the screws? One just looks like a board screw but didn’t see anything missing. The other one is pretty hefty and I am worried it was important. Only thing I can notice is the British ship is a bit loose but I can’t see any open screw holes. Any insight to the bigger one?

875A229D-441D-4465-BD8E-278E548A30E6 (resized).jpeg875A229D-441D-4465-BD8E-278E548A30E6 (resized).jpeg
#1451 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

It will work perfectly in the factory problems will only show up once you have it at home and are in the middle of your best game that's usually how it goes.

Many issues are showing up after play. The broken wires etc need some games on it before it happens.

Things you can check for:

Check the leaf switch for the sling under the Black Pearl ramp. When the ramp is adjust appropriately so the ball doesnt get stuck in the wireform, the switch rubs the ramp.

Check the action button for easy movement with no sticking.

Check that the load door to the Black Pearl cannon stays up.

Check that the British ship registers hits properly.

Check that the chest forks and locks work properly.

Hope that helps some. It really is a great game.

#1453 5 years ago
Quoted from DANGERTERROR:

Is there a repeatable (describable) way to get the ball into the cannon once it’s lit that you’ve all figured out?
I’ve been working on a backhand from a left flip trap but that rarely works. Lucky shots from the tip of the right work, but getting it there is hard. What have you all discovered?

Not easy...but backhand flip from left flipper just as the ship starts rocking back to the left. Never can do it consistently from the right flipper.

#1523 5 years ago
Quoted from Schabs81:

To they guys that own machine think this is a good game for only one machine game room? Played a little at expo sold my games a couple months ago

If I were to get rid of all of my other pins, at this point, this would be the one I kept so far.

#1533 5 years ago
Quoted from pickleric:

Anyone know where you get the art blades in this picture?
[quoted image]

I believe that is from Tilt...
https://www.tiltgraphicsinc.com/product-page/pirates-of-the-caribbean-gameblades

#1535 5 years ago

My only complaint on that art blade is that they don’t seem to match the color palette of the table art. Much more muted and brown than the jewel tone reds of the playfield or apron. Would have preferred an ocean wave scene to make the black pearl look like it is on the water at night.

#1538 5 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

You are Right . It was screwing too tight.
Thank you
When playing the white thing on the picture was flowing over the playfield. Any idea where it comes to ?
Is it possible to change the brightness of the Monitor i cant find a Setting.
Thanks
Greetings [quoted image]

Sorry to be so delayed in getting back to you on this... Here are the locations that I could see for the rubber bumper locations

1EB9E768-62A9-4ED5-8B9A-C2500424330D (resized).jpeg1EB9E768-62A9-4ED5-8B9A-C2500424330D (resized).jpeg932DAFA4-9362-4041-B969-BFB9368E6E71 (resized).jpeg932DAFA4-9362-4041-B969-BFB9368E6E71 (resized).jpegCC5003C3-437D-41CC-9D2F-E4B6E9C8910F (resized).jpegCC5003C3-437D-41CC-9D2F-E4B6E9C8910F (resized).jpegD0861163-B1DB-44C7-A0B3-7F5BDCDCE009 (resized).jpegD0861163-B1DB-44C7-A0B3-7F5BDCDCE009 (resized).jpeg
#1542 5 years ago

Oy...hate to report this one...found it when trouble shooting a chattering sling. Chipping by the slings and slings wearing thin. Thoughts on what to do about this one??? New rubber, fine. But playfield chipping significantly on both sides? I only have 457 games on it. Just lost a ton of value on this one. Guess I will call JJP on Monday.
AFCC22D0-DC02-4F58-A7D7-C1EA1C65C1C4 (resized).jpegAFCC22D0-DC02-4F58-A7D7-C1EA1C65C1C4 (resized).jpegC96AA808-3D70-43B7-BE43-41516619E42B (resized).jpegC96AA808-3D70-43B7-BE43-41516619E42B (resized).jpeg

E600D36F-6824-41C8-A648-FDA30B5B10DA (resized).jpegE600D36F-6824-41C8-A648-FDA30B5B10DA (resized).jpeg62E509EE-2176-4D5A-86E9-2075189B523E (resized).jpeg62E509EE-2176-4D5A-86E9-2075189B523E (resized).jpeg
#1549 5 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

That looks fantastic! I just received the same shooter rod and would like to add some black as well to bring out the details in the coin. What was your technique to paint that and what sort of paint did you use? Also, where did you get the spare Aztec coin for the keychain on the coin door?

https://www.amazon.com/BladesUSA-Other-Skull-Coin-Necklace/dp/B006BJFPWM/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1

Right now $2.28. That is all the shooter rod is as well, you can see the loop on the top of the coin on the rod. Since you are painting the depressed areas, you can actually use just about any paint as long as you seal it. I just used craft paint. Wiped off the top to get the gold to show. Let that dry and then seal it with an acrylic spray with several coats.

#1569 5 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

Pardon?
A friend and I just ordered one each of the Aztec gold shooter rod at $125 CDN/each. Are we referring to the same unit that looks like it's a very shiny gold? I won't be impressed if it is a cheap (quality-wise) $3 toy, that doesn't look like the pictures in the for sale ads here.

I was referring to my keychain for the link. However, I would suggest sealing the top. Other reviewers have said the gold rubs off. Can’t say how much they paid for the pendant but it sure looks to me like the ones from Amazon for under $10. Don’t get me wrong, it looks great. But yeah, not sure why they are so expensive.

#1572 5 years ago

Doing a limited batch run of Pirates pin cups we made if anyone is interested. $30 including shipping in the US. Just PM me.

Slightly different from the picture. We are printing the flange integrated to the cup so please identify a right or left hand flange. The one pictured is a left hand flange. A left hand flange can go on the right leg and stick out to the side or on the left leg and stick out in front of the machine.

If you really want an ambidextrous cup, let me know and we can do a one off. Just easier to print it all toghether.

770E45B3-F194-4842-8F47-A8A97BC03ACC (resized).jpeg770E45B3-F194-4842-8F47-A8A97BC03ACC (resized).jpeg9EF750CD-CDE6-417D-9F76-6F4780D5719A (resized).jpeg9EF750CD-CDE6-417D-9F76-6F4780D5719A (resized).jpeg
#1577 5 years ago

Holy crap that was a lot of work.
PF protector installed. New super thin model. Seems great. Raised the spinning disc a smidge. Pics indicate what we had to remove for your reference. It was a lot.
I really think this should be offered in the factory again. This would have prevented some really bad chipping in at least the scoop. Noticed some other chipped spots around a sling post (!) and of course the map hole. For $8500 I really need this game to keep its value on location. Hopefully this will help
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Was that chipping around the bottom sling post by any chance?

#1580 5 years ago

Yes. Here are some wear spots from our SE on location.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Huh...yep, that would be the spot. No idea what is causing that. But certainly something that needs fixed. I submitted a ticket in and emailed pictures. Everyone has been great to work with so far. I have no doubt they will get to the bottom of this.

#1593 5 years ago
Quoted from Energyspike:

Thanks for posting this. I just put mine on also and looking at the map hole noticed that the mylar bubbled up on one of the edges and got that sorted out. Going to order mylar for Star Map area this week...

I had that as well and saw that on a couple others. Take a look at the map hole, seems that the mylar likes to come up there on the side.

#1638 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Ahhhh....much better.
Move over Tortuga Tom, Captain Jack Sparrow is coming aboard!
I love this mod!!!
SDTM Zach’s Bad Ass Jack Sparrow Replacement Mod for JJP POTC LE/CE
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Never did understand Tortuga Tom. This is awesome! Does Tortuga Tom come off or is this a new barrel top too?

#1643 5 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

How about this instead! There is enough Depp already!!!!!!!!

Looks like they have about all of the characters.

#1680 5 years ago

Look what just showed up from the Mod Couple. Made some alterations and took off the left side railing. We will see how it holds up.

51979AFB-BDD9-4088-9D07-112E2E104C62 (resized).jpeg51979AFB-BDD9-4088-9D07-112E2E104C62 (resized).jpeg
#1686 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Speaking of jack the monkey, is he even in the game anywhere?

I think Eric said in one of the streams that they tried to get the dog and the monkey and the animals agents wanted more money. So I don't think that is happening. Would have loved a Monkey Mode.

#1695 5 years ago
Quoted from SheriffBarclay:

Any distros have any LEs ready to ship now? I want one...

Doc Pinball in Indianapolis had one in stock. Not sure if it is gone yet.

#1707 5 years ago
Quoted from JordanB:

Mine is sagging too. I didn't notice it until I had a friend over who pointed it out. Now I can't un-see it. I checked if there was a quick adjustment, but didn't notice anything obvious. Keen to hear what others may have done.

9 times out of 10 you don’t have that side actually in the bracket. It is not easy to actually get it latched appropriately. Once you do, it shouldn’t wiggle at all.

#1752 5 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

The features matrix says this game has movie clips. Is that a lie?

Not sure I follow. There are movie clips to start each chapter, when you sink a ship, at each ball end, etc. Some are disappointed that there are no clips of actors in those scenes. Personally I prefer it this way. Much more of a pirate theme than a movie pin as I am not fond of the movies.

#1757 5 years ago

So I did hear back from Jack. His initial take on my playfield issues were that I probably had 2 loose posts and the damage is normal wear and tear even on a new pinball machine. Warranty claim denied. The posts are tight and have always been so.

Searching Pinside, I see that DI also had the same issues around the VUKs. Looking around my playfield I have several posts bubbling the playfield, not just at the slings. So my honest question to all is this the new normal? I don’t mean to start a fight or anything here on Pinside or start another dimple thread.

Before I get others involved, should I expect this? I have never seen something like this but many here have way more experience. Would you pay full price for a fairly new game with this kind of damage?

21FCE4AF-689E-4A63-B3BA-156A2719596F (resized).jpeg21FCE4AF-689E-4A63-B3BA-156A2719596F (resized).jpeg73CBF393-FEF7-4B47-8E82-2C9D5AFDE92F (resized).jpeg73CBF393-FEF7-4B47-8E82-2C9D5AFDE92F (resized).jpeg
#1763 5 years ago

Did some touch up work and going to put a wider post there. Should work just fine. FYI I did strip the top components off and my guess is the narrow sling posts seem to have an edge on the bottom that cuts into the playfield. All of the post bottoms seem to have mushroomed out. My guess is the installation of the posts that have rough bottom edges is the culprit. Not sure if that is the fault of the posts or the install method.

So for those with new ones, you might want to take a peek at these posts and either put some Mylar below them or shave off this sharp edge. Not sure yet.

D3D239E8-800E-4185-B090-FB2987405649 (resized).jpegD3D239E8-800E-4185-B090-FB2987405649 (resized).jpegEA3F5A5F-60FA-47C2-BC61-496B7D4D3478 (resized).jpegEA3F5A5F-60FA-47C2-BC61-496B7D4D3478 (resized).jpeg
#1768 5 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

This is my fix. So far so good
[quoted image]

So, what it finally was on mine was the leaf switch on the sling under the ramp. It is too tall and scrapes the ramp on the right side and doesn’t let it sit down far enough. Once I cut the top of the leaf switch, I could very easily screw the support down appropriately to where I didn’t need anything on the wire guide.

#1838 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Game is in the house and updating code now.
First thing I noticed is that the screen by default is very washed out. After adjusting the contrast of the screen from 50 to 85 or so, it's much better. Much more pop - just requires to you unhook the tv lock and bring it out.
EDIT - still waiting for code to update. In the meantime I noticed there are tip screens in b/w balls. Anyway to turn those off?

Yep, in the settings menu.

#1846 5 years ago

So I hate to point this out to people, but why is the topper not centered on the LE? Can’t unsee it now.

#1858 5 years ago

I believe it is post 1305 for the gate.

#1863 5 years ago
Quoted from Hogbog:

It is centered. It's just the perspective from his photo that makes it look off-center.

It’s actually off by an inch or two on mine. Assuming the lock on the backbox is in the middle. Not that big of a deal, just weird it isn’t centered.

57A3B7F4-F258-4868-B9BE-2A03CC478B49 (resized).jpeg57A3B7F4-F258-4868-B9BE-2A03CC478B49 (resized).jpeg
#1865 5 years ago
Quoted from Ilushka85:

Seems like a good reason to get to the CE

As good of a reason as any!

#1886 5 years ago

Random main flipper issue. Every now and then I get the right flipper going up, but then not holding and bouncing up again. 3 Connections on the coil seem soldered fine. Anything else to check?

#1887 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Game is in the house and updating code now.
First thing I noticed is that the screen by default is very washed out. After adjusting the contrast of the screen from 50 to 85 or so, it's much better. Much more pop - just requires to you unhook the tv lock and bring it out.
EDIT - still waiting for code to update. In the meantime I noticed there are tip screens in b/w balls. Anyway to turn those off?

Wow...yes, +contrast. Looks much better. Didn’t know it needed to look better but now it does.

#1896 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Return flipper spring good ? EOS closing when it should and leaf blade points clean ?

Spring is good. Looks like the switch makes good contact. Tried to clean the contacts just in case. Problem is it is currently sporadic and hard to reproduce the issue. Will see.

#1903 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Found this blocking the trough kickout. Any idea what it is? Was preventing me from playing until I got it out of the way.

Is that a lens to a spotlight?

#1907 5 years ago
Quoted from pickleric:

Now I can’t unsee it!

Yeah, no clue why they would do that. Now I am focused on making a better topper. Not sure if I want a full motion Black Pearl with waves and lighting effects or a full bottle topper that doesn’t have the black board around it.

#1921 5 years ago
Quoted from NickBuffaloPinball:

I just had the same exact problem on my DI yesterday...

I just can’t get through my head the behavior. Do the JJP coils work like the old Bally ones? So button is pressed and high power coil kicks in and the flipper goes up. Hits the EOS, and adds in the low power coils. Either low power never engaged (short in the coil connection) or is not enough (poor solder joint). Flipper comes back down, releases EOS, bypasses low power coil and high power kicks it back up trips the EOS and somehow low power magically is enough now. Just don’t understand that.

#1944 5 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

I don‘t think that this is working yet. I can‘t see and Star constellations.

The constellations are in the shape of a clue. Sometimes it is the shape of the chest, or the letter T, or kind of a swirl for the maelstrom, or a ship. Not sure what happens when you get all of the shots as I have never finished yet that I know of or if I did, I missed the ending. I had my son studying it when I was playing and he was calling out the shots. You can change the fade on them to see it easier.

#1957 5 years ago
Quoted from moTiv8:

Also added some toys near the Pin

Never really thought about it but you can buy the CE playfield?

#1974 5 years ago
Quoted from pickleric:

Check the alignment of the manual shooter, my autoshooter was hanging a little bit sometimes on the e-clip of the shooter rod. Adjust the alignment of the shooter rod a little bit and no more autoplunger hang ups.

Mine just started doing this...will take a look tonight. Thanks for the note on how you resolved it.

#1977 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

so two items:
1) Gold button sometimes gets stuck a little after multiple presses - anyone experience this?
2) Bumper VUK sometimes hits sling. I know you can change power but it seems like it could be more than than. Anyone experience this and any thoughts to have it kick out clean 100%? Right now it's around 70%?
Thanks,
Brian

Take a look through the thread...lots of ways to fix 1). Mine included bending the switch the button hits on the receiver and then running very hot water over the button. Some are using white lithium, others are sanding. Take a look at the pictures of the thread, you will see ones with the button in question and you can jump to that post.

#1984 5 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

it is just another coil that you can turn down. it should be listed as the pop bumper vuk (or something similiar)

Only thing on mine and several reported the same is that the scoop for the VUK wasn’t screwed in tight. May want to check that to even the launch out some.

#1995 5 years ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

In saying this though I still want one!! It looks like a fun game!

Everyone has seen my issues and I am not minimizing those concerns in the least...however I can say without reservation, this is my favorite pinball machine ever. I really look forward to Eric’s next machine as this one is a masterpiece IMHO. I can’t wait for the next reveal.

#2000 5 years ago

Goodbye Tom, hello Jack. Series II figure.

03054EE5-F499-418E-A794-7653D94F062D (resized).jpeg03054EE5-F499-418E-A794-7653D94F062D (resized).jpeg9DBFCA3E-889D-4B65-93E7-3AC9A4B5DD7C (resized).jpeg9DBFCA3E-889D-4B65-93E7-3AC9A4B5DD7C (resized).jpeg
#2004 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Two screws from the bottom up. Then two screws hold the figure/barrel to the pop bumper. Page C-32 in the manual.
I don't think double sided tape or hot glue would last long on a pop bumper.

Exactly. Very easy direct replacement that is not permanent. Careful on what character as jack barely fit width wise. Couldn’t hold the rum bottle as his fingers would hit the rails.

#2006 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Thanks!
Btw can someone post the left spinner devil's triangle from their game? Mine works and spins fine but is it designed to be on an angle?
[quoted image]

So the top is but the spinner doesn’t really look angled to me.

#2032 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I’m taking delivery today!
To summarize what I need to look for:
- Braid in the leg holes
- Remove all the foam
- Look for loose parts
- Check the Black Pearl wiring
Anything else? Has the topper centering been fixed?

Leaf switch under the Pearl ramp rubbing the ramp, may need to trim the top of the leaf. Then tighten the ramp down so the ball doesn’t get stuck on the wire gate. Action button sticking. Sling posts over tightened and cutting into the playfield. Cannon door not staying open or not opening all the way. Subway deforming and having balls get stuck. Guide on the Tortuga hole not tight. Auto launcher getting caught on the plunger. Verify disk is centered and level. Update to the latest code. Then go buy all the Mod Couple items and enjoy!

#2061 5 years ago

Ok...wanted to get some honest feedback. I have never put any type of undercabinet lighting on a game but I am toying around with some ideas. I will get rid of the stock topper and go with some sort of Black Pearl model so envision a ship up on top. Was contemplating some type of water projection instead of any type of under cabinet lighting. The video for some reason came out more purple in the center, it is all completely blue. Cool or just too much? Under cabinet or topper as shown? Trying to capture the world under glass concept but may just be a complete fail.

#2065 5 years ago
Quoted from Genjuro:

Love it, going to copy that for sure. Did you use one of those projectors one can get on amazon for this effect?

Yep, pretty cheap. Found one for like $10. Going to try to 3d print the Black Pearl base with this built into it. We shall see. I only have the Christmas break to really dedicate to working on it.

#2069 5 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

The water SHOULD be on the bottom like it's floating on water...?

Yeah, that is what I was contemplating. Actually pretty easy to get the undercabinet to do this but you need some stronger lighting is all. That way you are standing in the water.

#2167 5 years ago

Updated my posts just to stop the progression of the chipping around the bottom sling posts. Looks pretty good and covers up any of the chipping that has already occurred. More of a protective measure than a design one. Went with light blue star posts.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg184D33DD-3B67-4165-A64B-DD7C9A16311F (resized).jpeg184D33DD-3B67-4165-A64B-DD7C9A16311F (resized).jpeg
#2169 5 years ago

Okay, just beat the Kraken. That was a cool video clip. It is my favorite wizard mode. Good animations, good ending. I would still recommend adding in a shaker motor hit like we need on a ship blowing up. If you could get a ball lock around the last loop, do white or gold playfield lights zooming up to the back box, and then play the video, that would be cool. Something more like killing Smaug. By the time I looked up the clip was half over.

#2178 5 years ago

The headshot isn’t even the size of the slings. The map is bigger. Although I am interested to see if they ever make a Black Pearl edition. But even if you don’t like Depp (which I don’t) you at least get to see cannons fired at his head! But to each his own. It is the best pin out there in current production IMHO.

#2193 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

OK - so here we go. I have to say, I doubt these pics will get this across but with the way I have them configured (not 100% full blast but 70 or so) - they are EXACTLY what I need for full dark play. Put a red/purple color with the whites - perfect for what I need.
Flasher integration using the Shaker motor to push off the uv is great too.
Btw there are red clouds on the star map.... Never even noticed that before haha
I will post these here but trust me, the way it looks in person is not as extreme. Very happy - only in FULL dark play would I need this but that's the way I play at night!

I actually do full blue, no white at all. I trigger off the spot lights for the GI. Gives the game a really eerie and watery tone. UV on the shaker, remove the spot lights and it is about as good of a use of the mod as I have seen. Really makes the game more intense with the flashers.

#2209 5 years ago
Quoted from pickleric:

Then what the heck is going on with your avatar!?

Fixed!

#2217 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

YIKES!!! You just frightened "Jack" before his big debut tomorrow! I'll never get this little guy to put the ball down and go to bed now!! You mean man you. lol
[quoted image]

Love it...the monkey stole a ball. Really detailed for that small of a character. Looking forward to see where you place him.

#2267 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Pirates isn't complete without the best character in the films. "Jack the Monkey"!! Of all the mods we have created this one is dare I say the Cutest thing we have ever made. This mischievous monkey know to haunt Jack Sparrow is up to his old tricks stealing the pinball (scaled of coarse...) from your fun! While there are several places you can install him he is like the movies at home on the Black Pearl railing keeping an eye out for trouble or looking for it!! Each mod meticulously hand painted to keep with the games beauty. We hope you love him as much as we did creating him. "We named the Monkey Jack!" Available NOW from our website store!
www.TheModCouplePinball.com
Thanks SO much for all the interest and support. We Love what we do and appreciate being part of your amazing collections!
The Mod Couple

You need to setup a subscription service that just automatically ships your items when they come out. Or bunch them up so I can combine shipping! Lol. Order being placed now right when I just received the bumper caps and silencer kit.

#2269 5 years ago

Put the Mod Couples silencer kit in tonight. SOOOO much better. You can still tell that it is on, but it is not annoyingly loud any longer. As an extra bonus, my disk is now much more level with the playfield. Honestly if it were any quieter you wouldn’t realize it was moving. I will admit, it is not the easiest of mods to put in but anyone that has had experience with pinball machines should be able to easily do it.

This mod for me is mandatory. It truly just makes the game more enjoyable. Makes it feel even more like the high end quality machine it wants to be.

Now for Jack the monkey...hmm...can he fit on the lower stationary pop bumper?

#2297 5 years ago

Latest revision of the underwater light show. Different projector (actually is brighter since the floor was so dark), green and blue lights. Will need to modify the projector a bit if possible. More on that as I dig into it. At this point, I just want to see what is possible.

#2304 5 years ago
Quoted from Ilushka85:

Can you share what light this is ?

The one in the undercabinet video is
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0719FFLDV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_ASuiCbF2XZH8E

But I am trying to find one that when powered will turn on to the same setting. So far no luck.

#2367 5 years ago

Finished up wiring the undercab light show. Completely bypassed the projector’s electronics. Direct wired the +5V and GND to the fan, motor, and Blue and Green LEDs to a USB cable. There is one USB left open in the backbox that is powered. So the CPU is providing the power, that way the undercabinet lights turn on when you turn the pinball machine on and the computer boots up. Any electronics experts out there, let me know if there is anything I can add for safety of the USB. Don’t care about the lights, but would rather not have to replace the motherboard.

This projector looks more like running water. Can’t decide if I like this one or the first one I tried which was more a shimmer than running water. But I do like the blue and green as it matches the playfield and the projector is in a better format. Looking forward to Yelobird’s version to compare. Video is the same as the last I posted.

KINGTOP Disco Party Lights
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0719FFLDV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_HjdjCbHR5K0TD

C88C325B-6062-406C-AC07-420D75A4CA2D (resized).jpegC88C325B-6062-406C-AC07-420D75A4CA2D (resized).jpeg
#2404 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Anyone else had a bug with the Start Chapter? I have noticed in high scoring games, lots of multiballs, etc, that late in the game I will have several qualified chapters, send a ball into the Start Chapter, the post comes up and the ball bounces around, the LCD shows random canon shots firing from chapters, but then the game just hangs for about 5 seconds. Then it releases the ball and fails to actually start a chapter. It will sometimes do this multiple times in a row and then fix itself if I drain and end my current ball.

Yep, same here. Also if you bet your soul on liars dice and lose, the game hangs.

#2410 5 years ago

New goal...get the external sound as good as the headphone sound. Adding on the Polk subwoofer has given the Pirates some extra oomph. Unfortunately the internal speaker layout in the Pirates is tough to work with. Still missing a lot of low-midrange tones that you pick up with the headphones. So may be looking at an external solution to fill in the gaps. Will see. Would love a direct replacement solution.

#2455 5 years ago

Tried to search the posts for cannon issues. I thought I saw one before but didn’t find anything.

The issue that just started popping up is that the cannon was missing right. I noticed the Dauntless has a lot of front to back play in it. When pushed all the way back, it was making the shot easily. When it wiggles its way forward the shot misses right. Is there a physical adjustment for the cannon or should I look at the Dauntless for an adjustment to take some of the play out you think?

#2457 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

How is your Pearl range of motion? I’d look at that, as I had to tweak mine a bit before I was happy with its home position. Having done this, the Dauntless bullseye is now an easy center shot every time.

Where in the rocking do you launch the cannon? If I don’t hit it right at the top, it does not make it and even then it skips off the bottom. My Pearl never goes up to the top of the slot like I believe yours did. Just wondering if mine is too low or if you are supposed to launch at the top of the arc.

#2459 5 years ago

Don’t know if that fixed the right to left or not but that definitely was an issue. Add this to the things to check for new games. Mine was all the way up. Will try it out in the morning but thanks for the insights. The Pearl rocking arm should be centered in the slot. Will try the cannon shot again in the morning and see if mine now takes the center of the rocking to make the ship shot centered as well. Will also check the coil power on the cannon shot.

#2461 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Sweet, glad it helped. I did add examination and calibration of this bar to my unboxing checklist.
After doing this fix, I found the Pearl played a lot better and it was now possible to trap the ball on the left flipper (in certain lower-speeds.)

Bummer, even at high speeds I was able to do this! Lol. Guess I need to erase those high scores!

#2465 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Couple of suggestions. Sounds like your Black Pearl is moving correctly only possibly not centering for proper target. I would calibrate first as thats a simple process. Second, know that the metal linkage with 2 screws (talked about several times for early owners myself included) is a slotted bracket. Its possible yours needs to be mechanically adjusted so it makes a full travel up. Sounds like yours is in the fully down slot position. Finally, just because one person can make the target shot from center doesn't mean your coil settings are the same. There is a setting for the cannon coil power, it's possible yours might be a bit low and needs to be slightly bumped up if you don't want to fire from the cannon up position. Basically making a jump shot instead of a volley. Good luck Im sure you will get it working perfectly.

There looks to be a cannon fire and a cannon eject setting. What is the difference?

#2474 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Ok Buccaneers, how about a Friday How To tutorial on making your own Davy Jones! NOT for sale just a tutorial so please don't ask! lol Start with a not so easy to find but attainable if you keep an eye on Ebay Davy Jones Series 1 7" figure. Incredible detail and a perfect scale fit! Start with a simple nut cracker move and literally Crack him in half at the waist. While his mid section does have a plate of plastic it seemed a bit to thin for my long term liking so I added a printed solid plastic reenforcement plate and super glue. Center and match holes in removed barrel and Tom figure. Ok, this part is a bit more invasive but really Not that hard. As this figure does not have articulating elbows his arms would Not work in our spinning application with the ramps so he needed to be Persuaded to conform. Using a heat gun Slowly apply heat to his elbow. You'll know when you're there when you see a little smoke and they bend easy. To fare and you get fire. Bend both arms to 90 degrees and add rubber bands till they heat set to the correct shape. A few minutes. After mounting him its time to give that lovely cape a needed trim. I found just below the barrel top edge is perfect and still looks Flowey. (is that a word?) One detail that is IMPORTANT, after you dry fit him and make sure all spins perfect you Need to apply a small amount of super glue to All joints to lock them in place. He won't love it but he Can't move or raise his arms when spinning!! Also note how I arranged and glued his right hand tentacle to the barrel for a nice look. Spins great and other then some casual hobby time really not that hard to do. Plus on a CE this is simply Spot On! Hope this helps. Do let me know if there is anything I forgot to explain. Play on ye scurvy Pirates!!!!
The Mod Couple
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Absolutely brilliant on the CE! Great job as always.

And thanks for Jack the monkey. He is up causing mischief on the Black Pearl and looks great!

#2506 5 years ago
Quoted from wcbu64:

Thanks Dave! When you say “pry,” do you mean just pull it apart or do we need to pry with a screwdriver or something? Also, I got a Series 3 drunk Capt. Sparrow (thought it fitting to spin in the barrel) so hope it’s made the same.

I needed a screw driver but it did finally break.

#2625 5 years ago

Interesting I have been having alignment issues as well when I hadn’t before.

Will check the wires now.

Also for those following, the amp connected off of the split at the cpu didn’t work. The line level between the cpu and the internal JJP amp is rediculously low. Had to crank up my sub to max and the external amp for the external speakers would never get loud enough. Back to the drawing board on getting good sound out of this.

#2633 5 years ago

Here is from mine. With the Dauntless pushed all the way back, it still hits the side but generally goes in. When the Dauntless slides forward, there is no way. There is no wiggle room on the Pearl as it is up against the ramp and does not move at all. Is there a physical adjustment to the cannon direction?

Oh and my wires were not tight at all to the Dauntless switch.

C7FF1DF5-E1D3-4370-BE61-0D44DCBFC7AA (resized).jpegC7FF1DF5-E1D3-4370-BE61-0D44DCBFC7AA (resized).jpegEB72F77A-C0D6-4D32-BFA0-4F2F1D675412 (resized).jpegEB72F77A-C0D6-4D32-BFA0-4F2F1D675412 (resized).jpeg

#2636 5 years ago

When y'all turn your machine on, while booting up, do any of y'all hear a really loud feedback click or two ff the speakers?

Yep, scares me every time. Sounds like I am going to pop the speakers. Like I said, the line level out of the CPU is really low so they have to amp the signal up pretty significantly. It works, but I am guessing may also increase the audio pops on startup. Also amps any static they have on the line which i am guessing may contribute to the audio pops we hear during the game.

#2663 5 years ago

Here’s mine that I posted previously. Still nothing from JJP on this which drives me crazy. In mid-Dec Jack said he was going to talk to his production guys on the post. So hopefully for the new guys this is fixed.

Calling again on Monday. You can see on the one, the post cut a perfect circle into the playfield with the black ring all the way around but a chip after that. You can see the posts have mushroomed. I changed out to a star post for now to stop the effects.

0DC2A81C-9685-42A0-A4AA-4594FA1A0247 (resized).jpeg0DC2A81C-9685-42A0-A4AA-4594FA1A0247 (resized).jpeg8D3BEFDA-7C61-4862-AA35-0395439985B7 (resized).jpeg8D3BEFDA-7C61-4862-AA35-0395439985B7 (resized).jpegC6551AC8-F115-421A-84CD-50A6BCEE0B54 (resized).jpegC6551AC8-F115-421A-84CD-50A6BCEE0B54 (resized).jpegC9C89E78-A81A-4B3E-B789-9E902E5E8FE9 (resized).jpegC9C89E78-A81A-4B3E-B789-9E902E5E8FE9 (resized).jpeg
#2684 5 years ago
Quoted from Mindcrime:

Is anybody else having an issue with the VUK up to the black pearl? I will hear the callout “Welcome aboard” and hear the VUK engage but then the ball rolls out from under the black pearl into the pops. Happens about half the time.

Nope, that is a new one for me.

#2719 5 years ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

I don't think so, yours seems to be more program solution and the way it's meant to be. Mine might actually be lack of clearance or out not holding up. (Loose)
When I run the coil check, it does this:

Others have had this including myself. Just need to physically bend an arm down. Check the thread, I know there were pics of what to do.

#2832 5 years ago

A couple more items, curious to hear the owners' feedback:
1) Often times when shooting the inner loop, the ball will drop into the pearl ship area and go up on the ship. Doesn't seem like it should be happening.
2) Auto-plunge is all sorts of jacked up..not sure if it's wireform or what.

Same here. Can’t figure out what is going on with the auto launch. Always gets there but I have no idea what is happening when it doesn’t. Will try the slo mo video idea.

#2908 5 years ago
Quoted from JordanB:

For those having trouble with tortuga VUK shooting straight down the middle, or aiming inconsistently regardless of the coil strength, here's what I did.
My two screws were loose on the bracket directing the ball.
[quoted image]
Unfortunately, this required taking apart the pop to get access under the skirt. A bit of a pain removing Tom and the motor, but easier once I realized the order to do things. (remove Tom using an allen key on the side, not the screws on the top)
What's odd is that these screws seem to be covered by a plate for the vuk assembly on the underside. Presumably the screws aren't actually hitting the plate, but it also means you can't have a locking nut holding these screws in place. I worry that they'll just loosen up again.
[quoted image]
Also... yes, I'm seeing some minor chipping around the hole. Very disappointing for a HUO, low play game -- but so far the only instance I've seen. I've applied some nail hardener around the edge to hopefully prevent it from getting worse.

Tightened the scoop a while ago just to have it loosen again.

1 week later
#3057 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

There is also a Kraken video clip where it just sucks a ship down into the ocean. Comes up randomly after draining a ball.

And if you beat the Kraken wizard mode there is an awesome clip of the Kraken from the movie.

#3066 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Can pirates be connected to pinnovators 4 in 1 subwoofer mixer? I tried a 3.5mm y split but when plugged in I get nothing on the sub.

I believe your problem probably is the line level on the POTC. It is really low. I had to add a pre-amp to it to get the external to work well.

#3070 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

If I tap off the cabinet subwoofer directly, would I still need a preamp or is that signal strong enough since it is directly to the sub?

That is the amplified signal. I have not done it but it is definitely amplified.

#3071 5 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

There is a volume adjustment on the pinovators mixer box for each input. Did you crank that all the way up?

If it is just a mixer and not a powered amp, you will need that all the way up and your sub all the way up. When I had it direct, I had to turn the sub to max volume. Didn’t want to do that as the speaker pops may have damaged the sub. Amazon has a very cheap pre amp you can add in.

#3072 5 years ago

Just looked...not exactly very cheap...$50.

Mini High-Gain Stereo Audio Booster With Volume Control https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018IKIX02/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.cCsCbSPFVCC4

But it works.

#3080 5 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

I've never had an issue with any machine I've owned in regards to sub hook up. I simply solder wires directly to the subwoofer in the cab and run them to a powered sub. The hobbit rocks and I have that sub on LOW. Is POTC an oddball here for some reason? I sure hope not. The subwoofer is the first thing/mod I hook up!

Not with that method. I just wanted a less permanent method with a Y cable on the 3.5mm jack. The Y cable on the line level is the issue, not if you tap after the amp.

#3099 5 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

But what type of subs are you guys using. I saw one on crutchfield for 140 with amp. Also it has a left and right input, how would this be hooked up?
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107PSW10B/Polk-Audio-PSW10-Black.html

Um...huh

Polk Audio PSW10 10-Inch Powered Subwoofer (Single, Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002KVQBA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_UcZsCbHAYHYJ9

Just use one input, it is fine. Additional clips on the pinball cabinet sub speaker to one of the inputs on the external subwoofer.

#3109 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

So, if your topper is off center...take it from me, just live with it. Don’t try to fix it.
It looked like two easy screws on either end so I attempted it tonight.
There is a threaded rod apparently built into the bracket in the center which screws into the backbox somehow. I couldn’t feel any nut inside the backbox so it’s probably some kind of socket in the wood. Definitely not a simple fix.
I gave up and reassembled.
I need to replace the black plastic plugs now but otherwise no worse for the experience.

Ugh...thanks for letting us know.

#3117 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I still would prefer something that doesn’t stand out as much like a smoked grey translucent protector. This game doesn’t need fluorescent and vibrant.
Anyone else interested in something like this?

Yes, this. If nobody comes out with one, I will mock up a few sets. We have access to a Glowforge and can cut these. Just need to create the vector file and find the right material.

#3166 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

So pissed right now. Bought Tilt graphics "Kraken" art blades. They looked beautiful. One side done, then moved to next side. Then lowered playfield and RIP! Both sides tore. This cabinet is so damn tight there is no room. Mirrors=scratched. Art blades=torn. Screw you JJP! I will get over it...but pissed at the moment. My advice...leave the sides alone.

Bummer, I just picked up the same set. Will let you know if mine does the same. Although my Hobbit blades are getting torn up too.

#3212 5 years ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

I've only had this game for three weeks, but I'm a bit overwhelmed with the difficulty still, so is my wife. I'm hoping time will bring the enjoyment back.
She keeps drifting back to Dialed In and I keep drifting back to Iron Maiden. :/

You can also tweak the difficulty of the game if the rules are tough for you. You can layer on multiballs like crazy if you set it up easy enough. My 11 year old loves it and is certainly not a great player. As said above, I think all the shots are makeable with the exception of the Devils Triangle shot through the spinner. That is hard, but consistent. Same with the Tortuga shot.

#3216 5 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

I agree with villathrills
I moved the ship and spot character posts out and rubber on the right lane save. Makes it easier and I love getting the R/lane ball save. I have got it down and save it 90% of the time.
I also made the ball save 10 seconds. This one helps the kids and new learners as they often forget about the upper R/flipper.

Have to laugh because I get frustrated now with games that don’t have that right ball save! Lol. Every game should now have that standard IMHO.

#3281 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

So pissed right now. Bought Tilt graphics "Kraken" art blades. They looked beautiful. One side done, then moved to next side. Then lowered playfield and RIP! Both sides tore. This cabinet is so damn tight there is no room. Mirrors=scratched. Art blades=torn. Screw you JJP! I will get over it...but pissed at the moment. My advice...leave the sides alone.

Well, got mine in and they are perfect. Does not rub the sides at all. But, I also have the Pinstadium magnets in there. They get scraped first and actually save the side art. I love the graphics. Exactly what I was looking for. Hard to get a good shot of them.

C58B5BF9-FF51-4BE5-950C-383489133871 (resized).jpegC58B5BF9-FF51-4BE5-950C-383489133871 (resized).jpeg7A56C020-7F3B-4CA0-A6ED-DB3FD1F84F04 (resized).jpeg7A56C020-7F3B-4CA0-A6ED-DB3FD1F84F04 (resized).jpeg9FAB5A84-7666-4557-8DF5-07B7B00F1166 (resized).jpeg9FAB5A84-7666-4557-8DF5-07B7B00F1166 (resized).jpeg
#3301 5 years ago
Quoted from Genjuro:

Those look as good as I thought they would! I was hesitant to install mine until i had an extra pair of hands to help.
I also have my pinstadium lights ready to install at the same time. Where did you hook up the UV glow flasher?
Any other notes that might be helpful?

They are awesome hooked to the shaker motor. Try all blue and no white too, gives the game an eerie glow. The UV hit looks like lightning. I was surprised at how good they actually are on this game. Thought they would be too bright but you can dial it wherever you want.

#3362 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Thanks so much for the kind feedback. If you have time, could you post a picture of the pinstadium lights results here or in the PS thread. Considering it just not sure if I should make the leap. Thanks!!

Here was mine... I took out all the spots in the game

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pin-stadium-lights-official-announcement/page/69#post-4696259

#3364 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Did you end up sorting out the LED light for the water effect

Yes and no. Ended up soldering something together and using the extra USB from the backbox PC to power it so it does turn on and off with the game. Overall like the look, but no where near as plug and play as I would have liked. Pretty much pulled all the electronics out and wired direct. Still a fun effect but really a pain to implement.

Ended with this one with a bit less green in it.

#3406 5 years ago
Quoted from phoenixpin:

Separate rules related question (possible bug?): I was in movie 4 wizard mode. Once I started wizard mode I noticed Tortuga Multiball was lit. So I figured I’d go for it and it would get me a ton of points with the wizard mode. When I started Tortuga though, the Wizard mode ended and when I was out of multiball it was gone. Anyone else noticed this?

Yes. Also if you are in a multiball and load the cannon and start a chapter, you can’t fire the cannon. Chapter starts and it just dribbles the ball out of the cannon. Seems to be a couple overlapping scenarios like this that don’t quite hit right yet. Still early code.

#3514 5 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

Pirate club ??? I heard JJP stopped production on the game ? Has anyone else hear this ?!! Something to do with
The rights ? Lets just say it was s little birdie that’s all I heard ???

First I had heard that...hope it’s not true. They said they only had a handful of DIs left and no other titles in stock currently. Everyone assumed/hoped they were working on starting the next title. Would certainly put a premium on the ones in the wild.

#3517 5 years ago

On a different note, I know we debate whether or not the top 100 really is worthwhile...but...I have not played Iron Maiden that much as I just can’t get past the theme. People really seem to like it. For those that do like it, do you think it really should be rated better than Pirates? Just curious. For me Pirates is still my #1 followed very close by The Hobbit. It just matches what I like in pinball.

#3654 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

I wouldn’t believe everything you read on the internet. :p

This isn’t the Internet, this is Pinside!!!

oh wait...

#3803 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Actors is the one thing they don't have besides Gibbs doing the callouts

After owning it for a while now I have to agree. The only thing you can really say negatively on the game is the movie integration. Not that it is bad, not by a long shot. Just doesn’t have the heavy integration of The Hobbit or Star Wars.

For me, this is probably a good thing as the theme based on the movies doesn’t do much for me. The pirate theme is cool though. So just so you have that expectation, I think it is a must have for any size collection including as the only machine.

Now honestly, I don’t know if I will do another first run purchase. The chipped playfield with no offer to replace or even purchase at cost was poor. I am glad they fixed this issue and many other items for future buyers. Just don’t know if getting it early was worth it.

#4051 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Just curious what color flipper rubber is everyone going with on this game? Obviously clear titan silicon everywhere else.

Blue titans

8E8B401A-8499-4003-A990-AD4F329E8AE6 (resized).jpeg8E8B401A-8499-4003-A990-AD4F329E8AE6 (resized).jpeg
#4053 5 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

I just installed mirror blades on mine this weekend. It was tight, but I got them in. Love the way that they look!

For me, the art blades did just fine especially with the PinStadium magnets helping center the playfield.

77CB9B0F-F538-496F-8F8C-C438F9C52D84 (resized).jpeg77CB9B0F-F538-496F-8F8C-C438F9C52D84 (resized).jpeg
#4077 5 years ago

With the Pin Stadiums on and off as I know they aren’t everyone’s cup of tea. But for this pin, I love them. Now to get Tilt to make some new apron decals to match.

D610D4BB-D424-47B6-B294-2CA675E86D86 (resized).jpegD610D4BB-D424-47B6-B294-2CA675E86D86 (resized).jpeg103B667F-FADC-4BEC-99D2-50E2FE022B1B (resized).jpeg103B667F-FADC-4BEC-99D2-50E2FE022B1B (resized).jpeg78A0E538-7D0C-48D4-B491-AC302AA6FB43 (resized).jpeg78A0E538-7D0C-48D4-B491-AC302AA6FB43 (resized).jpeg8550D24B-73B8-4CDA-8832-7AED3A2C3C6D (resized).jpeg8550D24B-73B8-4CDA-8832-7AED3A2C3C6D (resized).jpegB80F89FF-6A7D-4861-8C0A-FB0E9C85C5ED (resized).jpegB80F89FF-6A7D-4861-8C0A-FB0E9C85C5ED (resized).jpeg

#4080 5 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Has anyone switched out their 12 volt spotlights? I had one go out (just requested a replacement). I'm wondered if there any any better options. I'm looking for one that it set back in the housing further. The factory ones stick out quite a bit and are bright when seen from the side. I'm looking for something that just projects the light forward.
Would either of these work?
https://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/8smdminit10.htm
https://www.titanpinball.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=17&product_id=77
https://cointaker.com/products/copy-of-1-89-flat-8-0c82c6fd-e922-4d87-96be-bc44e8d96f3e

I went with the Pin Stadiums and pulled all of the spot lights out FWIW. I think the playfield looks much better. You can actually see everything now without the spots in the way. Just much more world under glass appearance than with the spots in.

#4086 5 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

The GI on the lower half of your playfield looks turned off. There is zero glow under the slings or outlane guides. That's why it looks so dark. I do like how the Pin Stadiums light up your art blades.

I took the pics on character select so you could see without the playfield lights shining off colors on the side art.

#4088 5 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

How bad is the zebra effect?

It pops up on the rails but that is about it. I generally set them on only blue with no white at all. Gives the game an eerie glow and reduces the number of lights on the rails. With the ramps being plastic you don’t get the crazy zebra stripe like you do on Deadpool for example. The first two pics are pretty representative.

#4110 5 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

What size speakers are in this? I always replace all the speakers in my Stern games with Kicker or Pioneer in the back and a Pyle sub in the cab and it makes a huge difference.

Good luck with that. You have to take the entire backbox and motherboard apart to get to them. Let us know if you are successful and if it does anything. I am guessing they are 4”.

5B39F15B-24A3-428F-BBA8-CC02931A100C (resized).jpeg5B39F15B-24A3-428F-BBA8-CC02931A100C (resized).jpeg

#4198 5 years ago
Quoted from RPZ:

Those blades look awesome! I just bought a Pirates, and getting it delivered tomorrow! Can’t wait. Keeping an eye out and see so many cool mods.
Have you or anyone here seen where we can get this one from? It’s so much better from just having the pirate on the pop bumper![quoted image]

Post 2473 I believe. Around page 50. You make it yourself if you can find the character.

#4246 5 years ago
Quoted from Energyspike:

Current issue, Black pearl gate to the cannon will open with spinner then load target etc. However, when pressing the left flipper it immediately closes and the same for the right flipper but takes a few flips before it closes. Any ideas of where to start.....? LTG......

You probably have a sensitive switch hit someplace. Go to the switch matrix test and hit the right side of the cabinet to see if something registers.

#4265 5 years ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

Sure. The auto plunger has not been consistent on my machine no matter what coil strength setting I tried. Frequently the ball would barely make it past the pop bumpers. Sometimes to the back entrance to the Pearl and only every so often would it make it around the for a full orbit. I was trying to figure out how to adjust the forks on the auto plunger because of the slop. On mine the coil itself was a little loose and sloppy in the brackets. So I tried two zip ties on the coil. It has made a world of difference.
[quoted image]

Unfortunately didn’t fix my issues. Will try to take some slow motion video and see what’s up.

#4393 5 years ago

Started to have some opto issues on the ball trough.

**EDIT** OK, figured out the ball actually isn’t rolling down all the way in the trough...not an opto issue. Going to try cleaning first. Any other recommendations?

9C1DB38E-336E-4C3A-8F48-6125B655AFD0 (resized).jpeg9C1DB38E-336E-4C3A-8F48-6125B655AFD0 (resized).jpeg

#4525 5 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

I am interested to know what other folks shooter lanes look like?
Mine has that cool, darkened wood look!

Not mine...but I love that look!

1 week later
#5340 5 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

I’ve yet to officially order my POTC, I had to sell a couple of pins first- selling 2 tomorrow. I’ve seen a lot of you mention issues right out of the box, and that makes me a little nervous. Does anyone regret their purchase?

Not at all even with my early run issues.

#5361 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Interesting that you came to JJPOTC from SW. I did as well. I was specifically impressed by the character/mission concept that SW started and Pirates took even further. I like this as a way to mix things up and reduce repetition in pins.
I am drawn to this kind of pin as a keeper to own. Simpler more linear pins are fun, but ones I'd play on location rather than buy.

Same here. Need something deep. SW is a keeper for us as well.

#5573 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Starting to wonder if Cliffy's are even necessary on this game? I was looking back at post #4636 from f3honda4me and after 1k plays he doesn't have anywhere at the map or Tortuga areas. If there's one spot I can see a Cliffy being needed just incase its at the Tortuga area as that is a ball eject area. However, the map shot may not need a Cliffy protector as the ball only falls into that area versus being kicked out. Sounds like those areas have mylar applied from the factory. Still, I thought I read about a couple people that had damage in those areas after minimal play.

Many need it. Around the MAP hole most of our Mylar has bubbled. Just installed mine. Much better. Not easy to do. Did take a pic of the pivot points under the ship. That always seems to be a question.

7B10D418-73E5-4D7E-9314-BCA151FF591A (resized).jpeg7B10D418-73E5-4D7E-9314-BCA151FF591A (resized).jpeg
#5592 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinzzz:

Did your game come with that magnet protector? if not, where did you get it? did you have to modify it to get it to fit?

Came like that

#5593 5 years ago
Quoted from Heater:

So I spent the night loading the cannon and firing it, the shots are hitting the right side of the hole and not going in. Want does everyone think? Is it the pearl that’s out of alignment of the dauntless?

Mine does the same...haven’t solved yet. It is close enough to still go in.

#5681 5 years ago
Quoted from Ramjet:

I have had the same problem from day one so I submitted a support ticket about this on January 14th and have heard absolutely nothing back from JJP!
I would imagine that other people have the same problem but probably think they are not timing their shot correctly and don't realize that the two ships are not aligned like they should be. I'm hoping more people start bringing this to JJP's attention so that it can be addressed with some type of fix.

So I finally got to this tonight. The cannon rail is only held in by 4 screws. There isn’t much play in it but enough to unscrew a little, twist the right direction (toward my thumb in the pic) and tighten back down. This was enough for me to realign and get a center shot repeatedly.

It is the 4 screws by the u channel, not the 4 nuts. Unfortunately in the pic my cannon mod covers the other side screws.

69F1B7D3-D502-4686-9E90-FB051BB7DFBD (resized).jpeg69F1B7D3-D502-4686-9E90-FB051BB7DFBD (resized).jpeg

#5727 5 years ago
Quoted from ngg:

New issue.....
Intermittently when a ball drains sdtm with the ball save light on, ball will not be put back into shooter lane. Machine goes into ballsearch mode then acts as if ball was drained. Next ball is then given.
Thoughts?

For me balls were not rolling down completely in the trough. Dirty trough from waxing. Possible magnetized balls too.

1 week later
#6010 5 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

Where those the standard size villathrills ?

Yep, look good and fit just fine. Have not had any issues with the ball getting stuck or anything.

From same post...

F8A0FBC4-4845-4B58-90E3-1C11A10D51F7 (resized).jpegF8A0FBC4-4845-4B58-90E3-1C11A10D51F7 (resized).jpeg
#6023 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

So these replace the existing posts, and they help because they're splayed out a bit more than standard posts?
If the game ships with metal washers, should I keep them in place and also add these?
Thanks everyone for your additional comments and suggestions and links!

Correct. For me it covered up any chipping that had happened. The original thin posts had an edge on it that dig into the playfield artwork and eventually chipped the playfield. I put nail polish on those spots to stop any further and this post over top. The color matches pretty well at least on the bottom posts but that is personal preference.

#6025 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinzzz:

Did you replace all 6 posts under the 2 slings...or just the bottom 2 ?

For mine, just the bottom ones. The top was close but I caught it before it cut through. I put a clear coat on the top ones.

#6089 5 years ago
Quoted from RPZ:

Did this end the chipping? Or did the clear bubble up around them also?

Only chipped at the bottom posts. I also sanded down the other post flat on the bottom. And for me, cliffy’s were a must. Had damage at the map and Tortuga holes.

1 month later
#8451 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

We have Cliffies installed. Zero rejects.

Same here...no problems

1 week later
#9101 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Really. I enjoy POTC and DI so much it has me thinking about giving Hobbit a shot.

Love my Hobbit

1 week later
#9506 4 years ago
Quoted from Coindropper:

I have to say, this dauntless mod by Mezel mods really looks great once installed![quoted image]

Wow...hadn’t seen that one before. Thanks for posting.

#9518 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Looking into getting the disk silencer (among other things) myself. Does this kit silence the disk for good or do you still have some lingering noise? This, to me, might be the most important upgrade of all

It’s to the point that I don’t realize if it is spinning or not from the noise that drowns everything else out. Just a part of the game sounds now. Would never say completely quite as it is still a motor. But no longer sounds out of place.

2 weeks later
#10416 4 years ago

Thanks Mezel Mods for the dress up of the ships. Color is a bit off but actually not that noticeable in real life.

852D711D-1C18-47E5-BF3C-9AFD0ECB4C36 (resized).jpeg852D711D-1C18-47E5-BF3C-9AFD0ECB4C36 (resized).jpeg36AE6EBA-5A85-41B7-B1FD-F6E2826DD479 (resized).jpeg36AE6EBA-5A85-41B7-B1FD-F6E2826DD479 (resized).jpeg
4 weeks later
#11242 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Btw here are the pop bumpers with the black/clear with the game on. Makes a HUGE visual improvement, highly recommended.[quoted image]

Played a game tonight. Never noticed the white pop bumpers until now. And now of course I can't unsee it! Who would put white bumpers on this game? lol.

#11272 4 years ago

Holy cow...what a game. Actually finished 2 wizard modes. Blew my old GC out of the water by a ton. Don’t know that I will ever match that again.

B29D20D2-24FE-4C83-A181-30C993ABFC7F (resized).jpegB29D20D2-24FE-4C83-A181-30C993ABFC7F (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#11410 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Potc is likely the best game ever made. If you look at the top pinside games, the only knock against the game is theme and integration with the actual movies. Personally it’s not an issue for me as once I play, I completely forget about it, but I could see why it may turn someone off. Rest is all 10s. For me, however, I find hobbit to be as much or more immersive.

Completely agree. I think The Hobbit is under-rated because of the layout. But the theme integration and immersion I think is the best ever. The Battle of Five Armies and killing Smaug is epic. Wish Pirates would have that one impossible shot.

1 month later
#12037 4 years ago
Quoted from evh347:

Remove the Mylar (especially if bubbling). Not doing so will put enough pressure on the Cliffy that it won’t sit flush and will impact the ball.

^^ that

#12051 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Just got my cliffys as well. Are you removing Mylar even if it is still perfect and laying flat?

Just so it is flat, I would leave it. Many of us the Mylar at the map hole had lifted. Couldn’t get the Cliffy to lay flat like it was.

1 month later
#12639 4 years ago

Ok, so if you guys followed the early days of my posts, you would find that I have been trying to get our beloved POTC to perform on the audio side with external subwoofer and external amps and speakers. I knew the sound was there as you can hear it when you play through headphones.

Well I took the plunge on the PinWoofer setup. When I got it I almost backed out when I saw the install instructions. Be warned this is more invasive than some mods. But I was determined to get good sound out of this.

Let me just say, if you believe this game is the GOAT, you must do this mod. The bass from the upgraded woofer goes well beyond my external Polk. It provides such a great tactile feedback that you don’t get with the external sub. It was a seamless transition between the bass and the shaker. So much so I actually had to check if the shaker was still working.

Be warned, this isn’t for everyone but for those that are keeping this game forever, I highly recommend the upgrade. This and Pinballj/Harry’s trunk mod and you are set for what I believe is one of the greatest pinball experiences ever. I did make a makeshift cover for the amp just to protect it from falling screws. Otherwise the kit has everything you need.

So, how do I get this sound in the rest of my collection?

#12642 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

Could you post a video of your install?

Will do.

It’s basically unsoldering the connections at each speaker and woofer. Those wires get new connectors added and go into 2 new amps (1 for the back box and 1 for the cabinet woofer). So the wires that used to go directly to your speakers now go to a new amp.

The back box amp then connects to the back box mids and new connectors put on the tweeters.

The woofer gets unsoldered and gets completely replaced. New connectors into the amp and connected to a dual coil woofer.

So more involved but if you are comfortable fixing your machine yourself, you should be fine with this.

3 months later
#13754 4 years ago

That is the missing piece to me. There really isn’t that one awesome shot like killing Smaug, there isn’t the tough but attainable end epic adventure like LOTR. It is just solid pinball with a theme that for me was just ok. Don’t get me wrong, it is a masterpiece. But not sure I won’t eventually part with it.

1 week later
#13905 4 years ago

As others have started to post, I just got notice of my replacement playfield shipping.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Wanted
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

29,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk

$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider VillaThrills.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club?tu=VillaThrills and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.